BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-08-10 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
YEA DENISE!!   You are a triathlete!   I think you did great!   And as Lora said before...a win is a win!  Enjoy it!

So how was the post-race meal?    Are you ready to do another one yet?

Blessings,
Sharie

2009-08-10 10:19 PM
in reply to: #2339565

User image

Illinois

Denise,

Good job!  Given your weather you should be especially proud of yourself.

Sue

2009-08-10 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Hey Ladies,

I leave tomorrow morning for a 1000 mile trip to see our #2ds in northern MT.   We will arrive Wed. afternoon and spend a few days with him.   On Saturday, I will be doing my 2nd tri!!   It has an ows - which scares me - but I think it is time to do another one!   I have gotten back to training...at least last week was good.   So say a prayer for me!

I will be back home next Sunday and will check in then.

Blessings
Sharie
2009-08-10 10:37 PM
in reply to: #2340408

User image

Illinois

Sharie,

Your energy makes me tired!  I'd still be recovering from a 1000 mile drive on Saturday rather then doing a secnd tri!  Good luck.

Sue

2009-08-11 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
ranchrunner - 2009-08-10 10:22 PM Hey Ladies,

I leave tomorrow morning for a 1000 mile trip to see our #2ds in northern MT.   We will arrive Wed. afternoon and spend a few days with him.   On Saturday, I will be doing my 2nd tri!!   It has an ows - which scares me - but I think it is time to do another one!   I have gotten back to training...at least last week was good.   So say a prayer for me!

I will be back home next Sunday and will check in then.

Blessings
Sharie

You definately work hard and play hard.  Good luck on your second tri.  I should have sighted more on my tri ows - I swam "A LOT" of extra yards - and I'm very slow - but it wasn't scary.

I have my 2nd tri a week after yours.  Since it's only 2 weeks since my last one, I won't be getting any fitter.  However, I learned a lot from the 1st one and think I will be much better mentally prepared for the next one and able to cut some time.  I'm kind of in the same situation as you with the traveling - we have to move our daughter back to college right before my tri so we will be travelling for a couple days.

Good luck again and have a nice trip.
Denise

Good luck again and ha
2009-08-11 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Denise, you rocked it!  Awesome job!

Sharie, that open water should be afraid of you!!!!  Safe travels and tear it up!!!!

2009-08-12 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
Well, I deceided on my last tri of the season and I am all signed up! Hopefully, DH and the kids will make it to this one! It isn't too far away, has a late start, and is on the lake we have been boating on. Did I mention our new hobby? We now have a boat and I tried water skiing for the first time last weekend! I am sore and bruised in some new and interesting places.

Congrats Denise! I hope you get some good rest in before your next tri! 
2009-08-14 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2345218

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
freeflykami - 2009-08-12 9:21 PM Well, I deceided on my last tri of the season and I am all signed up! Hopefully, DH and the kids will make it to this one! It isn't too far away, has a late start, and is on the lake we have been boating on. Did I mention our new hobby? We now have a boat and I tried water skiing for the first time last weekend! I am sore and bruised in some new and interesting places.

Congrats Denise! I hope you get some good rest in before your next tri! 

I could totally never do water skiiing!!!  I'm afraid of the water afterall.    Glad you've found another aspect of life to enjoy and congrats on signing up for that last race of the year.
2009-08-20 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
SO, where is everyone? Have we all finished our first tri?

I hope everyone is doing well and training hard ;0)
2009-08-21 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
x2 Kami!  Believe it or not, for most of us, we're approaching the end of the season...and I just can't believe it!!!!

How is everyone feeling about the end of the season?  Relieved?  Depressed?  Already registered for the first tri of the next season?

I've got my first half iron distace tri on September 27th and I'm, well...I'm just a little frightened to be honest.    I'm more behind schedule than I wanted to be on my bike and run, but I'm working hard these last few weeks (hopefully without over-training) to finish.  My biggest concern is the swim.  (Isn't that what everybody always says? )  This race has cut-off times and I can make the bike and run times, but I'll be cutting it extremely close to the swim, and then the bike and run times won't matter, of course.

I've reached out for some advice from the girls over on GOTRIbal (www.gotribalnow.com), and they've really given me the encouragement and spark that I needed to keep focused.

So, that being said, I'm still living in the moment, focused on this season's ultimate race.  I'm excited about taking my place as the last one out of the water, and about earning the title of Dead Last.  For me, Dead Last is way cooler than Never Started.

Have a great weekend, ladies!  PM me if you need anything of have any questions!

- Lora
2009-08-21 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Hi Ladies!

I am back from MT.   It was a fun trip, but I didn't end up getting to do the triathlon.   I made the decision to stay with my ds a bit longer on Saturday rather than rush out at 6am for the triathlon.   I have had a few twinges of regret but they don't last long...I am glad I stayed.   We had a fun day together.    He may be headed straight from there to college and even if he gets home it will only be for a day or 2 tops.  

Lora - will be praying for your HIM!   WOW!   I don't know that I will ever do one of those.

I may sign up for a sprint in Parker, CO on Sept 13.   Waiting to find out what weekend I need to go to AZ again for me mom.  It may fall on that weekend which probably means I am done for the season right now...with only 1 tri.   I am ok with that if that is how it works out, although I had really wanted to do at least 2 this season.   Seemed like every time I settle on one, something happens that keeps me from doing it.    I don't dread the season being over.  I am happy with my accomplishments thus far and plan to keep training through the winter.

Blessings

2009-08-21 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2362711

User image

Illinois

Lora,

I loved it.  "Dead Last is way cooler than Never Started."  I totally agree and certainly feel the same.  While I didn't come in dead last in my mini-tri, it might have been a possibility and I consoled myself with the idea that doing it was so much better than sitting on the couch (where I am right now).

I am trying to find a 5K to do this fall before the weather gets too cold or rainy.  I don't really want to do one but I do want to do the mini-tri again next year and want to break that one hour mark so just a little faster on the run and bike will do it for me.

I did go out with a friend last weekend and moved while she ran the 5K trails (that had hills no less).  I ran about 1/3 of it and walked the rest quickly.   I do want to do a race which will force me to actually train to RUN for 5K.  Maybe mid-October gives me time to train for a race.

Wishing you the best of luck on your race, Lora.

Sue

2009-08-22 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

Well, we got our daughter moved back to college.  I think this was the last summer she'll be at home - she'll stay in Madison next summer and work.  Kinda sad.  You know how it is, Sharie.  Actually, I'm getting kind of misty just thinking about it.

I've got my 2nd tri tomorrow and it'll be my last for the season.  It's longer than the 1st but I'm not nearly as nervous as I was for the 1st.  I know about how I'll do - and that's fine.  I'm the oldest female (400 registered) so I'll get an age group award again fi I finish.

I'm taking a week off - then I'll start a 20 week winter program I found here on BT.  There's a 5K in Bemidji in January (that's a cold one) and I think the Y has an indoor tri in the winter.  I'm looking at some tris for next year and I will have new goals - no longer just to finish - maybe 1/3 from the bottom - I honestly think that's about as high as I could go.

I just saw a post that the spring mentor program is officially over so I won't be posting anymoe.  I'll check back occasionally to see what you guys are up to if you're still posting.

Good luck everyone that still has races,
Bye-bye
Denise
2009-08-23 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
Over so soon? This summer has gone by too quick!
Lora, I envy you to even try a HIM, I don't know when or if I will ever be ready for something that long! and I can't even say, "but the swim..."
I have one more tri to go and I am dealing with my first injury, kinda. I'm pretty sure it is an ITB problem and am going to try to deal with it by streching.
I guess good luck to everyone in the next season!
Kami
2009-09-13 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
I guess I am the last one to complete their first - I just did today and I had SUCH a good time!  I took first place in the Athena division! ( and yes there weremore than one - about10 overall).  I think this was the perfect first tri  - it was a pool swim, and an all women's event. Sally Edwards was such a good sport at cheering and encouraging everyone, and it was encouraging to see women of ALL ages, shapes sizes and backgrounds, including any survivors. Wow. I will post a RR later.

Edited by bluwatersoul 2009-09-13 10:09 AM
2009-09-13 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2403077

User image

Illinois

Congrats!  Fabulous times.  It sounds like the race was just perfect.

Sue

2009-09-21 5:45 AM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
Hi Ladies!  Sorry I've been absent for so long.  With the move and everything I haven't been online much.  Now that the kids are back in school I am going to try to check in more often.

Congratulations to all of you who completed your first tris (and seconds, and thirds...)!

This past Saturday I went back to the lake where I did my first sprint in June and completed an Olympic distance race.  I really wanted to do better on the swim, and I did.  It had taken me 30 minutes to do 750m in June, and I did 1500m in 41 minutes.  That was nearly a minute off my 100 yard pace.  I was so happy.  I was seriously undertrained on the bike, so it went downhill from there, but I finished and that's all I wanted to do.

I've got to go back and catch up on the thread and find out what's going on with all of you.
2009-09-21 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Great job on the swim time and completing an Oly distance!  WOW!  I am afraid to try more than a sprint.

Also, congrats to BWS on your first place at the tri!  

I did another tri last weekend and took another silver medal in my AG.  There were 13 total.   It was much more fun than my first tri although the bike ride was the pits because of hills and wind.

Sharie
2009-10-28 7:16 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Wow, it sure has been a while.  A lot has happened with me.  I got a promotion at work during the last couple months as our paper's (and 5 other sister paper's) online editor, so things have been crazy busy.

I did want to let you know that new mentor groups will be starting-up in mid-December so be on the lookout for those.  I would definitely recommend joining another group to keep you going through the winter and to experience a different group of people.

We can, of course, keep this thread going as long as we'd like.  Many groups do; they just get moved to Archives.

In the meantime, I wanted to let you know that it has been an honor being a part of your first tri season.  My only regret is that I wasn't available as much as I would have liked to have been.  Starting back to work full time earlier this year really cut into my tri training and my tri life - way more than I ever could have imagined - so I sincerely hope you all will forgive me.

Again, this is not necessarily goodbye, but as things move forward I just wanted to share those things with you.

Have a wonderful evening!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36