BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-09-07 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
I went for my long run today. Basically did a little over 10 miles. Went back to check my records. When I ran Broad Street (same distance) in May, I had a pace only 10 sec/mile faster, but my HR was higher by 25 bpm!. Granted, race day was warmer than today, but it was all downhill. Today I did a bunch of small hills. I consider this progress, being that I didn't feel too beat up today despite the long bike ride yesterday. I won't deny my legs were stiff, but they held on. 

2010-09-08 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3086175

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
cspreiter - 2010-09-07 6:51 PM

Well I had a rough first olympic tri.  Here are my results: Overall 3:04:59, Swim 31:15, Bike 1:18:46, Run 1:09:39.

I was shooting to be below 3 hours and I think I would have made it if I hadn't had the problems I had.  The swim went well.  I was a little faster than I expected and felt really good coming out of the water.  It was all downhill from there.  As soon as I got started with my ride, my stomach started cramping.  I don't know what was causing it but it was making me feel sick to my stomach.  I knew I needed to get some fuel in me but I wanted to vomit just thinking about eating a gel or anything so I didn't which I knew was going to come back to bite me.  About halfway through the bike, it started raining pretty good but luckily it stopped before I was finished.  At least I didn't crash.  After I get off the bike, I put my running shoe on my left foot and as soon as I touch the ground I have pain in the balls of my foot.  Don't know why, didn't do anything to it that I know of.  Hadn't had any issues with my foot leading up to the event either but ever time I took as step it hurt. So now my stomach and my foot hurt as I start to run.  For the first three miles, I was somewhere between 9:00-9:30 minute mile which is about a minute slower than my usual pace.  Right after passing the 3-mile mark, I bonk.  Like I said, I knew it was coming, I was just hoping it would wait till I was almost done.  My legs were wanting to cramp up because I flushed my electrolytes.  Tried to stop and do a quad stretch but when I bent my leg, my hamstring cramped.  So, the last three miles I had to walk/run. 

It was frustrating because I didn't make my goal but I have to remind myself that one, I finished and two, I would have been well below 3 hours if I didn't have the issues I had.  At least it will be easy to set a new PR at the next one, lol.  The next one will probably be a little closer to home so I'm not having to mess with travel and eating on the road.  I think that probably was the main culprit to the stomach cramps which led to everything else. 

Caleb

Hey Carl,

Sorry to hear you didn't have the race you hoped for... I think every time you bump up to a new distance, it's a new learning experience. One thing you might to consider is trying to figure out what might have caused your stomach issues. Did you eat something different for breakfast than normal? Use a new sports nutrition product? Use a product you have used before, but not during a high intensity effort? In one of my first Olympic distance races, I was using Accelerade for nutrition. I had used it in training, but mostly for longer bike rides at more of a zone 2 type effort, not at "race pace". Well, I found out during the race that my stomach didn't particularly care for Accelerade when I was working at a higher intensity (I think it was the protein in the mix...)

I actually think you did really well for your first Olympic distance race, especially considering all the troubles you encountered! Keep up your training, nail down your nutrition, and you will definitely break that 3:00 goal in the future!
2010-09-08 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3086859

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
jsnowash - 2010-09-08 8:49 AM
cspreiter - 2010-09-07 6:51 PM Well I had a rough first olympic tri.  Here are my results: Overall 3:04:59, Swim 31:15, Bike 1:18:46, Run 1:09:39.

I was shooting to be below 3 hours and I think I would have made it if I hadn't had the problems I had.  The swim went well.  I was a little faster than I expected and felt really good coming out of the water.  It was all downhill from there.  As soon as I got started with my ride, my stomach started cramping.  I don't know what was causing it but it was making me feel sick to my stomach.  I knew I needed to get some fuel in me but I wanted to vomit just thinking about eating a gel or anything so I didn't which I knew was going to come back to bite me.  About halfway through the bike, it started raining pretty good but luckily it stopped before I was finished.  At least I didn't crash.  After I get off the bike, I put my running shoe on my left foot and as soon as I touch the ground I have pain in the balls of my foot.  Don't know why, didn't do anything to it that I know of.  Hadn't had any issues with my foot leading up to the event either but ever time I took as step it hurt. So now my stomach and my foot hurt as I start to run.  For the first three miles, I was somewhere between 9:00-9:30 minute mile which is about a minute slower than my usual pace.  Right after passing the 3-mile mark, I bonk.  Like I said, I knew it was coming, I was just hoping it would wait till I was almost done.  My legs were wanting to cramp up because I flushed my electrolytes.  Tried to stop and do a quad stretch but when I bent my leg, my hamstring cramped.  So, the last three miles I had to walk/run. 

It was frustrating because I didn't make my goal but I have to remind myself that one, I finished and two, I would have been well below 3 hours if I didn't have the issues I had.  At least it will be easy to set a new PR at the next one, lol.  The next one will probably be a little closer to home so I'm not having to mess with travel and eating on the road.  I think that probably was the main culprit to the stomach cramps which led to everything else. 

Caleb
Hey Carl, Sorry to hear you didn't have the race you hoped for... I think every time you bump up to a new distance, it's a new learning experience. One thing you might to consider is trying to figure out what might have caused your stomach issues. Did you eat something different for breakfast than normal? Use a new sports nutrition product? Use a product you have used before, but not during a high intensity effort? In one of my first Olympic distance races, I was using Accelerade for nutrition. I had used it in training, but mostly for longer bike rides at more of a zone 2 type effort, not at "race pace". Well, I found out during the race that my stomach didn't particularly care for Accelerade when I was working at a higher intensity (I think it was the protein in the mix...) I actually think you did really well for your first Olympic distance race, especially considering all the troubles you encountered! Keep up your training, nail down your nutrition, and you will definitely break that 3:00 goal in the future!

Was this a saltwater swim? I was also wondering if maybe you swallowed a little more water than you thought....
2010-09-10 2:22 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
So - I survived the first 20 mile training run of my marathon build today.... it was a perfect day for a long run - low 70's, slight breeze, low humidity - great conditions! At the moment I'm feeling tired, but not TOO terribly sore. I'm hoping my bigger run base this time around will help me recover more quickly from these long runs. I teach my first spinning class tomorrow (well, the first one that is officially "my" class), so I hope I'm pretty well recovered by tomorrow afternoon so I can make it through the class!
2010-09-14 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I am training for the Baltimore Half Marathon on Oct 16th. I also have a metric marathon (16.2 miles) on Nove 14th, one month later.

Do I adjust my training plan with the metric marathon as a goal that way I know I will cover the haf marathon distance? OR
Do I continue on track for the HM and afterwards, taper/recover for a week, then pick back up for 2 weeks then taper the week before?

I want to do well in both races. Both are very hilly courses so I don't expect a PR. The metric marathon is to see if I like running longer than 13.1 miles as I consider a marathon next spring. However, it has a 3.5 hour limit so I have to keep my pace going as I am slow. My last half marathon was 3:06.

Lovey
2010-09-15 5:22 AM
in reply to: #3097451

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey,

Are you following a specific HM training program? If so, what is the length of the longest run, and when will you do that run? At only a month out from your HM, I don't think there's a whole lot you can or should do to modify your training... I think your best bet would be, like you say, to stay on track with your HM training plan. You might consider modifying the HM plan slightly by adding a SMALL amount of distance - no more than 1 mile - to each long run, but ONLY if you can complete the extra distance without feeling completely trashed.... Then you can pick up where you were when you are recovered from the HM, giving you a couple of weeks to add some additional distance to your long runs to prep for the metric marathon. Good luck!

2010-09-15 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3099199

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
jsnowash - 2010-09-15 6:22 AM

Lovey,

Are you following a specific HM training program? If so, what is the length of the longest run, and when will you do that run? At only a month out from your HM, I don't think there's a whole lot you can or should do to modify your training... I think your best bet would be, like you say, to stay on track with your HM training plan. You might consider modifying the HM plan slightly by adding a SMALL amount of distance - no more than 1 mile - to each long run, but ONLY if you can complete the extra distance without feeling completely trashed.... Then you can pick up where you were when you are recovered from the HM, giving you a couple of weeks to add some additional distance to your long runs to prep for the metric marathon. Good luck!

I am following a plan but don’t know who made it. It was given to us by our coach. My running club has a half marathon training program that meets once a week. They give you a schedule to follow the rest of the week.

The longest run on the schedule is 13-14 miles so far. I have only done a 10 miler and an 11 mile run because of triathlon training and other time constraints. The training schedule is 5x a week runs but I only do 3 with an occasional short 4th run in. I will be adding a 4th run each week for the next 5 weeks. I have to work up to 5x but I rather cross train (swim). I am going to try and do the remaining long runs.

M: 2-4 miles (usually rest but will be adding this run)
T: group workout usually 5 miles of speed workouts or hill training
W: 2-4 miles (I usually do weights)
T: 5-7 miles
F: rest or XT
Sa: long run
Su: rest or XT (I usually bike)

Here are my scheduled long runs:
9/18 – 12 to 14 miles
9/25 – 13 to 15 miles
10/02 – 8 to 10 miles
10/09 – 6 to 8 miles
10/16 – race day for Half Marathon
10/23 –
10/30 - ?? 10K the following day (10/31)
11/06 –
11/14 - race day for Metric Marathon

Lovey
2010-09-16 11:53 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey - do you think you'll be recovered enough from your HM to do a long run (10+ miles) the following weekend?
2010-09-16 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3102234

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
jsnowash - 2010-09-16 12:53 PM

Lovey - do you think you'll be recovered enough from your HM to do a long run (10+ miles) the following weekend?

I think if I rest Mon, Tues and Wed then doa an easy 5 miles on Thursdays, I should be able to do a 10 mile run as long as I take it slow and easy.
2010-09-17 4:26 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Sorry.... One more question - how important is the 10K at the end of October? Do you plan to race it or treat it more like a training run? Oh, and do you have any flexibility regarding when you can do your long run (i.e., could you do it toward the end of the week, like maybe Th/Fri or the beginning of the week, Mon/Tues?)

Edited by jsnowash 2010-09-17 4:27 AM
2010-09-17 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3103640

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
jsnowash - 2010-09-17 5:26 AM

Sorry.... One more question - how important is the 10K at the end of October? Do you plan to race it or treat it more like a training run? Oh, and do you have any flexibility regarding when you can do your long run (i.e., could you do it toward the end of the week, like maybe Th/Fri or the beginning of the week, Mon/Tues?)

It’s the Marine Corp 10K that I have done the past 3 years and I love doing it.
I can make it a training race no big deal. Even at my current training pace, I will beat last year’s time so I am not too worried about it.

My biggest concern is the metric marathon because of the race time limit. Its 3.5 hours which means I have to maintain no slower than a 13 min pace. I am not fast by any means. My fastest 5K pace is 11:42 and 10K pace was 12:47.

I could do my long runs in the week (Fri) but I would be by myself in the dark and my hubby would probably kill me for making him worry. Maybe once in a while if I can get a partner. I do Sat because that’s when my group runs but Sundays are ideal for me.

What about changing my long run days? Is that so I can add a 4th run in or get semi-long run in before a Sat race?

Lovey

2010-09-17 12:34 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I was just thinking you might be able to shift your long run by a day or two the week of the 10K so that you could have some rest/recovery between the two.... It would be good if you could get a long run in that week, but I'm afraid if you try to do a long run on Saturday and then the 10K on Sunday (and we all know that even when we say we're not going to "race", we tend to push a little harder in races than we do in training), it might be too much.
2010-09-17 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3104651

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
jsnowash - 2010-09-17 1:34 PM

I was just thinking you might be able to shift your long run by a day or two the week of the 10K so that you could have some rest/recovery between the two.... It would be good if you could get a long run in that week, but I'm afraid if you try to do a long run on Saturday and then the 10K on Sunday (and we all know that even when we say we're not going to "race", we tend to push a little harder in races than we do in training), it might be too much.

I think I could do a long run that Friday. I think I may have day off actually or at least the morning off. Maybe a 12 mile run or do I would I still need to go longer?

Lovey
2010-09-17 10:10 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hmmm, well, your schedules a little tight for the metric marathon, especially with the 10K thrown in there. The first thing you might want to consider is shortening your taper for the half-marathon. My guess is you won't really need three weeks of taper, and you could get another longer run in closer to the distance of your metric marathon. I think I would also suggest trying to make your long runs leading up to the half-marathon on the longer side (i.e., if the plan calls for 10 - 12, try to do 11 or 12 vs 10), but keep them at an VERY easy pace. I'm a little worried about your long runs constituting too high a percentage of your total run volume (I like to keep my long run to about 1/3 of my total weekly volume, though maybe a little more for my longest marathon training runs), but I think if you keep the runs easy, you'll be okay.

Your long run schedule might change to look something like this:

9/18 – 12 to 14 miles
9/25 – 13 to 15 miles
10/02 – 14 to 16 miles
10/09 – 8 to 10 miles
10/23 – 9 to 11 (if you feel up to it)
10/30 - (Perhaps 11 - 13 on Friday); 10K on 10/31
11/06 – 8 to 10

I hope that helps!
2010-09-18 5:27 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
So how's everybody been? It's been kind of quiet lately! By the way, the Mentor Group season is officially over, but it would be great to keep in touch with you guys and see how everything is going. Anybody have any races coming up? I know Fernando is running the ING Rock 'n Roll HM in Philly this weekend (Good Luck Fernando!). I'm planning to run a 5K on Sunday. This one is more to support the cause than for any other reason.... The race is Zacks Run (http://hebdafoundation.org/race/race-directions.php), and raises money to fight Childhood cancers. A college friend of mine who I reconnected with on Facebook is the RD. Zack was my friend's son - sadly they lost Zack to a childhood cancer 10 years ago.... So, I'm gonna drive 2+ hours to the University of Md to run a small 5K... I'm happy to do it, though.

2010-09-18 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3105576

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
jsnowash - 2010-09-17 11:10 PM

Hmmm, well, your schedules a little tight for the metric marathon, especially with the 10K thrown in there. The first thing you might want to consider is shortening your taper for the half-marathon. My guess is you won't really need three weeks of taper, and you could get another longer run in closer to the distance of your metric marathon. I think I would also suggest trying to make your long runs leading up to the half-marathon on the longer side (i.e., if the plan calls for 10 - 12, try to do 11 or 12 vs 10), but keep them at an VERY easy pace. I'm a little worried about your long runs constituting too high a percentage of your total run volume (I like to keep my long run to about 1/3 of my total weekly volume, though maybe a little more for my longest marathon training runs), but I think if you keep the runs easy, you'll be okay.

Your long run schedule might change to look something like this:

9/18 – 12 to 14 miles
9/25 – 13 to 15 miles
10/02 – 14 to 16 miles
10/09 – 8 to 10 miles
10/23 – 9 to 11 (if you feel up to it)
10/30 - (Perhaps 11 - 13 on Friday); 10K on 10/31
11/06 – 8 to 10

I hope that helps!

Thanks this really helps. Today I did a little over 12 miles. Next week, I planned a 13-15 mile run but due to my son's football game and location of my run, I will have to split my run into a 10 mile run in the morning and 5 mile later that day. The rest of the schedule is looks good to me.

Next year, I will be spreading my races out. the metric marathon was originally in Dec and got moved to November because it got snowed out 2 years in a row. Back to back long races was not on my schedule.

Lovey

2010-09-20 8:38 AM

User image

Hi everyone,
I've been out of the Triathlon loop. I bailed out of my last tri for the season due to an elbow injury. I was worried with an 800 meter swim in the bay. I don't have anything planned and probably should look into some 5Ks. Do any of you find your motivation wanes as the tri season comes to an end. I feel like I need to work towards a goal in the foreseeable future. I'm really having to convince myself to get moving. Maybe I need to try some different types of exercise. Any suggestions?  
2010-09-20 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3107503

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Keiren - 2010-09-20 9:38 AM

Hi everyone,
I've been out of the Triathlon loop. I bailed out of my last tri for the season due to an elbow injury. I was worried with an 800 meter swim in the bay. I don't have anything planned and probably should look into some 5Ks. Do any of you find your motivation wanes as the tri season comes to an end. I feel like I need to work towards a goal in the foreseeable future. I'm really having to convince myself to get moving. Maybe I need to try some different types of exercise. Any suggestions?  

Sorry you had to drop out of your last race.

Which of the 3 disciplines do you prefer? If there is one you prefer, doing that one may keep you motivated.

I prefer running so after tri season, I focus on my running. As along as my group continues to train, I will train. I have signed up for a half marathon and a metric marathon. Winter is a great time to run. I still swim 2x a week for maintenance but I don’t put any pressure on myself even though it’s the same triathlon class I pushed myself thru all year.

Strength training tends to slack off in tri-season for a lot of us so picking that up can help build and maintain some muscles over the winter.

Just my 2 cents.

Lovey
2010-09-20 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA

Hi gang. My wife and I did the ING Philly half mary yesterday. What a perfect weekend. Weather was awesome, the venue was great, and we hooked up with some friends who also did the race so we had a great time (kids stayed home Laughing)

We were able to beat our goal by a tinny fraction. I have to confess it was my wife who made it possible. My tapper week was not the best due to schedule conflicts, and I think I wasn't rested enough (excuses, excuses). She was basically my pacer. Throughout most of the race I thought we were going too hard based on my HR, so I kept suggesting to slow down to be conservative. We ended up never doing it, and I found out we had enough in the tank.
At one point I asked her: "why are you going so fast?"...she answered: "this is a race, isn't it?"
Anyways, it worked out great. She says maybe it was better that I held us back a bit (I think she is just being nice).
If planning any 1/2 or full marathons I would recommend the Rock 'n' Roll series. What a fun event, well organized, great music.

Edited by guticur 2010-09-20 2:13 PM
2010-09-20 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3107827

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
guticur - 2010-09-20 11:48 AM

Hi gang. My wife and I did the ING Philly half mary yesterday. What a perfect weekend. Weather was awesome, the venue was great, and we hooked up with some friends who also did the race so we had a great time (kids stayed home Laughing)

We were able to beat our goal by a tinny fraction. I have to confess it was my wife who made it possible. My tapper week was not the best due to schedule conflicts, and I think I wasn't rested enough (excuses, excuses). She was basically my pacer. Throughout most of the race I thought we were going too hard based on my HR, so I kept suggesting to slow down to be conservative. We ended up never doing it, and I found out we had enough in the tank.
At one point I asked he: "why are you going so fast?"...he answer: "this is a race, isn't it?"
Anyways, it worked out great. She says maybe it was better that I held us back a bit (I think she is just being nice).
If planning any 1/2 of full marathons I would recommend the Rock 'n' Roll series. What a fun event, well organized, great music.

A lot of my running buddies did the race along with a couple of friends. I watchd them live online crossing the finish line. It was great to see. I so wish I was there.
Congrats on doing well. I think you owe her one now.

Lovey
2010-09-22 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Finally got back in the pool! I still remember how to swim. I took it super slow just to check my form. It wasn't to horrible. Looking forward to building up strength again.

2010-09-23 5:52 AM
in reply to: #3107503

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Keiren - 2010-09-20 9:38 AM

Hi everyone,

Keiren,

So sorry to hear about your elbow injury! What a bummer! I'm not sure what to suggest in terms of type of exercise.... For me, it seems to help to have some goal to work toward. That's the main reason why I register for races! It keeps me motivated to get my workouts in! Finding some 5K's or 10K's might help motivate you to work on your running. I'm not sure if that's something that would work for you or not. If you belong to a gym, maybe try out some group exercise classes and see if there's something you like. There are also some "Winter Maintenance" training plans here on BT - you chould check some of those out...

BTW, I DO find that my motivation tends to wane a bit at the end of the season.... The past couple of years I've added a fall running goal race (usually longer, half marathon, or this year full marathon) to keep me motivated a bit longer. But I do enjoy taking a bit of time off from structured training at the end of that period.
2010-09-23 5:56 AM
in reply to: #3111347

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-09-22 7:47 AM

Finally got back in the pool! I still remember how to swim. I took it super slow just to check my form. It wasn't to horrible. Looking forward to building up strength again.

I hear ya! I haven't been in the pool since our outdoor pool closed Labor Day weekend. (Last year I stayed away from the pool from Sept - March -- not sure I would recommend that plan!) I think I may go for an easy swim today, though. I did my 2nd 20 miler yesterday, and an easy swim and a soak in the hot tub and cold plunge today sounds like just the ticket! I'll try to get back into a more balanced training routine once the marathon is over!

2010-09-25 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Finished a 16 miler this morning. Its my longest run to date. definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I really thought I balanced out water vs gatorade well.

I had toast and pb before starting.
At 5 miles, I had a banana and water.
Gu at miles 9 and 13.
I carried gatorade to sip along the way, so I only drank water at the water stops but refilled my gatorade.

Lovey
2010-09-25 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3117384

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Nice job, Lovey!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32