General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-08-30 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3693947

Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Someone was asking earlier in the year about how to climb and ride the bike corse.  Cycling is my best sport, and I've been able to average 20.5-21.0 mph and 5:20-5:35 bike split over multiple Ironman Wisconsin races.  Hopefully some last-minute advice can help for race day.

The best advice I can give is: shift early, spin often, and keep your butt on the saddle.  If you need to stand to stretch your legs, that’s fine.  However, if you feel like you need to stand, count to 10 and the feeling will pass.  I only stand four places on the course, and I do so for very specific reasons and never for more than 15-30 seconds.  There are two corners and two climbs where I use a little more power to gain a little more speed to set me up for the next stretch.  I’ve found that the minimal effort will provide me with a minute or two gain over the bike.  I am often passed on hills over the first half of the bike, but I have never been passed by someone who has stayed ahead of me.  I have always re-passed them and stayed ahead until the end of the bike. 

I don’t have a power meter, but I do have a heart rate monitor that I wear on race day (usually not with training because I don’t pay much attention to it).  On race day, my heart rate is usually 130-135 bpm for most of the ride.  My heart rate is usually lower and stays lower than most other people, but I usually work much less on the bike too. 

They say that the Ironman race really doesn’t start until mile 80 of the bike.  The race before that is just a warmup.  If you follow that logic, which is good, worry about making nice circles until you get to Cross Plains the second loop.  Going a little easier on the bike will save you an hour on the run if you have to walk part of the marathon.

I look forward to seeing all of your fast, happy faces going past me at the Run Special Needs station.

Good skill!  (You don't need luck, you've got skill.)

2012-08-30 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4388660

User image

Expert
pnelson - 2012-08-30 4:07 PM

Someone was asking earlier in the year about how to climb and ride the bike corse.  Cycling is my best sport, and I've been able to average 20.5-21.0 mph and 5:20-5:35 bike split over multiple Ironman Wisconsin races.  Hopefully some last-minute advice can help for race day.

The best advice I can give is: shift early, spin often, and keep your butt on the saddle.  If you need to stand to stretch your legs, that’s fine.  However, if you feel like you need to stand, count to 10 and the feeling will pass.  I only stand four places on the course, and I do so for very specific reasons and never for more than 15-30 seconds.  There are two corners and two climbs where I use a little more power to gain a little more speed to set me up for the next stretch.  I’ve found that the minimal effort will provide me with a minute or two gain over the bike.  I am often passed on hills over the first half of the bike, but I have never been passed by someone who has stayed ahead of me.  I have always re-passed them and stayed ahead until the end of the bike. 

I don’t have a power meter, but I do have a heart rate monitor that I wear on race day (usually not with training because I don’t pay much attention to it).  On race day, my heart rate is usually 130-135 bpm for most of the ride.  My heart rate is usually lower and stays lower than most other people, but I usually work much less on the bike too. 

They say that the Ironman race really doesn’t start until mile 80 of the bike.  The race before that is just a warmup.  If you follow that logic, which is good, worry about making nice circles until you get to Cross Plains the second loop.  Going a little easier on the bike will save you an hour on the run if you have to walk part of the marathon.

I look forward to seeing all of your fast, happy faces going past me at the Run Special Needs station.

What are these locations?  I assume it is two locations that you go through twice (once per loop)?  I plan on driving the course on Friday (with Mighty Mom!) and wouldn't mind knowing these locations so that I can watch for them.

I have ridden the course a few times on the computrainer and have noticed one tricky corner - after a long decent there is a sharp right and then righ into a fairly steep climb. (I think that is Garfoot onto KP?) And there were a couple of right hand corner during climbs that if you were on the inside would be pretty steep (Valley Rd onto Sugar River Road I think and White road onto County rd k I think).  There were also some short steep rollers coming out of Mount Horeb, but these are likely much harder on the computrainer.

2012-08-30 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4388742

Daffodil - 2012-08-30 3:51 PM

What are these locations?  I assume it is two locations that you go through twice (once per loop)?  I plan on driving the course on Friday (with Mighty Mom!) and wouldn't mind knowing these locations so that I can watch for them.

I have ridden the course a few times on the computrainer and have noticed one tricky corner - after a long decent there is a sharp right and then righ into a fairly steep climb. (I think that is Garfoot onto KP?) And there were a couple of right hand corner during climbs that if you were on the inside would be pretty steep (Valley Rd onto Sugar River Road I think and White road onto County rd k I think).  There were also some short steep rollers coming out of Mount Horeb, but these are likely much harder on the computrainer.

You want me to share all my best secrets?  Only if it stays within the club.

I'll preface my strategy by noting that I'm looking to save a few seconds here and there and no more than a minute or two overall.  I'd only recommend occasionally climbing out of the saddle for someone who is looking to ride under 5:30.  I stand for a short burst on two corners that are steep on the inside and come and the end of a hill (don't they all?).  Both are ones you refer to above.  The first is Valley Rd. to Sugar River Rd. (just after leaving the special needs bike).  It is a right turn at the top of a short hill followed another short rise.  The inside is slightly banked, so I stand a bit to get a few bike lengths before a fast downhill.  The next is another right turn with a steep inside at the top of a hill.  It is Witte Rd. turning right on Hwy. J (just after leaving Mt. Horeb.  I also often stand going over the last two major hills between Cross Plains and Verona.  It helps me make speed over the top and onto relative flat parts of the course.

As far as descents, there are a few tricky ones on Garfoot Rd. and one at the south end of Timber Ln.  Turning left onto Garfoot from Hwy. J (just after Witte) the approach is slightly downhill, the turn is slightly downhill and steep on the inside, followed by a little downhill and can be a little fast is you're not aware of it.  Turning onto Garfoot again from W. Mineral Point Rd. (Garfoot jogs bank and forth a bit) is like the previous turn, downhill into it, downhill right turn with a steep inside, followed by more downhill.  NEXT IS THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF THE ENTIRE LOOP.  After a small hill, there is a slight downhill, followed by a steep, fast, right curve.  IF YOU DO NOT BRAKE, YOU WILL END UP IN THE FOREST.  There are volunteers that will tell you to slow down before the turn.  LISTEN TO THEM!!!  I usually come into the turn at 45 mph and slow down to 25-30.  It is impossible to see the entire curve until you are upon it and it is too late.  Be aware of the other riders around you that might not be as aware of the curve as you.  The last turn of caution is at the south end of Timber Ln.  There is a very steep short hill that leads into a  sharp left curve.  You can see the entire curve, so there are no volunteers to warn you.  There is also often gravel across the road on the curve.  As far as the other hills on Witte and Garfoot, I don't know how difficult you're expecting, but I usually get down to 9 mph climbing and 35 at the bottom.  They're not very long, so you won't burn up, but you will by the second loop if you've been standing on all of them.  Stay calm and carry on.

2012-08-30 5:07 PM

User image

Expert
IM newbie question but I can't find any info on this - So if I have someone get my bike for me while I am on the run course, do they also get my transition bags or do we have to pick those up separate?  If they do give the transition bags with the bike do they have them there or does the person picking up the bike need to know they have to grab those?  Or do we pick those up the next A.M.? Just trying to figure out how much detail I need to waste giving my wife for her to just mess it up-haha
2012-08-30 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4388890

User image

Expert

tmoran80 - 2012-08-30 6:07 PM IM newbie question but I can't find any info on this - So if I have someone get my bike for me while I am on the run course, do they also get my transition bags or do we have to pick those up separate?  If they do give the transition bags with the bike do they have them there or does the person picking up the bike need to know they have to grab those?  Or do we pick those up the next A.M.? Just trying to figure out how much detail I need to waste giving my wife for her to just mess it up-haha

They can also get the transition bags.  DH got my bike and Transition bags for me at IMFL, but he can't remember if he had to go around to different places to get them or if they were all in one location.

2012-08-30 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
They both are picked up at Monono Terrace, but different locations. You'll pick your bags up from the same room that you'll be dropping your T1 bags off at. Bikes get picked up underneath the pedestrian walkway. It'll be obvious what I'm poorly explaining when you're there.

2012-08-30 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4388890

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

tmoran80 - 2012-08-30 5:07 PM IM newbie question but I can't find any info on this - So if I have someone get my bike for me while I am on the run course, do they also get my transition bags or do we have to pick those up separate?  If they do give the transition bags with the bike do they have them there or does the person picking up the bike need to know they have to grab those?  Or do we pick those up the next A.M.? Just trying to figure out how much detail I need to waste giving my wife for her to just mess it up-haha

The person picking up your bike needs the card you get in your registration packet.  They present the card and an attendant will bring up the bike.  You need to go to the rooms where you originally picked up your T1/T2 bags to get those.  Much easier to get the bags first and then the bike.  

2012-08-30 9:30 PM

User image

SSMinnow: the reviews I read we're all recent like within the last few months.
My wife called and asked the manager about a few of our concerns. He confirmed they do allow dogs up to 40 lbs but hesitantly denied any problems with bed bugs.
My wife and I agreed that the stress of a run down hotel with three children ( one being just over a month old) was worth a few extra dollars so we went ahead and cancelled our reservations.
Ended up finding rooms at a courtyard by Marriott within 5 miles of the race start. I feel a lot better knowing I won't be stressing over a pissed off wife the few days before the race and won't have to listen to dogs barking the night before the race while I'm trying to sleep!
2012-08-30 11:09 PM
in reply to: #4387793

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kevin_trapp - 2012-08-30 7:46 AM
ersnyder3654 - 2012-08-30 8:16 AM
kevin_trapp - 2012-08-30 7:59 AM

Kath2163 - 2012-08-29 7:16 PM Best of luck to all of you! I am going to be body marking so that I have the whole day to cheer you on. I plan on signing up the next day and am curious if anyone has suggestions about hotels for 2013. I am sure they fill up fast and I would like to be close to the race site.

After you register, you'll go through a room with computers set up for booking hotels at all the downtown locations.  They're all going to require a minimum 3 night stay and they jack their rates up.  If you want to stay within a couple blocks of start, plan on dropping close to a grand for the hotel.  Also, these hotels are only available through the onsite booking process, at least for awhile.  This year, I'm staying at the University Inn, about a mile west of the race, $600 for the three nights.  I booked the reservation about two weeks after last year's race.  Another option is to stay at the Holiday Inn Express on John Nolan Dr.  It's a couple miles away, but it's right across the street from the race shuttle and they don't start taking reservations until a couple of weeks after this year's race.

You can also try the Ruby Marie hotel to find out when they begin taking reservations.  They're a tiny hotel about two blocks north of the race, and I don't think they're involved in the onsite booking (I could be wrong on that).  They're relatively cheap, $160-$260/night depending on room size, but only have a couple of rooms to offer.

Not all of the hotels available at the on-site booking are that expensive.  I booked the AmericInn Madison-West, which admittedly is a little bit of a drive, but no 3-night minimum and total came to about $180.  Something to consider if you do these things on a budget like me.  I know there were other affordable options available too, some may even have been closer to the start.

From what I've found, hotels within about a 2 mile radius all require the 3 night minimum.  And hotels within a block or two of Monono Terrace are going to cost you a grand.  You can definitely find some further out that won't break the bank.  If you plan to stay a little ways out, the shuttle from the Alliant Energy Center is great.  I've used it twice, last year as a volunteer and 2010 as a racer.  Both times there was no waiting and no worries of trying to figure out how to get downtown.

Thanks for all the tips about hotels and rentals.  I really appreciate it! 

2012-08-31 6:02 AM
in reply to: #4388872

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
pnelson - 2012-08-30 5:57 PM
Daffodil - 2012-08-30 3:51 PM

You want me to share all my best secrets?  Only if it stays within the club.

I'll preface my strategy by noting that I'm looking to save a few seconds here and there and no more than a minute or two overall.  I'd only recommend occasionally climbing out of the saddle for someone who is looking to ride under 5:30.  I stand for a short burst on two corners that are steep on the inside and come and the end of a hill (don't they all?).  Both are ones you refer to above.  The first is Valley Rd. to Sugar River Rd. (just after leaving the special needs bike).  It is a right turn at the top of a short hill followed another short rise.  The inside is slightly banked, so I stand a bit to get a few bike lengths before a fast downhill.  The next is another right turn with a steep inside at the top of a hill.  It is Witte Rd. turning right on Hwy. J (just after leaving Mt. Horeb.  I also often stand going over the last two major hills between Cross Plains and Verona.  It helps me make speed over the top and onto relative flat parts of the course.

As far as descents, there are a few tricky ones on Garfoot Rd. and one at the south end of Timber Ln.  Turning left onto Garfoot from Hwy. J (just after Witte) the approach is slightly downhill, the turn is slightly downhill and steep on the inside, followed by a little downhill and can be a little fast is you're not aware of it.  Turning onto Garfoot again from W. Mineral Point Rd. (Garfoot jogs bank and forth a bit) is like the previous turn, downhill into it, downhill right turn with a steep inside, followed by more downhill.  NEXT IS THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF THE ENTIRE LOOP.  After a small hill, there is a slight downhill, followed by a steep, fast, right curve.  IF YOU DO NOT BRAKE, YOU WILL END UP IN THE FOREST.  There are volunteers that will tell you to slow down before the turn.  LISTEN TO THEM!!!  I usually come into the turn at 45 mph and slow down to 25-30.  It is impossible to see the entire curve until you are upon it and it is too late.  Be aware of the other riders around you that might not be as aware of the curve as you.  The last turn of caution is at the south end of Timber Ln.  There is a very steep short hill that leads into a  sharp left curve.  You can see the entire curve, so there are no volunteers to warn you.  There is also often gravel across the road on the curve.  As far as the other hills on Witte and Garfoot, I don't know how difficult you're expecting, but I usually get down to 9 mph climbing and 35 at the bottom.  They're not very long, so you won't burn up, but you will by the second loop if you've been standing on all of them.  Stay calm and carry on.

Thank you for this.  I've been meaning to ask about Garfoot.  I'll be printing it out and bringing it with us for our drive!  

2012-08-31 8:17 AM

User image

Expert

So another month of training in the bag.  How did everyone's August go?.  Only 9 days left until race day!  Eeeee!  We are all ready.

August went pretty well.  Hit all my workouts in the last three weeks of the build.  Might not have hit the intended intensity, but I find doing the higher intensity stuff during this time was difficult.  Hard to get your legs moving fas when they are so tired!!!

Heading into taper, I got sick and missed a few workouts, but I think I did pretty well.  I'm starting to have pep in my step again and have had to runs at LT this week no problem!

August totals - biggest bike month ever with my two biggest individual weeks ever!

Bike:

38h 00m 30s  - 982.51 KM

Run:

20h 36m 36s  - 187.25 KM

Swim:

7h 36m  - 22750 M

Edited by Daffodil 2012-08-31 8:17 AM

2012-08-31 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4389465

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Daffodil - 2012-08-31 8:17 AM

So another month of training in the bag.  How did everyone's August go?.  Only 9 days left until race day!  Eeeee!  We are all ready.

August went pretty well.  Hit all my workouts in the last three weeks of the build.  Might not have hit the intended intensity, but I find doing the higher intensity stuff during this time was difficult.  Hard to get your legs moving fas when they are so tired!!!

Heading into taper, I got sick and missed a few workouts, but I think I did pretty well.  I'm starting to have pep in my step again and have had to runs at LT this week no problem!

August totals - biggest bike month ever with my two biggest individual weeks ever!

Bike:

38h 00m 30s  - 982.51 KM

Run:

20h 36m 36s  - 187.25 KM

Swim:

7h 36m  - 22750 M

Impressive work there Daffodil.  Looks like u kicked my azz in hours on everything cept the swim.  Good job!  I'm really looking forward to IMWI and find myself thinking about it constantly now.  Anyway, out on the course I'll be one of the few people this year sporting a Donkey Jersey (big Donkey head on the front) with a tribute to 9/11 on the back.  If you see me slowly making my way around the course, don't hesitate to say hi!

Here were my numbers for August:

Bike:    33h 32m 58s  - 551.99 Mi
Run:    16h 01m 57s  - 99.01 Mi
Swim:    14h 36m 59s  - 40499 Yd

Scott

2012-08-31 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
As a side note, if anyone doesn't have enough IM related stress and various things to read and worry about, feel free to take a break and enjoy my trials and tribulations of attempting my first Ironman at Wisconsin.  I started this blog last year for various personal reasons and would like to share it with my fellow IMWI athletes.  You can check it out HERE
2012-08-31 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4389601

User image

Milwaukee, WI

sbsmann -  I started this blog last year... You can check it out HERE

Thanks for sharing!

A. Don't think I've ever been mentioned in a blog before. I hit the big time! ;-)

B. Like I needed another distraction today.

2012-08-31 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
August's totals:
Bike:41h 59m 38s  - 762.41 Mi
Run:19h 54m 16s  - 145.41 Mi
Swim:6h 46m 17s  - 25565 Yd

Hey!  I wonder what the weather is going to be like.... :D  high of 75?

2012-08-31 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4389820

daviddclough - 2012-08-31 11:17 AM
August's totals:
Bike:41h 59m 38s  - 762.41 Mi
Run:19h 54m 16s  - 145.41 Mi
Swim:6h 46m 17s  - 25565 Yd

Hey!  I wonder what the weather is going to be like.... :D  high of 75?

I'm seeing 78 or 79 as a high from some places, lows in the 50s, but still very nice and no rain.  Can't tell yet if it will be windy or not.

2012-08-31 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4389855

User image

Evanston

I had some big totals this month which was great.  Had 2 back to back 20 hour weeks to finish my prep and now tapering!  So here are my hours.

Swim: 15 hours and 24 minutes for 50520 yards

Bike: 40 hours for 750 miles

Run: 21 hours for 154 miles

2012-08-31 12:26 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Signed up for Bike SAG from 10:30 am - 1:30 pm (so do NOT get equipment failure or injured, dammit! ) with my eldest son, and looking to do a Run Marshal from 4 pm - 8 pm somewhere.

Just a little over 8 days, IronPeeps-to-be!  I'm excited for you.

Let all that hard work you prepared for guide you through to your destiny.

2012-08-31 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4390003

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
1stTimeTri - 2012-08-31 12:26 PM

Signed up for Bike SAG from 10:30 am - 1:30 pm (so do NOT get equipment failure or injured, dammit! ) with my eldest son, and looking to do a Run Marshal from 4 pm - 8 pm somewhere.

I still need to meet the great Irondonkey.  However, I hope that our meeting does NOT occur while you are on SAG!  Hope to see & meet you out there elsewhere!

2012-08-31 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4389731

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
wibadger - 2012-08-31 10:35 AM

sbsmann -  I started this blog last year... You can check it out HERE

Thanks for sharing!

A. Don't think I've ever been mentioned in a blog before. I hit the big time! ;-)

B. Like I needed another distraction today.

Glad I could provide a workday distraction by helping you hit the big time!  And thanks for riding with me this year, it really helped in making some of those tough rides more enjoyable.

2012-08-31 2:50 PM

User image

Oshkosh, WI
Bike:28h 58m  - 463.57 Mi
Run:17h 40m  - 107.29 Mi
Swim:12h 05m  - 31000 Yd
Strength:2h 45m

My Boyfried came up with this for the family's Tshirts. What do you think??

2012-08-31 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4390039

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
sbsmann - 2012-08-31 12:40 PM
1stTimeTri - 2012-08-31 12:26 PM

I still need to meet the great Irondonkey.  However, I hope that our meeting does NOT occur while you are on SAG!  Hope to see & meet you out there elsewhere!

Thanks, and have a GRRRRRREAT race!  I'm checking into being a Run Marshal behind the Kohl Center/SERF area, past the tunnel/on the path somewhere from 4 - 8 pm - still looking into this to see if that is the spot they had listed.  Send me a PM with your bib # and I'll note it.

2012-08-31 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4390342

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
wcocco - 2012-08-31 2:50 PM
Bike:28h 58m  - 463.57 Mi
Run:17h 40m  - 107.29 Mi
Swim:12h 05m  - 31000 Yd
Strength:2h 45m

My Boyfried came up with this for the family's Tshirts. What do you think??

LOVE IT!!!  So creative.

2012-08-31 11:25 PM

User image

Anyone else do the myathlete tracker?
For 40$ I figured it would be a good way for my family that is there an any friends who wish to to keep track of me on race day!
Anyone else used it before?
I downloaded the iPhone app to se what it will look like come race day and it looks really nor if it works as advertised.
2012-09-01 12:49 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
cell phone reception is spotty on the bike course, mostly by timber lane and in cross plains. everywhere else it seems good. a friend of mine lost his my athlete tracker last year...worst 180 bucks he spent he said. just don't lose it!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 45