BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-03-01 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED

Had a weird run today - was very sluggish to start out with - probably becasue I did a late brick last night and was at the gym at 5am to do my hour run - but once I warmed up I felt great.  I was doign a 1:00 hour run at Z2 and was flying without going into Z3.  I have been steadily increasing my speed from 9:30/mile to today 8:34/mile.

My question I think is more for Brian - Did you notice during your actual IM race that your HR stayed pretty true to your training HR?  I am curious how my running HR will be after 8 hours.  I plan to stay Z2 for almost all of the race so I will not be pushing it hard on the bike but am curious what I can expect my HR to be on the run.  

I have a couple 5 hour bikes with 1 hour run scheduled so I will get a good idea of where I stand but you can never fully simulate the actual race.

2012-03-01 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4074979

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team. Hope everyone had a great day.

Tim - I think you are doing a great job - looking forward to Brian's answer.

Any band gigs this weekend?

tmoran80 - 2012-03-01 11:30 AM

Had a weird run today - was very sluggish to start out with - probably becasue I did a late brick last night and was at the gym at 5am to do my hour run - but once I warmed up I felt great.  I was doign a 1:00 hour run at Z2 and was flying without going into Z3.  I have been steadily increasing my speed from 9:30/mile to today 8:34/mile.

My question I think is more for Brian - Did you notice during your actual IM race that your HR stayed pretty true to your training HR?  I am curious how my running HR will be after 8 hours.  I plan to stay Z2 for almost all of the race so I will not be pushing it hard on the bike but am curious what I can expect my HR to be on the run.  

I have a couple 5 hour bikes with 1 hour run scheduled so I will get a good idea of where I stand but you can never fully simulate the actual race.

2012-03-01 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Hello team!

Tim- Nice work on the training!  thanks for the inspire the other day too!

KC- Of course, I can give you advice when needed for injuries! 

This week has been tough in terms of life balance, but I have been working everything in.  Looking forward to some much needed sleep this weekend.  My work schedule is super hectic tomorrow, so I ended up moving my bike workout to tonight instead of tomorrow AM (need to teach a class for a coworker now instead).  I have been very impressed with my little improvements already in training.  Today, I did flip turns for the last 3x100 (when there were only two of us left in the lane).  I was super excited, although they were ugly, uncoordinated, and slow- I still did them...so I think that is half the battle!  I am planning on going again tomorrow morning. 

I bit the bullet and signed up for the Milwaukee Lakefront marathon in October.  They are having a challenge between the school I work at and the school I am attending for my doctorate (also my alma mater from undergrad) since the course runs through both campuses.  I caved on account that it's all I have been hearing about, I know I would regret not doing it...I'm only running for fun, no real expectations for this since it is only a month after IMWI.

2012-03-02 4:05 AM

User image

Veteran

I have been away from here because I was in hospital on Monday.  Infection in my lower abdomen.  No running /biking for 2 weeks.  BLAH!

Heading to Little Rock for work this morning.  Producing start/finish line at LR Marathon.

Tim - I saw your question, will answer fully next week when have time.

Have a good weekend everyone.

2012-03-02 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4076452

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Brian - what the hell happened? That sucks you can't run or bike - be careful and have a good weekend.

KC

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-03-02 5:05 AM

I have been away from here because I was in hospital on Monday.  Infection in my lower abdomen.  No running /biking for 2 weeks.  BLAH!

Heading to Little Rock for work this morning.  Producing start/finish line at LR Marathon.

2012-03-02 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4076452

User image

Expert

Wow!  Hope everything is ok.  Is that why you have been feeling crappy lately or is this something that just came up?

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-03-02 4:05 AM

2012-03-03 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4077107

User image

Veteran
tmoran80 - 2012-03-02 11:59 AM

Wow!  Hope everything is ok.  Is that why you have been feeling crappy lately or is this something that just came up?

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-03-02 4:05 AM

It may be connected to that, I will have to see.  I had a hernia surgery 4 years ago.  That same spot had nagging sharp pains for the last few weeks.  FInally on Monday it led to severe pains in my entire abdomin.  I went to doctor, then ER to find out it was a inflamation and infection of some plumbing near where the hernia surgery was.  Doc said no run/bike for 2 weeks.  Feeling much stronger now, wven with all the lifting and work of putting on this weekend's event. 

5k and kids fun run down.  10k, half, and marathon tomorrow morning.

2012-03-03 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran

I just looked at my log from IM last August.  I averaged 142 for the entire race with a high of 156.  I really took the run comfortably.  I ran for 1 mile, then ate. drank for the duration of every food stop, at each mile marker.  It was sure not the fastest, nor did I care.  I really did not even notice my HR until I was checking it the next day.  I ran in a way that was comfortable without concern of my HR or my speed.  Looking back I know that I lost almost 20 mins on th run because I was taking things slowly and cautiously.  If ever I was to get caught up in another IM, I would push the run harder.

2012-03-03 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Hello Team!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  I sleep in this morning- it was AMAZING.  I guess I didn't realize how exhausted I have been all week!  I was supposed to run 5 miles and ride for 2 hours today...ended up getting the run in but pushed my ride to tomorrow afternoon so I could spend the evening with my family, who I haven't seen in awhile. Totally worth it, we had a great night.

Brian- I hope you have a speedy recovery! 

2012-03-04 6:39 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I just got home from what will probably be my last curling bonspiel this winter. Had a great weekend, lots of fun even though my team lost in extra ends today.

Tired and hitting the wrapper early tonight.

KC

2012-03-05 7:27 AM

User image

Expert

So David - Do you eat at the Domino's in Findlay, OH that invented those bites that they show on the commercial-haha

Week 3 is in the books.  Rest day today.  I used my Adamo Century saddle for the first time on Saturday.  Felt good but have to get used to the wider seat.  Felt like I had some friction on the inside of my thighs. Also leg muscles were a little sore.  probably because my adjustment was off a bit.

Fairly tired and sore today after long run and lifting last night.  Definitely could use this rest day.

First big time test this weekend as we are playing at Joe's on Weed street again (best venue in Chicago) and it consumes a lot of my time.  Gonna have to squeeze a long ride in early saturday and then see what condition I am in for a long run on Sunday-haha

Hope everyone has a great week!

2012-03-05 12:52 PM

User image

SE North Carolina
was able to get 9 mile run in yesterday, in the rain of course and another 5 mile run in the morning. I have the first race of the year coming up this saturday, a mini sprint, 300 in the pool, 10 on the bike and finish up with a 5k, should be fun... 
2012-03-05 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4074026

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
tmoran80 - 2012-02-29 9:19 PM

Is the swim start far away from T1?  The Racine 70.3 is literally as 1.2 mile walk from T1 so its a straight swim back.  What do you do just swim 2.4 miles straight down the river?

kcgolf - 2012-02-29 5:25 PM

Hey Team.

Interesting news today from IronMan.

The Ironman
U.S. Championship Will Be Wetsuit-Legal for Age Group Athletes

The swim for the
Ironman U.S. Championship will be wetsuit-legal for age group athletes.
Race morning transportation logistics will not allow for a race day
decision regarding wetsuit use according to temperature.
Additionally,
water temperature in the Hudson River fluctuates considerably according to the
tides. Water temperature for race day in 2012 is expected to be between 74 and
78 F. For these reasons, and to allow athletes to better prepare for the race
with minimal hassles on race morning, WTC has deemed that the Ironman U.S.
Championship is wetsuit-legal.

You don't swim "straight" as you have to avoid the bodied (dead) and needles floating! lol

2012-03-05 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Tim if you can run the entire race the last thing you will worry about is your HR! lol  To be honest a hr monitor on the run is overkill for about 99% of the field.  I use them on the bike to keep for going too hard regardless of power, but take it off on the run. 

Edited by razorxp 2012-03-05 1:20 PM
2012-03-05 5:14 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Tim - keep the feedback coming on the sadle - will probably get one when the new bike arrives.

Mandown - nice running my friend, have a great min-tri this weekend.

Coach - I don't swim very straight anyway, I just hope I don't keep going left and come out of the water at Hell's Kitchen Yell or swim right by T1 and bump into Ellis Island Cry

Good swim and run for me today - feeling ok but tired - hoping I find one of those days that allows for for two naps soon Coach.

KC

2012-03-05 9:53 PM

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi folks,

Had another crazy cold run today (especially for March - temp was -13 C (6F), but the windchill was -19 C (-2 F)).  My legs felt really heavy and I was slow - but my pace was affected by the icy patches (where I walked veerryy slowly and carefully).  I was also over-dressed, which I hate, because you just end up feeling cold. 

I also got some "bike" time in on Saturday (at a spin class - I definitely do not bike outside when there is ice on the ground) and had a softball double-header yesterday. Spring is supposed to arrive next week (sorta) and I'm kind of looking forward to not having to wear 3 or 4 layers to step out for a run.. of course, I'm also within 800 points of the top ten in the Crappy Weather Challenge, so if it can stay cold for a few more days, I might make it.. Undecided

Happy Monday!

2012-03-06 5:30 AM

User image

Veteran

Thanks for the well wishes.  I have been without workouts for 9 days now.  On meds for 7.  i feel completely healthy and strong - ready to get out and start running again.

I was overwhelmed with jealousy at the 12,000 runners I watched cross the finish line this weekend in Little Rock.  I am going to have to get used to that.  Almost 20,000 in Atlanta next weekend.  Working the start and finish lines at the race was fun - I loved watching the joy on everyone's face as they crossed and celebrated.  Even saw 1 guy propose at the finish line after he and his girlfriend finished the marathon together.

Start running Monday, but will get in 2 swims before then.

2012-03-06 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I quit my job.  :D  Took the buyout.  Getting things together to look for a job to tide me over until social security in 18 months.  All good.  Just weird not having a place to go every M-F.  Going to start my International Triathlete Coaching Asso course this week.  They do it all online.  Not as prestigious as USAT but I can't afford the plane fare or hotel to do theirs in person right now.  USAT recognizes ITCA for continuing ed so more people will be getting both, I'm sure.  I plan to.

Training is good.  Bike, starting the build phase.  Going to get harsher now.  Tested my FTP at 297.  Peak last season was 319.  On track to match that by the A race.

Swimming - took a couple of semi private lessons with a tri coach.  He really got me rolling side to side.  Times are down, efficiency is up.

Running - run club started on Wednesdays.  That will be my speed work for the week plus 2X for long slow run and a fast short run.

2012-03-06 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4081157

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
razorxp - 2012-03-05 1:19 PM

Tim if you can run the entire race the last thing you will worry about is your HR! lol  To be honest a hr monitor on the run is overkill for about 99% of the field.  I use them on the bike to keep for going too hard regardless of power, but take it off on the run. 

Amen and what Brian said too.   My coach had me get in tune with my RPE...old school but on long endurance races it is really what matters.   Have to stay out of the red zone on all three legs.  He had me look at things as a book of matches.  Every time I press, I burn a match.  When they are gone, I am on the side of the road in pain.  Easy does it.  Endurance Nation teaches to take the first 6 miles of the run "stupid easy."  If you think you are slow, go slower. Like Brian said, they want to make sure you get all the nutrition you need at every stop.  Look at the fuel stop as payment for a great mile behind you.  Coast a little, then start back up.  Negative splits then become possible.  I was actually faster on my last half of the marathon than the first by a few minutes.  

2012-03-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4082178

User image

Expert

Glad to hear you are feeling better.  

Skinny Arm Brian - 2012-03-06 5:30 AM

Thanks for the well wishes.  I have been without workouts for 9 days now.  On meds for 7.  i feel completely healthy and strong - ready to get out and start running again.

I was overwhelmed with jealousy at the 12,000 runners I watched cross the finish line this weekend in Little Rock.  I am going to have to get used to that.  Almost 20,000 in Atlanta next weekend.  Working the start and finish lines at the race was fun - I loved watching the joy on everyone's face as they crossed and celebrated.  Even saw 1 guy propose at the finish line after he and his girlfriend finished the marathon together.

Start running Monday, but will get in 2 swims before then.

2012-03-06 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4082378

User image

Expert

Thanks for the advice from everyone.  My  plan is to do exactly what Brian said and walk the rest stops. No way do I plan to run the complete marathon - I havn't been able to do that for a regular marathon so Ironman isn't the place to try and start -haha.

The reason I asked about the HR was because this Fink plan is all HR based and I am just curious how my HR will react after 10-12 hours of aerobic activity.  I remember Brian made the comment on his race report about his marathon pace being exactly what he trained for.  I think I am going to try and use the HR monitor for both the Bike and Run as that is what I will training with every day.  Just afraid of pushing the run too hard if I use RPE.  I love the match analogy!  Gonna have to remember that.

Overall I am extremely happy with this plan I am using - I feel like I really getting into a groove.  This is the most training I have ever done consistently.  Funny though - just like clock work I hit 20 miles/week running and I started up with the heart palpitations or PVC's again.  I have done so much testing that I know everything is ok and doctors have told me it is just how much it annoys me but it just gets into the back of my head especially as I  am laying in bed and that is when it is the worst.  I seem to remember that training for 2009 Chicago Marathon I trained through it and it got better.  I think I am gonna start logging how bad they are on level 1-10 so I can look back and see if they are getting worse or better.

IceManScott - 2012-03-06 8:00 AM
razorxp - 2012-03-05 1:19 PM

Amen and what Brian said too.   My coach had me get in tune with my RPE...old school but on long endurance races it is really what matters.   Have to stay out of the red zone on all three legs.  He had me look at things as a book of matches.  Every time I press, I burn a match.  When they are gone, I am on the side of the road in pain.  Easy does it.  Endurance Nation teaches to take the first 6 miles of the run "stupid easy."  If you think you are slow, go slower. Like Brian said, they want to make sure you get all the nutrition you need at every stop.  Look at the fuel stop as payment for a great mile behind you.  Coast a little, then start back up.  Negative splits then become possible.  I was actually faster on my last half of the marathon than the first by a few minutes.  

Edited by tmoran80 2012-03-06 9:58 AM

2012-03-06 9:20 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Evening Team.

I hope everyone is having a great week so far.

Tim - I am going to be using the HR Monitor for both as well. As you may remember, I have a bicuspid aortic valve that may (in the very very distant future in my ripe old age) need replacement so my doc thinks it is a good idea for me to be able to have an accurate reading and understanding of what the ticker is doing. I am actually scheduled to see my heart specialist in June for another ultra sound a year into all of this stuff to see if there is any thickening etc. My Family Doc says I am fine but they both agree I need to be seeing my heart guy every year from now on.

Week 6 and all is well.

Enjoy the rest of the week team.

KC 

Edited by kcgolf 2012-03-07 6:46 AM
2012-03-07 4:08 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team - how is everyone?

How is everyone's schedule shaping up for the season?

Great day here in Southwestern Ontario today. Warm and very windy.

I stopped in at my LBS today to see where my Shiv is and it is going to be another month before it arrives - that has me a bit depressed to be totally honest Frown. However, looking at the bright side, it does give me another month to scrape some more cash together to pay for it and add some goodies Laughing.

Just a swim tonight.

KC

2012-03-07 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Hello team!  Warm windy weather here in Wisconsin too!  Yesterday I think I made record time getting home from class so that I could get out on the road with the bike.  It was incredible.  Even with the wind, I was doing hill repeats on my hill I trained on last year and realized I need to find a new hill...that one isn't challenging enough anymore!  So as much as I curse at it, the riding on the trainer has helped!

This morning I got out for a long run, felt great!  It was 65 degrees here today, and I was so happy to get out on the road.  I can't wait for warmer weather and the end of the semester.

I hope everyone else's training is going well!!

Jenny

2012-03-08 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
ll going well here.  Losing weight on Paleo.  Down 14 since 1/1.  Semi private swim lessons are paying off with Masters help.  Bike is going good. Last FTP test was down about 6% from IM peak.  Run has been really good.  Last night I was blazing compared to last spring.  Thinking the strength work with k bells is paying off.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43