General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-05-03 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4990987

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
If I wasn't sidelined on running, this would have been a Brick morning. In order to get some lemonade out of all this, I decided to make a distance ride to prep for my 40 mile TDC - Memphis ride on 5-31.

I went 25.7mi in 1:42:56 putting me square on 15mph. I have to admit I'm a bit tired. I did have a quick bite before I left, but only had water with me this time. Also had to stop at mile 11 to take off my hoodie because the temp rose a bit. Not my longest ride, but my longest on this bike. The tri shorts actually made the ride quite a bit more comfortable at the end.

2014-05-03 2:25 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

WFF,

I know your challenged running.
You need to do calf stretching and calf raises to prep yourself for post T2.

TRUST ME IT WAS THE BEST ADVICE I GOT GOING INTO THIS!!!!

• for me today
    25 min weights - Shoulders
    Arnold presses / flys /rear delt flys

then changed it up a bit
    30 min on the elyptical
    warmup
    22 min HiiT alternating med and high cadence
    cooldown.
    I was dripping at the end so I put the work in!
  • Then burned a ton of calories watching the Bruins game.
    Yeah - heart pounding action!
    2014-05-03 3:14 PM
    in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

IN SEARCH OF THE PERFECT GOGGLES.. Any recommendations? I think I have asked this q many times and haven't been too successful.

I have tried 3 so far and am not thrilled with any of them. I teven tried those big ones that look like a divers mask (not very comfy). The best has been the Nestor by TYR.

My issue looking like a raccoon for the entire day after I swim. I am 49 and the skin just won't go back. It's getting worse because my swims are longer now (60 minutes).

BTW- did a 10k fun run and had to walk after mile 2. Last week I did 15 miles and this week I can't even do two. Feeling a bit frustrated...(thanks for letting me rant.

Donna
    2014-05-03 5:47 PM
    in reply to: luvschips

User image

Yardville, NJ
    Originally posted by luvschips

IN SEARCH OF THE PERFECT GOGGLES.. Any recommendations? I think I have asked this q many times and haven't been too successful.

I have tried 3 so far and am not thrilled with any of them. I teven tried those big ones that look like a divers mask (not very comfy). The best has been the Nestor by TYR.

My issue looking like a raccoon for the entire day after I swim. I am 49 and the skin just won't go back. It's getting worse because my swims are longer now (60 minutes).

BTW- did a 10k fun run and had to walk after mile 2. Last week I did 15 miles and this week I can't even do two. Feeling a bit frustrated...(thanks for letting me rant.

Donna

TYR Nest Pro were my "go to" goggles, until I got my prescription goggles.

Bummer about the run. What do you think happened? Just tired, not recovered from the 15 miles? Did you hurt anything on the 15?
    2014-05-04 9:59 PM
    in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Donna,
    Latest info in this weeks Triathlete mag - eye width is key to goggle fit.
    -Don't know what will fit you, but try many.

Did you recover from your 15 miler before doing the 10k?

• 11 mile bike followed by a single mile run for me.

Although Im feeling good, I can still tell I haven't fully recovered from the flu!

Or I should say regained my losses?
    2014-05-04 11:57 PM

User image

Regular
    Florence, Arizona
    Silver member

Hi there, I hope I'm not too late to join? I've been reading the blogs for a little while & this group looks awesome! Here's my story...

Name: Helen

Story: was doing great (my great is defined as finishing an event, not placing anywhere close to the front of the pack) with tri's, races,crossfit, anything & everything until I fell off my bike in 2011 and hurt both wrists quite badly. The right one still hasn't healed and I probably won't be able to bear weight on it for life, after spending thousands on therapy. And the weight slowly crept on because I couldn't bike ride, swim, strength train...then I injured my achilles in 2012 which hasn't healed either and probably won't, after spending another thousand or so on therapy. I said goodbye to my 2013 ironman registration, that was a sad day, especially since you can't give your registration to someone else. Then as I thought I could start long walks and maybe a few mintues of running, I stubbed my toe (sounds ridiculous), which took 9 months for the swelling to go down. Just as I was about to start running again, I ripped up my hip flexors and quad doing some lunges during a body blast class which I had resumed teaching after 2 years and thought I was Queen Sh*t who could pull off more than she was capable of. 2014 roles around...injuries have settled to a point where I could take on small amounts of running so I started instructing a beginner's 5km clinic to "force" me to get out and train. I could feel every step but nothing too serious as long as I kept it slow & had frequent walk breaks. And now, 40 pounds later (because I never could manage to injure my ironman-sized appetitie), I need help getting motivated to get back into the triathlon groove again.

I think it's actually more vanity than anything, my husband's high school reunion is in August and I feel terribly ashamed that nothing fits and I look & feel like, well, nothing like I looked like 2-3 years ago. And any excuse not to get back into the routine...I had to take on extra work to support my mom during her illness, I'm tired, I'm this, I'm that. Blah Blah Blah. I don't seem to be able to snap out of my lazy cycle, all my life I was very active until this past couple of years.

Long story short, I want my fitness back!

Family: Most wonderful husband of 3 years, 18 yr old son & 17 yr old step son. I'm very very lucky to have these guys in my life.  

Current training: I print out training schedules, I import them into my account, I redo them every week because I still haven't started training. I'll probably import the same schedule again tonight in preparation of tomorrow's renewed motivation which will hopefully last longer than noon this time.

Races for 2014: It's almost too late for anything in my area, I missed a mini triathlon this weekend because I didn't train for it. But, since it was snowing (yeah, I know, we didn't get spring this year), I'm not to upset about it. I'll poke around and see if I can find one, but for now I just need to get back into a good training schedule.

Weightloss/goals...I need to shed 40-50 pounds. I'm 5'3" and touching 180. My diet isn't too unhealthy, I just eat like I'm still training for ironman which would be ok...if I was training for one. 

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading your posts, looking forward to being part of them!

Helen

2014-05-05 7:57 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Helen! Welcome!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was my monday play time at the Y. I ended up pretty wiped after my 1000yds on friday, so I'm scaling back until after my sprint, but it's nice to know I have the distance in me. I took off this morning a little quick. I ended up hyperventilating myself at 200yds. I took that for a warmup, and jumped back in at my usual, slower pace. Knocked off 500, did kick drills 50x2, another 500, another set of kick drills 50x2 and called it a morning. I did not watch the clock this morning other than my first 200 (4:30) and to make it to work on time. If you look at the one time I did keep track of, you'll not that I was going about 2:15/100 when my normal pace is about 12:00 for 450 and that's a 2:40/100 pace... no wonder I got out of sorts. When I first started, the lifeguard on duty at the Y gave me a few pointers that morning. This morning, I told him about the 1000 and thanked him for his help. His comment was that he's noted that I've been getting stronger and stronger in the water. Very gratifying to hear!

Oh, yeah....
    Since we are now in May...
    12 DAYS!!!

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-05-05 8:00 AM
    2014-05-05 8:28 AM

User image

congrats on the 1000 WFF, thats wonderful. and welcome, Helen!

last week i had a hard time getting my training in since it was a hard week at work -- ended up cutting two of my shorter sessions (a short swim and a short run), and had to keep it slow for my long swim and my long bike.

I saved my medium and long runs for the weekend -- we went out of town, and I'm really proud that I got the runs in and I felt great after doing them. Didn't hurt that I was running around a beautiful little beach town on the South Shore of Massachusetts.
    2014-05-05 1:03 PM
    in reply to: jolinebean

User image

Regular
    Florence, Arizona
    Silver member

I did it!!! Got some training done before I could make any more excuses for the day

2014-05-05 3:16 PM
    in reply to: #4916495

User image

Great job Helen

• Jiline are you doing the cranberry Tri? Did you join a club/group? (I'm in MA as well, but more boston/metro west).
    2014-05-05 3:51 PM
    in reply to: Helen120

User image

Yardville, NJ
    Originally posted by Helen120

I did it!!! Got some training done before I could make any more excuses for the day

Welcome! And great job!

2014-05-05 3:53 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
    Great swim WFF! Keep up the good work.
    2014-05-05 3:55 PM
    in reply to: jolinebean

User image

Yardville, NJ
    Originally posted by jolinebean

congrats on the 1000 WFF, thats wonderful. and welcome, Helen!

last week i had a hard time getting my training in since it was a hard week at work -- ended up cutting two of my shorter sessions (a short swim and a short run), and had to keep it slow for my long swim and my long bike.

I saved my medium and long runs for the weekend -- we went out of town, and I'm really proud that I got the runs in and I felt great after doing them. Didn't hurt that I was running around a beautiful little beach town on the South Shore of Massachusetts.

Nice job on the runs!
    2014-05-05 3:56 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
    Heading to Florida for a few days tomorrow. A mix of business and pleasure. I hope to get some ocean swimming and some running along the beach.
    2014-05-05 7:38 PM

User image

Originally posted by Mfechter67

Heading to Florida for a few days tomorrow. A mix of business and pleasure. I hope to get some ocean swimming and some running along the beach.

Enjoy - I wish I was heading down there as well.

Today

30 min weights - Back / Bi
    15 min HiiT cadio on the elyptical
    2 miles 18 min on the dreadmill - sprint sprint sprint.
    2014-05-06 9:26 AM

User image

Clarkey, I'm actually in Philly -- was just up in MA for the weekend.

Last night I did a 5.5 mile bike ride followed by a 1.4 mile run -- I think that I feel better and actually run faster when I come off the bike (my gps had my 1.4 miles at sub-12 minutes).

2014-05-06 12:58 PM
    in reply to: #4991876

User image

I typically feel fast coming off the bike - I think it is because I am all warmed up and pumping!
    2014-05-06 7:49 PM

User image

Regular
    Florence, Arizona
    Silver member

I haven't really felt that "brick" feeling you're supposed to get coming off the bike to run but then again I don't think I can manage to cycle hard enough in the first place, lol.

I started my long list of excuses today as to why I don't have time or energy to train today. I can't believe I think like this these days...so I declined my after work visit to see Grandma in hospital who is recovering from hip replacement surgery (I know, I'm the worst family member, but I saw her twice already), went home and got on the bike trainer. I knew if I didn't get home until 8pm, which has been almost everyday for the last 3 weeks, there would be no training being done.

Expecting snow again tonight...sure wish I was in Florida!!

2014-05-07 7:58 AM
    in reply to: Helen120

User image

I still wasn't able to run last night... this is starting to get a little irritating. So I did a little strength training and also decided to add planks to my regimen since I really need core work. My longest plank was a mere :43... Started shaking around the :25 mark, lol! I knew I was out of shape, but daaaaaang...

Hit the pool for bonus time this morning. Lucky I could too because I have to work Friday, and with my wife working tomorrow evening... no time before work! Did a 200yd warmup, then my normal 500 (14:00ish), kick drills 50x2, 500 (12:00ish), kick drills 50x2. I decided that after I finished my swim, I'd try breathing on my left side... that didn't work so well... I knew I had a problem getting my arm out of the water after the stroke, but rolling to that side made me feel like I was going to drown... Right now I breathe on the right only. As I breathe, I'm taking my left stroke. When my right hand hits the water, I actually glide for a little bit before my stroke. So... I'm thinking that my breathing is already good for a 3-stroke instead of a 2... Oh well... with only 10 days to go, I am not going to try to make any findamental changes...

Yup... 10 days!
    2014-05-07 11:36 AM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    Finally stepping up my training a notch.

I got Bluetooth headset so now I can watch what I want to watch while on the trainer. So its a lot more biking for me.

ITU Chicago released there bike map. its 24 miles of course but 12 turn around. I found a quite street by my house that has a 1 mile stretch so it would be 24 miles with 24 turn around in training. Good news it would get me used to turning around. .

Other news is my girl is seriously thinking about going to Croatia in September and I can try to do the marathon right near there. crazy part is it has like a lot of stairs. So I figure time to start walking up stairs on the way to work, after lunch and when I go home. that would be about 30 flights a day.

2014-05-07 6:24 PM
    in reply to: chirunner134

User image

WFF - 10 days! You can do it!
    keep training until your taper!
    Swim Swim Swim - is my advice!

Chi - wow that seems very difficult 24 miles 24 turns! Ugh.

• For me!
    I ran 5 miles today in just under 50 min!
    FURTHEST I HAVE EVER RUN!!!!!

2014-05-07 9:16 PM

User image

Regular
    Florence, Arizona
    Silver member

Way to go, congratulations Clarkey!!! That's gotta feel like a million bucks!

Chi - there is no way I'd ever get through a "stair" marathon. Wow. When is it, what's it called?

WFF - you will run again!

And as for this lazy-butt, I went to visit granny after work today...got home late. And guess what? Went downstairs right away and got on the dreadmill!!!!! I don't know what has come over me, but I'll take it! I took it easy though, the achilles was grumpy, but anything is better than the nothing I was doing

H

2014-05-07 10:30 PM
    in reply to: #4992373

User image

Clarke: uhhhhh... Taper? Wuzzat?

I'm getting ready to crash out... my heel is good methinks. I poked all around it, and the new skin feels a touch thin (I completely lost that chunk), but there is zero tenderness. So.... the plan is to get up at 0430ish, toss on my shorts and hoof it for a while. No matter what happens, I will not be prepared for the run. I can't change that. But I'll give it everything I've got, and we will see what happens! Lol! The slower I go this year, to more I smash my time on the way to a PR next year
    2014-05-08 8:10 AM

User image

I'm still hating on the 30min edit limit... :P

Got up this morning, and staggered out the door for a run. I knew I wouldn't be able to push it since my last run was a brick on 4-26... I decided to go with an easy set of intervals to test everything out. I also decided to double-check my route for the full 3.1mi/5k to be sure I had it mapped out. Including warm-up and cool-down I went 3.1m this morning in 45:18. That's about a 14:40ish pace (don't feel like doing the math). There is zero pain in my heel, and even the knot in my right soleus muscle didn't act up all that much either. Okay... so I may not break the 1:30:00 barrier, but I'm positive I won't see the 2:00:00 mark pass while still on the course either Group ride tonight... going to see if they'll let me keep it over 16mph.
    2014-05-08 7:00 PM
    in reply to: #4993274

User image

I'm just a little mad right now.

Got to the group ride and we take off. About 2 miles in, I'm 100yds behind in 46/12(my highest gear), in the drops and spinning so fast I was bouncing in the saddle. Next thing I know, my chain comes flying off and I'm in a ditch while everyone else turns the corner and is gone. I'm mad because this is a "no drop" ride, and the ride leader knows I'm a 16mph rider. I checked my stats and I was doing over 20!!! When I lost my chain Strava says I was doing 25...

This may very well be the butthurt speaking, but I noted that I was the only one in a T-shirt, flat pedals and on a sub $1G bike... waaaaaaaay sub, lol!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
    Views: 28165 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
    Views: 100353 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 16475 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 26, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 1
    Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 0
    Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
    date : March 21, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 2
    Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
    author : Ontherun
    For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : Rich Strauss
    Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
    author : JeremyLikness
    comments : 9
    Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
    date : September 19, 2004
    author : Michael
    I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
    author : Ron
    What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?