BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-12-29 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1875979

User image

Subject: RE:What excites you most

What excites you most and what scares you most about your first race?

Excites me:

The possibility of actually finishing all three disciplines within the allotted time.

Scares me:
Failure!

All the consistent training that is required. I am not he most consistent of people around.

The Transitions between disciples. Out pacing myself,  running out of energy these very practical things.

2008-12-31 1:16 AM
in reply to: #1857812

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!- sorry full.
Hello everyone,

Now that you have thought a little about something that scares you. What can we do to get past this so your race is more enjoyable? Prerace anxiety is pretty much unavoidable but we can still be prepared for the event. So what do we do?

Another thought is this; Last year one of my goals was to never be last. The more I thought about it I took the goal back off my goals list. It is important to realize that we have beaten so many people by just having the courage to step out the door and train. to go to the gym when we would rather stay home. A lot of people don't have the courage to do that let alone even show up on race day. So feel good for getting to where you are from where you have been and know that you have already gotten a long way toward the finish line.
2008-12-31 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!- sorry full.
Hello Everyone,
I have noticed our group has dropped off in attendance so I think I am going to open it back up for a bit. One of the things that make these groups fun is when several are involved. I certainly don't know it all and love input from others.

Have a great New Years!
2008-12-31 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Belleville
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!- Open

I agree the more input the better. I really am not intimidated by the race. I was always the type of person that performed better in competition. I just want to complete the whole race without walking basically the distance is doable.

And wanted to say Happy New Year to everyone!

2009-01-01 1:55 AM

User image

Happy New Year !!!

I have found a tri organisation here in Taipei. They also havea youth section, so in the 17th Jan, my son (15) will be attending a one day "training" time. Hopefully we will do this 'triing' together.

Enjoy the holidays and may 2009 be a good year all round.

Justin

2009-01-01 7:40 AM

User image

any room for an aussie in here?! i would love to join the group if i can.

Bit about me My name is clint screen name Malphh i have previosly done 2 sprint triathalons about 2 years ago and am currently struggling for motivation to start training again. I am 28 years old and live in Darwin in the Northern Territory of australia. A few years ago i weighed in at 113kg sorry guys not sure of the pound conversions?! but now weigh 89 kgs. My goal is to drop down to 80 kgs. For a job i am a qualified personal trainer( that does not make me as fit or strong as superman) and dealing with other peoples health and fitness quiet often has a drain on my own. So here i am Do i qualify?

2009-01-01 9:19 AM

User image

Regular
Goldsboro, NC
Happy  New Year everyone...good luck in 2009!
2009-01-01 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1880857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Welcome Clint. When you get a chance try and go back and answer a couple of the questions just to get you caught up etc. Your input as a personal trainer will be great. We look forward to having you with us.
Scott
2009-01-01 3:07 PM

User image

West Richland

Hi Scott -

Is your group still open?  I'll send more info. if you still have room.

Ruth

West Richland, WA

2009-01-01 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1881380

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hi Ruth.
Welcome to the group. You live pretty close to me. I live in Ellensburg about 1:45 away from you.

When you get a chance if you would go back and give us a profile as well as answer the "it" question as well as anything else that seems pertinent that would be great.
Scott
2009-01-01 6:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Belleville

Welcome to the group Clint and Ruth.

Happy New Year everyone!

2009-01-01 7:26 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

Welcome everyone and I hope everyone in the group had a great New Years. Mine was great.

Can't wait to cont in the new year.

Again Happy New Year

Jeff

2009-01-01 10:38 PM

User image

West Richland
<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Thanks Scott, I did notice you are from Ellensburg, part of the reason I opted for this group.  I thought it might be nice to get advice from someone who knows the races in WA state and has similar weather.

After finally reading through the entire thread I feel like I have some catching up to do.  First, my name is Ruth Taylor (BT name krtkrt), I'm 46 and a mother of 3 (23, 21 & 16).  I work at a national research lab; an architect by training.

RACES: I tried my first tri in '05 with the Chelan Try-a-Tri. (it's a sprint with a 1/4 swim for newbies.)  I finished under 2 hours, which was not too bad since I was about 40 pounds heavier than I am now.  I did no races in '06 but did deal with some health issues (insulin resistance) and was able to start taking weight off at the end of '06.  In '07 I repeated the Chelan Try-a-Tri race and took 25 minutes off my time.  At the end of the season a did the bike leg of our local Olympic distance and decided to set a goal of doing the entire race the next year.  In ’09 I did a couple of sprint distance races and finally reached my goal by completing our local Olympic distance race.  I was very slow, finished at 3:28, but I did not stop, and I was not last :-).

GOALS:  I’m not completely sure of my goals except to get more structured and focused in my training.  I just read Joe Friel’s Triathlete’s Training Bible and I’m trying to put a training plan together, modifying what he has for my skill and fitness level.   I thought the BT mentoring program might help as well.  I love to work out but know I need to do more if I want to get  faster.   I am now able to do the Olympic distance but I’m embarrassingly slow!

TRAINING:  I typically work out 4-5 times a week, just doing what I feel like, making sure I cover every sport during the week.  In winter 07/08 I focused on my run (just trying to get to where I could run 6 mi) and in the spring of ’08 I bought Terry Laughlin’s Total Immersion book and DVD.  I was able to dramatically improve my swim.  My favorite workout is my Saturday morning routine in the summer where I take my bike to the river and do all three legs back to back, just like a race.  A cool dip back in the river after the run is the best! 

WEIGHTLOSS:  Weight loss was my primary reason for starting this crazy adventure.  I have always had lots of trouble with my weight.  Controlling my insulin levels has been an absolute God-send.  I finally feel like a normal person and not held hostage by my diet.  I still need to lose another 20 pounds or so, I know this will help me get faster for sure.

OTHER POST QUESTIONS:  I think my ‘it’ is that the competition of races pushes me to work out when I don’t feel like or don’t really have the time.  I picture myself embarrassing myself in a race and I get my butt out there.  I also really like doing something different every day, it helps protect this old body from injury and keeps me from getting bored!

I think my advantage is probably my driven nature, if I set a goal I usually reach it or die trying!  My disadvantage would be my creative, spontaneous personality – I find rigor and structure a pain.  I know I will need to keep the fun in whatever structure I come up with.

The prospect of reaching my goals is always exciting -- failure, of course, is scary.

Sorry for the long post, I think I’m caught up now.  I look forward to learning from all of you.

Ruth

2009-01-01 11:01 PM

New user

Hey Scott and all the others,

I have been an avid cyclist for a number of years (I am 39 yrs old) and have decided that before I am 40 I will complete an olympic distance triathlon.  I am a Deputy Fire Chief (so you know I like punishment) and don't have a great deal of time to spend but I am dedicated to this goal.

I have a bit of running as a background with very little swimming.  

I look forward to this program, meeting and training with new people (virtual anyways) and having a good time.

Thanks,

Vern Elliott

2009-01-03 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Hi Scott.

I'm hoping you still have room in your group, it says Open. I originally joined another group, but it seems to have died out already, so...here's my story if there's still room for one more.

NAME: Karen / User Name karen26.2

STORY: I started running in my early 30's and became obsessed with marathons. After several injuries I decided to give triathlons a whirl and fell in love. Running is not something that has ever been easy for me. I am much better at swimming and biking, so the combo of the three is a great fit for me and the variety of cross training works much better for me and my bones!

I have only done triathlons for two years, mostly sprint distance. I did one olympic distance tri last year and loved it (even though there was a huge torrential storm while on the bike!). I plan to do more sprints and a few olys in 2009 and have a goal of completing my first HIM in 2009 as well.

FAMILY STATUS: I am 43, married and have an 18 year old son. We have 3 dogs, one that is a great running partner. My husband does not do triathlons...yet anyway. I'm still working on that.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently running about 4 to 5 times a week, averaging about 25 to 35 miles a week. I bike whenever I can, and try to do Spinerval DVD's in the basement when I can't get outside. Biking is by far my favorite workout. I have not been in the pool in a couple of months but hope to get back in next week.

2009 RACES: Chattanooga Oly, several local sprint distances, ING Half Marathon Atlanta, and either HIM Augusta, GA or South Carolina HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to lose about 25 pounds, it would help running feel easier I think. I know how to eat good, I just need to get a training plan going because that always motivates me to eat better.

If you still have room in your group I would love to learn from you. Nutrition & hydration are something I think I could do better with for improved training. Any advice, training plans, etc. that can help me achieve my goal of a HIM would be greatly appreciated.
2009-01-03 7:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners!
Hello everyone,
I closed the group back up since it looks like we have a full house. I am going to dinner but will write more later tonight.

Scott

Welcome to the group everyone!

2009-01-03 10:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Well there is a lot of good beginner stuff out there and I was wondering what everyone is finding.

I subscribe to Triathlete magazine and they had their beginners guide. It seemed pretty good. I was a little surprised by their bike choice but everyone has their preference. Has anyone watched the video on BT about bikes and differences between Tri and road?

How did everyone's training week go? I have been seeing some good workouts getting logged. Nice work. Does anyone have special secrets in dealing with the weather? Lots of snow and cold weather around and everyone has their coping tricks.

Also to the new editions: welcome and please fill out your profile info for us (if you haven't already) and also describe your "It" for us.

One last thing for now please add group members to your friends list. This is a great way to check in on each other and encourage each other through the week.

So far our active member list is:

Spinepa - Jeff
jtdintaipei - Justin
atostig - Chuck
moves327 - Ray
bbarr66 - Brian
Karen26.2 - Karen
kyotevern - Vern
Malphh - Clint
longrun26 - Daniel
holt1997 - Scott

A few have dropped so this is the active list thus far. Please correct me if I missed someone. Have a great night everyone and happy training.
Scott

Edited by holt1997 2009-01-04 12:45 PM
2009-01-03 10:29 PM
in reply to: #1884560

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: Welcome Karen
It is neat that you have some experience under your belt. I look forward to seeing you move to a HIM. I did my first last summer and absolutely loved it. I am sure you will too. It sounds like you have quite a few different venues available close to home. Whats the terrain like where you are at? Hilly, flat, humid, dry? etc

Well welcome to the group!

Scott
2009-01-03 10:33 PM
in reply to: #1882004

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: Welcome Vern
Vern,
Welcome to the group. Where in Canada do you live? Do you have others around you who tri? What brought you from cycling to triathlons? I hope you find this a good time.

Scott
2009-01-03 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Just a thought for everyone. Finish the following:

This year I am going to....
2009-01-03 10:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Guess I should finish my own sentence.

This year I am going to work on improving my eating habits, not necessarily to lose weight, though I hope thats a by product, but because I feel better when I eat well.

Okay your turn.

2009-01-04 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1884811

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
holt1997 - 2009-01-03 11:24 PM

Has anyone watched the video on BT about bikes and differences between Tri and road?

Scott

I did watch the video and found it very intereting. Right now I have my trusty Cannondale road bike that I have had for years. I LOVE that bike, it has worked great. But, I find that at the races that I have done, typically the only bikes that pass me are tri bikes. They seem to be gliding past me with little effort, while I'm pushing as hard as I can but can't keep up. It seems more to be the gearing or something. So it makes me wonder how much better I might do with a tri specific bike. I've talked to my LBS about tweaking my road bike with different seat post, aero bars, etc. but it can get expensive, plus I've heard it won't really feel the same.

What I didn't really know, and found out from the video, is that the positioning on a tri bike utilizes different muscles, making the run a bit easier. Now that's what I need! The run is my weakest, so any help to save energy for the run would be of benefit to me.
2009-01-04 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1884814

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Welcome Karen
holt1997 - 2009-01-03 11:29 PM

It is neat that you have some experience under your belt. I look forward to seeing you move to a HIM. I did my first last summer and absolutely loved it. I am sure you will too. It sounds like you have quite a few different venues available close to home. Whats the terrain like where you are at? Hilly, flat, humid, dry? etc

Well welcome to the group!

Scott

Thanks for making room in your group. I liked your bio because you took the plunge and did a HIM pretty quickly. I hope to do the same.

Atlanta and the surrounding areas are a great place for all kinds of races. It's pretty hilly where I live, but more rolling hills. Not any good long hills to train on unless you drive North about an hour from here. Then you can ride the hills that the Tour de Georgia guys ride. I actually did a ride this past year called 3 Gap (they have a 6 Gap but there's no way I could have survived that) where the Tour passes through. Very challenging, but I had a great time. Plan to do it again this year.

The weather here is awful in the summer. Very humid and hard to train in. Even if you get up @ 5am to run, your dripping with sweat within 5 minutes. I hate that part, but love the spring, fall and winter.
2009-01-04 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
This year I am going to lose 25 pounds, keep it off!!, complete a HIM and stay healthy.
2009-01-04 8:25 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
My "it"...

I started running to lose weight. I found that I enjoyed the time alone to clear my head, and think about anything I wanted to think about. I started doing marathons and loved the feeling of crossing that finish line. There's nothing better. I'd still be doing them if I didn't keep getting hurt. Being injured forced me to do other activities and I found I enjoyed swimming and was actually fairly decent at it. I had already biked quite a bit but running took most of my time so when I was able to get back out on my bike I remembered how much I loved to ride.

I met a runner that wanted to do a triathlon, so we both signed up. It was a sprint distance with the swim in a pool. That appealed to me because that's all I trained in. I completed that (3rd place woman overall - it was a small race but still...) and was looking for my next.

I like how I feel when I finish a workout. I may not feel like getting up early to run, or doing a hard workout on the trainer, but when I finish I feel like I can take on the world. That's why I do it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  

of 19