Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-01-08 6:45 AM
in reply to: #1867684

User image

Regular
Grand Blanc, MI
Subject: RE: mjewen's group - FULL
No HRM here, just my Garmin for tracking mileage/pace/etc.

Javelin Narni for my bike. Actually bought in on close-out based on a thread posted here last year. Still trying to get used to the aero position.

Die-hard Mizuno fan here. Tried NB once and went back to my Mizuno Wave Riders. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

2009-01-08 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
For those of you with Heart Rate monitors, do any of you use it to train within a certain target range?

How do you use it to monitor your heart rate while you train?

2009-01-08 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1893194

Crawfordville, Florida

I received a Garmin 305 with HRM from my son for Christmas (costco web site $159.99).  It is amazing how much data you get from a run!  I am still figuring out how to use it effectively as there are many data points to retrieve and set up.  I think it will be very useful. 

My bicycle is a Trek 1500. I bought it last year and it is good road bike. 

Brooks Beast.  I am 6'0 and started at 220 lbs.  This shoe is comfortable and has been very comfortable.  Besides I like the name.

2009-01-08 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1895637

User image

Veteran
Fremont

How many people here have weight loss as one of their goals?.  I'm really getting some benefits to the training so far, and just trying to eat healthier and smaller portions. I have lost 25lbs in about 2 months, and have a goal of losing another 10-15 by the end of this month.

I'm 6'1" and 235 now, want to get down to around the 200lb mark in the next few months, which is where I was when I got out of the military over 10yrs ago.  Running has been the toughest thing for me to get back into, but every pound lost has just made it that much easier, and I'm really enjoying it Cool.

2009-01-08 4:20 PM

New user

Plainfield, IL

Scott,

I'm in it for weight loss also.  I just started on Weight Watchers Monday.  Hoping that the training program combined with WW will reward me.  Kudos to you for losing 25 lbs in 2 months....WOW.  was that from training??  Thats a pretty significant loss.  I can only hope to be so lucky.

Swimming is what is kicking my butt.  I feel like a real dummy in the pool.  Luckily I only have to swim a couple of laps...this program starts me off really slow.  Warm up followed by 50 meter freestyle followed by 50 meter cool off.  I barely get wet and it's time to get out of the water.  I almost feel silly...but it's hard.  I usually sit on the side and watch other swimmers...thinking..one day that will be me. ha

Good luck on your weight loss.  Do you try to add more protein to your diet while you are training?

Sandy

2009-01-08 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1895236

User image

mellymedic - 2009-01-08 12:38 PM For those of you with Heart Rate monitors, do any of you use it to train within a certain target range? How do you use it to monitor your heart rate while you train?

Hi Melanie.  I have gotten into the different training zones using my HR monitor.

my base training, I keep in a lower HR level - below 135: preferrably in the 120's, and I vary my pace to keep it lower.

When I do my speed work / intervals, and I particularly looking at the HR's.... with 3 minutes of HR over 150, 2 min with HR under 135.  Doing these intervals is what actually led me into running.  No speed of walking was able to bring my HR up over 135.  LOL

By using my HR monitor I am able to make sure I am working hard enough to have a good base, and also hard enough when needed (in the intervals) for weight loss.

2009-01-08 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1895857

User image

Veteran
Fremont
Sandy43 - 2009-01-08 4:20 PM

Scott,

I'm in it for weight loss also.  I just started on Weight Watchers Monday.  Hoping that the training program combined with WW will reward me.  Kudos to you for losing 25 lbs in 2 months....WOW.  was that from training??  Thats a pretty significant loss.  I can only hope to be so lucky.

Swimming is what is kicking my butt.  I feel like a real dummy in the pool.  Luckily I only have to swim a couple of laps...this program starts me off really slow.  Warm up followed by 50 meter freestyle followed by 50 meter cool off.  I barely get wet and it's time to get out of the water.  I almost feel silly...but it's hard.  I usually sit on the side and watch other swimmers...thinking..one day that will be me. ha

Good luck on your weight loss.  Do you try to add more protein to your diet while you are training?

Sandy

I would definitely say that the training has played a big part of it, but I've really tried to eat healthier, and just eat smaller portions, and eat less later on at night. Drinking plenty of water and hardly any alcohol (tough, being I like beer and red wine).  Eating plenty of Vegetables and Fruit helps too. Trying to eat until I'm 80% full is a good rule to follow.

I think I had already had plenty of protein in my diet, I'm just trying to eat better (low-fat) protein choices now.

I've always known what it takes to lose weight...burn more calories then I eat... Just being disciplined enough to do that is the tough part...

I know you'll do fine losing the weight by just sticking with the training!

2009-01-08 7:46 PM
in reply to: #1895779

User image

Slickster - 2009-01-08 3:45 PM

How many people here have weight loss as one of their goals?.  I'm really getting some benefits to the training so far, and just trying to eat healthier and smaller portions. I have lost 25lbs in about 2 months, and have a goal of losing another 10-15 by the end of this month.

I'm 6'1" and 235 now, want to get down to around the 200lb mark in the next few months, which is where I was when I got out of the military over 10yrs ago.  Running has been the toughest thing for me to get back into, but every pound lost has just made it that much easier, and I'm really enjoying it Cool.

Hey Scott.  awesome job on the weight loss.. funny how eating less and working a LOT more can help, huh??

I have been in this for weight loss and health for the past 3 years.  The first 2 years, there was no way I could possibly do as much as I do now..  I have since dropped 185 lbs, and now want this season to lose that last 10 to 15 lbs.  I feel also, that by sticking to eating for fuel, and the training will take me where I would like to go.  I am trying not to focus on the weight as much as concentrating on staying active.  It has served me well for the past year.. so onward I push!

I forgot who posted right after scott.. but congrats on getting started with WW's...  I think you will find the training a huge help.

Roxann

2009-01-08 9:12 PM

New user

Plainfield, IL

roxann,

Did you seriously lose 185lbs?  That is incredible.  Thanks for motivating me again.  You must be so proud of yourself.

Sandy

2009-01-08 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I am in it for the weight loss but in reality I tend to think of it to be more healthy.

Last year around this time, I made more conscious decisions as to what I ate for meals and I uped my training hours. All of a sudden within 2- 3 months I had lost 20 pounds. I went from 163 - my heaviest ever to 143. Eventually I was 140. Mu nutrition didn't change that drastically as I was never that bad of an eater, but I was gald the weight was coming off.

Over the past couple of months I saw the weight creeping back. Not much, but every month I was seeing 1 more pound added to my weight.

My goal would be to hover around 130- 135. However I haven't weighted that in 15 years. Realistic for me would be 140. That is why I say be healthy and if the weight comes off it comes off. If it doesn't it doesn't. But I know that with the amount I train, I won't go back to the 160s.

Being good with my workouts and nutrition lately I wieghed myself today and I was at 141. Those extra few pounds are creeping back off. YIPPEE!!!

note: the culprit for me is buying pre-made food that has all sorts of "extras" in it that your body does not need. In the past 2- 3 weeks I started cooking a lot more of my own foods. If anyone has any good healthy recipes please share.

Edited by mellymedic 2009-01-08 9:46 PM
2009-01-08 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1896306

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
martymngirl - 2009-01-08 8:39 PM

mellymedic - 2009-01-08 12:38 PM For those of you with Heart Rate monitors, do any of you use it to train within a certain target range? How do you use it to monitor your heart rate while you train?

Hi Melanie.  I have gotten into the different training zones using my HR monitor.

my base training, I keep in a lower HR level - below 135: preferrably in the 120's, and I vary my pace to keep it lower.

When I do my speed work / intervals, and I particularly looking at the HR's.... with 3 minutes of HR over 150, 2 min with HR under 135.  Doing these intervals is what actually led me into running.  No speed of walking was able to bring my HR up over 135.  LOL

By using my HR monitor I am able to make sure I am working hard enough to have a good base, and also hard enough when needed (in the intervals) for weight loss.

So you use the HR monitor with intervals?
I would think that if you are doing intervals, you would want to be practising speed work and then your heart rate will be high because you would be pushing yourself.

I was once told by a runner that you don't want to let your HR fall below 130 because lower than that it takes a lot of energy to bring it back up. So once it hits that level, you should go back to working again.

In the summertime I once used the monitor to run 8km where I wouldn't let my HR go over 150 or 155.

Edited by mellymedic 2009-01-08 9:46 PM

2009-01-09 3:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

Heart rate training can be complicated and therefore lends itself to being very misunderstood.  There are some great resources available if you want to learn more. 

The way I use my HRM, after doing some research, is to use my HR to make sure my easy days are truly easy and my hard days truly hard.  I tend to use it more for the easy days, I can use a fast pace to make sure I am pushing myself on my hard days.  You should really do a lactate threshold test for each activity you will be using the HRM.  Each person is different, each sport is different.  Things can change as you gain fitness.  Then use the numbers to define your zones.  The bulk of training should be in the easier zones, less work in the harder zones.  It's easier on your body, you can train longer, less chance of injuries, etc.

On my easy/recovery runs, I can set my Garmin to just display my HR.  I just check it every so often and make sure it doesn't go over my threshold, if it does I slow down.  2 years ago at the start of the year I could run 7.5 miles with my HR at a 140 avg and I was at about an 8:30 pace.  By the fall I could run the same distance with the same 140 avg HR but I was at about a 7:45 pace.  140ish was my upper zone 2 or aerobic limit.  My aerobic engine had improved greatly, faster pace, same effort as measured by HR.  Occassionally I use it the same way on interval workouts, trying to keep my HR above a threshold.      

2009-01-09 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
So who else is going to be buried in snow this weekend!?
2009-01-09 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I am getting a couple of cm. They were saying 10 but I think that has gone down a bit. I hope it does as I don't have snow tires.

But I have still been running outside once a week. I won't let mother nature get in the way of my training. Knock on wood. I don't need blizzard or -30C temps.
2009-01-10 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1899094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

mellymedic - 2009-01-09 11:20 PM I am getting a couple of cm. They were saying 10 but I think that has gone down a bit. I hope it does as I don't have snow tires. But I have still been running outside once a week. I won't let mother nature get in the way of my training. Knock on wood. I don't need blizzard or -30C temps.

We are due for 6-10inches today and then another whopper mid week. I run wind,sleet,snow and rain. When its really bad I have gone out and run in my nike hiking boots! Honestly out of the four my least favorite is wind.

2009-01-10 3:08 PM
in reply to: #1895236

Crawfordville, Florida
I would like to understand how to use the HRM more effectively for training as well.  I started doing all this training a few months ago and have had noticeable improvements in running and bicycling distances.  However my running is slow and my heart rate is usually 165 for most of the run.  The heart rate monitor is accurate as I check it by taking my pulse.  Dumb question but does heart rate improve over time?  I hope so because if I run 4 miles any slower (10 min mile) I will have to walk!

2009-01-10 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1899833

User image

jk809 - 2009-01-10 3:08 PM I would like to understand how to use the HRM more effectively for training as well.  I started doing all this training a few months ago and have had noticeable improvements in running and bicycling distances.  However my running is slow and my heart rate is usually 165 for most of the run.  The heart rate monitor is accurate as I check it by taking my pulse.  Dumb question but does heart rate improve over time?  I hope so because if I run 4 miles any slower (10 min mile) I will have to walk!

Hey Jim.. does the HR improve??  oooohhh yes!!  it does... now.. speed work, I do find helps a lot on getting the HR's to go down.. My trainer had me push as hard as you can for 1 minute, (for me that was just over 7mph... then drop it down slow to recover and stay slow until the HR drops back to below 130 then kick it back.. you do three of 4 of these, then fall into your natural pace.

you work at this until that recovery time is less than 30 sec...  I started out doing this one time every other week.  I would barely hold out for the minute at 5.5mpy, and then it took me 3 min to recover... I eventually got it where in order to work it as hard as I could... I had to speed up a LOT (to 7.2mph) and my recovery back into the 120's was less than 30 seconds. 

At the same time, my comfortable run - what should be easy dropped from that 165 or better to the 140's and only increases now after about 30 minutes.

I have lost a little of this by being off to recuperate for 3 months.. but today's run felt AWESOME!!  I had been walking only since surgery.. today.. I just couldn't walk... I had to jog.. and golly, it felt good.  :D 

BTW... my run program is still a little of a walk/jog - John Bingham style - but it is slowly getting to almost all run.  so NOTHING wrong with walking now and then in your program until your HR starts to drop a bit.

Mike, and Melanie.. Mike explained the HR use much better than my post did.. that is how I use it.. more to make sure I am pushing hard enough.  Otherwise, I tend to think I am working it pretty hard.. only to find out if I monitor myself... not so much. 

Roxann

2009-01-10 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

I see that most of you are logging your workouts, that's great.  It allows the rest of the group to monitor your progress and offer encouragement or congratulations as needed.  Some of you have been looking at other's blogs and giving inspires (comments on someone else's blog) and that is neat.  If you haven't used this feature, check it out. 

A few more questions for you to answer, a little more specific to your short term goals and part of the reason the mentor program was started here on BT.

1. What are your short term (1-3 months) goals?  Specifically what goals can the group help you achieve.
  2. How has your 2009 gone?  Holidays are over (except for Steve who ia basking in sunshine and warm temps) and it's time to start are continue your off-season training.  
  3. Are you following a specific plan or do you kind of wing it?
  4. What/when is your first race of 2009?

Reply away!! 

2009-01-10 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1899937

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
mjewen - 2009-01-10 5:24 PM

1. What are your short term (1-3 months) goals?  Run a sub 4hr marathon (lofty goal)
  2. How has your 2009 gone? Finding a little harder time to run during the week because the 16yo needs to be at basketball practice at the same time I want to be out on the road running.
  3. Are you following a specific plan or do you kind of wing it? I have a plan but haven't really started it yet because I can already do the first 3 or 4 weeks. One thing that backfires with the plan is that I can run the long runs at a faster pace than it asks for. My long run so far is 10miles..it calls for a 9:36 pace. I can usually do about an 8:50. Not sure if I should slow it down to that.  The tempo runs (4-6miles) on the other hand ask for low 8s I can probably pull an 8:20ish but realistically I  only run sub 8s/8s when Im racing. Ive run a couple of 5milers and 10ks at sub 8s so I know Im capable. Hmm where does that put me? It puts me in wing it land. Its where I usually live so nothing new there! I should probably buck up and do some speed work to make things right. I just never have before.
  4. What/when is your first race of 2009? Im doing a half marathon Feb.28th. It will be my third if you count the one I did in my first 70.3. I don't expect a PR (sub 1:54) as I've heard its hilly and it will be cold, if not snowy. Im not that great of a hill runner which is one of the reasons Im doing it. The bigger race is the marathon on May 3rd. It will be a first for me! I've done one 70.3 and an aquabike, so I know I can do distance. I just have never tried a long distance in one specialty.

Edited by trirific10 2009-01-10 5:07 PM
2009-01-10 10:28 PM

User image

Regular
St. Cloud, MN

Hey gang,  I know its been a while but I had kind of crazy week.  Lots of long, busy days at work (a couple 10 hr and 1 12 hr days).  Plus my two closest friends left St. Cloud this week (meaning a few trips to the bars), and I got a new home theater system I spent a few nights setting up.  Anyway, I'm back on the wagon and I plan to keep it that way.

To back track a little, I use a 305 Garmin Forerunner with bike sensor.  Just picked it up for X-mas and plan to begin doing HR training soon.  I use (don't quite own) a Specialized Transition and I have some Asics GT-2090s that need to be replaced after the snowy season.

I posted my goals on my blog for all of you to read so feel free to help me out if you'd like. 

My first paragraph basically answers the next question. 

Right now I'm just winging it.  My current plan is to do 2-a-day workouts, alternating between the s/b/r.  I think what I'll do is two days on, one off in each sport, which will give me a nice variety day to day.  For my first Oly race in late June I'll use one of the plans offered here on BT.

My first race is Saturday, May 3 the Chain of Lakes Triathlon in Alexandria, MN.  600 yd pool swim, 13 mile bike, 3 mile run.  This will be a "B" race for me.  

I plan to make more time to read this forum and keep up-to-date with my blog.  I look foward to reading everyone's responses.  I'm off to register for 2 of my 8 races this season. I also joined the USAT this week.

2009-01-12 7:10 AM

Hey gang Im back from St Thomas, It was perfect down there. Hope alls well with everyone only did a little but of training down there, we were to busy looking for a condo to buy. But Im back and ready to work hard again.

2009-01-12 12:43 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Blanc, MI
Short term goals: decided to bite the bullet and let my IT band rest, so, no running until March 1st, very little biking for that matter too. I guess I'll be spending most of the time in the pool, working myself up to 3000 yds if I'm lucking. The other time will be working hard on developing leg/muscle strength to fight off ITBS and more work on upper body.

So for this year, run/bike have suffered due to my ITBS.

My first race will be a 25k run in early May and my first tri will be a sprint Memorial Day weekend. I'm really focusing on getting my IT healed, so, I've set two MAIN goals this year: HIM in August and marathon in October. I figure taking the next 6-8 weeks off running/biking shouldn't effect my ability to compete in both, right??
2009-01-12 9:10 PM
in reply to: #1900334

User image

1.      What are your short term (1-3 months) goals?  Specifically what goals can the group help you achieve.   

My first short term goal is to continue rehab post foot and other surgeries and get back to running. 

Second short term goal, get comfortable with the swimming and the decision to go for a triathlon. 

third, become consistent again with the strength training and core training.

2.      How has your 2009 gone?  2009 is starting out pretty good.  I am feeling stronger every day.  I didn’t think I would EVER get healed up enough to start training again.  that three months off of training post surgeries has made it tough to get back into a full routine.    

3.      Are you following a specific plan or do you kind of wing it?   I have a specific plan to follow, but due to my work travel and never knowing what the day will bring – I tend to have to wing it.

4.      What/when is your first race of 2009?  My first race is this weekend.  I am walking the PFChangs R ‘n R half marathon in Phoenix.  This race is being done as a ploy to get me back into training.    I have 2 “A” races planned, and one “B” race planned.
May 3rd I am doing the Flying Pigs half in Cincinatti.  This is an “A” race, and my goal is to RUN…  well.. JOG.. hehe..  goal time: 2:30 or better.

Sept 27th I am doing the Iron Girl Duathlon in Bloomington, MN.  This is my other “A” race.  my goal.:  1:10 or better.

July 26th I am doing the Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon.  this is a “B” race.  I was looking for a challenge.  haven’t set a time goal on this, as I am not sure at all how well my swimming will progress.  This is my first attempt at all three sports in one.. so my goal is to finish ALIVE!

ok.. so that is my busy year!  goodness…  ohhh.. I forgot.. for the heck of it, I am throwing in the Marine Corp Marathon 10k run.  that is Oct 26 in DC.  I am doing it as a celebration with some friends.  A celebration of an awesome season.  That is called planning for success.. :D

Roxann

2009-01-12 9:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
  1. What are your short term (1-3 months) goals?  Specifically what goals can the group help you achieve.  Stay healthy during my high school basketball officiating season while training for Boston Marathon on 4/20.  Swim/bike 2x per week during basketball season, try to up a little at end of basketball which will also be my longest marathon training run times.  
  2. How has your 2009 gone?  Holidays are over (except for Steve who ia basking in sunshine and warm temps) and it's time to start are continue your off-season training.   I had some soreness in both achilles after a couple of basketball games in mid-December.  I wear custom orthotics for this issue.  I switched to my hard orthotics, my soft ones are getting re-furbished.  I actively took Advil and ice to help heal and am slowly getting better.  My long runs are a little behind where I want them to be but I should have plenty of time to catch up. 
  3. Are you following a specific plan or do you kind of wing it?  I am going to try to follow the Hal Higdon Intermediate II plan for Boston but hopefully adding some speed work.  I may check into some other plans.  MN winters & basketball will make run training difficult so may need to fudge a little until March.  Marathon will be focus so swim/bike will have to fit in as best I can.  I have not used a plan for triathlon training.
  4. What/when is your first race of 2009? Possible half marathon on 2/15 but likely would be a training run or C race.  1st race is Boston Marathon on 4/20.  First tri is either a sprint on 5/17 but for sure an olympic on 6/7.  
2009-01-13 12:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1

Check out the link above for a discussion on heart rate training, determining your zones, etc.   It just came up in a recent thread and Daremo added this link.  Fits with our previous discussion on how to use your heart rate monitor. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mjewen's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9