2011-01-27 10:49 PM
in reply to: #3325931

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
gabrelsj - 2011-01-27 8:40 PM
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-27 8:25 PM

I really haven't felt well the last couple of days, so haven't managed to get anything done. I'm hoping it's not all psychological. I have a tendancy to self sabotage.

Back on the wagon tomorrow with a run in the morning and a swim in the evening. Unfortunately, the run will have to be on the treadmill as we got yet more snow.Yell While the roads are kind of 'plowed' we have absolutely nowhere to put it so our normal running routes have become these skinny little danger zones.

Looks like everyone else is doing a great job. Nice work team!

First, I had to stop beating myself up.  It is counter productive.  Does no good toward goal.  Then I had to inventory what was the issue.  Motivation is a strong point of mine.  A suggestion:  Quit listening to your head.  My voices never help me.  There is one who is screaming get fit, get fit.  I focused on that one and just kept at it until the workouts become habit.  I don't think about it.  I look at the plan and go do it. Auto pilot.  Before long, you can't live without doing something. 

And second, when you try something like new nutrition and it doesnt work, GREAT! You have eliminated something that won't work.  You've learned something.  That is the point around here.  Not every shot will be a bullseye.  In fact I've learned as much by mistakes than through successes, though the successes are always more fun.  Eventually every mistake, everything you try that doesn't work helps narrow in on what will work. 

Nutrition is a personal thing. What works for one doesnt always work for another.  Ultrarunner Dean Karnazes carries a cellphone and a credit card for nutrition.  He orders a pineapple pizza delivered on his route, he rolls it like a burrito and he eats it. That would put me on the curb.  He runs 100 miles.  Macca runs the marathon and drinks cokes.  I know why...caffeine and sugar.  Im not sure my tummy will take it. Too much acid. Gonna try it when I can run outside.

I have started to focus on on Hammer products.  They work for me.  Perpetulum is great for long distance fueling.  A fluid.  I like the coffee tasting one...has caffeine for pain and lowering perceived exertion.  I also like to dissolve Gu Chocolate Outrage in small fluid bottles.  I can put 400 to 500 cals in one little bitty bottle.  Drink it over two hours.  Tastes good and sits on my stomach.

So try stuff.  See what flavors work for you.  Give yourself about 250 cals an hour on workouts 3 hours and more.  You will find what works.

But above all, try things.  I love this triathlon stuff cause I can try so many things on the run, bike, swim, nutrition, strength, yoga and flex... so much to learn.  Always fresh.

Have a terrific day.

good luck with run and swim.  keep pushing.

Edited by IceManScott 2011-01-27 10:51 PM

2011-01-28 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Jason, Scott hit it right on the head.  Sometimes failure helps more than success in training. If something upsets your stomach in mid distance run you know it will kill you in a HIM.   What stinks is when you do just fine in training and then you get to the race and something goes wrong.  Thats when you have to figure out what caused it (too much water/too little, too hot/cold, wrong breakfast/snack/meal night before).  I have said it before but its taken me 5 time to "think" I have my IM nutrition nailed.  I am still not 100% sure its fool proof but much more than I was 1 year ago. 

Plus for you, your able to test it in another week. My body cannot do IM's every couple week to tweak things... :-)

Since you took nuuns and gel I would try just the gel next time.  Also I'm not a gel person so there are other options (chomps/blocks).  Just play around with it.  The other problem you could have is whatever you do right now may be good but once it warms up it may change.  To be honest most would not need that much nutrition on an 8mile run so you could have just overloaded ?

Hang in there you will figure something out. 
2011-01-28 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3326387

User image

Veteran
razorxp - 2011-01-28 8:12 AM Jason, Scott hit it right on the head.  Sometimes failure helps more than success in training. If something upsets your stomach in mid distance run you know it will kill you in a HIM.   What stinks is when you do just fine in training and then you get to the race and something goes wrong.  Thats when you have to figure out what caused it (too much water/too little, too hot/cold, wrong breakfast/snack/meal night before).  I have said it before but its taken me 5 time to "think" I have my IM nutrition nailed.  I am still not 100% sure its fool proof but much more than I was 1 year ago. 

Plus for you, your able to test it in another week. My body cannot do IM's every couple week to tweak things... :-)

Since you took nuuns and gel I would try just the gel next time.  Also I'm not a gel person so there are other options (chomps/blocks).  Just play around with it.  The other problem you could have is whatever you do right now may be good but once it warms up it may change.  To be honest most would not need that much nutrition on an 8mile run so you could have just overloaded ?

Hang in there you will figure something out. 

thanks for all the thoughts and ideas from everyone.  i did try a new gel and that might have done me in.  i have had nuuns before by itself and no problem but maybe the combo was too much.  the reason i did two gels was to just try it to see how i reacted.  well i found out.

i will next try the blocks, the gels are hard for me to get down as i hate the texture. 

i am happy that the tums helped quickly when i used them.  i will make sure i have those for the race.
2011-01-28 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Just a suggestion and you don't have to buy their products but Hammer Nutrition has a lot of good research on their page about  how many calories to take in and why.  They limit it to 250 to 300 an hour because your body can't absorb more.  When you try to force more, the GI tract rebels. 

2011-01-28 9:00 AM

Burlington
Has anyone ever picked up "Total Immersion" for swimming? If so, did it help? Thoughts? Suggestions?

2011-01-28 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3326526

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
brybrymd - 2011-01-28 9:00 AM Has anyone ever picked up "Total Immersion" for swimming? If so, did it help? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Yes and yes.  Helps with basic ideas about what good form should look like and why.   Head down, elbows up, balanced, hips turning from side to side.  It helped me understand how little things can add to big gains.  On the other hand, it had me swinging too much, I think.  My legs were not able to kick properly.  I toned it down a bit, practiced with finds and am doing really good now.  Check out YouTube.  There is a lot of stuff on it there free. See what you think.  I would love to go to a clinic with someone who teaches it. 

2011-01-28 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3326480

User image

Veteran
IceManScott - 2011-01-28 8:46 AM Just a suggestion and you don't have to buy their products but Hammer Nutrition has a lot of good research on their page about  how many calories to take in and why.  They limit it to 250 to 300 an hour because your body can't absorb more.  When you try to force more, the GI tract rebels. 

thanks- good site. 
2011-01-28 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3326535

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
IceManScott - 2011-01-28 9:06 AM
brybrymd - 2011-01-28 9:00 AM Has anyone ever picked up "Total Immersion" for swimming? If so, did it help? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Yes and yes.  Helps with basic ideas about what good form should look like and why.   Head down, elbows up, balanced, hips turning from side to side.  It helped me understand how little things can add to big gains.  On the other hand, it had me swinging too much, I think.  My legs were not able to kick properly.  I toned it down a bit, practiced with finds and am doing really good now.  Check out YouTube.  There is a lot of stuff on it there free. See what you think.  I would love to go to a clinic with someone who teaches it. 

I haven't gone whole hog on watching the Total Immersion videos but implemented some of what was shown.   I learned through Swim Smooth that as a result of "just catching on" I may have introduced a dead spot in my stroke.  I picked up the pace a little more and made sure that my arms are ALWAYS moving, even if that includes extending.  It's at the end of the extension that the dead spot usually occurs, so the moment I feel fully extended, I start my pull.
2011-01-28 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3326721

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
robburkett - 2011-01-28 10:04 AM
IceManScott - 2011-01-28 9:06 AM

I haven't gone whole hog on watching the Total Immersion videos but implemented some of what was shown.   I learned through Swim Smooth that as a result of "just catching on" I may have introduced a dead spot in my stroke.  I picked up the pace a little more and made sure that my arms are ALWAYS moving, even if that includes extending.  It's at the end of the extension that the dead spot usually occurs, so the moment I feel fully extended, I start my pull.

Dead spots - that was what TI introduced.  They want you to glide.  But it translated to a dead spot every stroke for me.  I'm sure a TI instructor could work e through it.,  But as you say, Mr. Smooth and some things I read took it back out. One was to increase cadence as you say.   Didn't swing as much, my kick became effective to keep my butt up, I feel more fluid in the water and no dead spot and all without feeling like I'm working any harder.  Maybe even a bit less.

2011-01-28 3:36 PM

Burlington
Thanks guys! Great input!
2011-01-28 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
I would say the best thing about TI video is the drills they show you how to do..

So what is everyones goals for Feb? (except for Scott who has a strict plan)  Lets all post goals for the month broken out by the week so we can see how we are doing on them. 

2011-01-28 10:48 PM
in reply to: #3328013

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-01-28 10:23 PM I would say the best thing about TI video is the drills they show you how to do..

So what is everyones goals for Feb? (except for Scott who has a strict plan)  Lets all post goals for the month broken out by the week so we can see how we are doing on them. 

Hey Coach.

I will try to lay out some goals for everyone in the morning. Just got home from a dissapointing loss in our first curling match tonight. Lost in extra ends - OUCH - I hate losing.

On a better note however, I did get a swim in today Smile which makes me happy because I did not think I would.

However, does not look like I will have time for anything else this weekend. Frown

Hope you enjoy the weekend Coach.

KC
2011-01-28 10:59 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Team.

I hope everyone had a great Friday. I probably won't be able to post Saturday so if I don't, good luck and enjoy whatever you have planned for the weekend.

KC
2011-01-28 11:13 PM
in reply to: #3326526

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
brybrymd - 2011-01-28 10:00 AM Has anyone ever picked up "Total Immersion" for swimming? If so, did it help? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Hey Bry.

I watch it all on line. I am sure it is helping. There is also a lot of other info and vids on line that are great as well.

KC
2011-01-29 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
SEs today 3X20 mins @ 85% with 3 X 1 min pops up to 120%.  Coach;'s notes start "These are the hardest SEs."  Oh, boy!  Low cadence, high power like climbing very long hills.

Doing 3 hours on the IM Moo course real vid tomorrow.  Ought to see it all then.

Question:  Any one tried Rumble Rollers yet?  Supposed to be harshest rollers yet for deep tissue.  Looking for more and better ways to relax the muscles.   They come in two densities, regular and extra stiff for folks with extra problems.  Wonder if I qualify in the latter group. Thinking not...I get relief from regular rollers from other companies but want deeper massage.  The others are for people who don't get any relief.  One thing - called the company yesterday about 1...answering machine...no return call.  Must be making all the money they need.
2011-01-29 9:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
I got some awesome news yesterday...so I'm going to splurge today and get the Specialized tri shoes that take SPD and LOOK cleats!  Then I'm all set for spin and tri.

My Feb goals are pretty simple.

Weekly - hit or exceed(within reason) my training volumes.  I need to set myself up well to move into March. 

Feb 20th - Indoor "triathlon" - 10 min swim, 30 min bike, 20 min run.  I don't have a PR goal for this but I do want to throw down a VERY solid performance.  I know, I know - it's indoor tri, but still it's a "race" and I want to kick some azz.

Month of Feb - learn the nutritional tricks o' the trade regarding the Oly and HIM.  For the Oly, I'm thinking I'll need something on the bike.  HIM - I have no idea.

2011-01-29 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3328312

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
robburkett - 2011-01-29 10:29 AM I got some awesome news yesterday...so I'm going to splurge today and get the Specialized tri shoes that take SPD and LOOK cleats!  Then I'm all set for spin and tri.

My Feb goals are pretty simple.

Weekly - hit or exceed(within reason) my training volumes.  I need to set myself up well to move into March. 

Feb 20th - Indoor "triathlon" - 10 min swim, 30 min bike, 20 min run.  I don't have a PR goal for this but I do want to throw down a VERY solid performance.  I know, I know - it's indoor tri, but still it's a "race" and I want to kick some azz.

Month of Feb - learn the nutritional tricks o' the trade regarding the Oly and HIM.  For the Oly, I'm thinking I'll need something on the bike.  HIM - I have no idea.

Great plans - go get it! Glad to hear you got some good news. Have a great day.
KC
2011-01-29 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3328324

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Need Your input..... As I have said before, I use a pedometor because I am horrible at rembering exactly where I have been when I get home.  Well today I looked at my run from yesterday on line and found that I was off about .4 mile!  So, how do you all mark your distances?  This is getting more important since I am running my 1st 5k in march.  Thanks for the help.

My goals for Feb. is to add my swim training and really buckle downon everything.  I have no expectations on distances yet until I get into this program.  I'll keep you all updated.   
2011-01-29 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
my goal for feb is to follow my plan.  i want to continue adding to my base.  my weeks are 3 runs, 3 bikes and 2-3 swims.  i will probably lean toward 3 swims per week until i get more comfortable.  i also want to start working on mental aspect of my race. 

i also hope the weather is good enough to get outdoors on my bike.
2011-01-29 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3328379

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
ltcsh1 - 2011-01-29 10:53 AM Need Your input..... As I have said before, I use a pedometor because I am horrible at rembering exactly where I have been when I get home.  Well today I looked at my run from yesterday on line and found that I was off about .4 mile!  So, how do you all mark your distances?  This is getting more important since I am running my 1st 5k in march.  Thanks for the help.

My goals for Feb. is to add my swim training and really buckle downon everything.  I have no expectations on distances yet until I get into this program.  I'll keep you all updated.   

I used Nike+ all last year and I'm now starting to use the Nike GPS app.  People will complain about their accuracy too but when you calibrate them they're good enough and won't be off by .4 mile.  You don't have to have an IPod/IPhone to use them either if you haven't looked into it.  They sell a bracelet/sensor set that will record your basic info.  I didn't have any surprises on race day going slower/faster than I expected.
2011-01-29 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Hi Everyone, I will catch up with logs tomorrow night. Had to do a decent workout today and off to our office "Christmas party" long story as to why its now.  Anyway I am taking our staff and some big clients out to dinner and comedy club so I am guessing I need to workout about 15hrs tomorrow to make up for the calories tonight.  Be safe

I just glanced but what is the goo news???????  That is awsome in this economy for any good news!!

2011-01-29 10:13 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Just got home from a long day at the curling rink - my team is getting beat bad - possibly 3 more games tomorrow but the way we are tossing the rocks - it could be an early departure. Overall - so far - a bad two days on the ice - hell I think I would have rather been swimming LOL.

But, tomorrow is a different day and there is still a chance to bring home some hardware.

Have a great night.

KC
2011-01-29 10:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I bought a Garmin 310 XT last year for pacing and distance on the run.  There are cheaper GPS watches that do the same...provide distance and pace and overall time. 
2011-01-29 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3328654

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
razorxp - 2011-01-29 3:26 PM Hi Everyone, I will catch up with logs tomorrow night. Had to do a decent workout today and off to our office "Christmas party" long story as to why its now.  Anyway I am taking our staff and some big clients out to dinner and comedy club so I am guessing I need to workout about 15hrs tomorrow to make up for the calories tonight.  Be safe

I just glanced but what is the goo news???????  That is awsome in this economy for any good news!!

Hope you had a fun time.  If you work in IT and had a major deliverable at the end of the year, then I can understand having the party now.

My good news - a bonus.   First one I ever got.  I fell into a really long string of good luck over the last year.

63 minutes on the bike today.  Nice and easy.  Hope everyone had a good day!
2011-01-29 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3328654

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

Echo

Edited by robburkett 2011-01-29 10:57 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76