BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-03-20 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3405605

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
sbsmann - 2011-03-20 3:40 PM

Got in a solid 90 minute ride today despite being a bit run down from a late binge of an evening.

Anyway, as the weather warms and outdoor biking finally becomes a reality, I realize I might want to invest in a good pair of nice, new tires this year.  My handlebar tape is pretty worn as well and I'd like something a little thicker and more comfortable.  I am just curious what types of tires people like for both training and racing and whether you swap out tires for training vs racing (for those of us with only one set of wheels/rims)?

People can get really anal about tires and rolling resistance. See here:

http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old/images/AFM_tire_testing_rev...

I use Michelin ProRace 3's. I just like them. There really was no other reason why I chose them. You'll hear all kinds of crazy stuff like rolling resistance and using latex tubes. Personally, I think that is really splitting hairs. No doubt that every little bit counts but it's just not for me. I do think it is worth have a racing and training set of tires. If I ever start competing for winning races outright I'll start worrying about those kind of details.
Jamie

2011-03-21 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Happy (?) Monday everyone.  Had a great training weekend with a good run outside Saturday (7 miles) and actually got out on the bike on Sunday (goodbye trainer I hope).  I did manage to break one of my aero bar pads, but I was at least standing still so it could have been bad. Rode about 25 miles and felt fantastic. I'm completely amazed at the level of fitness I have now vs. last year.  Last year a 25 mile ride would have definitely taken it's toll on me. It wasn't a problem yesterday.  Have a 30 minute run today.

Exciting news...my wife signed up for a tri. She's never done anything like it, but always liked being active. I'm very excited for her

Edited by syscrash 2011-03-21 11:06 AM
2011-03-21 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3406771

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
syscrash - 2011-03-21 12:05 PM

Happy (?) Monday everyone.  Had a great training weekend with a good run outside Saturday (7 miles) and actually got out on the bike on Sunday (goodbye trainer I hope).  I did manage to break one of my aero bar pads, but I was at least standing still so it could have been bad. Rode about 25 miles and felt fantastic. I'm completely amazed at the level of fitness I have now vs. last year.  Last year a 25 mile ride would have definitely taken it's toll on me. It wasn't a problem yesterday.  Have a 30 minute run today.

Exciting news...my wife signed up for a tri. She's never done anything like it, but always liked being active. I'm very excited for her

I've broken a bunch of plastic and carbon aero bar pads over the years. I've actually switched back to the old aluminum ones. Sometimes, weight savings just isn't worth it!

Jamie
2011-03-21 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Happy Monday to you all! Had a good training weekend.. ran 11.5 miles on Saturday  and then cleared out the fence row behind my house. That was work!! Sunday got in 3 hrs on the trainer and then went outside and ran on the trails on my property with my dog. Couldn't believe how good my legs felt!! Maybe I'm onto something with this base training!   Today I managed to get up early and get in a strength session and then swim at lunchtime. I'm finding that I feel better NOT taking a complete day off- instead the light recovery workouts seem to be making me feel looser- better...

We have a Yakima doubledown 2 hitch bike carrier that we use on the truck. It's been a really good bike rack. We've been using for 4 years now with no problems. We also have a bike carrier that fits in the back of the truck that spring mounts against the side of the bed and the bikes mount onto it via the front forks. The nice thing with that rack is that it also fits in the back of my car with the seats folded down and I can haul my bike around.

2011-03-21 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Ahhhh, recovery week! Two months from now I'll be an Ironman! I had a good training week for the most part. My long bike of 4 hours on Friday on the trainer left me a little puzzled though. I never really worked up a good sweat, and never felt super fatigued like I expected to. This is where RPE training kind of falls apart. I was too conservative obviously. My next long bike is the first weekend in April. Hopefully I can find the right pace on that one.

Sunday was solid. I did two hours on the trainer at a good clip then a 30 minute T-run. The first few minutes it was dry then it started drizzling, then it started pouring. I think the rain makes you run faster...I did a little over 4 miles at a sub-7:30 pace (with rollers). It was a great confidence boost to be able to run hard off the bike.

So after this recovery week, I have one more 5 week block of mega hours then 3 weeks of taper. Really, there are only 4 more big volume weeks ahead of me!

2011-03-21 7:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Ohh I have a question for anyone who knows anything about salt. I plan on taking Athlytes (or something similar) on race day. I haven't been training with salt pills at all because it just hasn't been warm enough to need them. I won't be able to train in humidity before race day...so I'd err on the side of caution and take extra salt than I think I need on race day.

I've heard that your body absorbs nutrients it needs, and you pee out the rest - is that true for salt? Is there no risk to taking too much salt?

2011-03-21 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Ugh...I think I just found the answer: "Use the smallest effective amount since the negative effects of too much sodium/ electrolyte tablets (or capsules) can be gastrointestinal cramping, nausea and stomach sloshing."

http://ironman.com/training/nutrition/electrolytes-in-the-ironman-nutrition-and-hydration-plan#axzz1HHcRBbAv

Sounds like trial and error is the name of the game.

2011-03-21 7:44 PM

User image

New user

Got my first outdoor ride in for 2011!  Weather was decent and the time change allowed me to get something in before dark.  Interesting how different the feeling is versus the trainer and the amount of time I have spent on it,  neck is stiff in comparision to normal.  I think I might have to get my fit checked again after all this time in aero...

2011-03-22 3:34 AM
in reply to: #3407734

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Dave,
It's pretty much impossible to tell how much salt you lose. The key here is to train with it regardless of heat. This will be really important for you b/c IMTX will most likely be very hot. As we said from the very beginning of the thread it is critical for you to figure out and practice your hydration/nutrition/salt needs from very early on in your training.

I'm not familiar with the kind of salt you are taking. To me, a chemist, they are basically all of the same. The different brands just throw in a few mg's of some other element ( Mg, Ca, Zn) just to get around the intellectual property (patent protection) of other brands. IMO, beyond the Na, K and Cl is just a bunch of marketing crap. So take whatever you want.

For the last 3 IM's I took 3 Salt Stick caps/hr on the bike and one every other mile on the run. Maybe 2/hr for everything (except swim) is a good place to start for you. As I've said before you have to take into account the type of hydration and nutrition you are using. In the 'big picture' I take in about 1-1.5 g of salt/hr depending on the temperature at the race. This is ingested as a combination of salt tabs, powerbar gels that have extra salt, and the odd swig of Performance drink on the course. So you need to figure out your entire plan for the race and balance the numbers. One easy way to get more salt without taking tabs is to drink a lot of sports drink. Keep in mind though that your sweat rate could have you ingesting waaaay too many CHO's and salt/hr just to keep up with your hydration needs. I can virtually assure you that this WILL be the case.

Salt is a tricky beast. It's really impossible to say that it helped you but it is easy to figure out when you ran out of it b/c you'll be on the pavement. I know the guy that runs Salt Stick and sponsors a lot of the pros. He tells me that salt intake varies wildly from 1-2 pills/hour to 10-15/hour.

Remember this though. If you start feeling like crap on the run and your stomach is sloshing around b/c it stopped digesting you'll hear the familiar sound of a half full canteen sloshing in your belly. You'll start to feel pretty uncomfortable. Take 1-2 salt tabs and slow down just a bit! They will help your stomach work again. Better yet, and I've said it before, sip at some of the chicken broth that will be at the aid stations late in the run. It's loaded with salt and it's like magic. You won't want to drink it, but do it!

jamie
2011-03-22 3:37 AM
in reply to: #3407748

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
JBougher - 2011-03-21 8:44 PM

Got my first outdoor ride in for 2011!  Weather was decent and the time change allowed me to get something in before dark.  Interesting how different the feeling is versus the trainer and the amount of time I have spent on it,  neck is stiff in comparision to normal.  I think I might have to get my fit checked again after all this time in aero...

Jerry, most likely your neck is stiff b/c you are looking at a different angle on the road compared to your CT head unit/TV. Happens to me to b/c I stare down at my PT #'s in between my handlebars rather than down the road.

jamie
2011-03-22 3:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Good day for me yesterday.

Masters swim in the AM
6.5 mile run @ 6:51 over lunch
1 Hr on the trainer after work w/40' at FTP.

Up early again today for masters swim b/c pool is closed for the rest of the week. Pool switches to long course today. That is always a bit painful for the first week or two!

Jamie

2011-03-22 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3408003

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Thanks for the salt advice Jamie - I had a feeling you'd know a lot about it. I'll start experimenting with it on my long rides/runs.

Unfortunately, I do know that sloshy half full canteen feeling. At the Vineman HIM last summer, it was 90 degrees. I was in the very last wave so we got the worst of the heat. On the bike, I reached into my bento box for a salt pill, then hit a bump in the road before i could zip it closed, and my "dime baggie" of salt pills bounced right out. No way I was going to turn around. The last couple miles of the run, I paid the price. I'm thankful the sloshing didn't start earlier in the run, or I really would have been in trouble.

For IMTX I'll have to come up with a better dispensing system!

2011-03-22 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3408785

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Make sure you take way more than you think you will need with you on the bike and run. For the bike, I use one of those large tic tac dispensers that you can get anywhere. For the run, I use a ziplock baggie and stick in up the leg of my shorts.

I also have the same amount in my special needs bags on the bike and run. Salt tabs are cheap. A DNF is costly!

Jamie
2011-03-22 8:39 PM

User image

New user

The WI Spring weather sent me back to the trainer...Snow and freezing rain today!

1 hr on the trainer today.  New chain and cassette feel pretty good.

2011-03-23 12:15 PM

Winnipeg

some really interesting comments on salt intake. Thx for the discussion I am one of those that gets that 1/2 full canteen feeling and as I never use to use sports drinks or anything other than water it makes sense

Back in full gear training after holidays and had a good days monday and tuesday and a full day planned for today also.

Legs bit tired after all the running on holidays and I felt the lay off on day 3 of getting back into it on the trainer this morning.

Just getting ready to jump into the 20 week program next week and working a marathonn training program into it also. While I don't plan to run the marathon the group is training for and will probably max out at 20 miles , it provides me the discipline and commitment to make sure I do my long runs and some hill training and speed work.

embrace the wind

2011-03-23 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Hi everyone,

Had track last night. I've been avoiding going this year so far...because it hurts. Have a 30 or 40 minute very slow recovery run today. I was able to see my improvement over last year very clearly at track.

Question for those that run on pace. I've got where I should be doing my various runs using the Mcmillan calculator and readjusted based on my timings last night (we did a ladder, so I just used my first 400 time 1:36). I get that I train at those paces (right?), but how often do I re-test myself so I know if I should be running faster than I am. I've been training quite a bit faster than McMillan says I should lately.

Have a great day all!

2011-03-23 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3410827

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
syscrash - 2011-03-23 2:17 PM

Hi everyone,

Had track last night. I've been avoiding going this year so far...because it hurts. Have a 30 or 40 minute very slow recovery run today. I was able to see my improvement over last year very clearly at track.

Question for those that run on pace. I've got where I should be doing my various runs using the Mcmillan calculator and readjusted based on my timings last night (we did a ladder, so I just used my first 400 time 1:36). I get that I train at those paces (right?), but how often do I re-test myself so I know if I should be running faster than I am. I've been training quite a bit faster than McMillan says I should lately.

Have a great day all!

Every 4-6 weeks is typical for testing.

Jamie
2011-03-23 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Two 60' trainer rides with 40'@FTP each and two 6.5 mile lunch runs for me yesterday and today.

It's getting easier to push the FTP wattage which I like to see. My goal HIM watts are feeling relatively doable now. Just need to push the time up to 3 hrs to know for sure.

Jamie
2011-03-23 6:35 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Just a swim for me today, but afterwards I had one of those quality, confidence-boosting moments.  Even though I am only in week 4 of a 20 week HIM plan, this is the most swim volume I have ever done.  What is it that gave me the confidence booster you may be asking yourself?  Well, it is the fact that I can kick out an 1800 yard swim on my lunch break with minimal difficulty and even a sense of comfort in the pool.  Furthermore, my bad shoulder doesn't even bother me much.  I realize the pool isn't the open water and the swim is not combined with a bike and run, but who cares.  1800 yards is getting pretty close to HIM distance and not having to kill myself to finish is VERY nice.  All of that makes me rather happy and confident.

Okay....everyone can carry on now that I have raved about my progress.  Longer run for me on the schedule tomorrow morning.  Unfortunately they are are talking about snow tonight so I might have to go to the indoor running track (but definitely not the treadmill).

2011-03-24 3:10 AM
in reply to: #3411386

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
@sbsmann

Nice job in the pool. It's always good to get some really good swim fitness so early in your program. Best advice for you bad shoulder is to never 'cross over' during your swim stroke. Draw an imaginary line from the center of your head down your torso and never let your arm/hand during the catch and pull cross that line. A lot of shoulder problems in swimming are cause from crossing that line during the catch while your arm is extended out in front as far is it will go. Keep it wide.

Jamie
2011-03-24 6:10 PM

User image

New user

Quiet group lately...

I got in 30 mins on the dreadmill yesterday between work and work dinner...

Tonight, more bike work and maybe a swim...

2011-03-25 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
It is finally Friday! Been quiet here due to stressful week at work. I haven't missed a workout though So I am happy about that. Wed: 40 min recovery runThurs: 3 mile run @10:20...very easyToday: 40 minute run@10:20Sat: bikeMy wife signed up for her first tri so I will likely Be biking with her on Saturday if she is comfortable enough.
2011-03-25 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Definitely getting quiet...tri season is just kicking off - it's way too early for the thread to lose steam!

It has been SUPER rainy on the west coast. It had me in a crummy mood last night so I took the day off. This morning I got in a 90 minute spin, I'll do a 30-60 minute run tonight before dinner with my fiance's family. I shouldn't have any trouble meeting my volume this week (only 8.5 hours planned).

Good news is that the nice weather should be back next week...so I'm looking forward to getting some training in outdoors.

2011-03-25 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3414070

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
dhopman - 2011-03-25 11:21 AM

Definitely getting quiet...tri season is just kicking off - it's way too early for the thread to lose steam!

It has been SUPER rainy on the west coast. It had me in a crummy mood last night so I took the day off. This morning I got in a 90 minute spin, I'll do a 30-60 minute run tonight before dinner with my fiance's family. I shouldn't have any trouble meeting my volume this week (only 8.5 hours planned).

Good news is that the nice weather should be back next week...so I'm looking forward to getting some training in outdoors.

I think maybe some of the cold weather people went back into hibernation after a false spring alert.  All I know is I was doing an 8 mile run in 20 degree temps yesterday and was dressed the same way that I was in the heart of the winter in January.  Enough already & can't someone talk Mother Nature into turning up the heat a little bit?

2011-03-25 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3414070

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
dhopman - 2011-03-25 12:21 PM

Did you get in that long trainer ride last week? Doesn't the rainy weather make you want to do MORE of it!

It has been quiet around here. I just figured crap weather in midwest (again) as Scott said and spring break stuff. I've already got my 30mpw running in this week and have one 1hr 40' trainer ride tomorrow morning. Again this will be a long continuous ride @ HIM watts and I'll check my sweat rate too just for fun (fun being a relative term!).

Tomorrow is the state swim meet. I didn't sign up but the Mrs. is doing a few events just for fun. I need to get up tomorrow @ 4AM to get my ride in so I can watch her for the rest of the day. This is really no big deal for me b/c I'm usually up at 4 anyway.

I've personally never done a swim meet. Something about never jumping off the blocks, inability to flip turn and sheer embarrassment of my slowness next to 'real' swimmers has kept me spectating. I do swim the open water events. I've done the 5K OWS here in town and Big Shoulders 5K up in Chicago. The USMS 25K open water championships is here again this year. My wife did it a few years back. I did it on a relay team so I just did one 5K lap. We may do the relay together this year again with a few friends. One nice thing about a swim race is that it's pretty easy to pack!

We were going to do Big Shoulders again this year but we have a wedding that day. If you ever can get to Chicago to do it I would suggest it. That water is cold though!!

Have a good one,
Jamie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40