BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-02-26 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
Friends,

I know I havent been around as much as I would have liked, but after last nights swim clinic, I am so focused and reenergeized.

For those of us who are struggling with swimming, I would highly suggest getting swim lessons from someone who understands lap swimming and adult learners.

Just about a year ago, I put out this wacky idea of doing a triathlon. Well when I first jumped int he pool, I would swim one length of pool completely out of breath, and with my face/shoulders completely out of the water. I started watching others in pool, reading books, and DVD's. I then started making great strides in swimming, but late last Summer I just hit a wall on my endurance, distance, etc. I even took what was advertised as a triathlon swim fitness class. Well all that ended up being was one hour of being tortured with very little swim technique. Well as I read, if you have poor technique then you will get even more bad habits.

Well a few months ago, my tri club started working on a swim clinic with a local high swim coach who has been working with the tri club for a few years with great results. I was a nervous wreck yesterday thinking that I wasnt good enough to hang with the other members of the tri club and would only be successful and drowning myself. The coach spent probably 15 mins at the very beginning talking about good swim technique and how to swim. Immediately after that, we hit pool, broken up in just how well or poorly we swim. I decided to wander over over to the stupid lane. I picked the perfect lane, because we had our own swim coach. He almost immediately found that my lead arm was crossing over the midline, and actually would swim down the lane like a drunk driver. He had me widen out my stroke, and almost immediately I seemed to just glide.

I had been breathing like every other stroke, but working on breathing every 3rd stroke, but it was a struggle. Well I found myself stroking like 5-6 times before taking a breath. My heart rate seemed to get better, by breathlessness seemed to almost go away. I noticed my legs coming up to the surface.

It was about an 1 hr 20 mins of doing kick drills, gliding, pull bouys, treading water. This guy seems to have a perfect system for getting a short fat guy swimming. I am now feeling like I could do a tri with a swim longer than 300 yards.

For those struggling with swimming, find a true swim coach, and get professional help. You will be amazed with the improvement you'll see.

Thanks

2008-02-26 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Thanks for the info Robyn.  That helps a lot.  My March 29th Sprint is getting closer really quickly!  I'm more excited than anything.  Hopefully this year I will not get gripy and b*tchy on the packet pick up day.  Poor BF got the brunt of my nerves, impatience or whatever it was at my first sprint last year.

I will work really hard on the freak out portion.  No way am I cancelling! I've already paid for my room and the entires.  I'm bringing my own cheering section as well. BF, my son and his best buddy are all traveling with me to Galveston and we are going to stay another night to watch the olympic race the next day and to enjoy the festivities.

And yes Jay...it was 92 here yesterday.  Come on down..the water is awesome. 

Coach Troy (Spinnervals time trial 2.0) kicked my @ss this morning. My muscles are really feeling fatigued and were yesterday as well. My cardio has improved a lot, but my leg strength is going away before I hit my HR max by quite a bit.  Any of you guys having the same issue? I hope that I am building strength by pushing past the fatigue.  I need to weigh so that I can make sure that I'm getting enough fuel too.

Cheers, and glad to see you back Elizabeth and Laura. You were missed!

Les 

2008-02-26 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1235685

User image

Yes... get someone that knows what they are doing to look at your swim stroke.  I had Jorge (amiine) kick me in the butt with my swim stroke and it has gotten much much better.  I was doing the same thing you were by crossing the midline.  I had no idea I was doing it.  He told me to buy an elastic band and tie it to something and practice my pull.    It helped A LOT.
2008-02-26 10:30 PM

User image

Denver,CO
Ok swimmers,
HELP!
I have been in a beginner swim class. For the past couple of weeks. That's good. But the last few times I have swam my right foot cramps near the end of my swimming. Yes I am tired. Usually I have my sports drink and am drinking it. So I am not dehydrated.

We were working on kicking tonight and I had to stop it tensed up and cramped real bad.

Any ideas?

Laura
2008-02-26 11:30 PM
in reply to: #1238013

User image

Master

shanaspree - 2008-02-26 10:30 PM Ok swimmers, HELP! I have been in a beginner swim class. For the past couple of weeks. That's good. But the last few times I have swam my right foot cramps near the end of my swimming. Yes I am tired. Usually I have my sports drink and am drinking it. So I am not dehydrated. We were working on kicking tonight and I had to stop it tensed up and cramped real bad. Any ideas? Laura

Laura,

You have picked a very challenging sport!!!!  If you have been away from physical activity for a sustained amount of time, think about how long you were away.....  Expecting to jump in and be able to swim 1000 meters is unrealistic.  You were away a long time, it will take a while to get back into things.  Hydration was most likely not the issue, it could be a form issue, but most likely it is simply rebuilding your body to be able to sustain extended effort.  Muscle, ligament, bone, mitochondria, cellular respiration....  Your body was telling you to slow down.   Don't build up too fast.  When you run and you get a stitch in your side,  you need more oxygen.  Slow down, work on breathing from the diaphram.  Same thing with a cramp, slow down.  Put in the time (slowly), and the endurance will come.  You can't expect overnight miracles.  BTW- These are things I tell myself every day.  I'm not just saying this to you, it is a reminder to me too.

I hope this helps a little.  Best of luck to you, and keep putting in the time.  It will pay off.

Bennet

2008-02-27 7:48 AM

User image

Indianapolis, Indiana
Hey guys!!!! I read all the threads but rarely reply. Keep up the good work!!!

I decided to join the YMCA Triathlon training team. It is run by some great coaches and has every level. It also includes the top masters swim team in the area so I look forward to improving tremendously this year.

After a 5 am bike I attended the Tri Core class. Involves a little yoga, some stretching, work on core machines and even a little balance ball work. I discovered all my weaknesses.

In addition I attended the monthly meeting last night on the Circle City tri club. We discussed Pilates and its benefits to triathletes. After a 10 discussion on the technique problems have a weak core creates ( I had a check mark by all of them by the way) the speaking demonstraed some great excercise to bring balance and reduce injury.

Now I re-energized !!!!!!!

See you on the circuit

2008-02-27 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1235613

User image

Expert
triOK - 2008-02-26 8:38 AM

So we have a BQer amoungst us!  Impressive!  Way to go!

So for the taper question... taper is just a period of time before your "A" race that you back off on the intensity, take time to rest up, and rejuvenate yourself to get ready to give it your all.  The length of your taper depends on the distance of the race and how physically fit you are.  For someone that is training 10-14 hours a week for Ironman doesn't really need to taper that much for a sprint (if even at all), but for most everyone a race does require a little bit of rest time beforehand in order to race at your best.  Its *really* hard for me to spit out a taper time that would work for everyone.  For your first sprint I would take an easy week leading up to the race, no intensity workouts, and go a little lighter on the volume.  Take the day before off and use it to make sure that you have everything lined up.... or maybe practice your transitions that day. 

Things I would suggest NOT doing before the race

1.  Freak out.

2.  Freak out and cancel the race.

3.  A hard workout

4.  Buy new race gear

5.  Eat fried chicken

6.  Eat spicy food

7.  Injure yourself falling of your bike

8.  Freak out.

9.  Get a massage

10.  Run a marathon (or any other race)

I am sure there are many more that I am forgetting, but I will let you know as they come up.

The main thing you want to remember is that you want to be rested for your race.  Some people start to feel guilty when they don't work out, but you are honestly doing yourself more harm than good at that point.  You will have put in the time up to the race to be able to do well, so rest up so that you can be at your best.

I would also like to suggest "doin it" if it is at all possible

2008-02-27 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1238013

User image

shanaspree - 2008-02-26 10:30 PM Ok swimmers, HELP! I have been in a beginner swim class. For the past couple of weeks. That's good. But the last few times I have swam my right foot cramps near the end of my swimming. Yes I am tired. Usually I have my sports drink and am drinking it. So I am not dehydrated. We were working on kicking tonight and I had to stop it tensed up and cramped real bad. Any ideas? Laura

Acutally, Laura, I get the same thing and I don't think it has anything to do with endurance.  I *think* I point my toes a little bit when I swim and I get really bad cramps in my feet.  I have found that stretching a bit tends to help.

I don't know what causes it, but its not hydration and its not endurance.  I am thinking it might be flexibility.  Stretch your foot in between sets and see if that helps...

2008-02-27 12:19 PM

Veteran
ah HA! So when swimming youre not supposed to point your toes at all. The kick is like a chain reaction if you will. You move your upper leg which causes your knee to bend which causes your ankle to bend. The resistance of the water will be felt on the top of the foot on a down kick which will cause your ankle to stretch this "pointing" your toes, however you do not want to do this purposefully! Any flexing of muscles not related to moving your legs up and down, or your arms with the reach and pull is on a basic note, bad. Stay really relaxed. Your kick is to propel, your arms are to pull. There's no tremendous straining that should be happening. For cramps, youre most likely tensing up. All my adults in my classes do that so youre not alone. The one thing you might feel is over-use joint or tendon pain. I have a tendon pain in my foot because since im relaxed in the water, all the tiny little tendons are being manipulated by the water moving against my foot. This would be just behind your toes. Treat your feet like flippers and your arms like paddles.

Sorry for grammar errors i typed this in a rush! I hope this helps!

Sarah
2008-02-27 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1239058

User image

Essentially, yes.  Kick and pull... but its still not that simple.  Your forward momentum should ULTIMATELY come from your hip rotation and your pull.  I hardly kick at all.  (But I am a slow swimmer ).  Most of the power should come from your lats and shoulders and not your kick.  Relax your legs and feet, and use your arms to pull you through the water.

Edited by triOK 2008-02-27 1:59 PM
2008-02-27 4:24 PM

Veteran
Thanks Queen Robyn of Tri. so cool...swimming is so technical! I'm going to masters swimming tonight for the first time! Anyone else add anything?

Sarah

2008-02-27 4:24 PM

Veteran
By the way, its nice to have you back and active here!!! I hope everything is going well!
2008-02-27 5:06 PM
in reply to: #1238087

User image

Master
Aviator1596 - 2008-02-26 11:30 PM

Laura,

You have picked a very challenging sport!!!!  If you have been away from physical activity for a sustained amount of time, think about how long you were away.....  Expecting to jump in and be able to swim 1000 meters is unrealistic.  You were away a long time, it will take a while to get back into things.  Hydration was most likely not the issue, it could be a form issue, but most likely it is simply rebuilding your body to be able to sustain extended effort.  Muscle, ligament, bone, mitochondria, cellular respiration....  Your body was telling you to slow down.   Don't build up too fast.  When you run and you get a stitch in your side,  you need more oxygen.  Slow down, work on breathing from the diaphram.  Same thing with a cramp, slow down.  Put in the time (slowly), and the endurance will come.  You can't expect overnight miracles.  BTW- These are things I tell myself every day.  I'm not just saying this to you, it is a reminder to me too.

I hope this helps a little.  Best of luck to you, and keep putting in the time.  It will pay off.

Bennet

Updated......

2008-02-27 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1239847

User image

Expert
I love how you all just gloss over my inappropriate postings with technical tri stuff. Your so serious!!!!
2008-02-27 6:26 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I haven't posted in a few days, but have been reading all the posts.  I'm on the upside of recovering from a long-lasting, very stubborn head cold so my Training Log has been ultra boring.

A big shout out and congrats to Jay for his marathon.  Running a marathon is like - well, running a marathon for many of us and I'm in awe.

Wow, Les.  You're up March 29th, eh?  Hopefully, with this being your second season, the familiarity of how these events work will be your friend.

Cheers, everyone!

2008-02-27 7:53 PM
in reply to: #1239970

User image

gator22 - 2008-02-27 6:18 PM I love how you all just gloss over my inappropriate postings with technical tri stuff. Your so serious!!!!

Aeroboobs, T.I.T.S, mandex (men in spandex ), and underwear 5ks.  There, is that better?

2008-02-27 8:04 PM

User image

Has anyone been keeping up with what is going on in the Tri Talk forum?  I was wondering if anyone has ever posted a question here on BT and felt like you were attacked or belittled in anyway?  Is anyone is this group intimidated by the people here?  Do you feel like you can rely on the information you get from this site?

I have been a BTer for 2 years and its hard for me to remember the responses I got on my first few posts.  I posted some off topic opinions in COJ a few times and got reemed for them and I STILL can't stand the people that I interacted with on those exchanges.  But the cool thing about an internet forum is you can completely ignore the people you don't like.

2008-02-27 8:29 PM
in reply to: #1240143

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
triOK - 2008-02-27 8:04 PM

Has anyone been keeping up with what is going on in the Tri Talk forum?  I was wondering if anyone has ever posted a question here on BT and felt like you were attacked or belittled in anyway?  Is anyone is this group intimidated by the people here?  Do you feel like you can rely on the information you get from this site?

I have been a BTer for 2 years and its hard for me to remember the responses I got on my first few posts.  I posted some off topic opinions in COJ a few times and got reemed for them and I STILL can't stand the people that I interacted with on those exchanges.  But the cool thing about an internet forum is you can completely ignore the people you don't like.

I have had no problems here...BUT...I am a member of a few other forums ( Not tri related) and this place is like "super nice" compared to some of them...so I have pretty thick skin. Some one may have flamed me,  I didn't even notice.

And tell me who was mean to you in COJ, if they were guys, I will be the big brother and beat them up for you!Yell

Laughing

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-02-27 9:03 PM
2008-02-28 12:40 AM

User image

Denver,CO
Thanks everyone for the postings.

I took today as a rest day. My foot now feels better.

I am only trying to swim 350 yds at a time. I will concentrate on if I am pointing my toes or not. Since it is the end of my swim maybe I am getting tired and sloppy and tensing.
Lots to try and remember in the beg. before it becomes second nature.

I will be back in the pool on friday. I will keep you posted,

Laura
2008-02-28 6:32 AM
in reply to: #1239981

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
lkagop - 2008-02-27 6:26 PM

Wow, Les. You're up March 29th, eh? Hopefully, with this being your second season, the familiarity of how these events work will be your friend.

Cheers, everyone!

/QUOTE]

Thanks, Lora 

I hope it will be my friend too.  I've just done two: one mini and the Danskin, Austin so I'm thinking that this is really my first "season" Last year was my "pre-season".  Danskin has opened registration for Austin, Denver, Chicagoland and New England. It looks like Seattle is closed like Orlando.  LA and New York are apparently opening soon. 

Have a great training day!

Les 

2008-02-28 7:55 AM
in reply to: #1240217

User image

ditchdoc - 2008-02-27 8:29 PM
triOK - 2008-02-27 8:04 PM

I have had no problems here...BUT...I am a member of a few other forums ( Not tri related) and this place is like "super nice" compared to some of them...so I have pretty thick skin. Some one may have flamed me,  I didn't even notice.

And tell me who was mean to you in COJ, if they were guys, I will be the big brother and beat them up for you!Yell

Laughing

Yeah, compared to Slowtwitch, the OTHER triathlon forum, this place is so squishy nice.  This is a beginner's forum where beginners from all walks of life should come to get answers to ANY question they may have.  But as a beginner, and a super-noob to this site, some don't realize that certain questions on this site are HUGELY debated.  There are some people here that truly are jerks, and there are some people here that are highly trained/educated that will call someone out if they post mis-information.  The one person in particular that I am talking about loves to help newbies, but I think is often times misunderstood as a jerk.  He is just direct; his philosophy and approach to most newbie questions is if you want to get better at something, then do it a lot.  And who wouldn't agree with that?  Most beginners will benefit the most from getting out the door and doing.... whatever.  Technique, form, power, speed, etc comes later.

What do you think, my peeps?

2008-02-28 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1240143

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Hey, Robyn.  I have done some other posts recently.  I asked questions about buying a HRM, another question regarding buying bikes and a couple other things - I can't remember.  I thought everyone was very helpful and I didn't feel belittled or intimidated at all.

Having said this, I haven't posted anyting in CoJ, though, 'cause people tend to be really rude and - frankly - I'm on here for tri stuff.

2008-02-28 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
I have pretty much only posted here and the athena board... so I have had nothing but kind and wonderful peeps. I was very anxious about joining a mentoring group as I thought I would not fit in... which is far from the truth.

So... so far so good... not sure which board you are talking about.

Elizabeth
going in late so I can workout
2008-02-28 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
I have had great luck on this site and slowtwitch, but I do make sure I search the forums before posting a question. I understand if people keep posting the exact same question regulars will get frustrated. Sometimes its fun to get the people that are WAY to serious alittle riled up! LOL
2008-02-28 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
I have a nutrition question. I know my eating needs to be cleaned up and for the most part I know what needs to be done... it is a matter of doing it. What I don't know is when I need nutrients when training. Today I ran for 45+ minutes and was fine... of course it will be getting hotter soon. I have never tried goo, gatorade, bars, etc. Can someone tell me when I need some nutrition during training (I would assume if I do a brick in the hot sun) and if so what type and rule of thumb for how much? I want to start trying to go over a 10 mile bike ride and over a 3 mile run and throw in a 3 hour hike here and there. My guess is that I overeat on days I heavily train because I get so damn hungry afterwards because I am under fueled before and during.

Thanks,
Elizabeth
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52