BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-07-07 1:35 PM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED

Originally posted by NMS Well done!! Sounds like you had a great time, apart from the bits that hurt of course! It's a bit like childbirth though as soon as it is over you forget the pain and start planning the next one haha!

It's exactly like that! Somehow you convince yourself the pain is worth itLaughing

2013-07-07 7:10 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

Well, I made it! And running a half marathon has really given me an appreciation of the effort in a full marathon and also ironmans. Todd, I take my hat off to you, aiming to run that distance after already completing the swim and bike legs!

I really enjoyed the race (well, to be honest, the first 40 minutes and the last 15 seconds. The rest was pretty tough). Around 11,000 people lined up, and the sea of bobbing heads stretched out in front of me as we started was a sight to behold. I pretty well stuck to the race plan, went out steady and stayed steady, walked occaisonally through the water stations but the rest was my usual slow jog.

At the half way mark I started to push it out just a little, still felt OK. At 16km I thought right, just 5k to go, and pushed the pace a bit further to get my HR up to zone 4. I passed a lot of the people who had passed me earlier in the race but that 5km just kept getting harder and hurting more. I swear each kilometer was longer than the one before it, and the last one was a killer. My legs were burning, my feet hurt with each step. The crowds in that last km were amazing though, shouting encouragement, cheering and clapping. I think they really pull it out for us last finishers!

Once I rounded the last corner and could see the finish I managed to find some speed and sprinted for the line, I think I passed 20 or 30 people in that last 100 metres. I was really happy with my time, 2:40:37, and Todd you were right, I really surprised myself.

I've been flopping around at home for the rest of the day, drinking Gatorade and eating everything I can find in the cupboard. Looking forward to a nice glass of wine and an early night.

Attatched is a photo from after the race-I'm the exhausted looking one on the right.

Congratulations Half Marathoner. Great race and great report. You earned your finish and worked hard to accomplish this goal, which should make it that much more enjoyable. Let me add that I wish I could smile and look as good as you after a race and being Exhausted Looking Again Congrats, enjoy the accomplishment and that glass of wine, you earned it.
2013-07-07 9:00 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Looks.like everyone is doing good! Congratulations on the achievements! After an 8 hr trip home yesterday turned into a 13hr trip we had a lot of unpacking, laundry, lawnmowing etc to get caught up on. Tomorrow marks 19 days until my race =-O I am going to train hard and train smart for the next 15 or so days and ease up the few days before. I am going.ro push myself as hard as I can safely without the risk of injury.
2013-07-07 9:20 PM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

I bought some new shoes that i am pretty excited to try out. They should be on my doorstep on wed or thur. Made specifically for triathlon and wearing.sockless. I've read lots of great reviews on them. http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/home_...
2013-07-07 10:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

Well, I made it! And running a half marathon has really given me an appreciation of the effort in a full marathon and also ironmans. Todd, I take my hat off to you, aiming to run that distance after already completing the swim and bike legs!

I really enjoyed the race (well, to be honest, the first 40 minutes and the last 15 seconds. The rest was pretty tough). Around 11,000 people lined up, and the sea of bobbing heads stretched out in front of me as we started was a sight to behold. I pretty well stuck to the race plan, went out steady and stayed steady, walked occaisonally through the water stations but the rest was my usual slow jog.

At the half way mark I started to push it out just a little, still felt OK. At 16km I thought right, just 5k to go, and pushed the pace a bit further to get my HR up to zone 4. I passed a lot of the people who had passed me earlier in the race but that 5km just kept getting harder and hurting more. I swear each kilometer was longer than the one before it, and the last one was a killer. My legs were burning, my feet hurt with each step. The crowds in that last km were amazing though, shouting encouragement, cheering and clapping. I think they really pull it out for us last finishers!

Once I rounded the last corner and could see the finish I managed to find some speed and sprinted for the line, I think I passed 20 or 30 people in that last 100 metres. I was really happy with my time, 2:40:37, and Todd you were right, I really surprised myself.

I've been flopping around at home for the rest of the day, drinking Gatorade and eating everything I can find in the cupboard. Looking forward to a nice glass of wine and an early night.

Attatched is a photo from after the race-I'm the exhausted looking one on the right.

Congrats!!!!! You have every right to eat and enjoy that glass of wine. Sounds like you had a great time even with the foot pain. And yes its like child labor, once its over you forget about the pain and only remember the good times. Again, congratulations!!!!!!
2013-07-07 10:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by corbetjackson50

I bought some new shoes that i am pretty excited to try out. They should be on my doorstep on wed or thur. Made specifically for triathlon and wearing.sockless. I've read lots of great reviews on them. http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/home_...

I love getting new shoes too, their so comfy and full of sping and cushioning. I'm sure your enjoy your new gear and have many miles of enjoyment ahead of you.

2013-07-08 5:51 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Happy Monday! Im feeling great! I managed to squeeze in a 45 min bike followed by a 15 min run brick. Now off to start my new job.
2013-07-08 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
@Taringa – congrats on your half marathon. Great accomplishment.

@corbetjackson – I love getting new shoes too. Enjoy the new gear.

Happy Monday everyone. Our boot camps run in 8 week cycles. I started the last one in week 7 which they do a mid and a long run in prep for the 5k race they do at the end of the 8 week session. I did the 5k last Friday. It was good but tiring especially since I ran 3.7 miles and did another boot camp the day before.
Today we started over at week 1 and I got my hubby and son to join me. Yeah! The family is back together working out. The other boot camp has a lot of calisthenics and a little running. This one has the opposite, more running. I prefer more calisthenics BUT my son is going into high school and has very little to no running endurance. He wants to tryout for basketball and lacrosse which requires more running in high school than he can do. So for that reason, I chose this bootcamp because they like to run.

I seem to always be tired! Morning, noon and night, I am tired. Part is due to insufficient sleep and partly due to my morning workouts.
This is what my current schedule looks like:

Mon – 6am bootcamp / 6:30pm beginners run group/ 8pm masters swim
Tues – 6am run group (about 3 miles) They’re worried I am going to drop this run esp since I schedule the time, locationa & routes.
Wed – 6am bootcamp
Thur – 6am run group (about 3 miles)
Fri – 6am bootcamp
Sat – OFF
Sun - 6am run group (about 4 miles)

The beg run group was a commitment I made for my son before trying out the boot camp. It is 8 weeks and builds slowly from run1.5 min/walking 1.5 min to running 30 minutes straight. A parent has to be present so that’s why I am doing it. I run with my group nonstop so I tried getting hubby to do it since he is a beg runner but he opted to take my other son to lacrosse instead. Darn!

Any advice?
2013-07-08 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Looks.like everyone is doing good! Congratulations on the achievements! After an 8 hr trip home yesterday turned into a 13hr trip we had a lot of unpacking, laundry, lawnmowing etc to get caught up on. Tomorrow marks 19 days until my race =-O I am going to train hard and train smart for the next 15 or so days and ease up the few days before. I am going.ro push myself as hard as I can safely without the risk of injury.

Corbet, glad that you are back and seem to have refocused on the task at hand. You are looking at it in the right light. Do what you safely can between now and then and the rest will work out. Also, I really like those shoes, but let me say something you already know, they can be worn with socks. I'm not saying that only as a joke but because a lot of people get into this and think they have to go barefoot and you don't. If it feels good to you then do it, but if it doesn't, it takes about 10 seconds to put on socks. I probably would not have minded running without socks but cycling was a big no go for me, so I put them on and leave them on.
2013-07-08 9:13 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

@Taringa – congrats on your half marathon. Great accomplishment.

@corbetjackson – I love getting new shoes too. Enjoy the new gear.

Happy Monday everyone. Our boot camps run in 8 week cycles. I started the last one in week 7 which they do a mid and a long run in prep for the 5k race they do at the end of the 8 week session. I did the 5k last Friday. It was good but tiring especially since I ran 3.7 miles and did another boot camp the day before.
Today we started over at week 1 and I got my hubby and son to join me. Yeah! The family is back together working out. The other boot camp has a lot of calisthenics and a little running. This one has the opposite, more running. I prefer more calisthenics BUT my son is going into high school and has very little to no running endurance. He wants to tryout for basketball and lacrosse which requires more running in high school than he can do. So for that reason, I chose this bootcamp because they like to run.

I seem to always be tired! Morning, noon and night, I am tired. Part is due to insufficient sleep and partly due to my morning workouts.
This is what my current schedule looks like:

Mon – 6am bootcamp / 6:30pm beginners run group/ 8pm masters swim
Tues – 6am run group (about 3 miles) They’re worried I am going to drop this run esp since I schedule the time, locationa & routes.
Wed – 6am bootcamp
Thur – 6am run group (about 3 miles)
Fri – 6am bootcamp
Sat – OFF
Sun - 6am run group (about 4 miles)

The beg run group was a commitment I made for my son before trying out the boot camp. It is 8 weeks and builds slowly from run1.5 min/walking 1.5 min to running 30 minutes straight. A parent has to be present so that’s why I am doing it. I run with my group nonstop so I tried getting hubby to do it since he is a beg runner but he opted to take my other son to lacrosse instead. Darn!

Any advice?

Yes, don't hurt yourself Seriously though, I think you with your recent history of minor problems after running that at least one of them is going to have to be turned into a walk. I would say to pick one to truly run at and walk at the other, or switch back and forth between the two with walks so as to get more out of both, while being fair (so to say) to both. I have no idea if this was what you were looking for but I gave it a shot.
2013-07-08 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just to let everyone know. I have sent Mike another PM to check on him as he has not been active for weeks now after not being active for a while and responding once. I sent him a message over a week ago with no response and sent him another tonight. I told him tonight that it would be the last message or inspire I would send until I / we heard from him again, which I hope we do. I made sure that he understood that he was always welcome regardless of how long he is away for and I hope that he will be back. Issac has also been gone for a while and I will be starting a search party for him.

2013-07-09 1:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Corbet, glad that you are back and seem to have refocused on the task at hand. You are looking at it in the right light. Do what you safely can between now and then and the rest will work out. Also, I really like those shoes, but let me say something you already know, they can be worn with socks. I'm not saying that only as a joke but because a lot of people get into this and think they have to go barefoot and you don't. If it feels good to you then do it, but if it doesn't, it takes about 10 seconds to put on socks. I probably would not have minded running without socks but cycling was a big no go for me, so I put them on and leave them on.

Agreed with Todd. I always wear socks even though my cycling shoes are recomended for going sockless. Personally I'm more comfortable with my socks on and I would rather spend 10 seconds putting them on than being uncomfortable during my ride and run. But like Todd stated, it all about personal choice.

Beth
2013-07-09 6:40 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Corbet, how did the first day at the new job go? Sounds like you had a great lead up with new shoes and a solid morning brick workout. 

Lovey, it certainly sounds like a lot of running! Listen to your body and just do what feels best.

And Beth, your speed workout sounds awsome. 7 minute miles! That's 4:21 per km! That must have felt amazingLaughing

2013-07-09 10:50 AM

User image

The new job is going good. Im taking baby steps in training for the job right now.
I am pretty excited for this weekend. The tri i am doing on the 27th has a practice bike/run on Sat geared towards newbies. We will ride and run the actual course.
2013-07-09 9:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-07-10 5:22 AM

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by corbetjackson50 The new job is going good. Im taking baby steps in training for the job right now. I am pretty excited for this weekend. The tri i am doing on the 27th has a practice bike/run on Sat geared towards newbies. We will ride and run the actual course.

That's a great opportunity. Getting a turn around the course will be fantastic, a real confidence builder and reality check rolled into one. Definately worth doing.

2013-07-10 8:19 AM

Extreme Veteran

The new job is going good. Im taking baby steps in training for the job right now.
I am pretty excited for this weekend. The tri i am doing on the 27th has a practice bike/run on Sat geared towards newbies. We will ride and run the actual course.

That will be great Prep work. Take it nice and easy because it is a practice day not a race. The other plus to taking it easy is that you know your time will be better on race day
2013-07-10 8:27 AM

, Alabama

Good to hear the new job is going well. That is a great opportunity being able to ride and run the actual course, it will be a real advantage on race day to know where the hills, corners etc are to allow you to plan ahead. Good luck for the race!

2013-07-10 9:07 PM

I drove the.bike course today..... Holly cow the hills are going to be brutal. Check out the elevation chart http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/20568782/
2013-07-11 7:53 AM

Extreme Veteran
Corbet, I can view the route, but you already know that no matters what it shows, you just take it one hill at a time. Make sure to enjoy the training with other like minded people.
2013-07-11 11:03 AM
in reply to: 0

, Alabama

I drove the.bike course today..... Holly cow the hills are going to be brutal. Check out the elevation chart http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/20568782/

BUT you now know that and are prepared for them, you can pace yourself accordingly. Also you are gonna feel really good about yourself when you complete the race, knowing it was a challenging one. Good luck! Go kick some butt out there!

Edited by NMS 2013-07-11 11:04 AM

2013-07-11 11:44 AM

Thanks guys! I am looking forward to the practice run on Sat
2013-07-11 3:16 PM

Veteran
Hello everyone! Well it's been a rollercoaster of a time here. A few days ago my kid flipped backwards off some metal bars landing on concrete and striking his head. After being evaluated at our local emergency room (yes the one I work at) it was determined that he had a bad concussion. But his symptoms where so bad the doc didn't feel comfortable admitting him. So that meant a transport to the children's hospital 100 miles away in a special ambulance for further neuro consultation. They said the same thing g but just to make sure he spent the night in the hospital. We are home now but he still has signs of not being well. In fact he played for 60 minutes today and it completely wiped him out. He's sleeping in my lap now. So I really haven't been training and I have a race on Sunday. This will be interesting.

Beth
2013-07-11 5:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hubbie

Hello everyone! Well it's been a rollercoaster of a time here. A few days ago my kid flipped backwards off some metal bars landing on concrete and striking his head. After being evaluated at our local emergency room (yes the one I work at) it was determined that he had a bad concussion. But his symptoms where so bad the doc didn't feel comfortable admitting him. So that meant a transport to the children's hospital 100 miles away in a special ambulance for further neuro consultation. They said the same thing g but just to make sure he spent the night in the hospital. We are home now but he still has signs of not being well. In fact he played for 60 minutes today and it completely wiped him out. He's sleeping in my lap now. So I really haven't been training and I have a race on Sunday. This will be interesting.

Beth

That poor kid has been through the ringers this summer. Get him better! You know how to race and that there will be others if you don't get to. Although I know that you don't want this one to go by after not getting to do the last.
2013-07-11 9:30 PM
in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran
Well Turtles, I gave Lucille a bit of a face lift. I said when I bought her that I would run the cheap tires it had on it up until my half if they would make it. I said the same about the bar tape it had on it. Well here she is almost 1000 miles later with some new Michelin Pro 4 Tires, Lizard Skin Tape, a full tune-up and brand new Ultegra Chain because the other was stretched.

I figured with the pace I move at the bike better look good and be a bit flashy because people are going to have a while to look at it while this turtle slowly goes by.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-07-11 9:36 PM

(IMG_0335.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0335.JPG (70KB - 22 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45