BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-07-12 5:12 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED

Originally posted by Hubbie Hello everyone! Well it's been a rollercoaster of a time here. A few days ago my kid flipped backwards off some metal bars landing on concrete and striking his head. After being evaluated at our local emergency room (yes the one I work at) it was determined that he had a bad concussion. But his symptoms where so bad the doc didn't feel comfortable admitting him. So that meant a transport to the children's hospital 100 miles away in a special ambulance for further neuro consultation. They said the same thing g but just to make sure he spent the night in the hospital. We are home now but he still has signs of not being well. In fact he played for 60 minutes today and it completely wiped him out. He's sleeping in my lap now. So I really haven't been training and I have a race on Sunday. This will be interesting. Beth

Beth, I hope he gets better soon! Kids are so resiliant but they can be so pathetic and sad when they're not well. As  for the race this weekend...well, as Todd said, if you can't make the race and need to stay home and help him heal, there are always more races. It's easy to find another race, not so easy to find another son. And if you can race, perhaps the enforced days off training (not real rest, I know) will give you a bit of extra fuel in your tank. 

2013-07-12 12:25 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

New user
Ditto Beth. I hope he gets better soon!
2013-07-12 12:25 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

New user
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Well Turtles, I gave Lucille a bit of a face lift. I said when I bought her that I would run the cheap tires it had on it up until my half if they would make it. I said the same about the bar tape it had on it. Well here she is almost 1000 miles later with some new Michelin Pro 4 Tires, Lizard Skin Tape, a full tune-up and brand new Ultegra Chain because the other was stretched.

I figured with the pace I move at the bike better look good and be a bit flashy because people are going to have a while to look at it while this turtle slowly goes by.
It's Turtle green! Very nice!
2013-07-12 12:30 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

New user
@Taringa – half marathon, done!! WTG!

@corbetjackson – congrats on the new shoes and the new job

@Lovey - constantly amazed at all you juggle!

Wow, it's amazing how easily you can get sidetracked by life, right? I'm hating my day job and the work load is CRAZYTOWN. I've been somewhat sticking to my training plan. The countdown is on - Tri in less than 5 weeks! I'm seriously considering transferring my registration to 2014 as the swimming is absolutely not coming along. Still in class, still swimming like a rock (okay not quite a rock still, but the freestyle is not happening). Giving it my all through the end of the month then making the call.
2013-07-13 5:23 AM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
If you're happier with another stroke for the swim, just go with it. If breaststroke is your strongest, there's nothing to stop you doing it for the entire swim leg. And you get to see where you're going Smile.
2013-07-13 10:54 AM

User image

This mornings practice ring went great! we had about 28 people show up for it. The hills were brutal but i conqured them. I actually never got passed. I however passed about 8 + or -. A couple of us had a near miss when a flock of geese decided to cross the road at the bottom of a hill. I was in my fastest gear and in aero position when they decided. I came almost to a dead stop and then had to gather myself and get to an easier gear to climb yet another.brutal hill with no momentum to carry myself up. The run was a different story. Even after a 20 minute transition waiting for the rest of the group and catching our breath I walked around half of the run course which was also very hilly. The race is two weeks away! I Will probably only do a light run jog tomorrow before i resume training hard.

2013-07-13 6:42 PM
in reply to: 0

*deleted*

Edited by RZ0 2013-07-13 6:43 PM
2013-07-13 6:45 PM

Originally posted by corbetjackson50

This mornings practice ring went great! we had about 28 people show up for it. The hills were brutal but i conqured them. I actually never got passed. I however passed about 8 + or -. A couple of us had a near miss when a flock of geese decided to cross the road at the bottom of a hill. I was in my fastest gear and in aero position when they decided. I came almost to a dead stop and then had to gather myself and get to an easier gear to climb yet another.brutal hill with no momentum to carry myself up. The run was a different story. Even after a 20 minute transition waiting for the rest of the group and catching our breath I walked around half of the run course which was also very hilly. The race is two weeks away! I Will probably only do a light run jog tomorrow before i resume training hard.

Congratulations! I looked at your bike route. That hill around mile seven is pretty intense - 100 feet in a quarter mile. Congrats on conquering it.
Like you, my race is in two weeks. Fortunately, it's along the seashore, so the bike route is flat.

Edited by RZ0 2013-07-13 6:51 PM
2013-07-13 6:49 PM

Originally posted by Taringa

Originally posted by Hubbie Hello everyone! Well it's been a rollercoaster of a time here. A few days ago my kid flipped backwards off some metal bars landing on concrete and striking his head. After being evaluated at our local emergency room (yes the one I work at) it was determined that he had a bad concussion. But his symptoms where so bad the doc didn't feel comfortable admitting him. So that meant a transport to the children's hospital 100 miles away in a special ambulance for further neuro consultation. They said the same thing g but just to make sure he spent the night in the hospital. We are home now but he still has signs of not being well. In fact he played for 60 minutes today and it completely wiped him out. He's sleeping in my lap now. So I really haven't been training and I have a race on Sunday. This will be interesting. Beth

Beth, I hope he gets better soon! Kids are so resiliant but they can be so pathetic and sad when they're not well. As  for the race this weekend...well, as Todd said, if you can't make the race and need to stay home and help him heal, there are always more races. It's easy to find another race, not so easy to find another son. And if you can race, perhaps the enforced days off training (not real rest, I know) will give you a bit of extra fuel in your tank. 

Very scary when your child gets a concussion. I went through that once or twice with mine. Follow the doctor's advice carefully - those injuries are not to be trifled with, as pro athletes are quickly learning.
I think you are being very smart in taking a conservative approach to his treatment. Much more important than your own training.
2013-07-13 9:32 PM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by iamDawnAnderson

Wow, it's amazing how easily you can get sidetracked by life, right? I'm hating my day job and the work load is CRAZYTOWN. I've been somewhat sticking to my training plan. The countdown is on - Tri in less than 5 weeks! I'm seriously considering transferring my registration to 2014 as the swimming is absolutely not coming along. Still in class, still swimming like a rock (okay not quite a rock still, but the freestyle is not happening). Giving it my all through the end of the month then making the call.

Dawn, I know this is going to should weird, but I think I would consult your swim coach closer to the event and ask them if you can safely complete it. I love that you are pushing to get ready and not just taking the easy way out and throwing in the towel long before the event's date.
2013-07-13 9:35 PM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good for you! It sound like you were maybe a little farther on the bike than you thought and got a little humbled on the run portion. Don't worry about you really seem to have the right attitude and now know just to take in this first one, learn, and enjoy it. Great Job. Also you are right, take it easy tomorrow.

2013-07-14 8:59 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Good for you! It sound like you were maybe a little farther on the bike than you thought and got a little humbled on the run portion. Don't worry about you really seem to have the right attitude and now know just to take in this first one, learn, and enjoy it. Great Job. Also you are right, take it easy tomorrow.
i could have ran the majority if not all of the run course but i kept telling myself its practice and I'm wearing new shoes with only 2 miles on them. I was ok if i was a little sore today but i didn't want to still be feeling it on Monday. So far today i feel good, not sore like i thought id be.
2013-07-14 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Hi guys! Looks like everything is going well in here since my last visit! I'm freshly back from Peru (landed yesterday) and I must say it was the best experience of my life by far. We did a lot of traveling and sightseeing but we also did a service project with young girls who have been victims of kidnapping and other types of violence. Although I didn't run, ride or swim one bit while I was gone I still managed to lose 5 pounds through hiking a mountain at Machu Picchu (seriously), walking thousands of steps and uphill both ways in little Andean towns and probably a little altitude sickness and a lot of REAL food. After adjusting to the altitude though I was really wishing I had a race on the agenda immediately since I feel like I've done some legal blood doping (haha!) Ready to tackle life full force now!
2013-07-14 7:08 PM
in reply to: Rnay225

User image

Veteran
Hello everyone!!! Today my friend, son, and myself traveled to The Iowa Games Triathlon. It went much better then expected since I didn't train for almost a week. So well in fact that I got 3ed place in my group!! Only took four years of racing to get to the podium though. I could not have asked for better conditions to race in. The water was just right, the bike course was challenging with frequent sharp turns and rolling hills. The run was hit but mostly flat. Here are my times.

Swim: 500 meters 7:30
Bike: 15 miles 51:10
Run: 5k 32:30

Here are a few pics of me accepting my metal. My son wanted at accompany me up. Of course I had taken my hair down and I looked terrible. Go figure.

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (231KB - 19 downloads)
image.jpg (197KB - 18 downloads)
2013-07-14 7:51 PM
in reply to: Rnay225

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Rnay225

Hi guys! Looks like everything is going well in here since my last visit! I'm freshly back from Peru (landed yesterday) and I must say it was the best experience of my life by far. We did a lot of traveling and sightseeing but we also did a service project with young girls who have been victims of kidnapping and other types of violence. Although I didn't run, ride or swim one bit while I was gone I still managed to lose 5 pounds through hiking a mountain at Machu Picchu (seriously), walking thousands of steps and uphill both ways in little Andean towns and probably a little altitude sickness and a lot of REAL food. After adjusting to the altitude though I was really wishing I had a race on the agenda immediately since I feel like I've done some legal blood doping (haha!) Ready to tackle life full force now!

Welcome back and glad to hear that you had a productive and memorable trip. Glad also that you got in some work by hiking Machu Picchu. Is that a mountain, I thought Picchu was a Pokeman
2013-07-14 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hubbie

Hello everyone!!! Today my friend, son, and myself traveled to The Iowa Games Triathlon. It went much better then expected since I didn't train for almost a week. So well in fact that I got 3ed place in my group!! Only took four years of racing to get to the podium though. I could not have asked for better conditions to race in. The water was just right, the bike course was challenging with frequent sharp turns and rolling hills. The run was hit but mostly flat. Here are my times.

Here are a few pics of me accepting my metal. My son wanted at accompany me up. Of course I had taken my hair down and I looked terrible. Go figure.

Impressive times Beth and way to give the Turtles some hardware. Also thrilled to see that the boy is back up and at it. I find it funny how sometimes a week off is a killer and other times it's almost exactly what we needed. The only problem I've found is that you don't know which one it's going to be until you're racing.

2013-07-15 6:13 AM

User image

Way to go Beth! That's is awesome!
2013-07-15 8:41 AM

User image

New user
Go Beth! Nicely done!
2013-07-15 12:02 PM

, Alabama

Hello everyone! Well it's been a rollercoaster of a time here. A few days ago my kid flipped backwards off some metal bars landing on concrete and striking his head. After being evaluated at our local emergency room (yes the one I work at) it was determined that he had a bad concussion. But his symptoms where so bad the doc didn't feel comfortable admitting him. So that meant a transport to the children's hospital 100 miles away in a special ambulance for further neuro consultation. They said the same thing g but just to make sure he spent the night in the hospital. We are home now but he still has signs of not being well. In fact he played for 60 minutes today and it completely wiped him out. He's sleeping in my lap now. So I really haven't been training and I have a race on Sunday. This will be interesting.

Beth

Hi I am only just seeing this as I haven't been on for a few days due to travelling. I do hope your son is recovering well. What a shock it must have been for you all. As others have said there are always other races, it is just a race after all, family is everything. Hope you are all doing ok x
2013-07-15 12:04 PM

, Alabama

And this is why I really should read all posts before I start replying!! Well done, great result and glad to see your son looking well.
2013-07-15 5:18 PM

Congratulations! You look great, and the medal is beautiful!

2013-07-15 8:23 PM
in reply to: RZ0

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Congratulations Beth! Fantastic result, and your little boy is looking well Rennay, it's great to hear you had such a good time on holiday. Sounds like a perfect mix of rest and out of the ordinary activity.
2013-07-16 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Went out for a bike ride today. On the first really big decent I hit a bad bump and mywater bottle went flying out. I didn't stop to get it cuz I needed the momentum to get up the other side. So I'm sure you can guess where I'm going here in a few minutes. Yup, got to retrieve my favourite bottle.

I had planned on doing 45 miles but 20 miles into it meets where telling me they had enough. I ended listening to my legs and stopped just shy of 25 miles. No use pushing myself and getting injured. Will attempt a run tomorrow to sed bow the legs hold up.

It seems like everyone is doing well in their training and progressing nicley. Keep up the good work everyone.
2013-07-16 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran

Edited by Hubbie 2013-07-16 11:07 AM
2013-07-16 9:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Beth, glad to hear that you did not hit the ground with your bottles.

Well Turtles It's about that time. I did a quick spin tonight because it was raining, which was not the 20 mile ride I wanted, but as we have discussed I'm going to look at it as happening for a reason. I have and will continue to pack tonight for us to leave out in the morning. 20 Hour drive over two days, and hopefully my back does not act up on me. I am very excited and equally or more some nervous. Part of me feels like I got this and then the other side says I can likely do it but did not do near enough or what I should have. I still feel like I have earned the right to toe the line on Sunday and will feel the same when I cross the finish line regardless of what the clock shows. I am going to try to continue to post and stay active, but will be working off wifi and a kindle, so it may be sketchy from time to time. It's getting closer to Turtle Time for me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45