BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CactusTri's Group -- RECLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-02-14 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1112369

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
Subject: RE: CactusTri's Group -- REOPEN
After blowing off core training for the last 3 years, I'm making a commitment to the group.

I will work my core at least three times a week. There I said and I can't take it back. No more excuses.

Scot

2008-02-14 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1210995

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenni G - 2008-02-13 7:09 PM

Steven,

What is the run distance on IMAZ? I noticed you were scheduled to run 9 miles tonite and it made me wonder what distance you were training for in April?

Jenni,

IMAZ is a full Ironman: 2.4 mile swim (in a pretty gross lake), 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile marathon run. Sounds like fun right? I'm trying to get 40-50 miles of running in a week, so that means I need a few medium distance runs (5-7) and at least one longer (8-10) in addition to a few shorter EZ and one long run. Wed nites are fun. Several of the group I run with on Wed are training for IM, several for the same April race as me, and others for the November AZ race, so we have started running the exact run course the race uses. It is a 3 loop run course that is basically a figure 8, so we usually do 1 full loop for about 9 miles and then sometimes, some of us will add either the big part (~5.5 miles) or the small part (~3.5) and sometimes, one guy will go for 2 full loops for an 18 mile midweek run.
2008-02-14 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1211265

User image

Extreme Veteran
AndriaLL - 2008-02-13 9:33 PM

Are you still "reopen"? I would like to join your group. Thanks.

Andria

We can take 1 more. Welcome!
2008-02-14 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1211663

User image

Extreme Veteran
ScotInMinnesota - 2008-02-14 7:59 AM

After blowing off core training for the last 3 years, I'm making a commitment to the group.

I will work my core at least three times a week. There I said and I can't take it back. No more excuses.

Scot

Scot,

That is dangerous, but you are "on the hook" now and we will hold you to it. You can go back and edit your post, but not mine so no going back now. (Good for you. I keep saying I will start doing more core work, weights, etc, but I don't. Maybe I should.... Nope. Not today.)
2008-02-14 10:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Scot,
Good tips on bike pedal form. I've been on a road bike exactly three times so far and its obvious I am completely clueless. Trying to pedal correctly gives me something to concentrate on instead of the pain in my shoulders and neck!

On the core strength, I've been working with a trainer for about 9 mths now. I also suffer from back aggravation after a long run. A strong core makes all the difference in the world!
2008-02-14 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Steven,

I'm totally in awe! I've only run one marathon and it just about killed me. You are my new hero.

2008-02-14 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
OK, since we have had some newcomers and some members that have quietly faded away, I think it would be a good idea to do a quick check-in to see who is here. We'll keep in short, and if you have already introduced yourself ( I think everyone but AndriaLL has), just follow my lead:

USERNAME - First Name (or nickname) - Next milestone (race or training milestone)
CactusTriathlete - Stephen - Ironman AZ in April

2008-02-14 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1212000

User image

Colorado

CactusTriathlete - 2008-02-14 9:54 AM OK, since we have had some newcomers and some members that have quietly faded away, I think it would be a good idea to do a quick check-in to see who is here. We'll keep in short, and if you have already introduced yourself ( I think everyone but AndriaLL has), just follow my lead: USERNAME - First Name (or nickname) - Next milestone (race or training milestone) CactusTriathlete - Stephen - Ironman AZ in April

AndriaLL-Andria-Snowman Stampede on the 23rd of February

And my intro: 

I am a complete newbie.  I have never done a triathlon.  I just learned to swim in September, then had foot surgery in October.  Because of the type of surgery, and foot pain, I can't flutter kick and can only do breast and side strokes right now.  I can ride a bike, although most of my biking has been mountain and stationary as of right now.  I am just getting back into running after foot surgery.  It still acts up alot, and randomly so I can't really predict what will and what won't hurt.  I also have this nagging chronic illness which flares up here and there preventing me from being as active as I'd like.  I take meds that mess with my heart rate and I will have some questions about that and how it relates to training.

I was a martial artist for many years and have black belts in taekwondo and shotokan karate.  I gave it up this spring as I was required to teach classes (from 4-9:00 p.m.) and take so many classes myself that I had little time for my kids.  I decided to try triathlons as I live right by a lit bike path and belong to a gym--so I can train at night after my girls go to bed. 

So, that's me!  Nice to meet you guys.  I'll have to go back and read the posts so I can get to know you guys.

2008-02-14 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1212160

User image

Veteran
Texas
AndriaLL - welcome!

Chikopiakomak - Karen - Kirkland Wa sprint tri - 9/21

Scot - THANKS! i'll work on that - i don't even have a bike, so trying to find a used one for my 1st bike so i don't have to spend a fortune this season while i get used to it all. Had tired back this AM in swimming, so looks like i need some core work too!!!

JenniG, I'm with you on the bike - haven't been on a group ride/road bike in about 20 yrs!

This week was week one for tri training - 1 spin class and swimming with the local tri training grp this morning - YEAH! now comes the hard part - sticking with it!
2008-02-14 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Andria,

Welcome! Sounds like you have some challenges. I am not a doc, but I have a pretty good understanding of the HR-based training (since that is what I used through my first 2 marathons). I have been interested in martial arts for a long time and would love to learn something. Maybe when I have more time. LOL! I have 2 of my own and that does present scheduling challenges at times.

I think one key to dealing with (or avoiding) injuries is to take it slow. Increase your total weekly distance and long run by 10% or less per week and never increase for more than 3 weeks in a row and on the 4th week (or 3rd if you want to be more cautious) drop your total and longest run by 10-25% to let your body recover.

Welcome and please add the regulars to your "friends list" in the control panel and check in here and/or using the "Inspire Me" function on our logs. You can expect to see some of us dropping by congrats and encouragement on you log from time to time (I try to visit each of my friends at least 1-2 time per week, this group I shoot for 2-3 times per week or more).

2008-02-14 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
ScotInMinnesota - Scot - Square Lake Half Ironman - 9/14/08

2008-02-14 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Jenni G - Jen - Stoneman Triathlon, Spfld, IL, 07/27/08
2008-02-15 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Hi all

I'm seriously non-techy - i responded to myself in my training blog to your encouragements, how lame is that!

Anyway - what i was trying to say to you guys is thanks for the encouragement, it really helps and seeing what everyone is up to helps me stay motivated. Feeling like i'll need that this weekend!

On the HRM - I'm old school, count off 6 seconds on whatever clock is available. Should prob invest in one, especially for riding on the road/open water swims.

Hope you all have a great day!
2008-02-15 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1214574

User image

Colorado

chikopiakomak - 2008-02-15 11:12 AM Hi all I'm seriously non-techy - i responded to myself in my training blog to your encouragements, how lame is that! Anyway - what i was trying to say to you guys is thanks for the encouragement, it really helps and seeing what everyone is up to helps me stay motivated. Feeling like i'll need that this weekend! On the HRM - I'm old school, count off 6 seconds on whatever clock is available. Should prob invest in one, especially for riding on the road/open water swims. Hope you all have a great day!

I think that's easy to do...the "reply" button would imply that you are replying to the person who sent the inspire, right?   I still do that sometimes : )

I bought a HRM recently.  It's too techy for me.  I can monitor my heart rate, but as for setting my zones, alarms, getting high, low and average data--plus data from previous workouts--it's too much for me.  I should have gotten something more simple.  I'm too impatient to read the thick user's manual that came with it so I just look at it every couple of minutes while I'm working out and note the numbers.  I also watch my resting heart rate--which is curious in my case (anywhere from 66 to 116).  I don't know what to do with that data yet....

Anyway, I tend to be old school/non-techy too.

2008-02-15 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1214574

User image

Extreme Veteran
chikopiakomak - 2008-02-15 11:12 AM

I'm seriously non-techy - i responded to myself in my training blog to your encouragements, how lame is that!

Anyway - what i was trying to say to you guys is thanks for the encouragement, it really helps and seeing what everyone is up to helps me stay motivated. Feeling like i'll need that this weekend!

On the HRM - I'm old school, count off 6 seconds on whatever clock is available. Should prob invest in one, especially for riding on the road/open water swims.

Well, there is plenty to learn on the tech side of things, but pedaling, swimming and running can usually be done with very little technology.

While we can't actually go over to your house and drag you out for a run or throw you in the pool, you can count on us "being there" to bug you if you slack off (Scot you done your core work yet?).

I went without a HRM for a long time. My training was simply "put in the miles on my schedule" and I just used the "conversational" pace. For about the first 18 months or so of my running, that plan worked for me and I kept improving. Then when I got the HRM, and I started doing runs at other paces, the HRM was very helpful. Depends on what your goals are. If you just want to get healthier than you are today, probably don't need one. If you have a competitive streak and/or some performance goals that are a bit more aggressive than "just a little better than the last time" you will probably gain some benefit from one. Note, my battery dies about 8 months ago and I haven't gotten around to replacing the battery yet and have still knocked off some serious time from my marathon, HM and 10k PR's, so you don't really need one for solid improvement. On the other hand, if my GPS watch died in a race, I might have a serious freakout attack.

Glad to have you here
2008-02-15 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1214782

User image

Extreme Veteran
AndriaLL - 2008-02-15 12:42 PM
I also watch my resting heart rate--which is curious in my case (anywhere from 66 to 116). I don't know what to do with that data yet....

Anyway, I tend to be old school/non-techy too.

Take a look at this if you want more info on training with HR: http://www.endurancefactor.com/article-zone.htm

A bit techy perhaps, but that is going to be true for most of the HR stuff.

This guy has a FAQ on "Low HR Training" http://formationflier.spaces.live.com/. That is probably a good place to start if you are new to training and using HR to train.

BTW, the best way to get your resting HR is usually right after you wake up (without alarm clock is best) before you even get out of bed. That removes most of the variance caused by other factors (your boss walked by a few minutes ago and asked about your status report, or you are tapping your heel to the beat of some music, etc). That reminds me, I should check mine this weekend as it has been awhile. I checked it about once every week or two when I was first using a HRM and was fascinated by watching it slowly drop as my training improved. It is one of the ways to measure your improvement.

2008-02-16 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1215122

User image

Extreme Veteran
And I just bumped into this with more information on HR training:

http://www.latimes.com/la-he-heartrate11feb11,1,5396727.story
2008-02-17 2:21 PM

Aurora, IL

Hi All,

Username: kim39....name: Kim (suprise suprise...Next race is a 5k March 2nd and my goal is to at least run 1/2 of it, I am not the best runner, but am slowly working on it, I did my first sprint tri in 2005, it felt great but didn't train that well and then the following year I trained better but then got a foot injury which took  me out of racing for the year, last year I did do a sprint tri, with very little training due to life crises but I thought what the heck it got me motivated....this year a different story, life is going good, no excuses this year so ready to train and try to beat my time from 2005, which for me the hardest part will be the run, haven't found that happy euphorium for running they say runners get...  I suppose in time and the never give up attitude I can accomplish that.  So any running pointers will help me immensly. 

2008-02-18 7:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
I heard a phrase the other day in a cycling demonstration. Does anyone know the meaning of "gear masher"?
2008-02-18 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
gear masher - someone who always rides in too high a gear, stomping on the pedals.

I've heard that the ideal pedal speed is about 90 RPM. I'm sure this varies person to person, but it's probably a good target. If your pushing in too hard of a gear, you burn your legs out and then the run part of the triathlon is brutal. If you're pushing hard you are incorporating more of the fast twitch muscles, which fatigue easily.

Here's a link to an article on cycling cadence:
http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/bike/cycling-cadence-001111.php

2008-02-20 1:00 AM

User image

Colorado

Hello everyone,

Well, I really just wanted to say something because we fell to page 2.  How was everyone's weekend?  I was faced with the all-to-frequent challenge of how to get my training in when my husband is out of town and I have the girls to watch.  They are 6 and 9.  I took my 6 year old on a 1 hour 5 minute bike ride on the tagalong.  (Big sissy was playing with friends)  Great workout for me, but I was worried about her falling asleep back there during the 2nd half : )

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well!

2008-02-20 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1219337

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Scot,
This is a great article. It really explains it well. Thanks for posting!
2008-02-20 1:36 PM
in reply to: #1223758

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenni G - 2008-02-20 11:33 AM

Scot,
This is a great article. It really explains it well. Thanks for posting!

1. Thanks.
2008-02-20 3:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Whoops, sorry! I meant the one about the gear mashing and cadence. I also read the heart rate training ones that you posted earlier. Lots of good info. Steven, what % of your mhr composes the majority of your runs? It looks like you run alot of mileage at a much slower pace than you're capable of pulling out.

Also, curious about your pace on treadmill vs out on the road. I know my perceived effort on the treadmill is significantly slower than outdoors. In other words, I work just as hard doing a 12 min mile on the treadmill as I do outside running a 9:45. Does anyone else notice this difference? I think for me its due to the caged in feeling and shortened stride. What do you think?
2008-02-20 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1224293

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenni G - 2008-02-20 2:29 PM

Whoops, sorry! I meant the one about the gear mashing and cadence. I also read the heart rate training ones that you posted earlier. Lots of good info. Steven, what % of your mhr composes the majority of your runs? It looks like you run alot of mileage at a much slower pace than you're capable of pulling out.

Also, curious about your pace on treadmill vs out on the road. I know my perceived effort on the treadmill is significantly slower than outdoors. In other words, I work just as hard doing a 12 min mile on the treadmill as I do outside running a 9:45. Does anyone else notice this difference? I think for me its due to the caged in feeling and shortened stride. What do you think?

Actually I was using internet shorthand for "I agree" (1 = I agree) in that I agree that the article on gears and cadence was a good one. I also had hear the term mashing and had a pretty good handle on it, but the article pointed out a good reason to keep biking cadence and running pace close, so the legs get comfortable maintaining the same pace.

I've told some folks (don't recall who/when/where right now) that I haven't used a HRM for 6-8 months now, since my battery died and I haven't gotten around to getting it replaced. I have done enough running races in the past couple years and have a very solid base of very low hr running to build on. My races have given me some accurate training paces and I have been using them lately, but I want to get my HRM fixed so I can confirm that I am reaching my ideal training zones. I do most of my running at what Daniels calls the "E" pace for Easy. It is about 90 sec per mile slower than my projected marathon (M) pace. I try to do 1-2 "quality" days each week besides my long run. They are either 1/2 or 1 mile repeats with .25 or .5 mile recoveries at a pace that is faster than my projected 5k pace. The other is a tempo run that is usually 6-8 miles mostly at my projected M pace (8:25). It has felt strange to have a huge gap in between my long run pace (9:45) and the next fastest pace (M @ 8:25) but one thing I have heard a lot is that too many people do their easy runs too hard which leaves them to tired to do their hard runs hard enough for max benefit. About 6-7 miles a week right now are much slower than my long run pace as I am working with my 12 yo son who is starting to run and following the C25k (Couch 2 5k) program which involves run/walk intervals. He is still pretty short compared to me (I'm 6'2") so his walk is not a brisk walk for me. I just count them as a separate run and then treat it as a warmup or cool down to my scheduled run. A friend on another board says this: "ever freakin mile that was ahead of you and is now behind you, freakin counts!"

Alas I cannot comment on the treadmill question since I have only run on one 1-2 times in the past 2-3 years. I have heard that the tmill makes speed work easier/harder. easier to keep the speed, harder to recover since you can't "slack" on the pace. But also that the lack of cooling for most makes you more prone to overheating which leads to quicker exhaustion. if this is the case, try putting a fan or two blowing on you while you run to help keep cool.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » CactusTri's Group -- RECLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7