BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-08-05 5:31 AM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED

Wow, such an eventful few days for everyone!

Beth, things just don't seem to be going right in your neck of the woods recently Surprised. I hope you both heal well and things settle down soon. Sounds like way too much of the wrong kind of excitement!

Dawn, trust in yourself to make it. You don't have to break the land speed record,all you need to do is get round,so just pace yourself and have fun. 

Noreen,congrats on the race and the great write up. Sounds like a good day out, and i love that your son ran with you at the end. Great to have the family support Laughing.

Todd, great pics, and I bet you're pretty darn proud of that medal. I certainly would be

2013-08-05 5:40 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

I had a pretty good day on Saturday for training, I ran another Parkrun 5km, and this time I really pushed it. I hit 30:00 exactly for the distance,  so I'm pretty pleased with myself. I've given myself 2 days off in celebration (the first day off was a necessity, I really hurt) and now I'm sitting on the sofa eating sugared and salted popcorn thinking just how tasty and so unhealthy it is.

I've also been indulging in one of my other hobbies, baking sourdough bread, so we've had a really nice loaf  for the family today and I've got a batch of sourdough pittas waiting to go into the oven in the morning. I'm telling myself the pittas will be healthy one I stuff them with felafel and salad.

2013-08-05 6:22 AM

, Alabama
Well done on your park run! That 30 minutes is a real goal isn't it? I seem to be around 32:30 at present and i once got it to 29.59 a few months ago so I am chasing that 30 again. Great work you deserve your rest day. Good to see I am not the only one who likes to bake on rest days, except I do horribly unhealthy things like chocolate fudge cake ;-)
2013-08-05 6:27 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

, Alabama
Great pics Todd, looks like a great day, and that is a really nice medal. You are a real inspiration to the rest of us turtles!
2013-08-05 8:11 AM
in reply to: NMS

Congrats all around - especially Beth, who is a hero in my book - and her son's as well, I bet.
2013-08-05 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Taringa

I had a pretty good day on Saturday for training, I ran another Parkrun 5km, and this time I really pushed it. I hit 30:00 exactly for the distance,  so I'm pretty pleased with myself. I've given myself 2 days off in celebration (the first day off was a necessity, I really hurt) and now I'm sitting on the sofa eating sugared and salted popcorn thinking just how tasty and so unhealthy it is.

I've also been indulging in one of my other hobbies, baking sourdough bread, so we've had a really nice loaf  for the family today and I've got a batch of sourdough pittas waiting to go into the oven in the morning. I'm telling myself the pittas will be healthy one I stuff them with felafel and salad.

I LOVE sourdough!!!! So yummy.

On a different note it's my birthday today so I'm celebrating by only doing a short workout and calling it a day. I'm now lounging on my favourite recliner eating animal crackers. I know they're suppose to be for kids but I still enjoy them.

Beth

2013-08-05 9:53 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

, Alabama
Happy Birthday Beth, enjoy you animal crackers!
2013-08-05 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Great Run!!! Way to set a goal and hit it, which seems to add a little something to an already great accomplishment. I only have one other thing to say / ask, Sugar on Popcorn. Is that an Australian thing?
2013-08-05 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hubbie

On a different note it's my birthday today so I'm celebrating by only doing a short workout and calling it a day. I'm now lounging on my favourite recliner eating animal crackers. I know they're suppose to be for kids but I still enjoy them.

Beth

Happy Birthday to you and congrats on taking some time for yourself today.

I love animal crackers as well (the real ones in the box that have been around for over 20 years), but what is up with having to pay over $2.00 for a box of them now a days. I grabbed a box on the way home from the race and had to pay $2.79. I'm not sure if you are talking about the same ones as me, but these are in the small colorful circus box with the thin white string handle.
2013-08-05 5:47 PM

This forum is lit up like a christmas tree. I love to see everybody's race reports and the pictures. I have mine this Sunday and Im already loosing sleep over it. One question for the more experts.... What do you need to compete in an Ironman 70.3 ? I was looking at the Syracuse but I cant tell if you can just pay the fee and get a slot or if you actually have to qualify via some other tri before.
2013-08-05 6:58 PM
in reply to: ibr80

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by ibr80

This forum is lit up like a christmas tree. I love to see everybody's race reports and the pictures. I have mine this Sunday and Im already loosing sleep over it. One question for the more experts.... What do you need to compete in an Ironman 70.3 ? I was looking at the Syracuse but I cant tell if you can just pay the fee and get a slot or if you actually have to qualify via some other tri before.

No need to qualify for a 70.3. You will need a decent bike, fitness, good shoes, and determination to get through the training and the race. That being said it can be done, if I can do it anyone can do it. You will need to sign up as early as possible since they do tend to fill up quickly and if you wait the price will go up too. If you do decide to go ahead with it we will be here answering your questions and cheering you on every step of the way.

Beth

2013-08-05 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Beth

Happy Birthday to you and congrats on taking some time for yourself today.

I love animal crackers as well (the real ones in the box that have been around for over 20 years), but what is up with having to pay over $2.00 for a box of them now a days. I grabbed a box on the way home from the race and had to pay $2.79. I'm not sure if you are talking about the same ones as me, but these are in the small colorful circus box with the thin white string handle.

Yup those are the ones. A friend got me a bag of them. She knows I have a weakness for them.

Sitting at work wondering what type of birthday pranks are going to be played on me tonight. Will have to be on my toes!

Beth
2013-08-05 9:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Happy birthday Beth! Sounds like an evening on the sofa with the animal crackers is just the ticket. I don't think we have that kind here in Australia but have ones very similar. Yum!

Todd-yes, yes, sugar on popcorn! With sugar and salt it's the best. Closely followed by caramel and toffee popcorn...mmm...

Noreen, you've put the idea into my head now. Think I might have to get ingredients from the shop for brownies.

I can tell when I've had an energetic workout by the amount of time I spend thinking about food and eating for about three days afterwards Smile.

Edited by Taringa 2013-08-05 10:01 PM
2013-08-06 7:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Issac, Beth already hit it on the head, you just need the necessary gear, training, fees, and time to complete one. Let me add two things, 1. Check in previous Race Groups for Syracuse and ensure if it sells out and / or when it usually sells out if it does (a lot of people train and say their going to wait to sign up and then they don't get in) 2. Review the race reports, race groups for any half you are thinking about doing. Some races might not be the best first Half for you personnally (hills, extreme heat / cold, hard swims, location, time of year, cost), but you can train for some of those.

For what it's worth, I did my reviews and chose Racine because of the following factors: Summer event - wife and daughter not in school, Challenging but not overly so course, cooler temps then at Buffalo Springs here in Texas (usually around 100 on race day), Vacation area for the family - North Beach & Chicago down the road, but probably the most important of all - DISTANCE. I knew that if I signed up for and planned an entire family vacation and trip around the event that it would limit my abilities / chances to back out. It also gave me time to train and have a goal that I was working towards. No way was I going to drive almost 20 hours, with family and friends knowing we were there for a race and then come back DNF or DNS.
2013-08-06 11:12 AM

Beth first off Happy Birthday.

2. How you do qualify ? That is what I don't understand, do you have to participate in smaller sprints or olympic distance type races ?.

Funny part is I haven't even done my first Tri until this coming Sunday and even that might rip me a new one and Im already getting ahead of myself.
Its just that after all my weight loss ( 145 lbs ), getting involved in Tri's has been the perfect thing for me to stick to a good healthy lifestyle and it
basically serves as my north star right now in terms of maintaining it. There is just something about the weight loss experience and then getting in shape again that makes be want to culminate it by doing something special and for some reason the half Irom man seams like something that would be
a highlight for me the rest of my life.

If I were to do something like a 70.3 It would really be just about finishing it and I know I can do the Swim and bike no matter how slow and I fell confident about it but the running is rather intimidating but I guess I can run/walk/run/walk.

So basically what would be my steps right now to do something like a 70.3.... ???

No need to qualify for a 70.3. You will need a decent bike, fitness, good shoes, and determination to get through the training and the race. That being said it can be done, if I can do it anyone can do it. You will need to sign up as early as possible since they do tend to fill up quickly and if you wait the price will go up too. If you do decide to go ahead with it we will be here answering your questions and cheering you on every step of the way.

Beth
2013-08-06 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

2. How you do qualify ? That is what I don't understand, do you have to participate in smaller sprints or olympic distance type races ?.

Funny part is I haven't even done my first Tri until this coming Sunday and even that might rip me a new one and Im already getting ahead of myself.
Its just that after all my weight loss ( 145 lbs ), getting involved in Tri's has been the perfect thing for me to stick to a good healthy lifestyle and it
basically serves as my north star right now in terms of maintaining it. There is just something about the weight loss experience and then getting in shape again that makes be want to culminate it by doing something special and for some reason the half Irom man seams like something that would be
a highlight for me the rest of my life.

If I were to do something like a 70.3 It would really be just about finishing it and I know I can do the Swim and bike no matter how slow and I fell confident about it but the running is rather intimidating but I guess I can run/walk/run/walk.

So basically what would be my steps right now to do something like a 70.3.... ???

There is no qualification, You just pay them $250.00 plus fees to do the 70.3. (the only execption to that is the 70.3 Championship, which you have to qualify for) Another words, you want to do Syracuse 70.3, 1. go to the Ironman website, 2. click on Syracuse 70.3, 3. Click Register (can't right now, but it will open soon - probably a few weeks), 4. Enter your information, 5. Pay them $250.00 +, 6. Get / Make a training plan and put in the work, 7. Show up and race.

The one thing I want to add is that your weight loss is a super huge accomplishment by itself and you don't have to do anything to further validate or confirm that accomplish. I understand what you are saying, but what you did in an of its self is freaking awesome and way more impressive in my eyes than the Half Ironman I just completed. Make goals and strive for them, but don't let it be how you are defined. Some people in your same shoes I think lose sight of that. They lose the weight, sign up for a sprint, then quickly a half, then a full, then Nothing. Like you have seen me post a ton of times, I want to make this a lifestyle not a hobbie.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-08-06 4:23 PM

2013-08-07 4:02 AM

, Alabama
Gorgeous day here today. I got up early and baked cupcakes, mini cakes and chocolate fudge cake :-). Off now for a cycle while the sun continues to shine, then home to sort out my son's room as he is home on Friday for R and R for three weeks - yippee! Then cinema this afternoon with my younger son, I love days when I don't have to go to work :-)
2013-08-07 5:58 AM

, Alabama
Today I made progress while cycling! I managed to let go of the handlebars long enough to wipe my nose on my glove without wobbling or falling off....

At this rate, who knows, I may be ready for big girl pedals before the end of the year
2013-08-07 1:31 PM

No swimming for me for a couple weeks - had a mole removed from my side, and I can't disturb the stitches. Other than that, I have to crank back up starting Monday - eight weeks to my second (and final) tri for the year.
2013-08-07 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by NMS

Today I made progress while cycling! I managed to let go of the handlebars long enough to wipe my nose on my glove without wobbling or falling off....

At this rate, who knows, I may be ready for big girl pedals before the end of the year

Great job!!! Biking skills like that are important. Not only do they enhance coordination but they are also the main building blocks for moving on to this line cleat pedals and using aero bars. Even if you decide not to go that far bike handling skills and balance are great skills to have. Again congratulations on reaching this milestone.

Beth
2013-08-07 3:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

Question time for all you turtles!

This subject has been tackled now and again on the open forums, but I thought I'd ask my mates....What are everyone's thoughts on training plans, planning, how to do it, how to stick to it, etc?

I've decided just recently that I should  try to be a bit structured; up until now I've written myself a swim/bike/run/strength pattern month by month but my workouts have been a bit impulsive. I've borrowed Joe Friel's Training Bible from the library (and ordered my own copy online), set myself an annual training plan, and I'm hoping to stick to it and see some results. His stuff does seem to make scientific/biological sense ( though I'm not convinced on the paleo diet part, I like my bread too much) and it all seems to be well thought-out. 

Anyone using his methods? Tips and tricks, pitfalls to avoid? 

I don’t use a stand-alone triathlon training plan because I may be training for a triathlon and a half marathon at the same time. The Tri training plan run potion would be too short.
Typically, I do one of two things. I use a tri training plan but substitute the run portion with a run training program that is suitable for the race I am doing. Or, I use 3 individual training programs (run, bike swim) training plans and plan them out based on my schedule. For strength training, its easier to just take bodypump at my gym and I try to fit that in at least 2x a week.

I am not training a for a tri right now, only a 5k and 10k. I merged 4 different run training programs together and track it on my android RunKeeper program. There program may say run 6 miles long run but no way am I jumping from 4.5 to 6 miles in a week so I do 5 miles instead. The program still counts it.

How do I plan my workouts? – around my family schedules. It is easier to get as much of it over at 5:30 in the morning to free up my evenings. When I have to switch to evenings in the school year, I plan my outdoor workouts near my kids activities. I would the weird mom running around the footbal field to get a 3 mile run in while theu practice. If its light out still, I take to the streets leave after the start of practice and come back 10 minutes before the end.

How do I stick to it? – Training partners! I would really be a lazy turtle if I didn’t have a partner. I have a truly consistent and reliable running buddy. We keep each other on task. I bike with another friend when I was biking and sometimes with a training group. Swimming was always a challenge which is why I join the pre-masters group. You pay, you will show up!

If I am going to be out of town, I check the neighborhood or make sure the hotel has a gym and pool. But sometimes family duties and family time together takes priority.

I am a turtle, slow and steady in all disciplines.

Edited by Lovey 2013-08-07 9:58 PM

2013-08-07 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

So my local running club hosts informal races through the year. There are 5 informal races over the summer, most with a long race and a short race.
Tonight we had a 10K and 2 miler. I decided to do the 2 miler and brought my boys! It was such a great run because we did it as a family. My 10 year old didn't even complain and I did expect him to.

I am a turtle, slow and steady in all disciplines.
2013-08-08 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4725832

Hey guys its Thursday and Tuesday late night was my lat workout (brick 10 mile bike 4 mile run ), during that workout I sprinted quite hard the last .20 percent of the mile and my legs and hamstring have felt extremely tight. So much so that I said yesterday I wouldn't work out again till the race Sunday. Do you guys think that's wise ? 4 days of no excersize is too much ? I'm thinking maybe tomorrow Friday do a little low impact swimming ? Any advice gang
2013-08-08 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey guys its Thursday and Tuesday late night was my lat workout (brick 10 mile bike 4 mile run ), during that workout I sprinted quite hard the last .20 percent of the mile and my legs and hamstring have felt extremely tight. So much so that I said yesterday I wouldn't work out again till the race Sunday. Do you guys think that's wise ? 4 days of no excersize is too much ? I'm thinking maybe tomorrow Friday do a little low impact swimming ? Any advice gang

I think it's a good idea to take it easy and rest. Exercise will just agervat the injury. Not something you want a few days before your race. The day before I would suggest going for a short jog, something nice and easy to see how your leg feels. How long is this race on Saturday? If you are still in pain the night before the race you may want to think about not racing in the interest of "stop now and be able to race another day"-as the saying goes. Will be interested to see what everyone else thinks on this.

Beth
2013-08-08 1:52 PM

, Alabama
I would be inclined to do an easy swim to loosen things up, maybe followed by a slow jog on Friday. Good luck on Sunday!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45