BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-04-27 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3470021

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!
I don't know... is 300 ft a big hill? I better start hill training! A lot of the course is flat - by the waterfront, down the Embarcadero, etc., but it climbs to 300 ft a couple of time. Yikes! I usually avoid hills when I run! I just made an appointment at a PT for a gait analysis next week- hopefully they can give me some advice and exercises to prevent injuries.

2011-04-27 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3468866

User image

Extreme Veteran

peggyf - 2011-04-27 9:28 AM Hi everyone from Florida!  Getting set to go to TN for my first tri of the season.  Question for those of you who wear wetsuits - What can I do to not feel like I can't breathe?  I haven't had it on since last April when I did my very first tri and I wasn't sure I'd even get through the swim because of the panicky feeling I had.  I had even practiced a couple of open water swims, but it didn't seem to help.  Now here I go this year and haven't done an open water swim with the darn thing yet.  Was hoping that the water wouldn't be so cold, BUT 65 degrees is COLD.  So I'll have to wear it.  Why do I feel like I can't breathe?  My chest feels constricted.  Any suggestions on what to do about it?

Peggy, that happens to me EVERY time I get in cold water, and I don't think it's the wetsuit- I think it's the cold water! It's just a physiological response to the cold, and it goes away in about 5 minutes. If at all possible, you should get in the water 5-10 minutes before the start, and make sure to put your face in the water- blow bubbles. This will give your body a chance to acclimate. If you can't do this, just take it real easy for the first few minutes and keep reminding yourself that it will pass in 5 minutes. Breathe as slowly and deeply as you can and take a few side or back strokes as necessary. But don't panic! It will pass.

2011-04-27 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3464706

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
TTucker - 2011-04-25 1:54 PM

We are all nice people?! Really?? Okay, well everyone is nice except Wilson (he's NUTS!), Marsha....Turtle, Janet,

Joe, Jordie..Shawn, Hilde (she carries a WHIP!!)...Who AM I forgetting?? ....:P

Here it goes again....Bash wilson time - mother my I have another!!!!!....I'm not completely crazy...I just run with a stuffed animal..that's all.  And you guys are just afraid that Courtney will be my bff!!!!!  You'll see - you can start being jealous now..haha...or she'll run like hell and never log onto this thread again....LMAO....  Only time will tell..

2011-04-27 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3463792

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
hildekq - 2011-04-25 5:43 AM

Guys and gals!  We have a new MMM member who should be checking in here shortly... Tammy Tucker and I met her at the 10K we did last month and she is interested in triathlon, but will be starting out doing duathlons.  So she is a true newbie... Her name is Courtney and here's a link to her log: 

Courtney - RunningMoore 

She hasn't started using her logs yet, but hopefully that will change ASAP!  Please give her a warm, MMM welcome!  And Courtney, DO NOT BE AFRAID... we are all very nice people!

Okay guys, I gave Courtney a big hug and warm introduction..haha...I told her how screwed up all you guys were...how I have to keep you in line....how I have to fight you off.....how I have tell you about my dungeon...how much abuse I have to take from dominatrix girls...whips...chains.....and body building.  How my therapy bills are too much and I can't afford a Tri bike..while everyone else is getting one.....haha....I think she's gunna like this group...good thing it's not survivor or I may be voted off...sadly, but true...hehe...okay, back to inspires!!! I'm behind again!

2011-04-27 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3468866

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

peggyf - 2011-04-27 11:28 AM Hi everyone from Florida!  Getting set to go to TN for my first tri of the season.  Question for those of you who wear wetsuits - What can I do to not feel like I can't breathe?  I haven't had it on since last April when I did my very first tri and I wasn't sure I'd even get through the swim because of the panicky feeling I had.  I had even practiced a couple of open water swims, but it didn't seem to help.  Now here I go this year and haven't done an open water swim with the darn thing yet.  Was hoping that the water wouldn't be so cold, BUT 65 degrees is COLD.  So I'll have to wear it.  Why do I feel like I can't breathe?  My chest feels constricted.  Any suggestions on what to do about it?

Peggy, since I'm a guy - I'll go for the obvious...Your wetsuit is too small to fit the boobies!!!!  You might need to rent a new one that is a little bigger on top....I think that'll fix the problem of not being able to breath.....See, you asked for help and Mr. Obvious is here to help!!!! haha....I feel this way in Tri shorts...kinda restrictive...horrible problem, I know.... Hilde has given me some websites for assistance on that one....but I'm shy and don't dare to web surf where she does...that's way too scary!  I'm cracking myself up...LMAO...I'm on a roll tonight...trying to relieve the stress from the day....better than cocaine and moon pies!

2011-04-27 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3469097

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
hildekq - 2011-04-27 12:37 PM

Peggy, I haven't had that feeling either... but I've read some stuff here on BT to get in the water and let some water inside the suit through the neck I guess.    I would also try and do a warm-up so that hopefully you can get that panicky feeling over and done with before your wave takes off.  Also, try and get that suit UP... really get it up in your legs, tug it up in the arse, get as much extra as you can up around your shoulders, so hopefully you'll have less constriction.

GOOD LUCK to you and Wesley and your daughter in your first family tri!!

And Tammy I imagine we're kind of slow over here because WILSON hasn't been hanging around tormenting us... c'mon Wilson, dish it out, we can take it AND give it!  And I don't know what's up with Shawn either, he's been the invisible man lately....

Okay, I will.. Shoving a wet-suit up your A$$ will not help the situation!!! Damn girl...a wet suit wedgie will just irritate your A$$ and have you picking your butt the rest of the race..not a pretty sight at the finish line either...hand up your A$$ pumping your fist..hahah....you asked for it!

2011-04-27 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3259026

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Hey, I'm an extreme veteran now!!!!!!  I feel so big!!!!!  Does this mean I'll get faster swimming??? GOD I hope so!
2011-04-27 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3469998

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
tstl - 2011-04-27 6:37 PM

OMG! Since I've had a fairly injury-free year of running, I had been toying with the idea of doing a marathon, something I had always talked myself out of in the past. On a whim last week, I threw my name in the hat for the random drawing to enter the Nike Women's Marathon in SFO (my favorite city!) in October. Today, I got this:

Dear Tammy Hines,

By throwing your name into the random drawing for the 2011 Nike Women’s Marathon, you let us know you were serious. 

You are up to the challenge of running (26.2 or 13.1) miles.
You can’t wait to hit the streets of San Francisco.
You are fiercely motivated by the thought of 20,000 women doing this together. 
You want that Tiffany’s finisher’s necklace so bad you can taste it.

Well it’s time to put your legs where your clicking finger was, because the Goddess of Victoryhas spoken.

You’re IN, baby!

Eek! I'm equal parts excited and freaked out!! 

Tammy that is awesome...we have no doubt you can do it..and do it well...You put the teaser out...now make it good!!!!  26.2 girl!!!! after that you might as well do an IM.....Go Tammy, Go Tammy!!!!

You'll have a cheering section here!!!

2011-04-27 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3470081

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
tstl - 2011-04-27 7:50 PM

peggyf - 2011-04-27 9:28 AM Hi everyone from Florida!  Getting set to go to TN for my first tri of the season.  Question for those of you who wear wetsuits - What can I do to not feel like I can't breathe?  I haven't had it on since last April when I did my very first tri and I wasn't sure I'd even get through the swim because of the panicky feeling I had.  I had even practiced a couple of open water swims, but it didn't seem to help.  Now here I go this year and haven't done an open water swim with the darn thing yet.  Was hoping that the water wouldn't be so cold, BUT 65 degrees is COLD.  So I'll have to wear it.  Why do I feel like I can't breathe?  My chest feels constricted.  Any suggestions on what to do about it?

Peggy, that happens to me EVERY time I get in cold water, and I don't think it's the wetsuit- I think it's the cold water! It's just a physiological response to the cold, and it goes away in about 5 minutes. If at all possible, you should get in the water 5-10 minutes before the start, and make sure to put your face in the water- blow bubbles. This will give your body a chance to acclimate. If you can't do this, just take it real easy for the first few minutes and keep reminding yourself that it will pass in 5 minutes. Breathe as slowly and deeply as you can and take a few side or back strokes as necessary. But don't panic! It will pass.

Tammy, I think I've solved this problem for Peggy...haha  I'm waiting for a response...I think I'm right here...Hilde's suggestion of stuffing the wetsuit up her A$$ wasn't a good one.....Someone check Hilde's temperature...she's a little warm - I'd suspect!

2011-04-27 8:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

Okay, I'm done for now...I've given some pretty good advice here today...for free...That's a big bonus in my book....And I think Courtney will thing I'm splendid for such good support and advice...Unlike Hilde with that wetsuit comment...geeezzzzzz....

Have a good night my favorite peeps...I can hopefully get up tomorrow and do some doggy paddle in the pool!!!  I still have more inspires to catch up on...but now I need to shower - after the bike ride - and go to bed...I think the wifey misses me!!! hehe Surprised

2011-04-27 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3470264

User image

Extreme Veteran
OK, Wilson, you big ol' perv, would you mind posting the Indy Tri info one more time for a procrastinator? I'm ready to register and get my schedule set up for June!

2011-04-28 4:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI

Tammy -

Congratulations on getting into the SF marathon.  It looks like a great event!!!  You'll love the marathon (I do).  It is just so much simpler than a tri.  Like, for example no wetsuit for Wilson to go on and on about.

2011-04-28 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3470510

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Let me clarify my wetsuit response to Peggy.... to take a real load off your chest, Peggy, you should shove your wetsuit up Wilson's @$$, heck I'll even shove MINE up there too!  Anyone else in? 

Thanks for the laughs Wilson, just LOVE all your free advice.... I'm thinking that Courtney has started running and she ain't never coming back!

2011-04-28 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL

OMG!!!  I'm trying to work over here!  How can I possibly read these blogs while my students are quietly working without busting a gut!!!  Wilson, I knew it was the double DDs that were giving me the problem ... why didn't I think of that sooner?  Actually, Hilde's advice is probably best ... you know, the one about shoving the wetsuit up someone else's a&& helping me swim faster! 

Seriously, though, Tammy, WAY TO GO!!  And you'll get Tiffany bling to go with the race.  I hope to do a full marathon next year (again, with my son and daughter). 

Hilde, actually I think your idea of pulling up the wetsuit farther might just help.  I have a really long torso and so it feels like it's pulling my shoulders down which makes me feel like my chest is constricted.  I'll try it.  I'll also try Tammy's advice about getting in the water beforehand.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

2011-04-28 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3468836

User image

Veteran
wrkinprogress - 2011-04-27 10:22 AM

*Waves hi from the rainy Midwest*

Sorry, Tammy-- it's the end of term around here, so chaos and term papers abound. Fret not, though-- once I'm through with those I'm sure I'll be posting all kinds of nonsense as the HIM training continues...Innocent

Funniest thing I read recently, in a book on digestive health (don't ask): "You will not feel hungry on this cleanse." I'm tempted to write back to the author with a suggested emendation: "Unless you are a triathlete training for a half-ironman and have just completed a 13-hour workday, you will not feel hungry on this cleanse. If you are such a triathlete, you will, in fact, be hungry enough to check every grocery store in your workplace's town to see if anyone stocks carrot juice. I kid you not." Far more accurate, I feel! (Don't fret, gang-- it's just for another day or so to reset my system at the end of what has been a hellacious few months for reasons best not gone into. I'm already planning what I'll eat as soon as it's done! Smile And yes, I did find the carrot juice, at long last... Laughing)

Yaaay, I was starting to feel like the unloved, red-headed step child!!

Was this cleanse the "Master Cleanse"? I've been told much about it recently but have been too much of a weenie to do yet ANOTHER cleanse. Don't get me wrong, I haven't done one in about 6 months or so (it's not a habit or anything). However, I also know how much better I feel afterwards!

Trying to do a cleanse, 'unsupported' with all the chaos in such a large family makes me shudder!! I KNOW I will be hungry - contrary to the crazy people saying that I will not. I'll probably even have DREAMS about eating!! LOL

Glad to see that you are still live n kickin'!! 

2011-04-28 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3470229

User image

Veteran
wsilverthorne - 2011-04-27 8:21 PM
TTucker - 2011-04-25 1:54 PM

We are all nice people?! Really?? Okay, well everyone is nice except Wilson (he's NUTS!), Marsha....Turtle, Janet,

Joe, Jordie..Shawn, Hilde (she carries a WHIP!!)...Who AM I forgetting?? ....:P

Here it goes again....Bash wilson time - mother my I have another!!!!!....I'm not completely crazy...I just run with a stuffed animal..that's all.  And you guys are just afraid that Courtney will be my bff!!!!!  You'll see - you can start being jealous now..haha...or she'll run like hell and never log onto this thread again....LMAO....  Only time will tell..

Wilson, my dear...I MISSSSED YOU...I wouldn't bash you if you didn't make it so doggone fun.. However, if you insist, I will stop.   

From now on - NO MORE BASHING WILSON!! That's my goal...............0_0

2011-04-28 2:24 PM

User image

Veteran

Whew! As tears roll down my face from laughing ALL BY MYSELF at all the posts!! At least I'm not sitting in a classroom like Peggy TRYING NOT to laugh!!

Peggy - I've never been in a wet suit, however I do have those OH CRAP feelings of panic in cold water. I think if you follow Hilde the queens' advice and Tammy's you'll be fine! While THINKING ABOUT shoving the wet suit and various other tri paraphernalia up Wilsons A$$!!

Tammy- WOOHOOO a full marathon? You go girl!! I want to....maybe at the end of the year. Have to see what's going to happen w/this FOOT!

Wilson - um..........hope you had a niiiice doggy paddle in the pool

Working the husband about the meet up in Indy. He REALLY wants to see his mother, who has yet to meet our 3yr old, so I told him I will pay for HER to come here while I go to Indy....LOL...works for me!

On a serious note: As I was 'cheating' last night w/ a calzone (that upset my tummy for hours) I was  wondering how many of us would be interested in being held accountable to the others in the group for our good/bad food choices....? For those of you who don't have the love/hate issue with food it doesn't apply but I know for several of us food IS an issue and maybe we need some accountability with folks we trust...? Suggestions or ideas? Thoughts..comments??

2011-04-29 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3471885

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I don't think I want to share my secret binges.... well, maybe they are not binges since then can go on for days and days... this week has not been good for me.  Statewide testing all week long so I've only had students 3 hours a day (hordes of them, in the cafeteria watching the Toy Story Trilogy), so lunch out as well as the school providing "breakfast" which consisted of a uber processed sweet roll, a chocolate chip muffin and another uber processed cheese Danish... so bad, and yet so good!  Well that, and eating the leftover Easter chocolate that didn't go in the grandbaby's Easter basket, mmmmm.  Oh crap, it's not a secret anymore....
2011-04-29 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3472790

hildekq - 2011-04-29 6:26 AM I don't think I want to share my secret binges.... well, maybe they are not binges since then can go on for days and days... this week has not been good for me.  Statewide testing all week long so I've only had students 3 hours a day (hordes of them, in the cafeteria watching the Toy Story Trilogy), so lunch out as well as the school providing "breakfast" which consisted of a uber processed sweet roll, a chocolate chip muffin and another uber processed cheese Danish... so bad, and yet so good!  Well that, and eating the leftover Easter chocolate that didn't go in the grandbaby's Easter basket, mmmmm.  Oh crap, it's not a secret anymore....

Now, that post made me spit coffee!  Secret binges indeed.  Cool

2011-04-29 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3471822

User image

Expert
TTucker - 2011-04-28 2:06 PM
wrkinprogress - 2011-04-27 10:22 AM

*Waves hi from the rainy Midwest*

Sorry, Tammy-- it's the end of term around here, so chaos and term papers abound. Fret not, though-- once I'm through with those I'm sure I'll be posting all kinds of nonsense as the HIM training continues...Innocent

Funniest thing I read recently, in a book on digestive health (don't ask): "You will not feel hungry on this cleanse." I'm tempted to write back to the author with a suggested emendation: "Unless you are a triathlete training for a half-ironman and have just completed a 13-hour workday, you will not feel hungry on this cleanse. If you are such a triathlete, you will, in fact, be hungry enough to check every grocery store in your workplace's town to see if anyone stocks carrot juice. I kid you not." Far more accurate, I feel! (Don't fret, gang-- it's just for another day or so to reset my system at the end of what has been a hellacious few months for reasons best not gone into. I'm already planning what I'll eat as soon as it's done! Smile And yes, I did find the carrot juice, at long last... Laughing)

Yaaay, I was starting to feel like the unloved, red-headed step child!!

Was this cleanse the "Master Cleanse"? I've been told much about it recently but have been too much of a weenie to do yet ANOTHER cleanse. Don't get me wrong, I haven't done one in about 6 months or so (it's not a habit or anything). However, I also know how much better I feel afterwards!

Trying to do a cleanse, 'unsupported' with all the chaos in such a large family makes me shudder!! I KNOW I will be hungry - contrary to the crazy people saying that I will not. I'll probably even have DREAMS about eating!! LOL

Glad to see that you are still live n kickin'!! 

Thanks, Tammy! And no, it wasn't the "Master Cleanse," but one I read (carefully) about in said book on digestive health-- I picked it, in fact, because it looked relatively sane as opposed to insisting that one survive on hot water and lemon juice for ages. Worked pretty well, too-- I'm feeling considerably better all round!

2011-04-29 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3472860

User image

Expert
bunsy - 2011-04-29 7:31 AM

hildekq - 2011-04-29 6:26 AM I don't think I want to share my secret binges.... well, maybe they are not binges since then can go on for days and days... this week has not been good for me.  Statewide testing all week long so I've only had students 3 hours a day (hordes of them, in the cafeteria watching the Toy Story Trilogy), so lunch out as well as the school providing "breakfast" which consisted of a uber processed sweet roll, a chocolate chip muffin and another uber processed cheese Danish... so bad, and yet so good!  Well that, and eating the leftover Easter chocolate that didn't go in the grandbaby's Easter basket, mmmmm.  Oh crap, it's not a secret anymore....

Now, that post made me spit coffee!  Secret binges indeed.  Cool

Chuckle-- no kidding! I'd have no problem talking about food whenever anyone wanted to, that's for sure. I'm eating lots of veggies right now, which is great because they're not only good for me but (more importantly) I can eat lots of them without consuming too many calories! Will be making Thai-style coleslaw tonight (instead of mayo, add rice vinegar and a bit of sesame oil & a few sesame seeds): can't wait to see how it goes. Luckily, I don't have Easter chocolate hanging around... then again, I'm more a salt-craver than a sweet-craver, which is why I don't keep potato chips or pretzels in the house!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

2011-04-30 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
HEY ALL!!! Not a whole lot of activity going on over here.  Hey, tonight I ate so much pizza I think I'm gunna puke...I was in one of those moods and just wanted to eat eat eat...so I let it go and did just that...And, I don't feel guilty - cuz I don't do that often.  So today was an awesome day in Zionsville, IN....about 75 with nearly 30mph winds...haha.  We had way too many kids activities today I could only get 1 hour to bike...and that was a tight schedule...I racked the bike and went directly to the shower and we were on the road 15 minutes later for church.  I didn't even get time to stretch - which isn't good.  The windy bike ride went okay, but my upper back was giving me issues...this has never happened before...my back has never gotten tight..dunno about that one either - it was a short ride.  Tomorrow it's supposed to rain some more...I'm so sick of rain.  Tomorrow we have another soccer game....and since I'm assistant coach I just can't watch..haha...I have to run up and down the field with 5 five year old girls..haha..They played well today and are so cute to watch!  Okay, gunna go inspire some peeps now...hopefully.  Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
2011-04-30 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3471885

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
TTucker - 2011-04-28 3:24 PM

Whew! As tears roll down my face from laughing ALL BY MYSELF at all the posts!! At least I'm not sitting in a classroom like Peggy TRYING NOT to laugh!!

Peggy - I've never been in a wet suit, however I do have those OH CRAP feelings of panic in cold water. I think if you follow Hilde the queens' advice and Tammy's you'll be fine! While THINKING ABOUT shoving the wet suit and various other tri paraphernalia up Wilsons A$$!!

Tammy- WOOHOOO a full marathon? You go girl!! I want to....maybe at the end of the year. Have to see what's going to happen w/this FOOT!

Wilson - um..........hope you had a niiiice doggy paddle in the pool

Working the husband about the meet up in Indy. He REALLY wants to see his mother, who has yet to meet our 3yr old, so I told him I will pay for HER to come here while I go to Indy....LOL...works for me!

On a serious note: As I was 'cheating' last night w/ a calzone (that upset my tummy for hours) I was  wondering how many of us would be interested in being held accountable to the others in the group for our good/bad food choices....? For those of you who don't have the love/hate issue with food it doesn't apply but I know for several of us food IS an issue and maybe we need some accountability with folks we trust...? Suggestions or ideas? Thoughts..comments??

Tammy, here is the info for the Indy Tri

http://www.trifind.com/re_34047/IndianapolisSprintTriathlon1.html

I hope you can make it...that would be so cool!  The futon is still unclaimed....We are having a big slumber party at the Wilson compound..haha....It's gunna be fun - I'm sure my stomach will hurt from laughter after this weekend...Keep after your hubby.....promise him stuff...guys are shallow and fall for all kinds of !! LMAO..

I think the after party is gunna shape up to be really fun too...A few friends of mine doing the Tri will probably show up for the celebration...so lots of war stories can be told while we pig out and drink the beverage of choice...mine might be beer or gin&tonic...not sure yet...after lots of water of course!  Maybe an evening bike ride might be cool too..dunno, we'll see....It would be cool to ride in a pack with all of you guys!!!  Except those dangerous Tri bikes..haha

2011-05-01 11:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

OK, here's a bit of randomness I wanted to share... Take a look at what I stumbled across on Google maps when I was scouting for a trail or mining road to run on this weekend:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode&q=prescott%2C+arizona&aq&sll=32.269717%2C-110.944061&sspn=0.787275%2C1.665802&ie=UTF8&hq&hnear=Prescott%2C+Yavapai%2C+Arizona&ll=34.480453%2C-112.427044&spn=0.024869%2C0.052056&t=h&z=15

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's... a plane?!

2011-05-02 4:55 AM
in reply to: #3476796

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Tammy that is too funny!  I like the jet stream in there too!!  You can see Ron and I when you go to street view of our house... 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 70