of 14

2008-12-26 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1872355

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: RunnerX's Group - CLOSED

Rollers, huh?   Cool.

Well, I suppose I already got my gifts - my new P2C (which I get fitted for next week).  Plus got some nice accessories which should be arriving in a day or so - the cyclocomputer, the pedals, the upgraded tires.  What I really want is to be over and done with my knee issue.  Heading back to the ART doc today.  It's healing, but sloooooowly.  Sucks getting old... 

Hope everyone else got some cool toys.  You're all not fattening up like I am, are you? 

2008-12-26 7:13 PM
in reply to: #1872355

User image

Pro
NJ

Rollers sound very cool. I tried a friend's once and felt pretty silly.  Sounds like you got the hang of it.   I got the Garmin 305....price came down about 50%.  Such a deal, I bought one for my nephew so he can teach me how to use mine.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.  Kim

2008-12-27 1:48 AM
in reply to: #1870189

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Jayfoe - 2008-12-24 8:12 AM

Monday the 21st was my first day in the pool. I just swam 100 yards at a time with a 2 min rest in between for a total of 600 yds, and today my arms are sore. I really need to get some lessons, that is the plan for the first part of January. Spent the time in the water working on techniques that I read on the internet, but I know I am still not doing it right. I still feel like I am swimming to fast and can't catch my breath. 

I started a tri training course in August and the first swimming session, I could not do 50m without panicing about the depth of water under me and gasping for breath because it was such a long way.  The next day, I couldn't raise my arms properly they were so sore. At the end of six weeks, I was swimming about 1500m during the hour's training and my arms look gorgeous.  Still slow and splashy but I can get it done. It'll come, I can highly recommend some coaching, helped me no end.  Hang in there and let us know how it progresses.

2008-12-28 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1856606

Slidell/Pearl River
ok so the first time i tried to get off the bike and run i went 18 mi on bike then tried to run and almost fell on my face!   backed off and went 6 mi then ran 1/2 mi and felt much better, today went 12 mi on bike then ran 1 mile and felt good, its hard as hell as first but seem to get used to it pretty quick...  gonna need to keep increasing though if im gonna race in a month!
2008-12-29 12:44 PM

Extreme Veteran

Started officially training for the Long Island Marathon today, it was grueling:  Rest.  Hal Higdon sure knows how to kick off 18 weeks of hard work.

I also started logging my food intake yesterday.  It can be really eye opening when you see the calorie content of some things (i.e. 600 cal for an eggnog latte)  Now I just have to stay honest and log everything and see what works.

2008-12-29 3:21 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
I started my training plan today myself.  Theoretically, was supposed to be a rest day, but the sun was shining - had to get out on my bike.  Aerobic ride - 12 miles worth. 

2008-12-30 7:21 AM

New user

I am working 12 hour shifts through Thursday, so my training is going to be on hold until Friday. I know I could do something after I get home at 06:00pm, but the wife has dinner on the table when I walk through the door and my daughter wants to play. Gotta' have some quality home too. I promise back to the pool on Friday though.

I am still planning to race in my first mini sprint on Feb 1st. What is the proper attire for this type of race? (it is also a reverse Tri: run, bike, swim) My plan is Tri shorts under a pair of winter riding tights. On top under armour coldgear mock, windproof/warm riding jacket, gloves. I guess for this type of race, you can pack everything on from the beginning and strip it off as needed until you get to the pool.

In normal sprints do guys where tri singlets or some kind of shirts while swimming or do these just get in the way?

2008-12-30 8:26 AM

User image

Pro
NJ

Recieved the attached from a friend.  Now some of you live in lovely, warm places and will find this irrelevant.  For those of us that will be training in cold/wet/frozen places, thought you might find useful. (you could probably substitute Playstation's Dance/Dance Revolution for the last one.)

Winter Running Tips

STRONG AND STEADY

How to avoid slips, falls, and other winter woes.

By Nikki Kimball

Photographs by Steve Boyle

From the January 2009 issue of Runner's World

Running on wet, snowy, or icy roads makes us vulnerable to slips and falls. But if you work on improving your proprioception-the ability to sense the position and movement of the body-you'll improve your balance and reduce your risk of taking a spill while running outside. Do these easy exercises once or twice a week after an easy run.

*Hold steady:* Stand on one foot

<
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--11897-0,00.html>.

When that becomes easy, close your eyes and hold for 20 seconds. Do four repetitions on each leg.

*Hop to it:* Standing on one foot, hop side to side and then forward and back, regaining full balance each time you land. Do this for 20 seconds on each leg. Once you can do four reps with good stability, move on.

*Play by the numbers:* Place five pieces of tape, numbered one to five, on the floor within hopping distance of each other. Hop on one leg from one piece of tape to another in any sequence. Then have a friend call out the numbers you should hop to so you can learn to move quickly in unexpected directions. Practice on each foot for a minute. Take a 30-second break, then repeat.

Nikki Kimball, a physical therapist in Bozeman, Montana, was named USATF's Ultrarunner of the Year three times.

2008-12-30 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1877350

User image

Master
New Jersey
Jayfoe - 2008-12-30 8:21 AM

I am working 12 hour shifts through Thursday, so my training is going to be on hold until Friday. I know I could do something after I get home at 06:00pm, but the wife has dinner on the table when I walk through the door and my daughter wants to play. Gotta' have some quality home too. I promise back to the pool on Friday though.

I am still planning to race in my first mini sprint on Feb 1st. What is the proper attire for this type of race? (it is also a reverse Tri: run, bike, swim) My plan is Tri shorts under a pair of winter riding tights. On top under armour coldgear mock, windproof/warm riding jacket, gloves. I guess for this type of race, you can pack everything on from the beginning and strip it off as needed until you get to the pool.

In normal sprints do guys where tri singlets or some kind of shirts while swimming or do these just get in the way?

Oh sure, you couldn't just do the "normal" type of race, huh?   Wink

Yes to the tri shorts under the tights.  And the only thing I would consider changing is the jacket.  I would imagine you're going to get very warm on the run, then you might want to throw on a jacket or vest because the wind is going to chill you.  but if it it's cold enough and the run is short enough, i suppose the jacket during the run is ok too. 

As for your question, yes most guys will wear a tri-singlet under the wetsuit.  I've sometimes found that the singlet gets caught in my zipper, so I've gone shirtless under the wetsuit and put it on in T1 - but that was with a regular running singlet, not a snug tri one.  In either case, it doesn't take too much extra time. 

And good for you on keeping your priorities at home!!!  That will all pay off in the end. 

2008-12-30 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1877350

Extreme Veteran
Jayfoe - 2008-12-30 8:21 AM

Your enemy won't be the cold - it will be the wet.  If possible, try to get out of as much running clothes as you can before the bike - new shirt, jacket, tights.

Where are you located?  Florida cold is not so bad as North Dakota cold.

Open water swim?

2008-12-30 12:04 PM

New user

I live in Indiana on the Kentucky border ( I work in Louisville, Ky). The run and bike will be outdoor and the swim will be indoors. Last year for this same race the temperature was 13 degrees, so it is going to be very cold.  I agree the wet may be a problem but the cold is still going to suck.

2008-12-30 10:18 PM

User image

Hey Guys! I have been a bad team member thus far. At any rate, thanks for all the encouragement. I have been doing a swell job at working out. THAT much is true. At any rate, I had a check-up on my knee today and I was told that I HAVE to work on strengthening my knee more. Also, I have to "bike my of." My dr. turns out to be a professional triathlete coach and has done ironmans, etc. So that's really cool.

ANYWAY--I go back in six weeks and my plan is to, in that time, bike at least 3x a week and swim at least 3x a week. I also have to make sure and do PT and to strengthen my core and arms, etc. How does this sound to you guys?

Thanks!

Also, I need to buy a bike . . . he suggest bikesdirect.com. Anyone?

2008-12-31 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1879047

User image

Master
New Jersey
tri_jean - 2008-12-30 11:18 PM

Also, I need to buy a bike . . . he suggest bikesdirect.com. Anyone?

I'm surprised that your Ironman Doctor would suggest getting a bike online.  Bike fit is very important.  I would think heading into your local bike shop would be the best bet so you can ride the different brands and see which ones feel good to you.  Know what your budget is before going in.  Of course, you could always test some bikes, then buy them cheaper online, but then you would still need to get a bike fit too, which would be covered if you bought the bike locally.

What type of bike are you looking for anyway?  Road?  Tri?

2008-12-31 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1880028

User image

I don't know what kind of bike to get. I am--literally--clueless. Hahaha. Uhm . . . uh . . . anyone? I guess a road bike? I am NOT sure.

Something inexpensive definitely. I am NOT loaded. Or semi-loaded. Hahaha.

2008-12-31 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
x2 on the LBS suggestion.  Yes, you might be able to get a better price, but you are also buying service.  Fit is critical to comfort on a bike, esp as you add mileage.  This is a good time of year to look for a bike.  Just like car dealers, they are looking to move out last year's models.  You might even find a stray '07 lying around for even cheaper.  As for a road or tri bike, you will probably get more out of a road bike.  If you're thinking of doing group rides, road is the way to go.  Most bike clubs give tri bikes the hairy eyeball treatment.  My husband and I moved from flat-bar commuter bikes to tri bikes this summer.  We love the tri bikes, but we don't do group rides and if we ride with other people, it's people from the tri club.  Good luck on the shopping.  Buying a bike is so fun! 
2009-01-01 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1880365

User image

Master
New Jersey

Agreed about choosing a road bike.  Much more versatile.  You can always add the aerobars later, but certainly if you're planning on any group rides, or just riding around, the road bike is the better option.  The tri bike will be specific to tri's.  I have both and I plan on doing most of my riding on the road bike. 

There are many different brands and basically you'll find one that suits your body type.  I could tell you Cervelo or Specialized, etc., but what might be good for one person might not be for you.  When i was shopping for my first bike, the salesman had me test out different brands - regardless of price range.  Once I found one that seemed to be comfortable for me, then we talked price range and figured out which model within that brand worked for me. 

Generally, you'll get what you pay for.  As you go up in price, you'll get less for each buck you spend.  But a decent entry level bike would probably go about $800.  Don't forget, you'll need the accessories too - pedals, shoes, bike computer.

2009-01-02 6:06 AM
in reply to: #1880225

Extreme Veteran
tri_jean - 2008-12-31 3:51 PM

I don't know what kind of bike to get. I am--literally--clueless. Hahaha. Uhm . . . uh . . . anyone? I guess a road bike? I am NOT sure.

Something inexpensive definitely. I am NOT loaded. Or semi-loaded. Hahaha.

Go to the LBS and ask them about used bikes.  Tell them you're thinking about buying used and ask them what frame size bike you should look and see how much a tune-up and fit would be.

They will be OK with that because they'll be getting your service $$$ and know that good service will probably line them up for a future purchase.

And from everything I've seen - for the first year, just get a bike, any bike.  I'll be doing my first two tri's on an old mountain bike (which BTW, will be getting its first really use in training for these tri's).  Look on Craigslist for something local and cheap affordable.

2009-01-02 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia

My knee improved exponentially as soon as I bought a bike

I have to agree with going for a road bike. What you are spending money on is not the brand or the paint job but the fit and the components. You can feel a big difference switching gears on a cheaper components to a higher quality one. Look for and aluminum frame with carbon front forks and  Shimano 105 or Ultegra deraillers (the parts that shift the gears-- in order of quality and price Shimano's come in: Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace).  With a rehab knee you will probably want a triple (three rings in the front)- the bike may be a bit heavier but you can spin up EVERY hill. Your knee will thank you, trust me. If you don't get a triple, look for a compact crank on know that you will be investing in one later on, like I had to.

LBS should  prioritize creating customer loyalty so whether or not you buy a bike from them get to know the people at the shop. Baked goods do wonders   I've gotten spare parts out of the junk drawers at my LBS and they've done me huge favors.

For going the online route on parts and bikes check out performancebike.com and probikekit.com I bought my bike from performance bikes and then got it fitted locally and swapped the stem and the bars for a better fit. But all together the bike was still cheaper than buying it in canada.

Also almost every standard handlebar width that comes with a new bike are too wide for women.  If you get fitted at a local shop make sure they check that and ask them for a deal on the new bars. Your back and shoulders and elbows will thank you.  Also, ask the LBS to fit you when you buy the bike and ask them if they will REFIT you for free in a few months. (it never hurts to ask). You have to get a few hundred miles in before you can really feel where it doesn't feel right.  Toes going numb, left shoulder gets sore ect. Be totally open and honest.  "yeah, I've got some painful chafing going on from the nose of my saddle...." ect. If investing in clipless pedals make sure they will fit your cleats as well-- MAJORLY IMPORTANT WITH YOUR KNEE!  Also ask for a free tune up after a couple hundred miles because all the cables will stretch fairly quickly on a new bike.

have fun shopping!!

Edited by KrazyLegs 2009-01-02 11:23 AM
2009-01-02 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1882704

User image

Master
New Jersey
KrazyLegs - 2009-01-02 12:08 PM

Be totally open and honest.  "yeah, I've got some painful chafing going on from the nose of my saddle...."

Yeah it's funny how you can get EXTREMELY personal within the triathlon community and no one even bats an eye.  Try talking like that in your workplace!! Smile

2009-01-03 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Podcast suggestion!  Somewhere on here I read about cycling podcast and I tried it tonight.  It's on Itunes (for free) and it's called The Sufferfest.  This week's workout was an interval session; warm-up, intervals of 1:1 and a cool-down.  45 min total.  Not a real professional production, but a decent workout.  A good diversion from HGTV or Discovery channel.  I just downloaded it to my laptop and played it from there. 

2009-01-04 2:13 AM
in reply to: #1884496

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
rowdypaint - 2009-01-03 3:24 PM

Podcast suggestion!  Somewhere on here I read about cycling podcast and I tried it tonight.  It's on Itunes (for free) and it's called The Sufferfest.  This week's workout was an interval session; warm-up, intervals of 1:1 and a cool-down.  45 min total.  Not a real professional production, but a decent workout.  A good diversion from HGTV or Discovery channel.  I just downloaded it to my laptop and played it from there. 

So cool!  thanks! It annoys me that the spinnerval and CTS videos are just a recording of a room ful of people on trainers.  this is way better.

2009-01-04 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1884496

User image

Pro
NJ
rowdypaint - 2009-01-03 6:24 PM

Great suggestion on the podcast.

Questions for the group on nutrition....what do you do for pre/post workout nutrition?  For morning runs, I tend to roll out of bed, put the shoes on and go.  Breakfast after the workout. Not the best, but I'm already up before 5am.   For long workouts, I like a bottle of endurox post.  For short runs etc I tend to skip it.  Thoughts?

2009-01-04 12:03 PM
in reply to: #1885280

Extreme Veteran
kcarroll - 2009-01-04 12:51 PM

Questions for the group on nutrition....what do you do for pre/post workout nutrition?  For morning runs, I tend to roll out of bed, put the shoes on and go.  Breakfast after the workout. Not the best, but I'm already up before 5am.   For long workouts, I like a bottle of endurox post.  For short runs etc I tend to skip it.  Thoughts?

I'm in the same boat as you - up early and right out the door.  Typically my runs are less than an hour so I do OK.  I'm starting to do longer weekend runs so I think I'll be trying a gel washed down with some water before running.  As I start running past 12 miles, I'll probably bring a gel or energy drink along.

Post-workout is usually cold cereal, fruit and some protein.

2009-01-04 12:52 PM

Extreme Veteran

The first week of marathon training is in the books.  I don't know why, but I was REALLY tired all week.  I had a good base so its not like I wasn't used to running.  Oh well.  Did my long run this morning after breakfast - my route came up .3 miles short but I just didn't want to run around the block again.

Week 2 of 18 starts tomorrow with a grueling day of rest.

And I'll be scoping out a gym with a pool after work to see what its like. 

2009-01-04 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1885295

User image

Master
New Jersey
bwingate - 2009-01-04 1:03 PM
kcarroll - 2009-01-04 12:51 PM

I'm in the same boat as you - up early and right out the door.  Typically my runs are less than an hour so I do OK.  I'm starting to do longer weekend runs so I think I'll be trying a gel washed down with some water before running.  As I start running past 12 miles, I'll probably bring a gel or energy drink along.

Post-workout is usually cold cereal, fruit and some protein.

I've heard people say try to do as much you can on an empty stomach, but that's the minority.  Taking a gel is perfect.  I know I prefer it.  Gives you that boost of energy so you don't fade on the run.  If going long, try taking in 100 calories about every 45 minutes.  (1 gel = 100 calories)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunnerX's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14