General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-08-24 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4378496

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

melle - 2012-08-24 11:28 AM Any recommendations for bike and nutrition set up for the race?  ie: 1 water bottle, 1 perform/perp bottle, a bunch of gels taped to the top bar etc.  I ask because I have no idea how hard it is to grab water etc from the aid stations.  Thanks for the help.

Not hard to grab water/etc as long as you slow down.  IME, you can usually only grab two things as you ride through.  If you need more, might be best to stop briefly.

2012-08-24 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4378646

User image

New user

St. Louis, MO
wiky - 2012-08-24 11:21 AM

I'll be riding with aero bottle between the bars and one on the down tube.  Grab 1-2 bottles of perform or water at aid stations depending on how much I'm drinking, which will depend on temps.  If 2, one goes on down tube, other tops off aero bottle.  

Carry choc gels in my trisuit pocket, and fill my bento box with pieces of homemade oatmeal waffles and a cliff shot with part of a NoDoz to take towards the end of the ride.  The waffle pieces get eaten early on in the ride to get out of the stomach before the run.

5 Cliff Bars!?

5 bars doesn't sound crazy to me, I plan to eat something solid every hour.

What's all in your homemade oatmeal waffles?  Sound good.

2012-08-24 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4378686

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

cjr222 - 2012-08-24 12:36 PM

5 bars doesn't sound crazy to me, I plan to eat something solid every hour.

What's all in your homemade oatmeal waffles?  Sound good.

Yeah, I'm just kidding around.  We each have our own ways of getting through the long day.

My wife makes the waffles for me, so not sure what's in them.  I use them because they go down easy and aren't as sugary as the rest of the food I'll be eating.  By the end of the day I feel like I'm ODing on sugar!  Taste buds don't like it, but stomach can't seem to handle anything else.

2012-08-24 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3693947

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI

My nutrition plan is not too elaborate.  I plan on being on the bike for a long time so I will make two 4 hour bottles of Hammer Perpeteum.  I will start with one on the down tube and the other will be frozen and in special needs.  I am going to take people up on their advice and, instead of bringing a personal bottle of water/sports drink on the bike, will have a gatorade in one of my saddle cages.  I might bring a third water bottle in between the aero bars.

I'll have a flask full of GU for emergencies, but I've found that I can eat most things with no problems.  Especially because I am riding at a slower pace and exertion level.

2012-08-24 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4378646

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
wiky - 2012-08-24 11:21 AM

I'll be riding with aero bottle between the bars and one on the down tube.  Grab 1-2 bottles of perform or water at aid stations depending on how much I'm drinking, which will depend on temps.  If 2, one goes on down tube, other tops off aero bottle.  

Carry choc gels in my trisuit pocket, and fill my bento box with pieces of homemade oatmeal waffles and a cliff shot with part of a NoDoz to take towards the end of the ride.  The waffle pieces get eaten early on in the ride to get out of the stomach before the run.

5 Cliff Bars!?

One an hour, about 250 calories/bar. 

2012-08-24 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4378722

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

kevin_trapp - 2012-08-24 12:49 PM

Sorry, just thinking out loud about what my stomach would do with that much solid food.  Let's just say, it wouldn't be happy!  Not critiquing your plans, we each need to do what works for us.

2012-08-24 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,
I was planning on stopping at Culver's each trip through Verona for a butter burger and a diet coke.  I guess I'll have to rethink my plan.
2012-08-24 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4378745

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
wiky - 2012-08-24 11:57 AM

kevin_trapp - 2012-08-24 12:49 PM

Sorry, just thinking out loud about what my stomach would do with that much solid food.  Let's just say, it wouldn't be happy!  Not critiquing your plans, we each need to do what works for us.

I wasn't offended, just explaining my plan.  If I tried to get those calories from gu's, I'd be vomiting all over the course.  But solid foods on the bike don't bother me a bit.  To each his own.

2012-08-24 12:13 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

My nutrition plan:

T1: Protein Zone Mango drink in cooler, Banana, and gatorade (figure its worth the extra minute or two)
Aero bottle with water the whole race, 2 cages (1 with gatorade to start, refill with perform and 1 with water for aero refill)
Hour 1: 3 Electrosalt tabs, and Oatmeal Rasin CLIF bar
Hour 2: 3 Electrosalt tabs, and Peanut Butter CLIF bar
Hour 2.5: down a bag of GU Chomps (yummy watermelon)
Hour 3: 3 Electrosalt tabs, and Coconut/Choco CLIF bar
Hour 4: 3 Electrosalt tabs, and a Oatmeal Raisin CLIF bar
Hour 5: 3 Electrosalt tabs, and a Coconut/Choco CLIF bar
Hour 5.5: down a bag of GU Chomps (yummy watermelon)
Hour 6: Pineapple GU Roctane
come off bike ~6:15-6:30 (I hope)  and do perform/GU/Chomps the whole run. (might stop into a McDonalds for some fries if I can find one

logistically I plan to carry 2 CLIF bars, GU Chomps, and the Electrosalts in my bento box and stuff one CLIF bar in my shirt pocket.  Then grab the other 2 CLIF bars, Gel, and more Chomps at special needs.

~2100 calories total on the bike, not counting Gatorade and Perform so I'll probably be around 2500-2800.

2012-08-24 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4378755

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

melle - 2012-08-24 12:01 PM I was planning on stopping at Culver's each trip through Verona for a butter burger and a diet coke.  I guess I'll have to rethink my plan.

What's funny is I literally stop at Burger King on most of my century rides at the halfway point.  I get a whopper, large fries, and a big coke (never drink pop otherwise) and continue rocking from there.

I'm sure it would effect me later on the run so not practical on race day though.  lol

2012-08-24 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4378769

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
tuwood - 2012-08-24 12:13 PM

My nutrition plan:

T1: Protein Zone Mango drink in cooler, Banana, and gatorade (figure its worth the extra minute or two)
Aero bottle with water the whole race, 2 cages (1 with gatorade to start, refill with perform and 1 with water for aero refill)
come off bike ~6:15-6:30 (I hope)  and do perform/GU/Chomps the whole run. (might stop into a McDonalds for some fries if I can find one

logistically I plan to carry 2 CLIF bars, GU Chomps, and the Electrosalts in my bento box and stuff one CLIF bar in my shirt pocket.  Then grab the other 2 CLIF bars, Gel, and more Chomps at special needs.

~2100 calories total on the bike, not counting Gatorade and Perform so I'll probably be around 2500-2800.

Dude, you are missing out if you're not eating the white chocolate macadamia clif bars.  That's a little slice of heaven right there.

2012-08-24 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

I do like all the McDonald's & Culvers talk.  In fact on my couple of training rides of the IM course this summer, both times I could smell the Culver's as I passed by and it definitely triggered my appetite (and my drool reflex).

Anyway, this summer I've been subscribing to the less is more nutrition plan on the bike & it's worked well for me.  I do drink a lot of water and take 1-4 salt tablets an hour based on temps.  I'm going with an aero bottle with water, another bottle on downtube with water & starting with one empty cage.  I will grab a bottle of the Perform at most likely the 2nd aid station on the bike to put in my empty downtube and then I will alternate between water and Perform for hydration for the rest of the ride.

I can get away with about 110-120 calories an hour on the bike and that translates to about 6/10 of a Special K meal replacement bar per hour (I'll only have 2 of those on the bike).  Also in that hour I'll down some delicious jelly beans, pretzels (and my IM Perform) and all of that will get me to my 110-120 calories per hour.  I'll probably have a few gels taped to my bar just in case I feel like something different, but that's about it.  Clean and easy.

Oh, and I'll have a Cherry Pepsi and a PB&J sandwich in the Special Needs area.  I might or might not have those.  I'll also have two more Special K bars to grab after loop one because I should have finished the two that were on my bike.

2012-08-24 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4378786

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kevin_trapp - 2012-08-24 12:23 PM

My nutrition plan:

Dude, you are missing out if you're not eating the white chocolate macadamia clif bars.  That's a little slice of heaven right there.

While I don't eat them on the bike, these are the best; the only flavor I will ever eat.

Kind of jealous of how many of you have Iron Guts. I'm 100% liquid for the whole race. 

2012-08-24 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4378858

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
SSMinnow - 2012-08-24 12:57 PM
kevin_trapp - 2012-08-24 12:23 PM

My nutrition plan:

While I don't eat them on the bike, these are the best; the only flavor I will ever eat.

Kind of jealous of how many of you have Iron Guts. I'm 100% liquid for the whole race. 

OK, I'll have to go buy one of those this weekend and give it a try.    I absolutely love the Coconut Chocolate Chip ones.  They taste like Girl Scout caramel delights.  

As for the iron gut.  What's funny is I have an extremely weak stomach when it comes to liquids.  If I just do GU's and drinks I get really acidy and start ralphing after about 2 or 3 hours.  I HAVE to have solids.

But when it comes to solids I can eat a steak, a cheeseburger, and a slim jim and be just fine.  It's funny how everyone's different, which is all the more reason to practice our nutrition plans ahead of time.  

2012-08-24 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4378755

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

melle - 2012-08-24 1:01 PM I was planning on stopping at Culver's each trip through Verona for a butter burger and a diet coke.  I guess I'll have to rethink my plan.

That's how they used to do it in the early days of IM.  Might get a DQ if you tried it now!

2012-08-24 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4378707

User image

Expert

I am doing a similar plan with the Perpetuem but am thinking of doing 1 of 2 things:

1. Freezing the 3 hour bottle 
  2. Keeping 3 hours of powder in my Bento and mixing at an aid station.   

I am just worried that the frozen bottle will be well thawed by the time I need it (have tried it during my long rides) and that Perpetuem tastes terrible once it starts to go rancid.  I figure the frozen bottle has to last 6 hours which is unlikely.  I think I would rather take the 3 minutes to stop and mix knowing I have a fresh bottle.  I guess it all depends on the weather forecast.

Other than that for the bike I am going with my aero bottle for water, 1.25 scoops of Perpetuem every hour (3 hour bottle & 4 hour bottle), Hammer Raspberry gel (in hammer flask - no packets) every 30 minutes and 1 endurolyte capsule every 30 minutes as well.  I have trained with Lemon-Lime Perform all year so I will most likely take a few handups later in the ride to just change it up a bit.

For the run I plan to mix one 2 hour bottle of Perpetuem in my Nathan Quickdraw and keep following the 30 minutes of Hammer gel and endurolytes.  After two hours I plan to see how the Perpetuem is doing but will most likely live off the course.

rubeone - 2012-08-24 11:44 AM

My nutrition plan is not too elaborate.  I plan on being on the bike for a long time so I will make two 4 hour bottles of Hammer Perpeteum.  I will start with one on the down tube and the other will be frozen and in special needs.  I am going to take people up on their advice and, instead of bringing a personal bottle of water/sports drink on the bike, will have a gatorade in one of my saddle cages.  I might bring a third water bottle in between the aero bars.

I'll have a flask full of GU for emergencies, but I've found that I can eat most things with no problems.  Especially because I am riding at a slower pace and exertion level.

2012-08-24 2:02 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI
Just a thought.  I once mixed up a 3 and 4 hour bottle to use on a ride.  It made sense.  I'm not a moron, but I forgot which was which.  My conclusion was that it might just be easier to mix two 4 hour bottles and then not only is a mix up not a problem, but also you don't even have to think/worry about that again.  "Which one did I put in the special needs bag?"  It's not a big deal at all, but I'll have enough to think about on race day.
2012-08-24 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4378970

User image

Expert

Thats why I like the mixing haha - i am just starting with a 4 hour bottle.Laughing

I thought about the special needs bag but I am just worried that for some reason they can't find my bag or I pass it up and forget it or something-haha.  I would much rather have it on me.  I will put some extra powder in my special needs in case I launch a bottle (which I did while riding the course a few weeks ago).

Are you wrapping your frozen bottle in foil or using any special bottle?

You might want to think about just having some back up powder on you just in case

rubeone - 2012-08-24 2:02 PM Just a thought.  I once mixed up a 3 and 4 hour bottle to use on a ride.  It made sense.  I'm not a moron, but I forgot which was which.  My conclusion was that it might just be easier to mix two 4 hour bottles and then not only is a mix up not a problem, but also you don't even have to think/worry about that again.  "Which one did I put in the special needs bag?"  It's not a big deal at all, but I'll have enough to think about on race day.

Edited by tmoran80 2012-08-24 2:18 PM
2012-08-24 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL

I am carrying one 5 hour bottle of perpetuem (10 to 15 scoops... yes they all fit).  I will have an aerobar bottle which I will start off with water.  I will have two cages behind my seat.  One has the perpetuem and the other will be for bottles I pick up.  I will have also have a gel flask on the ride if I need it.  The perpetuem and Ironman stuff should be enough.  I like the idea of a bit of caffiene coming off the bike... or maybe a lot of it.  I am thinking about carrying a fuel belt for the run with perpetuem powder in it, which I will add water to when I hit a station.    You don't have to premix your perpetuem!!!  unless you are trying to add 15 scoops.  It shrinks considerably.  BTW, I love perpetuem!!  I have been using it for years without issue.  I don't do solids, since fiber blocks calorie absorbtion and makes me want to head to the head.

Funny story about fast food.   I have worked the bike special needs a couple times and you would not believe what people pull out of their bags.  I have seen sub sandwiches, french fries (grease bad), and even McDonald's burgers!!  awesome!

My advice, go with what you train with and what you can stomach, because you won't want to eat it when your running.

2012-08-24 3:33 PM

User image

Expert

My plan, probably sounds complicated, but really it's not.

two bottles, aero bottle for water, downtube bottle concentrated eload (4 scoops - high salt content sports drink).  Special needs I will grab another bottle of eload.

every 10 minutes I take nutrition in generally alternating between sip of water and sip of eload and sip of water and a gu chomp.  At approximately 45 and 135 km I will have a gu (not roctane unless that is all they have).  At special needs I will have a bottle of diet coke (in the aerobottle) and a 100 calorie package of baked cheetos to break up the sweetness (as well as extra bottle of eload).  I will carry one gel and 1 pkg of gu chomps on the bike (bento box), and have another set in special needs.  Not sure how easy it will be to grab this stuff on the bike?  I will only take these out of special needs if I think they will be hard to grab on the bike.  I paid $600 for this thing, might as well try to get my money’s worth right?

I plan to be on the bike somewhere between 6.5 and 7.5 hours.  Should be roughly 200-240 calories an hour.  Maybe a little more.

2012-08-24 4:29 PM

User image

I have a 4 bottle setup on my bike. Aero drink between bars aero bottle on down tube and an xlab wing with two bottles on back.
Plan: infinit ride mix in all four bottles which has been enough to get me through 4hrs of riding plus 4or 5 mini stroop waffles from trader joes and a gel or 2 every hour. In addition to that I will be doing salt tabs 2-3 per hour.
Will also carry 2 cliff bars and 2 in special needs bag.
2 more bottles of infinit in special needs to switch out.
Haven't decided on what kind of good solid food I'm gonna put in my special needs bag but thinking a couple pieces of pizza might just hit the spot. Iron gut all the way here.
Thinking after reading everyone else's plan I may need to up my intake but the inifinit has like 300 calories per serving and am gonma double dose the downtube bottle. Bigger rider at 190 so I need more fuel to keep me going into run

2012-08-24 4:32 PM

User image

On a side note did my last long swim and figured I'd finish it out strong.
So I hopped in the pool and swam 3850m non stop today in 1:04:18
Have swam that far in training just not consecutively until today.
Felt good
Just over 2 weeks to go! Anyone else getting excited?
2012-08-24 4:43 PM

User image

Loves Park

Had a question for some of the vets that have had relative sucess in the course in the past. I have been reading a lot about how really going after the hills on hilly IM courses can seriously mess up your run and this is a big concern for me. I would consider the run as the best of my three and really don't want to resort to walking during the run and not being able to put up a decent run split.

With that said, I have trained a fair amount on the course and have really "gone after" the hills during training and have taken it a bit easier on the flats. To my understanding, during the race one would want to do the opposite. 1. Am i correct on these assumptions. 2. I do not have a power meter, only HRM, so what zone do I want to shoot for  while climbing?

Hopefully I will be able to use HRM, on my second premium garmin strap and it is already going haywire...

2012-08-24 4:51 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Dumb newbie question here.

When you say 3 hour bottle, or 4 hour bottle, what does that mean?

Do you put enough nutrition in the bottle to last for 3 or 4 hours changing the concentration to make it shorter/longer?  Just curious

2012-08-24 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4379283

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI
tuwood - 2012-08-24 5:51 PM

Dumb newbie question here.

When you say 3 hour bottle, or 4 hour bottle, what does that mean?

Do you put enough nutrition in the bottle to last for 3 or 4 hours changing the concentration to make it shorter/longer?  Just curious

Tony,

Yes.  A multi hour bottle will generally have concentrated nutrition.  I haven't tried tons of primary fuel performance drinks, but I can tell you that concentrating some powders works better than others.  I first got the idea from Hammer Nutrition.  They recommend mixing multi-hour bottles right on the bag.  Pacific Labs Accelerade tasted ok, but when I tried to concentrate a bottle, it was not palatable.

tmoran80 - 2012-08-24 3:17 PM

Thats why I like the mixing haha - i am just starting with a 4 hour bottle.Laughing

I thought about the special needs bag but I am just worried that for some reason they can't find my bag or I pass it up and forget it or something-haha.  I would much rather have it on me.  I will put some extra powder in my special needs in case I launch a bottle (which I did while riding the course a few weeks ago).

Are you wrapping your frozen bottle in foil or using any special bottle?

You might want to think about just having some back up powder on you just in case

Tim,

I think I will take your advice and just powder and mix.  I like the idea of some emergency supply in special needs too.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 45