Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-01-22 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3315042

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
ltcsh1 - 2011-01-22 10:52 AM I had a good, easy paced ride this morning and I have a question for all you cold weather people.  How do you stop your nose from running in the cold?  I get lost in my breathing pattern from my nose running and it drives me crazy!  I think  I could get more accommplished if I could breath right (in nose/out mouth)  
What is your suggestions for a bike trainer..fluid or magnetic? For a newbie with limited resources?

Kevin-You keep up the good work to and stay warm. 

Well there is a gross, really gross and a PC answer for me... 

PC: just carry a towel or something to wipe your nose with
Gross: use your glove/sleeve and wash it when done
Really gross: Make sure no one is behind you and do a farmers blow each nostril at a time.  Sorry you asked!! :-)

I have terrible allergies so this is a yearly function for me, middle of summer I have a runny nose.  Even indoors right now at spinning class I carry a towel just to blow my nose.  During a race I am good at looking behind me as I have to do it every 5 minutes.

For a trainer get the best one you can afford.  If you look through the logs someone (sorry I forget) bought a trainer and had two options and they got a great price on them.  Both will work you.

2011-01-22 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I did a brick today: 1:30 on the bike w/ 3X 15 mins @ 50-60 rpm @ 85=90% Then 45 mins on the treadmill 1 X 1 @ 4% in zone 4 2X 2 @ 1.5% in zone 4  I did yoga X 30 min.   Back felt better during the workout.  Sore again now.  Heat pad for a while. 

2011-01-22 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3315383

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2011-01-22 2:56 PM I did a brick today: 1:30 on the bike w/ 3X 15 mins @ 50-60 rpm @ 85=90% Then 45 mins on the treadmill 1 X 1 @ 4% in zone 4 2X 2 @ 1.5% in zone 4  I did yoga X 30 min.   Back felt better during the workout.  Sore again now.  Heat pad for a while. 

awesome workout. 

can you explain the 1x1 and 2x2 on treadmill?

2011-01-22 7:05 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team.

I hope everyone had a great day. For me, swam, curled, biked Smile. I guess you could call it a bit of a triathlon LOL - but not the kind I really want to get good at.

Have a great night.

KC

PS - I need some advice on whether I should swim or work out tomorrow. I meet with my swim coach again on Monday and I have a sneeky suspicion she is going to make me work real hard on Monday and I want to be in good shape to respond. However, I want to swim tomorrow because I dont want to lose the momentum I am feeling in the pool - any advice. I am leaning towards being patient and taking a complete rest day - any suggestions

Thanks.

Edited by kcgolf 2011-01-22 7:09 PM
2011-01-22 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3315641

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
kcgolf - 2011-01-22 7:05 PM Hey Team.

I hope everyone had a great day. For me, swam, curled, biked Smile. I guess you could call it a bit of a triathlon LOL - but not the kind I really want to get good at.

Have a great night.

KC

PS - I need some advice on whether I should swim or work out tomorrow. I meet with my swim coach again on Monday and I have a sneeky suspicion she is going to make me work real hard on Monday and I want to be in good shape to respond. However, I want to swim tomorrow because I dont want to lose the momentum I am feeling in the pool - any advice. I am leaning towards being patient and taking a complete rest day - any suggestions

Thanks.

I am no coach, but if it were me, I would swim nice and easy.  If your coach works you, then good for you for seeing it coming.  If she doesn't then I would work out afterwards, but only if "work out" means lift.
2011-01-22 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
Felt really good in the bike workout today.  Rather than focusing on completing distance (today's called for 12.5 miles) I went for time (40 min).  Really pleased with the results.

Went to a local nutrition store and picked up some protein powder.  That's been the only way I've been able to consume calories and still put "good food" in me.

2011-01-22 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3315686

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
robburkett - 2011-01-22 8:44 PM

Have a great night.

KC

Thanks.

I am no coach, but if it were me, I would swim nice and easy.  If your coach works you, then good for you for seeing it coming.  If she doesn't then I would work out afterwards, but only if "work out" means lift.

Great idea - thanks.

KC
2011-01-22 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
KC    since your still getting comfortable in the pool just swim.  Don't do anything hard just have fun with it and work on a few drills.  Another great thing you can Youtube is skulling, basically just working on how the water reacts to your movements.
2011-01-22 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3315690

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
robburkett - 2011-01-22 8:46 PM Felt really good in the bike workout today.  Rather than focusing on completing distance (today's called for 12.5 miles) I went for time (40 min).  Really pleased with the results.

Went to a local nutrition store and picked up some protein powder.  That's been the only way I've been able to consume calories and still put "good food" in me.

Nice job Rob, what type of protein did you pick up?
2011-01-22 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3315776

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-01-22 9:58 PM KC    since your still getting comfortable in the pool just swim.  Don't do anything hard just have fun with it and work on a few drills.  Another great thing you can Youtube is skulling, basically just working on how the water reacts to your movements.

Thanks Coach.
KC
2011-01-22 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3315131

User image

Expert
I am only getting them after workingout, never during.  I don't get any light headiness or pass out.  they are more just annoying.  That is what the doctor was going to prescribe but he said if they don't bother me no need to medicate.  I am just baffled why they happen.  I was doing 4-5 hour bike/run bricks last summer and didn't get one.  I am wondering if the impact of running affects it.  I do get the highest heart rate from running.  It does have some to do with what Scott mentioned as far as the electrical impulses being off.  Basically I guess my heart is skipping a beat and then doing two to make up.  But like the doc said - absolutley normal.  When I had the Holter monitor on I think they saw 20-30 and doctor said he has seen some patients with hundreds.

For tomorrow I think I am going to run in the gym for my long run.  It is -6 (-13 real feel) right now and I don't really feel like running 2+ hours in that.  I will try 3 miles treadmill, 3 miles indoor track (1/6 mile), 3 miles treadmill, 4 miles track.  We'll see how it goes.

razorxp - 2011-01-22 10:56 AM
tmoran80 - 2011-01-22 12:36 AM So this might be a long post but it is kind of a long story - sorry

A good friend of mine had a similar issue, but he would actually pass out.  His spells hit while driving/running or pretty much anytime they wanted.  He wore the machine for a week with no help. This has been 2 years and they still are not positive of what it is.  Last I heard he went from perfect glucose levels to diabetic in a month, they are hoping thats what was causing it. 

My only advice is no marathon/triathlon or training is worth your life/family/kids.  I don't listen very well to docs when it comes to training (bones/muscles) but when it comes to life threatening I listen (and I live with a MD lol).  Did you ever get on the meds?

2011-01-22 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3315641

User image

Expert
Only in Canada would they have a triathlon like that - haha  As far as the swimming I agree with David - just take it easy and do some light drills and different strokes but not too much as you want to be fresh for your coach so you can really work that stroke technique.  I like the sculling after a really hard TT just to cool down.

Have a great night.

KC

Thanks.

2011-01-22 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3315141

User image

Expert
I go with "Really Gross" - nothing better than a successful snot rocketSurprised

razorxp - 2011-01-22 11:04 AM
ltcsh1 - 2011-01-22 10:52 AM I had a good, easy paced ride this morning and I have a question for all you cold weather people.  How do you stop your nose from running in the cold?  I get lost in my breathing pattern from my nose running and it drives me crazy!  I think  I could get more accommplished if I could breath right (in nose/out mouth)  
What is your suggestions for a bike trainer..fluid or magnetic? For a newbie with limited resources?

Really gross: Make sure no one is behind you and do a farmers blow each nostril at a time.  Sorry you asked!! :-)

I have terrible allergies so this is a yearly function for me, middle of summer I have a runny nose.  Even indoors right now at spinning class I carry a towel just to blow my nose.  During a race I am good at looking behind me as I have to do it every 5 minutes.

For a trainer get the best one you can afford.  If you look through the logs someone (sorry I forget) bought a trainer and had two options and they got a great price on them.  Both will work you.
2011-01-22 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3315141

User image

Expert

Sorry for double post

Edited by tmoran80 2011-01-22 9:37 PM
2011-01-22 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3315836

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
tmoran80 - 2011-01-22 10:36 PM I go with "Really Gross" - nothing better than a successful snot rocketSurprised

razorxp - 2011-01-22 11:04 AM

LOL ^^^^^^ x 2 Embarassed
2011-01-22 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Today's run was a total bust. I got up, ate my piece of toast with peanut butter and headed out the door. When I got to my friends house we discovered that the route had not been cleared by the plows properly, and the narrow roads were now even narrower. It just wasn't safe to navigate so we decided to regroup later in the day and run on the treadmill. She has young kids and has to work around them, so when she called to change the time I had already popped out and we missed our window. I have to do a dreadmill run tomorrow by myself instead. Urgh - stupid snow.

Once I realised I wasn't running today, I moved on to my favorite time of the week - drive day! Went for a 'quick' 9 hour drive up to the mountains and back, stopping off for BBQ on the way and likely consuming a weeks worth of calories Laughing

Tim - I would definitely get your heart issue checked out. I had been convinced I was feeling palpitations in my chest for a while too. I finally got round to seeing my primary care about 10 days ago. She confirmed my heartbeat was irregular and thought I might have a prolapsed valve. Saw the cardio 3 days later, she confirmed my mumur and wants a cardiogram to see the extent of the prolapse. While yours sounds different, when it comes to your heart, you only have one. If in doubt, check it out. It may be absolutely nothing, in which case you can reassure your wife and go about your training. If she is worried and wants you to stop, then her peace of mind alone may be worth a visit?
lol you know what they say..... happy wife = happy life Wink 

2011-01-22 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3315489

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
gabrelsj - 2011-01-22 4:48 PM
IceManScott - 2011-01-22 2:56 PM I did a brick today: 1:30 on the bike w/ 3X 15 mins @ 50-60 rpm @ 85=90% Then 45 mins on the treadmill 1 X 1 @ 4% in zone 4 2X 2 @ 1.5% in zone 4  I did yoga X 30 min.   Back felt better during the workout.  Sore again now.  Heat pad for a while. 

awesome workout. 

can you explain the 1x1 and 2x2 on treadmill?

One minute exertion at 4% with one minute recovery...same 2X2

2011-01-22 11:44 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Too funny Tim, lol (snot rocket) Deb, how do you drive 9 hrs on impulse? Bbq sauce isn't usually too bad, it what the sauce is on.
2011-01-23 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
Hey guys it's me again. Had a busy week at work with lots of extras to do so haven't blogged much. But my logs are up to date (finally)!! As everyone is talking about nutrition I've got a query for the group. I work long hours (usually 12+ hour days) and my meal times are dictated by my customers. I'm normally at work by 8 so breakfast is at 7 - 7:30 and then I have days like Wednesday when I didn't eat again until 3 because we got busy. That was a meal scarfed in about 10 minutes and that was the last chance I had to sit down the rest of the day. So I finished up work at 9 pm and then realized I was VERY hungry and didn't feel like making anything - which lead to the unfortunate decision of Little Caesars at 9 pm. (I am SOOOOO ashamed ) Usually it's not that bad but it does get crazy like that every once in a while. Even on good days I never know when I'm going to eat. I try for 7a, 10a, 1p, 4p, and 6p but that rarely seems to work out. Somewhere around 1 I usually realize I skipped some food somewhere along the way and then I'm playing catch up the rest of the day and then I tend to stay somewhat hungry the rest of the day. And if I don't eat by 6:30 I'm pretty much done until we close. So any ideas or does anyone else deal with a crazy schedule?

Thanks for the help! 
2011-01-23 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3316263

User image

Expert
Not sure what exactly your job entails but how about packing a cooler with your lunch and snacks then try setting you watch alarm to go off every 2 hours to remind you to eat.  I totally understand how the time can fly by and before you know it you haven't eaten in 6 hours.  2 years ago I would go all day with no food.  bad habit.  Once you get usd to constantly snacking/eating it will become second nature fo ryou and your body will let you know its hungry.

sanhador - 2011-01-23 11:06 AM Hey guys it's me again. Had a busy week at work with lots of extras to do so haven't blogged much. But my logs are up to date (finally)!! As everyone is talking about nutrition I've got a query for the group. I work long hours (usually 12+ hour days) and my meal times are dictated by my customers. I'm normally at work by 8 so breakfast is at 7 - 7:30 and then I have days like Wednesday when I didn't eat again until 3 because we got busy. That was a meal scarfed in about 10 minutes and that was the last chance I had to sit down the rest of the day. So I finished up work at 9 pm and then realized I was VERY hungry and didn't feel like making anything - which lead to the unfortunate decision of Little Caesars at 9 pm. (I am SOOOOO ashamed ) Usually it's not that bad but it does get crazy like that every once in a while. Even on good days I never know when I'm going to eat. I try for 7a, 10a, 1p, 4p, and 6p but that rarely seems to work out. Somewhere around 1 I usually realize I skipped some food somewhere along the way and then I'm playing catch up the rest of the day and then I tend to stay somewhat hungry the rest of the day. And if I don't eat by 6:30 I'm pretty much done until we close. So any ideas or does anyone else deal with a crazy schedule?

Thanks for the help! 
2011-01-23 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3315860

User image

Expert

I think I have basically done everything the cardiologist can do besides cutting me open and physically looking at my heart -lol. 

I think you? ?might ?b?e? ?t?h?e? ?o?n?e? ?w?h?o? need?s to go see a ???D?r?.?/??shrink if you actually enjoy and look forward to ?9? ?h?o?u?r? ?d?r?i?v?e? ?-?h?a?h?a

???Go Bears?
?
?

?

cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-22 9:59 PM
Once I realised I wasn't running today, I moved on to my favorite time of the week - drive day! Went for a 'quick' 9 hour drive up to the mountains and back, stopping off for BBQ on the way and likely consuming a weeks worth of calories Laughing

Tim - I would definitely get your heart issue checked out. I had been convinced I was feeling palpitations in my chest for a while too. I finally got round to seeing my primary care about 10 days ago. She confirmed my heartbeat was irregular and thought I might have a prolapsed valve. Saw the cardio 3 days later, she confirmed my mumur and wants a cardiogram to see the extent of the prolapse. While yours sounds different, when it comes to your heart, you only have one. If in doubt, check it out. It may be absolutely nothing, in which case you can reassure your wife and go about your training. If she is worried and wants you to stop, then her peace of mind alone may be worth a visit?

2011-01-23 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3316291

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
tmoran80 - 2011-01-23 10:36 AM Not sure what exactly your job entails but how about packing a cooler with your lunch and snacks then try setting you watch alarm to go off every 2 hours to remind you to eat.  I totally understand how the time can fly by and before you know it you haven't eaten in 6 hours.  2 years ago I would go all day with no food.  bad habit.  Once you get usd to constantly snacking/eating it will become second nature fo ryou and your body will let you know its hungry.

I work in furniture sales so I have no set lunch break, dinner break or anything. I pack all my food anyway as I don't leave the store. I've tried the alarm thing but if I'm with a customer I can't eat. And depending on what they are looking at I can be with the same customer for an hour or more. Plus I'm management so even if I'm not actively selling if one of my people needs help...no break. 

I'm just frustrated with it because I know if I could get my nutrition under control the weight would come off. But that just seems to be a big if.

Thanks! 
2011-01-23 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3315778

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

razorxp - 2011-01-22 8:59 PM
robburkett - 2011-01-22 8:46 PM Felt really good in the bike workout today.  Rather than focusing on completing distance (today's called for 12.5 miles) I went for time (40 min).  Really pleased with the results.

Right now, I'm using Grusco Inc.'s ISO Fort.  Two scoops gets me 54g of protein and 8g of carbs, which I'm pretty happy with.  I used to buy Nature's Best Isopure, but that's $12 more so I gambled on the ISO Fort.  It was a good call.  The Grusco product is a whey isolate which is allegedly better and of course has the branch chain amino acids.  I have no idea what branch chain amino acids are but it sure does sound nice, doesn't it?

Off to the store to get some mango nectar and then throw down my run before THE GAME!

Did we settle on what the Packers fans oops losers will have to "pay"?  Around the world workout is it?

2011-01-23 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3316297

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
tmoran80 - 2011-01-23 12:40 PM

I think I have basically done everything the cardiologist can do besides cutting me open and physically looking at my heart -lol. 

I think you? ?might ?b?e? ?t?h?e? ?o?n?e? ?w?h?o? need?s to go see a ???D?r?.?/??shrink if you actually enjoy and look forward to ?9? ?h?o?u?r? ?d?r?i?v?e? ?-?h?a?h?a

???Go Bears?
?
?

?

cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-22 9:59 PM

Then whoo hoo - happy training!

LOL I love a long drive, no Dr. needed. The plus side is every now and then I get the chance to photograph one of these bad boys.....

(12660_171210740892_571115892_2876083_118120_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
12660_171210740892_571115892_2876083_118120_n.jpg (95KB - 5 downloads)
2011-01-23 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3316345

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
robburkett - 2011-01-23 1:24 PM

razorxp - 2011-01-22 8:59 PM

Right now, I'm using Grusco Inc.'s ISO Fort.  Two scoops gets me 54g of protein and 8g of carbs, which I'm pretty happy with.  I used to buy Nature's Best Isopure, but that's $12 more so I gambled on the ISO Fort.  It was a good call.  The Grusco product is a whey isolate which is allegedly better and of course has the branch chain amino acids.  I have no idea what branch chain amino acids are but it sure does sound nice, doesn't it?

Off to the store to get some mango nectar and then throw down my run before THE GAME!

Did we settle on what the Packers fans oops losers will have to "pay"?  Around the world workout is it?

Almost half time - I think you might want to start figuring out what your workout is going to be - LOL.

KC
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76