BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-06-27 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3568458

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

CANON -

Good results, terrific report, GREAT photo! A hat trick! I have lots to say about it all (well, maybe not too much more about the photo.... ), and will get to that as soon as possible tomorrow.

Just a quick thought about the T2 thing. Do the times you gave for the other four add up to your total time? If so, it means that T2 was included in either the bike or run time. The other way to figure it out is that if those times DON'T add up to your total time....well, T2 will then be the difference. Sometimes timing mats malfunction!

Again, terrific report. You are very thoughtful and analytical about your performance, and that is a hugely important ability to have as you work your way through thre triathlon seasons to come. Some people have it and some don't....and you seem to have it in abundance!

More later!

2011-06-28 4:09 AM
in reply to: #3570294

User image

Concord

Thanks Steve. 

On the T2 thing - I don't know.  I did a horrible job keeping my splits, all I have is a total time which is about 3 minutes off.  I've got to assume that the ride includes the T2 split (which actually makes my ride better)

The analytical thing - well that's just a genetic/occupational hazard thing. LOL

I look forward to the rest of your comments.

Canon

2011-06-28 7:09 AM

User image

Champion

CANON -

See? Not all genetic baggage is bad, and not all occupational hazards are universally hazardous!

So much of what you experienced are things that I have experienced as well, and the same applies to most of us who have ventured into triathlon. So, maybe, this falls into the category of "misery loves company", and I suspect hat somewhere in the world there are support groups that deal with several/many garden-variety triathlon woes!

Your swim:
Sighting issues! Yup, been there....and am still there at times! Actually, my issues are no longer so much sighting as they are wandering -- a tendency to drift to the left. Over the years I have lost lots of time trying to correct that, as in getting back on track and following some semblance of a straight line. If your problems were not adequately sighting the buoys, then that's something that can be corrected by figuring out what is the most fluid way to turn your head or face so that (a) you see the buoy and (b) you minimize how muchh you disrupt your aquadynamics to do so. If it turns out that you are geneally inclined to swim in a straight line with minimal or no drifting, then you are blessed and will eventually have the self-confidence to swim many strokes without needing to sight, secure in the knowledge that you are heading directly to the next buoy. And if part of your sighting problems were due to goggles...........well, brace yourself for that happening every so often. It's amazing how often people are undermined by leakage or foggage, with the former affecting my race swim a couple of weeks ago. Ack!!

Your T1:
Being prepared is good, and there is no crime in taking more time than you maybe needed to -- especially in a first triathlon. My former coach was fond of reminding me that it's better to take 30 seconds now if it will prevent losing 30 minutes later, so making sure that you had everything you needed was 100% smart. You now have a baseline time from which to work, and I think it is completely reasonable to expect to cut off whole minutes of your transition times with more experience.
As for not knowing where the time went, it might be that the timing mat was right at the water's edge, and so whatever run there was from the water to transition was part of the 5:43.
After a few years of racing, I learned that it was better to postpone putting on socks until T2 (That was before I stopped wearing socks, period). This removed the need to clean off the sand and stuff before donning them, or even if there wasn't cleaning, just the small struggle to get even minimal socks onto wet feet. So, I just take my feet how they are and that's what goes into my cycling cleats. Unless it's raining, my feet are always dry by the time I finish the bike, so getting on socks (when I wore them) is pretty easy in T2.

Your bike:
Yes, riding more will help, and the cramping tells you that you maybe did need more electrolytes fairly early in the ride. I generally domn't hydrate at all for the first ten moinutes of the bike, just figuring that I have taken in water during the swim. But if it's ahot day and/or there is a lot of climbing involved, I will heat my energy drink (usaully HEED) as soon as I get settled on the bike (which involves feet in cleats, and just generally getting my cadence where I want it).

Your run:
Add to core and hydration, maybe, an altered running form for the first half-mile or so. For me it is smaller and quicker steps, even quicker than my usual run cadence of ~90/minute. This just eases my running muscles into the transition off the bike, and usually within about 3-5 minutes my systems have returned to normal and are ready to do their thing. There is also a technique that I use over the final mile of the bike, and I'm sorry I didn't mention it to you specifically. I'm sure I have mentioned it elsewhere......but I sure can't expect everyone in the group to read every single post. I will try to remember to post this to YOU asap, but if I am slow with it, please don't hesitate to say "I'm still waaaaaiting........"

Finally (for now; I have to leave shortly), that's a good assessment of the race and how it is organized and run (there's that analytical side of you again! ). I will say a few things about that when I return later this evening, too.

Finally-finally, REALLY nice that the family was there to see you. Big old cherry-on-top with that happening for you!

2011-06-28 5:05 PM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Alaska
Well, the friend I was going to drive with to Fairbanks and share accomodations got a grade 2 calf strain this weekend and is gimping around unable to put weight on that calf. She is no longer able to participate in the Sourdough Half Ironman so... that gives me an excuse to not particpate. My other excuses, I really dont like the drive there and back (8 hours one way) and I am not fully trained for a half as I have been putting more emphasis on the mountain running. I could go up there and hurt but I think I will save it for another effort. Maybe the State Tri in August, it is an Olympic distance and only about an hour and half drive from Anchorage.
2011-06-28 8:00 PM

User image

Regular
Crystal Coast

Canon,

Congrats on your race and thanks for sharing your insights.  Stairs on the run?.....sounds like bleacher running from wrestling days ouch. I bet the view from the bridge was great though.

JK

2011-06-29 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Congrat's Canon.  Well done race.  Sounds like a hard one with all the elevation changes.

CTYoung - 2011-06-27 1:36 AM

Golden Gate Triathlon 2011 Sprint Distance Race Report.

Swim        20:26          Rank 3

T1            5:43            Rank 12

Ride         1:04:55       Rank 10

Run         31:57           Rank 7

Overall (M35 and over)  14/31

Division M35-39  7/11

Swim – Felt good.  I was a little tired coming out of the water, but not much.  I actually could have been faster.  I had sighting issues and ended up making two legs of the swim longer than they should have.  I’m sure I lost about 3+ minutes there.  I think my tiredness came from pushing to correct for my sighting issues.

T1 – I have no idea what the heck happened there.  I do, but it didn’t feel like 5 minutes.  Quite honestly, this is down right embarrassing.  I think I knew the bike was going to be a beast and wanted to be prepared for it and in doing so, took to much time (Gel, clean socked feet, etc).  Even still – I gotta cut 2 min of that time next time.  Lesson:  test time the transition and getting out of the wet suit and cut out everything that is not necessary (duh – can you tell I’m not happy about this).

Ride – It was what I knew it was going to be.  3 laps about 500 feet of elevation change twice per lap going up and over a hill.  Having a 25+ year old bike really hurt.  I have the old 126 mm rear end and not enough gears to make climbing easy or efficient.  I also may not have been hydrated enough as I started to cramp on lap 2 and worried about that the rest of the ride.  Lesson: I just have to ride more to get faster because a new bike is not in my immediate future.

Note: there were two transition areas, one for T1 and another for T2.  Strangely, there is no time for T2…

Run – It took me about 1 – 1.5 miles to be able to run with any pace.  The beginning of the run is all up hill – with even a set of stairs.  My back was killing me and I had to walk for a bit of it.  I think this was a core and hydration issue.  Once that passed, I was running at decent clip.  Running on the Golden Gate Bride was nice.  Once I hit the turn around (half way) I was moving pretty good.  One guy passed me and then I managed to pass him back and keep him behind me the rest of the way.  He ended up 4 sec behind me.  Lesson: work on core strength and stay more hydrated before the race.

Overall, this was a well run race on the part of trifreaks.  If anyone is looking for a good (and hard) triathlon in the bay area – consider this one.  Just be sure to study the elevation changes and prepare for them.  I think they are getting better at putting this on every year and this year didn’t seem to have the problems that prior years had (getting the ebb and flow in the bay wrong, having only 1 transition area so you had to run ¾ of a mile to T1, etc.)  Personally, I have mixed emotions about my performance.  I’m glad I finished, and it went pretty much as I expected (minus the T1, cramping and slow performance at the start of the run).  I knew the bike was going to be a beast and it was.  I knew I would be near the front of the pack coming out of the water and there was little I could do to keep that position on the ride.  Honestly, I was hoping to be at or under 1 hour for the ride and just at or under 2 hours for the total pace.  The most annoying thing is that I know where I left it on the track and I own all of that.  The up side is new bike or not, I’ll be back next year and when I look at the times of the people who will be in my division next year – I’m aiming for (and believe I can reach) the top of the chart!

Lastly, I'm really glad my family was there to support me.  It was cool seeing my wife and kids before the swim, on the bike and looking for them at the end of the run.  Getting up at o'dark thirty wasn't fun for them but they did it for me and I'm glad they did.

Now, on to my next sprint in September (where I can prepare a really efficient T1) in Pleasanton, Ca (and where there should be a lot less hills than SF).

Canon

2011-06-29 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

I come across this great motivational video (cool song as well).  On those days when I just don't feel like getting out the door I can usually take a look at this and it will get me out the door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9O84Ry6axY

2011-06-29 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Canon,

Congrats on your race.  I've been doing transitions for 3 years and I'm still terrible.  Glad your next race will be a little easier.

Denise

2011-06-29 9:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

What's up with you?  You're not talking about any of your upcoming races and it's almost July.  Do you have injuries?

Denise

2011-06-30 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3573938

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Well, yeah. There's the residual hip/groin thing for which I FINALLY received a cortisone injection about 16 days ago, and I'm still waiting to see how it will resilve itself. It seems to be improved.....but not 100%. And to think I was hoping for 110%!

I haven't been on the bike in 11 days, and prior to that was a pretty good layoff, too. The race I did on June 12 showed me to still have good bike strength, but at this point I can't help but think it is not what it should be.

The race I had planned for last Sunday didn't happen for me. The day before, in an Ashtanga Yoga class, I torqued my knee too much doing Ardha Baddha Padma Pashimottanasana (Ha! I don't really know that one by heart, and just looked it up! ) and felt a pop on the medial side of my knee, or just below it. It was fairly sore afterwards, and it was kind of a no-brainer to not push it in a race, even a sprint. It still hurt for a couple more days, and I started worrying about my MCL. Then Tuesday I noticed bruising below the site of the pop, and that made me feel better -- along with the fact that walking and going up and down stairs didn't hurt at all. I ran on it today and it seemed to do fine, so I'm wondering if maybe all I did was pop a blood vessel? I'm still wary, but feeling better about it daily.

I had thought about doing an oly this weekend, but just don't feel it is worth it to drive 2:15 each way for a race that is "C"-priority at best. I might do one next weekend, but I wouldn't count on it.

So, more and more, this season is turning into a "step-back" season -- something I have never before allowed myself. There are some real money-saving aspects involved in this, but mostly I think I'm just tired of how hard I have pushed myself the past few seasons. I wish I had more to offer the group here in terms of racing accounts, and to make that feeling even worse....I haven't posted a race report for any of the three races I HAVE done! Slack, slacker, slackest!

I'm still loving/craving Yoga, and it;'s funny how many similarities I see between how I am approaching that now as compared to how I approached triathlon way back when. I should probably ratlle through that sometime on these pages, but........

Navel-gazing about triathlon, I ahd gotten myself to a point where big changes in performance just weren't going to happen, short of having a coach whho could really push me hard. I was still improving, but those improvements were very incremental -- my progress had become as leisurely as the drifting of the continents (to paraphrase T.C. Boyle). With Yoga, though, the area for reasonable improvement is vast, and I guess I like having that arrayed before me; what a smorgasborg of challenges!

Blah, blah, blah --- And aren't you sorry you asked? (But thanks for asking!!)

2011-07-01 5:44 PM

User image

Alaska

Hope everyone has a great Independence Day weekend!

I am hoping to connect with Lisa in some way before I head out of town. It has been beautiful here but it is starting to turn, cross your fingers it holds!

I'll check back with some sort of race report after the Mt Marathon race on the 4th.

Have fun!

2011-07-01 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3577581

User image

Champion

It is CANADA DAY here, the Canadian equivalent of July 4th. As an ex-pat Yank, I like to observe both....although in general I have hardly a party-guy and most holidays are kind of wasted on me.

That said, the school I worked at my last 19 years of teaching was on the Akwesasne Mohawk Indian Reserve which straddles part of the New York/Ontario border, and both Thanksgivings were observed -- which meant a day off around Oct 10, and another day off at the end of November. THOSE holidays I sure did enjoy!

May you all have a s lovely a July 4th where you are as we are experiencing here in eastern Ontario -- warm, sunny, spectacular. Bon fete!

2011-07-01 5:54 PM
in reply to: #3577581

User image

Champion

VERONICA -

No one visits LISA in Houston, so she travels around trying to meet some of us in far-flung places. Last year in was Denise in MN, this year it might be you in AK. I want to convince her that Ontario, too, is far-flung; maybe next year!

2011-07-01 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3577593

User image

Champion

Come to think of it, no one visits me here, either!

I have met people from other of my groups in NH, MA, ME, VA, VT, and MD, and maybe some other spots, too. I guess this follows my adolescent pattern of chasing the girls, rather than them chasing me. (Awwwww!)

2011-07-02 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

Well, you were sounding a little more chipper in your posts yesterday vs the one the day before. 

You know that a step-back year is probably very good for you.  Last year was crazy for you - didn't you even do a trio one weekend?

Your interest in yoga sounds great - but I honestly don't think it will replace racing for you.  They don't have yoga competitions, do they? or maybe they do.  You are a very competitive person and I can't see that changing.

Denise

2011-07-03 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3578563

User image

Champion

DENISE -

And last year was the sensible year! Following my '06 season which was just aquabikes due to my torn meniscus, here are some stats on the next three seasons:

17 races (11 tri, 6 du)
2 half-irons, 1 half-tion du

10 triathlons
Musselman weekend -- sprint on Saturday, half-iron on Sunday
Chicago "Triple Challenge" -- super-sprint on saturday, sprint at 6 a.m. Sunday, olympic at 9:30 a.m. Sunday

13 races (10 tri, 3 du -- the dus were while I was recovering from my separted shoulder
one half-iron

Last year was "just" eleven races, and the only weirdo was the FTT Double, which was an oly in the morning and a sprint in the afternoon. (FTT stands for Fronhofer Tool Triathlon.)

I have said before that as each season progresses I get more and more tired of putting on my "race-face", which is scoping out the competetion and then fussing about how to beat them. It's at this point that being competetive is a double-edged sword, and I find myslef very envious of all the people who do theis stuff either for fun or just t keep testing themselves and charting their OWN improvement -- regardless of anyone else, period.

In Sept. '09, at lake George Triathlon, I saw the name Win Thomas on the registrant list. He is my age, and in the mid-decade he was one of the best in New England, especially at the half-iron distance. I can't remember if we ever raced in the same race on the same day, but I know that looking at his stellar results from Timberman, he was many, many minutes better than I was on that course.

I didn't talk to him before the race, but I heard him say to someone else that he mostly just trains for the fun of it, and doesn't do all that many races anymore. I still woprried about him, though, but didn't need to, as I finished about ten minutes ahead of him. I wondered what had happened to his desire and competitive drive........and now I wonder if what he went through is similar to what is affecting me now. At least for me, for now, I'm just enjoying this time of learning somehting now and not outting any pressure at all on myself to perform, perform, perform. That will likely come later in the summer -- at West Point if I do it, and then at Nations on 9/11. But for now I 'm just marking my time, swimming lots and running some, and cycling when I think my hip/groin can handle it.

As for being more chipper -- definitely! That knee scare last weekend really wormed into my psyche, but it's fine with running and cycling and i think all I did was burst a blood vessel, or maybe just tore a shred or two of my ligament or something else. WHEW!!!

Thank you for keeping tabs on me and my agitated self; much appreciated!

And you? Your progress?

2011-07-05 2:12 PM

User image

Alaska

Well darn! Looks like I missed Lisa this weekend. I hope she had a wonderful visit and that we hear from her soon!

Had a great couple days in Seward, weather turned out great.

Here is a brief race report for the mountain run... also you can checkit out online, one of the tv stations did a live stream and it remains on their site. http://www.ktuu.com/sports/mtmarathon/  And if you are curious, you can see my finish on the womens race in the pt 8 video about 8:35 in. It loads pretty quickly that you can jump forward to that spot. I am wearing a blue sport top and black cw shorts.

Ran the Annual Seward Mt Marathon race. Finish time 1:17:53. Placed 87th out of 293 finishers. 22nd in the 40-49 age group. 
Tough race. Hardest part for me is from the main street running on the road to the base of the mountain. I get naseous even thinking about it. Ran in the middle to the back of the pack to the base of the mountain. Then had to make the decision which way. Chose the cliff but stayed a bit more to the right then usual. This worked. Got to the top just above my firend who chose the roots. Then just kept hiking up trying to chose routes that would put me ahead as it takes so much energy to pass someone. Did okay with this just keeping a steady pace up.
Rounded the summit with a couple friends who were volunteering cheering me on! Extra encouragement is good. 
On the down, eyes were very blurry, watery, had a hard time focusing on footing but tried to keep moving quickly. Not my fastest down time but decent time. Believe I was at the top in 58:xx so down was 21:xx. Those splits arent yet posted. Ran the road to the finish with a small rock in the arch of my foot. Very uncomfortable but definitely helped me want to get to the finish quickly.
Good to have another successful year under my belt!

2011-07-05 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3581587

New user
Swansea, IL

Veronica, sounds and looks like a lot of hard work.  I think I'd enjoy the flat parts more.

I've joined a Tuesday nite riding group.  Just got back - did 21.5 miles over rolling terrain.  Couple of big hills (at least from my perspective).  Wasn't familiar with the route so didn't know they were coming until we were into them.  Almost thought I was going to have to get off the bike on the biggest and longest.  Might have actually gone backwards at one point.  Good group to ride with.  Most of the riders are more advanced than I am in terms of both skill and technology but it is a "no drop" ride so we regroup regularly.  Haven't done much group riding in the past but love the dynamic.  Highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys biking.

Signed up for a short sprint race in two weeks and looking forward to testing out the new tri bike.  Then two longer biathlons and another sprint in August/early September.

2011-07-05 8:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
AKtri - 2011-07-05 2:12 PM  

Hardest part for me is from the main street running on the road to the base of the mountain. I get naseous even thinking about it.  

Veronica - I'm confused.  Why was that the hard part?

I watched your finish but didn't hear your name announced but I'm pretty sure it was you.

Congrats - I couldn't do that - I'm vertically challenged.

Denise

2011-07-05 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

Yes, you're definitely ready for a step-back year.

I'm on track for Racine.  Last week was peak week - did a 60 mile bike and 14 mile run (not on same day).  Tapering now.  Getting new tires for my bike.  Not nervous yet but will be soon.

I think I told you that my husband will buy me any bike I want if I win my age group (he had no idea how much a good bike could cost but I'll be kind).  As of the May 14 participant list, there is only one other woman in my age group.  She's 68 and did Racine last year but was a DNF.  I used athlinks.com to find her racing history.  As best I can tell, she's a better swimmer than I am, about the same on the bike, but I'm quite a bit better on the run.  I need to make sure I keep that run advantage by not trying to do more than I should on the bike.

Denise

2011-07-05 10:52 PM
in reply to: #3582219

User image

Alaska
LadyNorth - 2011-07-05 5:45 PM
AKtri - 2011-07-05 2:12 PM  

Hardest part for me is from the main street running on the road to the base of the mountain. I get naseous even thinking about it.  

Veronica - I'm confused.  Why was that the hard part?

I watched your finish but didn't hear your name announced but I'm pretty sure it was you.

Congrats - I couldn't do that - I'm vertically challenged.

Denise

Denise - I can understand your questioning that being the hard part. I guess it is more mental. The street is about 3/4 mile with an uphill grade to the base of the mountain. Once at the base it is a steep grade that you must climb. If you are not in the front of the group to the base of the mountain you have to politely get ahead of all the others in front of you otherwise you are literally following their butt up the mountain. There are few places to pass and it takes a lot of energy to do so. I'm a pretty good hiker/climber once on the mountain but I cant get myself to sprint to the base of the mountain.

Actually this may help, it is similar to the feeling I have at triathlons. I am pretty nervous until I am in the water and through the swim. Once I'm through that run on the road and hit the mountain, the nerves are gone.

This year I did my warmup with some pickups closer to start time and I believe it helped both the nerves and getting that "first wind" to get me to the base.

On the video, the announcer was about midway on the last stretch and the video camera was catching us as we were finishing so I did notice the names are said a bit before you see the person in the video. So I'm pretty sure you did see me come into the finish.

Anytime any of you are in Alaska and have time for a side trip, would love to take you on a hike, Mt Marathon or something closer. I look forward to hearing from Lisa to see what she was able to experience on her trip.

Now back to flat land for a while.

2011-07-05 10:59 PM

User image

Champion

VERONICA -

Wow. Great report, greater accomplishment!

I agree with Denise about two things": wondering why that part through town as the toughest, and being vertically-challenged. As for the up and down splits, just thinking about barreling down so fast makes my knees ache and my quads scream. Yikes!

When you refer to another successful season under your belt, does that mean this is it for your racing for '11?

And I'm sorry you missed crossing paths with Lisa...although that makes me feel a bit better about her not even trying to make it to Ottawa or Montreal!

Finally, what shape is your lower body in a few days after an event such as that. Are you living an ice-bath existence??

2011-07-05 11:03 PM
in reply to: #3582202

User image

Champion

JOE -

Good to hear from you, glad you're sounding fine. That riding group sounds ideal, especially with a no-drop policy. A woman in my other active group is part of a less kindly group near DC, but fortuntately for her there is another regular rider of similar ability who stays with her and vice versa.

I have never done a group ride. I live in the boonies, and getting to places where they happen just doesn't work. I suppose I would enjoy it if I did it, but........

Congrats on signing up for those races. That's a nice infusion of incentive you gave yourself!

2011-07-05 11:10 PM
in reply to: #3582241

User image

Champion

DENISE -

You skulker, you! Well, i can't say I'm surprised, as I think on a couple of occasions last year you saw my cyber-posted results before I did. A voyeur at heart!

Your status for Racine sounds great, as does your thoughts about how to balance the bike and the run. My quick recommnedation is to start the bike comfortably, and then from about mile 10 or so on, build as you see fit. Keep at a comfortable edge (I know, that kind of sounds like an oxymoron) until mile 50, and then start biking off incrementally. Then at mile 54/55, begin varying your cadence and riding style (sitting/standing) so as to wake up the muscles that wil be needed for the run.

If you can't temember what I said about this in the past, PLEASE ask me to clarify it more before Racine. It's actually a topic I should shoot out to the group at large, and it's one I told Canon I would mention to him. So, I think I will do that real soon --- even if you don't need it!

A new bike! I think you mentioned that before, but I forgot. I recommend Cervelo, FWIW!

2011-07-06 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3575975

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

Sorry to hear that the hip is still bothering you.  Seems as though you have suffered your fair share of injuries that have hampered your racing over the years.  So you are due a break, I hope things clear up soon.

Great comments on incremental improvement.  One of the nice things about being a newbie to the sport is if we are willing to get out there and do the work then we can actually see the results of our work pretty rapidly (i.e.. via performance improvements).  As we progress up the performance curve I imagine those improvements are harder and harder to come by as you mentioned.  Not specific to you but generally at some point I guess we will all have to face the day when we are not going to be faster than we were the year before. 

I sense from your comments about yoga and what you have accomplished in triathlon you are a very passionate person.  Love and enjoy what your doing.  Yoga, triathlon, or just jumping on you bike to be outside.  To me that's the key.  

stevebradley - 2011-06-30 9:11 PM DENISE - Well, yeah. There's the residual hip/groin thing for which I FINALLY received a cortisone injection about 16 days ago, and I'm still waiting to see how it will resilve itself. It seems to be improved.....but not 100%. And to think I was hoping for 110%! I haven't been on the bike in 11 days, and prior to that was a pretty good layoff, too. The race I did on June 12 showed me to still have good bike strength, but at this point I can't help but think it is not what it should be. The race I had planned for last Sunday didn't happen for me. The day before, in an Ashtanga Yoga class, I torqued my knee too much doing Ardha Baddha Padma Pashimottanasana (Ha! I don't really know that one by heart, and just looked it up! ) and felt a pop on the medial side of my knee, or just below it. It was fairly sore afterwards, and it was kind of a no-brainer to not push it in a race, even a sprint. It still hurt for a couple more days, and I started worrying about my MCL. Then Tuesday I noticed bruising below the site of the pop, and that made me feel better -- along with the fact that walking and going up and down stairs didn't hurt at all. I ran on it today and it seemed to do fine, so I'm wondering if maybe all I did was pop a blood vessel? I'm still wary, but feeling better about it daily. I had thought about doing an oly this weekend, but just don't feel it is worth it to drive 2:15 each way for a race that is "C"-priority at best. I might do one next weekend, but I wouldn't count on it. So, more and more, this season is turning into a "step-back" season -- something I have never before allowed myself. There are some real money-saving aspects involved in this, but mostly I think I'm just tired of how hard I have pushed myself the past few seasons. I wish I had more to offer the group here in terms of racing accounts, and to make that feeling even worse....I haven't posted a race report for any of the three races I HAVE done! Slack, slacker, slackest! I'm still loving/craving Yoga, and it;'s funny how many similarities I see between how I am approaching that now as compared to how I approached triathlon way back when. I should probably ratlle through that sometime on these pages, but........ Navel-gazing about triathlon, I ahd gotten myself to a point where big changes in performance just weren't going to happen, short of having a coach whho could really push me hard. I was still improving, but those improvements were very incremental -- my progress had become as leisurely as the drifting of the continents (to paraphrase T.C. Boyle). With Yoga, though, the area for reasonable improvement is vast, and I guess I like having that arrayed before me; what a smorgasborg of challenges! Blah, blah, blah --- And aren't you sorry you asked? (But thanks for asking!!)

Edited by junthank 2011-07-06 8:40 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57