BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-04-25 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1361556

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-04-25 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1361568

2008-04-25 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1351583

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed!

I'm sure most have seen by now about the San Diego Tri club member that was killed this morning , unbelievable examples of courage and sadness, I think every Tri club on the west coast is discussing it.

I wanted to share an email that was sent to me early this week, it is from my tri club coach at Triathlete Connection (this is our sister club who we train with):

There was an incident this weekend at The Grind Ride that I thought Cycling Connection
members that were not on the ride should know about. Dale Wright from Redding Velo
was down visiting family for the weekend and had brought his bike with to get a ride in.
He decided to go on the long course and on his way down from the Shinn Road re-group,
about a 100 yards from 24th St., lost control of his bike and crashed . There was no
contact with another bike or vehicle. He was airlifted to Arrowhead Regional Hospital.
This morning 4-20-08 the family took him off life support after his sons arrived from
Redding. I would like to thank all the club members that were there to help at the site and
who supported his family. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.
Tom Tisler

It has been a terrible and sad week for athletes in California. Cherish your health and be safe!

2008-04-25 10:54 PM

Modesto, California
Had a swim breakthrough tonight! My masters coach pointed out that my hips sink, I knew that something was wacky with my stoke but I have always menaged to compensate with a strong pull. He started explaining to me how to correct it and we both agreed I needed to pres the t, only he explained it in a way no one ever has. He started out by saying that men have a harder time with sinking hips, just the way our bodies are, when pressing the t you arch your lower back,stick your butt out and push your chest down, I quickly compared it to an olympic powerlifter doing barbell squats. Anyway this is huge for me, however it does feel akward for right now, the coach said my stroke looked 10x better. A very bad day ended on a good note for me.
2008-04-26 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1362861

Elite
Tucson, AZ
nevergivin - 2008-04-25 3:09 PM

It has been a terrible and sad week for athletes in California. Cherish your health and be safe!

I'm so sorry. A rough week indeed.

2008-04-26 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1363184

Elite
Tucson, AZ

nevergivin - 2008-04-25 7:54 PM

Had a swim breakthrough tonight! My masters coach pointed out that my hips sink, I knew that something was wacky with my stoke but I have always menaged to compensate with a strong pull. He started explaining to me how to correct it and we both agreed I needed to pres the t, only he explained it in a way no one ever has. He started out by saying that men have a harder time with sinking hips, just the way our bodies are, when pressing the t you arch your lower back,stick your butt out and push your chest down, I quickly compared it to an olympic powerlifter doing barbell squats. Anyway this is huge for me, however it does feel akward for right now, the coach said my stroke looked 10x better. A very bad day ended on a good note for me.

Congrats on the breakthrough! That's huge. I know what you mean about the sinking hips part. I always felt like I was swimming like a banana, and coaches always tried to tell me to "swim downhill" (head down more), "tuck the chin" or "press your chest to the floor." None of those ever worked, as I just didn't get it. So I just slowly worked on it and the form slowly corrected a bit. It's nice when those breakthroughs happen and you're able to get it right away.

2008-04-26 11:51 AM

Veteran
Hi everyone... can I put my shame to the side and ask some very novice questions? (I keep tellig myself.. that is why I joined this group).

I am very slow but I love running. To improve... do I work on speed or distance? Also... any HR tips on when I should walk and when I should run? I know that my run is what most people walk...but please don't tell me to walk until I build up. I have come such a long way with my running. When I started I could only run for 1:30. I have done three 5K's and each one has gotten faster (1:01, 51, 48). The amazing thing is that running is the most difficult of the three sports to do and it is the sport I enjoy the most.

Hydration... today I didn't realize how hot it was getting... I ran for 51 min. without any water. Any advice to fuel belt, camelback belt, etc? I bought a hand held bottle for my tri and took it on the run portion...I couldn't drink out of the damn thing... I didn't know if you are to bite it or what. Any tips for the heat?

What is up with this... my 1st mile is always my slowest and most difficult? Ok... silly... but do you start your Garmin/HRM when you walk out of your door or when you begin running? I start it out the door but walk the first few and last few min.

If you bike in the morning and run in the afternoon is that a brick? Or is a brick only when you do one right after the other? Lastly... I did the BT very basic plan and it got me to the Tri for the Cure. Now which plan should I use? I was thinking of just working out 5-6 times per week alternating sports with 1-2 bricks per week. Thoughts?

I really appreciate this forum and I am open to any and all suggestions. I hope no one falls over at my run/walk pace... trust me... I have come a long way baby!

Elizabeth
2008-04-26 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1363451

Master
Wisteria Lane
azelizabeth - 2008-04-26 10:51 AM

Hi everyone... can I put my shame to the side and ask some very novice questions? (I keep tellig myself.. that is why I joined this group).

I am very slow but I love running. To improve... do I work on speed or distance? Also... any HR tips on when I should walk and when I should run? I know that my run is what most people walk...but please don't tell me to walk until I build up. I have come such a long way with my running. When I started I could only run for 1:30. I have done three 5K's and each one has gotten faster (1:01, 51, 48). The amazing thing is that running is the most difficult of the three sports to do and it is the sport I enjoy the most.

Hydration... today I didn't realize how hot it was getting... I ran for 51 min. without any water. Any advice to fuel belt, camelback belt, etc? I bought a hand held bottle for my tri and took it on the run portion...I couldn't drink out of the damn thing... I didn't know if you are to bite it or what. Any tips for the heat?

What is up with this... my 1st mile is always my slowest and most difficult? Ok... silly... but do you start your Garmin/HRM when you walk out of your door or when you begin running? I start it out the door but walk the first few and last few min.

If you bike in the morning and run in the afternoon is that a brick? Or is a brick only when you do one right after the other? Lastly... I did the BT very basic plan and it got me to the Tri for the Cure. Now which plan should I use? I was thinking of just working out 5-6 times per week alternating sports with 1-2 bricks per week. Thoughts?

I really appreciate this forum and I am open to any and all suggestions. I hope no one falls over at my run/walk pace... trust me... I have come a long way baby!

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth! I am not really sure on the running advice. I am on a similar path starting out with run walk. Everyone keeps telling me that track work and intervals are the best way to get faster. One night a week I go out and run "fartleks" where I run as fast and hard as I can and then recover before starting again. It is more fun to me then formal intervals. I seem to be very slowly knocking time off of my running. I am also doing what I can to drop walk breaks here and there...push myself a little further..that type of thing. I totally agree with you that I enjoy running the most but I am the slowest at it.

I have a Fuel Belt -4 bottles for long runs. It works well for me and I have no complaints. When it is hot I will take my amphipod hand held on shorter runs. Only on 30 minute or shorter runs do I not take hydrations anymore. In the winter you can get away with it but I think you need fluids more when it's 90+.

My 1st mile is always the slowest and most difficult. It takes my heartrate a little time to get in the zone. I think that is normal. So for me my heartrate will go up at first and then after about a mile or 10 min or everything seems to feel better. Even better for me is after 3 miles. Once I hit 3 miles on a long run I feel sooo much better. Then I feel like I could just go forever. So anyway, yes, I think that is totally normal. I usually just walk until my Garmin picks up a satellite. So maybe 3-5 minutes. I think a longer warm up is recommended though.

I think a brick is technically when two disciplines are right back to back. Whether I am doing a formal plan or not if I am tri training I try to hit each discipline long and short once a week. So 6 workouts total.

Everyone has to start somewhere so don't even think twice about your pace or walk/run ratio. You are doing it and THAT is what matters. Don't forget that, K!!
2008-04-26 12:20 PM

Master

azelizabeth - 2008-04-26 9:51 AM Hi everyone... can I put my shame to the side and ask some very novice questions? (I keep tellig myself.. that is why I joined this group). I am very slow but I love running. To improve... do I work on speed or distance?

Hydration... today I didn't realize how hot it was getting... I ran for 51 min. without any water. Any advice to fuel belt, camelback belt, etc?

Any tips for the heat?

If you bike in the morning and run in the afternoon is that a brick? Or is a brick only when you do one right after the other?

Lastly... I did the BT very basic plan and it got me to the Tri for the Cure. Now which plan should I use? I was thinking of just working out 5-6 times per week alternating sports with 1-2 bricks per week. Thoughts? I really appreciate this forum and I am open to any and all suggestions. I hope no one falls over at my run/walk pace... trust me... I have come a long way baby! Elizabeth

Elizabeth - Here are my thoughts FWIW... I don't use a HRM so cannot comment on those questions. 

* your speeds are increasing as evidenced by your 5K times.  Feel proud, not timid.  Your times are not those of a conditioned olympic athlete, but they are your times! My tri plan called for the first week run/walk 1 minute each.  Then run 2 minutes, walk 1.  I'm now (week 5 or 6?) doing 5/1s (run 5, walk 1)... and feel like I COULD do a longer run but am mostly sticking to the plan as to not overdo it.  The first weeks the 1/1 and 2/1 felt HARD.  I deserve the minute rest.

*Hydration, for a 50minute you shouldn't *need* to bring water if you are properly hydrated ahead of time.  Make sure you're drinking well when not exercising.  that said, I'm a water junkie so understand the desire. I carry water in the jogger if i have the kids, but usually don't frink until end of exercise.

* heat is a killer for me, I have rosacea which makes my heat management a concern.  I wear a hat at all times and am trying out some of the tech-fabrics which have cooling properties.  I saw in one of the race reports a glowing review for those neck hankerchiefs with crystals in them to help with cooling.  REI sells them. I find I'm most heated when I'm a couple minutes from the end of my run - regardless of run length - so I think some off the "heat" is mental.

* A brick is all at once - practice your T2 and move stright from bike to run.

* my understanding on training management when "in season" is after you complete your first "A" race, you pick up the plan as it applied to your next "A" race - so if you race this weekend and the next race is in 5 weeks, you restart your plan (or another plan) 5 weeks from the end -- the assumption being you have already built the base that the prior weeks of the plan was building.  Since you'd like to build your running, maybe find a run-based tri plan to follow?

Hopefully some of that was helpful!

If it helps, you can fall over at my swim totals, I'm out of the pool after 400 yds  

You're doing great! 

-Cynthia 

2008-04-26 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1363184

Master

nevergivin - 2008-04-25 8:54 PM Had a swim breakthrough tonight!

Great!  I want one too!   

Our club now has private lessons for the summer - can I learn something from the 19yo lifeguards?

2008-04-26 12:26 PM

Master

I've signed up for a 5K on may 10!

I have a muddy buddy!  Now we need a team name - any suggestions?  We're both moms of two (3 and 1yos), November birthdays, 36, probably BOPrs!  I was thinking something in the "archer" theme since we're sagitarii *shrug*  I dunno.

-Cynthia 

2008-04-27 6:14 PM

Elite
Tucson, AZ

azelizabeth - 2008-04-26 8:51 AM

Hi everyone... can I put my shame to the side and ask some very novice questions? (I keep tellig myself.. that is why I joined this group). I am very slow but I love running. To improve... do I work on speed or distance? Also... any HR tips on when I should walk and when I should run? I know that my run is what most people walk...but please don't tell me to walk until I build up. I have come such a long way with my running. When I started I could only run for 1:30. I have done three 5K's and each one has gotten faster (1:01, 51, 48). The amazing thing is that running is the most difficult of the three sports to do and it is the sport I enjoy the most.

Great advice by the others, and I'll pile my 2 cents in there too.

You can work on both speed and distance to improve. A distance run each week at an easy pace will build your endurance, and a short speed workout will help you get faster. Typically folks do a speed workout mid-week and then a distance run on the weekends. I don't do the HR thing, as it just frustrated me, so I can't offer much there.

I have a bottle that has a pack that goes around your waist. So you just pull the bottle out of the holder when you want to drink. I like it because it keeps my hands free. Carrying a bottle makes my arms tired after awhile. Was your bottle like a bike bottle with a pull top? Usually you have to squeeze them to get water out. Some bottles have a soft top that you can bite to get the water out.

As it gets hotter, you'll want to drink more. I carry water on all of my runs, even the short ones. That way I can practice my hydration. It takes some time to get acclimated to working out in the heat, so just keep at it and keep drinking water.

I go outside and stand there until Garmin finds it's satellites, then I start the timer and walk. I walk for 5 min for short runs and 10 min for longer runs to warm up. When I start running I hit the "lap" button. Then when I stop running and start walking I hit "lap" again. So I'll have 3 laps recorded (warm-up walk, run, cool down walk). That way I can recall the laps and see what my running pace was without the walking averaged in.

If you bike in the morning and run in the afternoon is that a brick? Or is a brick only when you do one right after the other?

Bricks are one right after the other, just like in a race.

Lastly... I did the BT very basic plan and it got me to the Tri for the Cure. Now which plan should I use? I was thinking of just working out 5-6 times per week alternating sports with 1-2 bricks per week. Thoughts? I really appreciate this forum and I am open to any and all suggestions. I hope no one falls over at my run/walk pace... trust me... I have come a long way baby! Elizabeth

Looks like you have about 7 weeks in between Tri for the Cure and Danskin. If you liked the basic plan, you could repeat the last 7 weeks to get you to Danskin. Or you could check out the other plans and see what the last 7 weeks of those look like. Or you coud do your own thing with a few swim, bike and run workouts a week.

You definitely have come a long way! Keep it up!

2008-04-27 6:16 PM
in reply to: #1363478

Elite
Tucson, AZ
movingsouth - 2008-04-26 9:26 AM

I've signed up for a 5K on may 10!

I have a muddy buddy!  Now we need a team name - any suggestions?  We're both moms of two (3 and 1yos), November birthdays, 36, probably BOPrs!  I was thinking something in the "archer" theme since we're sagitarii *shrug*  I dunno.

-Cynthia 

Congrats on taking the plunge on the 5K and finding a buddy! I'm not very good with team names though. I raced with my father in law for mine and named our team "Age B4 beauty."

2008-04-27 6:36 PM

Kansas
Okay, need a little advice here guys.  I am getting myself back into my training mode, and now I've got a scheduling dilemma. I will be going to Ft. Worth Tues-Thurs of this week to help my daughter with her wedding plans, then home for a week and then back to Ft. Worth the week of the 13th for the wedding on that Saturday the 17th.  That means I'm going to be out of town three days this week and at least four the week of the wedding.  I can easily run while I'm out of town, but how do I get the swimming and biking thing done? Should I try to swim tomorrow and then Friday/Saturday of this week and go back to regular next week and adjust again the week I'm out of town?  I would take my bike, but since I'm not sure of WHERE to bike I don't want to put myself in a position where I am not on a good road, get lost, etc.  I do not want to lose what I'm gaining back and since my tri is 7 weeks away, I want to build up my training not lose it.  Whataya think?
2008-04-28 7:49 AM

2008-04-28 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1365133

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Big Mama - 2008-04-27 3:36 PM

Okay, need a little advice here guys.  I am getting myself back into my training mode, and now I've got a scheduling dilemma. I will be going to Ft. Worth Tues-Thurs of this week to help my daughter with her wedding plans, then home for a week and then back to Ft. Worth the week of the 13th for the wedding on that Saturday the 17th.  That means I'm going to be out of town three days this week and at least four the week of the wedding.  I can easily run while I'm out of town, but how do I get the swimming and biking thing done? Should I try to swim tomorrow and then Friday/Saturday of this week and go back to regular next week and adjust again the week I'm out of town?  I would take my bike, but since I'm not sure of WHERE to bike I don't want to put myself in a position where I am not on a good road, get lost, etc.  I do not want to lose what I'm gaining back and since my tri is 7 weeks away, I want to build up my training not lose it.  Whataya think?

Yep, I would swim and bike on the days you are home, and push all the running to the out-of-town days. Or if you can find a gym with spin bikes while on travel, you coud get some biking in that way. Any community pools in the area you could hit real quick for some swimming while on travel?

2008-04-28 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1365734

Master
wgraves7582 - 2008-04-28 5:49 AM

Morning everyone. I posted my race report BPAC 6 Hour Classic if you guys want to read it. Hope everyone had a great weekend of training.

Looks like you met your goal and didn't overdo it on pace!  great work! 

2008-04-28 11:41 AM

Master

Big Mama-

wedding planning can be sooo crazy.  I suggest making a schedule of when you'll do your runs (and swim/bike if you figure a way) so you have a commitment at that time and won't let your training slip away amongst the wedding activities. 

Finding a community pool you can swim out might be an enjoyable break for you.

-Cynthia 

2008-04-28 12:12 PM

Veteran
Tacoma
I pulled/strained my right calf half way through my long run yesterday. I'm going to try to stay off it, use ice, heat gel, & keep it wrapped a lot for the next couple days. Then I'll go back to biking, swimming, & lots of massages with "The Stick". I had this happen several times last year, so I know what needs to be done pretty much. No running for at least 2 weeks.
2008-04-28 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1366676

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Schrup - 2008-04-28 9:12 AM

I pulled/strained my right calf half way through my long run yesterday. I'm going to try to stay off it, use ice, heat gel, & keep it wrapped a lot for the next couple days. Then I'll go back to biking, swimming, & lots of massages with "The Stick". I had this happen several times last year, so I know what needs to be done pretty much. No running for at least 2 weeks.

Oh ouch! Any ideas what caused it? Sounds like you have a plan for recovery...just sorry it's happened so much in the past. Being injured sucks!

2008-04-28 4:46 PM

2008-04-28 8:30 PM

Veteran
Sorry to hear about you calf... you are right on. Rest and ice are really your best friends right now. Listen to you body... once it is better I can share some exercises to help strengthen your calves/legs (therapist hat on).

Elizabeth
2008-04-28 8:39 PM

Master
Wisteria Lane
Schrup - 2008-04-28 11:12 AM

Oh man, I am sorry to hear that! Sounds like you know what you need to do though!
2008-04-29 8:25 AM

Modesto, California

My plan has me tapering for the next week until my race, besides feeling guilty and worried that might loose some of my fitness up until my race, can someone explain what tapering actually does ?

I am also not sure if my taper workouts should be short intense focused workouts, or should they be short medium intensity workouts? Yesterday my plan had me doing some sprint runs and sprint swims.

2008-04-29 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1368744

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  

of 15