BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-07-02 4:40 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED

I've been taking it pretty easy the past few days, getting stuff done around the house and just trying to rest. Well, I was, until my husband decided now is the time to re-board the kitchen ceiling (it fell down about 6 months ago). Holding up sheets of plasterboard with my head is not my idea of a nice rest! I feel I've done a whole day of shoulder presses, so at least that's the upper body workout for this week I guess!

How's everyone else's training?

2013-07-02 8:10 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Taringa

I've been taking it pretty easy the past few days, getting stuff done around the house and just trying to rest. Well, I was, until my husband decided now is the time to re-board the kitchen ceiling (it fell down about 6 months ago). Holding up sheets of plasterboard with my head is not my idea of a nice rest! I feel I've done a whole day of shoulder presses, so at least that's the upper body workout for this week I guess!

I would definitely count that as shoulder press!

Last week was a good training week for me. Between scheduled runs and boot camp, I ended up running 6 days and had one rest day. My ankle was really swollen and painful the day after my race last week Sunday but the rest of the week, it was fine.
I am suppose to be doing the Swim Zero to one Mile in 6 weeks program. I missed swimming the last 2 weeks due to scheduling, kids and hubby on travel. My runs days are set as I run with friends. NEVER miss swimming for 2 weeks! I finally got back to my swim class. It was a hard workout because, doing 100s was a huge struggle last night. 2 weeks ago, I was doing 200s easy. By the end of the class, I so exhausted, all I could think of was curling up in my car and sleeping.
I got up for my usual Tuesday morning 6am run with my friends. I felt so tired. I was queasy because I ate a piece of banana. Fruit allergies only allows me to eat certain fruits and never on an empty stomach but I forgot. Courtesy of the meds they gave me when I broke my ankle. It was a really BAD run. I am going to take it easy and try to get a quick nap after work.

I hope everyone else's workouts are going ok.
2013-07-02 8:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

Originally posted by Taringa

I would definitely count that as shoulder press!

Last week was a good training week for me. Between scheduled runs and boot camp, I ended up running 6 days and had one rest day. My ankle was really swollen and painful the day after my race last week Sunday but the rest of the week, it was fine.
I am suppose to be doing the Swim Zero to one Mile in 6 weeks program. I missed swimming the last 2 weeks due to scheduling, kids and hubby on travel. My runs days are set as I run with friends. NEVER miss swimming for 2 weeks! I finally got back to my swim class. It was a hard workout because, doing 100s was a huge struggle last night. 2 weeks ago, I was doing 200s easy. By the end of the class, I so exhausted, all I could think of was curling up in my car and sleeping.
I got up for my usual Tuesday morning 6am run with my friends. I felt so tired. I was queasy because I ate a piece of banana. Fruit allergies only allows me to eat certain fruits and never on an empty stomach but I forgot. Courtesy of the meds they gave me when I broke my ankle. It was a really BAD run. I am going to take it easy and try to get a quick nap after work.

I hope everyone else's workouts are going ok.

I have always thought of what you just discussed as a "Things That Make You Go Hum" thing!

Here's what I mean, Why is it that it takes months to build up fitness in which ever discipline you are training for, but after a couple of inactive weeks you seem to lose almost all the fitness you built up?

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-07-02 8:29 AM
2013-07-02 7:19 PM

User image

Veteran
I feel like a complete loafer. I managed to not swim at all last week. Such a disapointment for me. I'm one of those people who like to do each sport at least once a week, if not more. Kinda upset with myself that I slid on my training program, and the swim is what I need the most. The US Championships are only two months away, can't afford to be skipping these workout.

On a better side, even when I'm sick I can lay down better run times than what I was doing last winter. I thank Henry, my pacer who has helped me a lot in the past month or so getting faster.

Today I went out on a course that last year took a lot out of me. I mean I must of looked terrible huffing and puffing to get up 25 miles worth or steep rolling hills with small areas of flat. Today I knocked it out! Still a bit to slow on the climbs but I will admit I'm doing much better than I was last fall. Maybe I will actually have a chance to place that the nationals. One can only hope.......

Beth
2013-07-02 8:45 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hubbie

I feel like a complete loafer. I managed to not swim at all last week. Such a disapointment for me. I'm one of those people who like to do each sport at least once a week, if not more. Kinda upset with myself that I slid on my training program, and the swim is what I need the most. The US Championships are only two months away, can't afford to be skipping these workout.

On a better side, even when I'm sick I can lay down better run times than what I was doing last winter. I thank Henry, my pacer who has helped me a lot in the past month or so getting faster.

Today I went out on a course that last year took a lot out of me. I mean I must of looked terrible huffing and puffing to get up 25 miles worth or steep rolling hills with small areas of flat. Today I knocked it out! Still a bit to slow on the climbs but I will admit I'm doing much better than I was last fall. Maybe I will actually have a chance to place that the nationals. One can only hope.......

Beth

Great job Beth, and don't beat yourself up becuase you know bad weeks happen. I have noticed that what happened to you today is just the kind of thing that renews me and makes me realize that what I'm doing is working, even if it doesn't show very often.
2013-07-03 5:36 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete
Originally posted by Hubbie I feel like a complete loafer. I managed to not swim at all last week. Such a disapointment for me. I'm one of those people who like to do each sport at least once a week, if not more. Kinda upset with myself that I slid on my training program, and the swim is what I need the most. The US Championships are only two months away, can't afford to be skipping these workout. On a better side, even when I'm sick I can lay down better run times than what I was doing last winter. I thank Henry, my pacer who has helped me a lot in the past month or so getting faster. Today I went out on a course that last year took a lot out of me. I mean I must of looked terrible huffing and puffing to get up 25 miles worth or steep rolling hills with small areas of flat. Today I knocked it out! Still a bit to slow on the climbs but I will admit I'm doing much better than I was last fall. Maybe I will actually have a chance to place that the nationals. One can only hope....... Beth
Great job Beth, and don't beat yourself up becuase you know bad weeks happen. I have noticed that what happened to you today is just the kind of thing that renews me and makes me realize that what I'm doing is working, even if it doesn't show very often.

It's nice to be able to look back at where you were and see the progress. It feels small on a day-to-day basis, but the steps forward really do add up Smile.

2013-07-03 10:52 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-03 5:32 PM
in reply to: afischer01

Extreme Veteran
Ashley, I am going to play fortune teller, and say that your Capacitor went out.
2013-07-04 11:47 AM
in reply to: afischer01

Originally posted by afischer01

Why is it that on the hottest day of the year, the air conditioner is almost guaranteed to stop working?! Happened yesterday, the high was 108!! Hopefully the technician will be able to fix it tonight.....not sure if getting a workout in will be possible in this heat.

Well if it's just as hot inside as outside, you might as well be outside!
Seriously, though, the heat and humidity are tough lately. I was completely spent after a run Tuesday evening (8 p.m., well after the heat of the day). And today, I came back from my run drenched.
Remember, it's OK if you slow down in the heat (you can find conversion charts on the web). And be sure to get enough to drink.
2013-07-04 7:53 PM
in reply to: RZ0

Extreme Veteran
Sure is slowing down in here. I guess it being 4th of July week and summer time a lot of folks are on vacation and busy with the family. I have to say though that I'm starting to believe that we lost Mike and he is somewhere with Kara. Come on back Mike, don't follow the light.
2013-07-04 9:11 PM

New user
Well lets get the party re-started, shall we?! I hope everyone is off enjoying the long holiday weekend! The weather here finally allowed me to get outside for a run/walk. Oof. It was tough, but it was my short run so only 19 minutes. Splashed around in the pool ths afternoon with the family. Still swimming like a rock.

2013-07-05 5:24 AM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

Gold Coast, Australia

Weather starting to warm a little here (thank goodness,  we're all getting sick of being cold) and the sun has come out again. I'm gearing up for the half marathon Sunday morning, a mix of terrified and excited, and of course paranoid that I'll do something really silly like leave my race number at home, forget to put my running shoes on and turn up in slippers, or just sleep through my 3.30am alarm. I seem to be a lot more nervous about this run than anything else I've done.

Dawn, it's good to hear the training is going well, apart from the rock-swimming analogy. Pumice stone perhaps? There's a rock that floats. It may not be elegant or fast, but it travels a long way!

2013-07-05 6:21 AM

New user
You will be fine for Sunday! Good luck!!! LOL! Yes, I'm aiming for pumice stone
2013-07-05 10:23 AM

Well I haven't been able to train like i hoped to while on vacation but it has been inspiring and motivating to talk and pick the brains of my sister in law and her boyfriend. Their house is filled with books, magazines,photos and medals to get me motivated. Here are a couple pics that may get you motivated too:

2013-07-05 10:24 AM

Sorry double post. We head home tomorrow... I need this motivation to last, my race is in 3 weeks!

Edited by corbetjackson50 2013-07-05 10:28 AM
2013-07-05 9:12 PM

Sure is slowing down in here. I guess it being 4th of July week and summer time a lot of folks are on vacation and busy with the family. I have to say though that I'm starting to believe that we lost Mike and he is somewhere with Kara. Come on back Mike, don't follow the light.

My training schedule is going haywire this week. I'm in a couple of heavy weeks for a sprint tri at the end of the month, but realized along about Tuesday that:
- I won't be able to train Sunday because we're taking both of our kids to different camps - 100 miles apart.
- I wouldn't be able to swim Thursday (as I had planned) because the pool at the Y is closed.
- We were taking the kids to the beach Friday (today), so I couldn't ride that day.
So I moved a bunch of stuff around. Today I had to double up running - a 50 minute run in the morning and a 45 minute run in the afternoon. I could do this only because I ran on the beach. No stress on the knees. Also, I ran really slow, only enough to get RPE up to 3-4 or so on a scale of ten.
It worked pretty well. The breeze along the ocean kept me from getting too hot. The sand kept my knees from aching and my calves from tightening. If the hard sand bothered my feet, I just moved to the deep sand.
I would recommend a slow run in the sand for anyone, though I would recommend using more sunscreen on your feet than I did. OUCH!

2013-07-06 4:52 AM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

Gold Coast, Australia
Corbet, that's an impressive display of finisher's medals. It must have been inspiring to sit and soak up the atmosphere in that house!
2013-07-06 6:42 PM

Veteran
Hello everyone! Sorry I've been away from the group, away but not forgotten hopfully. I have been training though as my logs show. I have only 8 days till my tri. I'm starting to be very thankfull that I did not push my body to go on the tri last weekend. I still hold that skipping it was the right thing to do as my body now feels rested, recovered and full and energy.

I finally got in the pool yeserday and it was a major disappoitment but I knew it was comming. After almost three weeks out of the water I lost a good portion of my water fitness and my times showed that. But no time like the present to jump back in.

I met up with my pacer today and we did some speed work. My times where very impressive, even for me! Was pulling mid 7's for three miles but at the end I was so spent that I actually dropped on the bench. Took another 10 minutes or so just to have the energy to walk a few hundred feet back to my car. I hope to add these workouts to my schedule about once a week. While they are tough and take the life out of me I'm confidant that I'll see improvements come Sept for my big race.

For the 4th of July my Son and I watch that annual parade that comes right along our house. Its always nice to have such nice seats, and no need to use the porta-potties either! We spend several hours at the local water park and finally ended out day playing with a buch of kids then watching the annual fire works show put on by the city.

Hope everyone had a great 4th. Now to get back to the training!!!

Beth
2013-07-06 7:04 PM
in reply to: RZ0

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RZ0

My training schedule is going haywire this week. I'm in a couple of heavy weeks for a sprint tri at the end of the month, but realized along about Tuesday that:
- I won't be able to train Sunday because we're taking both of our kids to different camps - 100 miles apart.
- I wouldn't be able to swim Thursday (as I had planned) because the pool at the Y is closed.
- We were taking the kids to the beach Friday (today), so I couldn't ride that day.
So I moved a bunch of stuff around. Today I had to double up running - a 50 minute run in the morning and a 45 minute run in the afternoon. I could do this only because I ran on the beach. No stress on the knees. Also, I ran really slow, only enough to get RPE up to 3-4 or so on a scale of ten.
It worked pretty well. The breeze along the ocean kept me from getting too hot. The sand kept my knees from aching and my calves from tightening. If the hard sand bothered my feet, I just moved to the deep sand.
I would recommend a slow run in the sand for anyone, though I would recommend using more sunscreen on your feet than I did. OUCH!

Life is always going to get in the way for all of us but I have learned that family events are not going to let me get upset with myself for not being able to train. I bascially do what you did, which is fit in what I can and basically forget the rest. It's amazing just how hard it is to develope a routine, and how easy it is to have it broken up.
2013-07-06 7:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Corbet, that is an impressive rack of medals and it's good that you are finding inspriation. Now you have to push yourself and see how others will be inspired by you and your accomplishments. Three weeks away from your Tri, train hard but train smart.
2013-07-06 7:07 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

Extreme Veteran
Beth, great job and I look forward to hearing about your race next weekend. Stay health and don't get bit by any bugs.

2013-07-06 7:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
Anne, it's here and I wanted to wish you the best of luck. I look forward to you posting a picture of that finishers medal after you FINISH your first Half. Remember not to go out to hard, keep and even pace, if you have to take a walk break do so, but most important of all is to have a great time and truly take in the day. Visit with people, smile, allow yourself to embrace the atmosphere of the race and spectators. Remember your time is nothing more than numbers on a clock, but the accomplishment is yours and is impressive. Again, good luck and have a great time.
2013-07-07 2:25 AM

Gold Coast, Australia

Well, I made it! And running a half marathon has really given me an appreciation of the effort in a full marathon and also ironmans. Todd, I take my hat off to you, aiming to run that distance after already completing the swim and bike legs!

I really enjoyed the race (well, to be honest, the first 40 minutes and the last 15 seconds. The rest was pretty tough). Around 11,000 people lined up, and the sea of bobbing heads stretched out in front of me as we started was a sight to behold. I pretty well stuck to the race plan, went out steady and stayed steady, walked occaisonally through the water stations but the rest was my usual slow jog.

At the half way mark I started to push it out just a little, still felt OK. At 16km I thought right, just 5k to go, and pushed the pace a bit further to get my HR up to zone 4. I passed a lot of the people who had passed me earlier in the race but that 5km just kept getting harder and hurting more. I swear each kilometer was longer than the one before it, and the last one was a killer. My legs were burning, my feet hurt with each step. The crowds in that last km were amazing though, shouting encouragement, cheering and clapping. I think they really pull it out for us last finishers!

Once I rounded the last corner and could see the finish I managed to find some speed and sprinted for the line, I think I passed 20 or 30 people in that last 100 metres. I was really happy with my time, 2:40:37, and Todd you were right, I really surprised myself.

I've been flopping around at home for the rest of the day, drinking Gatorade and eating everything I can find in the cupboard. Looking forward to a nice glass of wine and an early night.

Attatched is a photo from after the race-I'm the exhausted looking one on the right.

Edited by Taringa 2013-07-07 2:28 AM

(IMG_20130707_151527 (Medium).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20130707_151527 (Medium).jpg (60KB - 19 downloads)
2013-07-07 8:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-07 12:05 PM

, Alabama
Well done!! Sounds like you had a great time, apart from the bits that hurt of course! It's a bit like childbirth though as soon as it is over you forget the pain and start planning the next one haha!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45