General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-03-01 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4642207

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group
leatherneckpa - 2013-03-01 12:08 PM

Well, I just got back from the ER and White Lake is now off the list.  Seems I have gallstones and will be having surgery within the next week or two to remove my gallbladder.  So unless I find a suitable sprint in May, it appears that my first race this year will be the Topeka Tinman in June, long course.

Bummer, 'cause my new bike is supposed to be ready for pick-up this weekend too.

that sucks.  yeah I found out I have them but I do not have to have the bladder removed thank god.  recover fast.

2013-03-01 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4642207

User image

Yardville, NJ
leatherneckpa - 2013-03-01 1:08 PM

Well, I just got back from the ER and White Lake is now off the list.  Seems I have gallstones and will be having surgery within the next week or two to remove my gallbladder.  So unless I find a suitable sprint in May, it appears that my first race this year will be the Topeka Tinman in June, long course.

Bummer, 'cause my new bike is supposed to be ready for pick-up this weekend too.

That is a bummer! I wish you the best of luck for a speedy recovery.
2013-03-05 5:52 PM
in reply to: #4306637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Pre-op on Friday.  Surgery Monday.  No work for 7-10 days after that.  And yes, White Lake is definitely canceled.
2013-03-06 6:14 AM
in reply to: #4647803

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

leatherneckpa - 2013-03-05 6:52 PM Pre-op on Friday.  Surgery Monday.  No work for 7-10 days after that.  And yes, White Lake is definitely canceled.

Sorry to hear that you need surgery and that you won't be able to race White Lake but am sure you will be feeling so much better once you are through with the surgery.  Listen to your doctor and you will be back better than ever with a long list of future races!  

2013-03-06 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4648209

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Fechter99 - 2013-03-06 7:14 AM  Listen to your doctor and you will be back better than ever with a long list of future races!  

Here's hoping!  Today was horrible.  If I wasn't in pain I was experiencing severe nausea.  Often times both at the same time.  The doctor wanted to operate Friday.  I insisted on finishing the week with my students.  That may have been a mistake.  But it's a done deal now.  Gotta tough it out until Monday.

2013-03-07 5:32 AM
in reply to: #4649280

Regular
New York

Leather go get fixed up and heal up quick!!!

I need you out there training again so you can push me!!!  Laughing

God bless!!

2013-03-08 6:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Surgery scheduled for 0830 Monday.

Was at the LBS today and the new bike was in the rack, sans wheels.  He's building the wheels tonight and it might be fully assembled tomorrow.  I might even get to ride it this weekend, before the surgery.  I guess the "raw aluminum" doesn't look all that ugly.

Picked up the wife's town bike while I was there.  I bought her a new C'dale Adventure (white with green accents) for this year.  She absolutely fell in love with it on the test ride.  Her old bike was a 2000 Fuji mountain bike.  She says there is NO COMPARISON in smoothness and comfort.

2013-03-10 10:05 AM

FWIW I dig the raw aluminum. I came close to buying that bike myself. But the last year's model Felt was a better value.

Sorry to hear you have to have surgery. Good luck tomorrow, and keep us updated. Get better soon so we can hear about your adventures on your new shiny bike.

And speaking of new bikes, I finally got mine off of the trainer and onto the road yesterday for the first time ever. The weather was sunny and beautiful, so I rode with a buddy from his house, down along the lake, a made a loop back. There were a couple of nice hills that made for tough climbs, but a fast descent. In all I did 30 miles. My time and speed were not as fast as I was hoping (15mph/2hr), but I have a lot of time to improve that. I really like the bike and can't wait for my undercarriage to heal so I can ride it again.

Have a great rest of the weekend all!
2013-03-11 4:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Nice little ride DBG.  I hope my first of the season goes that well.

Off to the "butcher shop" for this gall bladder removal.  I'm going to tell the doctor that while he's in there, if he happens to see about 40 lbs of unnecessary belly-fat that he has my permission.request to cut that out too.  Think he'll "help a fella out"?

2013-03-11 6:31 AM
in reply to: #4652695

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Leatherneck, good luck with your surgery this morning. Hope you have an easy recovery and get back out there training and enjoying your new bike very soon.
2013-03-11 6:31 AM
in reply to: #4652695

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Leatherneck, good luck with your surgery this morning. Hope you have an easy recovery and get back out there training and enjoying your new bike very soon.

2013-03-11 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Okay. I am home. It’s no wonder I was in pain for the last week and a half. My gall-bladder was enflamed to over twice it’s normal size. Getting it free was no big deal, but he couldn’t remove it out the normal sized hole. Had to make a larger incision. Now I have three pain sites instead of just one, but all totaled they only come up to about the pain I was living with before.

You know, just ONCE I'd like to do something the "normal" way.  And of course, he didn't take any of that 40 lbs out either.

2013-03-11 9:52 PM

Glad to hear it went well and that you are home already.  Just think, your pain should be improving from here on out!  Take it easy and get well soon.

Today was swim and run workouts.  I jumped into a lunchtime swim class at the gym, similar to masters.  There were a wide range of abilities, and I got put into the "big dog" lane. It probably would have been better for my ego to be put into the next ability level lane, but I was a closer in ability and endurance to the "big dog' swimmers  than I was that lane...until it was time to do the IM. I can B.S. my way through the breast and back strokes, but the butterfly, well, there was no faking that I had never even attempted it before. I was pathetic!  I think the stroke I was doing was the "confused whale."  The instructor worked with me a bit, but I have a long way to go before I can even B.S. a fly.  On the plus side, I didn't have to stop and drink any water, I drank enough doing the fly.  It was an exhausting workout, but now I am motivated to learn the other strokes as well.

A quick 30 minute run with the dogs after work.  I was cursing daylight savings this morning, but loving it this evening.  Another warm (relative term) sunny day that I got to enjoy!

Hope everybody has a good week!

2013-03-12 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4655998

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Sweet!  I haven't even tried to fly since, oh, maybe 1980 when I left the college swim team.  Pretty sure I'd do a good imitation of Shamu as well.  Between that bronchitis thing and the gall-bladder I haven't even been in the gym in a month.  But the pain is significantly less this morning, when I'm awake.

I was hoping for a nice weekend and my new bike, but doesn't look like the weather will cooperate.  But as you said DST will be a blessing when I can start training again.  It's gonna blow people's minds when I start riding my bicycle to my Wednesday night Weight Watchers meeting next week.  It's the only way I can fit in a workout on Wednesdays.

2013-03-19 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

My triathlon season has just been shot to shreds. I had been feeling VERY confident for all three planned races this year, was even considering a fourth in late October at Blueman again. Then I lost almost a month of training with that cough/bronchitis I couldn't shake. Just as I was resuming training (and believed I could still make all three races) my gall bladder betrayed me. Now, two weeks and one surgery after the initial attack, I am told I will miss another 3-4 weeks of training because recovery from this is not just a matter of not having pain anymore. I have been ORDERED not to exceed a 5 minute walk for this week, maybe 10-15 next week, and I won't be walking a mile for as much as another week after that. No jogging for at least a month or I will probably end up herniating. At this rate, instead of a sprint, an Olympic, and a half-Iron distance race I'll be lucky to get in a sprint and an Olympic before the end of the season. I am so BUMMED!

2013-03-19 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4666637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
leatherneckpa - 2013-03-19 5:03 PM

My triathlon season has just been shot to shreds. I had been feeling VERY confident for all three planned races this year, was even considering a fourth in late October at Blueman again. Then I lost almost a month of training with that cough/bronchitis I couldn't shake. Just as I was resuming training (and believed I could still make all three races) my gall bladder betrayed me. Now, two weeks and one surgery after the initial attack, I am told I will miss another 3-4 weeks of training because recovery from this is not just a matter of not having pain anymore. I have been ORDERED not to exceed a 5 minute walk for this week, maybe 10-15 next week, and I won't be walking a mile for as much as another week after that. No jogging for at least a month or I will probably end up herniating. At this rate, instead of a sprint, an Olympic, and a half-Iron distance race I'll be lucky to get in a sprint and an Olympic before the end of the season. I am so BUMMED!

I am so sorry to read this.  I do know how disappointing it can be when our plans are so radically changed.  Just make sure that you do follow the doctor's orders and don't rush it.  You do have to let your body heal and once it does,  you will be amazed at how much better you are for doing it.  Are you allowed to bike and swim?  If so,  focus on those and even try deep water "running".  I did that when I was trying to recover from the shin splints, once I was off bed rest but not really allowed to walk/run.  You can get a great cardio workout and I had found lots of articles that talked about some serious athletes that used water running to train for even iron distance races while recovering from injuries.    Here's a link to a good video of the method.  Make sure to check with your doctor first to see if it is the motion of running or the impact of running that he is concerned with.    Hang in there!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrDMhxrzLuk

2013-03-20 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Tipping my hat to Ultramax for their speedy and satisfactory handling of my request.  I must say, for two requests that were only submitted via e-mail at 9pm last night that getting a response within 12 hours is amazing.

First, they immediately approved my request to switch from the long course to the short course for the June 15th TinMan triathlon in Topeka KS.

Second, they are processing a 50% refund for the registration fee for my pregnant daughter, who can no longer train for, or participate in, her short course race that day.

So the first piece of my 2013 season is now in place.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2013-03-20 10:25 AM
2013-03-20 10:51 AM

New user

Looks like I missed lots of activity over the last couple of weeks.

The last couple of weeks were terrible training wise for me, had issues with my back and was moving, so other than carrying boxes etc and normal walking, I've had no exercise. But my back seems to be back to normal (no pun intended) and the facilities at my new condo are great.

Got a swim in sunday night, monday I logged 30 minutes on the elliptical(nervous about the impact from running when I haven't done it in a couple of months, but I will slowly add it back in) and then last night I got a swim in. So three days in a row and some of the crazyness of work and moving are starting to let up and I feel like I am back on track!

130 days until my first tri (unless I schedule a prep race in)!

2013-03-29 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4667532

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Wow,  we've been quiet on here lately,  hope that means everyone is busy training.  Leatherneck,  how are you feeling?

Mike and I got some disappointing news yesterday - our super spring/first race of the season was cancelled by the organizers.  Good news is that we found a different race a couple weeks later that should be fun to do instead.  Mike is doing a sprint and I am doing the aquavelo.

I also signed up for a 1.2mile river swim on June 1.   This will be my longest open water swim but really glad that it is wet suit legal because the water will still be a bit cold.

I do have to say that I am proud (and a bit jealous) of the progress Mike has made on his swim and run in particular since those were his weaknesses.  I wish more and more that I was able to run since it would be so nice to go out and run with him.  I continue to plug away at trying to improve my swim times and getting faster on the bike.  I just wish it would warm up once and for all here in NJ so that we can get out on our bikes and out of the basement/off the trainer.

2013-03-30 5:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Randi, thanks for asking.  I've been taking it REAL easy this week.  Only three half mile walks.  Today I took "Silver" for his first ride, just 4.5 miles, around 20 minutes.  It is sad how much I have lost since the beginning of the year.  Tomorrow I will do a full mile walk and see if the gut tolerates that okay.

I have 77 days to get myself sprint ready for TinMan in KS.

2013-03-31 9:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Walked 3/4 mile with the wife today.  14m and change.  Felt good.  Only mildly sore. Best of all, I remembered to put my GT on, so I got baseline info for the upcoming season.

2013-03-31 9:55 PM

Glad to hear you're back at it leather.

Well, unfortunately my silence has been due to a lack of activity. I have had a tough time dedicating myself to training for the last two weeks. I've been scrambling to get projects buttoned up at work before I take time off for the new baby, and I have found myself working right through lunch most days. I did manage to get the bike outside a couple of times, and I have been loving it. We have had some warm weather, so I have been taking advantage of it. I did my 30-mile loop on the bike today for the first time on my road bike. I beat my best time by over 25 minutes, but it still wasn't as fast as i want to be (16mph).

I should be back to a normal schedule both at work and working out. Have a great week all!
2013-04-01 5:53 AM
in reply to: #4681240

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Nice job Leather.  Glad to hear you are back out there and starting to feel better.  Looking forward to hearing more about your training as you get back to it.

DB,  sorry to hear things have been so hectic, when's the new baby due?  Nice job on your bike ride!

2013-04-01 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

First full mile walk since the surgery at 21m 2s pace.  Would have been under 20m but I had to stop to talk to a neighbor who wanted to know how my training was going and how I made out at last year's Blueman.  No pain or discomfort, but I'm going to hold steady at 1 mile for the rest of this week.

The sad part is that at my size the 127 AHR ends up being an upper zone 3 workout.

2013-04-02 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4682270

New user

Good to see some posting going on again. Leather good to hear that you are recovering well. DB, good luck with work and the on the way baby, I can online imagine how hectic that must be... 25 minutes is a massive improvement!

I've been struggling with consistency (isn't that always the problem). Friday I got in an hour on the drainer (longest drainer ride, I've gone much longer on the stationary bike, but that is the longest to date on the drainer). The weekend was visiting family and that was a right off... this morning I got 30 minutes on the drainer, hoping to sneak in a swim buy I have a work function tonight so that could be tough...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45