2011-07-19 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3603834

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED
jgerbodegrant - 2011-07-19 10:47 AM
DirkP - 2011-07-18 8:55 PM

On another note: I ran in temperatures tonight that had the heat index at 101 when I got home.  I was pretty gross when i got to the house.  Sweat was absolutely POURING from me!!  I have a 12 mile run scheduled for Wednesday and the air temp is supposed to be 96-98.  I am not sure what I am going to do for that run?  Shorten it and lengthen my long run a couple of miles on Friday?  I guess I'll see what the day brings??

You have my sympathies.  The heat index here has been over 105 here for pretty much every day since the middle of June.  I haven't been able to get in a long run since.  Even in the mornings before it get's horribly oppressive, the best I've been able to do is to get in a six mile run.  85 degrees before the sun comes up just sucks anyway you try to spin it.  When I have been running, I've been pretty much using up an entire 24oz of water inside of 45 mins.  Needless to say my running mileage has seriously dropped off this summer.

Bryan

2011-07-19 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3604317

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

The heat has been pretty bad all the way around this year.  I am hoping it will get better but I don't have any short term expectations.  My ride today was very similar to last night's run but obviously it wasn't as hard becasue I always had air moving around me.

I still haven't decided what I am going to do about tomorrows 12 mile run.  It will probably be a last second decision and one that will be made later in the day, toward the evening.

2011-07-20 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3604978

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
DirkP - 2011-07-19 8:02 PM

The heat has been pretty bad all the way around this year.  I am hoping it will get better but I don't have any short term expectations.  My ride today was very similar to last night's run but obviously it wasn't as hard becasue I always had air moving around me.

I still haven't decided what I am going to do about tomorrows 12 mile run.  It will probably be a last second decision and one that will be made later in the day, toward the evening.

Sorry, this suggestion is coming too late to be of help to you, but I was going to suggest about 7 miles before 6:30am and then only 5 miles left in the evening heat.  But if you can tough out 12 in the heat then more power to ya. 

I am hoping to get in a second run this evening in similar temps.  Supposed to feel like 105.  Good heat acclimation.

2011-07-20 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3325249

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Speaking of heat, I did my first speedwork EVER at the track with a friend yesterday.  Temp was right around 90, with the sun beating down.  It may have been the hottest I have ever been in my life at the end.  I felt like absolutely crap.  My head felt like it was going to explode, my stomach was upset and my legs were burning.  The run a ton of easy miles thing is looking better and better every day.  I honestly love a hard workout where you feel spent at the end like you gave it your all, but I don't like feeling like my body just hates me.  I couldn't eat dinner last night or anything.  Either I need to HTFU or evaluate running in the heat at all.  I'm not sure I can avoid it this year though.  I can't see myself getting up at 4 to do speedwork before work.
2011-07-20 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3605995

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

No kidding.  But HTFU is about being mentally tough.  It doesn't matter how mentally tough you are, the heat will hurt you. 

If your goal is heat acclimation, then train in the heat but easy workouts get you the benefit.  So doing intense workouts in the heat is a waste.  Because the heat downgrades your performance quite a bit, it's possible that you don't get as good a training load as a result, so less adaptive response.

Save the key hard workouts for cooler weather to get more out of them.  Scheduling???  Well, I wouldn't want to do speed at 5am either.  How about sunset?  Or 7am on Saturdays?

2011-07-20 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3606126

User image

Veteran
JeffY - 2011-07-20 11:27 AM

No kidding.  But HTFU is about being mentally tough.  It doesn't matter how mentally tough you are, the heat will hurt you. 

If your goal is heat acclimation, then train in the heat but easy workouts get you the benefit.  So doing intense workouts in the heat is a waste.  Because the heat downgrades your performance quite a bit, it's possible that you don't get as good a training load as a result, so less adaptive response.

Save the key hard workouts for cooler weather to get more out of them.  Scheduling???  Well, I wouldn't want to do speed at 5am either.  How about sunset?  Or 7am on Saturdays?

I'ts been 100+ here for the last 23 days in a row, I am getting very familiar with the indoor track at the local gym. Were only at 93 right now and it feels like a cool front has rolled in. I did 2 river swims this week and it was like being in a warm bath tub. "Only" going to be 101 on race day so I expect a few DNFs and the med tent to be busy.

Stay safe in this heat everyone. live to train another day!

2011-07-20 1:50 PM

User image

NH

I feel like a wimp for canceling a long ride I was planning Friday after work since it's "only" going to be 95.  My wife's family has a reunion of sorts this weekend and we're staying at a place about 55-60 miles from my work, so I figured I'd ride up and meet them Friday evening.  But 95 and high humidity has me wanting to drive up and I'll do my long ride Sat early instead.

2011-07-20 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3606518

User image

Veteran
wbayek - 2011-07-20 1:50 PM

I feel like a wimp for canceling a long ride I was planning Friday after work since it's "only" going to be 95.  My wife's family has a reunion of sorts this weekend and we're staying at a place about 55-60 miles from my work, so I figured I'd ride up and meet them Friday evening.  But 95 and high humidity has me wanting to drive up and I'll do my long ride Sat early instead.

I don't think your a wimp, heck I pull out my jacket when it drops below 70. anything below 60 and I am wearing mittens and lighting the furnace.

The heat can kill you especially if your not used to it and even if you are. I went on a 16 mile ride in 105 degrees about 2 weeks ago and I lost 2.5 pounds from sweat, drank 2 full water bottles and still lost that amount of weight.

I won't do that again for a while, felt like total crap for 3 days after. So I'm in the gym on the stationary bike in the evenings and save to road ride for early Saturday morning until the weather changes around October-ish.

2011-07-20 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3606571

User image

NH
perdiem - 2011-07-20 3:11 PM

I don't think your a wimp, heck I pull out my jacket when it drops below 70. anything below 60 and I am wearing mittens and lighting the furnace.

The heat can kill you especially if your not used to it and even if you are. I went on a 16 mile ride in 105 degrees about 2 weeks ago and I lost 2.5 pounds from sweat, drank 2 full water bottles and still lost that amount of weight.

I won't do that again for a while, felt like total crap for 3 days after. So I'm in the gym on the stationary bike in the evenings and save to road ride for early Saturday morning until the weather changes around October-ish.

Luckily for us up in the hinterlands, this will last about a week or less and we'll be back in parkas.  For reference, I rode with arm warmers last week to start my morning ride.

2011-07-20 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3605704

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2011-07-20 10:10 AM
DirkP - 2011-07-19 8:02 PM

Sorry, this suggestion is coming too late to be of help to you, but I was going to suggest about 7 miles before 6:30am and then only 5 miles left in the evening heat.  But if you can tough out 12 in the heat then more power to ya. 

I am hoping to get in a second run this evening in similar temps.  Supposed to feel like 105.  Good heat acclimation.

I actually thought about getting up early but I didn't want to get up at 4AM to get the run in.  My work day starts at 6AM and ends 4:30-ish so I am pretty much at the afternoon suns mercy for a mid-range run.

I finished a modified run nonetheless.  I planned 8 miles with a possible 9th if I had anything left at 7 miles.  The first 5 miles were pretty tough because of the heat but after that I think it started to cool down a bit, to a chilly 88 with a heat index of 99.  I had plenty left to finish the 9th mile.

I plan to run 3 tomorrow after a swim to complete my 40mpw.  And then next week I will have to modify my schedule a little again to try to get another 38-40 in before a race on Sunday.  (The race is the same one Matt is doing so it should be cool to meet another BT'er.)

2011-07-21 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3606707

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
wbayek - 2011-07-20 2:56 PM
perdiem - 2011-07-20 3:11 PM

Luckily for us up in the hinterlands, this will last about a week or less and we'll be back in parkas.  For reference, I rode with arm warmers last week to start my morning ride.

I'm trying really hard not to hate you right now.  Wink

2011-07-21 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3606126

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
JeffY - 2011-07-20 12:27 PM

This is definitely some good info.  My legs are still sore from Tuesday.  My quads never get sore either.  I did my "long" run for the week this morning at 5.  It was already 75 degrees out, so I had to make sure to do it.  I still ran shirtless.  It took about 30 minutes for my legs to loosen up so I could get my stride going.  Inflamation central over here.

Warren...was that last Saturday?  I also rode with arm warmers for the first hour of our ride. :-)  Most beaufitul day for a ride yet this year.

2011-07-22 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3608129

User image

NH
jgerbodegrant - 2011-07-21 11:27 AM
JeffY - 2011-07-20 12:27 PM

This is definitely some good info.  My legs are still sore from Tuesday.  My quads never get sore either.  I did my "long" run for the week this morning at 5.  It was already 75 degrees out, so I had to make sure to do it.  I still ran shirtless.  It took about 30 minutes for my legs to loosen up so I could get my stride going.  Inflamation central over here.

Warren...was that last Saturday?  I also rode with arm warmers for the first hour of our ride. :-)  Most beaufitul day for a ride yet this year.

Yeah, Saturday's ride was quite chilly for me.  Not so much today, we're looking at 100!

I've definitely been using the early morning to avoid real heat - we're lucky in that it's not too bad around here until the day gets going.  Stay safe everyone.

2011-07-22 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Here is a short, clear post describing how to properly wear your wetsuit.

http://www.feelforthewater.com/2011/07/are-you-sure-youre-putting-on-your.html

I remember a discussion about how difficult it is to zip up your own wetsuit.  This is addressed by their "human shoehorn" technique.

2011-07-22 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3609726

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I had heard of the plastic bag trick before but forgot about it and never tried it.......................I just got done putting bags in the sleeves of my suit just in the VERY VERY unlikely chance I could use it at next weekends race.

2011-07-22 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3609845

User image

Veteran

stress stress stress!

I go pick up my race packet this afternoon, tomorrow most of the day will be spent hosting an event up at the lodge for about 200 participants from all over the country, Sunday is my race and Monday I leave for Orlando to work a convention. Just found out that the week after I return I go to San Antonio to spend a week training a group of customers I don't want to train. To top it all off the A-hole that tried to kill my wife 12 years ago got out of jail yesterday. Been a heck of a month!

I just want to ride my bike...The good thing is I'm not stressing on the race because I have everything else piled on...

Sorry for the rant and hijack. Needed to vent a bit.

Woosa...Serenity Now...Woosa...

2011-07-22 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Sorry...this wasn't the place to dump that. Please disregard.
2011-07-23 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3610419

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

perdiem - 2011-07-22 3:04 PM Sorry...this wasn't the place to dump that. Please disregard.

Oh contrare.  I think it is and should be a place to dump some of this stuff.  As a mentor group we shouldn't just make ourselves available to support each other for training alone, we should provide support to everyone for all their needs and encouragement.  I have dumped on groups in the past and have received very beneficial advice and encouragement as well.  So I am not just paying lip service.

This goes for everyone in the group by the way.  Of course it is always up to each individual to decide if they would like to vent any personal problems or stress going on in their respective lives. 

2011-07-23 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3611073

User image

NH
DirkP - 2011-07-23 7:19 AM

perdiem - 2011-07-22 3:04 PM Sorry...this wasn't the place to dump that. Please disregard.

Oh contrare.  I think it is and should be a place to dump some of this stuff.  As a mentor group we shouldn't just make ourselves available to support each other for training alone, we should provide support to everyone for all their needs and encouragement.  I have dumped on groups in the past and have received very beneficial advice and encouragement as well.  So I am not just paying lip service.

This goes for everyone in the group by the way.  Of course it is always up to each individual to decide if they would like to vent any personal problems or stress going on in their respective lives. 

Well stated Dirk.  This is the one place we can go where we all "get it".  Let's face it, we're are a bunch of odd ducks really, and this addiction is kind of unique.  Though our family and others close to us may appreciate the fitness and lifestyle benefits of this tri thing, only others in the soup can really understand.

That sounds like a pretty nasty set of circumstances hammering you all at once.  Sort of a perfect storm of crap.  Hang onto the railings and it will pass, and hopefully you'll come out the other end without too many scars.  Let us know.

2011-07-23 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  I have had a nagging pain around my left hip for the last several weeks.  It is not in the hip joint itself but more in the muscle.  When I run I REALLY feel it the next couple days, biking and swimming not so much.  I have laid off running the last few weeks and it does seem to subside without running but hasn't completely disappeared and when I put in a long swim or bike I can feel it.  I am thinking it is inflamed so I have just started taking ibuprofen on a regular basis throughout the day the last couple days.  It is starting to get very irritating! 
2011-07-23 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3611188

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Greg, it sounds like an IT band issue from the little description you are giving.  I have never experienced this myself but I understand it can be pretty painful if not dealt with appropriately.  Try these stretches to help loosen things up a little bit and take it easy on the runs for a little while.

2011-07-23 9:07 PM

User image

NH

Not sure what that could be Greg.  I have some recurring pain in my hip flexor, but there's a bone shape reason and it's just something I have to deal with so no real help there.  Another good site for self massaging and such is here.

I had a 30 miler planned today and a 60 for tomorrow.  After about 13 miles, I got a flat and pulled a piece of glass out of the tube.  About 3 miles later, I get another flat and and pull a small spring out of the tire.  I carry two tubes and three CO2 tubes, so I'm ok.  Then 6 miles more I get a third flat, this time a tack or small nail is in the tire!  Now I'm outta luck and have to call for a ride.  Jeez, two flats my whole life and then three on one ride.  Anyone ever have anything like this happen?

I actually have a question about my tire now (the first was the front and the last two were the back).  The tack and the spring really shredded the tire - there are two tears all the way through.  Is the tire junk and I need to get a new one?

2011-07-24 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I got my Sunday run in this morning and added a mile to it.  I usually do 7 miles but I am trying to knock a few miles out earlier in the week so I can keep my 40 mpw and still have something in the legs come Sunday morning.  My plan is to run no more than 13-14 miles Friday for my long run and then take an easier, possibly shorter ride on Saturday.

The weather for this morning's run was very humid as it had rained in the early morning.  But the temp was low enough that I wasn't gasping to get air for 8 miles.  It was 74 degrees and 95% humidity while I was out but I will take that over the 90+ and 100+ heat indexes we have had recently.  It was almost refreshing to run this morning.

the heat this week is going to stay  pretty hot but slightly cooler than last week.  I am ready for it to end.  I guess it makes for some good mental toughness as I look toward a couple of races in the next couple of weeks.

2011-07-25 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran

Did my sprint yesterday. came in at 1:46:47 - that was 1:47 over my goal time but for my first real Tri I think that was some good estimating.

11:41 on the swim

T1 4:17!

47:42 on the bike

T2 2:40

40:25 on the run

I didn't die or DFL so feel pretty good about that. I have another one in September so really need to step up my game. Transitions killed me, I was 4:20 in T1 but that was with a 1/4 mile run from the water up a nice windy ramp.

that and my run sucked out loud. More of a death march then a run. But I made it, done, finished, calling it good. Can only improve from here.

I haven't written my race report yet. on my way out of town this morning, going to Disney World of all places. Here are the results in all their Gory Glory. Try not to laugh to hard:

Class
Position
Gun
Time
Chip
Time
Overall
Place
Country
Gen
Place
Tot
Div
Tot
Gend
Tot
AG
400m
Swim
Rank
400m
Swim
400m
Swim
Pace
T1
Bike
Rank
Bike
Bike
Pace
T2
3.4M
Run
Rank
3.4M
Run
3.4M
Run
Pace
1143 Tim McMahon Waco, TX
01:46:47
01:46:47
USA
11:41
2:55/M
04:17
47:42
15.7mph
02:40
40:25
11:53/M

2011-07-25 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3611839

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
wbayek - 2011-07-23 9:07 PM

Not sure what that could be Greg.  I have some recurring pain in my hip flexor, but there's a bone shape reason and it's just something I have to deal with so no real help there.  Another good site for self massaging and such is here.

I had a 30 miler planned today and a 60 for tomorrow.  After about 13 miles, I got a flat and pulled a piece of glass out of the tube.  About 3 miles later, I get another flat and and pull a small spring out of the tire.  I carry two tubes and three CO2 tubes, so I'm ok.  Then 6 miles more I get a third flat, this time a tack or small nail is in the tire!  Now I'm outta luck and have to call for a ride.  Jeez, two flats my whole life and then three on one ride.  Anyone ever have anything like this happen?

I actually have a question about my tire now (the first was the front and the last two were the back).  The tack and the spring really shredded the tire - there are two tears all the way through.  Is the tire junk and I need to get a new one?

Sounds like your tire is toast.  When you say "all the way through" it sounds like you also mean the tire casing.  When the casing is damaged the structural integrity is compromised.  A roadside repair can often get you home, but the tire needs to be retired.  I once blew out my sidewall on a pot hole.  Big rip all the way through the tire. 

I found a piece of paper and after folding it in half about 5 times I placed it inside the tire over the hole and carefully inflated my spare tube to about 50psi and rode it home.

But I had to retire a tire this spring because a small sliver of glass had gone through and cut one thread in the tire casing.  I put electrical tape over that on the inside and put it back in to use, but after the electrical tape came out, the next time I inflated it, the tube was bulged through that tiny hole in the casing and popped.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64