BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-07-29 1:00 PM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
Great job Corbet! The lame duck tri isn't far from me but as soon as I read "hardest" I was out. I'm a wimp Glad to have you back Isaac and good job to everyone. I've loved reading your race reports! Sorry I don't have anything exciting to report. I really miss tri-ing and hopefully will get to do one at the end of August. It's been tough to get the swimming and biking in lately so with my marathon coming up I've just been running. I did an impromptu trail run but I've mostly been on the roads since that's what the race will be. I did my "long" run (8 miles) on Saturday and met my sister 2 miles away to run to a little 4 mile race downtown, ran the race then ran the 2 miles back. We totally looked like "those crazy people" we used to talk about when we first started racing. I maintained my Galloway run/walk intervals throughout and kept above a 12 minute mile average pretty much consistently. I'm hoping to hold around 10:30-11:00 for the race so I think I'm on my way and really feeling pretty good overall aside from a little hip pain but nothing too serious. Keep up the good work everyone!

2013-07-29 1:46 PM
in reply to: Rnay225

User image

Veteran
Hey everyone I'm sorry I've been out of the loop I've taken this past weekend off. On Friday my son had an appointment and we got the wonderful news that he's recovering as he needs to be and he will likely not suffer any permanent brain damage. That just made my day!!! Saturday was my kids birthday party with Sunday being my normal rest day.

Congrats on the newly minted athletes!!!! It's a wonderful feeling crossing the finish line. So sorry to hear about the gentleman who lost his life in the swim.

For my training I had planned on doing 5 miles but I felt so good I just kept on going. Finally stopped at 7 miles only because of time constraints. Normally I give my nemasis hill a go but it normally beats me. It's a near vertical climb that takes a lot out of me. But not today. I totally owned that hill and told it who's boss of my run. Talk about a runners high.

I followed the run with 2 hours with the weights I'm feeling sore, tired but happy to have knocked it out of the park.

Beth
2013-07-30 11:22 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

Corbet, I got tired just looking at that hill you posted a picture of. I love the pictures and funny enough the other day I tried on the Zoot outfit you have in a one peace. Seeing and reading everybody's accomplishments is really getting me pumped since I only have 11 days to go. Hey my coach has given me a little trick that I have yet to practice but Im wondering if anybody here has done it.... He says the best way to get the wet sand off your feet when I come out of the water and run up the beach for T1 is..... BABY POWDER ! .... I was like HUH ?
2013-07-30 11:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by ibr80

Corbet, I got tired just looking at that hill you posted a picture of. I love the pictures and funny enough the other day I tried on the Zoot outfit you have in a one peace. Seeing and reading everybody's accomplishments is really getting me pumped since I only have 11 days to go. Hey my coach has given me a little trick that I have yet to practice but Im wondering if anybody here has done it.... He says the best way to get the wet sand off your feet when I come out of the water and run up the beach for T1 is..... BABY POWDER ! .... I was like HUH ?

That was one of the smaller hills, in grade as well as distance. That hill is also the first hill right out of both transitions. The entire course was hills like that both up and down. So 40mph down and 6.5mph up lol. There was only one person who had a cycle pace in the 20's @20.1. The zoot suit is very nice, plus it matched my bike and helmet perfectly :-). I don't have any tricks for sand, not something i encounter in central ky. Counting down 10 days tomorrow good luck!

Edited by corbetjackson50 2013-07-30 11:47 AM
2013-07-30 5:24 PM
in reply to: ibr80

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey Gang !!

I'm sorry I was away for such a long time but I have all kinds of events going on in my life withing the last couple of weeks,
and they are quite life changing but I'm glad to report that none affected my will to do my very first Triathlon. First off I will be
a daddy for the second time :0). Then after working in the Airlines for my entire life it looks like I will be making a career change after
14 years ( I'm 33 now ) and I'm a mess about it honestly. I'm going from suit and tie to boots and shovel, But it's all in an effort
to provide for my family and I have to do what I have to do sort of speak, and the money and benefits are fantastic.

Now as far as my training goes, I had a friend at work but me in touch with a great friend of hers who is multi Ironman finisher and
who is currently the swimming and athletics coach for a prep school here in NY and he has offered to help train me and it
has been amazing for the last 2 weeks. I feel very blessed to have met him and being that I'm only 2 weeks away, I'm not as
nervous as before. This week I will be going for an open swim evaluation with him at Coney Island beach to get an idea of what
the real deal will be like come August 11th.

I have been reading and I'm bringing myself up to date with everybody's progress and I plain to bring my training log up to date since
I kept it updated via mapmyride. Once again sorry I dropped out but I needed some time to clear my head.

Glad to have you back with the Turtles Issac. You have been away for a little while but seem to have found a grove while you were. Keep at it and you will be ready come the 11th.
2013-07-30 5:28 PM
in reply to: RZ0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RZ0

Sounds like a fun ride, Taringa.
Had my sprint tri today. It was . . . well, I didn't get a flat tire. And my wife points out I didn't have a heart attack in the swim and didn't break my collarbone falling off the bike.
This was a mini-sprint, with the swim only 400 meters. My goal was to break 1:15, and I made 1:15:25.
At least, that's the time on my watch. But that's the only time you'll see, because I forgot to put the timing chip on. I realized it about two minutes before the race, with no time to run back and get it. Kind makes it hard to get psyched up.
That time, by my reckoning, would be good for about 24th in my age group (50-54), out of 36 or so.
My performance overall was OK, though the swim was awful. Poor sighting and I think I've seen butterflies travel more direct routes. If you remember the old Family Circus cartoons where the black dots would show how Billy would go down the block via the playground, the woods, a couple mud puddles and a stop to pet the neighbor's dog - that was me.
The good news was I rode faster than I thought I would - averaged 20 mph (again by my clock). The 5K run was about what I thought it would be - 25 and change, or right about 8 min/mile. Again, you guys will know this, but without a chip timer, nothing will show up in the official result.
Now, fellow turtles, the reason I forgot about the chip was I failed to get to the race early. I got there about a half hour before my wave started. That was not enough time to lay out my gear and get everything ready. (I didn't want to get up before 5 a.m. We had to drive through fog in an area we didn't know.)
Anyhow, please learn from my mistake. The night before, take care of EVERYTHING that you can - like putting air in your bike tires, attaching the race number to the bike, etc. And get to the site early - I should have arrived an hour early. I would have been bored part of the time, but it would have given me time to make sure I had everything taken care of.

UPDATE: Sadly, a gentleman who left in the first wave with me died of a heart attack during the swim. My wife had said she had heard about a man pulled from the water getting treated. I just found out he died: http://news.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/2013/07/south-kings...
Makes some of the problems I ran into seem petty, which I guess they always were.

Great Job Jim, and sorry I was not there to help answer some of those questions you had but you made it to the other side nicely. I see that your run time was in line with where I have seen you run and wish I could run, and that bike time . So sad to hear about the death during the race, but a tragedy like that makes me think of two things. Be happy with your life (what you have and can do with it) and appreciate each and every day that we have. Again great job, Jim.

2013-07-30 5:55 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

I've had a bit of fun this morning as well, I went on a 40km charity bike ride. Non competitive, very friendly and chatty, but the whole course was rolling hills (and twice as far as I have ridden during workouts) so now I ache something terrible. It was good to get out and stretch myself, though, and I'm feeling quite pleased with my effort. Rest day tomorrow then a nice swim I think.

Anna, great ride. I did not get to do many this year, but I to have found that the orgainized group rides are a great training day that is very relaxing and enjoyable. It is also nice to do some training with other people instead of the normal solo workouts I do.
2013-07-30 5:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Rnay225

Great job Corbet! The lame duck tri isn't far from me but as soon as I read "hardest" I was out. I'm a wimp Glad to have you back Isaac and good job to everyone. I've loved reading your race reports! Sorry I don't have anything exciting to report. I really miss tri-ing and hopefully will get to do one at the end of August. It's been tough to get the swimming and biking in lately so with my marathon coming up I've just been running. I did an impromptu trail run but I've mostly been on the roads since that's what the race will be. I did my "long" run (8 miles) on Saturday and met my sister 2 miles away to run to a little 4 mile race downtown, ran the race then ran the 2 miles back. We totally looked like "those crazy people" we used to talk about when we first started racing. I maintained my Galloway run/walk intervals throughout and kept above a 12 minute mile average pretty much consistently. I'm hoping to hold around 10:30-11:00 for the race so I think I'm on my way and really feeling pretty good overall aside from a little hip pain but nothing too serious. Keep up the good work everyone!

Great Job and one heck of a run. I found it interesting how we don't want to walk but it ends up being faster in a lot of case to do a walk run ration because we end up trudging at a pace slower than a walk at times. Keep up the prep work for your Marathon.
2013-07-30 6:00 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hubbie

Hey everyone I'm sorry I've been out of the loop I've taken this past weekend off. On Friday my son had an appointment and we got the wonderful news that he's recovering as he needs to be and he will likely not suffer any permanent brain damage. That just made my day!!! Saturday was my kids birthday party with Sunday being my normal rest day.

Congrats on the newly minted athletes!!!! It's a wonderful feeling crossing the finish line. So sorry to hear about the gentleman who lost his life in the swim.

For my training I had planned on doing 5 miles but I felt so good I just kept on going. Finally stopped at 7 miles only because of time constraints. Normally I give my nemasis hill a go but it normally beats me. It's a near vertical climb that takes a lot out of me. But not today. I totally owned that hill and told it who's boss of my run. Talk about a runners high.

I followed the run with 2 hours with the weights I'm feeling sore, tired but happy to have knocked it out of the park.

Beth

Beth great workout and I am so happy to hear that the boy is free and clear.
2013-07-30 6:03 PM
in reply to: ibr80

User image

Extreme Veteran

Issac, I don't know aobut the whole baby powder thing. I always put body glide on my feet, especially the inside portion prior to the race to prevent blisters throughout the day. As far as the sand goes I can tell you what I do. I have a small bottle of water in T1 which I pour on my feet to get the sand off, wipe them with a towel, and put on my socks and shoes. It takes me about 30 extra seconds, which is worth it to me not to feel the sand in my socks and shoes.
2013-07-30 6:34 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Issac, I don't know aobut the whole baby powder thing. I always put body glide on my feet, especially the inside portion prior to the race to prevent blisters throughout the day. As far as the sand goes I can tell you what I do. I have a small bottle of water in T1 which I pour on my feet to get the sand off, wipe them with a towel, and put on my socks and shoes. It takes me about 30 extra seconds, which is worth it to me not to feel the sand in my socks and shoes.

I use a water bottle in transition to rinse my feet and line my shoes with baby powder but that's for the moisture more than the sand. Interesting...

2013-07-30 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Finished my first bike ride since shattering my ankle 14 months ago during a bike wipe-out. We didn't go too far but we were out there. Warmed up in the parking lot before going on the trail
2013-07-30 7:36 PM

Originally posted by RZ0

Sounds like a fun ride, Taringa.
Had my sprint tri today. It was . . . well, I didn't get a flat tire. And my wife points out I didn't have a heart attack in the swim and didn't break my collarbone falling off the bike.
This was a mini-sprint, with the swim only 400 meters. My goal was to break 1:15, and I made 1:15:25.
At least, that's the time on my watch. But that's the only time you'll see, because I forgot to put the timing chip on. I realized it about two minutes before the race, with no time to run back and get it. Kind makes it hard to get psyched up.
That time, by my reckoning, would be good for about 24th in my age group (50-54), out of 36 or so.
My performance overall was OK, though the swim was awful. Poor sighting and I think I've seen butterflies travel more direct routes. If you remember the old Family Circus cartoons where the black dots would show how Billy would go down the block via the playground, the woods, a couple mud puddles and a stop to pet the neighbor's dog - that was me.
The good news was I rode faster than I thought I would - averaged 20 mph (again by my clock). The 5K run was about what I thought it would be - 25 and change, or right about 8 min/mile. Again, you guys will know this, but without a chip timer, nothing will show up in the official result.
Now, fellow turtles, the reason I forgot about the chip was I failed to get to the race early. I got there about a half hour before my wave started. That was not enough time to lay out my gear and get everything ready. (I didn't want to get up before 5 a.m. We had to drive through fog in an area we didn't know.)
Anyhow, please learn from my mistake. The night before, take care of EVERYTHING that you can - like putting air in your bike tires, attaching the race number to the bike, etc. And get to the site early - I should have arrived an hour early. I would have been bored part of the time, but it would have given me time to make sure I had everything taken care of.

UPDATE: Sadly, a gentleman who left in the first wave with me died of a heart attack during the swim. My wife had said she had heard about a man pulled from the water getting treated. I just found out he died: http://news.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/2013/07/south-kings...
Makes some of the problems I ran into seem petty, which I guess they always were.

Great Job Jim, and sorry I was not there to help answer some of those questions you had but you made it to the other side nicely. I see that your run time was in line with where I have seen you run and wish I could run, and that bike time . So sad to hear about the death during the race, but a tragedy like that makes me think of two things. Be happy with your life (what you have and can do with it) and appreciate each and every day that we have. Again great job, Jim.

Thanks. A little better organization and I would have been under 1:15, which was my goal.
It's a funny sort of sadness I feel. The gentleman who died was in my wave. I didn't see anything. I was racing. It's sobering to think that at the start of the race, you were standing about 20 feet from someone who wouldn't make it out of the water.
I don't have any doubts about continuing in triathlons. I'm a good swimmer and have always approached the swim cautiously. I treat the swim as warmup for the bike and run. That plus my confidence swimming reduce the stress I feel swimming.
All that said, I have to sit and think about what happened. Sorry to drag all of you through it. But, you know, please be careful. I want the turtles to be like most turtles and live a very long time.
2013-07-31 8:19 AM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

Finished my first bike ride since shattering my ankle 14 months ago during a bike wipe-out. We didn't go too far but we were out there. Warmed up in the parking lot before going on the trail

Way to face your fear and get back up on that horse. The distance doesn't matter, what matters is that you faced it and went out to do it again. Great Job
2013-07-31 10:29 AM

, Alabama
Hi everyone, I haven't posted much lately but I have been enjoying reading all your posts and seeing the progress everyone is making. I have been getting back into training after being sick about six weeks ago. It is coming along slowly. I have a triathlon on Sunday and thought I would give you all a laugh by sharing that they give you mints after the swim to take away the taste of the water!!! Not sure if I am looking forward to that...... :-)
2013-07-31 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Noreen, that is sick and hilarious all at the same time. I see that you have putting in some nice long swim so apparently some of those fears are gone now!

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-07-31 10:51 AM

2013-08-01 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok, yall forced me to post nothing to prevent us from going to the second page of the forum. You should all be ashamed.
2013-08-01 12:58 PM

, Alabama
I blame me Todd! I will try to post more often :-)
2013-08-01 1:00 PM

, Alabama
Yup that a out sums it up sick and hilarious! I have been swimming a lot lately but that is because it is school summer break here and I can take my son with me. So he feels like I am being a good mum and taking him somewhere while I feel that I am getting some sort of training in! ;-)
2013-08-01 1:38 PM
in reply to: NMS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nothing wrong with that at all, Win Win in my book.
2013-08-01 1:58 PM

User image

Ok, yall forced me to post nothing to prevent us from going to the second page of the forum. You should all be ashamed.

Todd we are still waiting for pics from your half...

2013-08-01 8:58 PM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

Extreme Veteran
They will get in this weekend, I have barely had time to post and get on here the times I have this week because of getting back into the swing at work. They are coming, although not the best because my photograher (wife) doesn't put much into it.
2013-08-01 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
After almost a week of terrible weather it was finally nice outside. So despite having worked all night I just couldn't let the perfect day go to waste. So I jumped on my bike and did a 34 mile ride battling head winds and cross winds almost the entire way and I loved every minute of it. Felt great to be back out on the road again.

And Todd, blaming your wife for your poor pictures......shame on you!!!!! If your wife had the temperament of my mother we likely would never find the body. Just saying........

Edited by Hubbie 2013-08-01 9:20 PM
2013-08-02 5:54 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Question time for all you turtles!

This subject has been tackled now and again on the open forums, but I thought I'd ask my mates....What are everyone's thoughts on training plans, planning, how to do it, how to stick to it, etc?

I've decided just recently that I should  try to be a bit structured; up until now I've written myself a swim/bike/run/strength pattern month by month but my workouts have been a bit impulsive. I've borrowed Joe Friel's Training Bible from the library (and ordered my own copy online), set myself an annual training plan, and I'm hoping to stick to it and see some results. His stuff does seem to make scientific/biological sense ( though I'm not convinced on the paleo diet part, I like my bread too much) and it all seems to be well thought-out. 

Anyone using his methods? Tips and tricks, pitfalls to avoid? 

Edited by Taringa 2013-08-02 5:56 AM
2013-08-02 7:53 AM
in reply to: Taringa

Originally posted by Taringa

Question time for all you turtles!

This subject has been tackled now and again on the open forums, but I thought I'd ask my mates....What are everyone's thoughts on training plans, planning, how to do it, how to stick to it, etc?

I've decided just recently that I should  try to be a bit structured; up until now I've written myself a swim/bike/run/strength pattern month by month but my workouts have been a bit impulsive. I've borrowed Joe Friel's Training Bible from the library (and ordered my own copy online), set myself an annual training plan, and I'm hoping to stick to it and see some results. His stuff does seem to make scientific/biological sense ( though I'm not convinced on the paleo diet part, I like my bread too much) and it all seems to be well thought-out. 

Anyone using his methods? Tips and tricks, pitfalls to avoid? 

I used a generic training plan I downloaded off the internet. It simply gave minutes per day for each discipline. Monday might be 45-minute run, Tuesday might be 30-minute swim, 15-minute run, etc.
It kept me disciplined, just like any 'to-do' list does. Knowing what I had to do in a day made me more likely to do it.
It helped me plan ahead. Sometimes looking out a couple days, I'd see some conflicts. One weekend I was out of town but scheduled to do a swim I knew I wouldn't have time for. So I moved the swim up a couple of days and moved a run into the weekend.
There are lots of places to pick up schedules, including elsewhere on the BT site. I guess I'd advise avoiding schedules that are too ambitious - calling for two hours a day/six days a week when you only have time for 45 minutes, that sort of thing.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45