BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnerg1rl7's Group!! - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2008-05-13 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1364886

User image

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
Subject: RE: Runnerg1rl7's Group!! - Closed

Marcy,

Welcome back to the states!!! 

2008-05-13 7:49 PM

User image

Master
Bummed out here. Beautiful weather tonight and planned on a nice long run. Last night I felt a few twinges of soreness in my right achilles. Through the day I felt some soreness, just enough to know that my tendon was there. Anyway, I'm playing it safe, resting it and icing it and taking some ibuprofen. Hoping to run on Thursday morning...at least I can swim in the morning.
2008-05-14 8:09 AM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI

it was a very nice nigt last night... if i dodnt have swim calls i would have went for a run as well.  The weekend looks likes its going to be pretty crappy with rain and all so it should give you some good healing time!

2008-05-14 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
The raining weather is already here for me...soooooo...that was the reason I did not train yesterday....yup...that was it....the weather...yeahhhh
2008-05-14 10:33 AM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI

john - your suppose to be honest...it wasnt the weather it was the dogs...right?  Smile

2008-05-14 10:39 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-05-14 10:45 AM

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
yeahhhhh the dogs....that's right...I didn't want to sound like a wimp....but yeah...the dogs are the reason I did not train...yup..that's right.....oh the horror
2008-05-14 12:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

Happy Wednesday!

Marcy, welcome back to the states!  Sounds like you have a good plan for ramping up your training.  Just be careful not to get too hung up on the numbers when it comes to your total volume - ramp up gradually so you don't overdo anything.  As for your question - of course, all the research is mixed.  But in general caffeine has been shown to be modestly peformance-enhancing (and as long as you don't overdo it, it's generally safe).  At the least, it gives you an extra boost of energy and can decrease your RPE (perceived exertion) so a workout/race might FEEL a little easier.  Arginine has some useful benefits to the immune system in people with an injury or illness, but doesn't appear (yet) to have any similar benefit or performance-enhancing effect on healthy individuals.  Creatine does work, but more so for building muscle mass used in short-duration, high-intensity exercise like sprinting and weight lifting.  It really won't have any benefit on endurance exercise, and of course a LOT of muscle mass is not a benefit to triathletes.  So, bottom line (in my opinion) - I'd save my money.

Mitch - That IS a bummer!  But I'm glad you're being smart about it and resting that achilles.

John - Sounds like you need a bike trainer so you can't use the rain excuse anymore! 

Libby - Take advantage of that nice weather and get outside and train!!

Hi also to Jennifer and Lou (and Sherist (jellogal) - what happened to her?)!

2008-05-14 1:06 PM

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
WHAT!!! lol...I am shock Laura that you think I am making excuses....lol...I can not control the weather or dogs you knowInnocent....ok ok you got me....where can I get these bike trainers
2008-05-14 1:15 PM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI

Hey John...just to let you know there are no dogs in my area of training!

Laura - thanks for doing this for us.  its nice to be able to talk to others about whats going on and listening to other peeps story.  It helps me work out knowing that if I push myself a little that i can go that "extra mile".  the best part is you feel great at the end but you also have someone to share it with...so i think it make you workout a little better...well at least for me

Happy Wednesday to all and hope everyone gets in a good middle of the week training!!!

2008-05-14 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1402317

Master
What area of town are you in? I'd be happy to meet up for any of the three disciplines. I swim at either Life Time Fitness in Troy or Rochester. I don't think they're charging enrollment fees at the moment. I tend to avoid biking on the roads around Troy because of the traffic and bad drivers, but I will go out to Stoney Creek and ride around there. Also will use my mountain bike on the rail trails (Clinton River, Macomb Orchard, and Paint Creek Trail.) I typically run around Troy but not opposed to cycling and then running at Stoney Creek.

2008-05-15 5:54 AM

Regular
Chicago

Good morning everyone!

Thanks for your thoughts on supplements, Laura. I like to reality check some of this stuff I hear.

Regarding DOGS - The topic actually came up in my running seminar last night! We were talking about Running Safety. I had to crack a smile when this came up! Apparently this is a very real problem for both bikers and runners because dogs feel threatened by fast-moving people/animals/vehicles who approach their territory. The advice given was simply to stop running. Although this is counter-intuitive, the dog will no longer perceive a threat.

Another tactic mentioned was to bark back at the dog. John, I think you should try that next time and let us know how it works!

2008-05-15 6:46 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-15 8:19 AM

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
LOL....am I the group guinea pig now??? and there is NO way I want that on video
2008-05-15 9:44 AM

Chicago, IL

Hi all...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I went to a 2 hour lecture last night for people who are training for the their first triathlon. It was really eye opening.

Personally I feel pretty comfortable the sprint distance from an "endurance race" point of view, but wow, there is a lot of stuff I didn't know, much less even thought to consider: what to expect in the transition area, whether or not you need a wet suit, why open water is so much different than a pool, what "drafting" is and why it's illegal in most races, why you should really consider getting the shoe clip thingys for your bike so your legs are still working for your run, etc.

Anyway, I know a couple of you are in IL, the lecture was given by Together We Tri (http://togetherwetri.com/). It was $10 and totally worth it. I'm not sure if there are anymore scheduled at the moment, but if you're as "green" as I am, it might be worth looking into other groups for the same type of thing or shooting Together We Tri an email to see if they will be scheduling more. They also have "drop ins" for their brick workouts (it's like $15 or something) and I may do one of those.

Have a good day everyone!  

2008-05-15 9:53 AM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI

hey Mitch - i live in Dearborn Heights, work in Plymouth and workout out in Livinia.  I use to be in Troy all the time, i use to date someone that lived there.  maybe we can work something out.  Do you know of any talks like what lou went to, but in our area.  I think that would be good for me to attend to gain more info!  What events are you signed up for?

John - come on give it try...take one for the team!!!!!

Lou - sound like you learned a lot of info, how did you find out about that?  i would love to see if they have anything like that in our area.

It's almost the weekend!!

2008-05-15 10:56 AM

Chicago, IL

Jennifer - I am like an internet junkie -- researching my training is a huge hobby (ahem -- time waster) of mine. I'm also a habitual "joiner" so the fact that I'm not training with a group for this triathlon has prompted me seek out activities (like this forum, the lecture, swim lessons) that will supplement my individual training and give me a sense of "I'm not alone," without spending a ton of money (until I know I'm in love with it). Plus, I've been involved with an endurance sports group here in Chicago for running, but they also have a lot of triathlon/cycling/swimming resources.

I would start by searching the internet to see if there is a triathlon club in the Detroit area (I lived in Royal Oak while I was interning with GM like a million years ago, and I believe you're not too far outside that area). They will probably either have clinics or know where you can find one. Sometimes triathlon groups are attached to a gyms or athletic clubs. Also, if you have Fleet Feet stores or some other major running or multisport chain, they probably have resources as well. Also, I don't know what Tri you are training for, but the Danskin one that I am doing in Pleasant Prairie, WI also holds clinics at REI stores in areas near the race sites. Just a few thoughts. I hope you find something!

2008-05-15 12:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

Hi everyone!

Boy am I ever glad it's almost the weekend - busy week as usual.  Plus, this Sunday I'm running my first ever half-marathon, so I'm very excited about that.  Mentally I'm ready, but who knows what my legs will do!

John - Yeah, no excuses allowed here!  There are a lot of different kinds of bike trainers.  I have a CycleOps Magneto trainer which has worked well for me.  A friend sold it to us gently used, but I've seen them in Dick's Sporting Goods and of course my local bike shop.

Jennifer - No problem!  I'm glad this group has motivated you to go that extra mile!  I've found that knowing others will be holding you somewhat accountable is a great push to get out the door and push it that much harder!

Marcy - You're welcome.  There's tons of gray areas and misinformation out there about supplements, so it's definitely a good idea to be well-informed before trying something!  Even in the case of supplements that likely aren't harmful - they still cost money!  So definitely good to ask before you shell out $$ for something that may not have anything other than a placebo effect (if that).  As for dogs, that's what I do anytime I encounter a dog while running or riding - I stop.  It's also good to not make eye contact.  So far that has worked for me every time.  Once the dog has calmed down and wandered away from me, I'll start walking again slowly til the dog appears to have completely lost interest in me - then I'll run again.  I don't know about barking at the dog....lol...I think the dog would laugh at me.

Anyone else have fun and exciting plans for this weekend?

2008-05-15 6:13 PM

Master
John - I have a Kurt Kinetic trainer and I think its great. There's a lot of research and review on line re: the Kurt Kinetic. It has a power curve that mimics that of road riding.
2008-05-15 7:58 PM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI

Hey lou and laura thanks for the info!!!   I've finally be able to sit down and look up some info..and i found a club that i'm lookig inot called FAST.  They offer clinics..which i think would really help.  Like i haev said before i have never seem a tri or dont know anyone who has done one so i have a ton of questions.

Mitch - have you heard of them?  the have a site that I went on..they are going differnt clinics, meet up for runs, swims and biking...i want some more info on them though

Just found out that the tri that i was thinking about doing is closed.  I was excited casue it was less of a swim..only 400 m, but i guess i'll haev to wait till next year do to taht one.  I think that i may attend, and i can cheer on all the BT memebrs...a ton of the are entering it!  I think if i go and watch one that it may help with all the questions that I have. 

John - hope the rain held off for you....i didnt have swim class tonight!!!  my legs got a day off..a well need day off!!!

Everyone have a great weekend!!!!!!

GO WINGS!!!

2008-05-15 8:04 PM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI

P.S.  does anyone know why when you send a personal msg. to someone why sometimes it doesn go through.  There is another member on here who workout right down the street form the Y that i go to.  She sent me a msg and I hit reply and did my msg.  i went to send it to her and its been sitting in my outbox.  I dont know why it won't go through...any ideas??  I have this problem with her and then the was another lady who belongs to the FAST club, i want to ask her when the next clinic was but the msg wont go either...some msg. work and some dont..any pointers? 

Oh and because i'm talking about problems... i can get my pic to go on either...it keeps telling me error.  I know I sound like i never worked a computer before but i swear that i am pretty good with them just on this site im havin' big problems....sorry and hope someone can help!

2008-05-15 8:10 PM

Regular
Hockeytown, MI

ok, now i feel stupid, i just went to my outbox and saw Messages stay in your outbox until they have been read by their recipient. silly silly me

But still having problems with the pic Frown

2008-05-15 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1405841

Master
I've heard of FAST but not much more. I'm still pretty new to the whole thing having done my fist tri last September. A lot of the swim portions are 500M....so don't feel bad about missing the 400M tri. My first race this will be Big Fish on June 22.
2008-05-15 9:31 PM

Regular
Chicago

HI,

Lou and others in Chicago/Illinois - I've heard of Together We Tri, but had thought it was associated with a particular athletic club. Do you have to be a member of that athletic club in order to join in on most of the events and training?

Also, I've heard that the Chicago Tri Club might be good to check out. Has anyone shown up for any of their events? I was thinking about going to their June meeting just to check it out.

2008-05-15 9:35 PM

Regular
Chicago

Oh and a point of inspiration...

A couple days ago when I was swimming I met the lady next to me who looked like a great athlete. Turns out she wins the Chicago Triathlon for her age group the past few years. I couldn't believe it when she told me she was 60! She looked about 40.

I so want to be like that when I am 60!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Runnerg1rl7's Group!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 12