BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-02-10 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED

I am back and still doing my thing.  Not much time to post anything other than a quick update to my workout log.  Still working on getting the Wife on board for IM Louisville but I think she is finally turning the corner.  I also have a new angle on how to pay for at least  part of it through fundraising for a local charity.  More on that to come.

Week 3 of build for me this week and then a little break.  Will likely focus on swimming some next week since I have not been doing much of it lately.  I have really enjoyed getting out on the bike though.  I managed a 3 outdoor rides over the last few weeks which is typically unheard of in Jan/Feb.  Global Warming, I <3 you!

Our Tri club is planning a 6 hour ran-a-thon at the end of the month to up our mileage for this USAT Team Challenge.  Rented a clubhouse at a nearby park with a 3 mile trail to run on.  Plan is to just come out socialize and run as much as you can during the 6 hours.  

Next weekend is my first Triathlon that I am considering.  It's a reverse so that we swim last, however, I will make a race day decision as to whether or not to go.  If it's sub 30 degrees, I am going spinning with my tri club indoors.

2012-02-10 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4040796

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Brian - nice to hear you are doing well. I am jealous you are doing a race next weekend - have fun and keep us posted on how it goes and good luck with the IML campaign.

KC

Batlou - 2012-02-10 3:27 PM

I am back and still doing my thing.  Not much time to post anything other than a quick update to my workout log.  Still working on getting the Wife on board for IM Louisville but I think she is finally turning the corner.  I also have a new angle on how to pay for at least  part of it through fundraising for a local charity.  More on that to come.

Week 3 of build for me this week and then a little break.  Will likely focus on swimming some next week since I have not been doing much of it lately.  I have really enjoyed getting out on the bike though.  I managed a 3 outdoor rides over the last few weeks which is typically unheard of in Jan/Feb.  Global Warming, I

Our Tri club is planning a 6 hour ran-a-thon at the end of the month to up our mileage for this USAT Team Challenge.  Rented a clubhouse at a nearby park with a 3 mile trail to run on.  Plan is to just come out socialize and run as much as you can during the 6 hours.  

Next weekend is my first Triathlon that I am considering.  It's a reverse so that we swim last, however, I will make a race day decision as to whether or not to go.  If it's sub 30 degrees, I am going spinning with my tri club indoors.

2012-02-10 4:46 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team. I have a question for all you bikers out there - did my ride today and decided to do some one leg drills on the bike but I noticed a very interesting thing - Damn those are tough Yell. However, seriously, even though they can be tough I noticed that I am much smoother with my left leg than my right? Why is that? I just figured that my right leg would do a better job of it. Any legitimate reason for this? (Just curious)

Thanks team - have a great weekend.

KC

2012-02-10 6:53 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

I guess this is the start to the run at IMNYC. Wow.

KC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=poBXtE296tw

2012-02-10 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4041350

User image

Veteran
kcgolf - 2012-02-10 7:53 PM

KC

That is a beautiful path.  Not that you are going to be noticing your surroundings, but great scenery nevertheless.

2012-02-10 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran

Very frustrated this week - My hip / back/groin is all kinked up and giving me fits.  I have not really run much in the last few weeks.  swimming a bunch more, but because I am not able to run, i have lost my motivation to do much else.  Hoping the Chiro work will kick in and I will be able to start up again late next week.

Fun Fact Friday - I did a summer program job at Disney World in 1994.  Got to explore the underworld of the Magic Kingdom and dress up in Italian clothes everyday.  Poured cappucino for guests watching the parades every afternoon and evening.  It was then that i realized the world would be a better place if everyone wore nametags.

2012-02-10 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4041153

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
kcgolf - 2012-02-10 5:46 PM

Hey Team. I have a question for all you bikers out there - did my ride today and decided to do some one leg drills on the bike but I noticed a very interesting thing - Damn those are tough Yell. However, seriously, even though they can be tough I noticed that I am much smoother with my left leg than my right? Why is that? I just figured that my right leg would do a better job of it. Any legitimate reason for this? (Just curious)

Thanks team - have a great weekend.

KC

you may mash more with the right (guessing your dominate leg) So it does not have to be as smooth

2012-02-10 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4041408

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-02-10 8:46 PM

Very frustrated this week - My hip / back/groin is all kinked up and giving me fits.  I have not really run much in the last few weeks.  swimming a bunch more, but because I am not able to run, i have lost my motivation to do much else.  Hoping the Chiro work will kick in and I will be able to start up again late next week.

Fun Fact Friday - I did a summer program job at Disney World in 1994.  Got to explore the underworld of the Magic Kingdom and dress up in Italian clothes everyday.  Poured cappucino for guests watching the parades every afternoon and evening.  It was then that i realized the world would be a better place if everyone wore nametags.

Hang in there!  We are all falling apart.  Why were you in Italian clothes?

2012-02-11 6:09 AM
in reply to: #4041490

User image

Veteran
razorxp - 2012-02-10 10:02 PM
Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-02-10 8:46 PM

Hang in there!  We are all falling apart.  Why were you in Italian clothes?

Worked in Tony's Town Square Cafe.  Based on the movie "Lady and the Tramp"  We even had a silloette of the 2 dogs sharing their famous pasta kiss behind the restaurant.

2012-02-11 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
I have a little secret to share especially this time of year. We have been using Emergen'C for over 10 years in our house. I know word is spreading because I received a sample in a race packet last year, most stores are carrying their own generic version and this year started seeing commercials. Honestly I think they owe me money for talking about their product on the Internet for the last 10 years...................................... My girls are homeschooled but take classes with other kids 3 days a week play sports and are in scouts. I also have two teenagers one in CC and one in HS. We have never had a full house illness. Of my 5 children only one has ever had an antibiotic and that was 13 years ago. My oldest got his first cold at 16 years old.......................................I am realizing this could have been my weird fact Friday post.............................................Had a pretty good training week but missed a swim and a trainer ride. I am supposed to do a short run today but might hop on the trainer instead. If I get real optimistic I might do both. Today is also the first game of volleyball, I m coaching 2 of my daughters ---- Go Heat!
2012-02-11 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4041400

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Brian.

Well - I am hoping ti enjoy some of it LOL.

Hope you get better soon - hang in there and take care of that body.

Cool fact and neat job at Disney - what was the under ground like or are you sworn to secrecy Laughing. How old were you when you did that job? I lived in Orlando a long time ago and dated a girl who's Dad worked there and so did she. I don't remember what she did though and she never did take me on a tour unfortunately.

KC

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-02-10 8:42 PM
kcgolf - 2012-02-10 7:53 PM

KC

That is a beautiful path.  Not that you are going to be noticing your surroundings, but great scenery nevertheless.

2012-02-11 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4041792

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Keri - may have to add that to my daily supplements. Thanks for the info.

KeriKadi - 2012-02-11 9:27 AM I have a little secret to share especially this time of year. We have been using Emergen'C for over 10 years in our house. I know word is spreading because I received a sample in a race packet last year, most stores are carrying their own generic version and this year started seeing commercials. Honestly I think they owe me money for talking about their product on the Internet for the last 10 years...................................... My girls are homeschooled but take classes with other kids 3 days a week play sports and are in scouts. I also have two teenagers one in CC and one in HS. We have never had a full house illness. Of my 5 children only one has ever had an antibiotic and that was 13 years ago. My oldest got his first cold at 16 years old.......................................I am realizing this could have been my weird fact Friday post.............................................Had a pretty good training week but missed a swim and a trainer ride. I am supposed to do a short run today but might hop on the trainer instead. If I get real optimistic I might do both. Today is also the first game of volleyball, I m coaching 2 of my daughters ---- Go Heat!

2012-02-11 7:34 PM

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi group,

I've been sick for the past two weeks, so haven't been up to much (I even skipped a soccer game and a softball game, which I never do..). I did run today, though - 2 sssslllooowww miles. The good news is that my cough basically held off until I stopped (of course, I then sat in my car coughing for several minutes) AND that it was -14 (-20 with the windchill), so I earned some points for the Crappy Weather Challenge.

Hope everyone is enjoying training..

2012-02-12 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4042476

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

hgroudreau- You DEFINETELY get points for the Crappy Weather Challenge!!  I was supposed to run in an 8k yesterday, and definetely wussed out.  I have been struggling with a cold/sinus infection thing since Monday and decided that -12 was a little too cold to run an 8k in.  What do you even wear for running in that cold of weather?  I was planning to run indoors yesterday instead, but ended up taking a friend to the ER instead (they are fine thankfully!).

I went to two workouts this weekend for one of my tri teams- the one on Friday was a spin and swim.  I was super excited because at the end, our coach went over how to do a flip turn, and by the end of class, I was actually doing flip turns! (even if I was scraping against the bottom of the pool, I did it!! )

Today was the bike and boot camp, and it was brutal.  Glad I didn't get that run in, otherwise I don't think I would have survived today.

I went to REI this weekend to get a couple different types of nutrition to try.  So far, I have tried the Honey Stinger Vanilla waffle (yummy!) and the new Luna bar honey pretzel peanut (also good).  They had the Ironman Perform bottles on sale for .43, so I stocked up on those as well.

2012-02-12 3:40 PM

User image

SE North Carolina
7 miles today, super cold, 27 degrees when I left the truck, my time was super slow but the furthest I've run to date without stopping, so I wasn't to disappointed.....
2012-02-12 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4043161

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Jennifers - 2012-02-12 1:42 PM

hgroudreau- You DEFINETELY get points for the Crappy Weather Challenge!!  I was supposed to run in an 8k yesterday, and definetely wussed out.  I have been struggling with a cold/sinus infection thing since Monday and decided that -12 was a little too cold to run an 8k in.  What do you even wear for running in that cold of weather?  I was planning to run indoors yesterday instead, but ended up taking a friend to the ER instead (they are fine thankfully!).

I went to two workouts this weekend for one of my tri teams- the one on Friday was a spin and swim.  I was super excited because at the end, our coach went over how to do a flip turn, and by the end of class, I was actually doing flip turns! (even if I was scraping against the bottom of the pool, I did it!! )

Today was the bike and boot camp, and it was brutal.  Glad I didn't get that run in, otherwise I don't think I would have survived today.

I went to REI this weekend to get a couple different types of nutrition to try.  So far, I have tried the Honey Stinger Vanilla waffle (yummy!) and the new Luna bar honey pretzel peanut (also good).  They had the Ironman Perform bottles on sale for .43, so I stocked up on those as well.

Jennifers - I'm in Canada, so I was talking in Celcius (which works out to 10 degrees fahrenheit, feeling like -4).. but to answer your question, since I have run in colder weather, the key is lots of thin layers.  For example, yesterday I ran with long johns and running pants (if it had been colder, I would have added another layer of wind pants) on the bottom; a long-sleeved running shirt, fleece and wind-proof running coat on top (if it had been colder, I would have added another thin shirt to the mix); two pairs of socks (running socks with warm hiking socks on top); a tuque, face warmer, mittens, my ipod and garmin.  I would say the double layer of socks is key, otherwise your feet just get cold. I do start off feeling a bit cold, but once I get going, I find I warm up pretty fast. 

Congrats on the flip turns! That's something I've never learned how to do. Oh, and I completely agree with you on the honey stinger waffles. They are also really good if you put them over your coffee or tea (it warms them up a little and melts the inside)... Have you tried the honey stinger gels? I bought one a while ago, but haven't run long enough to need gels, so it's been sitting in my sports drawer..

2012-02-12 7:14 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Heather – nice work, hope you make a complete 100% recovery soon.

Jenn – nice work- I have not tried the Luna bar Honey Pretzel Peanut – let us know what they are like and send us a video of you doing a flip turn – I don’t do them because I have not been able to figure it out, hell I am still trying to figure out how to swim LOL.

Mandown – way to go and nice to see you.

As far as what is up with me – 2 weeks of IM training down, 3rd week started today – so far, knock wood, all is good and am fairly healthy – a few minor aches and pains but what else is new LOL.

Have a great week of training everyone – for those of you that are under the weather – get better and for those of you that are not – stay healthy and we should all take a page out of Keri's book and get some Emergen C Smile.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-02-12 7:18 PM
2012-02-13 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Hi,

Workouts are going well.  Back in a tempo of 4X bike, 2X swim, 3X run.  3X strength.  The kettlebells continue to do a number on my body and thanks for it.  As of yesterday's weigh-in, I'm down 12 pounds since starting k bells and paleo on Jan. 1.  I've noticed a tempo to the losses...two weeks slow or steady, third week a dramatic drop...repeat.

I will say that I am under 2200 every day, somethings as low as 1700 like yesterday and burning 3200 like yesterday.  Evidently my body has shifted to burning fat well.  I seem to have plenty of energy. Sleeping well but for frequent trips to the bathroom which I attribute to the weight loss and hydration.  When losing, a byproduct seems to be water. 

My scale measures body fat and it has stayed around 10% ...as inaccurate as it may be, the measure should be relative and show that I am NOT losing muscle as I drop weight thanks to the strength training.  

I test again on the bike next week before entering another phase of training. I'll be interested in seeing how I do.  But I am more pain free than ever, which I also attribute to greater strength. 

All good. 

I am done at work after next week.  Then I look. Actually already started.  Looking at teaching journalism, etc. 

How about Lance, eh?  A beast.  Love the guy. 

IceMan
2012-02-13 3:40 PM

User image

Regular

Hey everyone!  Sorry I've been MIA.  Hubby and I spent almost a week in Las Vegas for our 12th anniversary and had a wonderful time seeing shows and whatnot.  Only gambled away $6 - we both have bad luck, so we know better.  Ate like a pig while we were there, but did a ton of walking, so I gained just less than a pound. 

Got home and saw my coach, and then got started on his 1300 calorie meal plan, which has been great.  I'm a notoriously bad eater, so this is exactly what I've been needing.  And I'm already down 3-4 pounds after just a few days.  I had plateaued at around 173, but now I'm just under the 170 mark, so I'm stoked.  Pretty dang tough to eat right, though, when most the people in this house eat terrible.  This weekend, I faced homemade bread, homemade biscotti, pancakes, bacon, eating out at Red Robin, Starbucks, and the list goes on.  But I was exceptionally well-behaved!!!

So, my first ever half marathon is coming up in 4 weeks, and I'm really nervous about it.  Just don't know if that's really enough time to get conditioned for it.  I've obviously been working on my training, but I kinda started behind the curve.  The most mileage I've done at one time is about 7.7 miles of run/walk.  Saturday was 7.3 miles, and I felt mostly good, but could tell that my hip flexor and other muscles were a bit cranky.  Just hoping I can really do 13.1 by March 11th without hurting myself.  Gonna try about 8.5 miles next weekend, and keep boosting it up each weekend, with slightly shorter workouts inbetween. 

Oh, I'm Chatty Cathy here.  But one more thing.  I saw my Oncologist a few days ago for my 6 month check-up, and all is well!!!  Bloodwork, exam, etc.  I'm doing great, and he even noticed that I'd lost more weight and wanted to make sure that I was actually *trying* to lose weight, LOL!  So life is GRAND, and cancer can kiss my a$$!!!

2012-02-13 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4044020

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey IceManScott - you are a motivating machine my friend. Keep up the awesome work, you keep us all on our toes. Good luck with the job hunt.

IceManScott - 2012-02-13 8:32 AM Hi,

Workouts are going well.  Back in a tempo of 4X bike, 2X swim, 3X run.  3X strength.  The kettlebells continue to do a number on my body and thanks for it.  As of yesterday's weigh-in, I'm down 12 pounds since starting k bells and paleo on Jan. 1.  I've noticed a tempo to the losses...two weeks slow or steady, third week a dramatic drop...repeat.

I will say that I am under 2200 every day, somethings as low as 1700 like yesterday and burning 3200 like yesterday.  Evidently my body has shifted to burning fat well.  I seem to have plenty of energy. Sleeping well but for frequent trips to the bathroom which I attribute to the weight loss and hydration.  When losing, a byproduct seems to be water. 

My scale measures body fat and it has stayed around 10% ...as inaccurate as it may be, the measure should be relative and show that I am NOT losing muscle as I drop weight thanks to the strength training.  

I test again on the bike next week before entering another phase of training. I'll be interested in seeing how I do.  But I am more pain free than ever, which I also attribute to greater strength. 

All good. 

I am done at work after next week.  Then I look. Actually already started.  Looking at teaching journalism, etc. 

How about Lance, eh?  A beast.  Love the guy. 

IceMan
2012-02-13 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4045415

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Nice to see you Monique and sounds like you had a great time in Vegas - $6 bucks, is that even possible or are you going with the what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas line? Laughing

As far as the HM is concerned, just train smart and don't push yourself to a place you can not handle.

Congrats on the clean bill of health.

MoniqueGriffith - 2012-02-13 4:40 PM

Hey everyone!  Sorry I've been MIA.  Hubby and I spent almost a week in Las Vegas for our 12th anniversary and had a wonderful time seeing shows and whatnot.  Only gambled away $6 - we both have bad luck, so we know better.  Ate like a pig while we were there, but did a ton of walking, so I gained just less than a pound. 

Got home and saw my coach, and then got started on his 1300 calorie meal plan, which has been great.  I'm a notoriously bad eater, so this is exactly what I've been needing.  And I'm already down 3-4 pounds after just a few days.  I had plateaued at around 173, but now I'm just under the 170 mark, so I'm stoked.  Pretty dang tough to eat right, though, when most the people in this house eat terrible.  This weekend, I faced homemade bread, homemade biscotti, pancakes, bacon, eating out at Red Robin, Starbucks, and the list goes on.  But I was exceptionally well-behaved!!!

So, my first ever half marathon is coming up in 4 weeks, and I'm really nervous about it.  Just don't know if that's really enough time to get conditioned for it.  I've obviously been working on my training, but I kinda started behind the curve.  The most mileage I've done at one time is about 7.7 miles of run/walk.  Saturday was 7.3 miles, and I felt mostly good, but could tell that my hip flexor and other muscles were a bit cranky.  Just hoping I can really do 13.1 by March 11th without hurting myself.  Gonna try about 8.5 miles next weekend, and keep boosting it up each weekend, with slightly shorter workouts inbetween. 

Oh, I'm Chatty Cathy here.  But one more thing.  I saw my Oncologist a few days ago for my 6 month check-up, and all is well!!!  Bloodwork, exam, etc.  I'm doing great, and he even noticed that I'd lost more weight and wanted to make sure that I was actually *trying* to lose weight, LOL!  So life is GRAND, and cancer can kiss my a$$!!!

2012-02-13 5:30 PM

User image

New user
Chicago, IL

Hi everyone!  I started a new training plan and am getting past the initial learning curve of training with this new group so I've been out of touch for the last couple weeks.  My new plan is focused on intensity vs. volume and includes 5 training days a week (3 bikes, 4 runs, no swims) It's my 3rd week on the plan and so far so good!  Today is my rest day but my hip flexors feel really tight so I'll be stretching those out on the foam roller tonight.  Tomorrow is threshold work on the bike, 3x8min @ 95-100%, and then a 20 min run at easy pace. 

I was supposed to run yesterday but instead went up to WI for some XC skiing.  Lapham Peak trails were icy and some parts were not even snow covered so it made things a little difficult.  I hope we get some snow so I can practice at least one more time before the 23K at the end of this month. 

In other news, I got a new bike today!  Instead of slapping aeros on my road bike, I figured I'm going to be in this triathlon thing for the long haul so I should just get a TT bike Laughing 

Hope everyone that's under the weather gets better soon! 

(4823-DEFAULT-L2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
4823-DEFAULT-L2.jpg (32KB - 6 downloads)
2012-02-13 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Sara- SWEET BIKE!  I want a tri bike, but my husband has put his foot down rather strongly about that one for now...being that I already dropped the IMWI entry fee, plus a new wetsuit and other entry fees, I guess I will wait...

We are getting snow up here in Milwaukee today...too bad it didn't come a day earlier for your skiing!  I love going out to Lapham Peak to run in the summer months- I love trail running and have had some awesome workouts there!

hgroudreau- Thanks for the layering advice!  I really don't tolerate the cold well at all, and the way the wind was ripping Saturday I was trying to imagine running in my parka!

kcgolf- I'll see if i can figure the video thing out- I have had others try unsuccessfully to teach me a flip turn, and sometimes it turned out horribly (such as giving myself a black eye by trying to flip over a lane line :P) but our coach had us start with the end of the turn first...so we practiced pushing off the wall on our back, then turning onto our stomach and swimming from there.  Once we had that, we practiced somersaults in the water away from the wall, and then a half turn away from the wall where we flipped to our back.  Once we had that, then we tried swimming to the wall and trying it, and it worked!!  I'm excited to go to Masters tomorrow morning and practice diving in and flip turns.  Oh, the little things in life!

I got a new Spinerval this week- it's a "virtual reality course" dvd of the IMWI course.  I am going to give it a try tomorrow for my bike workout- we are going out for sushi for V-day tomorrow and I won't have time to go ride the computrainer before dinner.  I'll report back with how the DVD is.

Have a great night!

2012-02-13 7:21 PM

User image

SE North Carolina
awesome bike, my friend loves his new b16 good luck with it.....
2012-02-14 7:15 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Nice bike Sarah - have a name for it yet? Smile.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-02-14 11:48 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43