Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-01-30 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3329003

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
kcgolf - 2011-01-29 10:13 PM Hey Team.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Just got home from a long day at the curling rink - my team is getting beat bad - possibly 3 more games tomorrow but the way we are tossing the rocks - it could be an early departure. Overall - so far - a bad two days on the ice - hell I think I would have rather been swimming LOL.

But, tomorrow is a different day and there is still a chance to bring home some hardware.

Have a great night.

KC

good luck today.  you never know.  i sure would not have picked green bay (#6 seed) to be in super bowl- so you never know.

2011-01-30 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Expert
So I am going through the longest string of not working out in 3 years.  It has been a really weird/busy week with a chlorine accident at the pool so it was closed all week, a co-worker /friend passed away last Friday and memorial was yesterday, I had a project that required me to come into work early a few days this week.  I had my first show with this new band and my kids have been extremely "needy" for me this week.  I am the kind of person that gets completely thrown off if my schedule gets interrupted.  I am hoping that is what it was.   Either way I just completely lacked any motivation which is really strange for me.  I am getting ready to head to the gym for an 8 mile run.  Hopefully I will get back in the swing of things.  It has been kinda nice to not really think about triathlon, marathon and working out for the past week.  maybe I just needed a break.  Looks like I have alot of catching up to do and posts to read Laughing
2011-01-30 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I am back after a few days off and feeling so much better.

left for New York friday night, and was delighted to discover they have WAY less snow than us, and plowed roads - imagine that! Forced myself out of bed on Saturday morning and ran 11.25 miles. My longest run EVER! I am still in shock lol. As a reward, I went to Fleet feet and got fitted for a new pair of sneakers. Turned out to be an expensive 11.25 mile run. Wink

My half Marathon is 3 weeks today!

Plans for the month -  my HIM is 20 weeks today, so I am starting the 20 week plan from BT. I prefer to break my goals down weekly instead of monthly. I guess it will be to follow the BT plan and keep an eye on nutrition. It would be great if I could lose a few lbs this month as my workouts increase, though after the pizza and wing fest from this w/e that may be an issue.

This week....... (am/ pm)

Mon:   Run - 40
           Swim -long
Tues:  Bike - coached class

Run - 30 + strength 
Wed: 
Swim - Coached class
           Bike - computrainer
Thurs:
Run - 60
           Strength
Fri:      
Swim 

Bike - 30
Sat:     In theory, this should be off, however since my HM is in 3 weeks it needs to be a 12 mile run.

Sun:   Bike - 90

Ooooohhhh Just a thought.... could I include Thursday mornings 60 minute run into my 'off day' long run? i.e - not do a run Thursday morning, because I am doing the long run on Sat or would that mess things up?
2011-01-30 6:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
15 min WU, 2:45 on IM Moo at 75%.  Then an hour in the pool continuous, 2600 yards.  Good day. 

2011-01-30 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Court, I use a garmin & a timex to do all runs. Their are some free ways to get mileage 1: drive the route in a car or go on www.mapmyrun.com and see if their are any in your area.  Are their any running clubs, they usually have routes that are marked pretty good.

Tim, hang in there hopefully things will get back into rhythm for you. Sorry to hear about your friend.  How did your band do this weekend?  Don't worry about catching up in the forums, were here for support so just try to keep your workouts going how ever you can fit them in.

Deb, great that your feeling better and way to go on the run.... :-)

Scott how do you like the course so far?  I have got about 40 miles into it and seems to be a fairly challenging course.  Some decent climbs my concern is from what I hear you get ripped off on the downhills with tight turns near the bottom so you cannot carry all the speed.  Tough to take a 90deg corner at 40mph..

I had a great weekend as far as working out but terrible calories.  Did my 1st brick of the year Sat and did a nice 2hr bike Sunday feeling very rough.  I keep forgetting I'm 36 and cannot stay out all night and enjoy too many adult beverages.  Oh well hopefully our office had a great time. 

Rob thats great news!!!

Edited by razorxp 2011-01-30 8:52 PM
2011-01-30 9:02 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Well - weekend summary.

Curling - fun but not so good on the winning side - lost every game Frown - oh well.

However, the bright side - today I got up and had a bike then came home tonight and had a swim - not great distances but got some time in which was great.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Back with the swim coach tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great week.

KC

2011-01-31 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3329934

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
razorxp - 2011-01-30 8:51 PM Court, I use a garmin & a timex to do all runs. Their are some free ways to get mileage 1: drive the route in a car or go on www.mapmyrun.com and see if their are any in your area.  Are their any running clubs, they usually have routes that are marked pretty good.

Tim, hang in there hopefully things will get back into rhythm for you. Sorry to hear about your friend.  How did your band do this weekend?  Don't worry about catching up in the forums, were here for support so just try to keep your workouts going how ever you can fit them in.

Deb, great that your feeling better and way to go on the run.... :-)

Scott how do you like the course so far?  I have got about 40 miles into it and seems to be a fairly challenging course.  Some decent climbs my concern is from what I hear you get ripped off on the downhills with tight turns near the bottom so you cannot carry all the speed.  Tough to take a 90deg corner at 40mph..

I had a great weekend as far as working out but terrible calories.  Did my 1st brick of the year Sat and did a nice 2hr bike Sunday feeling very rough.  I keep forgetting I'm 36 and cannot stay out all night and enjoy too many adult beverages.  Oh well hopefully our office had a great time. 

Rob thats great news!!!

Wait until you get to the last hill.  It is quite the challenge.  I forget it's name but there are people all along it just like the Tour De France so you know it has a reputation.  And we get to do it twice!  Yes, I will be practicing downhills before the race.  One thing I noted was many times you go downhill and immediately make a turn and go up.  Surprise!    I'll wait and see what I can do when I get to live ride it.  But there are a lot of bikes on that course.  Turns are dangerous and so are the fueling stations.

2011-01-31 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
i finally rode outside this weekend (only 4 miles) and a tri bike is going to take a little getting used to.  no way would i feel comfortable going out on a street with many cars but hopefully i will.

i also watched numerous TI videos on youtube.  i tried this morning to use what i had learned and i felt like i was starting all over.  at the end i started to feel a little more comfortable.   the guy on the videos makes it sound so easy...
2011-01-31 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3330376

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
gabrelsj - 2011-01-31 8:22 AM i finally rode outside this weekend (only 4 miles) and a tri bike is going to take a little getting used to.  no way would i feel comfortable going out on a street with many cars but hopefully i will.

i also watched numerous TI videos on youtube.  i tried this morning to use what i had learned and i felt like i was starting all over.  at the end i started to feel a little more comfortable.   the guy on the videos makes it sound so easy...

Good for you on the outdoor ride!  The tri biikes take some getting used to.  I also hounded by LBS until I got a good fit.  Now it is natural.  Most comfortable bike I have really. 

Swimming is muscle memory.  We practice, fine tune, learn more, unlearn stuff, then practice, etc.  At least that's how it is for me. 
2011-01-31 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3330376

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
gabrelsj - 2011-01-31 9:22 AM i finally rode outside this weekend (only 4 miles) and a tri bike is going to take a little getting used to.  no way would i feel comfortable going out on a street with many cars but hopefully i will.

Good Morning Jason.

It must be nice to get outside for a ride - I can't wait!. I just started riding with aero bars and on a converted road bike late last fall - I know what you are talking about. The pedals are the toughest thing to get the hang of. You forget you are locked and while I am did not have any minor incidents this past fall I am sure there will be some sooner or later.

I also watch all the TI vids on line and everything else I can find. Some of it helps me and some of it confuses me as well. You are right as well, watching those guys on the vids is amazing - looks so easy it is crazy. However, everytime I watch them I just tell myself that they have been swimming for years and years and I just started so I can't feel to bad about my form. I just try to put the images in my head and feel them when I am in the pool.

Keep up the good work.

KC
2011-01-31 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3329606

User image

Veteran
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-30 3:45 PM I am back after a few days off and feeling so much better.

left for New York friday night, and was delighted to discover they have WAY less snow than us, and plowed roads - imagine that! Forced myself out of bed on Saturday morning and ran 11.25 miles. My longest run EVER! I am still in shock lol. As a reward, I went to Fleet feet and got fitted for a new pair of sneakers. Turned out to be an expensive 11.25 mile run. Wink

My half Marathon is 3 weeks today!

Plans for the month -  my HIM is 20 weeks today, so I am starting the 20 week plan from BT. I prefer to break my goals down weekly instead of monthly. I guess it will be to follow the BT plan and keep an eye on nutrition. It would be great if I could lose a few lbs this month as my workouts increase, though after the pizza and wing fest from this w/e that may be an issue.

This week....... (am/ pm)

Mon:   Run - 40
           Swim -long
Tues:  Bike - coached class

Run - 30 + strength 
Wed: 
Swim - Coached class
           Bike - computrainer
Thurs:
Run - 60
           Strength
Fri:      
Swim 

Bike - 30
Sat:     In theory, this should be off, however since my HM is in 3 weeks it needs to be a 12 mile run.

Sun:   Bike - 90

Ooooohhhh Just a thought.... could I include Thursday mornings 60 minute run into my 'off day' long run? i.e - not do a run Thursday morning, because I am doing the long run on Sat or would that mess things up?

great run 11.25!!! 

2011-01-31 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3328379

User image

Expert
Like most people have said your best bet is GPS watch.  GArmin is the most popular and Timex has an Ironmna version.  I have talked with a bunch of people at expos and sports stores and have heard the Timex is not as accurate as the Garmin.

The other way I used to do it before I got my Garmin 405 was to either go out in my car or my bike and memorize landmarks for my mile marks.  I was pretty good at it and actually was a source or the "milage guru" of my neighborhood and could tell people exactly where the mile markers were from my driveway up to 12 miles away.  The only problem with that process is that you are stuck doing that route.  The greatest thing about he GPS is that I have been able to find some great routes by deviating from my normal routes and not having to worry about pre-marking my miles.  The GPS watch is worthwile investment if you are going to continue running and increasing your mileage.

ltcsh1 - 2011-01-29 10:53 AM Need Your input..... As I have said before, I use a pedometor because I am horrible at rembering exactly where I have been when I get home.  Well today I looked at my run from yesterday on line and found that I was off about .4 mile!  So, how do you all mark your distances?  This is getting more important since I am running my 1st 5k in march.  Thanks for the help.

My goals for Feb. is to add my swim training and really buckle downon everything.  I have no expectations on distances yet until I get into this program.  I'll keep you all updated.   
2011-01-31 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
It felt great to get out running again yesterday.  I did 8 miles, 4 on the treadmill and 4 on the indoor track.  I let it rip on the last 1/2 mile and did 7:25/mile chasing after (and passing) a bunch of ROTC guys doing 2 mile finess testing.  I must have been doing a 6:00 pace.  I am trying to do some faster miles toward the end of runs to get used to pushing my tired legs. They came flying past me when they started on my mile 6 and I caught them at the end -haha  I knew they wouldn't be able to keep up that pace so I made it a mini-race in my head.  I think I have issues since I racing people on the track and my competative side comes out - hahaWink.   

Went to the doc on Friday and was pretty much a waste of time.  I go to a Rush "teaching hospital" so I usually get residents who don't have the most experience.  Basically he told me I have done all the testing that can be done from the cardiologist so no refferal.  He then pulled out a calculator and figured my max heart rate and told me not to exceed 140.  I laughed and told him I am probably not like most of the patients he sees and have a very good idea of what my max HR should be.  The cardiologist last year told me I could continue my training without any issues.  I know its not the heart rate because when I bike and swim I easily exceed 140.  I did do some blood work to check my thyroid and cholesterol levels so we will see what happens.  In the past once I get up into 30 miles a week they subside so I will see what happens.

My drummers Dad is also a Cardiologist and I talked with him last week and he also told me that I will never really get an answer why the palpatations start at a certain mileage.  As long as I have done all the testing he also said it is just a matter of how much they bother me.  He said there are some beta blockers I could take but it will interfer with my HR and training.  Not really interested in that.

2011-01-31 3:01 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good afternoon team.
I hope you are all having a great day.

I had a swim lesson with my swim coach again today. I did not feel my best in the water today to be honest. I struggled early but seemed to gain some momentum later in the work out. I think I was just tired from all the curling this weekend. Shoulder and neck were very tight and I am sure that is directly a result of the sweeping motion. I probably should not have gone to the pool last night; I think it sapped me of my swim energy today.

I came home after the swim and decided to run. I think I was a bit disappointed with my efforts in the pool today so I decided to see what I could do on the tread mill - and I enjoyed it! 41 minutes watching the golf channel at 3 degrees incline at 6 mph. That is a bit longer than normal for me. I did a good stretch and some crunches as well. Now it is off to curling again tonight.

I hope everyone has a great week.

KC

2011-01-31 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Mass.
I just want to vent.

They are calling for 20 more inches of snow by Thursday morning!  We're already around 77 inches for this winter.  Where the heck am I going to put it all!  The banks along the driveway are already almost as tall as I am!  Can't wait for spring!
2011-01-31 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3331627

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
kdevarenne - 2011-01-31 5:10 PM I just want to vent.

They are calling for 20 more inches of snow by Thursday morning!  We're already around 77 inches for this winter.  Where the heck am I going to put it all!  The banks along the driveway are already almost as tall as I am!  Can't wait for spring!

They are calling for 15 inches here in southwestern ontario. So far this winter we have not been hit to hard but it looks like we are going to see what you have been putting up with so far this winter.

KC

2011-01-31 7:00 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Caleb, Dave and Tim....Thanks for the advice.  I will be mapping out a few routes for awhile to see if I can get this ironed out. 

Great workout today.  Did 3 bike, 1.8 run and 350 yard swim.  The pool was brutal (it has been a long while)  Tomorrow is a rest day and then onto a longer bike ride on Wednesday.  It is wrong to be looking forward to this self planned torture? Laughing
2011-01-31 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3325938

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
gabrelsj - 2011-01-27 9:47 PM i did a swim, 10x100, that was at a faster pace than usual.  then ran 8 miles.  i felt good on the run but i brought along two gels i had not tried before.  i was getting confident my stomach was "maturing".  i also had a nuuns in my water bottle.  i ate a gel and washed it down around 20 min in.  i ate the other about an hour into the run.  i felt a little acidy and my buddy gave me a tums.  it worked great. 

when i got home...oh boy.  my stomach hurt so bad for about 2 hours.  i was in the bathroom 5 or 6 times.   

i am so frustrated!  i need to figure this out. 

back to the drawing board.

I spoke to my BIL over the weekend. He was running a LOT for a while and completed numerous marathons and a 50 miler in MD.  He said he had issues with Gu's and shot bloks etc so just used 'real food' = banana's, granola, gummy bears out of a bum bag / fuel belt.  Might be worth trying instead of the 'fake' stuff?
2011-01-31 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3331913

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
ltcsh1 - 2011-01-31 8:00 PM Caleb, Dave and Tim....Thanks for the advice.  I will be mapping out a few routes for awhile to see if I can get this ironed out. 

Great workout today.  Did 3 bike, 1.8 run and 350 yard swim.  The pool was brutal (it has been a long while)  Tomorrow is a rest day and then onto a longer bike ride on Wednesday.  It is wrong to be looking forward to this self planned torture? Laughing

Completely agree on both the Nike + system - was using for over a year, and the GPS watch. I had to be my own Santa again this year, and Santa left me a Garmin 305 with HRM. OMG I LOVE it. I ran on Saturday in a different area, and instead of wondering how far I was running and getting all OCD about counting etc, I just ran. It was one of the best things I, oops 'Santa' could possibly have bought. Got it from Amazon $128. Worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296528266&sr=8-1

2011-01-31 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3332106

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-31 9:35 PM
gabrelsj - 2011-01-27 9:47 PM i did a swim, 10x100, that was at a faster pace than usual.  then ran 8 miles.  i felt good on the run but i brought along two gels i had not tried before.  i was getting confident my stomach was "maturing".  i also had a nuuns in my water bottle.  i ate a gel and washed it down around 20 min in.  i ate the other about an hour into the run.  i felt a little acidy and my buddy gave me a tums.  it worked great. 

when i got home...oh boy.  my stomach hurt so bad for about 2 hours.  i was in the bathroom 5 or 6 times.   

i am so frustrated!  i need to figure this out. 

back to the drawing board.

I spoke to my BIL over the weekend. He was running a LOT for a while and completed numerous marathons and a 50 miler in MD.  He said he had issues with Gu's and shot bloks etc so just used 'real food' = banana's, granola, gummy bears out of a bum bag / fuel belt.  Might be worth trying instead of the 'fake' stuff?

I agree, the problem is its tough to run with more than 1 banana.  I have done granola bars and my only complaint is they get dry as heck in your mouth.  So as with everything just try everything.
2011-01-31 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3331627

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
kdevarenne - 2011-01-31 5:10 PM I just want to vent.

They are calling for 20 26 more inches of snow by Thursday morning!  We're already around 77 inches for this winter.  Where the heck am I going to put it all!  The banks along the driveway are already almost as tall as I am!  Can't wait for spring!

I hear ya! OMG this is getting ridiculous. Seriously. Then another one on the weekend. What the Fudge??! Nobody warned me when I moved to the USA that I would turn into a 'popsicle'. Yell

2011-01-31 9:01 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

This winter has been like they were when I was a kid, snow all the time and cold as heck.  Were supposed to get some snow 8" or so but the problem is the 1" of ice.. Going to kill all the power lines if it does come that way.  How in the heck can it be ice at 10deg?  I screwed my workout up tonight and missed the pool hours by getting out of work late and getting my plow ready.  Oh well did 1hr P90x kempo for fun.

Does everyone else have the same issue I have when it snows and its a level 1 or worse emergency they close our pool, so if the weatherman is correct (very rarely) everything will be shut down for a few days.

How are we feeling? sick people feeling better yet? How are you bodies holding up?

2011-01-31 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3332151

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
razorxp - 2011-01-31 10:01 PM

This winter has been like they were when I was a kid, snow all the time and cold as heck.  Were supposed to get some snow 8" or so but the problem is the 1" of ice.. Going to kill all the power lines if it does come that way.  How in the heck can it be ice at 10deg?  I screwed my workout up tonight and missed the pool hours by getting out of work late and getting my plow ready.  Oh well did 1hr P90x kempo for fun.

Does everyone else have the same issue I have when it snows and its a level 1 or worse emergency they close our pool, so if the weatherman is correct (very rarely) everything will be shut down for a few days.

How are we feeling? sick people feeling better yet? How are you bodies holding up?

I have been really lucky, so far, in 2.5 years they have closed our Y maybe twice? They may close early or open late if the weather is bad, but for the most part they are always open.

I had an incredibly painful knee after my long run on Saturday. I tried running in my new sneakers tonight. I think it may have done the trick. I went super slow, it only niggled slightly so I walk/ jogged the rest of my plan minutes. (40)
2011-01-31 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3332151

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
razorxp - 2011-01-31 9:01 PM

Yeah the same thing happens here.  If there is a thunderstorm 30 miles away but you can barely see lightening on the horizon, they close the pool. 

Got a swim in today before the big snow hits.  We're supposed to get about an inch of ice then around a foot of snow.  Before all you northerners tell me that's not much, you have to remember we hardly ever get a foot of snow over an entire winter so when it all comes in one day it shuts us down.  The DOT doesn't spend a lot of money on snow plows and sand so it takes awhile to get things clear.  So it looks like only the bike trainer for me for most of the week because we're not going anywhere for a few days.
2011-02-01 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3332122

User image

Veteran
Mass.
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-31 9:45 PM
ltcsh1 - 2011-01-31 8:00 PM Caleb, Dave and Tim....Thanks for the advice.  I will be mapping out a few routes for awhile to see if I can get this ironed out. 

Completely agree on both the Nike + system - was using for over a year, and the GPS watch. I had to be my own Santa again this year, and Santa left me a Garmin 305 with HRM. OMG I LOVE it. I ran on Saturday in a different area, and instead of wondering how far I was running and getting all OCD about counting etc, I just ran. It was one of the best things I, oops 'Santa' could possibly have bought. Got it from Amazon $128. Worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Heart-Monitor/dp/B000CSWCQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296528266&sr=8-1

That's cheap!!  That's about what I paid for my 301 a few years ago!  I love my 301, it's a bit bulky, but couldn't beat the price at the time.

We got downgraded to 15 inches over the next two days.  No school today and probably none tomorow.  I hope they go THursday so I can go swim.  Couldn't swim last week because of school cancelations. 

So far no more than aq runny nose this winter! (knock on wood)  I think alot of it has to do with my improved diet.  I eat salad for lunch or dinner, so I get all my vitamins.  Winter blues haven't hit yet either.

Cheeky-You going to the Multisports Expo in March?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76