Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-08-08 10:02 AM
in reply to: #914116

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - FULL

phoenixrising404 - 2007-08-05 8:43 PM David, just think of it as ENDURANCE training!! First the endurance of family and trying to make everyone happy (forget it--not possible) and then the endurance of waiting, perhaps uncomfortably. Did you ever see that movie with Tom Hanks in the airport??? Now that dude has some serious Zen training! How he could stay so calm for months in there......................

I have seen "The Terminal" with Tom Hanks and that is exactly what is was like. I felt like him all day. A janitor in the bathroom even started complaining to me about how rude it was when people on the floor!

So.....naturally, my legs did great. My aerobic system did great. My lungs did great. My arms, shoulders and neck.....sucked big time. Major major pain and numbness and discomfort.

I'm really glad and encouraged by the fact that your legs and aerobic system did great. This means that you're fit! The arm and neck pain will go away with more time in the aerobars. And you should probably always expect some level of discomfort after 75 MILES! If it were easy and felt great, everyone would be doing it right!

My neck bothers me sometimes too, and I've found that looking side to side and up and down as often as I can really helps. Try not to just get in a rut and always stare straight ahead with your head/neck in the same position. That's asking for trouble.

Pene, you should be proud of this ride. It was a major jump in outdoor miles for you and your aerobic system handled it well. This points to major progress for you! Good job!

Oh well. I'm safe and still like my bike. My butt isn't even sore.

That is a really good sign that you "still like your bike". I've had many long rides where I hate my bike and feel like throwing it into the lake! So, you did great!

2007-08-08 10:09 AM
in reply to: #915162

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kevdia - 2007-08-06 2:13 PM Hey all, sorry for the absence. Work/family commitments have been nuts. I am lucky to get a workout in these days. Anyway, it was good to read the last few pages and catch up with everyone's stories. I am making some of that gillenade for my long ride tomorrow. I have also started open water swimming and boy is it different from the pool. My question to anyone willing to reply is what brand wetsuits do you recommend? any replies will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Good to hear from you again, Kevin.  If you're serious about using Gillenade, then I can share with you a spreadsheet I've made that will help you with the formulas and measurements of the various powders.

The best wetsuit advice I can give you is to somehow find a way to try a swim or 2 with it before you buy it.  Ken is right I have an Xterra Vortex and actually the arms and shoulders are pretty tight on mine and do restrict my movement somewhat.  I get used to it if I swim in more often, but it so warm down here that I haven't used it since Alcatraz on June 3rd!   If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get a sleeveless, but I did want a full for the cold Alcatraz waters.  Oh well.

If you're going to Timberman, we should definitely hook up.  That's be great! 

2007-08-08 10:14 AM
in reply to: #917525

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

JBrashear - 2007-08-08 12:20 AM
kevdia - 2007-08-07 6:51 PM thanks for the replies, I have yet to try one on, but do the long sleeves hinder your swimming motion or fatigue your arms?
Shorten your stroke up a bit, it will help a lot. Also, make sure you're pulling the sleeves as far up your arms as they'll go. Even a couple inches will make a difference with shoulder fatigue, etc.

Hey, that's a great tip.  Thanks Johnny.  I might not have been pulling my sleeves up my arms all the way.  I'll have to try that for Timberman!

Nice Seattle Pics, BTW.  In case you haven't heard, it finally got hot here with heat indexes around 105!  Plus, the wind is back too!  So enjoy the cool weather while you can.  I'm jealous! 

2007-08-08 10:24 AM
in reply to: #917734

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Miler - 2007-08-08 8:44 AM I have not even come close to touching the course yet, and as a matter of fact, I'll never get the chance until race day. The training is going okay, yet I know I should be doing more. I have a huge time issue, seeing as I used to commit to all my planned training, but work is just too much and in the last 2 weeks I've found myself skipping out on training. Next week I get to start cracking down as my job ends. I have my big A sprint race this weekend in Naperville, Illinois. Yet, I'm not nearly prepared for it. This year is going to be dedicated to survival and Ironman, as next year, I'm forgoing summer work, attempting to get sponsored, and going for it all. I don't know where verona hs is, but hopefully I'll be there by 4:30. I would most likely appreciate some company. I've decided I may take a 5-10 minute power break on the bike. That may or may not occur of course, but I like the idea as even when I stop for the restroom I feel regenerated getting back on the bike. It will also give me a chance to eat some really solid nutrition and keep that stuff on track. XC retreat was fun this weekend. I got to see the cute little blond girl I hang aroudn with. Unluckily it rained the last morning we were there so we all woke up soked in tents. We stayed at the Warren Dunes in MI, and it was a blast. Running on the sand was a little exhaustive, but later in the day much more fun running down 100 ft. dunes and playing in Lake MI. At introductions I got a "Aww" as I said my most exciting moment of the summer was meeting the Hoyts and competing nwith my father the very same weekend. I recommend the Dunes for excellent camping and family fun! This week is super low volume and really quick turnover, I need to prepare myself for a lot of pain this weekend. I don't care if I'm a little undertrained, I'd rather throw up and be sent to the medics than come in over 1:08:00

Sound like you're having fun overall and that's what is important, Matt.  Be sure to get in a good taper and don't blow yourself up complete these last few big weeks.  You're probably heard that it's better to be 10% under-trained than 1% over-trained on race day.  A good taper, a little carbo-loading, and race day adrenaline can easily make up for 10% under-training, but if you go into race day worn down with tired legs, you could be in real trouble in a full IM.

I think you'll do great.  You've got the spirit and mental energy that is so important in long course.  

BTW, because of your speed and youth, I think you have good chance at landing some decent sponsorships next year.  Go for it! 

2007-08-08 11:05 AM
in reply to: #917907

User image

Pro
Texas
dgillen - 2007-08-08 10:14 AM

JBrashear - 2007-08-08 12:20 AM
kevdia - 2007-08-07 6:51 PM thanks for the replies, I have yet to try one on, but do the long sleeves hinder your swimming motion or fatigue your arms?
Shorten your stroke up a bit, it will help a lot. Also, make sure you're pulling the sleeves as far up your arms as they'll go. Even a couple inches will make a difference with shoulder fatigue, etc.

Hey, that's a great tip. Thanks Johnny. I might not have been pulling my sleeves up my arms all the way. I'll have to try that for Timberman!

Nice Seattle Pics, BTW. In case you haven't heard, it finally got hot here with heat indexes around 105! Plus, the wind is back too! So enjoy the cool weather while you can. I'm jealous!

I had to run in long sleeves on Monday so I wouldn't get cold. It's so hard running in 65 degree weather. :p
2007-08-08 1:25 PM
in reply to: #801094

Veteran

OK Team, I need some honest feedback/advice.  Here is the background info:

I am registered for the Cologne Classic 70.3 on the 2nd of Septemeber; however it's not an official "Ironman" series race.  The swim is 2.5 km but the rest of the distances are the standard length.  After watching the Ironman Championship from 2006, I really want to do an Ironman sponsored event and as luck would have it, it may be an option.  Ironman 70.3 Germany is taking place on the 19th of August and may still have a few slots left open (alreay sent an email to check).  So the question is:

Is it possible to do 2 70.3 events within 2 weeks of each other?  I know it's crazy and not the "best" idea but who here is completely sane?

Edited by Timo 2007-08-08 1:26 PM

2007-08-08 1:36 PM

User image

New user
You should definitely do it! Why not? You only live once. Plus, if it kills you, all of us will know never to do it! And isn't that what this group is about, learning from each others experiences.
2007-08-08 1:38 PM
in reply to: #918385

Veteran

Miler - 2007-08-09 8:36 AM You should definitely do it! Why not? You only live once. Plus, if it kills you, all of us will know never to do it! And isn't that what this group is about, learning from each others experiences.

That is what I'm looking for here!  I guess if I die I'll have to have my wife spread the word; although, you could just look me up in the race results and see "RIP" instead of "DNF".

2007-08-08 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Okay, I'm no expert, but so far, Timo, you have done a 74 mile ride (across several countries--you suck!!!!) and you ran 75 miles last month, so I would say you are set for a FULL IM! Even your swims are amazing. Go do it! How often does someone have a chance to do these things abroad?? It will be another story for your grandkids
2007-08-08 3:56 PM
in reply to: #918365

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Timo - 2007-08-08 1:25 PM

OK Team, I need some honest feedback/advice. Here is the background info:

I am registered for the Cologne Classic 70.3 on the 2nd of Septemeber; however it's not an official "Ironman" series race. The swim is 2.5 km but the rest of the distances are the standard length. After watching the Ironman Championship from 2006, I really want to do an Ironman sponsored event and as luck would have it, it may be an option. Ironman 70.3 Germany is taking place on the 19th of August and may still have a few slots left open (alreay sent an email to check). So the question is:

Is it possible to do 2 70.3 events within 2 weeks of each other? I know it's crazy and not the "best" idea but who here is completely sane?

Actually, it might not be as crazy as you think.   Many people try to fit in a couple of A races within their 2-3 week peak period.   It is tough to maintain your peak fitness for more than 3-4 weeks, but I bet you could do both of your 70.3 races just fine assuming you can recovery fully from the first.   

Like the others, I say go for it!  

2007-08-08 4:00 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
I would think that 2 70.3's is protentially a problem.  I sure people do them but they are "super athletes".   Unless you plan on taking the first one extremely easy (which I know I would have a hard time doing since the is an official "ironman" event) and use it as a practice race for the cologne race.  I would definately say to be careful.

2007-08-09 10:06 AM

Veteran
Thanks for all of your advice, I really appreciate it.  I still haven't heard back from the Ironman folks so I sent an e-mail to the race director to check for open slots, a long shot but who knows.  My wife's not a 100% on board with the idea (more like not at all) and so it will be difficult securing the "go ahead" on this one, sometime I envy single people!
2007-08-09 1:49 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
I hate to say it but I might have to agree with your wife (sorry).  2 70.3's in 2 weeks will be extremely taxing on the body.  But what ever you do good luck.
2007-08-09 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
I finally got my RHR below 50 bpm (hooray!!).  I check it the other day on the pharmacy blood pressure machine twice and it was 44 and 47.  Then when I was at the dentist they also check it with a little machine and it was 46 (right before my Root Canal) so I figure that puts me at around 45.  Previously the lowest I had ever registered was 51.  Looks like all this hard work is paying off.
2007-08-09 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Timo--singlehood isn't all it's cracked up to be. Believe me. But at least this fellow I met a few weeks ago is still calling after 2 dates. That's the most dating progress I've had since before Christmas--and that boyfriend lived 6 hours away so it wasn't real easy at all! Be grateful for the love you have and hold onto it with all your might!! It is more important than IM's (but you won't get me to give up my dream for some dude--he'll just have to support me or hit the road!!)

Kproudfoot--excellent progress with your RHR!! I haven't checked mine. I always get woken up at the crack of dawn by my 4 year old and stumble downstairs for coffee before I realize I could have checked it. That might change now, though, because......

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, I finally got a forerunner, happy birthday to me!! Actually, it's not til the 21st, but I was in LaCrosse and got a wild hair.... It's a 305, but the bikefitter dude knows me pretty well by now and gave me $53 off !! Yeah!! (will be pestering you folks now to figure out how in the heck to make it work now)

I looked up the MOO course and the highest elevation is 1244. I asked the bike dude what our hills around here are and he said, no sweat. Our hills are WAY more difficult than the MOO course. I wanted the forerunner so I can really praise myself on these local hills and master the suckers!! And so I can go run on pavement in prep for my marathon!

Today I ran a little 5K for the first time in about 6 weeks or so since my hamstring tear. I did okay, I just have this upper respiratory infection from hell from the last22 miles of the MS ride in the rain. I don't do well in the rain... I think I just may be able to pull that mary off now! (crossing fingers and praying to the hamstring saints....)
2007-08-10 1:22 AM
in reply to: #920343

Veteran

phoenixrising404 - 2007-08-10 12:02 PM Timo--singlehood isn't all it's cracked up to be. Believe me. But at least this fellow I met a few weeks ago is still calling after 2 dates. That's the most dating progress I've had since before Christmas--and that boyfriend lived 6 hours away so it wasn't real easy at all! Be grateful for the love you have and hold onto it with all your might!! It is more important than IM's (but you won't get me to give up my dream for some dude--he'll just have to support me or hit the road!!)

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my wife or being married for the world, I just meant that it was a hell of a lot easier to take off last minute and spend $500 on a weekend when I was single.  Now I have to think about the baby due next month, my kids college fund, and grown-up bills and responsibilities.  I guess sometimes I just want to be 18 again, of course I don't think I had $500 when I was 18 and so it would be a bust anyway!  I still haven't heard back from the Ironman folks and so I guess my Superman dreams are over.

2007-08-10 4:37 PM

Connecticut
Dave,
Any info on gillenade would be great. The cost of daily, weekly supplements/powerades/bars/gels/etc is almost equivelant to what I paid for my bike. lol.
Kevin
2007-08-11 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Okay, I have nothing important or awe inspiring to say, so you can all just skip this post....but I find writing therapeutic and I have no friends left because I freak them out with my obsessive tri crap (okay I do have a friend or two and they would bury a dead body for me no questions asked but shut up, this is my session....)

My newest guy obsession didn't call for two whole days (even though I got an email yesterday but still.......) so now I think he's bored and gonna dump me. And do I play the queen and NOT call him? Or do I write him six emails daily until he does dump me??? Or do I dump him first? This is why I hate dating. You make it past date 2 and then you have to figure out if this is a relationship or just a friend thing or WHAT.....

And I'm having a FAT day. It's close to my period. (couldn't guess that, could you?) But still....I'm sworn off food now forever. Or at least until I no longer jiggle when I run. (ick, ick, ick, ick, ick!!!!)

I tried to run. It took 42 whole minutes and two different inhalers until I finally coughed up that hairball and could almost breathe. This upper respiratory infection can just cut it the F out!!!!! I think I've lost all the run conditioning I sort of had with the 6 weeks off. It feels like I'm starting all over again. Crap. Crap crap crap.

But....my kids are leaving me alone. Sort of. We did swim lessons 2 nights now and poor Noah is hopeless, but I still tell him he's doing great. He has his first tri next Saturday and I ordered him a wetsuit because the poor skinny thing really needs it. But God bless him. He says his goal is to do a full adult sized tri when he's 11 (in 2 years).

Matt--when did you do your first real tri??? Did you do kids' tri's first? Were you always a great swimmer or do some of these kids sort of dog-paddle their first tri?? Have any old wetsuits you wanna sell me???? He'll outgrow in length this suit in less than a year, but the others can wear it then. Noah weighs 55 pounds and is 4'7". According to the wetsuit charts, he wears a size 8, and should weigh about 80 pounds. Yeah, maybe when he's 20....

Wow. Thanks. I'm plumb out of stuff to rant about. Except money. We just won't go there. Anyone have a rich uncle who wants to adopt me and is on his death bed???

Hopefully none of you are on your male periods Good luck at Timberman!!!!!!
2007-08-11 4:05 PM
in reply to: #922105

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-08-11 9:32 AM Okay, I have nothing important or awe inspiring to say, so you can all just skip this post....but I find writing therapeutic and I have no friends left because I freak them out with my obsessive tri crap (okay I do have a friend or two and they would bury a dead body for me no questions asked but shut up, this is my session....)

FWIW, I do read all of your posts. I might not comment on them, but I read'em. We're your friends here, and we get you b/c we're tri geeks too! At least I am!

My newest guy obsession didn't call for two whole days (even though I got an email yesterday but still.......) so now I think he's bored and gonna dump me. And do I play the queen and NOT call him? Or do I write him six emails daily until he does dump me??? Or do I dump him first? This is why I hate dating. You make it past date 2 and then you have to figure out if this is a relationship or just a friend thing or WHAT.....

2 days without a call doesn't sound all that long to me. Were y'all talking everyday? Don't make too much of it just yet. I'm definitely not a dating expert, but I would be afraid to drop him an email or call him.

And I'm having a FAT day. It's close to my period. (couldn't guess that, could you?) But still....I'm sworn off food now forever. Or at least until I no longer jiggle when I run. (ick, ick, ick, ick, ick!!!!)

You're not fat, Pene, and remember food is energy, and we, as triathletes, need a lot of it.

I tried to run. It took 42 whole minutes and two different inhalers until I finally coughed up that hairball and could almost breathe. This upper respiratory infection can just cut it the F out!!!!! I think I've lost all the run conditioning I sort of had with the 6 weeks off. It feels like I'm starting all over again. Crap. Crap crap crap.

I feel for you and your running struggles. First the hamstring and now a cold! Man, I'm sorry. You can't catch a break. I'm not sure what to say other than hang in there. "This, too, shall pass"

But....my kids are leaving me alone. Sort of. We did swim lessons 2 nights now and poor Noah is hopeless, but I still tell him he's doing great. He has his first tri next Saturday and I ordered him a wetsuit because the poor skinny thing really needs it. But God bless him. He says his goal is to do a full adult sized tri when he's 11 (in 2 years). Matt--when did you do your first real tri??? Did you do kids' tri's first? Were you always a great swimmer or do some of these kids sort of dog-paddle their first tri?? Have any old wetsuits you wanna sell me???? He'll outgrow in length this suit in less than a year, but the others can wear it then. Noah weighs 55 pounds and is 4'7". According to the wetsuit charts, he wears a size 8, and should weigh about 80 pounds. Yeah, maybe when he's 20.... Wow. Thanks. I'm plumb out of stuff to rant about. Except money. We just won't go there. Anyone have a rich uncle who wants to adopt me and is on his death bed??? Hopefully none of you are on your male periods Good luck at Timberman!!!!!!

It's so awesome that you're getting Noah into triathlon. Don't worry about his swimming. Just enjoy this time with him and that he is into your passion!

2007-08-11 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Since I'm still not logging (Sorry!), I thought I'd rant tell you about my workout today. In short, it sucked. Normally, I am quite pumped and mentally ready to get in my toughest workout of the week early on Saturday mornings. Despite normally getting up around 6am, I have no problem waking up at 4am so I can have time to digest my breakfast, get all my gear ready, make my Gillenade, etc etc.

I woke up fine this morning, but I just wasn't into it, and after breakfast and the daily dog walk I fell back asleep on the couch for a good 30 minutes. I couldn't believe it! Normally, I am rearing to go, but not today! I pissed around some more, then Sarah woke up and I talked to her for a while. So instead of getting started around 6:30 or 7am like I had hoped. I didn't get out of the house until 8:15!

I swam for about 25 minutes at our local pool, jogged back home, and hopped on my bike for a brisk 1:45 ride with the last 10 minutes in zone 4 in order to simulate race fatigue. The I tried to run, more like stumble, for about 25 minutes. The bike was tough, and I couldn't really get "into it". I had a tough time pushing myself into upper zone 2 and 3. The 10 min in z4 was really tough and really took it out of me for the run. It was my worst brick of the year. It was really humid and hot this AM, but still. I'm a week away from an A race. I really hoped I'd feel better.

Rant over!

Edited by dgillen 2007-08-11 4:22 PM
2007-08-11 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks Dave! Not that it helps, but just about every day is an off day for me. I almost never feel really pumped to go work out. I just drag myself through it and then feel awesome after.

I like your strategy for early Saturday workouts, though. Makes you feel like you've really accomplished something! I ran, then did my garbage run (and believe me it was gross and way overdue) then went and picked up a quarter beef that I am bartering with a patient for (now my freezer is really full) , went grocery shopping and then did dishes, laundry and an indoor bike. Now we are off to the lake with my kids and 2 friends. I realized today that I feel less tired after doing this stuff. I used to have to nap alot on weekends and after working out I sure didn't have any energy for housework or extra friends on a sleepover. Some days I think IM dom is possible and some days I really question that. Guess I've got til Sept 10 to decide. You want me to pick up a IMMoo 2008 voucher for you, Dave? I think they let you get an extra for a friend

You'll do great on your A race. Or at least I'll think so! Sort of have all you super dudes up on a pedastal!

2007-08-11 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
You know how when you publicly say you'll do something, then you are bound to actually do it? Okay, here it goes......I'm gonna write that book I've always wanted to write but didn't know what in the world to write it about. There. I said it. Now you guys have to rib me about it every now and then to see how it's going. If it sells, I'll maybe be sort of out of debt. Or at least that's the plan. Okay, who wants to pre-order their copy? I'll even throw in an autograph for free

P.S. Steve called. I missed it because I was in the lake with the kids. But still. He called. Whew!! I'm SUCH a worry wort.......(btw is "wort" a word? or is it wart? or whortt? Any English majors here?)

P.P. S. I did eat today, including such treats as a piece of banana bread and a chicken sandwich with bacon. Guess that blows the heck out of the no food for the rest of the summer idea.....but I enjoyed every bite! Do you think if you enjoy the food thoroughly it won't turn to fat???? Or maybe if you bless it first? I think I'll try it and let you all know if it works
2007-08-12 7:31 PM

User image

New user
-Insert "I get 4th place, way too often rant" here-
2007-08-12 7:38 PM
in reply to: #922105

User image

New user
Okay to answer questions asked...

My first triathlon was last year: July 8th, 2007 Dewitt Crossroads Triathlon.

I've always been a terrible swimmer, I use TI. Somehow I still seem to come out of the water in the upper 15%. I blame it on adrenaline.

If I was a very young kid, in my first triathlon I would swim the elementary backstroke.

I received my first wetsuit for my 21st birthday, it was not nearly as cool as a chopper.

The aforementioned wetsuit is not for sale, as it will be preventing me from dying on September 9th.

Chicks dig guys who look like flag poles, 55 lbs makes me jealous.
2007-08-13 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Wow Matt, I had NO idea you just started this stuff a year ago!! How cool that you are a natural!!! I figured you were old hat at sprints! This actually gives me more hope that an old old lady like myself might be able to pull of an IM in 13 months after all. My first tri was in March, but it barely counts because it was indoors.....

I'll try to teach Noah the elementary backstroke. That's exactly how I did my first indoor tri because I had only had like 3 lessons on the crawl and I couldn't get it. He actually likes to swim underwater for some odd reason. But that's not very aerobic!!

Okay guys, the spirits gave me full permission to do this ironman schtuff! I got a reading at the Spiritualist camp (my religion for the moment--believe me I've tried every path known and find this one just weird enough to suit me--or at least for the time being). The lady nailed it that I am a healer and then said "you've got this heavy thing coming up in about a year". I told her it was the ironman and she praised me. She said I am way ahead of all the other caring/helping/healing people she sees because I'm finally doing something for myself and that it will make me a better caring/helping/healing person because I'll have some energy left to give if I've fed myself first. Bingo! She gets it! And she said I have a joy guide who looks like a swimmer or a runner and that guide very much wants to help me with this! I'm supposed to call on her to help me when I'm running and think I can't keep going. (no prob--that's about at mile 3). And she also said my daughter will benefit from my example. She nailed that too. Micah told me this weekend that a little boy told her she was fat! Well, Micah is a flagpole too and she's almost 7 and didn't want to eat supper because of that comment! The wrath of Pene came out and I threatened to beat him into a bloody pulp and cut off certain male parts because I will NOT have an anorexic daughter! I went through that in college and it was terrible! She begged me not to do anything to him but I told her she must not put up with any crap from a guy ever! And I told her guys like that end up being wife beaters. Okay it was a bit extreme, but this little kid's father got 2 girls pregnant the same year in high school and married the one named Chastity. Yeppers. A good kid to stay away from!!!! At least Micah has a tough boxing ironchick momma that the boys have to get past to get to her!!

May the tri spirits be with you all
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36