BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-07-27 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
Congrats to XcaliburGrl for your race!  Yay, we are both triathletes now.

My race report is now up here:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=171881

Thanks to everyone in the group for all the good wishes.  I am now officially hooked and signed up for my next race on Aug 16!  The bike is a little longer, and run is a little shorter, so I'm excited about the race.

Good luck to those still in training!
Mary Sue

2009-07-27 10:52 PM

User image

Illinois

Alicia and Mary Sue,

Thanks for the race reports.  My race is Saturday so it's very inspiring to read these.

Sue

2009-07-29 12:21 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Alicia & Mary Sue - CONGRATS!!  Doesn't it feel great to say..."I'm a triathlete"?!?!

Sue - Where is your tri this weekend?

I'm doing muddy buddy this weekend...should be fun!

2009-07-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2315201

User image

Illinois

My tri is in Champaign, IL which is where I live.  The Park District sponsors it.  I think it will be pretty low key and my training group will be there so I should know some people there.

Sue

2009-07-30 7:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Congrats Alicia and Mary Sue - what a coincidence that you did the same tri.

Sue - Good luck this Saturday

Denise
2009-07-30 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2308999

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
freeflykami - 2009-07-26 7:17 PM I road my tri route today with 2 training buddies, they are tough! I hope that I can keep that pace up for the race, then we ran the course too, me slowly ;0)

Go for it with the bike pace - if you did it in training you can do it in the race - just tell yourself it'll only hurt for awhile.  Good luck

Denise

2009-07-31 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2317539

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
fantom8588 - 2009-07-30 12:19 PM

My tri is in Champaign, IL which is where I live.  The Park District sponsors it.  I think it will be pretty low key and my training group will be there so I should know some people there.

Sue

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND SUE!!! 

I need to check out some of the tri's in that area..that's kind of originally where I'm from - and it's be great to do a tri that wasn't 3K people!!
2009-07-31 11:35 PM

User image

Hi ladies-
I finally uploaded a profile picture from my first tri!  Now you get to see who you've been chatting with!

I've decided to do another race in 2 weeks - it's a slightly shorter swim, longer bike, and much shorter run, so I think it will play to my strengths. One question - the swim is a bay swim in the ocean (so far I've done a relay with a pool swim, and my tri was a freshwater lake).  Is there anything different I should be thinking about in saltwater?  I'm pretty comfortable in the ocean generally, but didn't know if there was specific ocean OWS advice.

Mary Sue
2009-08-01 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Love all the new photos so we can see each other!   I don't have any ows experience so can't help there.

Had a wonderful few days in San Diego this past week.  Fun, fun, fun but far too fast!   It was hard to readjust to home!  For a few days I had beach withdrawl!    I love the ocean and it is just so peaceful to sit out on the deck, watch the sun setting, enjoying a glass of wine with my mom and sis.....ah, yes...it is wonderful.

I haven't had much training time lately.   Ever since my tri, my workouts have been so sporadic.   I can't seem to get consistent again as something always seems to come up that usurps my time.   Then at the beach, I fell on while trying to wake/skim board with the kids.   I ended up with a silver dollar size surface wound and a circular bruise that is about 4" across!   Using my oils I about have it healed up, but it was super painful for about 3 days.  There was no way I could run!  Then on Thurs., I went to lift weights (found a really nice place close by to lift and workout) and pulled a muscle in my lower back.   Tried to get into the chiro yesterday but he is out until Monday, so I have been oiling and stretching that.  

I had been shooting for a tri on Aug. 15th in MT since I planned on visiting our son there, but that trip might fall through.  It looks like the oats will be ready to harvest at that time and I may have to be here to help.  If I can't make that trip, I wanted to do a tri a week from today in a small WY town, but with all the minor injuries I am not sure I will be ready.   My dh just rolls his eyes and thinks I am nuts.   I know that is part of my lack of training.....ever since I completed my first tri, his support has waned.   I think it was a "ok, I'll humor you through this first tri" kind of thing.

Good luck to all racers this weekend! 
Sharie
2009-08-01 7:14 PM

User image

Illinois

I AM a triathlete.  The race today was fun.  My race report is up.  The age range was from about 8 - 87.  I was pleased with my performance.  It was in line with what I felt I could do.  For me this was really about enjoying myself so I didn't push myself too hard. 

I wish I had done more running in preparation.  I didn't have my running buddy with me so I walked a fair amount.

My training group did spend a lot of time together at the race and we are all a go for next year's race.  I've semi-committed to some 5Ks before that.

Gonna veg tomorrow.

Sue

2009-08-02 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
I hear ya on the vegin' I did my second today! It went well dispute the rain, just a little sore in the knee. They haven't posted the times yet so I will get to the race report later. Now I need to deceide if I should do one more....

For the Ocean swim, make sure you are good with breathing on both sides!

and Congrats to our New Triathletes!

2009-08-03 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2322754

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
My race report is up for any one that is interested. I'm trying to deceide on one more tri either the end of sept or beginning of Oct.

One is a longer ocean swim (an advantage for me), Flat bike and run, but requires a hotel stay, and the family won't be there, again :0(

The other is a lake swim with a 2 hour drive, but late enough start that the whole family could come....
2009-08-04 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Congratulations triathlete Sue.
2009-08-04 3:11 PM
in reply to: #2324428

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
freeflykami - 2009-08-03 12:58 PM My race report is up for any one that is interested. I'm trying to deceide on one more tri either the end of sept or beginning of Oct.

One is a longer ocean swim (an advantage for me), Flat bike and run, but requires a hotel stay, and the family won't be there, again :0(

The other is a lake swim with a 2 hour drive, but late enough start that the whole family could come....

Fantastic times Kami!  Work on the run a little more and you'll be in contention for an age group award.

Denise
2009-08-04 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Great race Kami!     Congrats to all new triathletes!   It really is an amazing feeling to know you have achieved this goal...isn't it!?!    I watched the Aflac Irongirl Tri in Atlanta on Sunday (NBC) and had tears in my eyes a few times as they told a few of the different women's stories.   My kids thought I was nuts...but they knew that already.   I didn't tell them that some of the emotion came from the knowing that I now have of crossing that finish line!

I have decided to not do the tri this weekend.   I really have lost some of my conditioning since the tri...I have only gotten to swim twice in a month!!!!!   And...I googled it today and it is a 5 hour drive!  I thought maybe dh and I could go together, but the oats are ready to cu (hay oats) and one alfalfa field is also ready to start 2nd cutting so he can't take the time away.   I may still do the one in MT, but dd wants to get home sooner than Sunday the 16th because she starts 2/day volleyball practice at 6am on Monday.    Also, if I do that one, I have to pack my bike along.    Thinking and praying about it for now.   I looked online today and found 2 races in September in the Denver area.   One would allow me to stay at a friend's place for free. 

Maggie....how are you??   Are you checking in here?  

Chris...how about you?   Have you done a 5K yet or set a Tri goal??

Sharie
2009-08-04 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2327760

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
LadyNorth - 2009-08-04 4:11 PM

Fantastic times Kami!  Work on the run a little more and you'll be in contention for an age group award.

Denise

urgh... I KNOW!!! I have the hardest time getting the runs in! That will have to be a focus for the winter I guess!

Ranchrunner-When I was a kid my dad would get all choked up and sometimes teary when we would watch Rescue 911 and I had anything to do with a kid. we always thought he was crazy and roll our eyes. But now I have kids and am the same way, they will understand soon enough! 

2009-08-06 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
So - it was 45 this am here in north-central Minnesota - and my tri is Sat - and I don't have a wetsuit.  It's supposed to warm up but will still only be in the mid-50s Sat am.  Oh well, one more thing to add to my very long worry list.
Denise
2009-08-06 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2331281

User image

Veteran
Northern VA

You can rent a wet suit if there is a tri store in the area... I rented one for my first OWS but didn't end up using it. Is the tri in a lake? the h2o maybe warmer than you think. Both of my tri's have posted the water temp on their website a couple days before the race.

Geeze! I can't imagine 45 in Aug. it was a steamy 80 here at 9 am!

2009-08-06 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
It was super cold here the other night....35*!   The next day it got up to 100*!   Crazy weather this year.

The race director for my tri emailed the water temp and posted it on the site.  Check that out.   If it is a lake where there are lifeguards, etc. then they might know current temps too.   Hopefully it won't be too cold or maybe you can find a place to rent one like Kami suggested.

In case I don't get online again before Saturday...GOOD LUCK!!!  

Sharie
2009-08-06 6:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Hey guys - everthing's ok - I tried a swim in a lake (not the tri lake, but it's only a 1/2 hr away and the lakes are similar) and the temp was just fine.  You were right Kami - it was warmer than I thought it would be.

Closest tri shop is in Minneapolis - 2 1/2 hrs away

Thanks for the good luck Sharie.

Now all I have to worry about is 1) that I don't drown 2) have a heart attack 3) get a flat tire 4) crash or worse yet cause someone else to crash 5) get kicked in the face or worse yet kick someone else in the face.

I went to a coffee shop in a mid-sized town about a 1/2 hr away to get their home-made incredible truffles.  I hadn't had any for awhile cuz I'm being good but I'm going to celebrate Sat afternoon.  They told me they hadn't had any for a couple of months cuz the lady wasn't making them but she started again and they just got some in today.  That's my good luck sign.

My husband and daughter are on a bonding trip to the East Coast so I won't have anyone to cheer me on - but I'm going early Sat am and see if I can make some friends before the race. 

Denise
2009-08-06 6:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
You are going to do great!   I had forgotten about your post-race gourmet meal!!  Sounds deLISH!

I will be sending out prayers for strength and speed and all kinds of good luck (like no injuries or flats, etc)!!

Here is a link to some photos from our recent trip to San Diego

Edited by ranchrunner 2009-08-06 6:28 PM

2009-08-06 9:00 PM
in reply to: #2333000

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
LadyNorth - 2009-08-06 7:02 PM

I went to a coffee shop in a mid-sized town about a 1/2 hr away to get their home-made incredible truffles.  I hadn't had any for awhile cuz I'm being good but I'm going to celebrate Sat afternoon.  They told me they hadn't had any for a couple of months cuz the lady wasn't making them but she started again and they just got some in today.  That's my good luck sign.

My husband and daughter are on a bonding trip to the East Coast so I won't have anyone to cheer me on - but I'm going early Sat am and see if I can make some friends before the race. 

Denise

Glad that lake was warm enough for you!

My family hasn't been to a tri with me yet, with kiddo's it is always one thing or another. But I will be thinking about you, cheering you on from afar and wishing I could join you in your ohh so yummy celebratory dinner, and TRUFFLES! mmm, mmmm!
2009-08-06 10:50 PM
in reply to: #2333000

User image

Illinois

Denise,

I'll be mentally cheering you on.  And you can bet that some of those cheering are cheering for everyone including you!  Glad to hear the water won't be too cold.  I'd also figured once you got going you wouldn't notice as much anyway.

Have a great race,

Sue

2009-08-08 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2309041

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Mary Sue!  Congratulations on finishing your first tri!!!!!!!!!!!!  I LOVE it!!!!  That's definitely a good sign that you've already registered for another one!  Welcome aboard!!!!  I've never swum in an ocean, but Kami had some really great advice about being sure you can breathe well on both sides.  If the waves are high, you can breathe on the opposite side.  Actually, this is important in lake swims as well.  I find if I bilaterally breathe, I swim more straight!

Congratulations, Alicia!!!  Woo hoo!!!!!!  That's cool about focusing on running for a while.  Many of us do that, just to break it up.  Those run races will feel like a piece of cake after your tri!  Ha ha.

Sharie, glad you had a good time in San Diego, though the injuries are definitely a bummer.  I was e-mailing with Tanya Maslach of GOTRIbal and she said she was going to be seeing you the next day!!  What an unbelievably small world!  Too bad that you won't be able to see your son or do that tri.  I'm absolutely fascinated by your ranch lifestyle, so your reasons for not being able to go is intriguing.  I wish we still had our acreage so I could be growing my own food.  Sigh...  Spousal support is always a hot topic here on BT.  There's even a "You know you're a triathlete when..." joke that if your spouse is supportive, you're not training enough.  Sad, but true.

I came back from my duathlon on Sunday, took a shower, came out and DH said, "Um, I'm DVRing something for you about women and triathlons."  When I went to pull it up it was that Iron girl race.  A friend of mine on here did that race (it was her first last year, so she went back to it this year) and I actually saw her in the beginning at the swim start!!!!  I'm going to rewatch it again this weekend because you're right, Sharie, it is inspiring!

Sue, congratulations triathlete!  I'm just so excited for you!

Kami, I vote for the one where you can bring the kids, especially in your first season.  There'll be plenty of chances to travel and tri solo, but there's something about having your family there when you're starting out that puts more icing on the cake.

Good luck this morning, Denise!  It's time for all that training to mean something.

(Love, love, LOVE the new avatars, by the way.)
2009-08-10 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Race report up - can't figure out how to put the link here - will try for a few minutes then give up.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=174326

Didn't do real great but had a blast and got a 1st place age group plaque (only 2 in my age group)

Denise

Edited by LadyNorth 2009-08-10 4:00 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36