BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-08-13 7:27 PM
in reply to: #801094

User image

New user
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - FULL
Okay, I hope you are all down for my race report via forum. It was pretty uneventful, so no use filling out the whole form.

Warm up: 10 minute bike, 200 yard swim.

Swim (Approx 450)- 6:41 AG 8th: Went off in a group of 4, my friend Adam, GF's friend Carly, and some lady. I think I was swimming before they were even touching the water. 4 off every 10 seconds. Some people were definitely fibbing their approx. swim times because I passed the two groups that went off in front of me and some third and forth including a back stroker. A sub 7 minute backstroker my butt.

T1 (Long Run to Transition)- 2:04 AG 3rd: Ran pretty hard up to transition. Omitted many time consuming activities. Shoes now on the bike, no sunglasses, threw inhaler in spandex shorts. The method paid off.

Bike (20 K)- 36:42 AG 4th: Was on a Cervelo Dual, which aided a bunch. Just kept reminding myself to keep my pedal stroke circular. I think the course was longer than 20k, because everyone's avgs seem to be real slow. Mine for instance was 20.5, yikes? One 37 year old passed me early then no one after that. I dislike the two lap course and dealing with the inexperienced riders, but also fun to fan a few people. I passed some of my rack mates and got some "Go get 'em 281's" Best rack mates I've ever had.

T2 (Much shorter)- 1:10 20th: Out of shoes leg over dismount. I think its about time to invest in some Yanks. I've been a shoe tier forever, bout time to lose some precious seconds.

Run (5 K)- 21:07 AG 10th: Usually my strong suit, but couldn't feel the grove until the second mile. Definitely didn't allow me to push it later in the run. Had my run been on par, I would have taken home the gold. It just wasn't meant to be this time.

As the girlfriend said after the race: "Looks like you'll be running faster next time."

http://www.pem-usa.com/racedata/naperville07/naper0749under.html

Edited by Miler 2007-08-13 7:28 PM

2007-08-14 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Well, Matt, if a guy ever said something snotty (whether he were kidding or not) I'd deck him and go get one that would be truly supportive (not that I would advocate you doing either of those things, but I hope you get my point). I'm just not at a stage in my life where I will take one milliseconds worth of crap from anyone! You shaved time off your transitions, you are kicking it on the swim, even if you deny being an excellent swimmer, averaging over 20 mph on any course is fantastic, and pleeaasse--you are training ironman hours. What in the heck do you expect on a sprint when you gave it everything on the swim and bike? My muscles are tired after 3 little runs now. I hadn't been able to for so long that every muscle fiber is now complaining loudly. Running a lot leaves you feeling rather worn out and sore and your muscles just won't perform well on a sprint then. I'm sure you didn't taper for this....but then you won't log on here, so I can't snoop!

Remember to praise yourself from time to time! Your body will respond to positives much better than negatives. If you constantly berate it, it will rebel! And if you truly love yourself, you will always be surrounded by folks that respond to your great self-image and give you all the love you can handle! If you have low self esteem, you will attract a mate who makes you miserable--trust me on this, I spent 14 years with one and it was all because I didn't believe I deserved better!!

Congratulations Matthew! I for one am amazed at how far you have come in such little time. Soon you will be an Ironman--one of the Superhumans--and that is truly something to be proud of
2007-08-15 11:13 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

Who's racing this weekend?

I know David is doing Timberman.  Good luck to him in the race and also his travels.  Hope it goes better than last time.

2007-08-15 11:35 AM
in reply to: #926733

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
kproudfoot - 2007-08-15 11:13 AM

Who's racing this weekend?

I know David is doing Timberman. Good luck to him in the race and also his travels. Hope it goes better than last time.

Thanks, Ken.  I leave tomorrow AM for BOS, and we'll then drive 2 hrs north to Lake Winnipeasaukee. (Say that 3 times fast!).  The weather forecast looks awesome with highs in the 70s and lows maybe even in the 40s!  SOOO much different from the 100+ temps we've been seeing here in Dallas!  I'm going to have to find some of my winter clothes!

Sarah and I hope to do some nice sightseeing before and after the race.   The "Castle in the Clouds" is supposed to be really nice, and we'll definitely take this nice cruise around the lake.  We also hope to get a couple of nice short/easy hikes as the views of the lake with the surrounding mountains look amazing!

This trip is as much about the vacation as it is about the race.  I'm excited to get to see this region of New England as we've never been there before.   I'll be sure to write up a nice race report when I'm done, but I might not be able to post much until Tuesday, 8-21 when I get back.

Kevin, are you going to drive up to Timberman?  If so, PM me with your phone number and we can try to hook up.

Pene, is Noah still doing his first tri this Saturday?  How exciting!!

2007-08-15 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Good luck with Timberman! Sounds great. I think some day I'll put a tri in Bermuda or the Caribbean on the List!!

Yep, Noah has his first Tri. We leave Friday night after work for the 5 hour drive. His wetsuit should come today and he's been practicing. He has the backstroke down now and we'll see about the crawl once his legs don't sink (like mother like son--hence my flipper addiction!).

My hamstring hurts when I run faster. I'm back down to a very very slow jog with a bunch of walking. It is much weaker than my left leg. I realized this when biking--I have to start out pedalling on the left leg or it doesn't work. Most folks are naturally right legged. So that tells you how weak the right has gotten. I'm going to focus on walking fast now and just try to bring the mileage up with that. It will require more time and a lot of patience on my part. I'm also going to try to rehab the ham with more right legged exercises that don't stress it too much. I hope this is a valid strategy? I really am quite firmly resolved to do the Half Sept 23 in the Quad cities and the Full October 28 in Michigan. Even if it is 70% walking!
2007-08-17 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
David????  Did we make it to timberman or are we sitting on the tarmac somewhere???

2007-08-17 8:13 PM

Connecticut
Sorry Dave, not making the trip this year.......too many things going on at home, plus I don't think I am ready for that one just yet. My neighbor headed up there today. It's not too far from Connecticut. I have the Timberman and the Pat Griskus on my list for next year. This year is my introduction to the sport and I figured I should get a sprint in before I go do anything longer. Good luck this weekend!!!!!!Can't wait to hear the race report!
2007-08-19 6:33 PM
in reply to: #929280

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kproudfoot - 2007-08-17 9:43 AM David????  Did we make it to timberman or are we sitting on the tarmac somewhere???

Sorry, I haven't posted but the wireless access at our condo went out. 

Yes, I made it and had a good race.  I'll write up a nice race report later, but for now I'll just say it was really cool (~50s at the start) and pretty much ideal conditions overall despite a little wind.  This helped me set a PR by 27 minutes!  I went 5:20!  Good enough for 50/164 in my AG, and I found out later that this was well good enough for a Clearwater slot, but I didn't stay for the roll-down! (It rolled down all the way to 5:30+)  Arghh.  I might not have gone anyway as I'm already signed up for Longhorn and Clearwater is a month later and costs $295.   It's still pretty cool to think that I would have qualified! 

More later...

Results here.

David

2007-08-19 7:32 PM

Connecticut
Great job, 27 minutes off your pr is sick. I can't wait to read the race report when I have some time. I was just going to post that I did my first open water swim in my brand new wetsuit.....Look I can float!!!!! Unbelievable is all I can say. I went more than twice as far in the suit as I did before without. I found a quintana roo ultrajohn in my area. decent price, $210 but after feeling the effects, a very very very smart purchase. I am super excited for the race!!!!!!!
2007-08-19 9:30 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Great race David.  I hope I can run anywhere near your runs split at Praireman.   Really just hope to break 2hrs.  So how did your feed bottle workout?
2007-08-20 3:07 AM

Veteran
Well, it looks like my season is over.  I have a wierd bump on my lower leg and the docs are saying that it's a cavernous hemangioma.  Apparantly, in English that means a large collection of blood vessels that are pressing on a nerve in my leg and making it painful to walk; much less run.  I am meeting with the surgeons on Wednesday to set-up a date for surgery.  From what I can gather this is just some wierd thing that happened and didn't come about from training, just bad luck.  Maybe I'll have more info after the meeting on Wednesday.

Edited by Timo 2007-08-20 9:57 AM

2007-08-20 7:53 AM

Connecticut
Timo,
Good luck with the meeting with the doctors. Hopefully it won't keep you out long and you will have a full and quick recovery. Get well soon!
2007-08-20 8:22 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

Timo,

Sorry to hear that.  I was kind of wandering what was going on as you have not been logging any workouts.  Hope all goes well.

2007-08-20 10:49 AM

User image

Expert
Awesome race, Dave! How fantastic to shave that much time off! 5 hours is truly an accomplishment! You must be doing something right, eh? Maybe it's the potions?

Timo--Don't worry, you'll still do all the superman stuff! It will just have to wait a bit. I'm glad they are finding that it is benign and operable! You'll be back at it in no time.

Kevdia--glad your wetsuit is working so well! I think they make a big difference too.

We didn't make it to Noah's tri. I got 2 hours down the road and the feeling of dread just kept growing! It wasn't the driving really--I would have another 2 hours to go if we turned around or not. It was just this growing anxiety. So I stopped at a rest stop and we had a little talk. I expressed that I didn't think Noah was truly ready for the swim. He agreed and said he'd feel alot better indoors with the swim for his first tri--he can grab the sides or ropes or stand in the shallow end. As it turned out, we saved the $150 hotel fee by calling and canceling, it rained cats and dogs the whole next day (and still is)--we had leaks at home in two places and I was glad we were home to catch the drips vs. ruining the mattress and having a puddle on the wood floors. And my battery died this morning. It was weak anyway I think, and then we had the DVD players going for our trip. I think that sapped the last of the battery's energy. Would have sucked to be stuck out there where I don't have friends to come rescue me (and I let my AAA membership lapse.....). So, I guess it worked out for the best, and I am glad I listened to my intuition for once

I'm reassessing things. I can run a very slow 4 miles and my hamstring is holding up, but that is as much as I can do right now comfortably. So, I think I will pass on the half in September because that is coming up too fast. And I will shoot for a half in October. As far as signing up for an IM---well, that is looking more and more like a no. I think I need to master a full marathon first and that won't happen this fall. So, perhaps I will shoot for IMMOO 2009??
2007-08-22 1:10 PM

User image

Mesquite, Texas

Hey y'all. Sorry I have been out.  Things not working out so well, so not really motivated to post. I'm not going to be able to do Rockwall Tri this Saturday. Bike problems.  Just can't get this old thing ready....funds. My old bike is the reason they have safety checks. I will continue to train, and shoot for an October date with a tri, hopefully by then I'll be better equiped. Keep up the good work, sounds like a lot of hard work going on.....sorry to hear about the injuries.

2007-08-22 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
I'll write more soon, but wanted to let everyone know that my race report is up.

2007-08-23 1:00 PM
in reply to: #931557

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

Timo - 2007-08-20 3:07 AM Well, it looks like my season is over. I have a wierd bump on my lower leg and the docs are saying that it's a cavernous hemangioma. Apparantly, in English that means a large collection of blood vessels that are pressing on a nerve in my leg and making it painful to walk; much less run. I am meeting with the surgeons on Wednesday to set-up a date for surgery. From what I can gather this is just some wierd thing that happened and didn't come about from training, just bad luck. Maybe I'll have more info after the meeting on Wednesday.

Tim, I'm so sorry to hear about this.  I know you've put in a lot of hard work this season and were really looking forward to your HIM coming up.  I'm just really sorry.  2 questions?

1. How did it go meeting with the doctor's yesterday?
  2. Can you still swim?

2007-08-23 1:03 PM
in reply to: #931424

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kproudfoot - 2007-08-19 9:30 PM Great race David. I hope I can run anywhere near your runs split at Praireman. Really just hope to break 2hrs. So how did your feed bottle workout?

Thanks.  The feed bottle worked well, but I did definitely get hungry during the run.  For Longhorn, I'm probably going to try a Clif Bar or PBJ sandwich or something solid during the first half of the bike in hopes to keep the hunger at bay later in the race.  We'll see.

It wasn't intolerable, just annoying.  And as I said, I'd much rather be hungry than bloated.

2007-08-23 1:10 PM
in reply to: #932134

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-08-20 10:49 AM We didn't make it to Noah's tri. I got 2 hours down the road and the feeling of dread just kept growing! It wasn't the driving really--I would have another 2 hours to go if we turned around or not. It was just this growing anxiety. So I stopped at a rest stop and we had a little talk. I expressed that I didn't think Noah was truly ready for the swim. He agreed and said he'd feel alot better indoors with the swim for his first tri--he can grab the sides or ropes or stand in the shallow end. As it turned out, we saved the $150 hotel fee by calling and canceling, it rained cats and dogs the whole next day (and still is)--we had leaks at home in two places and I was glad we were home to catch the drips vs. ruining the mattress and having a puddle on the wood floors. And my battery died this morning. It was weak anyway I think, and then we had the DVD players going for our trip. I think that sapped the last of the battery's energy. Would have sucked to be stuck out there where I don't have friends to come rescue me (and I let my AAA membership lapse.....). So, I guess it worked out for the best, and I am glad I listened to my intuition for once

I'm glad everything worked out for the best.  Noah's soo young.  He'll have plenty of time for kids triathlons in the future.

I'm reassessing things. I can run a very slow 4 miles and my hamstring is holding up, but that is as much as I can do right now comfortably. So, I think I will pass on the half in September because that is coming up too fast. And I will shoot for a half in October. As far as signing up for an IM---well, that is looking more and more like a no. I think I need to master a full marathon first and that won't happen this fall. So, perhaps I will shoot for IMMOO 2009??

Pene, I think you have the right attitude about taking it one step at time.  There are a few people who make a big jump from near couch potato to IM, but they typically just survive it without enjoying the experience.  I'd much rather you take your time and work your way up to a marathon and IM while enjoying the journey.  Even if you end up only getting a half marathon this fall, and not the full, that's fine.   The main thing is to have fun while staying healthy and injury free.   

2007-08-23 1:15 PM
in reply to: #936197

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
armydad - 2007-08-22 1:10 PM

Hey y'all. Sorry I have been out. Things not working out so well, so not really motivated to post. I'm not going to be able to do Rockwall Tri this Saturday. Bike problems. Just can't get this old thing ready....funds. My old bike is the reason they have safety checks. I will continue to train, and shoot for an October date with a tri, hopefully by then I'll be better equiped. Keep up the good work, sounds like a lot of hard work going on.....sorry to hear about the injuries.

Sorry to hear about your bike.  Hopefully, you can get it equipped for a race in October.  This sprint race in Allen by Tri4Life could be a good option for you. 

2007-08-25 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
I've been snooping at IM people's logs and reading the weariness they write in there. They all have a breakdown or two with the highest intensity weeks. But they improve incrementally. It is really fun to watch!

So, Matt, how are you doing? I mean how are you REALLY doing?? Would you say the IM training is rewarding enough to recommend it? Or are you feeling like "ick, why in the world did I think this was a good idea"? Just doing an informal poll.......

2007-08-25 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
I'm gonna make you guys hungry....this is what the boys and I ate on the bike trails today: Noah had a chili dog and texas toothpicks ( fried green pepper sticks served in a fried tortilla bowl with lettuce, hot sauce and sour cream), Mose had vanilla ice cream and Nachos with jalapeno peppers, and I had green tea, a gyro, and sweet potato fries! Then Noah had a raspberry slushy for dessert and we helped him polish it off. We made 14 miles in all, and walked through the tunnels 3 miles. It was rather power building with Mose in tow. And 4 miles were a steady uphill climb that made me cranky!! Micah had a birthday party at chuck e. cheese so she didn't slow us down this time.

Off to mow my jungle lawn--with all the rain it is literally a bushy mess!
2007-08-28 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Heelllloooooo.......is anyone in here????

You guys all training up a storm and forgetting to brag about it?

Or are you all sitting in front of the Tube eating nothing but hot fudge sundaes and doritos and growing beer bellies????

I myself was depressed and not feeling good about my (lack) of training progress, thoroughly beating myself up for not being ready to sign up for IM 2008 (the will is there, the fitness and experience are not), and bemoaning my lack of male companionship (the pharmacist dude was a dork, and even too dorky for this dork to stomach--even though I felt REALLY bad about the no chemistry thing because he was great to talk to, but anything else---ewwww--why can't guys be fun to talk to AND kiss????). Then a patient came in and was miraculously better after one adjustment---he's a 3 year old who was urinating 5 times an hour after a fall--his sacrum was out and that affected his bladder, I found $60 I didn't know I had, and decided it isn't the END of the world if I have to wait til 2009. And now I feel a little less depressed. The run is going much better hamstring wise, so there is hope!

Talk to me, dudes!!!
2007-08-30 6:21 PM

User image

Expert
Okay, I promise I won't post anymore until someone else does.....

but I'm kinda excited today. I ran 7 miles last night and it went okay. My leg was sore this morning for a bit, but it is okay now. Still not fast, but I won't risk hurting the ham again. It was my longest run since June, I think.

And I swam a 2200 y OWS today in 1:13, which wasn't a race time at all for me. I was concentrating on form, doing at least 80% crawl and relaxing in the water. It was actually my longest swim, period.

I have a sitter for Sunday's century ride and bought a camelbak today. I'm excited about it, even though my bike miles weren't as high this month. I was concentrating on the run, and logged 40 miles so far this month. Not bad for old gimpy here

I emailed Daniella Nichols, who lives in LaCrosse and did her 3rd IM in Louisville, winning the Everyday Hero award for surviving 2 kinds of cancer (she has no thyroid now). She is a single mother of 2 boys and self employed as a personal trainer/coach. She has trained 4 Ironmen now and they all did their 2nd with her in Louisville. She is AVAILABLE to coach me!! Yeah!!

Special thanks to JBrashear's girlfriend, Karen (KSH) who has been extra specially kind and encouraging to me!! Best of luck to her next year in Louisville You have a keeper there, Jonny. Hold on to her for dear life!!

I'm going to go volunteer at IMMOO with the full intention of signing up for 2008 unless I hate what I see there and get cold feet. But I don't think fire birds like old Phoenix here get cold feet too easily

Trixie, super chick extraordinaire whose log I snoop at because she is the most overly confident woman I have ever come across, and she has a following that is truly amazing--is actually postponing IMMOO til 2009. Cold feet on super chick with super confidence. Interesting. (ha! she doesn't swim. I mean, not at all!) That makes my decision all the more sweet. (nope, no competitive schtuff in me. None at all......well, she weighs like 100 pounds dripping wet and actually has a six pack stomach! Can you blame me?????) I'll never beat her, except possibly at the swim but even that is doubtful, but it makes me feel better that even the super chicks are intimidated by IM distances!
2007-08-31 10:50 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

Pene,

Thought I would post so you don't have to not post (j/k).  I actually did a brick with David on Wednesday and mentioned noone was really posting anymore.

Good luck at your century and have fun volunteering.  Remember take the century easy.  Don't start off to fast no matter how you feel.  I head a quote from an ultramarathoner once that was basically "if you are feeling good, you will get over it" or something to that affect.  Remember to start off slower than you think and try and hold that pace 100 miles is a long way and even if you feel great at 50 miles you can't coast to the finish.

Definately make sure you are 100% about doing an IM.  You have a lot to handle being a single mother and an IM is a huge undertaking.  I am married with 1 kid and would love to do it but know it is not realistically possible.   You have a lot of time to do one when the kids are grown.  Good luck with what ever you decide.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36