General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2013-05-09 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4734207

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread
cjo03 - 2013-05-08 9:33 PM
tforinash - 2013-05-08 2:22 PM
rach5928 - 2013-05-06 4:20 PM

I don't think this has been posted yet, but these are really helpful course previews of swim, bike, and run.

http://outrivalracing.com/ironman-texas/

Thanks for posting!  Is it really only 2-3 feet deep all around the lake?  Even in the canal?  That's good hip pocket information.

it is pretty shallow around the edges.. on the out and back there are quite a few curves and coves on the water's edge so that shallow water may be further away from a kayak if you're in trouble.. in the canal though the edges are shallow and you could grab the walls pretty easy.. just don't make forward progress while hanging on.

the water is probably a little higher than last year as i think we've had a few more inches of rain this year, but no data on the depth to back that up.

i was out taking photos of the start last year and looking back through them you see a number of folks standing up and walking close to the edge in the first 150-200m.. blurred faces as i am not in the business of embarrassing anyone..

Thanks for the reply.  Really just trying to get the lay of the land.  At Austin 70.3 last October, my goggles leaked the entire swim.  Had to stop every 100 meters or so to let water out.  Not anticipating anything like that happening again but it's good to know all the options.

I have a buddy who did IMTX last year and said the swim start was basically 2,000 people competing for the same space of water.  Embrace the chaos?  

2013-05-09 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4734662

tforinash - 2013-05-09 9:15 AM

I don't think this has been posted yet, but these are really helpful course previews of swim, bike, and run.

Thanks for posting!  Is it really only 2-3 feet deep all around the lake?  Even in the canal?  That's good hip pocket information.

it is pretty shallow around the edges.. on the out and back there are quite a few curves and coves on the water's edge so that shallow water may be further away from a kayak if you're in trouble.. in the canal though the edges are shallow and you could grab the walls pretty easy.. just don't make forward progress while hanging on.

the water is probably a little higher than last year as i think we've had a few more inches of rain this year, but no data on the depth to back that up.

i was out taking photos of the start last year and looking back through them you see a number of folks standing up and walking close to the edge in the first 150-200m.. blurred faces as i am not in the business of embarrassing anyone..

Thanks for the reply.  Really just trying to get the lay of the land.  At Austin 70.3 last October, my goggles leaked the entire swim.  Had to stop every 100 meters or so to let water out.  Not anticipating anything like that happening again but it's good to know all the options.

I have a buddy who did IMTX last year and said the swim start was basically 2,000 people competing for the same space of water.  Embrace the chaos?  

I waited a minute to start after the canon sounded and only got hit like 3 times the entire swim. Now the canal gets crowded and I started walking faster than I could swim. Was walking past people for about 25 meters.

2013-05-09 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4734673

User image

New user

mikiefaith - 2013-05-09 9:20 AM
tforinash - 2013-05-09 9:15 AM

I waited a minute to start after the canon sounded and only got hit like 3 times the entire swim. Now the canal gets crowded and I started walking faster than I could swim. Was walking past people for about 25 meters.

I've had the same thought.  What's 30-60 seconds added to your time when you can save more in energy just trying to avoid people?  The only negative I can think of is the waves or choppy water you are now swimming through left by the mass start.  Or was it not that bad?

2013-05-09 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4733794

Veteran
se7930 - 2013-05-08 5:19 PM
RJohnson1979 - 2013-05-08 3:09 PM

Hi BTexans! I had a couple questions about the swim maybe some of you would know:

- Do you think the lengths of the three sections are about equal: 1. Out, 2. Back, 3. Canal

- Is ther room to swim inside the buoys? It's hard to tell from the course map

- Any sighting advice?

Thanks!

Ryan

My garmin from last year had it .9 miles out, .9 back, and then .6 up the canal

I have lined up to the outside both years, bit in some of the videos I have watching I have seen people swimming just inside the bouy line

There is a pavillion, I believe,  and t a large antenna array that work pretty well for sighting off of.

TJFry had a great write up on the swim, check it out

http://badig.com/2013/04/ironman-texas-swim-course-preview/

Thanks! This is great info. Glad they aren't changing up the IMTX swim start last minute! :-)

2013-05-09 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4733375

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
bradleyd3 - 2013-05-08 12:42 PM
uhcoog - 2013-05-08 11:36 AM

dcatlin - 2013-05-08 9:59 AM Swim shops of the Southwest just put up a 71 degree & climbing on Facebook as the water temp.  I am super excited about that as I was not ready for a wetsuit swim.

Dude a wetsuit is like a pair of floaties.  How could not be ready for a wetsuit swim.

LOL....I'm always prepared for a wetsuit swim. Free Speed!!! On a related side note.....how are the lake levels? What about the canal? I know from reading race reports that the canal is shallow which could pose an issue if they are lower than normal.

The lake hardly ever varies in depth. Heavy rains will cause it to rise a little until the spillway corrects it, but that only takes a few hours. Can't remember ever seeing the lake noticeably low.

2013-05-09 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4734699

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
RJohnson1979 - 2013-05-09 9:29 AM

Hi BTexans! I had a couple questions about the swim maybe some of you would know:

- Do you think the lengths of the three sections are about equal: 1. Out, 2. Back, 3. Canal

- Any sighting advice?

Thanks!

Ryan

I have lined up to the outside both years, bit in some of the videos I have watching I have seen people swimming just inside the bouy line

There is a pavillion, I believe,  and t a large antenna array that work pretty well for sighting off of.

Thanks! This is great info. Glad they aren't changing up the IMTX swim start last minute! :-)

Because of the expected non wetsuit swim, they get to split the field at the start, so it takes some of the edge off the mass start for the non wetsuit people.

2013-05-09 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4734710

tjfry - 2013-05-09 9:31 AM
RJohnson1979 - 2013-05-09 9:29 AM

- Any sighting advice?

Thanks!

Ryan

Because of the expected non wetsuit swim, they get to split the field at the start, so it takes some of the edge off the mass start for the non wetsuit people.

I would say 100-200 people at most did the wetsuit last year from a video I saw. So a SMALL number didnt do the mass start. There wasnt a lot of chop or waves but just people everywhere. You have to find a pocket of straight swimmer and stay in there. Though the markers are big they can be hard to see with some many people. However, there is the occasional horizontal swimmer you have to avoid :-) Only one person constantly "attacked" me and it was a very fast wetsuit guy. After hitting me 5 times on the head he got a nasty elbow to the ribs. Nobody touches you on purpose or wants to be touched. Just expect it and go with it. However, this guy wasnt backing down or moving over so had to make him aware. It happens.

2013-05-09 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4320991

User image

Regular
What a bummer re: getting rid of most of the mass swim starts. That's one of the things that makes the Ironman so intriguing.
2013-05-09 10:19 AM

Plano, TX

If the sun is out that morning, will there be a need for tinted goggles?  Which section will this come mostly into play (assuming one can breathe to whichever side is opposite the sun)?  I assume sighting during the canal portion since it heads east?  Or is this somewhat unecessary since there are walls on both sides so a little hard to get going in the wrong direction...

2013-05-09 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4734830

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
jte463 - 2013-05-09 10:19 AM

If the sun is out that morning, will there be a need for tinted goggles?  Which section will this come mostly into play (assuming one can breathe to whichever side is opposite the sun)?  I assume sighting during the canal portion since it heads east?  Or is this somewhat unecessary since there are walls on both sides so a little hard to get going in the wrong direction...

Check out the Outrival racing link on the last page....there is a swim course video (a guy in a boat).....

Looks like the "back" portion, after the turn around is where you're going directly into the sun.

2013-05-09 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4734813

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, Tx

belilgr - 2013-05-09 10:13 AM What a bummer re: getting rid of most of the mass swim starts. That's one of the things that makes the Ironman so intriguing.

Let's be honest, it's about money. Ironman is a corporation. They make $$$ by providing a service and if they can make more $$$ by making a few changes then that is what they will do - and as a lover of the free market I support them.  If I ever decide not to support them then I will take my $$$ elsewhere...of course I won't ever get a corporation's symbol tattooed on my body.  Could you imagine if Enron was creating and producing long distance triathlons and people got that E tatooed on them.  LOL there would be a lot of pissed off people running around.

2013-05-09 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4734854

Plano, TX
bradleyd3 - 2013-05-09 10:31 AM

Check out the Outrival racing link on the last page....there is a swim course video (a guy in a boat)..... Looks like the "back" portion, after the turn around is where you're going directly into the sun.

Watched that a week or two ago whenever first posted on here...guess I should have taken notes...

2013-05-09 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4734878

User image

Pro
CyFair
JAngell - 2013-05-09 10:40 AM

belilgr - 2013-05-09 10:13 AM What a bummer re: getting rid of most of the mass swim starts. That's one of the things that makes the Ironman so intriguing.

Let's be honest, it's about money. Ironman is a corporation. They make $$$ by providing a service and if they can make more $$$ by making a few changes then that is what they will do - and as a lover of the free market I support them.  If I ever decide not to support them then I will take my $$$ elsewhere...of course I won't ever get a corporation's symbol tattooed on my body.  Could you imagine if Enron was creating and producing long distance triathlons and people got that E tatooed on them.  LOL there would be a lot of pissed off people running around.

As I told some of my friends I don't like it, BUT I'm not the one having to deal with the liability of someone dying on me during a mass start swim.  It's a business decision and they have every right to do it.

2013-05-09 10:47 AM

User image

Regular
I understand the liability aspect of it and I figured that would probably happen eventually, but it stinks to lose that portion of the race.
2013-05-09 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4734884

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, Tx
uhcoog - 2013-05-09 10:43 AM

As I told some of my friends I don't like it, BUT I'm not the one having to deal with the liability of someone dying on me during a mass start swim.  It's a business decision and they have every right to do it.

I totally agree dude.  Maybe the small changes lower their risk slightly and thus their liability insurance.  I'd like to think a lower insurance rate for them equals a slightly smaller entry fee.

2013-05-09 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4734883

jte463 - 2013-05-09 10:43 AM
bradleyd3 - 2013-05-09 10:31 AM

Check out the Outrival racing link on the last page....there is a swim course video (a guy in a boat)..... Looks like the "back" portion, after the turn around is where you're going directly into the sun.

Watched that a week or two ago whenever first posted on here...guess I should have taken notes...

most of the video was filmed on an overcast day but at the end of the video there is a 30 second clip from a sunny day showing the sunrise in 30 seconds from 7am - 9:20am... if there are no clouds when you're headed back after the turnaround and into the canal the sun may make you want some tinted goggles. 

2013-05-09 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4734899

New user
San Francisco

I totally agree dude.  Maybe the small changes lower their risk slightly and thus their liability insurance.  I'd like to think a lower insurance rate for them equals a slightly smaller entry fee.

Wishful thinking?

2013-05-09 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4734899

Plano, TX
JAngell - 2013-05-09 10:48 AM
uhcoog - 2013-05-09 10:43 AM

Why should we expect them to pass on this savings?  As long as we keep signing up for the races and they sell out (in some cases within minutes of registration opening), they should keep raising the prices as a for-profit venture.  As a participant, I wish it didn't work that way, but if I were an investor (in this case a private-equity firm that bought WTC), I would demand changes that increase profitability at least until my customers showed me with their money (by going to a competitor or my races not selling out) that they disagree with the changes.

The cost is definitely one of the reasons (albeit, not the biggest) I expect this to be my one IM....but so far history has shown that someone will take my place next year just I took someone else's place from last year.

Sorry for adding to this thread hijack Smile

2013-05-09 11:10 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

You can tell the taper is settling in.

LOL....

2013-05-09 12:27 PM

TJ: Have you seen a list of speakers/events for the village? Last year they had a number of speakers presenting and pros signing.

Have the trucks rolled into town yet?

2013-05-09 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
CyFair
BTW I just saw Outrival post on FB that the section of road that is freshly torn up and chip sealed it NOT going to be repaved by raceday.  Just FYI.

2013-05-09 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4735151

uhcoog - 2013-05-09 12:28 PM BTW I just saw Outrival post on FB that the section of road that is freshly torn up and chip sealed it NOT going to be repaved by raceday.  Just FYI.

TJ: work your powers! This is terrible. At least get your mind right before head out there. They HAVE TO CLEAN all the loose gravel though.

2013-05-09 1:06 PM

uhcoog - 2013-05-09 12:28 PM BTW I just saw Outrival post on FB that the section of road that is freshly torn up and chip sealed it NOT going to be repaved by raceday.  Just FYI.
2013-05-09 1:06 PM

I cant find this post on their facebook page. Where was it?

2013-05-09 1:24 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, Tx

LOL...hahahaha...dude I freakin' knew it.  It is what it is, and it's going to be a suck fest for about six miles. It starts right after crossing into Montgomery county from Grimes county along FM 1486.  It goes until about a mile or so before 105. 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 43