of 150

2011-01-15 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3300905

User image

Regular
Toronto, ON
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
fowlmood - 2011-01-14 10:44 PM From pool to open water

I will be participating in my 1st Half Ironman in March I live in Colorado and I won't be able to do any open water swim until I get to Florida a few days before the race. How much difference between open water and pool and what should I expect.

So Far my plan is to stay towards the rear and on the far side of the buoy on the turns. Mainly because I am not sure how fast I am compared to others and don't want to get swam over.

I'm a former competitive swimmer and did 2 tri's last year and was completely unprepared for the difference between pool & open water.  For the first time in my whole life I completely panicked during the swim and the whole 375m was spent with my heart pounding, anxiety high and several bouts of breast stroke and flipping onto my back to try to calm down.  It was brutal, especially since I'd been expecting it to be where I was good!  My time wasn't horrendous but my mental state was.  So I took that lesson to heart and gave myself some things to focus on for the next tri.  For me the 3 things were:
1.  Stay as calm as possible.  There will be splash and banging around.  Expect it, be zen about it.
2.  Stretch long and focus on gliding in the water
3.   Breathe every 3 strokes, sight every other breath to keep a good rhythm

The biggest differences are all the people/splashing and the fact that the water is dark and the course isn't straight.  But after the start, it thins out a lot and if you're calm, you'll likely hit your stride then.  Practice sighting in a pool by swimming with your eyes closed.  Do a bunch of 25m sprints to simulate that excitement of the start.  You'll be great, most of it is a mental game and you're smart to think of it in advance.   

2011-01-15 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3052895

Expert
This is by far what I'm most worried about.   I have zero open water experience--tried swimming with my eyes closed and already noticed the immense difference, which is even more pronounced in open water.   I really don't live near any clean open water but am making it my goal to get some OW experience in soon.
2011-01-15 7:08 PM

User image

Regular
Toronto, ON
I suppose I didn't really add that my prep for the second race worked.  There was confusion at the start and I even got my goggles knocked off (which is a big deal since I wear contacts) but I just took a few seconds to get them back on properly and soldiered on.  By about 200m I was golden and really enjoyed the rest of the swim.  It was twice as long and about ten times more enjoyable than the first race.  Just didn't want to sound like the voice of doom.  

I should also add that after I registered for my HIM, I read more about the course and I've totally scored.  The swim is in the Olympic rowing basin (in Montreal) so it's somewhat pool-like at first glance, but apparently it has ropes along the bottom that stretch the length of it and are easily visible.  Which, to me, kind of sounds like lane lines in open water.  Woo hoo!

Edited to add:  JG, did you notice which way you swim with your eyes closed?  Apparently everyone has a tendency to veer either left or right so it's good to practice so you can correct for it in OW.  I veer left.

Edited by lamb_y2003 2011-01-15 7:11 PM
2011-01-15 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3301388

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
lamb_y2003 - 2011-01-15 10:21 AM
fowlmood - 2011-01-14 10:44 PM From pool to open water

I will be participating in my 1st Half Ironman in March I live in Colorado and I won't be able to do any open water swim until I get to Florida a few days before the race. How much difference between open water and pool and what should I expect.

So Far my plan is to stay towards the rear and on the far side of the buoy on the turns. Mainly because I am not sure how fast I am compared to others and don't want to get swam over.

I'm a former competitive swimmer and did 2 tri's last year and was completely unprepared for the difference between pool & open water.  For the first time in my whole life I completely panicked during the swim and the whole 375m was spent with my heart pounding, anxiety high and several bouts of breast stroke and flipping onto my back to try to calm down.  It was brutal, especially since I'd been expecting it to be where I was good!  My time wasn't horrendous but my mental state was.  So I took that lesson to heart and gave myself some things to focus on for the next tri.  For me the 3 things were:
1.  Stay as calm as possible.  There will be splash and banging around.  Expect it, be zen about it.
2.  Stretch long and focus on gliding in the water
3.   Breathe every 3 strokes, sight every other breath to keep a good rhythm

The biggest differences are all the people/splashing and the fact that the water is dark and the course isn't straight.  But after the start, it thins out a lot and if you're calm, you'll likely hit your stride then.  Practice sighting in a pool by swimming with your eyes closed.  Do a bunch of 25m sprints to simulate that excitement of the start.  You'll be great, most of it is a mental game and you're smart to think of it in advance.   

Thanks to both of the answers. where I live we don't really have indoor pools I did find one at the physical therapist but are only open during the weeks and only 4 days usable 20yds length. On Saturdays I drive 112miles round trip at 5am to swim this is a 25m pool. So trying to find a masters group is next to impossible. However the tri-sprints I have done have had a bout 12 swimmers at a time nothing like OW but kind of gives me an idea sound like it could be interesting.
2011-01-15 9:39 PM

User image

Regular
Alameda, CA
Well I have a pretty good exhausting day.

Did a 9 mile run and 2300m swim. Wasn't really supposed to run today, but it was such a nice day, how could I not go for a long run.

Ditto to what the others have said about the open water swimming. It is quite a different feeling and I was completely unprepared for it for my first two tris. When the weather gets warmer I plan on swimming solely in open water to try and get more used to the feeling.

One of my big weaknesses with the open water is sighting. Right now when I breathe I look back slightly, not forward. It will be quite different to try and look ahead for the sighting. Any recommendations on how to tackle this?
2011-01-16 4:18 PM

Expert
I had a monster week.  I'm really happy and quite proud of myself, though.  I am however a bit worried that I'm overtraining.  I have been following the training plan but replacing the runs in the plan with runs designed by my running coach with the plan in mind.  Aside from HIM, I have goals of getting faster running, doing a 1:45 Half mary in feb, and just making mileage for a marathon i want to do in the near term.  It is pretty much adding 3 hours to every week in training.  Take a look: 

This weeks focus was the swim--an it was a designed 7.5hr week.  Week 12, which is the first week of base 2.  Next week is the run so I should be closer to the actual time, maybe just an hour or two over this time.  Do you all think this is too much for that week, or HIM in general? 

2011-01-16 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3303044

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
JG_GreenCoast - 2011-01-16 4:18 PM I had a monster week.  I'm really happy and quite proud of myself, though.  I am however a bit worried that I'm overtraining.  I have been following the training plan but replacing the runs in the plan with runs designed by my running coach with the plan in mind.  Aside from HIM, I have goals of getting faster running, doing a 1:45 Half mary in feb, and just making mileage for a marathon i want to do in the near term.  It is pretty much adding 3 hours to every week in training.  Take a look: 

This weeks focus was the swim--an it was a designed 7.5hr week.  Week 12, which is the first week of base 2.  Next week is the run so I should be closer to the actual time, maybe just an hour or two over this time.  Do you all think this is too much for that week, or HIM in general? 

I think your running hours are too aggressive.  I've heard that your longest run should not exceed 30% of your total run hours.  I am also in the same position wherein I'm doing the beginner HIM plan in combination with a goal to improve my running.  I am currently doing 3x30min runs, 2x1hr run, and 1x1.5hr run which I spread out in 6 days of the week.  My current training hours for this week (week 12) was 8.5 and I did 10hrs 15mins.  4hrs and 48mins of that was running. 

I think most people would chime in that you should spread out your run hours and maybe run 6 days instead of 5 and make the long run shorter.  I myself have never done a run longer than 11miles but there is no question that I can finish a half mary in under 2 hrs (about 1:50 or a hair under).  Just my .02

Edited by arkmann 2011-01-16 4:50 PM
2011-01-16 7:22 PM

User image

Regular
Alameda, CA
JG_GreenCoast - 2011-01-16 2:18 PM I had a monster week.  I'm really happy and quite proud of myself, though.  I am however a bit worried that I'm overtraining.  I have been following the training plan but replacing the runs in the plan with runs designed by my running coach with the plan in mind.  Aside from HIM, I have goals of getting faster running, doing a 1:45 Half mary in feb, and just making mileage for a marathon i want to do in the near term.  It is pretty much adding 3 hours to every week in training.  Take a look: 

It's alot by my standards. But how do you feel? Are you overly tired or do your legs feel too sore? If you are feeling pretty good, I would say go ahead and carry on with your plan. That much training will get you into great conditioning for your HIM. If you are tired or unusually sore, I would back off a little bit and test some things out.

1) take back your running by 10-15%
or
2) scale back one of your other workouts to compensate for your run
or
3) take off a full run workout to give yourself another day off

I would definitely recommend atleast having a rest day. Your body needs to recover from all the training. If you feel great then do the same work but fit it into the 6 days instead of the 7. The rest day is a mandatory from my standpoint.
2011-01-16 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3303359

Expert
jaegee - 2011-01-16 7:22 PM
JG_GreenCoast - 2011-01-16 2:18 PM I had a monster week.  I'm really happy and quite proud of myself, though.  I am however a bit worried that I'm overtraining.  I have been following the training plan but replacing the runs in the plan with runs designed by my running coach with the plan in mind.  Aside from HIM, I have goals of getting faster running, doing a 1:45 Half mary in feb, and just making mileage for a marathon i want to do in the near term.  It is pretty much adding 3 hours to every week in training.  Take a look: 

It's alot by my standards. But how do you feel? Are you overly tired or do your legs feel too sore? If you are feeling pretty good, I would say go ahead and carry on with your plan. That much training will get you into great conditioning for your HIM. If you are tired or unusually sore, I would back off a little bit and test some things out.

1) take back your running by 10-15%
or
2) scale back one of your other workouts to compensate for your run
or
3) take off a full run workout to give yourself another day off

I would definitely recommend atleast having a rest day. Your body needs to recover from all the training. If you feel great then do the same work but fit it into the 6 days instead of the 7. The rest day is a mandatory from my standpoint.

Thanks guys.  Friday was supposed to be a rest day.  I just felt like I couldn't do nothing but definitely plan on taking rest days from here on out.  I think you're definitely right there.  

Today, I am pretty damn tired, but that is because this 14.3 is the longest i've ever run.  Mid-week, i've felt great.  I am just sore in the legs but will feel better tomorrow.  Ran 12.5 last Sunday but it was after an easier week.  When I was running shorter distances training with my brother--very high speed intervals at 7-730min/mi averages (edit- the intervals and restarts were way faster, this is what it averaged out to), i felt more exhausted than i do now. 

I'm going to talk to my running coach (also a tri coach but i just have him for running) and lay out my concerns.

Edited by JG_GreenCoast 2011-01-16 9:34 PM
2011-01-17 8:18 AM

User image

Regular
Toronto, ON
Ugh.  I'm in the mood for a run, I'm scheduled to run and it's -25 outside.  Just got back from dropping the kids at school and it's like the arctic out there.  I don't know whether this is a HTFU situation or a 'go upstairs and get on your elliptical' situation.  I'm leaning toward the latter.  Am I just being a wimp?
2011-01-17 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3303895

Expert
lamb_y2003 - 2011-01-17 8:18 AM Ugh.  I'm in the mood for a run, I'm scheduled to run and it's -25 outside.  Just got back from dropping the kids at school and it's like the arctic out there.  I don't know whether this is a HTFU situation or a 'go upstairs and get on your elliptical' situation.  I'm leaning toward the latter.  Am I just being a wimp?

That's wayyy too cold for me.  Do you have access to the dreadmill? 

2011-01-17 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
lamb_y2003 - 2011-01-17 7:18 AM Ugh.  I'm in the mood for a run, I'm scheduled to run and it's -25 outside.  Just got back from dropping the kids at school and it's like the arctic out there.  I don't know whether this is a HTFU situation or a 'go upstairs and get on your elliptical' situation.  I'm leaning toward the latter.  Am I just being a wimp?

-25 I wouldn't think you are a wimp. Doesn't take long to freeze at that temp especially if start to sweat.  I would go find a dreadmill as much as I despise feeling like a hamster.
2011-01-17 11:41 AM

User image

Regular
Alameda, CA
I sometimes call it quits when the temp is less than 40 degrees. I couldn't even imagine going out in -25. I'd be so bundled up with extra layers I would look like the Michelin man.

Elliptical or treadmill sounds a-ok in my book!
2011-01-17 3:00 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
JG_GreenCoast - 2011-01-16 4:18 PM I had a monster week.  I'm really happy and quite proud of myself, though.  I am however a bit worried that I'm overtraining.  I have been following the training plan but replacing the runs in the plan with runs designed by my running coach with the plan in mind.  Aside from HIM, I have goals of getting faster running, doing a 1:45 Half mary in feb, and just making mileage for a marathon i want to do in the near term.  It is pretty much adding 3 hours to every week in training.  Take a look: 

Well, it is a lot of running. BUT, you also have to trust your coach. That's very hard to do. The best thing you can do right now is talk to your coach and share your concerns with him. He needs to know how you are responding to the training and how you feel about it mentally.
Also, it might help to vocalize to him what exactly your goals are. It seems from your training that you want to be a fast runner and also do a triathlon. If that is true, then good. But if you want to be a triathlete and also a faster runner, then the running should not be such an overwhelming part of your training program RIGHT NOW while you are training for a HIM.
As far as rest days go, I was never a fan of them. I felt that I did better without one, so each week I would instead have a workout in the morning and then wait until the next evening for another workout. That gave me over 24 hours between workouts but not technically a day off. That was best for ME but many, many others really prefer to have that off day, which is absolutely fine.
Does that all make sense?
2011-01-17 3:04 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
lamb_y2003 - 2011-01-17 8:18 AM Ugh.  I'm in the mood for a run, I'm scheduled to run and it's -25 outside.  Just got back from dropping the kids at school and it's like the arctic out there.  I don't know whether this is a HTFU situation or a 'go upstairs and get on your elliptical' situation.  I'm leaning toward the latter.  Am I just being a wimp?

I don't think any of us can relate to the amount of HTFU it takes to run in that!! My suggestion: do something inside. Elliptical is fine, or kick your butt in a cardio/strength/bodyweight workout for 15 minutes:

50 jumping jacks
15 squat jumps
25 pushups
10 rows (or pull ups)
50 squats
50 lunges
25 situps
2011-01-17 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3304739

Expert
Jessica- This does all make sense.  I definitely trust the guy which is why I hate brining things up, but I know its in my best interest so I just do.  He felt that if I want to run on my rest day, i should go out.  He instructed that I run for no more than 30-45 mins and that I don't take my garmin--or if i do, that i put it in my pocket and pay no attention to it.  I really like that idea for rest, btw.  Thanks!

2011-01-17 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3304751

User image

Regular
Toronto, ON
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-01-17 3:04 PM

I don't think any of us can relate to the amount of HTFU it takes to run in that!! My suggestion: do something inside. Elliptical is fine, or kick your butt in a cardio/strength/bodyweight workout for 15 minutes:

50 jumping jacks
15 squat jumps
25 pushups
10 rows (or pull ups)
50 squats
50 lunges
25 situps

I made a snap decision and got up and ran for 40 minutes.  It was actually not too bad and I was happy to have sucked it up.  Until I had to go pick up my son from school (I walk, no car) and all my warm sweat turned to a sheet of ice.  FREE-ZING.     Now I'm off to the pool and Murphy's Law states that my hair being wet afterwards equals a long wait for the bus.  LOL.  I keep waiting for Canada to take over a tropical island so I can move to somewhere warm but it doesn't seem to happen.  Someday...
2011-01-17 5:41 PM

Expert
I feel really privileged.  Had 66deg F today with sun.  Hopefully life takes me somewhere warm next year...
2011-01-17 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
I'm no expert so I'll just say Way to F'ing go!

I read early in my tri career - 4 months ago :-) that we can train as much as our body can absorb. You're tired now. See how you feel tomorrow. Your body will tell you when it's too much.

I've been pushing the envelop a bit but still feel great; motivated, energy good, etc...

Again....congrats on the solid week!
2011-01-17 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3305344

Expert
DV 1 - 2011-01-17 8:11 PM I'm no expert so I'll just say Way to F'ing go!

I read early in my tri career - 4 months ago :-) that we can train as much as our body can absorb. You're tired now. See how you feel tomorrow. Your body will tell you when it's too much.

I've been pushing the envelop a bit but still feel great; motivated, energy good, etc...

Again....congrats on the solid week!

Thanks--I felt perfectly fine today.  Got a 75min bike ride in and a nice 1350yd swim too.  My calves felt fine.  A little soreness in my quads but everything from my knees was gone.  Training is cumulative, and resting is a big part of training.  I am a believer in active recovery and think I would feel way worse if I did nothing today.  I'm no expert either, but I feel like when I/we really get into trouble is when we lose our patience and rush things. I think there's a difference between that and pushing it a bit when you are still enjoying it.  For me, it's beautiful out and I am just enjoying it.  Happy training, thanks again!
2011-01-17 8:52 PM

New user

Cody
Started training seriously Jan. 1.   Trying to get ready for a half ironman in Boise in June.  I teach full time and have 4 kids 2 - 13 so time is an issue, but so far I feel good about my training.

2011-01-17 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3305418

Expert
MaggieKirkham - 2011-01-17 8:52 PM Started training seriously Jan. 1.   Trying to get ready for a half ironman in Boise in June.  I teach full time and have 4 kids 2 - 13 so time is an issue, but so far I feel good about my training.

Welcome! That's awesome  This is a good place for Half Ironman training questions and general chat.   
2011-01-17 10:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar

I have completed my 2nd transition yesterday. The workout consisted of a 45mile bike ride I did 46.12 with a 15min transition run I did it in 15:38 distance was 2.17miles moderate pace. I am a little worried about the pace which was 7:12min miles I really feel that is to fast especially after the ride. Once I got my legs into a rhythm which was about 200yds or so I just couldn't stop it was like they had their own mind.

So what do all of you do to slow down so you are not dogging it at the end of the run section.

2011-01-17 10:58 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
So I am kind of freaking out a little bit.  My half marathon went fine yesterday.  In fact, I beat my goal time by 1 second.  haha.  Cardio-wise I felt great.  However, the final 4 or 5 miles were tough on my hips and knees.  Anyway, once it was over my legs were done.  So now my confidence for the HIM is shattered.  I just don't know how I am possibly going to be able to run 13 miles after biking 56 miles.  How are we going to be able to do it?  Ugh!  I only have 11 weeks to go and my biking has been terrible lately.  I haven't even ridden over 30 miles in months.  Plus, the bike course for this race is supposed to be a beast.  Crap.  Is it too late to ramp up my bike miles? 
2011-01-17 11:17 PM
in reply to: #3305580

Expert
akrenik - 2011-01-17 10:58 PM So I am kind of freaking out a little bit.  My half marathon went fine yesterday.  In fact, I beat my goal time by 1 second.  haha.  Cardio-wise I felt great.  However, the final 4 or 5 miles were tough on my hips and knees.  Anyway, once it was over my legs were done.  So now my confidence for the HIM is shattered.  I just don't know how I am possibly going to be able to run 13 miles after biking 56 miles.  How are we going to be able to do it?  Ugh!  I only have 11 weeks to go and my biking has been terrible lately.  I haven't even ridden over 30 miles in months.  Plus, the bike course for this race is supposed to be a beast.  Crap.  Is it too late to ramp up my bike miles? 

Breathe. Running the half marathon isn't supposed to be easy.  I just ran 14.5 (very slowly) and felt the same in hips and knees.  It was tough picking my legs up and running over the curb on the streets.  Congrats on the half marathon--it is awesome to meet and beat your goal.  What was it again? 145 IIRC?  You'll pick up legs after 1.2 of swimming and a bike ride...you will feel like you are on wheels.  Focus on your nutrition.  My biking is where I need the most work too.  I am at the same point as you I think (second week of base 2), and I plan on ramping up my bike miles.  

Seriously though, good job.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about the same things as you are, but you just had an accomplishment.  Keep putting in hard work and you will be there.  I have my Half Mary on Feb 13.  I am not expecting it to be painless, and am not expecting to be spry after.  Enjoy what you just accomplished, and you have something to look forward to.  Imagine how good the HIM finish is gonna feel, however much time it takes! 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150