BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Heather's Women Only Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-03-03 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3291778

St. Paul
Subject: RE: Heather's Women Only Group - FULL

This week seemed particular harsh to me... I am so totally sick of winter I could scream. I bought running tights, so I could go outside and do my workouts, but then the temps dropped below zero and the paths all iced up. sigh.

I guess it's normal to have those weeks where you just wonder why you started the whole process... I know I'll come back around, but for right now I just feel low.

Does anyone else get that wave? If so, do you have strategies for overcoming it - or do you just have to ride it out?

Mary

2011-03-03 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3378440

St. Paul

jaclynembry - 2011-03-01 10:11 PM Rolled my ankle today and it is swollen and black and blue, kinda bummed since my first tri is 18 days away. Hopefully that I can at least participate even if I don't run. 

Jacyln - i'm so sorry. What a bummer. I hope it is starting to feel better...

Mary

2011-03-03 10:48 PM
in reply to: #3382024

Hopefully rolled ankle is feeling much better and your getting ready for your race jaclyn. Its still cold here too bakerswife and getting motivated to go running outside can i say can is hard. I'm not a natural runner. It helps to go out with my bf and have our baby in stroller. I feel like I'm doing something good for the whole family when I do that. 
2011-03-04 9:51 AM

St. Paul

Thanks Nickih. I decided this morning that I was just going to go back to the gym and run on the track, and I have to say - that it felt great. I've not been running lately - I have been trying to incorporate all three elements into my weekly workout, and since I'm not in town on the weekends where there is a track, i've been snowshoeing instead of running and it just doesn't carry the same response.

So now, I think for the time being, I will try to stay more focused on the running and let the biking and swimming come along as it can. My tri isn't until August, so I should have time to get ready for those parts when the weather is better and I can run outside on the weekends.

Mary

2011-03-04 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3382020

User image

Veteran
Between Madison and Milwaukee
bakerswife - 2011-03-03 9:52 PM

This week seemed particular harsh to me... I am so totally sick of winter I could scream. I bought running tights, so I could go outside and do my workouts, but then the temps dropped below zero and the paths all iced up. sigh.

I guess it's normal to have those weeks where you just wonder why you started the whole process... I know I'll come back around, but for right now I just feel low.

Does anyone else get that wave? If so, do you have strategies for overcoming it - or do you just have to ride it out?

Mary

Mary do you have friends that you can run with? It's so helpful to have a running buddy. Where I live we have an indoor track (at the Petit National Ice Center) which is an awesome alternative to the treadmill. change up your music playlist. When you go run go with a workout plan....I can send you some good treadmill workouts if you're interested. Just let me know the distance you'd like to run and then I'll give you a workout.
2011-03-06 7:02 PM

St. Paul

Heather - thanks for the idea - I just emailed a friend of mine that is also doing the couch to 5K running program and she's game to try and hook up.

Plus I went skiing yesterday - which while not bike, swim or run, - was exercise and it was FUN! So I'm feeling a bit more motivated. I am coming to the end of the c25K program I started. What would you do then? I think I might like to hear about some of your training ideas Heather. Thanks.

Mary

2011-03-11 6:16 PM

Portland

well the last two weeks have been a roller coaster. I have a tri on sunday, (that I have not trained much for, I also got shin splints and a knoted up calf and arch, though getting better) and in three weeks I start the travel thing with the military. so it looks like I will be doing alot, and I mean alot of 5k races this summer and fall.

so how is everyone else doing?

2011-03-12 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3385436

User image

Veteran
bakerswife - 2011-03-06 7:02 PM

Heather - thanks for the idea - I just emailed a friend of mine that is also doing the couch to 5K running program and she's game to try and hook up.

Plus I went skiing yesterday - which while not bike, swim or run, - was exercise and it was FUN! So I'm feeling a bit more motivated. I am coming to the end of the c25K program I started. What would you do then? I think I might like to hear about some of your training ideas Heather. Thanks.

Mary

What is your next event? Sorry I could probably look through posts and figure it out but I can help you plan out things better if you let me know if you're wanting to be focused on running or triathlon in general.
2011-03-12 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3394458

User image

Veteran
megan_four - 2011-03-11 6:16 PM

well the last two weeks have been a roller coaster. I have a tri on sunday, (that I have not trained much for, I also got shin splints and a knoted up calf and arch, though getting better) and in three weeks I start the travel thing with the military. so it looks like I will be doing alot, and I mean alot of 5k races this summer and fall.

so how is everyone else doing?

Good luck tomorrow! Let us know how it goes!! What distance is the event? Indoor/outdoor?
2011-03-12 3:01 PM

I have realized I need a running buddy. Because apparently there is no rime or reason to running. I see no improvement. Is there anyway to get better at this. I still can run for 1 k then end up walking waiting to catch my breath usually with the stroller but still. Why do I suck should I try the couch to 5 k program. Is there a couch to olympic distance run program or did i miss that. Running doesnt make any sense. Ok I think I just needed to vent.
2011-03-13 3:55 PM

Portland

nickih- try the stair climber. I'm not a big runner but I have found that it helps me allot more than running dose.

as for my tri today. it was another indoor 15min per event. so unofficial distances. (will have final results tomorrow)

swim-800 yds

bike-7.15 mil

run-1.5 mil

2011-03-13 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3394942

St. Paul

What is your next event? Sorry I could probably look through posts and figure it out but I can help you plan out things better if you let me know if you're wanting to be focused on running or triathlon in general.

Hey Heather - My main event is a women's only tri in August. I just went through this geeky extract from the training programs here to try and come up with a plan that would get me ready for that tri, and maybe ready for a slightly shorter beginners tri which is at the end of June. There is an indoor tri at my Y in early April which I think I might also try to put into the mix (although the last time i tried that i got sick ! ugh).

I planned a run focused program  - 2 X bike, 2X swim and 3 X run. And then came up with 2 different weekly schedules depending on where I am. It actually helps to have this sort of longer term plan (I think that is why that C25K program I was following was so helpful - didn't have to think on a daily basis - just follow the program and eh voila - I'm running!).

My bike computer wasn't working on the indoor training bike - so I bought a new battery, but that didn't seem to fix anything. So maybe I need to find another one. It seems that being able to tell what kind of distance you are doing would be sort of helpful. Anyway, things seem to be going good now and I'm kind of excited. I went to a beginners clinic where a panel of women that had done my tri last year spoke about the process. That was actually pretty inspirational.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

Mary

2011-03-13 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3395795

St. Paul
megan_four - 2011-03-13 3:55 PM

nickih- try the stair climber. I'm not a big runner but I have found that it helps me allot more than running dose.

as for my tri today. it was another indoor 15min per event. so unofficial distances. (will have final results tomorrow)

swim-800 yds

bike-7.15 mil

run-1.5 mil

Megan - you are a rock star! How many triathlons are you doing?

M

2011-03-13 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3395019

St. Paul

nickih - 2011-03-12 3:01 PM I have realized I need a running buddy. Because apparently there is no rime or reason to running. I see no improvement. Is there anyway to get better at this. I still can run for 1 k then end up walking waiting to catch my breath usually with the stroller but still. Why do I suck should I try the couch to 5 k program. Is there a couch to olympic distance run program or did i miss that. Running doesnt make any sense. Ok I think I just needed to vent.

Hey Nickih - You know I did follow that C25k program - you can get these mp3 thingys that tell you when to run and when to walk, until it takes you to running continuously for about 30 minutes. Not being any kind of runner in the past - I was sort of amazed that I did it. I ran on a treadmill for the most part - which turned out to be sort of good for me because it's too icey to run outside, and anyway I would get freaked out by dogs or cars, or lights or trip on the sidewalk. It just allowed me to focus on the run - and the mp3 stuff just made the time go pretty fast. Although, the one thing they say in the forums I lurked at was that you need to run really slooooowwww. And that the goal was to do the distance not to do it quickly. Since i had no other option than to run slow (it's embarrassing really to watch me run), that worked out OK for me.

It may not work for you - especially if you are already running now. I thought it was a pretty great way to get from never running to jogging continuously. 

Good luck!

m

Edited by bakerswife 2011-03-13 10:42 PM
2011-03-14 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3395019

User image

Veteran
nickih - 2011-03-12 3:01 PM

I have realized I need a running buddy. Because apparently there is no rime or reason to running. I see no improvement. Is there anyway to get better at this. I still can run for 1 k then end up walking waiting to catch my breath usually with the stroller but still. Why do I suck should I try the couch to 5 k program. Is there a couch to olympic distance run program or did i miss that. Running doesnt make any sense. Ok I think I just needed to vent.

I'd really like to see you ditch the dog and the stroller when you run. Since you're only gone for a short while anyway do you have someone to watch them while you run? You don't need the added resistance and stress of having a pet and a child with you when you're essentially still learning to run.

Here's a 13 week plan to go from minimal running to a 10k (a little over 6 miles...about 6.2). I highly recommend you adding in walking intervals. You might want to just stick with a 3 minute run/1 (or 2) minute walk and continue this for the distances you are trying to achieve each time you run. Otherwise here is a 13 Week Learn to Run Program.

Always walk 5 minutes slow and easy to warm up before each session and again to cool down after each session (this is included in the session times):

Week 1

Session 1 - 34 min. Run 1 minute. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 8 times.

Session 2 - 28 min. Run 1 minute. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 6 times.

Session 3 - 31 min. Run 1 minute. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 7 times.

Week 2

Session 1 - 38 min. Run 2 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 7 times.

Session 2 - 31 min. Run 1 minute. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 7 times.

Session 3 - 34 min. Run 2 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 6 times.

Week 3

Session 1 - 45 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 7 times.

Session 2 - 34 min. Run 2 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 6 times.

Session 3 - 40 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 6 times.

Week 4 - EASY RECOVERY WEEK

Session 1 - 40 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 6 times.

Session 2 - 30 min. Run 2 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 5 times.

Session 3 - 40 min. Run 2 minutes. Walk 3 minutes. Do this 6 times.

Week 5

Session 1 - 46 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 9 times.

Session 2 - 34 min. Run 2 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 8 times.

Session 3 - 42 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 8 times.

Week 6

Session 1 - 52 min. Run 5 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 7 times.

Session 2 - 38 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 7 times.

Session 3 - 50 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 10 times.

Week 7

Session 1 - 54 min. Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 4 times.

Session 2 - 40 min. Run 4 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 6 times.

Session 3 - 52 min. Run 5 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 7 times.

Week 8 *EASY RECOVERY WEEK

Session 1 - 54 min. Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 4 times.

Session 2 - 38 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 7 times.

Session 3 - 46 min. Run 5 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 6 times.

Week 9

Session 1 - 68 min. Run 10 minutes/walk 1 minute; Run 15 minutes/walk 1 minute. Run 20 minutes/walk 1 minute. Run 10 minutes.

Session 2 - 46 min. Run 5 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 6 times.

Session 3 - 54 min. Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 4 times.

Week 10

Session 1 - 72 min. Run 10 minutes/walk 1 minute. Run 20 minutes/walk 1 minute. Run 30 minutes.

Session 2 - 54 min. Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 4 times.

Session 3 - 57 min. Run 20 minutes/walk 1 minute. Run 15 minutes/walk 1 minute. Run 10 minutes.

Week 11

Session 1 - 71 min. Run 40 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 20 minutes.

Session 2 - 54 min. Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 4 times.

Session 3 - 57 min. Run 20 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 15 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 10 minutes.

Week 12 *EASY VOLUME WEEK

Session 1 - 60 min. Run 50 minutes.

Session 2 - 43 min. Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 3 times.

Session 3 - 52 min. Run 15 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 15 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Run 10 minutes.

Week 13

Session 1 - 50 min. Run 40 minutes.

Session 2 - 43 min. Run 10 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 3 times.

Session 3 Event Day 10K: have fun, and take care not to start out too quickly.

2011-03-14 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3396687

Wow thats really helpful thank you everyone. I really appreciate it and am definitly going to do that heather. Wow I feel ready to go now

2011-03-15 6:56 AM

St. Paul

Say Heather - I have a question for you. I started a c25K program in December and am now running about 28-30 minutes a session, 3 X a week. I was trying to come up with a new training plan for my tris (first one is 6/25 with a 2 mile run). Working with the custom training planner - 2X bike 2X swim, 3X run (since running is my most unknown).

All the programs I came up with have a total of 30 min per week at the beginning and I'm wondering if I'm better off just scaling back to that or ramping up the training to start with a higher number of minutes.

What do you think?

Mary

2011-03-15 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3398152

User image

Veteran
bakerswife - 2011-03-15 6:56 AM

Say Heather - I have a question for you. I started a c25K program in December and am now running about 28-30 minutes a session, 3 X a week. I was trying to come up with a new training plan for my tris (first one is 6/25 with a 2 mile run). Working with the custom training planner - 2X bike 2X swim, 3X run (since running is my most unknown).

All the programs I came up with have a total of 30 min per week at the beginning and I'm wondering if I'm better off just scaling back to that or ramping up the training to start with a higher number of minutes.

What do you think?

Mary

Here are a few suggestions for you

• 1. Bike a minimum of 15 minutes longer than what you expect your finish time to be for your triathlon.
    2. Work on bringing your run time down.
    a. Add in some interval runs (1/week) - Warm up for about 5 minutes with a fast work or slow jog. then run 1 minute as hard as you can possibly run (you can't speak and on a scale from 1-10 you're at a 10) then cut back to a slow jog and remain there for 2-3 minutes. Once you get your breath back or when you get to 3 minutes crank the speed up until you are at a 10 again and stay there for 1 minute. Repeat this sequence for a minimum of 30 minutes.
    3. Once every other week run for a minimum of 5 minutes on the treadmill immediately after you bike.
    4. Same as the bike swim at least 15 minutes longer than what you expect your time to be for your triathlon.

Don't forget to stretch after workouts particularly after running! Stretch the hamstrings really good. It's also very beneficial to add in one yoga or pilates session at least 1/week.

Let me know if you have questions about the above.. Have a great day!
    2011-03-16 7:01 AM

St. Paul

Heather - as a total newbie, I'm still trying to get up to distance. Most of the things I've read at BT seem to indicate that at this stage, I should be focusing more on just doing the distance?

Do you think that's not so much the case? I was just thinking that I might be able to start a training program with a bit higher run count, but I did my first run/swim day and really feel it. Most of the times I've been tracking have included the warm up and cool down - but I'm going to change that to just the actual running/ swimming/ bike excluding that. My times should improve but my distances will drop.

I signed up for another tri- it's a beginning tri and they have a mentor go with you thru the whole course. I'm pretty excited about it - a bit shorter distance than a standard sprint, but I think I will be ready - it's in June! And all the snow is melting in Minnesota! YAHOO!

mary

2011-03-16 7:02 AM
    in reply to: #3397047

St. Paul

Hey NickiH - how's the running going this week?

Mary

2011-03-16 10:01 AM
    in reply to: #3399802

User image

Veteran
    bakerswife - 2011-03-16 7:01 AM

Heather - as a total newbie, I'm still trying to get up to distance. Most of the things I've read at BT seem to indicate that at this stage, I should be focusing more on just doing the distance?

Do you think that's not so much the case? I was just thinking that I might be able to start a training program with a bit higher run count, but I did my first run/swim day and really feel it. Most of the times I've been tracking have included the warm up and cool down - but I'm going to change that to just the actual running/ swimming/ bike excluding that. My times should improve but my distances will drop.

I signed up for another tri- it's a beginning tri and they have a mentor go with you thru the whole course. I'm pretty excited about it - a bit shorter distance than a standard sprint, but I think I will be ready - it's in June! And all the snow is melting in Minnesota! YAHOO!

mary

That all depends I guess on what distance you are trying to work up to. I'm just trying to take your focus off the distance and instead focus and putting in the time and effort. I think sometimes people get to hung up on how far they need to run or have run instead of really making it a thoughtful workout. There is no right answer it's just a matter of what works for you.

Snow is melting here in Wisconsin too. Running outside today and it's going to be 50! Tomorrow 60 (but rain too).

have a great day everyone!

2011-03-17 3:22 PM
    in reply to: #3400174

St. Paul
    hlipusch - 2011-03-16 10:01 AM
    bakerswife - 2011-03-16 7:01 AM

mary

That all depends I guess on what distance you are trying to work up to. I'm just trying to take your focus off the distance and instead focus and putting in the time and effort. I think sometimes people get to hung up on how far they need to run or have run instead of really making it a thoughtful workout. There is no right answer it's just a matter of what works for you. Snow is melting here in Wisconsin too. Running outside today and it's going to be 50! Tomorrow 60 (but rain too). have a great day everyone!

Heather - I ran the recommended start mileage on the treadmill today and realized that all this time i've been "training" on the C25k run program, I was doing about 20 miles an hour. YIKES. When I tried to make the 10 min mile pace that the program suggested, i was like WOW. Yes, that was about all I could do at that rate... but I could do it. And I was checking my wind - to make sure I wasn't losing it and after it was all said and done - i feel GREAT.

So I think I get your point now... by focusing on both the pace and the distance I will be getting a more interesting workout AND not be losing anything by doing a shorter distance. I guess the rest of the world would know this- just goes to show you how much you can NOT know.

thanks for the insight!

Mary

2011-03-17 7:30 PM
    in reply to: #3402534

Hey bakerswife I just started running yesterday according to the plan. Last weekend, besides my daughter being a little ill, well I have no excuse but I'm back on track. My first work out went great. And I now realize I just gotta make time for me and running. Its better for my sanity to have a little me time. Also the weather is getting better so running is more enjoyable too. Which is definitly nice.
    2011-03-18 7:37 AM
    in reply to: #3402828

St. Paul

nickih - 2011-03-17 7:30 PM Hey bakerswife I just started running yesterday according to the plan. Last weekend, besides my daughter being a little ill, well I have no excuse but I'm back on track. My first work out went great. And I now realize I just gotta make time for me and running. Its better for my sanity to have a little me time. Also the weather is getting better so running is more enjoyable too. Which is definitly nice.

Yeah! Good for you! It sure seems like training with kids must be super challenging. Spring is definitely on the way.

2011-03-18 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran
    Have a great weekend everybody (who's all left in here anyway?...Roll call anyone?)! I have a 2 hour computrainer ride tomorrow morning followed by a 6 mile run outside and I'm really looking forward to it! )

What do you ladies have on the agenda for the weekend?
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Heather's Women Only Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 5