2011-01-23 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3316414

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-23 2:17 PM
tmoran80 - 2011-01-23 12:40 PM

I think I have basically done everything the cardiologist can do besides cutting me open and physically looking at my heart -lol. 

I think you? ?might ?b?e? ?t?h?e? ?o?n?e? ?w?h?o? need?s to go see a ???D?r?.?/??shrink if you actually enjoy and look forward to ?9? ?h?o?u?r? ?d?r?i?v?e? ?-?h?a?h?a

???Go Bears?
?
?

?

cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-22 9:59 PM
Once I realised I wasn't running today, I moved on to my favorite time of the week - drive day! Went for a 'quick' 9 hour drive up to the mountains and back, stopping off for BBQ on the way and likely consuming a weeks worth of calories Laughing

Tim - I would definitely get your heart issue checked out. I had been convinced I was feeling palpitations in my chest for a while too. I finally got round to seeing my primary care about 10 days ago. She confirmed my heartbeat was irregular and thought I might have a prolapsed valve. Saw the cardio 3 days later, she confirmed my mumur and wants a cardiogram to see the extent of the prolapse. While yours sounds different, when it comes to your heart, you only have one. If in doubt, check it out. It may be absolutely nothing, in which case you can reassure your wife and go about your training. If she is worried and wants you to stop, then her peace of mind alone may be worth a visit?
lol you know what they say..... happy wife = happy life Wink 

Then whoo hoo - happy training!

LOL I love a long drive, no Dr. needed. The plus side is every now and then I get the chance to photograph one of these bad boys.....

WOW - what a picture - AWESOME. That would almost be worth a 9 hour drive. Where is that taken? Where do you live again?

KC

2011-01-23 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3316572

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
kcgolf - 2011-01-23 3:27 PM
robburkett - 2011-01-23 1:24 PM

razorxp - 2011-01-22 8:59 PM
robburkett - 2011-01-22 8:46 PM Felt really good in the bike workout today.  Rather than focusing on completing distance (today's called for 12.5 miles) I went for time (40 min).  Really pleased with the results.

Went to a local nutrition store and picked up some protein powder.  That's been the only way I've been able to consume calories and still put "good food" in me.

Nice job Rob, what type of protein did you pick up?

Right now, I'm using Grusco Inc.'s ISO Fort.  Two scoops gets me 54g of protein and 8g of carbs, which I'm pretty happy with.  I used to buy Nature's Best Isopure, but that's $12 more so I gambled on the ISO Fort.  It was a good call.  The Grusco product is a whey isolate which is allegedly better and of course has the branch chain amino acids.  I have no idea what branch chain amino acids are but it sure does sound nice, doesn't it?

Off to the store to get some mango nectar and then throw down my run before THE GAME!

Did we settle on what the Packers fans oops losers will have to "pay"?  Around the world workout is it?

Almost half time - I think you might want to start figuring out what your workout is going to be - LOL.

KC

Well, with the "colander" formation that the Bears offensive line has, we can't say that there have been any surprises so far.  Let's see if the defense can start stripping the ball.
2011-01-23 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3316587

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
robburkett - 2011-01-23 4:35 PM
kcgolf - 2011-01-23 3:27 PM
robburkett - 2011-01-23 1:24 PM

razorxp - 2011-01-22 8:59 PM
robburkett - 2011-01-22 8:46 PM Felt really good in the bike workout today.  Rather than focusing on completing distance (today's called for 12.5 miles) I went for time (40 min).  Really pleased with the results.

Went to a local nutrition store and picked up some protein powder.  That's been the only way I've been able to consume calories and still put "good food" in me.

Nice job Rob, what type of protein did you pick up?

Right now, I'm using Grusco Inc.'s ISO Fort.  Two scoops gets me 54g of protein and 8g of carbs, which I'm pretty happy with.  I used to buy Nature's Best Isopure, but that's $12 more so I gambled on the ISO Fort.  It was a good call.  The Grusco product is a whey isolate which is allegedly better and of course has the branch chain amino acids.  I have no idea what branch chain amino acids are but it sure does sound nice, doesn't it?

Off to the store to get some mango nectar and then throw down my run before THE GAME!

Did we settle on what the Packers fans oops losers will have to "pay"?  Around the world workout is it?

Almost half time - I think you might want to start figuring out what your workout is going to be - LOL.

KC

Well, with the "colander" formation that the Bears offensive line has, we can't say that there have been any surprises so far.  Let's see if the defense can start stripping the ball.

Good Luck
2011-01-23 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Took the advice of some of the experience in this group (thanks Rob and Razor) and did a 30 minute dip in the pool instead of nothing at all and really enjoyed it. I did a few laps, some breathing drills, some catch up drills. Just spent some more time getting comfortable in the H20 Smile.

Came home and did some weights and continued to work my physio excercises for the neck/shoulder/arm.

Seeing coach tomorrow - she is going to test me but I am looking foward to it.

KC
2011-01-23 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Deb, How close were you to that beast??? Hope you had a long lens and you were not a few feet away!

Erin, my only advice would be to come up with a super quick nutrition plan.  I know it seems hard to do but you just have to make time to eat.  Just take a bathroom break every 2hrs and carry a snack.  A cup of yogurt and berries takes about 2 mins to eat. Something even easier (not as good for you) is  cliff bar or power bar.  A few apples/bananas/cottage cheese/carrots/cheese.  There are a million things you can eat quickly you just have to make it a priority.  This is not just for triathlon its not healthy to skip eating like this all the time.

KC glad you enjoyed your day at the pool.  I have noticed the more comfortable people are in the water the better they swim.

PACKERS are IN>>>>>>>>
2011-01-23 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

So, was there actually a workout "bet"?  I didn't see many chiming in lately...

I feel a HIM brick coming on...

2011-01-23 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3316758

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
robburkett - 2011-01-23 6:30 PM

So, was there actually a workout "bet"?  I didn't see many chiming in lately...

I feel a HIM brick coming on...

We are not going to make you do a HIM Brick - we trust you to do something extra as a punishment for your devotion to the Bears LOL. Of course, we can always make another wager on the Super Bowl.
KC
2011-01-23 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3316733

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-01-23 6:15 PM Deb, How close were you to that beast??? Hope you had a long lens and you were not a few feet away!

Erin, my only advice would be to come up with a super quick nutrition plan.  I know it seems hard to do but you just have to make time to eat.  Just take a bathroom break every 2hrs and carry a snack.  A cup of yogurt and berries takes about 2 mins to eat. Something even easier (not as good for you) is  cliff bar or power bar.  A few apples/bananas/cottage cheese/carrots/cheese.  There are a million things you can eat quickly you just have to make it a priority.  This is not just for triathlon its not healthy to skip eating like this all the time.

KC glad you enjoyed your day at the pool.  I have noticed the more comfortable people are in the water the better they swim.

PACKERS are IN>>>>>>>>

Thanks Coach - every minute in the wet stuff will help me in the long run.

Erin - I have  a tendancy to forget to make time for meals as well so I keep apples close by, I keep bio protein bars in my gym bag, desk drawers, golf bag, glove box, knap sack, book bags - somewhere close by all the time. I also carry a little bag of almonds and dried fruit in my pockets or in the same place I keep my bars. Hope that gives you some ideas.

KC 
2011-01-23 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I did 2:30 on the Wisconsin IM Real Vid again...love that.  Learning lots..did it at 75% and 90 rpms.  Stronger this week?  Could it be because I ate 300 cals on the bike?  I'm thinking yes.  2 Gu chocolate outrage gels in water and a bana.  The perceived exertion was lower, I can tell you that.

Then I drove to the gym and swam 2200 at 2:10/100.  Felt like I could go on forever at that pace.  Bilateral breathing, nice kick, learning to complete the stroke and glide. 

Wish the Bears and Packers played every Sunday.,  No one was there.

2011-01-23 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3316938

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
IceManScott - 2011-01-23 8:08 PM I did 2:30 on the Wisconsin IM Real Vid again...love that.  Learning lots..did it at 75% and 90 rpms.  Stronger this week?  Could it be because I ate 300 cals on the bike?  I'm thinking yes.  2 Gu chocolate outrage gels in water and a bana.  The perceived exertion was lower, I can tell you that.

Then I drove to the gym and swam 2200 at 2:10/100.  Felt like I could go on forever at that pace.  Bilateral breathing, nice kick, learning to complete the stroke and glide. 

Wish the Bears and Packers played every Sunday.,  No one was there.

Nice work Scott.
kc
2011-01-23 7:44 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Everyone.

I need some advice about tri clothing. I am shoping for a few things.

1) running shoes - any suggestions regarding make and model would be very much appreciated. Currently I wear a nice pair of saucony, I like them, they are comfy but I have always just bought my runners off the shelf discount style and really have no idea what I am doing when I buy them. I am thinking about going to a goo d running store to discuss fit with someone - any thoughts?

2) Clothing - I would like some feed back from those of you that have some experience. I am wondering about tri suits vs short and cycling shorts. What do you prefer and why? Maybe some ideas on brands? I think I would prefer a complete suit but not sure.

Thanks.

Hope everyone had a great day and I hope we all have a great week Smile doing whatever it is we do.

KC

2011-01-23 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3316992

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
kcgolf - 2011-01-23 8:44 PM Hi Everyone.

1) running shoes - any suggestions regarding make and model would be very much appreciated. Currently I wear a nice pair of saucony, I like them, they are comfy but I have always just bought my runners off the shelf discount style and really have no idea what I am doing when I buy them. I am thinking about going to a goo d running store to discuss fit with someone - any thoughts?

2) Clothing - I would like some feed back from those of you that have some experience. I am wondering about tri suits vs short and cycling shorts. What do you prefer and why? Maybe some ideas on brands? I think I would prefer a complete suit but not sure.

Thanks.

Hope everyone had a great day and I hope we all have a great week Smile doing whatever it is we do.

KC

Shoes - very personal choice. I would go to a running store. Get a gait analysis done, and then try the different ones they have available. I have a foot issue, and so far I have only found one pair that I am comfortable in (Nike). If/ when you do get a new pair, use them on the treadmill before you go outside in them. That way if they aggravate anything you should be able to return them.

Clothing - again, it's personal choice. I have a tri suit, and shorts and top. If I am doing a sprint, a tri suit is great. However, I expect to use my shorts and top for my HIM. They are easier for 'stops'.

2011-01-23 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3317043

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-23 9:11 PM

Thanks.

KC

Shoes - very personal choice. I would go to a running store. Get a gait analysis done, and then try the different ones they have available. I have a foot issue, and so far I have only found one pair that I am comfortable in (Nike). If/ when you do get a new pair, use them on the treadmill before you go outside in them. That way if they aggravate anything you should be able to return them.

Clothing - again, it's personal choice. I have a tri suit, and shorts and top. If I am doing a sprint, a tri suit is great. However, I expect to use my shorts and top for my HIM. They are easier for 'stops'.

Thanks Smile
2011-01-23 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Scott, that is great that your starting to work on nutrition on the bike. Even better that you get a better workout. Nice job...."..........Kc for shoes go to a running shop, ideally one that has equipment to watch your stride. Once you find a pair you like you can buy them at roadrunner. For me I have everything (2 newtons, 6 sacuany sp, asics, addidis) so there is no set type that are better. ...............On the clothes I wear desoto shorts (train&race except swim) and a couple diff tri tops. I have a 1 piece but never wore it, plus There is no way i would get caught dead training in one (just me). The desoto hold up very well & the ones I buy have 4 pockets to hold gels or beans.... A little mental trick i play on myself is to never swim in anything tight (ie tri shorts) I look like i'm going surfing with board shorts that create a ton of drag (5-10sec 100 slower). That way when i get in a race i feel so slick in the water.
2011-01-24 5:43 AM

Burlington
Good morning everyone! I just want to point out that it's -18 F this morning.  Really hinders on any motivation to get moving, especially to the gym but will definitely make it there this afternoon.  Hope you all haev a warm week!
2011-01-24 6:31 AM
in reply to: #3317219

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-01-23 11:07 PM Scott, that is great that your starting to work on nutrition on the bike. Even better that you get a better workout. Nice job...."..........Kc for shoes go to a running shop, ideally one that has equipment to watch your stride. Once you find a pair you like you can buy them at roadrunner. For me I have everything (2 newtons, 6 sacuany sp, asics, addidis) so there is no set type that are better. ...............On the clothes I wear desoto shorts (train&race except swim) and a couple diff tri tops. I have a 1 piece but never wore it, plus There is no way i would get caught dead training in one (just me). The desoto hold up very well & the ones I buy have 4 pockets to hold gels or beans.... A little mental trick i play on myself is to never swim in anything tight (ie tri shorts) I look like i'm going surfing with board shorts that create a ton of drag (5-10sec 100 slower). That way when i get in a race i feel so slick in the water.

Hey Coach - what to you mean that you wear the desoto shorts to train and race except swim - what do you wear to swim?

2011-01-24 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3317435

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kcgolf - 2011-01-24 6:31 AM
razorxp - 2011-01-23 11:07 PM Scott, that is great that your starting to work on nutrition on the bike. Even better that you get a better workout. Nice job...."..........Kc for shoes go to a running shop, ideally one that has equipment to watch your stride. Once you find a pair you like you can buy them at roadrunner. For me I have everything (2 newtons, 6 sacuany sp, asics, addidis) so there is no set type that are better. ...............On the clothes I wear desoto shorts (train&race except swim) and a couple diff tri tops. I have a 1 piece but never wore it, plus There is no way i would get caught dead training in one (just me). The desoto hold up very well & the ones I buy have 4 pockets to hold gels or beans.... A little mental trick i play on myself is to never swim in anything tight (ie tri shorts) I look like i'm going surfing with board shorts that create a ton of drag (5-10sec 100 slower). That way when i get in a race i feel so slick in the water.

Hey Coach - what to you mean that you wear the desoto shorts to train and race except swim - what do you wear to swim?

Thanks on the nutrition ideas everyone.   I still am not where I should be for the overall day.  Working on that.

Shoes - totally agree, go to a good run shop and surrender yourself to the wise ones.   I'm still wearing the original kind they hooked me up with.  Thinking about talking to them about lighter race shoes but don't want injuries...

I wear a lot of tri tops...My coaching team has one...test a few.   I get them on sale.  Pockets are a must.  Love the sleeveless. I get HOT.  I'm shopping for better tri shorts.  I wear Bontrager cycling shorts to train and they are good, but a little pricey.  I wear Speedo Endurance in the pool.  They last forever and only cost a few dollars more than spandex up front.

2011-01-24 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3317219

User image

Veteran
Mass.
razorxp - 2011-01-23 11:07 PMScott, that is great that your starting to work on nutrition on the bike. Even better that you get a better workout. Nice job...."..........Kc for shoes go to a running shop, ideally one that has equipment to watch your stride. Once you find a pair you like you can buy them at roadrunner. For me I have everything (2 newtons, 6 sacuany sp, asics, addidis) so there is no set type that are better. ...............On the clothes I wear desoto shorts (train&race except swim) and a couple diff tri tops. I have a 1 piece but never wore it, plus There is no way i would get caught dead training in one (just me). The desoto hold up very well & the ones I buy have 4 pockets to hold gels or beans.... A little mental trick i play on myself is to never swim in anything tight (ie tri shorts) I look like i'm going surfing with board shorts that create a ton of drag (5-10sec 100 slower). That way when i get in a race i feel so slick in the water.
I like Brooks running shoes. They're the best for me. I wear board shorts to go swimming to. One of my pockets became undone during a lap and it felt like I was dragging a boat. I'm hopping by doing that then on race day it'll be easier. I got a pair of Zoot tri shorts last week. Just wondering about support. You guys wear anything under them?
2011-01-24 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3317043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-23 8:11 PM

Thanks.

KC

^^This.

I'm fortunate enough that I found a running shoe store that will let me return the shoe even if it blows up after 200 miles on it.  A good running shoe store may be a drive for you, but it will be well worth it.

On clothing, I bought a pair of tri shorts for the first tri I did, which was a mini-sprint.  Though "they" say not to, I train in them now and find them far more comfortable than biking shorts.  I'm going to wear through them faster as a result, but I'm willing to deal with that.  The shorts are from Zoot and while I like them, I can't provide any comparative analysis either.

Good luck on your search.
2011-01-24 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3317516

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
kdevarenne - 2011-01-24 7:33 AM
razorxp - 2011-01-23 11:07 PMScott, that is great that your starting to work on nutrition on the bike. Even better that you get a better workout. Nice job...."..........Kc for shoes go to a running shop, ideally one that has equipment to watch your stride. Once you find a pair you like you can buy them at roadrunner. For me I have everything (2 newtons, 6 sacuany sp, asics, addidis) so there is no set type that are better. ...............On the clothes I wear desoto shorts (train&race except swim) and a couple diff tri tops. I have a 1 piece but never wore it, plus There is no way i would get caught dead training in one (just me). The desoto hold up very well & the ones I buy have 4 pockets to hold gels or beans.... A little mental trick i play on myself is to never swim in anything tight (ie tri shorts) I look like i'm going surfing with board shorts that create a ton of drag (5-10sec 100 slower). That way when i get in a race i feel so slick in the water.
I like Brooks running shoes. They're the best for me. I wear board shorts to go swimming to. One of my pockets became undone during a lap and it felt like I was dragging a boat. I'm hopping by doing that then on race day it'll be easier. I got a pair of Zoot tri shorts last week. Just wondering about support. You guys wear anything under them?

Tri shorts are like bike shorts - go commando (nothing underneath).

And I'm on the opposite side of the argument of wearing recreational swim shorts.  While the pool is no match against OWS for gauging performance, I still think I can get a general sense of how I am going to perform in the swim by wearing something similar to tri shorts (jammers in my case). 
2011-01-24 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

I think most wear nothing under their tri shorts?? I think it would defeat the purpose if you put something under it, but to each his own.

KC I just don't wear my tri shorts in the pool for 2 reasons: 1st it destroys them, the chlorine will eat them up in a few months with heavy swimming.  Also I like to feel the extra resistance while training.  I do the same thing with biking too, I don't use any areo gear (helmet, wheels) and wear normal tshirts.  My training rides are always much slower than my races even though my watts are the same.  The same thing holds true in swimming, for me my pool times are much slower than race times (better clothes & not stopping every 25 yards)

Bryan, I'm with you this cold is very unmotivating.  Hang in there it will get better. 

2011-01-24 9:33 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Thanks for the clothing input team.

KC
2011-01-24 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3316733

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
razorxp - 2011-01-23 4:15 PM  

Hey coach. Thanks for the input. You are right. I just need to HTFU. If I want to make it a priority I can. If I want to whine about it I can do that too. But then I'd just be doing the same thing I've been doing for years. Making excuses why I can't. Or not giving everything so that I have a reason when I don't perform as well as expected. So I'm going to take this by the horns (again) and get after it.

Thanks coach! 
2011-01-24 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3316263

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
sanhador - 2011-01-23 11:06 AM Hey guys it's me again. Had a busy week at work with lots of extras to do so haven't blogged much. But my logs are up to date (finally)!! As everyone is talking about nutrition I've got a query for the group. I work long hours (usually 12+ hour days) and my meal times are dictated by my customers. I'm normally at work by 8 so breakfast is at 7 - 7:30 and then I have days like Wednesday when I didn't eat again until 3 because we got busy. That was a meal scarfed in about 10 minutes and that was the last chance I had to sit down the rest of the day. So I finished up work at 9 pm and then realized I was VERY hungry and didn't feel like making anything - which lead to the unfortunate decision of Little Caesars at 9 pm. (I am SOOOOO ashamed ) Usually it's not that bad but it does get crazy like that every once in a while. Even on good days I never know when I'm going to eat. I try for 7a, 10a, 1p, 4p, and 6p but that rarely seems to work out. Somewhere around 1 I usually realize I skipped some food somewhere along the way and then I'm playing catch up the rest of the day and then I tend to stay somewhat hungry the rest of the day. And if I don't eat by 6:30 I'm pretty much done until we close. So any ideas or does anyone else deal with a crazy schedule?

Thanks for the help! 

Erin, let's try to get better together at this.  I eat 3 meals and one snack...but it comes to less than what it should because I don't plan ahead.  I won't eat bad food late just to make up cals so I wind up in deficit even when I know that I would feel better and have stronger workouts if I fueled better.  I KNOW this can't go on as things ramp up for the IM.  I'll never make it.  So I started over the weekend trying to fuel during exercise here at home only to forget to take food with to the gym.  Would up low again.  But I'm making it a priority.  Has to get better.  It will.  Snack after work, dinner, snack later but before 8.  Today is a light day - only strength and yoga.  I'm thinking 2,600 would be about right with a resting met of 2000. 

2011-01-24 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3317893

User image

Expert

Decided to make an appointment with the Doc for friday for heart and general check up.  on a side note the Bears game did not help my heart at all  this weekend.  It also didn't help my vocal chords as I was pretty much screaming the whole gameYell.

I am kind of glad I can get back to focusing on my long runs on Sundays because yesterday was pretty tough as I ran 13, got home tried to refuel and re-hydrate quickly for few hours before everyone came over only to drink too many beers and eat WAY too much junk food (this buffalo chicken dip some one brought was so addicting).  I woke up and chugged about 20oz. of water in the middle of the night and surprisingly I feel really good today.  I am taking a rest day for my legs since I really pushed them hard with the P90X plyometerics on saturday and long run on Sunday.  Back to the grind tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76