BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Opiejoe's Group-closed & staying on page one!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-01-13 5:07 PM
in reply to: #1859239

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Opiejoe's Group-Full
It's freezing cold here & I have to work the next 48 hrs Frown But, I will get 8 days off to go to NO 70.3 Laughing

2009-01-13 9:36 PM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Ricky

It could just be me but in your intro you stated you wanted a "very active group" and as of now it doesn't seem as though we are very active at all. This is a huge undertaking for me to try and take on an Ironman this year and I am pumped for it. I know life happens but I was hoping for a group of people that were more active. It doesn't mean that everyone isn't pumped for their year but I don't see much happening in the group right now. It may be my expectations that are out of order but just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter.
2009-01-13 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1900308

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN

fly_boy68 - 2009-01-10 9:55 PM Has anyone dealt with numb toes when riding their bike? My toes seem to go numb on all of my rides and it makes it difficult to even walk when I'm done. I am going to try some inserts or something similar. I think my shoes are the right size and I've loosened the straps also but it didn't help.

Did you ever get this figured out?  I wonder if it has more to do with bike fit?  Anyways, how is your ironman training coming?  I am doing the Louisville Ironman in August, so I am reallyjust doingsome light workouts to keep my base up following my December marathon.

2009-01-13 10:19 PM

User image

New user

Washington State

Greg, I hear you about the group not being really active. I'm not sure how I can contribute since I'm a newbie.

My trainer is in and I can't wait to use it tomorrow. Got that and a Cateye cyclocomputer. I miss my bike. I finally found a road clear enough to run on the past 2 days. Not far. Just 3.4 miles, but it felt good to get outside again.

I'm not having ANY luck losing weight. It's very frustrating. I know I've put on a couple of pound of muscle over the past month, but it's still depressing tosee the numbers on the scale. I'm okay with being a curvy Athena, but enough is enough!!

-Danna

2009-01-14 4:37 AM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Wes

I think the next thing I am going to do is get some different shoes as that seems like the obvious thing at this point. I have ridden 3 different bikes over the past 5 years, all Cervelo, but different models from P3 down to the entry level bike and had it then also. It is even worse when the weather is cold out even though I wear feet warmers/protectors during the winter time. Not sure what else to try.
2009-01-14 5:51 AM

User image

Veteran

Not sure about the toe thing. I have the same problem after long rides (3-4 hours). I attribute it to my shoes-hoping to get a new pair next month. I just started using toe warmers, but still numb at long distances.

Winter training-the highs here are low 40's for the next 4-5 days. Motivation is tough this time of year. I'll be cutting back til this weekend due to work/weather-but I do plan a 50+ bike on Sat. weather permitting.

GU sponsorship-I was awarded a elite level GU sponsorship. I'm sure the req. are not high, but hey it's a sponsorship. If anyone is interested go to there website and apply. I think they're still accepting reqquest. My level gives me a chance to buy GU products at 75% off retail. Not sure if I'll use it yet. A local bike shop aready somewhat sponsors me with powerbar products.

2009 race gear-What you gonna wear?? The wife and I are looking at 2009 2XU or 2009 Desoto. I'm thinking about a little red/black action this year.

2009-01-14 6:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Opiejoe's Group-reopened for a few more
Group is open again for ACTIVE members of all levels.
2009-01-14 6:22 AM
in reply to: #1906387

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

I would love to join.  My name is Randi and this will be my second year doing triathlons.  I am very happily married now for almost 19 years.    My husband and I participated in our first triathlon in July and had a wonderful time.   He really only wants to do the one each year. I was hooked and went on to finish a second on in September.  We have two sons, 12 and 8.  

I have always battled my weight and have a long, drawnout story about the journey that I won't bore you with but will just say that I have accepted my current weight (mostly because my Dr told me I am absolutely healthy) and am enjoying my active lifestyle for the first time in my life.

Anyway,  I have 2 sprints in the plans definitely for this upcoming season and am considering adding 1 or 2 more if I can afford them and fit them into the schedule. Mike, my husband will be doing one with me. My sons are both hoping to complete their first triathlons this year.  Now just to find the right ones for each of them.

Edited by Fechter99 2009-01-14 6:23 AM
2009-01-14 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Welcome to the group-please help keep group active and off the bottom of page two Embarassed
2009-01-14 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1906384

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN
opiejoe - 2009-01-14 5:51 AM

Not sure about the toe thing. I have the same problem after long rides (3-4 hours). I attribute it to my shoes-hoping to get a new pair next month. I just started using toe warmers, but still numb at long distances.

Winter training-the highs here are low 40's for the next 4-5 days. Motivation is tough this time of year. I'll be cutting back til this weekend due to work/weather-but I do plan a 50+ bike on Sat. weather permitting.

GU sponsorship-I was awarded a elite level GU sponsorship. I'm sure the req. are not high, but hey it's a sponsorship. If anyone is interested go to there website and apply. I think they're still accepting reqquest. My level gives me a chance to buy GU products at 75% off retail. Not sure if I'll use it yet. A local bike shop aready somewhat sponsors me with powerbar products.

2009 race gear-What you gonna wear?? The wife and I are looking at 2009 2XU or 2009 Desoto. I'm thinking about a little red/black action this year.

I also got in on the GU Sponsorship...seems like a good deal.  Since my birthday is in a coulpe weeks, I hope to have some new Desoto apparel for training and maybe some sort of speed suit for the Ironman.  I like the idea of not having to search over into page 2 for this group.

2009-01-14 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran

Do you think the speedsuit will help on the non-wetsuit swim. I've heard mixed reviews so far.

2009-01-14 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1907289

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN
opiejoe - 2009-01-14 12:45 PM

Do you think the speedsuit will help on the non-wetsuit swim. I've heard mixed reviews so far.

I don't know...I have also heard mixed reviews, but if I think it does then even the mental edge should help.   

2009-01-14 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Question #1-What will be your first race of the season?  As of now,  my first race is the NJ State Tri Sprint distance but am looking for something that I might be able to fit into the crazy schedule my family has in the spring.

Question #2-In triathlon, where can you gain the most improvment in the coming 3-4 months?  I would have to say the run since that is by far my weakest but with plantar fasciitis and runner's knee it probably will always be the weakest. 

Question #3-What motivates YOU. I mean really motivates YOU to set a goal & follow through with it? What motivates me is the feeling I get when I achieve that goal.   I am very careful about setting goals that are attainable for me but yet still offer me a challenge.  Training for and completing my first triathlon was a perfect example.  The motivation has to be purely a personal thing.  Someone challenging me or pushing me does not work.  

2009-01-14 2:12 PM
in reply to: #1907645

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN
Fechter99 - 2009-01-14 2:02 PM

Question #1-What will be your first race of the season?  As of now,  my first race is the NJ State Tri Sprint distance but am looking for something that I might be able to fit into the crazy schedule my family has in the spring.

Question #2-In triathlon, where can you gain the most improvment in the coming 3-4 months?  I would have to say the run since that is by far my weakest but with plantar fasciitis and runner's knee it probably will always be the weakest. 

Question #3-What motivates YOU. I mean really motivates YOU to set a goal & follow through with it? What motivates me is the feeling I get when I achieve that goal.   I am very careful about setting goals that are attainable for me but yet still offer me a challenge.  Training for and completing my first triathlon was a perfect example.  The motivation has to be purely a personal thing.  Someone challenging me or pushing me does not work.  

Welcome to the group!

2009-01-14 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Congratulations on the sponsorships! If you hear of anyone interested in sponsoring a middle aged, slow, slightly overweight guy let me know.

I have a couple of questions for those of you doing weight training. Are you doing it on the same day as other training? If so, what are you combining it with?

I'm also wondering about bike shoe fit. I've never been happy with the first pair of shoes I bought last year. Should they "fit" the same as running shoes or should they be tighter?

Art
2009-01-14 8:40 PM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Art

I think the shoe thing is a catch 22. If the shoe is too loose then you lose some power transfer from your legs to the pedal but if too tight then it cuts off the circulation to your toes. I may try a bigger pair, or find a pair that offers widths. I think SiDi offers widths so I might check those, but they are expensive.

Randi

Welcome to the group.

I also applied for a GU sponsorship after Ricki suggested it so we'll see if that works out or not. If it does then good if not then nothing lost. I'll let you all know. I'd like to get some type of relationship with a local bike shop to reduce costs, but I'm sure there are lots of people like me. I know my coach gets a discount at our local tri shop and all of his clients also so thats better then nothing.

Edited by fly_boy68 2009-01-14 8:41 PM

2009-01-15 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
My LBS says he cannot sponsor everyone & does not want to hurt customers feelings by only picking a few to sponsor. So, I kinda have a under-the table deal. I get all my bike stuff at basically cost(10%) & my powerbar products at cost. I even got two CASES for free last month. The catch was they were expired, but they have not killed me yet-taste the same!! All tune-ups are free for all 3 bikes. I send alot of customers his way & in return he takes care of me. I also try to wear one of his t-shirts around prior to all local events.
2009-01-15 9:45 AM

User image

Hi all team opie joe, sorry been working away quietly in the background.

Been getting swims and bikes in, also been teaching lots of group fitness classes recently, it is our busiest time of the year and i'm doing lots of walking about doing leaflet drops or outreach and been sa tin the local highstreet on spinning bikes trying to get some interest in my lesiure centre!

Nearly done for today in the office, just a small commute to wellsprings then pump and i can go home!
2009-01-15 1:55 PM

New user

I would love to join this group. I am a 20 yo poor college student looking to enter my first year of triathlons. I have always been involved in sports so I am not in terrible shape. However, I noticed that I need some sort of competetion to keep me motivated and working out and thats how triathlons came up. I am planning on doing an an olympic with a shorter swim at the end of may and hopefully will build up to a full olympic by august. I will be making plenty of mistaked and do not mind laughing about them. In the upcoming months I will be having many questions about equipment (tri-suit/wetsuit, bikes, shoes, etc.) as well as questions on training, training plateaus, and many other things. I look forward to being active in this group. Thanks.

Seamus

2009-01-15 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1910231

User image

Expert
Memphis, TN
jpoconne - 2009-01-15 1:55 PM

I would love to join this group. I am a 20 yo poor college student looking to enter my first year of triathlons. I have always been involved in sports so I am not in terrible shape. However, I noticed that I need some sort of competetion to keep me motivated and working out and thats how triathlons came up. I am planning on doing an an olympic with a shorter swim at the end of may and hopefully will build up to a full olympic by august. I will be making plenty of mistaked and do not mind laughing about them. In the upcoming months I will be having many questions about equipment (tri-suit/wetsuit, bikes, shoes, etc.) as well as questions on training, training plateaus, and many other things. I look forward to being active in this group. Thanks.

Seamus

Welcome to the group!

2009-01-16 7:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Temps to reach 12-13 degrees tonight. Can't wait to do my 3 hour ride in the AM Surprised

2009-01-16 8:16 AM

Good morning,

My name is David Stratford and I am looking forward to starting a new line of athleticism in triathlons. 

I am 5'9" tall and weigh 170lbs.  I have completed one three month program of the P90X series and am in my 2nd week for doing it all over again.  I am in good shape, I can run/jog 6 miles, and I a can swim 1/2 mile just about.  As for biking, I don't know as I've never "trained". 

I do sprint (8mph) for 30 sec on the treadmill then walk (4mph) on a 3 setting incline and do this for 30 minutes.

I am looking for any and all advice for training both physically and mentally for my first triathlon.  I try to be a healthy eater, lots of protein bars, oatmeal, chicken and stay away from fried and fast foods.  I do cheat however and will have the occasional cheeseburger and a few beers.

I am married with 2 children and my wife supports my workout efforts.

Former Class A Industrial Softball player for 20+ years

I look forward to reading the threads and for the help.  I am thinking that my biggest challenge will be the swimming.  I think I probably waste alot of energy as I am an arm swimmer.  I find it difficult to kick and arm motion.

Ok thanks,

David

2009-01-16 8:18 AM
in reply to: #1910241

Hi Seamus,

Looks like we are in the same boat.  Looking forward to learning training techniques with you.

David

2009-01-16 8:52 AM

New user

What is on the agenda for everybody today? I just have an 80 minute bike ride. Unofrtionately, I don't have a trainer (or even a bike yet), so I have to ride a stationary at the gym. Can anyone tell me what a decent pace is for the bike section of an oly tri?
2009-01-16 8:56 AM
in reply to: #1911605

New user

Welcome David,

We do seem to be in the same boat. I am very inefficient in the water so far as well. Hopefully putting the hours in in the gym will help both of us.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Opiejoe's Group-closed & staying on page one!! Rss Feed  

of 9