BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Broompatrol's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-03-07 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2002568

User image

Westminster, MD
Subject: RE: Broompatrol's Group - FULL
Thanks again...very helpful information. Which of course is going to lead me to another question...

Where do you find someone to do the testing? Is there a search term I can plug into Google to find a local person? Like "heart rate testing" or "anaerobic threashold testing"? I guess I can float this to somone in the local Tri club also.

Thanks again!

Chris

2009-03-09 5:09 AM
in reply to: #2003451

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

You could try an internet search for VO2 MAX or lactate threshold testing in your area. Some places can even do a blood sample to determine your true lactate threshold. Although that is pretty elaborate.

Threshold testing will give you more useful data than just VO2. The VO2 max alone will give you numbers you may not be able to do much with.

The testing would give you precise training zones and you would determine your true max HR.

If you want to get an idea of your LT without the testing, you could use your avg HR in a 10k race. Assmuning you give it your best effort. That can get you a nice working number. (stay above it in a 5k and below it in a marathon! )

Edited by Broompatrol 2009-03-09 5:36 AM
2009-03-09 5:22 AM
in reply to: #2003451

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

Pam, I forgot to address something you said about overheating and hydration. I know in AZ the humidity is gets so low the sweat never hits the ground. BUt, if you are correct about not sweating, then you may not need a lot of sodium., ANd you may not need alot of water. So, plain water may be in order and the ability to douse.

You could try loops around your home so that you have a regular stop for cold water by your door. if you have a cooler with water you can douse to cool off.

The other Chris suggested the old stashing drinks trick. If you ever find a pepsi or g-ade hiding in a bush leave it alone! This may or may not be too elaborate for your needs.

There are a variety of styles of hydration belts. If you order one keep in mind whether you want ot put ice in them or not.

Run where there are sprinklers.

In 1/2 IM and IM races they give out sponges soaked in icewater for the athletes to cool off with. They are bigger than the kitchen type, but ot as dense as the ones for your car.

Some athletes who are heat sensitive have been experimeting with all white long sleeve garments. In your case, you may want something that doesn't actually dry that fast, to maximize the cooling effect. Torbjorne Sinballe wears one white glove to hold ice in his hand while he runs. HE says it works to keep him cool.

obviously, running at the gym is a controlled environment, but I would suggest figuring this out before your race. You're going to come off the bike and start running, you want to have a plan.

My 47 cents.

2009-03-09 5:30 AM
in reply to: #2005591

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

A word on training. I've read articles on training 'secrets' of the pros. I've noted that many of their apporaches are very different. But they all have 3 things in common.

• workouts are focused.  Every workout has a purpose, even a noodlely easy ride is intentional recovery
  • consistency.  4 miles 3 times a week gives more benefit than one 12 mile a week
  • measurement. Pros benchmark and evaluate their performance to fine tune thier training.

That's it, there is no secret, only the practice of reasoned principles. This doesn't mean you can't have fun with it, just that a systematic approach to training yields better results

Edited by Broompatrol 2009-03-09 5:32 AM
2009-03-09 5:32 AM
in reply to: #1895248

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
BTW, has everyone noticed Nurseangel has a fabulous smile?
2009-03-11 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2005599

Chris (and Chris) -

I actually have a 5 mile loop that repeats by my house that I use; I keep a cooler in the carport and stop to "reload".  I am not able to leave drinks on my route because I can't be guaranteed of them being there when I get to where I left them.  There is an 8 mile loop I like to do, but its without houses and the drinks would disappear.  I live in a high "people traffic" area; no one would bother me, but water is a hot commodity.  My husband has, at times, brought me drinks if I choose to do the 8 miles.

Drinking while riding my bike is something I haven't figured out yet.  I am really just starting to get the hang of riding again after years of being off of it, and am not sure of my balance.  I am working on it; trying different ways of reaching for my drink, balancing while trying to get some into my mouth, and not killing myself at the same time...Surprised

I am shooting for mid-late September for my first tri, so hope to have this all figured out before then.  I'm planning on going to a "transition seminar" this weekend; won't be practicing...am not that far along in my training yet, but have never even seen a transition area.  Thought this might be a good start.

Thanks for all your tips.

Pam

2009-03-11 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2010378

User image

Westminster, MD
I am by far not an expert in any of this, but can at least give you some practical advise from what I have personally done and/or seen.

I mentioned it before in a previous post...my wife used a Camelback water/hydration backpack when she and I were doing our marathon training. She LOVED that thing. It allowed her to hydrate on the fly without having to worry about bottles. I never tried it myself, but I talked I know she highly recommends them. They are especially good on a bike ride. I still can't see how she used it while running (though she says it never bothered her) but I see cyclists (especially Mountain bikers) using them all the time. It allows for hands free hydration and you don't have to worry about balance, etc.

Here is a link to one...there are a ton of options...this one is pretty small and light...http://www.rei.com/product/763099

One thing I'm not sure of would be whether this type of thing is allowed on the course during the actual race. If not, then maybe use it until you get comfortable with the water bottles as you don't want to rely on this and them come race day have to use something totally different.

Anyway, just some thoughts.
2009-03-11 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

Pam,

Here are some portable hydration products:

Amphipod: http://amphipod.com/overview/overview.html

Fuel belt: http://www.fuelbelt.com/about/about.html

Camelbak: http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

You said you live near TriSports. They should have some products in stock for you to examine. There are also running bottles that you hold in your hand. If you fill them with ice they will also have a cooling effect.

Here is a link to some clothing for hot weather:

DeSoto Sports (check out the ski cooler products): http://www.desotosport.com/products/product.asp?Category=Accessories

As far as drinking on the bike goes, my first suggestion would be to loosen up. If you are stiff arming the handlebars all your movement will be translated into the front wheel making it feel wobbly. Some confidence and relaxation will go a long way, and that will come with practice. Thousands of people drink on the bike each day, there is no reason you can't too.

If I were your therapist I would say you are thinking too hard about this. You have some issues with heat and hydration, but you don't want to give up running and cycling. Pick a system you like and go for it. As you train you should expect some adaptations, too.

In the penultimate issue of Running magazine, they quoted a study showing that chicken soup before a run improved hydration. Have you considered Chicken soup for breakfast?

BTW, Pam you're doing it! Go Pam, Go Pam!

As far as being legal on a course. I doubt any course would ban hydration packs, but if you want to be safe you can always email the race director with questions. Its a good idea anyway make sure you know how many and what kind of aid stations there are.

Edited by Broompatrol 2009-03-11 2:50 PM
2009-03-19 2:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

I hope everyone is having a good week. I'm having some trouble with motivation. I'm finishng a degree, have 2 little girls, a spouse and a job. I'm finding it difficult to work toward my fitness goals and stay motivated. I'm not always good at taking my own advice even though some of it is actually good :P

I'm wondering how Pam manages to get out of bed before the sun consistently. I'm usally reaching for the snooze button.

2009-03-23 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

We are almost through March so technically we are nearing the end of the Mentoring period.

It is my hope that the mentoring was helpful and at the very least enjoyable for everybody. I enjoyed the opportunity to provide positve support. It is my sincere wish that you prosper and find happines in whatever your endeavors are.

Please keep my email if you wish. I welcome any questions anytime and I am happy to share what I can.

Befre we all cry and say goodbye, I would really appreciate a bit of feedback from you guys.

1. Would you describe the mentoring as helpful and positive? Why or why not?
  2. Is there something that you would have liked to have had but didn't get out it? If so, what was it?
  3. If there was a way I could have been a better mentor, what would it be?

Thanks,

-Chris

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Broompatrol's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4