BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-07-16 11:09 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Beth, glad to hear that you did not hit the ground with your bottles.

Well Turtles It's about that time. I did a quick spin tonight because it was raining, which was not the 20 mile ride I wanted, but as we have discussed I'm going to look at it as happening for a reason. I have and will continue to pack tonight for us to leave out in the morning. 20 Hour drive over two days, and hopefully my back does not act up on me. I am very excited and equally or more some nervous. Part of me feels like I got this and then the other side says I can likely do it but did not do near enough or what I should have. I still feel like I have earned the right to toe the line on Sunday and will feel the same when I cross the finish line regardless of what the clock shows. I am going to try to continue to post and stay active, but will be working off wifi and a kindle, so it may be sketchy from time to time. It's getting closer to Turtle Time for me.

(Holds up sign) GO TODD!!!!!

I'm your official cheering section from Iowa. Remember what I told you, interact with the crowds and volunteers and it will be over before you know it. I had a blast at Racine last year and I'm sure you will too.

Good luck!!

2013-07-17 4:52 AM

, Alabama

Well Turtles It's about that time. I did a quick spin tonight because it was raining, which was not the 20 mile ride I wanted, but as we have discussed I'm going to look at it as happening for a reason. I have and will continue to pack tonight for us to leave out in the morning. 20 Hour drive over two days, and hopefully my back does not act up on me. I am very excited and equally or more some nervous. Part of me feels like I got this and then the other side says I can likely do it but did not do near enough or what I should have. I still feel like I have earned the right to toe the line on Sunday and will feel the same when I cross the finish line regardless of what the clock shows. I am going to try to continue to post and stay active, but will be working off wifi and a kindle, so it may be sketchy from time to time. It's getting closer to Turtle Time for me.

Good luck Todd!! Remember to enjoy it!
2013-07-17 5:22 AM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Woo hoo! Go for it ToddLaughing. Sounds like you'll have a blast. We'll all be gunning for you!
2013-07-17 5:45 AM

User image

New user

Turtle Time!! Have a great race Todd. We are all cheering for you!
2013-07-17 10:16 AM

Go, Todd, Go!
2013-07-17 11:38 AM
in reply to: RZ0

User image

Todd is this your half? That is freakin awesome! Be careful on that long drive. Good luck with the race, you've put in the work. You Will be fine!

2013-07-17 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

WooHoo! Go Turtle. Good luck Todd.

Beth, congrats on the race.
2013-07-17 9:44 PM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by corbetjackson50

Todd is this your half? That is freakin awesome! Be careful on that long drive. Good luck with the race, you've put in the work. You Will be fine!

Yep, it's mine and is my first half. Well we finished the first leg of just over ten hours, with around nine tomorrow to finish it out. Did an easy one mile jog and swam some laps and then played with the little one one at the hotel this evening. Now off to bed and hopefully wake feeling good. Thanks for y'all support.
2013-07-18 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Go get 'em Todd! We're all cheering you on!!!

I took my first lunchtime walk EVER today and am really excited about making this a routine! I've never had a job that was in a "walker friendly" area aside from my last one but the staff ate lunch together and took great offense to anyone skipping to do something else. I'll never understand how people manage lunchtime runs though. I always look like such a sweaty mess after a run regardless of temperature so being able to look decent enough to continue working is a mystery to me! I did forget my shoes today though so in my skirt and sandals just walked slowly while chatting with my mom on the phone for about 20 minutes. It's not as oppressively hot today as usual so it wasn't terrible. Does anyone else manage lunchtime workouts? How?
2013-07-18 2:17 PM
in reply to: Rnay225

Originally posted by Rnay225

Go get 'em Todd! We're all cheering you on!!!

I took my first lunchtime walk EVER today and am really excited about making this a routine! I've never had a job that was in a "walker friendly" area aside from my last one but the staff ate lunch together and took great offense to anyone skipping to do something else. I'll never understand how people manage lunchtime runs though. I always look like such a sweaty mess after a run regardless of temperature so being able to look decent enough to continue working is a mystery to me! I did forget my shoes today though so in my skirt and sandals just walked slowly while chatting with my mom on the phone for about 20 minutes. It's not as oppressively hot today as usual so it wasn't terrible. Does anyone else manage lunchtime workouts? How?

I think you have to be kind of lucky to have lunchtime workouts. It happened twice for me. Once, I worked for a company along Chicago's lakefront, and they had locker rooms in the basement. I used to run through Grant Park. Spectacular! Take elevator to basement, change, run 20-30 mins, shower, eat at desk.
A few years later, in Manhattan, I worked at a company that paid for a health club about a block away. I'd dash over to spin class. Even then, it would take about 1:15 instead of just an hour. I was a supervisor so it worked out.
The keys, I think, are access to something nearby and having a certain amount of autonomy.
2013-07-19 9:22 PM
in reply to: RZ0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well gang, here's what's been going on.

This morning I went for a fifteen minute swim and my goodness was it freaking cold. I am not used to slow water and it took me over 30 seconds longer for each 100 I swam. I just lost my breath everything my face hit the water. I then went out for a 10 mile ride, which was nice once my legs warmed up and i could feel them again . I then got back in the suit and the water for a 12 minute swim and once again the cold water just drove me nuts. I have no choice now but to get in the water and swim on Sunday. Spilled milk is that I did not buy a full wetsuit, but even that would do little for the water hitting my face. By the way I was told the temp this morning was 58. We left the beach and I got in an hour or so nap.

Registered tonight and it was really cool to have the feeling that I was about to do what I have been working to do for over six months now. #1641 for me and an 8:00 swim start.

2013-07-20 4:59 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
I had to convert 58 F to celcius to really get a grasp on that, but man, that's cold water to swim in. No wonder you're slower, that kind of cold just takes your breath away! 
2013-07-20 8:50 AM

User image

Todd that water is fridged! someone told me once (can't remember who so Im not sure the credibility) that for each 1 degree difference between water an air temp feels like 7 degrees difference. So if the air is 78 and water is 58 the initial shock feels like 140 degree drop. Sounds a little off but still 58 is brutal. Its a good thing you went for a practice swim so you know what your in for.

Water temp of the lake Im swimming in one week is 81 :-)
2013-07-20 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran

This morning I went for a fifteen minute swim and my goodness was it freaking cold. I am not used to slow water and it took me over 30 seconds longer for each 100 I swam. I just lost my breath everything my face hit the water. I then went out for a 10 mile ride, which was nice once my legs warmed up and i could feel them again . I then got back in the suit and the water for a 12 minute swim and once again the cold water just drove me nuts. I have no choice now but to get in the water and swim on Sunday. Spilled milk is that I did not buy a full wetsuit, but even that would do little for the water hitting my face. By the way I was told the temp this morning was 58. We left the beach and I got in an hour or so nap.

Registered tonight and it was really cool to have the feeling that I was about to do what I have been working to do for over six months now. #1641 for me and an 8:00 swim start.

I remember doing the same thing when I was there. And I even had the benefit of a full sleeve wetsuit. You'll do great tomorrow, we're all cheering for you!
2013-07-20 10:20 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

Originally posted by Hubbie

I remember doing the same thing when I was there. And I even had the benefit of a full sleeve wetsuit. You'll do great tomorrow, we're all cheering for you!

58 degree water is cold cold cold - like hypothermia cold. I hope you meant the air temperature.
I swam today in 72 degree water, and that was cold enough for me. But I'm pretty wimpy.
2013-07-21 9:07 AM

User image

Finish strong Todd!

2013-07-21 10:05 AM

User image

New user
If anyone is interested - you can track Todd's race here:

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx?race...

GO TODD!
2013-07-21 6:33 PM

User image

I see Todd logged on about an hour ago. So we know he is alive still lol. I hear the swim was rough. I couldn't remember todd's last name if i ever knew it to track or see his finish time.

I know you will tell us all about it when you catch your breath.
2013-07-21 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yes, I am alive

Overall Rank: 1188
BIB: 1641
Division: M35-39

Swim: 43:50
Bike: 2:55:21
Run: 2:27:24
Overall: 6:17:03

Well, it was a day to remember. I don't know how correct it is but I heard that approximately 200 people, pulled out before, during, or after the swim. It was terrible, but now becuase of temp. like I feared. The water seriously had 4ish foot waves throughout. I had to back stroke some and actually thought about pulling out. I decided that I would likely drown before I did that, so I continued on, found a bit of a grove and finished. (the swim time was 7 -10 minutes longer than I expected, which is about the extra time that most said it took them. The bike went pretty well and I averaged of 19 for the 56 miles. The run was pretty difficult because it had been a long day and I averaged right at 11:00. I feel pretty good right now, with the exception of some pain in my calves. It was a truly memorable experience and a great time all things considered. I will try to post some pictures when I get home on the 29th, unable to now. Thanks you to everyone for your well wishes before, during, and after the race.
2013-07-21 10:36 PM

User image

Veteran

Yes, I am alive

Overall Rank: 1188
BIB: 1641
Division: M35-39

Swim: 43:50
Bike: 2:55:21
Run: 2:27:24
Overall: 6:17:03

Well, it was a day to remember. I don't know how correct it is but I heard that approximately 200 people, pulled out before, during, or after the swim. It was terrible, but now becuase of temp. like I feared. The water seriously had 4ish foot waves throughout. I had to back stroke some and actually thought about pulling out. I decided that I would likely drown before I did that, so I continued on, found a bit of a grove and finished. (the swim time was 7 -10 minutes longer than I expected, which is about the extra time that most said it took them. The bike went pretty well and I averaged of 19 for the 56 miles. The run was pretty difficult because it had been a long day and I averaged right at 11:00. I feel pretty good right now, with the exception of some pain in my calves. It was a truly memorable experience and a great time all things considered. I will try to post some pictures when I get home on the 29th, unable to now. Thanks you to everyone for your well wishes before, during, and after the race.

Contratulations IRONMAN!!!!!!! Such a wonderfull feeling. Be sure to post pics of your medal too.

Beth
2013-07-22 2:24 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Todd, that's an impressive achievement. Congratulations on finishing, and major kudos for digging deep and making it through the swim. You're an inspiration!

2013-07-22 10:12 AM
in reply to: Taringa

Great work, Todd!
2013-07-22 12:12 PM

, Alabama
Well done Todd, many congratulations, that is seriously impressive!!
2013-07-23 9:06 AM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Veteran
Louisville
CONGRATULATIONS TODD!!!! What an accomplishment! So impressed you were able to stick with it!
2013-07-23 10:53 AM

User image

Race this weekend! Getting nervous! Im nowhere near where I hoped to be at this point. Im hoping to able to finish without pushing my bike up any hills and without walking on the run. (the run is where i think i will tire out) I have actually never swam my race distance which is about 950 yards. I have also not done any open water swimming since training for a triathlon. I used to swim in the rivers and lakes but only short distances. Im not intimidated by the depth or critters.

I keep telling my self there is no reason to be nervous but that's not really working.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45