BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-01-11 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1150641

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Subject: RE: Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!!

guyo - 2008-01-11 2:17 PM There should be some runnings plans for 5k/10k/Half-marathon etc in the training plan route, otherwise most advice I have seen is a maximum 5-10% increase per week.

Thanks Guy and Good Saturday morning to you.  I will look in the training plans.  Is that an increase of 5-10% in mileage?

2008-01-11 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1150671

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Yes and or time, you need to give your body time to adapt and recover.

Also it depends on what you are running/training for. A plan form running to lose weight or get fit is very different to plan for a half-marathon or marathon.

I found the initial 10k plan on BT really good, picked a 10km race and worked back from there.
2008-01-11 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1150631

User image

Chicago, IL
I just meant that instead of running 9min miles for 1.5 miles perhaps you could try running slower. Maybe start at 10-12min mile pace for longer distances. For instance I know I can run a 10k in about an 8min mile pace. However, a marathon I do at around 10min mile pace.
Just a suggestion..
2008-01-11 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1150781

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

guyo - 2008-01-11 2:56 PM Yes and or time, you need to give your body time to adapt and recover. Also it depends on what you are running/training for. A plan form running to lose weight or get fit is very different to plan for a half-marathon or marathon. I found the initial 10k plan on BT really good, picked a 10km race and worked back from there.

Thanks Guy, I hope to register for some 5k's in the spring so I would say that I am training to rehab, and to try for a 5K.  I will  look at those plans. 

2008-01-11 2:14 PM
in reply to: #1150807

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

maurof78 - 2008-01-11 3:03 PM I just meant that instead of running 9min miles for 1.5 miles perhaps you could try running slower. Maybe start at 10-12min mile pace for longer distances. For instance I know I can run a 10k in about an 8min mile pace. However, a marathon I do at around 10min mile pace. Just a suggestion..

Thanks Mauro.  I agree that that is a good way to go, and have heard alot of people mention it.  I know the question was silly, but probably better asked as how do I monitor for a slower pace? Some people have suggested that I only run at 60-70% of my max HR, and eventually I will have to work harder to maintain that 60-70% HR, therefore getting faster.  I think I will institute that after I get to the 3 mile point, and increasing 10% per week from there.

I am beginning to enjoy running more, so that is a plus! 

2008-01-11 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1150850

User image

Chicago, IL
This would be easy to do on the treadmill since you can set your pace there. I use a GPS device to monitor pace outdoors.

2008-01-11 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1150850

User image

Veteran
Auckland
For pace I use mapmyrun.com to map the route and you can work out pace by the time it took you otherwise the nikeplus ipod works well for time and distance.

For HR you will need to use a heart rate monitor and this can be quite tricky initally to keep your heart rate low enough but with practice it's quite easy to recognise the pace you are going at.
2008-01-11 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1150992

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

guyo - 2008-01-11 4:07 PM For pace I use mapmyrun.com to map the route and you can work out pace by the time it took you otherwise the nikeplus ipod works well for time and distance. For HR you will need to use a heart rate monitor and this can be quite tricky initally to keep your heart rate low enough but with practice it's quite easy to recognise the pace you are going at.

I have a nike ipod plus, and I love it, I find it to be very accurate (I know some people find that is not the case).  I do monitor my run as I go along, but I am very inconsistent in my pace.  I will slow down sometimes to a comfortable pace only to find myself running faster shortly thereafter, and vice versa.  I guess with experience I will begin to learn what my pace feels like.  I know when I am in the pool I can keep a certain pace depending if I am sprinting or doing LD.  I am sure I will eventually learn it for the run.

I also monitor my HR with a Polar watch.  This I have a great deal of troubling holding steady, but I do seem to be learning the feeling of a high heart rate, vs a lower one.  So again probably with experience I will be able to tell what level my heart is at.

Thanks for all the input, it has made me consider and reconsider a lot of things.  I think I am formulating a better plan because of it. 

2008-01-12 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1094360

User image

Apple Valley, MN

notarunnr...... but a swmmr?

I'm curious as to your thoughts on training when it comes to swimming.  When I started training 15 months ago I was 3 months into training before I could swim 1500 meters.  My time was 38 minutes.  I've since brought that down to 30 minutes, but seem to have tapered off.  My goal is 28 minutes.  When I shared my goal with my coach, she rolled her eyes, which didn't instill a lot of confidence in my ability to meet my goal.  Of course, she might be right.

I train one day each week and my training consists of an 8 length warm up, then distance swim of mostly 1500 meters.  We then either focus on leg, arm or form.  We don't do speed work.  I'm not sure why we don't, but I do see others that focus primarily on speed work vs distance swimming.  Not coming from a swimming background, and recognizing that my swim coach is not versed in swim training, I'm considering providing her with some sort of discipline that will be sure to enhance my speed, but right now, I'm no smarter than she is when it comes to what plan I should follow.  Hoping you can help with this.

Is 28 minutes insurmountable?

2008-01-12 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1151166

User image

notarunnr - a lot of people say you should build up base miles. base is defined as your aerobic base, per sport. i've heard the analogy that a big base is like fine tuning a ferrari engine and a lil base is like fine tuning a hyundai in copmarison.

so they say practice slow miles in your aerobic threshold before adding intervals and anaerobic workouts. increase by only 5- 10% like guyo said. if you want to learn more just seach online for "periodization training (http://www.bradventures.com/triathlon-training.shtml#bm3)" the europeans have been using it for years in their long distance sports and do well.

you can also track your running on this website...add a route to your running times and it maps out the distance, you tell it the time and it tells you the pace..

for example...i know i can run fast, but now i'm just running for time and chillin' at a level where i can talk while exercising.

...hope this helps get you started...
2008-01-13 7:54 PM

well,
Packing up to move tomorrow so you guys won't be hearing form me for about a week.

2008-01-14 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1152349

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
tpurk40 - 2008-01-12 6:37 PM

notarunnr...... but a swmmr?

I'm curious as to your thoughts on training when it comes to swimming. When I started training 15 months ago I was 3 months into training before I could swim 1500 meters. My time was 38 minutes. I've since brought that down to 30 minutes, but seem to have tapered off. My goal is 28 minutes. When I shared my goal with my coach, she rolled her eyes, which didn't instill a lot of confidence in my ability to meet my goal. Of course, she might be right.

I train one day each week and my training consists of an 8 length warm up, then distance swim of mostly 1500 meters. We then either focus on leg, arm or form. We don't do speed work. I'm not sure why we don't, but I do see others that focus primarily on speed work vs distance swimming. Not coming from a swimming background, and recognizing that my swim coach is not versed in swim training, I'm considering providing her with some sort of discipline that will be sure to enhance my speed, but right now, I'm no smarter than she is when it comes to what plan I should follow. Hoping you can help with this.

Is 28 minutes insurmountable?

I have swum, swam, been in the water competitively since I think before I could walk, so I know my way around the pool a little bit. I teach swim classes, but as a disclaimer I have never coached a competitive swimmer.Wink

28 minutes is absolutely doable, but I honestly don't think you can do it by just throwing yards in the pool. It sounds like you do some form work and then just swim a solid 1500M? Your work outs should consist of a warm up, drills, core workout, and then a cool down.

The warm up can be as simple as 4x100 any stroke at an easy pace. You should then do some drill work, such as the catch up drill, push and glide, thumb drag, 6 kick drill, one arm swim, etc. The drills are where you practice on form. I vary these drills each day, but put a heavy emphasis on my stroke as it can be inefficient at times.

The core workout should consist of sets on a defined period, such as 6 - 200's with 30 second rest in between each one, or 10 - 100's on 1:30 (meaning you have a minute and a half for each 100, any extra time is rest time before you start your next 100).  This is where you are going to build your endurance and speed, however you won't build speed with out some interval work. You should try to imprint what you practiced in drills to your core workout..... Tough I know when your tired.

Then an easy cool down such 8x50's with a 20 second rest.

I think you should mix up the swim workouts. Sometimes do the interval work 10x100's, and them sometimes do the long endurance work. There is a good site for recording your stats (stroke count, times) and getting swim plans tailored to your level. Check it out swimplan.com. You might want to compare some of their workouts to your coaches, but I believe you really need some of that interval work to increase your speed.

If you want help with any of the drills or a swim workout let me know I would be happy to help. I love swimming and love to get people comfortable with it.

Happy Swimming! 

2008-01-14 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1153523

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

h2orunutz - 2008-01-13 8:54 PM well, Packing up to move tomorrow so you guys won't be hearing form me for about a week.

Happy moving! Where are you going to? 

2008-01-14 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1152353

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

lyric4christ - 2008-01-12 6:41 PM notarunnr - a lot of people say you should build up base miles. base is defined as your aerobic base, per sport. i've heard the analogy that a big base is like fine tuning a ferrari engine and a lil base is like fine tuning a hyundai in copmarison. so they say practice slow miles in your aerobic threshold before adding intervals and anaerobic workouts. increase by only 5- 10% like guyo said. if you want to learn more just seach online for "periodization training (http://www.bradventures.com/triathlon-training.shtml#bm3)" the europeans have been using it for years in their long distance sports and do well. you can also track your running on this website...add a route to your running times and it maps out the distance, you tell it the time and it tells you the pace.. for example...i know i can run fast, but now i'm just running for time and chillin' at a level where i can talk while exercising. ...hope this helps get you started...

Thanks Yianni! I have heard people talk about base before but never knew what it was. I hope to get up to running 5 miles (with that 10% increase thing) before I start doing intervals, does that make sense? My goal is to run some 5k's in the spring. Thanks for the website, I will check it out. That type of training makes sense to me.

Running and talking?...at the same time? I probably could swim and talk easier than I could run and talk!Surprised

2008-01-14 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1154953

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Tammy, would you have a minute to describe some of those drills you mentioned?
thanks, Holly

Edited by Hollz 2008-01-14 1:54 PM
2008-01-14 9:20 PM
in reply to: #1155150

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Hollz - 2008-01-14 2:54 PM Tammy, would you have a minute to describe some of those drills you mentioned? thanks, Holly

Holly check out this link, they are probably easier to view than describe.

http://video.about.com/swimming/Learn-How-to-Swim-Faster-.htm

They have different names than what I call them: 6 kick drill = 10x10 drill and fingertip drag=thumb drag.

I will try to describe The push and glide drill. As you are stroking through the water in freestyle, before you recover your arm out of the water hold the streamline position, which would be one arm straight in front of you and the other at your side just before recovery. Hold this position for a few seconds, complete your recovery and hold the glide position with the arms switched. I hope that makes sense. It is a great drill to make sure you are completing one stroke before beginning the next one. It also helps a swimmer get very long and lean in the water.

I hope it helps.

2008-01-15 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1156248

Colorado Springs, CO
notarunnr - 2008-01-14 8:20 PM

Hollz - 2008-01-14 2:54 PM Tammy, would you have a minute to describe some of those drills you mentioned? thanks, Holly

They have different names than what I call them: 6 kick drill = 10x10 drill and fingertip drag=thumb drag.

I will try to describe The push and glide drill. As you are stroking through the water in freestyle, before you recover your arm out of the water hold the streamline position, which would be one arm straight in front of you and the other at your side just before recovery. Hold this position for a few seconds, complete your recovery and hold the glide position with the arms switched. I hope that makes sense. It is a great drill to make sure you are completing one stroke before beginning the next one. It also helps a swimmer get very long and lean in the water.

I hope it helps.

Boy, we are so lucky to have a swimming pro in our group! Thanks!
2008-01-15 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1156893

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
mysfit - 2008-01-15 10:05 AM
notarunnr - 2008-01-14 8:20 PM

I hope it helps.

Boy, we are so lucky to have a swimming pro in our group! Thanks!

ThanksEmbarassed

2008-01-15 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
notarunnr - 2008-01-14 10:20 PM

I hope it helps.

The 10x10 drill is so called because of the 10 kicks each side, but you can also do it with 8,6, or 4, depending on your kicking style, and your comfort. 

2008-01-15 11:51 AM

Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: Pre-plan workouts
My training plan doesn't start until mid-february and I am trying to figure out how to train until then. I read somewhere that before you start training you should make sure you can do the distance of each sport first.

At first I was just working out for 1/2 hour like I normally do (pretty hard) but doing that every day was wearing me out too much. (I used to work out just every few days.) Now I'm working out for 30 minutes in the 70-75% HR range, which is a very easy pace for me. How should I be doing this? Should I work out in the 70-75% HR range for the full distance, or just for 30 minutes? Should I be putting in some drills? How should I build a good base before my plan kicks in?

Thanks!

April
2008-01-15 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
thanks so much for the link-very helpful information! I will try next time in the pool.

2008-01-15 10:33 PM
in reply to: #1154986

User image

notarunnr - 2008-01-15 12:09 PM

Thanks Yianni! I have heard people talk about base before but never knew what it was. I hope to get up to running 5 miles (with that 10% increase thing) before I start doing intervals, does that make sense? My goal is to run some 5k's in the spring. Thanks for the website, I will check it out. That type of training makes sense to me.

Running and talking?...at the same time? I probably could swim and talk easier than I could run and talk!Surprised

Yeah, that makes total sense. I'm actually going to do base training this whole year and continue right into off season. That will give me approximately 1.5 years of base running. Then I'll start doing aggressive training. I want to take it slow and attack it hard next year. I will taper my workouts a little bit this year around races, but for the most part - I'll only go hard during the end segments of my race... But next year, everybody better watch out....If I EVER LEARN TO SWIM!!!!!!!!!
2008-01-17 3:22 AM
in reply to: #1157421

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Subject: RE: Pre-plan workouts
April

When you say workout, what are you actually doing ? Treadmill, swimming etc ?

You could look at putting in some base work (long, slow etc) biking and running or perhaps working on swim technique if required.

Although your plan doesn't start for a few weeks nows a good time to take stock and look at the areas you most want to focus on.
2008-01-17 3:25 AM
in reply to: #1158839

User image

Veteran
Auckland
lyric4christ - 2008-01-16 3:33 PM

notarunnr - 2008-01-15 12:09 PM

Yeah, that makes total sense. I'm actually going to do base training this whole year and continue right into off season. That will give me approximately 1.5 years of base running. Then I'll start doing aggressive training. I want to take it slow and attack it hard next year. I will taper my workouts a little bit this year around races, but for the most part - I'll only go hard during the end segments of my race... But next year, everybody better watch out....If I EVER LEARN TO SWIM!!!!!!!!!

My idea and understanding of base work is the miles put in during the off season or prior to start of an actual focussed plan and phase of the year. For example I worked on running and biking fitness over winter, swimming was mainly technique with one aerobic swim a week. Then I had a specific 16 week build-up plan for Ironman which was broken down into several phases.

Hope this helps.
2008-01-17 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1161253

User image

guyo - 2008-01-18 2:25 AM

My idea and understanding of base work is the miles put in during the off season or prior to start of an actual focussed plan and phase of the year. For example I worked on running and biking fitness over winter, swimming was mainly technique with one aerobic swim a week. Then I had a specific 16 week build-up plan for Ironman which was broken down into several phases.

Hope this helps.

i agree. but, i'm not going to increase my intensity during my training plan. i'll just increase my minutes - and where it changes as it comes close to race day - I'll just ignore and do time and make it a base workout...just to get back in shape slowly. I could do a workout and go back to base....but i figured, what the heck...why not?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Guyo's Mentor Group - Closed and starting the year with a Bang !!! Rss Feed  

of 6