BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-07-06 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3582649

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

JEFF -

Thanks for the kind thoughts and, yes, i have had my (more than? fair share of injuries over the years. I am not sure they have hampered my progress over the long term, but they sure have gotten in the way during many short terms!

It's odd to think that I have hit a ceiling of sorts, just based on how deep I am (probably not) willing to go at this point. I mentioned coaching, which I can't afford to do, and the same goes to serious upgrading of equipment. But even the latter usually bestows just small gains, so....

Thunder outside, losing our satellite coverage of T d'F, will post this now and return later.

Edited by stevebradley 2011-07-06 9:07 AM

2011-07-06 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3582357

User image

Alaska

stevebradley - 2011-07-05 7:59 PM VERONICA - Wow. Great report, greater accomplishment! I agree with Denise about two things": wondering why that part through town as the toughest, and being vertically-challenged. As for the up and down splits, just thinking about barreling down so fast makes my knees ache and my quads scream. Yikes! When you refer to another successful season under your belt, does that mean this is it for your racing for '11? And I'm sorry you missed crossing paths with Lisa...although that makes me feel a bit better about her not even trying to make it to Ottawa or Montreal! Finally, what shape is your lower body in a few days after an event such as that. Are you living an ice-bath existence??

Actually felt more soreness in my arms yesterday than expected. I think I used my arms more during the race grabbing roots, trees, rocks to give me an extra boost whenever possible. Guess I dont do that as much during my training runs. And my legs were a little tired on my 5 mile run this morning but I'm doing okay.

Also just found the posted split times. My time up the mountain was 58:30 and down was 19:23. You are right the downhill does make the quads scream, it is quite a transition from up to down. The first half going down has a lot of shale that you kind of fall into so it is fairly easy on the knees but does take some control with tired legs from the uphill. It is truly amazing how fast some can make it down. The fastest downhill time for the women was 12:56! My downhill time was the 55th fastest so looks like I need to work on the uphill a little more. Descending the lower half of the mountain is running through a creekbed, have to watch the footing more as well as jumping down rocks. During the race, you hit all kinds of terrain, from the road to cliffs to dirt path through trees to hard rock then down shale then creekbed then cliff then the road again. As you can tell this is a race I enjoy and share my enthusiasm for it.

When I mentioned another successful year, I was actually referrring to another successful year on the mountain. But actually I am not sure if I will participate in another tri this summer, possibly in August but I have not yet committed to one. Am starting to increase my long run in anticipation of the fall marathon.

Also, I agree, sounds like Joe has a good cycling group. Hard to find a true "no drop" group. That drafting/pacing stuff is still one I need to work on. Guess that is why I like time trial stuff.

Hope everyone is having a great week. I'm starting to get excited about my vacation. I leave Monday for Oregon coast! Woohoo!

Edited by AKtri 2011-07-06 3:04 PM
2011-07-06 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3582717

User image

Champion

JEFF again -

Well, there still is some ceiling above me. There's the swimming ceiling, which I continue to hope allows room for growth. But I've been pursuing that hope for years now, and with very little to show for it. Okay, some -- about three or four years ago I increased my performance slightl;y, but have kind of been stuck on a (-nother) platreau since. i am hoping that my efforts at increased cadence and breathing-on-demand will elevate me to the next level/plateau.

The bike can improve some more, but at this stage that carries the threat of affecting the run more than I might like. Plus, the hip/groing thing affects my bike training enough so that I am just managing to hold onto past gains -- if that. the past two rides, both around 20 miles, have seen me do 19.7 and 20.2 mph, which I giuess isn't that far off where I usually aim at this point in a season. But I sure ain't improving any time soon without more consistent training.

The run? I never know how far I'm willing to push myself in a race. I told you about Columbia '10, and that lurks in my mind as Exhibit A for me not wanting to, or be willing to, leave everything on the course. Were I to get to that point, then I could make some inroads into the races runs, but until then.....

The big wild card is nutrition, and that plays into things for me at half-irons where, over time, Mistakes Have Been Made. If I could combine ironclad nutrition with balanced pacing at half-irons, things could improve there.

So, overall, I can continue to improve in triathlon, but the door isn't open all that far without big efforts or outlays of money. Yoga, however, is something at which I have a world of improvements to make, and that is just nice to feel at this stage of my life. It's funny how so much of my recent Yoga experience mirrors where I was at 8-12 years ago in triathlon, right down to the smallest psychological aspects. The best example is injuries, where I used to go apolplectic with a swim or bike or run injury, figuring that the lay-off from training would be my ruination. Several years ago that all changed, though, and now I'm pretty mellow with my injuries. Part of that is having so much racing and all under my belt, so missing stuff now isn't the end of the world, while the other part is the realization that time away from training does not mean the end of the world is nigh. Imagine that!

Funny, though, that I can't incorporate those into my Yogic life. I hurt myself, can't practice....and get apoplectic about not being able to do the classes and thus losing all my hard-fought gains. And, I'm not too samrt about not pushing myslef past my edge. I've gotten really good at that with triathlon, but in a mere three months at Yoga I have ventured into territory where I have no right to go....and have paid a small price a few times. Doh!

Well, off on a bike ride now, hoping to extend my recent small string of relatively pain-free and mostly speed-okay rides. We shall see what we shall see. My last few runs have been pretty good, too, so I'm beginning to view the season a bit more positively. Well, "cautiously optimistic" is a better way to express it......while "waiting for the axe to fall" also works well.

2011-07-06 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3583611

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-07-06 4:33 PM JEFF again - Well, there still is some ceiling above me. There's the swimming ceiling, which I continue to hope allows room for growth. But I've been pursuing that hope for years now, and with very little to show for it. Okay, some -- about three or four years ago I increased my performance slightl;y, but have kind of been stuck on a (-nother) platreau since. i am hoping that my efforts at increased cadence and breathing-on-demand will elevate me to the next level/plateau.

I understand  "increased cadence" but "breathing-on-demand" is new to me.  Gotta hear about it!!  I always race breathing on my right with an occasion look to the left but do a lot of bi-lateral breathing in the pool.  I have taken your advice and spent a good deal of time practicing my siting (left, right and forward).  I think it will help out a great deal in my next race (it certainly won't hurt given my horrid swim in the last race).

The bike can improve some more, but at this stage that carries the threat of affecting the run more than I might like. Plus, the hip/groing thing affects my bike training enough so that I am just managing to hold onto past gains -- if that. the past two rides, both around 20 miles, have seen me do 19.7 and 20.2 mph, which I giuess isn't that far off where I usually aim at this point in a season. But I sure ain't improving any time soon without more consistent training.

Hey, ain't much you can do about it with your injury.  Sounds like your in pretty good shape though (pretty close to where you were in previous seasons).  Chalk that up to the years and years of hard work you have put in.

The run? I never know how far I'm willing to push myself in a race. I told you about Columbia '10, and that lurks in my mind as Exhibit A for me not wanting to, or be willing to, leave everything on the course. Were I to get to that point, then I could make some inroads into the races runs, but until then.....

My guess is you have gone to places (i.e.. painful places) that I wish I could get to.  Actually I lied a bit, I do hate pain so I don't wish to go there 

The big wild card is nutrition, and that plays into things for me at half-irons where, over time, Mistakes Have Been Made. If I could combine ironclad nutrition with balanced pacing at half-irons, things could improve there. So, overall, I can continue to improve in triathlon, but the door isn't open all that far without big efforts or outlays of money.

$$$'s.  I hear ya.  I'm just starting the funding for my 3rd college tuition in the last 8 years.  Also did 2 weddings within the last 4 years.  So there is no coach or carbon TT bike in my immediate future.

Yoga, however, is something at which I have a world of improvements to make, and that is just nice to feel at this stage of my life. It's funny how so much of my recent Yoga experience mirrors where I was at 8-12 years ago in triathlon, right down to the smallest psychological aspects. The best example is injuries, where I used to go apolplectic with a swim or bike or run injury, figuring that the lay-off from training would be my ruination. Several years ago that all changed, though, and now I'm pretty mellow with my injuries. Part of that is having so much racing and all under my belt, so missing stuff now isn't the end of the world, while the other part is the realization that time away from training does not mean the end of the world is nigh. Imagine that! Funny, though, that I can't incorporate those into my Yogic life. I hurt myself, can't practice....and get apoplectic about not being able to do the classes and thus losing all my hard-fought gains. And, I'm not too samrt about not pushing myslef past my edge. I've gotten really good at that with triathlon, but in a mere three months at Yoga I have ventured into territory where I have no right to go....and have paid a small price a few times.

Some people never develop a true passion about anything in life.  Glad you found yet another one.

Doh! Well, off on a bike ride now, hoping to extend my recent small string of relatively pain-free and mostly speed-okay rides. We shall see what we shall see. My last few runs have been pretty good, too, so I'm beginning to view the season a bit more positively. Well, "cautiously optimistic" is a better way to express it......while "waiting for the axe to fall" also works well.

2011-07-06 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Steve,

I do have a race question for you.  It has to do with race starts and wave start racing.  I'm in the 50-54 age group.  I'm normally one of the last waves to start a race so I'm always at the BOP early in the day.  Your a fast guy and you must pass a ton of people on the course when doing AG wave starts.  I was wondering if you use that to your advantage (legally of course).  If so, how?

I can tell you that it does have a positive mental aspect to it.  Nothing like passing people and what that does for the mind.

2011-07-07 5:27 AM
in reply to: #3584022

User image

Champion

JEFF -

There's good news and bad news for you. The good news is that as you age, you will find more races in which you are sent off in one of the earlier waves. The bad news is that when that happens, there are far fewer people to pass, and yet more people to pass you!

It really does change at 55-59....or at least it used, "back in the day" I was 55-59! But it still continues at 60-64, for which I am grateful --- less time in the hotter parts of the day, better shot at post-race grub.

But as you say, all those people to pass are lost with early wave starts. I just use that as a fun sort of incentive, and where it is most visible -- bike and run -- is where I am strongest anyhow. For me, having a field of folks out on the course ahead of me is a constant source of feeling faster than I really am, just by virtue of passing so many (and I try to not notice the mountain bikes I am passing! ).

Two stories:
NYC Tri is famous for its tide-assisted swim along the Hudson River......but that is most useful for the earliest waves, and declines as the waves progress (although for the first 15 minutes or so it is all about the same). The poor buggers in the last few waves usually hit the water aftert he tide has turned, and then are soemwhat fighting the current for a straight 1500 meters. NYCT starts with pros and elites, and then hits the older guys and gals. Woo-hoo!

At Columbia '03 or '04, the first wave start was M50+, and he started us 15 minutes before the pro and elite wave. I was struggling along the hilliest part of the bike course, about 13 miles into it, and had just crested the longest and steepest climb when I heard a subtle noise behind me and then BLOWING past me were Peter Reid (then Kona champ) and a hotshot young elite. It just amazed me how powerfully those two were riding, and within mere seconds they were practically out of my sight. It was the firts on-course lesson I receieved in what separates the truly great ones from the rest of us.

2011-07-07 5:34 AM
in reply to: #3584196

User image

Champion

JEFF again -

I'll get to your other rsponse when I return hom tonight, but for now...

"Breathing on demand" is a term I (think) I created to describe a breathing pattern that is in fact no pattern. I spent all off-season working on breathing when I needed to, as opposed to my time-honored right-side-every-time pattern. This was in response to thoughts that every time the head is lifted or even turned it disrupts the body line, and that doing less breathing than I was used to might help me some.

So, in my OWS so far this season I have continued to work on that, and a sequence for me might be 4th, 4th, 2nd, 6th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 6th. I will occasionally throw in a left-side breath, and usually that is the 3rd, but sometimes the 5th. So far, this seems to be working. The good part (I hope) of breathing every 5th or 6th stroke is that I subtly increase my cadence at those times, just so that I am going breathless for not quite so long. This is working well with the other thing I focused on during the off-season, which was increased cadence. So, hopefully, the two of them -- increased cadence and "breathing-on-demand" -- will see my swim times move off their time-honored plateau. And if not.....well, so what else is new?

See you this evening!

2011-07-07 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3583999

User image

Champion

JEFF again -

Going to painful places is a funny thing, in that it seems like a good idea anywhere but at the time one maybe needs to go there. that is, it is one of those things where, after the fact, I am SURE I could've gone deeper and WILL go deeper next time.....but then by the time "next time" comes, I back off going too far into That Place.

The best way for me to do it is with spurts, or surges. These work really well on the bike, where I push myself until I'm about to hurt, and then back off briefly before nudging that edge again. And again. And again. When I'm on, I can stay at that edge for quite a while, and then need only a few seconds of backing off before I return.

The difference between a surge and a spurt? probably really just semantics, but the former is when I am in control and I hardly need the back-off moments. The latter, however, is when I've been at the edge too long, and while I'm maybe thinking I'm still controlling things, the down moments are absolute requirements...and the hard parts don't last long at all.

I not-too-long-ago read that strong swimmers never exit the water looking refreshed, and it occurs to me that I almost always do. Hmmm. As my swim times are never where I want them to be, I assume that I am not exerting myself near enough during the swim leg; that is one of the impeti behind trying to increase my swim cadence. My other option would be to work like a demon at my kick, but seeing as how my kick is really bad I'm not sure that's where my efforts should go. Plus, not kicking during the swim saves my legs really weel for the bike, and is maybe why my bike is fairly strong -- legs that have spent xx minutes just dragging along during the swim! Voila!

All those tuitions and weddings might have you just a step or two from wearing cutoff jeans and an old beat-up t-shirt during your races, and riding your '62 Schwinn while wearing Converse All-Star sneakers. So much for a fuly disposable income being dedicated to triathlon!

Edited by stevebradley 2011-07-07 11:05 PM
2011-07-07 3:50 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Hey guys/gals! Hope everyone is having a great July....Just poking my head in to say howdy and let you know that I haven't forgotten about all of you incredible people/athletes! It's hotter than hades here in Oklahoma, so I've not been competing. I've actually cancelled two benefit bike rides due to the heat/strong winds (110F, 45mph), but hope to get back in the saddle for those long rides soon. Coach has me training for the Redman Half Aquabike at the end of September, but he's still focusing on my run. Sadly...it hasn't improved all that much. Double sadly, my weight loss has stalled. I'm officially at a plateau. Still need to lose another 30lbs in order to have any hope of being faster on bike/run. Finally, I've gone back to yoga classes. My core strength and flexibility are weak and need attention. 

Good luck to those racing this weekend!

2011-07-07 4:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Rats! Rats! Rats!

The new participant list for Racine is up.  There is another woman in my age group.  And she's done several full Ironmans INCLUDING KONA and she's done the BOSTON MARATHON.  There goes my new bike.  Oh well, it certainly take the pressure off.  Now I can just have fun.

Denise

And my record of 10 tris/10 1st place age group awards will fall - that takes the pressure off too.

Denise

2011-07-07 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3585318

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
kickitinok - 2011-07-07 3:50 PM

Hey guys/gals! Hope everyone is having a great July....Just poking my head in to say howdy and let you know that I haven't forgotten about all of you incredible people/athletes! It's hotter than hades here in Oklahoma, so I've not been competing. I've actually cancelled two benefit bike rides due to the heat/strong winds (110F, 45mph), but hope to get back in the saddle for those long rides soon. Coach has me training for the Redman Half Aquabike at the end of September, but he's still focusing on my run. Sadly...it hasn't improved all that much. Double sadly, my weight loss has stalled. I'm officially at a plateau. Still need to lose another 30lbs in order to have any hope of being faster on bike/run. Finally, I've gone back to yoga classes. My core strength and flexibility are weak and need attention. 

That weather sounds absolutely awful!  I'm too hot if it gets above 70.  Core sounds like a good thing to work on and Sept a much better time to race.  I complain about the winter cold in Minnesota but we don't have a lot of really hot days in the summer which makes training easier.  Good luck with core and weight.

Denise

2011-07-07 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3584196

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Interesting...  I did notice on the bike in the last race I did that the wind picked up quite a bit from the 1st loop of the course to the 2nd loop.  I think that is pretty common during the spring here in Southwest Florida (i.e..  there is no wind early in the AM but it picks up as you progress into the morning).  I read somewhere that that the pros have a huge advantage over AGer's in Kona because of this same condition.

Mountain bikes..... personally I think everybody under the age of 50 should have to ride a mountain bike    Hey, they have handicapping in horse racing and golf... why not triathlon?

stevebradley - 2011-07-07 6:27 AM JEFF - There's good news and bad news for you. The good news is that as you age, you will find more races in which you are sent off in one of the earlier waves. The bad news is that when that happens, there are far fewer people to pass, and yet more people to pass you! It really does change at 55-59....or at least it used, "back in the day" I was 55-59! But it still continues at 60-64, for which I am grateful --- less time in the hotter parts of the day, better shot at post-race grub. But as you say, all those people to pass are lost with early wave starts. I just use that as a fun sort of incentive, and where it is most visible -- bike and run -- is where I am strongest anyhow. For me, having a field of folks out on the course ahead of me is a constant source of feeling faster than I really am, just by virtue of passing so many (and I try to not notice the mountain bikes I am passing! ). Two stories: NYC Tri is famous for its tide-assisted swim along the Hudson River......but that is most useful for the earliest waves, and declines as the waves progress (although for the first 15 minutes or so it is all about the same). The poor buggers in the last few waves usually hit the water aftert he tide has turned, and then are soemwhat fighting the current for a straight 1500 meters. NYCT starts with pros and elites, and then hits the older guys and gals. Woo-hoo! At Columbia '03 or '04, the first wave start was M50+, and he started us 15 minutes before the pro and elite wave. I was struggling along the hilliest part of the bike course, about 13 miles into it, and had just crested the longest and steepest climb when I heard a subtle noise behind me and then BLOWING past me were Peter Reid (then Kona champ) and a hotshot young elite. It just amazed me how powerfully those two were riding, and within mere seconds they were practically out of my sight. It was the firts on-course lesson I receieved in what separates the truly great ones from the rest of us.

2011-07-07 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3585175

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

stevebradley - 2011-07-07 3:47 PM JEFF again - Going to painful palces is a funny thing, in that it seems like a good idea anywhere but at the time one maybe needs to go there. that is, it is one of those things where, after the fact, I am SURE I could've gone deeper and WILL go deeper next time.....but then by the time "next time" comes, I back off going too far into That Place.

Amen.

The best way for me to do it is with spurts, or surges. These work really well on the bike, where I push myself until I'm about to hurt, and then back off briefly before nudging that edge again. And again. And again. When I'm on, I can stay at that edge for quite a while, and then need only a few seconds of backing off before I return. The difference between a surge and a spurt? probably really just semantics, but the former is when I am in control and I hardly need the back-off moments. The latter, however, is when I've been at the edge too long, and while I'm maybe thinking I'm still controlling things, the down moments are absolute requirements...and the hard parts don't last long at all.

I use training plans from Gordo and a number of the workouts are structured (particularily runs) where I'll be in my Steady/Mod hard zone, push into a Hard zone for a period of time and then recovery back in my Steady zone.  Sounds similar to what your are describing.  In fact, in one of his articles he mentioned that "Fast racing comes from the ability to change pace and recover slightly under average race pace".  If your interested here is the link to the article titled "Fundamental Principles of Pace". 

http://www.endurancecorner.com/Gordo_Byrn/pace

Great reading.

I not-too-long-ago read that strong swimmers never exit the water looking refreshed, and it occurs to me that I almost always do. Hmmm. As my swim times are never where I want them to be, I assume that I am not exerting myself near enough during the swim leg; that is one of the impeti behind trying to increase my swim cadence.

I have such a fear of swimming "fast".  I can EASILY blow myself to pieces in 200 meters and not know what just happened.  Man do I wish I had joined the swim team when I was 8 years old.

My other option would be to work like a demon at my kick, but seeing as how my kick is really bad I'm not sure that's where my efforts should go. Plus, not kicking during the swim saves my legs really weel for the bike, and is maybe why my bike is fairly strong -- legs that have spent xx minutes just dragging along during the swim! Voila! All those tuitions and weddings might have you just a step or two from wearing cutoff jeans and an old beat-up t-shirt during your races, and riding your '62 Schwinn while wearing Converse All-Star sneakers. So much for a fuly disposable income being dedicated to triathlon!

2011-07-07 7:49 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

110F and 45mph winds...  I thought it was bad this time of year in Florida.  Nothing like that thank goodness.

kickitinok - 2011-07-07 4:50 PM

2011-07-07 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3585426

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

10 for 10 is good for a new bike in my book!!!

LadyNorth - 2011-07-07 5:39 PM

Rats! Rats! Rats!

The new participant list for Racine is up.  There is another woman in my age group.  And she's done several full Ironmans INCLUDING KONA and she's done the BOSTON MARATHON.  There goes my new bike.  Oh well, it certainly take the pressure off.  Now I can just have fun.

Denise

And my record of 10 tris/10 1st place age group awards will fall - that takes the pressure off too.

Denise

2011-07-08 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

Hi everyone! Sorry to be a no-show for a while, between work and IM training, I have complete mushbrain.  Things here are good, 14 more days.  Got my race number #312

Sounds like everyone is training hard and enjoying the season!

Promise to be around a little more post mush-brain.

2011-07-08 8:58 AM

User image

Champion

TRINA -

Yay! You've returned!

There is no way I would do a long ride in those conditions; might not even do a short ride! That's just a recipe for meltdown of biblical proportions, and I'm too old for such silliness. I know the line that "if it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger".....but I guess I'm no longer interested in such crash-courses in getting tougher!

Don't worry yet about the run not improving. Sometimes the plateaus we're on can be very vast, but eventually we move beyond them. You're doing the work, so the benefits will be apparent at some point -- hopefully sooner than later!

As for the weight, just keep being as disciplined as you can. It might trun out that Yoga will work the same for you as it has for me. I didn't go into it as a weight-loss aid, but it sure has turned out that way. Now, granted, I am doing a ton of it, but it still surprises me that my weight is now at about 166/167, where it hasn't been forever. Most racing seasons I dip below 170 for a day or two in late August, but this year my Yoga-assisted weight loss has seen me go below 170 for the first time on May 29, and then stay there since June 14. And all of this has come in the face of a fairlt low bike and run training volume, so it's almost all due to Yoga. Sure surprises me!

Here's a line I just recently read:
" Most Yoga poses demonstrate rather than develop flexibility."

My own flexibility has increased SOME during the past few months of Yoga, but mostly I have to agree with that statement. One of the teacher trainees at the studio I go to kindly told me that my hamstrings are my limiters, and he was right on. But it got me thinking that all of the Yoga I'm doing isn't improving my hammy flexiness very much, and I need to focus more on pure and consistent hammy strecthing if I want to see better ability at forward folds and some of the hip openers.

Stay cool!!

"

2011-07-08 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3585426

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Argh! A dreaded "ringer"! Well, maybe she'll have an off-day, ro maybe she's coming back ever-so-tentatively from a big injury. Now, i'm not wishing either of those on her, but I'm just saying that you shouldn't wave the white flag quite yet. I have had a few races in which a seeming stud has been entered and I doidn't think I had a snowball's chnace of beating them, but beciuse of this and that their training was down and I managed to finsih ahead of them. You never know, especially at HIM and IM!

Who is she, anyhow? Laura Sophea? (She might be younger than you.) Sister Madonna Buder? (She might be older than you.)

Do you need us to stage a write-in campaign to your husband about how much you deserve and will benefit from a new bike? Just let us know, if so!

2011-07-08 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3585636

User image

Champion

JEFF -

I'd even go further and say that M35-44 should ride on pennyfarthings. That'd level the playing field between us older folks and those uber-comptetive age groups!

Probably the best local triathlete is a guy named Rick Hellard, and at a race a few years ago he showed up on some souped-up kids bike. But "souped-up" as it was, it still was small for him, and had big old tires, and he wasn't going to win that race. But he was having a hoot doing it --- and still making decent progress on such an oddball bike!

2011-07-08 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3586135

User image

Champion

MUSH-BRAIN MANDY!

Glad you're back, and seemingly well. Mush-brain at this stage is much (mush?) better than mush-body, which I'm assuming is doing okay.

When will you be arriving in LP, and where will you be staying. I might be down on the Thursday to hit the expo and buy a pair of Newtons (this is an annual pilgrimage for me). Let me know your plans, okay?

312 is a good number. There's the three, which is a good triathlon number, and then it is added to by the 1 and 2 also equalling three. Perfect! Once charmed, twice blessed? YES!

2011-07-08 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3586295

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

STEVE! 

COOL! We are getting there Thursday hopefully no later than 3pm.  Will you be around still? I would love love love to see you!  Let me know.  

Shoot.  I knew we should have gone on Wednesday. Stupid work.  

I am having a hard time motivating this week, for sure not mentally wanting to do much.  I am on the taper, so that is good, but taper does not me sit on your tuckus.  Work has been busy though, so I am walking a lot. 

Body feels good. 14 days away. Mind not working. SO CRAZY

Also so sorry everyone for not responding to your various posts, you are all working hard though for sure!! And I totally think Denise can take that Kona/BQ sand bagger!  

2011-07-10 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3572708

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
junthank - 2011-06-29 10:34 AM

I come across this great motivational video (cool song as well).  On those days when I just don't feel like getting out the door I can usually take a look at this and it will get me out the door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9O84Ry6axY

Just had a chance to watch this - very nice - thanks.

Every year I watch the Kona special on tv and mist up through half of it.

Denise

2011-07-10 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

My # is 1209, other 2 in F65-69 are 1208 (the ringer) and 1210.

My swim wave is 7:59.  1st wave is 7:00 and last is 8:28.

Most waves are 4 minutes apart but there's 6 minutes after the "old folks" wave.  All the waves after are 30-34 and 35-39.  I guess I better swim wide.

The cut-off is 8 1/2 hours after last wave.  That means my cut-off time is 9 hours which I think is quite, quite generous.

I'm kind of surprised I'm not nervous yet.  Instead of spending my time getting organized for the race, I've been looking for the best place to get kringle in Racine.

2011-07-10 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Mandy,

I will wish you "Good Luck" next week when your mind is more clear. (or maybe it will be even mushier)

Denise

2011-07-10 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX

Hey, all! Back from vacation for almost a week and just starting to feel somewhat back to normal. The weather was great. I think the high was 70 (only wore shorts one day), but mostly in the lower 50s. A welcome relief from the heat and drought we are still experiencing in Texas. Would love to post a couple of pictures but never can remember how! Took some time to get a couple of bike rides in and enjoyed doing laps on the ship (14 laps = 4 miles), some nice hikes, white water rafting, whale watching, and off roading. Came home exhausted ... crazy how you can look out the window at 2:30 or 3:30 am and it is still light! We'd be running around outside and look at our watches and it would be 11 pm already! Hoping to get back into the swing of things next week.

Veronica, thanks again for the information on Anchorage. Sorry not to get in touch but seemed like before we knew it the day was over. Ended up walking around downtown (can't believe all of the beautiful flowers!) and walking along the Coastal trail.  Saw the Aurora Borealis movie (big mistake, the first darkness we'd seen in two weeks with classical music) and a movie at the visitor's center on the seasons in Denali. We loved the train travel on the White Pass and Yukon rail between Skagway and Fraser, and the Alaska rail between Fairbanks and Denali, and then Denali to Anchorage. Congrats on your Mt Marathon race!! After some of our hikes, I can only imagine!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57