Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-01-17 7:52 PM
in reply to: #1872477

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Ernie's Group - Closed

Most of the discussion I've seen has been training by HR.  Here's a link to Runner's World and if you look in the middle of the page, you'll see Smart Coach.  By putting in some race information, they will give you training paces.  It's important to put in current race times, not the time you want to run.  It's just another way to train.

http://www.runnersworld.com/

Ernie

2009-01-19 7:33 AM

User image

Maine

In keeping with the food theme that seems to be developing for avatars, I have changed mine.  It also has a Maine "flavor".

18 Inches of New Snow - 1/18/09

Speaking of Maine, here's what it looks like this morning.  18 inches of new snow in the last 24 hours.  This is after several days of arctic temps, including to my recollection, the coldest I have ever noted: -22F on my drive to work on Friday morning.  So for any of you complaining about uncomfortable weather while you're running and cycling outside . . . would you like to trade places?

2009-01-19 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1915841

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
bearaway - 2009-01-19 8:33 AM

In keeping with the food theme that seems to be developing for avatars, I have changed mine.  It also has a Maine "flavor".

18 Inches of New Snow - 1/18/09

Speaking of Maine, here's what it looks like this morning.  18 inches of new snow in the last 24 hours.  This is after several days of arctic temps, including to my recollection, the coldest I have ever noted: -22F on my drive to work on Friday morning.  So for any of you complaining about uncomfortable weather while you're running and cycling outside . . . would you like to trade places?

Only crazy people live where you do!  I keep telling my wife we live too far north, so I would just keel over dead living in Maine.

I like the new avatar.

Ernie

2009-01-19 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Here's a cool website for calculating run/bike distance:  http://www.mapmyride.com/

Here's a good shopping website:  http://www.chainlove.com/

and another:  http://www.swimoutlet.com/

Ernie

2009-01-19 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1915963

User image

Maine
I use http://www.mapmyride.com/ rather the the routing function in BT.  MapMyRide has a "Follow the Road" feature that makes laying out the routes much easier, especially if your mapping routes on winding roads.
2009-01-19 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

Nice picture, looks like we are facing similar weather conditions.   I think you are getting what we had last week.  Warmed up a little yesterday to 15 degrees, so we took the kids to a snow festival.  It was nice to get out of the house.  School was closed for the kids 2 days last week.  School close when the wind chill hits -35.  The whole family went to the gym this AM, rode the trainer then played some soccer with the kids. 

I just bought a used aero bar off Ebay.  After it arrives it looks like I will get to experiment with setting up my bike for more of a Tri position vice road riding. Initial plan will be to move the seat forward, mount bars and go from there.  This might also motivate me to get back on the trainer again.

2009-01-19 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1916262

User image

Maine
You and I trading locations wouldn't make much of a difference in our training regimens, would it?  We'll just have to envy those who "suffer" through temps in the 40s. {Heck, that's cool night in late-August around here!}
2009-01-20 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Here's a site with some good training tips:

http://ironmantriathlontips.com/

Ernie

2009-01-20 3:57 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

I have a question about time between events.  As luck would have it two local Tri-s I would like to compete in are 1 week apart.  The first is a Sprint, this would likely be my first ever Tri.  Goal here is not to break the record books, but really to figure things out.  The next event, 1 week later, is a Olympic distance event.  This one will be much more difficult and a guage of where I stand for the HIM I signed up for in August.  The first two events would be in June.  

I realize that rest is required after an event, but is 1 week enough?  I guess since the first event is a Sprint I should have enough time to recover prior to the Olympic the following week.  Any thoughts on this situation?

Greg

2009-01-20 8:13 PM
in reply to: #1918796

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
GRB1 - 2009-01-20 4:57 PM

I have a question about time between events.  As luck would have it two local Tri-s I would like to compete in are 1 week apart.  The first is a Sprint, this would likely be my first ever Tri.  Goal here is not to break the record books, but really to figure things out.  The next event, 1 week later, is a Olympic distance event.  This one will be much more difficult and a guage of where I stand for the HIM I signed up for in August.  The first two events would be in June.  

I realize that rest is required after an event, but is 1 week enough?  I guess since the first event is a Sprint I should have enough time to recover prior to the Olympic the following week.  Any thoughts on this situation?

Greg

As you said, it comes down to goals.  Doing the sprint will effect your performance in the Olympic.  If you go into the sprint with the idea of a training day, you will minimize the impact on the Olympic.  The harder you race the Sprint, the bigger the effect on the Olympic.  It will not effect your ability to finish either race but will effect your performance. 

Okay, having said that, look at the Sprint as a learning experience.  It should be a chance to practice pacing and transitions.  Go into the Sprint with set paces for each event.  This is especially important for the run.  Do not exceed your run pace even if you feel good.  The run will have the biggest impact on your recovery. 

Be carefull with your swim pace on the Sprint.  I know in my first sprint, I hit max HR in the first 50 yards of the swim.  That's a big lesson in racing, learning how to pace from the start.

After the sprint, take the next day off if you need to.  If you feel up to, I would recommend an easy swim.  It will loosen up the muscles and you'll feel a lot better afterwards.  (Based on a Sunday race) I would bike on Tuesday, swim/run on Wednesday and then taper into the Olympic.  Of course, if you disregard all this and get caught up in the competition, I would take Monday and Tuesday off, light workouts on Wed/Thur/Fri, rest on Sat and race on Sunday.

Good luck.  Bottom line, it's doable but you have to be smart.

Ernie

2009-01-21 2:14 PM

Swimming is discipline that I'm most nervous about. So last week it was great to read bigfuzzydoug's post, thanks for the link Ernie. I train with my local masters team and last night I tried to implement some advice from the post.

I concentrated on
— the pull, imagining climbing a ladder. I'll do more of this, my pull's weak and this was difficult . But it reduced my stroke count when I could sustain it
— breathing, looking at my shoulder. Felt odd at first but I think I was getting narrower in the water, more on my side.
— head position, with my chin closer to my chest. Felt odd also but I think i was flatter in the water, but coach picked me up on this saying look more forward. Normally I swim with the water line on my forehead. What do you guys do?

Tonight I'll train my right arm, and lift a few beers.

John

Edited by john_c 2009-01-21 2:17 PM

2009-01-21 6:16 PM
in reply to: #1920655

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
john_c - 2009-01-21 3:14 PM

Swimming is discipline that I'm most nervous about. So last week it was great to read bigfuzzydoug's post, thanks for the link Ernie. I train with my local masters team and last night I tried to implement some advice from the post.

I concentrated on
— the pull, imagining climbing a ladder. I'll do more of this, my pull's weak and this was difficult . But it reduced my stroke count when I could sustain it
— breathing, looking at my shoulder. Felt odd at first but I think I was getting narrower in the water, more on my side.
— head position, with my chin closer to my chest. Felt odd also but I think i was flatter in the water, but coach picked me up on this saying look more forward. Normally I swim with the water line on my forehead. What do you guys do?

Tonight I'll train my right arm, and lift a few beers.

John

It's interesting about the different training advice there is for triathlon.  I've always heard that you should be looking down with the water at your hair line.  I think picking up your head increases the likelihood that you'll drop your hips and legs.  For me, my biggest weakness is dropping my legs and being out of balance.

I like the look at your shoulder tip.  I do this when I breath to my weakside on the few times I practice bi-lateral breathing.

Ernie

Edited by ejc999 2009-01-21 8:53 PM
2009-01-22 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Sorry, I don't have a link for today.  I've been busy the last couple of days but I'll write some stuff this weekend.  Anyone have any questions?  How's the weight loss going for those trying to lose weight?

Ernie

2009-01-22 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Sorry, I don't have a link for today.  I've been busy the last couple of days but I'll write some stuff this weekend.  Anyone have any questions?  How's the weight loss going for those trying to lose weight?

Ernie

2009-01-22 10:24 PM

Regular
Plano, Tx
Having been in a profession where I swam 2+ hours daily, I would have to say learning recovery, and stretching out your strokes is key to swimming. BTW to answer your blog post my shin splints are from my very short stride and the fact that I am 230 lbs. Once I get down to 180 I will never feel them but I am used to working through them,
2009-01-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1924125

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

philz1982 - 2009-01-22 11:24 PM Having been in a profession where I swam 2+ hours daily, I would have to say learning recovery, and stretching out your strokes is key to swimming. BTW to answer your blog post my shin splints are from my very short stride and the fact that I am 230 lbs. Once I get down to 180 I will never feel them but I am used to working through them,

Hey Phil,

I would love to hear about your swim training from the Navy.  I never could do that modify side stroke they teach.  I guess it's easier with fins.  Any good stories?

Ernie

2009-01-24 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Nutrition plays a huge part in triathlons.  Both in how you eat everyday, how you eat while training and what you take in during races.  The difficult part is that everyone is different and it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out what works for you.  I won't talk about eating everyday as there is plenty of information in the general populace but for me I feel better the less processed food I eat.  Same goes for fast food.  Now I feel sick when I eat greasy or fatty food.

One of the first things you need to do for triathlons is learn to take in calories while training or racing.  A lot of people have a hard time eating/drinking and exercising at the same time.  Except for sprints, you're going to need to take in calories during the race.  Some people prefer only liquid calories, some like solids.  So, you need to work out what tastes good to you and what your stomach will handle.  After that you need to figure out how much you can process while exercising.  The rule of thumb is 240 calories (mostly from carbohydrates) per hour while cycling and 200 calories per hour on the run.  Here's a link to a good thread on this:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=116860&posts=9#M1435620

I'll write more on the different types of nutrition when I get a chance.  Another question that comes up is "I'm taking in 250 calories an hour but burning 600, what's going to happen."  I'll write on that also but don't worry you won't drop dead.

Ernie

2009-01-24 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Here's another website with some good information:  http://www.trifuel.com/

Last year I used training plans from Endurance Nation and I agree with their training/racing ideas.  Here's a link to one of their articles: 

http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/off-season-intervention-part-iii-endurance-nation%E2%80%99s-fast-then-far-vs-old

Ernie

Edited by ejc999 2009-01-24 10:43 AM
2009-01-26 4:46 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Here's a link to an interesting nutrition page:  http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=KNOWLEDGE   It is written by a company and they do push their stuff.  I've used Hammer Nutrition stuff and it works well but isn't the best tasting.

Here's a link to another nutrition web site.  I've just bought their stuff and will try it out this year:
http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

Ernie

Edited by ejc999 2009-01-26 6:51 PM
2009-01-26 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

I am curious about the two products you mentioned.  You will have to let us know how it goes.  I have used Accelerade and Endurox for years with great results.  I am still trying others, mostly the gels, to see if there is something I might like better. 

2009-01-27 5:59 AM
in reply to: #1930337

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
GRB1 - 2009-01-26 7:41 PM

I am curious about the two products you mentioned.  You will have to let us know how it goes.  I have used Accelerade and Endurox for years with great results.  I am still trying others, mostly the gels, to see if there is something I might like better. 

One claim Infinit makes is that you can use just Infinit and not have to carry anything else.  It comes as a powder and depending how you mix it in a water bottle, you can set the amount of calories.  Which works fine on the bike but for the run you have to carry a fuel belt or bottles.  I've never seen it supplied by a race company.  I don't do well on an all liquid diet anyway. 

Hammer has a wide range of products and I've usd about all of them.  Their equivalent of Gatorade is Heed.  The most foul liquid on the planet (although Accelerade is about as bad).  I do like their Gels (Hammer Gels).  They have two products to mix in water bottles to provide long distance calories but both taste bad when they get warm. 

Like I said it's all trial and error.

Ernie

2009-01-28 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Another interesting website:  http://www.spinervals.com/public/department15.cfm

Spinervals are DVDs the will give you a cycling workout for the trainer.  Kind of like spinning class at home but more geared towards cycling.

They also have some good training articles on their website.

Ernie

2009-01-30 9:25 PM
in reply to: #1926736

Regular
Plano, Tx
ejc999 - 2009-01-24 8:30 AM

philz1982 - 2009-01-22 11:24 PM Having been in a profession where I swam 2+ hours daily, I would have to say learning recovery, and stretching out your strokes is key to swimming. BTW to answer your blog post my shin splints are from my very short stride and the fact that I am 230 lbs. Once I get down to 180 I will never feel them but I am used to working through them,

Hey Phil,

I would love to hear about your swim training from the Navy.  I never could do that modify side stroke they teach.  I guess it's easier with fins.  Any good stories?

Ernie

A good one was when I had to tread water for 5 minutes with a weight belt and twin 80's on that was an experience in drowning :-D

Also hyping out in the bay during 2 hour swims in 55 degree water was always a blast. That and surf torture :-D

2009-01-31 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1938497

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
philz1982 - 2009-01-30 10:25 PM
ejc999 - 2009-01-24 8:30 AM

Hey Phil,

Ernie

A good one was when I had to tread water for 5 minutes with a weight belt and twin 80's on that was an experience in drowning :-D

Also hyping out in the bay during 2 hour swims in 55 degree water was always a blast. That and surf torture :-D

Having lived in California, I was amazed at how the water always seemed cold.  I can't imagine spending two hours in 55 degree water.  I did one race where it was that cold and it sucked big time.  Not my idea of a good time.

Ernie

2009-01-31 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Here's a link to one of my favorite websites:  http://www.sportsscientists.com/

Two guys write this site and they both have PHDs in physiology.  Here's what they say about their site: "This site was 'born' at the end of April 2007 as our attempt to give Sports Science and Exercise Physiology a broader appeal, while at the same time providing a site where people could be educated and learn about physiology and exercise performance.

Science without application is really nothing more than stamp collecting, and so we really wanted to give everyone the opportunity to appreciate the physiology and science of performance in a real sense. The aim was to take relevant and interesting (to us, anyway!) topics in sports science and apply them to every one who has every taken part in sport at any level."

I like their way of looking at things and really like this series of articles:  http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/01/running-technique.html

Ernie

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernie's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 7