BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-06-23 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

Canon - Good luck with your race - have fun above all.

Denise

2011-06-23 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

I'm trying to come up with a realistic run pace for Racine.

Recent paces:

9:34 - 3 miles (This was part of a brick following a 16 mile bike)

9:55 - 6.2 miles (Buffalo Olympic - hot and one BIG hil)

10:30 - 13.1 miles (Felt like I could run longer - flat course - not hot)

Based on these, I was thinking of trying 10:30 pace, ending up with 11:00 pace overall (hills or walks thru aid stations).  However, when I look at Racine results from last year, an 11:00 pace ranked 1037/1657.  No way would I rank that high.  However, from reading the race reports from last year, the temp was brutally high.  When I look at the 2009 results (Spirit of Racine), an 11:00 pace ranked 1025/1180.  That seems like a reasonable rank for me.

So, what do you think?

Denise

2011-06-23 3:02 PM

User image

Alaska
Lisa - Not sure if you will log in while on your trip but hope so! I left you a PM with some Anchorage detail and my phone number. Please give me a call when you get here. Have a great trip!
2011-06-23 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3564341

User image

Champion

GANG!

Computer problems the past few days, but now operational again thanks to an after-hours house call from Geeks On Wheels. Whew!

"Whew!", too, about not a ton of activity in my absence. At least for me, that is good news - less to worry about having missed responding to!

Lynn needs the computer again NOW!!!, so I will see you all tomorrow.

Everything mostly hunky-dory?

2011-06-24 8:50 AM

Western Colorado

It sounds like everyone is doing lots of racing and having lots of fun.  I just got back from my sprint race in St. George, UT.  It was a really pretty course, and a great little tri.  It was my first open water swim.  It went pretty well, the water was pretty warm, 64 degrees, and much to my delight I did not come out of the water dizzy and staggering to my bike.  The bike course was generally downhill with only a few climbs, LOVED it!  I felt like a rock star on the bike, was 10th overall for women after T2, then I did my typical slug run.  I still improved my run time by almost 4 minutes (that just tells you how slow I run the third leg).  However it was still disappointing because four women in my age group passed me the last half of the run.  My husband, who was unable to participate in the race due to recent knee surgery, in now on a mission to improve my run time.  He is a pretty good 5k runner and is now planning my run training.  Yikes, I'm a little scared... but it's nice to know he cares!   He thinks I should be running at least 4 times a week with one day being distance, one sprint day (i.e. 400's) and two middle-ish distance days (1/2 miles).  I am open to any suggestions that you all might have to improve 5k times.  This season I am not doing anything longer than sprints, my goal is to get faster and be competitive at that distance before I go longer. 

Good luck to everyone,

Jessica

2011-06-24 2:35 PM

User image

Alaska
Jessica - The run plan your husband outlined for you sounds great to work toward improving your running and even better with his support! My advise is since this looks like increased time spent on the run, remind your husband you still need his support on biking and swimming each week. You dont want it to become a chore that competes with the other events you love. Have fun and congratulations on a good race and a supportive spouse! I foresee hardware in your future!

2011-06-24 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3559043

User image

Champion

VERONICA -

What's thta you say about "build my run distance"? From your accounts I would say that your run distances are extremely well-built as it is! You are knocking off some impressive endeavors/challenges, stuff that juts isn't for the faint of heart -- or those of us who keep our running 99.9% pavemented. I really have to dig through your logs to see what you have undertaken. My sense, though, is --- Mercy!!

One of the upsides of having dial-up is that I literally look at no more than 3 or 4 youtube things a year; it's just not worth the headache of waiting for something to download onto our machine. Beyond this, I have no social networking commitments at all. A friend set up a Facebook page for me, but I go to it less than once a month -- and for mere moments only, at that. I don't tweet, and without a cell phone I don't text, either. I used to keep up with the Slowtwitch forum, and a blues forum, and the main forum here, but now I just keep it to the mentor groups. That often seems to be more than enough to keep me off the streets!

Edited by stevebradley 2011-06-24 8:52 PM
2011-06-24 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3560821

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Great weekend for you, and your confidence has to be significantly higher now than it was eight days ago. You were very fortuante top have that opportunity, and very wise to avail yourself of it. I'm assuming you're not going back there until a few days pre-race, yes?

You might be surprised at how easy is it to follow that linne for as long as you like. You've probably seen photos of how wide people are spread at the beginning, and most of them keep that line for much of the first "out". They will gradually head leftward, working the long diagonal to the first buoy (waaaaaaaaaay out there!), but will then slacken on it as they start to bump people who have gone more straightward. By halfway through the first "back" leg, the crowds really will have thinned, and then for the second loop you will have the pickins of wherever you want to be.

I started maybe 30-40 back and close to where the line is, and within a few minutes I was where I wanted to be -- with the line always in my field of vision. As I said last week, in '04 it was legal to swim to the inside of the line, just as long as you went properly outside at the corners.

Another tip is to allow that draft to work for you!! I can't remember my times for the two loops, but it was many minutes faster the first loop -- even though i was sure I wasn't getting anywhere when the going was full of churning and turmoil at the start. But I like it to being swept along by a rogue wave, and if you can tough out the chaos, it wil help. The second loop, though, with a full spread-out in effect -- not much to help you except your own propulsion!

The run is kind of brutal, and in a number of ways and places:
-- the obvious killer hill back into the village, which is even more hurtful due to the 90-degree left turn back onto Main Street
-- the smaller climb at the base of the ski jumps, right after finishing with River Road and turning right is not fun
-- River Road itself is tedious; should be fairly easy....but isn't
-- psychological killer #1: about 2/10 of a mile from the start of the killer climb, you get a nice view across to the ice arena, which is next to the high school and which seems almost reachable. NOT!!!
-- psychological killer #2: being able to hear the finish line crowd noise from that same general spot; inlcuding Mike Reilly announcing the finishers
-- psychological killer #3: the two times you pass RIGHT NEXT TO THE FINISH ENTRY POINT as you are traversing Mirror Lake Road.

Good points:
-- the stretch between the killer hill and River Road, past all the motels, is really pleasant (why, I don't know)
-- great aid stations, and ya gotta go for the chicken broth!
-- psych. #3 becomes wonderful on the second loop, as it no longer amtters that others are entering the oval as you are hading out on M.L.R again, cuz within 10-15 minutes you will be doing the same!

As for the killer hill --- I made it all-running on the first loop, but on the second loop I had to walk part of it, before the left turn onto Main Street. I really wanted to run it all both times, but..........

2011-06-24 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3563322

User image

Champion

JEFF -

Dorm food, eh? Did you manage to put on the infamous "freshmen fifteen" in just three days, maybe? Yikes!!

2011-06-24 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3566560

User image

Champion

LISA -

Souvenirs for all of us, okay? You promised!

2011-06-24 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3564232

User image

Champion

DENISE -

I'm glad you posted that run request only yesterday, as I will think about it for another day or two. In the meantime, though......

I will tentatively say that for you first half-iron you should focus on staying inside yourself, and that's regardless of what your watch is telling you. That's easier said than done, of course, especially for me who is a real slave to his watch during races. But, I have been flummoxed in more than a few half-irons by setting aplan before the race and then watching it come unravelled depending on what happened on the bike -- both in pacing and nutrition. Add to that temp and wind, and I just find it difficult to set a realistic run plan for a half-iron.

Continuing in a tentative vein, I would aim conservative for the first half anyhow, and then see how you are doing. "Tanking" early in a half-iron is a miserable fate to reckon with, and so you want to avoid that at all costs. So, it will propbably be safe to have a couple of plans in pace, one for the first 5-7 miles, and then one for rest of the run -- depending on how you are feeling.

I think a lot of what you are seeing in those Racine results are people who set their sights too high and then hit their own personal hell too early. That will have them walking and dying and dying and walking from about mile three or four onwards, and so with a steady 11:00 pace you could end up doing far better overall than you might otherwise expect.

But as I said above, give me a day or two to fiddle around with your run info and the info from Racine, okay? For now, though, view the above as food for thought!

2011-06-25 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3565390

New user
Swansea, IL
Jessica - I have been in your same boat for the last year or so in wanting to improve my run times.  Runner's World website has lots of free training plans to do just that based upon a number of variables, including current times, distances run, training time available, etc.  Although I haven't always followed my plan religiously, I agree that once you develop an appropriate base of endurance, running intervals of 400 or 800 meters at a faster pace helps your body learn how to "run faster."

Edited by jrhesq 2011-06-25 8:24 AM
2011-06-25 12:13 PM

Western Colorado

Thanks for the encouragement and the runners world website, I will definately check that out! 

Jessica

2011-06-25 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3566554

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

Thanks Steve-

It was certainly good to go to Placid, that place is like Wonderland - everyone is active it seems!

What do you think about placement at the start of the swim?  I have two thoughts:

1) stay at the back, wait like, 1 min for the yahoos to get ahead of me, then go.  Really, what is 1 minute in 15 hours of racing?

2) go far right and angle in to the buoys.  Try to be on the outside of the fray.  

The run is going to be brutal, I know that for sure.  You did Placid 2x right?

Speaking of brutal, that 2nd loop of the bike isn't going to be a picnic - especially near whiteface!

29 days.

FREAKING OUT! 

2011-06-25 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3565390

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Hey Jessica,

Congrat's on your recent race (you were a "rockstar")!!

Regarding advise about improving run times..... I'm not a great runner by any means so take what I say with a grain of salt but here are simple concepts that helped me improve my running endurance and pace.  They have nothing to do with intervals, fartleks, tempo runs, running plans, etc...  Simple concepts but hard to do.

1) The 1st suggestion is not specific for you but for most AGer's it's important to get the weight off.  For me this was the "biggest" issue (pardon the pun).  I still struggle with getting that last 10 pounds off but it made a huge difference in my run performance when I dropped weight.

2) Run more often.  Might sound silly but it really works for me.  During the XMAS holidays we were out of town for an extended period of time and all I could do was run.  So that is what I did.  Run.  Everyday.  Not fast, not hard, not particularily long everyday.  Just good aerobic runs.  My run fitness and pace improved a great deal.  Swim and bike suffered a bit but run got better.  In fact, I'm struggling now to get my run fitness back to the level it was at the beginning of the year.  Some people do challenges like 30 runs in 30 days.

3) Patience.  It takes a long time to develop your run potential.  I've been told that it will take 10 years for me to develop my run (probably not what you wanted to hear).  Perhaps Steve could chime in here.....  But, our leader is an exceptional runner.  He is out there on the "pointy edge"  (ie... the really fast guys).  I could be wrong Steve but I think you have be doing tri's for a good 10 years and prior to starting triathlons I believe you mentioned that you had a running background.  It takes time so don't get frustrated and stick with it.

Trichic21 - 2011-06-24 9:50 AM  

It sounds like everyone is doing lots of racing and having lots of fun.  I just got back from my sprint race in St. George, UT.  It was a really pretty course, and a great little tri.  It was my first open water swim.  It went pretty well, the water was pretty warm, 64 degrees, and much to my delight I did not come out of the water dizzy and staggering to my bike.  The bike course was generally downhill with only a few climbs, LOVED it!  I felt like a rock star on the bike, was 10th overall for women after T2, then I did my typical slug run.  I still improved my run time by almost 4 minutes (that just tells you how slow I run the third leg).  However it was still disappointing because four women in my age group passed me the last half of the run.  My husband, who was unable to participate in the race due to recent knee surgery, in now on a mission to improve my run time.  He is a pretty good 5k runner and is now planning my run training.  Yikes, I'm a little scared... but it's nice to know he cares!   He thinks I should be running at least 4 times a week with one day being distance, one sprint day (i.e. 400's) and two middle-ish distance days (1/2 miles).  I am open to any suggestions that you all might have to improve 5k times.  This season I am not doing anything longer than sprints, my goal is to get faster and be competitive at that distance before I go longer. 

Good luck to everyone,

Jessica

2011-06-25 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3556952

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Belated response to your post but thanks Denise.  I took Steve's advise and had my kids get me a race entry for Father Day.  Great gift idea (much better than a new shirt)!!!

LadyNorth - 2011-06-19 9:24 PM

Fathers,

Happy Fathers Day

2011-06-25 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3559043

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Wow Veronica.  That is nuts but looks like so much fun.

AKtri - 2011-06-20 9:58 PM

Okay, I know everyone is right in the middle of their triathlons, but I wanted to share something I came across. It is a video of the upcoming mountain run/race that I will participate in on July 4.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITusd14x4S0&NR=1 It is very well done and gets me excited and motivated instead of overwhelmed with my immediate "race" committments.

And I am still triathlon training too. This last weekend I participated in a marathon relay on Saturday. And a Mountain run/race on Sunday. Next is this Mt. Marathon in Seward AK and then the Sourdough Half Ironman in Fairbanks AK. Then I get to rest 2 weeks on vacation. Until then it's going to be a busy couple of weeks deciding if I need to train on a mountain or ride a couple hours on the bike or swim in a cold lake or build my run distance.  Okay, I better get out the door and train!

Have fun tri'ing!

Ugh! That youtube is addicting! I found another video of just the womens race, a different year, when it was really warm. This one is good but it somewhat makes me rethink some of the climb. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8eOghLQw8Y&NR=1 If you have time to check it out. You may even be inclined to sign up for the lottery! That's the only way to get into it for next year.

2011-06-25 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3559553

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Enjoy your vacation Lisa.

lufferly - 2011-06-21 9:34 AM

Hey ALL, I am out of here for the next two weeks on vacation. Can't wait to leave this sweltering heat for cooler climes! Besides the heat, we've had 1/2" of rain in the last 150 days with a wildfire requiring evacuation of 200 homes about 3 to 4 miles from us.

CANON, good luck on your first triathlon. SANDRA, I think your next race with the open water swim might be while I'm gone, so good luck to you. VERONICA, Mt. Marathon looks crazy ... I'd have to join that turtle group of women and be one of the ones sliding down on my butt! ... have fun!

Good luck to whoever else might be racing over the next couple and enjoy your training!

LISA

2011-06-25 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3560821

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Hey Mandy.  Make sure you let us know you bib number for IMLP.  Love to see you run across the finish line on Ironman live.

manfarr1974 - 2011-06-21 5:08 PM

Hello everyone!!

I am sorry to be a no-show for so long!  

I went to Lake Placid this weekend.  That place is like...wonderland!! People swim, biking, running everywhere! 

I swam the course on Thur and again on Fri - the Buoys were not set for the race, so the loop was 1.7 miles.   Like that line, not that I will get to see it with 2700 others trying to see it too. 

On Sat I biked 2 loops of the course + rode to and from the place I stayed so it was 115 miles for that day + a 2 mile run after.  Went well.  The second loop was kind of harder heading up the hills after Wilmington.  I think I have my fueling figured out though, and my legs felt pretty good for the run.

Before I left on Sun, I ran the run course - um, that is kind of brutal.  Looking forward to it.

Hope all is going well for everyone, I need to do some reading and catch up.

Mandy

2011-06-25 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3564341

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Veronica,

I bet you got a run down Mt. Marathon lined up for Lisa!!! 

AKtri - 2011-06-23 4:02 PM Lisa - Not sure if you will log in while on your trip but hope so! I left you a PM with some Anchorage detail and my phone number. Please give me a call when you get here. Have a great trip!

2011-06-25 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3566560

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

No, but I was working on it.  Thank goodness we were there for only 3 days.

stevebradley - 2011-06-24 9:51 PM JEFF - Dorm food, eh? Did you manage to put on the infamous "freshmen fifteen" in just three days, maybe? Yikes!!

2011-06-25 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3566953

User image

Champion

MANDY -

No, I only did IMLP once, in '04.....although at times on the run it seemed as if IT did ME 2x!

Either swim strategy will work, but if you are willing to wait a minute, then start on the inside. I wish I could remember the specifics of my swim, but I really think it was starting about 30-50 feet back, and getting into the fray for about 2-3 minutes, and then it was just garden-variety jostling. You're right about an extra minute or two or three over the course of 140.6 miles not really being much, and that definitely pertains on the swim.

Another piece of advice is to stay well within yourself at the start of the run. That is especially hard to do at LP as the course begins with that whopping downhill (the reverse of what hurts so much at about miles 11 and 24), and as with most IMs, people are just so damn happy to be off the bike that they are willing to try to hammer the run immediately.

So, start slow, and really concentrate on keeping your stride small -- that long downhill can really tempt a stride to lengthen, and those muscles "fresh" from 112 miles of biking do notnotNOT want to overstride at all.

At the bottom of that long run descent there is a bit of flat and then a quick little climb, which I think is a good time to give your first run-push. Dig into that, test the waters of your running legs, and if all is well you will be kindd of propelled onto the mostly-flat sections of the next few miles.

As for the second loop of the bike...you might be surprised by it. I felt I ttackled the three bears quite well second time around, and my final kick before that hellish hard right onto Northwoods Road was quite strong. At that point there is a lot of anticipation at the bike's finish being less than ten minutes away, so that will help you.

Is the bike course back to its original, or is it following the altered course from last year? If the latter, then that is good for you. I will check that later.

The wild card on the bike is the stretch after the turn from Jay, when the winds can be nasty on those sneaky long and gradual climbs. My training rides there were awful in that regard, but on race day it wasn't too bad. Windier than I would've liked, but tolerable....mostly.

Half way up the long climb from Wilmington, in a big roadside pull-off were three women from The Finish Kick, a tri store in Virginia Beach. The store's moto is "ROCK ON!", and the women were sporting that as they mooned us as we passed -- one had the R and O, the second had the C and K, the third had the O and N (can't remember if she also had a discrete ! there , too). Mybe the second loop seemed better becasue I had them to look forward to....but when I got there they had departed (or been arrested). That left me with just visions and fanatsies to spirit me the final 6-8 miles............

2011-06-27 12:36 AM

User image

Concord

Golden Gate Triathlon 2011 Sprint Distance Race Report.

Swim        20:26          Rank 3

T1            5:43            Rank 12

Ride         1:04:55       Rank 10

Run         31:57           Rank 7

Overall (M35 and over)  14/31

Division M35-39  7/11

Swim – Felt good.  I was a little tired coming out of the water, but not much.  I actually could have been faster.  I had sighting issues and ended up making two legs of the swim longer than they should have.  I’m sure I lost about 3+ minutes there.  I think my tiredness came from pushing to correct for my sighting issues.

T1 – I have no idea what the heck happened there.  I do, but it didn’t feel like 5 minutes.  Quite honestly, this is down right embarrassing.  I think I knew the bike was going to be a beast and wanted to be prepared for it and in doing so, took to much time (Gel, clean socked feet, etc).  Even still – I gotta cut 2 min of that time next time.  Lesson:  test time the transition and getting out of the wet suit and cut out everything that is not necessary (duh – can you tell I’m not happy about this).

Ride – It was what I knew it was going to be.  3 laps about 500 feet of elevation change twice per lap going up and over a hill.  Having a 25+ year old bike really hurt.  I have the old 126 mm rear end and not enough gears to make climbing easy or efficient.  I also may not have been hydrated enough as I started to cramp on lap 2 and worried about that the rest of the ride.  Lesson: I just have to ride more to get faster because a new bike is not in my immediate future.

Note: there were two transition areas, one for T1 and another for T2.  Strangely, there is no time for T2…

Run – It took me about 1 – 1.5 miles to be able to run with any pace.  The beginning of the run is all up hill – with even a set of stairs.  My back was killing me and I had to walk for a bit of it.  I think this was a core and hydration issue.  Once that passed, I was running at decent clip.  Running on the Golden Gate Bride was nice.  Once I hit the turn around (half way) I was moving pretty good.  One guy passed me and then I managed to pass him back and keep him behind me the rest of the way.  He ended up 4 sec behind me.  Lesson: work on core strength and stay more hydrated before the race.

Overall, this was a well run race on the part of trifreaks.  If anyone is looking for a good (and hard) triathlon in the bay area – consider this one.  Just be sure to study the elevation changes and prepare for them.  I think they are getting better at putting this on every year and this year didn’t seem to have the problems that prior years had (getting the ebb and flow in the bay wrong, having only 1 transition area so you had to run ¾ of a mile to T1, etc.)  Personally, I have mixed emotions about my performance.  I’m glad I finished, and it went pretty much as I expected (minus the T1, cramping and slow performance at the start of the run).  I knew the bike was going to be a beast and it was.  I knew I would be near the front of the pack coming out of the water and there was little I could do to keep that position on the ride.  Honestly, I was hoping to be at or under 1 hour for the ride and just at or under 2 hours for the total pace.  The most annoying thing is that I know where I left it on the track and I own all of that.  The up side is new bike or not, I’ll be back next year and when I look at the times of the people who will be in my division next year – I’m aiming for (and believe I can reach) the top of the chart!

Lastly, I'm really glad my family was there to support me.  It was cool seeing my wife and kids before the swim, on the bike and looking for them at the end of the run.  Getting up at o'dark thirty wasn't fun for them but they did it for me and I'm glad they did.

Now, on to my next sprint in September (where I can prepare a really efficient T1) in Pleasanton, Ca (and where there should be a lot less hills than SF).

Canon

Edited by CTYoung 2011-06-27 12:39 AM
2011-06-27 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3568458

New user
Swansea, IL
Well done!  I've yet to compete in a single tri where "something" didn't go as I had hoped.  Keep up the good work and look to improve each time.
2011-06-27 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

Just a quick check in on the public computer in the lobby. We are having a great time in the Yukon. Rented bikes yesterday and one in our party through a chain and ended up with 10 stitches. Luckily, someone gave him a ride back into town and to the hospital. Perfect weather. I'll have to check up on the posts and races later.

LISA (in Whitehorse enroute today to Beaver Creek through Haines)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57