of 22

2009-01-01 7:47 PM
in reply to: #1856717

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Subject: RE: Amschrod's Group - FULL

Happy New Year!

I started the year off with a 60 min. treadmill run (6.18 mi.--Paula, I envy your speed!).  I've decided I really need to get tougher and run outside in the cold (11 degrees this am when I went to the gym.)  The problem with running at the gym is that even though I ran an hour, I was gone for 2 with travel and incidental time.  I don't mind the cold so much, I just get scared when there is snow that I am going to slip!!

Have a wonderful night!

2009-01-01 7:50 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Kelly,

I admire your ablility to run on a treadmill for more than 30 seconds!  I hate them!!!  Although it was cold here- 27 degrees is a nice balmy morning for you guys right now! At least I dont have to deal with snow.  That's why I left NY as soon as I could!

Have a great evening!

Paula

2009-01-02 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1881775

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-01 8:47 PM

Happy New Year!

I started the year off with a 60 min. treadmill run (6.18 mi.--Paula, I envy your speed!).  I've decided I really need to get tougher and run outside in the cold (11 degrees this am when I went to the gym.)  The problem with running at the gym is that even though I ran an hour, I was gone for 2 with travel and incidental time.  I don't mind the cold so much, I just get scared when there is snow that I am going to slip!!

I know what you mean. I don't mind the cold because I have the right clothes to keep me comfortable, but I do worry about slipping. The last couple of days it has been so cold that the roads never really get clear, especially with the wind and blowing snow. I am due for new running shoes, so I think I will get some"Yak Trax" at the same time.

Anthony

2009-01-02 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1881779

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2009-01-01 8:50 PM

Kelly,

I admire your ablility to run on a treadmill for more than 30 seconds!  I hate them!!!

Me too!!

Although it was cold here- 27 degrees is a nice balmy morning for you guys right now! At least I dont have to deal with snow.  That's why I left NY as soon as I could!

The taxes are more of an issue for me

Anthony

2009-01-02 9:57 AM
in reply to: #1881690

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2009-01-01 7:51 PM

Happy New Year!

I hope to make 2009 the year of the "NEW"- I am trying a new sport of Triathlons, getting a new bike, hopefully new clothes to go with my new slimmer body with new muscles, and some new friends.

You are definitely "rocking on". Congrats!

I had a nice 6 mile tempo run in the cold wind this morning.  I averaged 8:47 which is 10 seconds slower than my goal pace for the run but I still was pleased.  If I can just keep this up, I should break the 2 hour mark in my 1/2 in Feb.

Nice run. Keep up the good work and you will achieve your goal

Tomorrow I plan to meet up with a local multisport group for a swim session.  Should be interesting, I have been alone in my tiny pool at my gym for the last few weeks.  This gym has a real pool with people who actually swim!  The local YMCA is starting their  TRI training group to the tune of $558 for jan- sept!  I am glad there is a new tri store that is offering the training group for free!

Sounds intersting; I am looking forward to hearing about it.

Tomorrow also starts the registration for the local races.  They fill up fast so you have to make the decisions now for the first few races.  I am thinking of a sprint in March.  That should be enough time to at least be comfortable finishing right?  I want to get one under my belt before the big one in May that I will be focusing on.  It's a 300 m pool swim, 10 mile bike and 5K.  Its a month after my 1/2 marathon- I think I will be fine but since I have never done one I am not sure

You will definitely finish comfortably. Make sure to get in some brick workouts (short run after a bike ride), because the first few times you run after riding are interesting.

Anthony

2009-01-02 10:10 AM

User image

Hey Anthony

I can see your new avatar now, nice picture

I know what you mean about bricks too. The first time I tried my legs felt like lead, I was amazed how heavy they were. I got a few tips from a youtube video though about stretching your legs out while riding and that seemed to help. I will search for it again and post it when I find it

J

2009-01-02 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1882608

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-02 11:10 AM

I know what you mean about bricks too. The first time I tried my legs felt like lead, I was amazed how heavy they were. I got a few tips from a youtube video though about stretching your legs out while riding and that seemed to help. I will search for it again and post it when I find it

J

For bricks I almost always do a short (1or 2 mile) run after my weekly long bike ride. I always loosen up my legs over the last mile or so of my ride. First of all I spin by going into easier gears and increasing my cadence. I also stand up when I can coast to stretch out my legs, and I sort of press down on my heels to stretch out my calves because they always seem a little tight. It did take a little while to get acclimated to running off the bike both physically and mentally. I'm also not very flexible to begin with, and I am not as young as I used to be, but those little things work well for me. I also do the same thing in races.

Anthony

2009-01-02 6:58 PM

User image

Plans for the weekend?

Saturday I am going to try a new sufferfest podcast video

Sunday morning long slow run, well at least an hour + of plodding

Have a good one

J

2009-01-02 7:45 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

I think I might have a problem!  I have not even done one tri yet but have signed up for 2 and will sign up for another tomorrow as soon as registration is open!  Seriously, I just spent $1000 on a bike plus more for gear and I havent even sat on it yet!!  I feel like a 6 year old at christmas, waiting for all the good toys and stuff. I might kiss the UPS driver that delivers all my goodies. I have not been this passionate about something in a long time.  It feels good right now, just hope once i start i feel the same way.  Is this normal behavior???  Am I getting in over my head?

My hubby and I had a nice talk over a few beers (aka truth serum) this evening.  He is totally on board with me training and helping me the best he can.  I am very fortunate that we have the relationship that we do.  We agree to each do what we want as long as the bills are paid and we have quality time together when possible.

Sorry for the rant-

Paula

2009-01-02 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Oh, Paula,  just wait until you do one.  You are going to love it!!  (I would maybe abstain from kissing the ups man, though, if you want your husband to keep on being so supportive! )

I have some big news!!!!!!  My husband has been looking at tri bikes for his first season, and he came home tonight and told me that I get one too!!  I am totally stunned.  Now I have to figure out what I want. (I posted over on the main page too, but wanted to tell you guys personally.

It's like a second Christmas!!

2009-01-02 8:35 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

It is like christmas all over again!!  Congrats on the new bike!!!!!

I had the hardest decision about which bike to get.  It was harder not knowing anything about them, but with the help of my hubby ( long time bike enthusiest) I think I made the right decision.  I really wanted to support the local shops- especially since I know 2 people that work at one of them- but in the end, it came down to what I could get for my money.  I went with the Motobecane gigi pro from bikesdirect.com.  For $1000 delivered (hopefully by tues) I got a wsd with 105/ultegra level components, aluminum frame with carbon fork -http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/gigi_pro.htm

Might not impress the bike snobs but I probably saved over $500.  I will update you when I get it and test her out.

Good luck with your quest for new wheels!!

Paula

2009-01-02 9:15 PM

User image

Hey you guys are making me jealous with all this bike talk! Wink

I will be looking for my own bike sometime early this coming year. I have pretty much decided on a standard road bike first, it will be a while before I commit to a tri bike. Let me race a tri first!

At the moment I have a borrowed bike from a colleague at work who just doesn't use it - don't ask me why he bought this but he did, way out of my league though

This is not the actual bike but it looks like this without the tri bars

J

Orbea onix
2009-01-03 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Well, my husband ended up getting a great deal on a new '07 Cervelo P2 SL from our LBS today.  I met him there with the kids and we traded, but they didn't have anything that fit me except for the bike my hubby bought!!

I came right home and found a fantastic deal on a '08 Cervelo P2SL online ($1200).  So I ordered it.  It should be here mid-week!!  I'm so excited.  Kel's (that's my husband, yes, his name is Kelly too) is a beautiful matte black and mine will be bright yellow (and superfast!)  I'll take pics when it comes!

Have a great weekend.

Oh, yeah...my workouts...kind of got overshadowed by the bike.  I had a great 90 min. spin class today, and I'm going to try to do a long run tomorrow.

2009-01-03 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1883414

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-02 8:54 PM

Oh, Paula,  just wait until you do one.  You are going to love it!!  (I would maybe abstain from kissing the ups man, though, if you want your husband to keep on being so supportive! )

Yes, there is nothing quite like race day. For me the fun starts while I'm still driving to the event because, as you get closer, you start seeing more bikes on other cars. Then you get there and there are all these other athletes of all different abilities, and the vast majority of them are totally cool and supportive. Then, the race finally starts, and you get to put all the training to work and see how hard you can push yourself. Even for BOPer's like me, there is always someone of similar ability that you can race against, trying to pass them, or keep from getting passed. Hard to describe, and I'm probably not doing a very good job, but races are really a blast!

Judging from your treadmill comments, I also have a feeling you are going to like being "out and about" on your bike.

BTW, I wouldn't mind my wife kissing the UPS guy IF he were bringing a bike so my wife could join me cycling

Anthony

2009-01-03 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1883568

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-02 10:15 PM

Hey you guys are making me jealous with all this bike talk! Wink

I will be looking for my own bike sometime early this coming year. I have pretty much decided on a standard road bike first, it will be a while before I commit to a tri bike. Let me race a tri first!

At the moment I have a borrowed bike from a colleague at work who just doesn't use it - don't ask me why he bought this but he did, way out of my league though

This is not the actual bike but it looks like this without the tri bars

J

Orbea onix

That is a great bike. I wish I could try it!

Anthony

2009-01-03 3:42 PM
in reply to: #1884336

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-03 3:39 PM

Well, my husband ended up getting a great deal on a new '07 Cervelo P2 SL from our LBS today.  I met him there with the kids and we traded, but they didn't have anything that fit me except for the bike my hubby bought!!

I came right home and found a fantastic deal on a '08 Cervelo P2SL online ($1200).  So I ordered it.  It should be here mid-week!!  I'm so excited.  Kel's (that's my husband, yes, his name is Kelly too) is a beautiful matte black and mine will be bright yellow (and superfast!)  I'll take pics when it comes!

WOW! The P2SL is a GREAT bike. When I was getting  my tri bike last year, it was between the p2SL and Kuota K-Factor. I ended up getting the K-Factor because the fit is a little more "relaxed" and worked a little better for an inflexible old man like me.

BTW, it's only January 3rd, but your husband and Paula's husband are clearly frontrunners for hubby of the year!!

Anthony

2009-01-03 9:46 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

My hubby should get some honors today.  He decided to join me on my 6 mile run this morning.  It was supposed to be a slow one at 9:22 pace.  Well, I felt good and secretly wanted to average 9 min/mile because that is my race pace so I picked it up a bit.  We burned the last mile in 8:29, much to his dismay.  He did really well keeping up since he hasnt really run much in the last 2 years but has run with me several times in the last few weeks.  I know it sounds horrible, but I like the fact that I am faster and have better endurance than he does right now.  Since he will kick my butt on the bike, i need to have something I am good at!

After signing up for these races and looking at the calendar- I dont know when I am going to fit in time for my surf kayaking.  We are so tide and swell dependent that you cant really plan too far a head.  It will be hard to run 10 miles and try to surf for a few hours in the same day.  Since I spent a good chunk of change on a new boat last year, I feel I need to find a balance.  Good thing we dont have kids!

Congrats on the new bike- Hope yours gets there fast!

Paula

2009-01-04 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

I hope everyone had a nice weekend.  No long run for me today.  I forgot that I had a flute quartet rehearsal at 2:30 today, so my hubby got to go to the gym, but not me .  I probably could use a recovery day anyway, I just wasn't planning on it being today.

I also wanted to let you guys know that I have started a blog called "My life as a trimommy". 

www.trimommylife.blogspot.com

Please take a look if you feel like it!!  Have a great week.

2009-01-05 12:31 PM

User image

No training here for the past weekend. I suffered an injury on Saturday and it has thrown things off. I smacked up little toe on the door frame of the bathroom, just being clumsy and I should have turned the light on. Anyway it is good and bruised and the nail is just about hanging in there but it looks like it may come off! As you can imagine walking is bad enough but running is out

Woe is me

J

2009-01-05 9:38 PM

User image

Expert

Hey everyone. I sort of disappeared for the last couple of days, but I didn't run away. Sunday and Monday are my days off from work, so naturally those are the 2 busiest days of the week for me. Then, when I came down to the computer I got an emergency call from a patient. Luckily, I don't have to see her tonight. Hopefully, when I get back to work tomorrow I will be able to rest a little!

Had a nice long run yesterday that was the last of 3 weeks of building, so this week is an easier recovery week. I have a 5K on Sunday with the local runner's club, but I will run it fairly easy. It's very nice having a race less than 5 miles from home.

Hope you all had a good weekend!

Anthony

Edited by amschrod 2009-01-05 9:39 PM
2009-01-05 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1885570

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-04 5:10 PM

I hope everyone had a nice weekend.  No long run for me today.  I forgot that I had a flute quartet rehearsal at 2:30 today, so my hubby got to go to the gym, but not me .  I probably could use a recovery day anyway, I just wasn't planning on it being today.

I also wanted to let you guys know that I have started a blog called "My life as a trimommy". 

www.trimommylife.blogspot.com

Please take a look if you feel like it!!  Have a great week.

I didn't know you played the flute. That's pretty cool! Now you have inspired me to get some new music for the office. We have the Mozart Flute Quartet in C which is pretty well known, but that's about it for anything specifically for flute. Well, we have a couple of Jethro Tull songs in the playlist, but that doesn't really count as flute music If you have any suggestions I would like to hear them.

Your blog looks pretty good!

Anthony

2009-01-05 9:51 PM
in reply to: #1886995

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-05 1:31 PM

No training here for the past weekend. I suffered an injury on Saturday and it has thrown things off. I smacked up little toe on the door frame of the bathroom, just being clumsy and I should have turned the light on. Anyway it is good and bruised and the nail is just about hanging in there but it looks like it may come off! As you can imagine walking is bad enough but running is out

OUCH! Hope it gets better soon. Any chance you can get some swimming in?

Anthony

2009-01-06 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1888447

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington

Hi Gang,

I hope you're all doing well. We're still getting record snow here, so I'm gettting in some swimming and shoveling workouts. (I really hate stationary bikes and treadmills). My kiddo is sick today, so I'll do some weights and PT at home (plus more shoveling).

Kelly, I love the blog! Keep up the great work!

Jullian, sorry about your injury; does not sound like fun. Hopefully it will clear up soon.

Have a great day everyone.

Joann 

2009-01-06 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1888447

User image

Well the injured toe let me do 25 mins on the bike trainer this morning. If it looks better I will think about a swim tomorrow. The only problem I have with swimming is the pool I use uses salt as a cleanser not chlorine - lovely for keeping your skin from smelling like bleach but also great at finding any little cut and stinging like you wouldn't believe.

Here's to being brave!

J

2009-01-06 6:30 PM

User image

I would welcome opinions on this road bike. As you may know I don't have one of my own and I can't get enough cash together to afford the orbea that I have on loan but I have seen this on bikes direct and it is is my price range

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/ventnoir_jan_sale.htm

thanks on advance

J

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amschrod's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22