General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-01-18 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4583357

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group
leatherneckpa - 2013-01-17 5:55 PM

Fechter99 - 2013-01-16 9:31 PM Oatmeal to Go ..... Makes 24 cupcake size muffins. Bake for 30 minutes. Can be frozen, defrost overnight at room temp, warm in microwave or eat at room temp.

Sounds fantastic!  Can't wait to try them this weekend.  Thank you.

Made a batch at home yesterday and they came out just as good as the ones I bought at the cafe. Hope you like them.  Both my boys like them but not my husband.

2013-01-18 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4306637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Had a good swim this morning - 2150 yards continuous but was sets of 200 free (100 fast, 100 easy) then 50 kicking.  I was not able to do the 100 fast part,  it was all slow because my arms still are really sore from my kickboxing class yesterday. Due to arthritis in my shoulder which irritates the rotator cuff, I can't actually hit the bag because the impact causes pain in my shoulder.  Ironically this is the class that lead to the diagnosis.   Anyway, so when I take the class, rather than hitting the bag, I hold 3lb dumb bells and do the boxing motions.  After 45 minutes,  I could barely lift my arms.    Now imagine the muscle ache and try to swim the next day.  Yup, that was me this morning. 
2013-01-18 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Swim - 1800 yds - 43m 30s - 2:25/10 avg

Good things happen when you lose track of the number of laps, provided your rule is "when in doubt do the extra lap". I finished with the belief that I had hit 1500 yards, but maybe 1600. But when I got home and checked the laps on my IM watch I discovered that I had lost count of laps more than once. I actually wound up doing 1800 yards!  It was supposed to be 4x50, 3x100, 1x500, 3x100, 4x50.

Ooops!  Wound up with 5x50, 3x100, 1x600, 4x100, and 5x50.  So I swam 1.2 miles with only 30s rest between intervals.  I think I am going ease back just a little bit, to my intended W/U and C/D but keep the 600 in the middle.  The new plan is to do this distance for 4 or 5 workouts and then add 100 yds every third workout.

FELT GREAT!

2013-01-18 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

FANTASTIC NEWS!  And a change to my planned race season.  I  had planned on doing either the Black Bear Oly in Lehighton PA or the Lake Keuka Oly in NY on June 2nd.  But that has changed now.

My daughter has agreed to "tri" the Topeka KS Tinman short course on June 15th.  I will run the long course.  WOW!  I have been saying that I am doing this to set a positive fitness example for my grandson, with the hope that his mother would see it and lose some weight herself.  It's working!  LJ has switched to a closer school (1.2 miles) and they have been walking to school and home each morning.  (Which means she is making the trip twice a day)  The SIL offered to drive the little one to school this morning and the kid refused, saying he wanted to walk instead.  I am so tickled.  This makes all the sweat and pain of the last six months worth it.  (I'm already making plans to get LJ started in Tri-Kids down the road.)  Father/daughter picture will be posted after the race.

2013-01-19 8:32 AM

Leather, good job on the swim and the influence on your family. It's a nice bonus that all this hard work is showing in places other than just the scale. Motivating someone else is a good motivator for one's self.

Had a good short run yesterday. I did 17 minutes straight of 9min/mile at .5% incline, and felt pretty good throughout the whole thing. The last time I ran that long, I did 11min/mile. It was good to see and feel some progress on the run. Today is an easy 80 minute spin on the trainer.
2013-01-19 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4585817

New user

nicely done on the workouts everyone!

Got a 1.35km swim in last night, so new record there, can definitely feel my swimming coming back and I'm looking forward to hopefully hitting the pool tomorrow morning before watching football.

Got 31 minutes on the trainer this afternoon, so my trouble weekend is off to a good start. Enjoying hockey being back too and off to my friend's place in a minute.

2013-01-20 7:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Hi all. Hope you don't mind a new member to the group. I have been talking about all of you with my husband, Mike (mfechter67), about our group and he would like to join us. Thanks.
2013-01-20 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Randi, of course Mike is welcome.  The more the merrier!  You may have noticed that the numbers on here have decreased significantly since the end of the race season.  I'm hoping to see several of them restart in a month or two, I miss the interaction.  Sometimes makes me wonder if I haven't scared them away with my frequent posting of mundane training details.

For instance, we never hear from the Yeti or jonD anymore.  But then again, they are snowed in and probably think that indoor workouts aren't worth noting.  I disagree.  We all "feed" off of each other's motivation, at least I know I do.  The two that really surprise me though are Alsburyscott and jobaxas.  They should be right in the heart of their seasons down under.

2013-01-20 8:33 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Thank you for the invite and the welcome! I'm happy to be part of the group. - Mike
2013-01-20 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4586649

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
leatherneckpa - 2013-01-20 9:15 AM

Randi, of course Mike is welcome.  The more the merrier!  You may have noticed that the numbers on here have decreased significantly since the end of the race season.  I'm hoping to see several of them restart in a month or two, I miss the interaction.  Sometimes makes me wonder if I haven't scared them away with my frequent posting of mundane training details.

For instance, we never hear from the Yeti or jonD anymore.  But then again, they are snowed in and probably think that indoor workouts aren't worth noting.  I disagree.  We all "feed" off of each other's motivation, at least I know I do.  The two that really surprise me though are Alsburyscott and jobaxas.  They should be right in the heart of their seasons down under.

Thanks.  I know Mike will share lots and keep us all motivated!

Yes, I had noticed the decline but figured it was just people were busy.  I know that I go through spurts when I don't post too much.  Hope they do come back or that we do in fact pick up some new people.  Maybe everyone is busy with new mentor groups.   I myself joined another one but am finding it might not be the best fit whereas I have never felt that way here.   I personally like the info about indoor workouts that you share since that is what I am doing myself at the moment.  

As for motivation, Mike definitely keeps me motivated, at least most of the time.  It is amazing having a training partner in the house even though we are training for different races.   I do think he is more motivated today than I am.  I am just not feeling it today.  Supposed to have a long bike ride on the trainer but just not in the mood, in fact I have not been on my bike since last Sunday.  He's riding right now and I know I should get my ride in but there are times like now that I don't want to.

I don't take many off days.  I am usually doing some kind of workout even if it is not specific to triathlons.  I do however feel guilty that I haven't done anything since Friday but wonder,  is it okay to just bag the workouts for a couple days?  

2013-01-20 3:49 PM

Welcome to the group Mike. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I find stopping by here on my unmotivated days helps me get motivated. It's nice to hear other people's experiences, training updates, racing plans, etc.

Today I spent 45 min on the treadmill, 32 of those were running, which is my longest running time in over a decade. The plan called for 5x 5min run, 2 min ez, but I ended up doing 2x15min run, 5min ez, but kept my HR in the same range as the plan called for. I can already notice some gains in my running. When I first started, my HR at 10min/mile was around 170, today it was between 157-162. I actually feel pretty good when I am done running now, and not like I need to use the puke bucket like I did a couple months ago.

My cycling shoes finally arrived, so I got them set up on the bike today. This is going to be interesting, getting used to being clipped in. At least I will have a couple more months on the trainer to get used to them before hitting the road. Hopefully that will minimize the number of crashes I have from forgetting to unclip.

Have a great rest of the weekend!

2013-01-20 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4586998

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

DBGlobal - 2013-01-20 4:49 PM Welcome to the group Mike. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I find stopping by here on my unmotivated days helps me get motivated. It's nice to hear other people's experiences, training updates, racing plans, etc.

Today I spent 45 min on the treadmill, 32 of those were running, which is my longest running time in over a decade. The plan called for 5x 5min run, 2 min ez, but I ended up doing 2x15min run, 5min ez, but kept my HR in the same range as the plan called for. I can already notice some gains in my running. When I first started, my HR at 10min/mile was around 170, today it was between 157-162. I actually feel pretty good when I am done running now, and not like I need to use the puke bucket like I did a couple months ago.

My cycling shoes finally arrived, so I got them set up on the bike today. This is going to be interesting, getting used to being clipped in. At least I will have a couple more months on the trainer to get used to them before hitting the road. Hopefully that will minimize the number of crashes I have from forgetting to unclip.

Great job on the run today!  Have fun with the new shoes but nothing will prepare you for the first ride outside with them.  I had 3 falls when I first started with my pedals.  Two of them were at a stop with one foot unclipped and on the ground, I turned to look over my shoulder of the foot clipped in and down I went.    My heart still races for the first couple of rides outside at the beginning of the season fearing a fall.    Mike has not fallen yet so it is possible to go a long time without doing so but I tease him in that I say I got my falls out of the way already while he is still due.  You know the saying, its not if but when.

2013-01-20 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

I decided to revamp my training plan since the one I was doing was a blend of a winter bike weight loss/maintenance plan and an olympic but only using the swim part.  The problem with the bike rides was that it often called for a crossfit type ride - sets of riding mixed with jumping rope, power squats, push ups, etc.  Not really what I wanted to do.    So, now I have imported the Sprint to Olympic Plan and will be starting it tomorrow.?   We'll see what happens.

Here's my bike workout for tomorrow - gearing confounds me though. Rings are on the front? gears on the back? smaller ring is easier, bigger ring is harder?  bigger gear is harder, smaller gear is easier? I know not to cross gear the chain so how can I do big ring, hardest gear?  I have a compact so I only have 10 gears and find it almost impossible to bike while standing on the trainer.  Any suggestions on how to modify this workout?

Power
Start in big ring, easiest gear. Spend 3' in each gear gradually working your way to hardest gear (total 27'). Leaving it in big ring, hardest gear, do 10 x (30" grind, 30" all out, 30" grind, 30" stand). Do 5' grind in big ring, hardest gear. Gradually work your back to your easiest gear by 1' for cool-down. Grind means sitting back on saddle, turning pedals over, not worrying about cadence.

Another workout that I can imagine is going to be hard on the trainer is this one for Wednesday.  How do I simulate hills?

Bike: Bike Hill Repeats
Strength
WU: 15' 
MS: Then 8x2' up a hill at 65-70 RPMS. Recover on the downhills. HR on the uphills can hit low Z4. Keep HR in Zone 1-2 otherwise. 
CD: 15'

2013-01-20 5:29 PM
in reply to: #4587009

User image

Yardville, NJ
Fechter99 - 2013-01-20 5:04 PM

DBGlobal - 2013-01-20 4:49 PM Welcome to the group Mike. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I find stopping by here on my unmotivated days helps me get motivated. It's nice to hear other people's experiences, training updates, racing plans, etc.

Great job on the run today!  Have fun with the new shoes but nothing will prepare you for the first ride outside with them.  I had 3 falls when I first started with my pedals.  Two of them were at a stop with one foot unclipped and on the ground, I turned to look over my shoulder of the foot clipped in and down I went.    My heart still races for the first couple of rides outside at the beginning of the season fearing a fall.    Mike has not fallen yet so it is possible to go a long time without doing so but I tease him in that I say I got my falls out of the way already while he is still due.  You know the saying, its not if but when.

Good luck with the pedals.  I still can't get past the fact they call them "clipless", yet you clip in.  I definitly enjoy the benefit.  

Randi - obviously your memory is shorter than mine.  Remember that fall I took last year while standing at an intersection.  The only thng I hurt was my pride (and a little scuff on my handlebars).

2013-01-20 5:48 PM
in reply to: #4586856

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Fechter99 - 2013-01-20 1:42 PM   I do however feel guilty that I haven't done anything since Friday but wonder,  is it okay to just bag the workouts for a couple days?  

Of course it's okay to bag the workouts for a couple of days.  In fact, sometimes it's recommended.  Rest and recovery are almost as important as stress and overworking to produce good progress.

2013-01-20 7:33 PM

Randi, so to answer your questions on the gears/rings. Rings on the front, larger =harder, gears on the back, larger=easier. Don't cross as in big ring, big gear, or little ring, little gear; It puts tension on the chain and causes it to rub on the components. Big ring, little gear is okay(hardest), as is little ring, big gear(easiest). I wouldn't even worry about that though with the workout, you'll know when you can't click the right shifter anymore and it's hard as Hell that you've found the littlest gear.

As far as simulating hills, I've heard of people stacking phone books under their front tires, but mostly, just shift to harder gears so as to simulate the having to work harder to get up a hill. Not sure what to tell you about climbing out of the saddle on a trainer, I tried it yesterday and found it to be really awkward. Sounds like a Hell of a workout though. Good luck!

2013-01-20 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4587228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

DBGlobal - 2013-01-20 8:33 PM Randi, so to answer your questions on the gears/rings. Rings on the front, larger =harder, gears on the back, larger=easier. Don't cross as in big ring, big gear, or little ring, little gear; It puts tension on the chain and causes it to rub on the components. Big ring, little gear is okay(hardest), as is little ring, big gear(easiest). I wouldn't even worry about that though with the workout, you'll know when you can't click the right shifter anymore and it's hard as Hell that you've found the littlest gear.

As far as simulating hills, I've heard of people stacking phone books under their front tires, but mostly, just shift to harder gears so as to simulate the having to work harder to get up a hill. Not sure what to tell you about climbing out of the saddle on a trainer, I tried it yesterday and found it to be really awkward. Sounds like a Hell of a workout though. Good luck!

Thanks!  I'll let you know how I make out.  On tap in the early AM,  the entire family is headed to the pool for a swim workout.  Have my bike workout and hope to make yoga at 12:30, guess that will make up for doing nothing today.

2013-01-21 7:50 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ

Happy Monday!

This week is off to a strong start.  I rode 14.5 miles on the trainer yesterday (too cold and windy to get outside).  Then I swam 1200 yards this morning.  Tonight I plan on running at the gym while my son has basketball practice.  My goal for this week is to complete ALL of my training program sessions!

2013-01-21 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4587573

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Mfechter67 - 2013-01-21 8:50 AM

Happy Monday!

This week is off to a strong start.  I rode 14.5 miles on the trainer yesterday (too cold and windy to get outside).  Then I swam 1200 yards this morning.  Tonight I plan on running at the gym while my son has basketball practice.  My goal for this week is to complete ALL of my training program sessions!

BT really needs a like button!
2013-01-21 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
So, did a swim workout this morning 1800 yards and felt good to be in the pool. Only thing I did not finish was the cool down. Cut it short because Mike and the boys were already out of the pool. Then after some chores around the house I hopped on my bike to try that crazy workout. It was seriously tough. I realize that I have 18 gears, not 10. Anyway, started big ring, 3rd easiest gear so as not to cross the chain. Spent 3 minutes at each gear, then held the hardest gear for another 3 minutes before starting back to easier again. I call it my big ring ladder workout and had a total of 50 minutes on the trainer. I did not do the grind, fast, grind, stand part of the workout, had a hard enough time just making my way through the gears. No chance am I standing up either, it just feels way too awkward. No guilt for being lazy over the weekend anymore. Off to yoga in a little while,
2013-01-21 4:57 PM

One of the best tools I've got for swimming is a mechanical counter, like this:

http://www.tallycounterstore.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=34

I periodically spray in some WD-40.  Sits at the side of the pool - I stop long enough to hit the button, turn around and keep swimming.  I also use it on the track when running.  The only drawback I've ever had is at the outdoor pool during the summer, it's practically irresistable to small children.

2013-01-21 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4588369

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
I use one of these http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/4027.htm both for swimming and in my case, walking on the track, rather than running.   I like your idea but can definitely see it's appeal to kids.  Mike had one for baseball to count pitches for the boys but the boys would love to just click away when he set it down.
2013-01-21 7:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I went low tech on the lap count tonight.  I had four dumbbells on the deck.  For every interval I moved one into the gutter.  When they were all in the gutter it was time to switch to the next interval set.  For the middle interval I simply moved one weight for every 100 yards.  When the last one went in the gutter I knew I had only 100 yards to go.

But I think this payday I might just spring one of the ones Randy uses.

2013-01-21 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Swim - 1500 yds - 2:12/100 avg

Swim workout tonight. 1500 yds precisely as planned. 4x50, 3x100, 1x500, 3x100, 4x50. Nice progress. I have been so focused on hitting the mile that I didn't realize how close I am to race distance on that middle set.  Three more weeks and I will be meeting/exceeding the distance on my first race of the season.

Best of all, I cut my average time for 100 yards from 2:26 down to only 2:12. My goal before the April 7th race is to average under 2:00 for an entire 800 yard race. Tomorrow, the dreaded treadmill

2013-01-21 8:26 PM

I go even lower tech. I was going to purchase a lap counter when I was doing the 0-1650 plan, but I read somewhere on the forum somebody saying that they spell 4 letter words, one letter per length, one word per 100 (4 lengths), and progress through the alphabet. So for say a 300 set, I would spell Ants, Bats, Cars. For 1650 you would go to P, but have to remember to spell a 6 letter word at P. It actually worked pretty well for me. I haven't put anywhere near that distance in one set since, but still use it for anything more than 200.

And speaking of swimming, I also swam today. The workout was 1900 yd total. It went well enough, but I had a hard time getting into it. I just felt like I had no energy, and I was a little sore from yesterday's run. Unfortunately my rest day isn't until Saturday, but at least I had the day off to rest up today, and rest I did.

tomorrow is a hard day, with a shorter, but harder bike in the morning, and swim class in the evening. Hopefully I will have a bit more energy than today.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45