BT Development Mentor Program Archives » southwestmba's group - full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2009-02-02 5:17 AM
in reply to: #1884401

Buffalo, NY
Subject: RE: southwestmba's group - full

What a game last night!  I don't remember a game that I enjoyed that much.

I have another crazy week this week but would love to talk about swimming.  Prior to this weekend I would have said I dread going to the pool.  However I did the TI workshop and what an eye opener.  I learned so much and although I have a ways to go, I know I will be swimming efficiently and faster in no time.  Can't wait until Wednesday when I can get back in the water.

Steve

2009-02-02 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL

Yeah, my first race is the MIT in March.  I officially signed up last week.  I'll probably end up doing a couple sprints in mid to late summer and hopefully another olympic distance at some point.  There are some good 70.3 events down here late in the season, but a) they're pretty expensive and b) I don't think I'll have free time to train properly with my work/family schedule.

Didn't train at all yesterday which is kind of a bummer.  Sunday is my only day to get a long ride in.  After a rare late night out Saturday the 5:30 AM alarm got the permanent snooze.  I had to take inventory at the shop yesterday so by the time that was done the daylight was done and the game was starting.  I didn't overindulge food or drink wise and got to bed right after the game, but I was absolutely beat this AM.  Got my kids to school and had to run a few errands that I couldn't get to yesterday, so no workout this AM.  This is gonna put me in a serious training deficit this week.  Hopefully I can man-up tonite and fit in a quick run, just to get the blood pumping.  With only 6 weeks to go before my oli I need to find ways to get more training volume in, not less.

2009-02-02 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1940641

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL

iamreno1 - 2009-02-02 6:17 AM

I did the TI workshop and what an eye opener.  I learned so much and although I have a ways to go, 

What's  TI workshop?  Sounds interesting.

2009-02-03 7:55 AM
in reply to: #1940100

User image

Regular

I did the Hills too on Sunday, and another 50 min on the Bike.  I think I was really dehydrated by yesterday morning as I "low carbed" during the neighborhood Superbowl party (which btw my daughters and wife won 3 out of the 4 quarters in the pool!)

I was really feeling it inb the legs last night, and was scheduled for a swim. My wife told me to take it easy I decided to skip the swim until tonight....that being said I absolutely HATE not having an entry in the log so I did a "power walk" at lunch.  

2009-02-03 10:37 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL

I'm thinking about joining a gym.  More accurately, my wife wants to join the gym and I'm thinking about piggybacking on her membership.  The gym is having a "Valentine's Special" where a couple can get an annual membership for $800.  

I'm getting the job done on the road right now, but the appeal of the gym is that I might be able to sneak an extra 60-120 minutes a week in.  With my race less than 6 weeks away I could probably use that extra volume.  When the weather's bad it'll be dry in the gym, when my workouts are unstructured or I'm unmotivated I can always jump in a spin class.  I'd also have the chance to try some of the treadmill ladder workouts Andy's been writing about, or do bricks with a minimum of equipment change and wasted time.  Lastly there'd be a little variety for strength training other than my dumbells and trusty sandbag.  Am I talking my self into it by writing this paragraph?

My other motivation for joining the gym is that it would give me the opportunity to encourage/nag my wife into working out.  The gym is her idea, but I know she *hates* to exercise.  The great irony is (and it's not lost on her) that despite my regular exercise routine I'm borderline obese on BMI while she's sedentary and smack dab in the ideal BMI range.  Still, she's getting close to 40 too and could stand to build a little muscle and get her HR up a few times a week.  I know how much better I've felt since getting back in to exercise a year ago and she probably doesn't know what she's missing.

I've get a day pass for tomorrow so I'm gonna check it out and report back.

2009-02-03 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
How's everyone doing? Well after a two day repreive from winter with two days of 50 degree weather, it finally started snowing last night and kept it up all day. So I got to enjoy a run this afternoon in the snow (I actually enjoy running in a snowstorm, I don't run in the rain but never miss a chance in a snowstorm as long as the roads aren't a mess.) Still three days in a row of getting outside has been great. And I even got to the pool tonight!

TI is Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion Swim program. The program is really good at helping improve your form and technique and body position in the water. You can get the books and DVDs at WWW.Totalimmersion.net and they offer weekend TI swim clincs at random places. You can also view some of the video on Youtube for free to try before you buy. It is a really good program and can help you swim faster while expending less energy which is a goal for the first leg of your tri. Maybe Steve can give us a few of the tips he learned this weekend.

Joining a gym can be a good move. Having a group of people to train with in the gym or at a cycle class certainly help motivate me when the weather isn't so great. For me my kids are involved in a lot of activities at the YMCA, so the Y allows me the opportunity to fit a workout in around their activities.

Great Super Bowl this year very entertaining.

Have fun.

Andy

2009-02-03 8:23 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: REady for a trial TRI?

This weekend is supposed to be very nice, 50 degrees, my daughter said try and do all three in one day..I am tempted, it would be kind of reverse, I'd bike 7 miles to the Y, swim, bike 7 miles back and then run 3-5.....what do you think?

2009-02-04 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1944356

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Subject: RE: REady for a trial TRI?

Biancamano - 2009-02-03 9:23 PM I'd bike 7 miles to the Y, swim, bike 7 miles back and then run 3-5.....what do you think?

That sounds like fun, actually.  That's a solid double-brick with the swim-bike-run segment heading home.

I worked out at that gym this AM.  Had a pretty good workout with a 40 minute ride on a spin bike followed by a 40 minute run.  The spin wasn't as fun as a ride, but there were some benefits to the treadmill when it comes to pacing, watching HR and doing a fast brick.  It did seem like a lot less effort than actual running, though.  10 minute/mile pace felt a lot easier on the treadmill than 10:45 on my feet.  This has to be a weight thing because it's one thing to be on a treadmill where my upper body is stationary and my legs are moving to keep time with the belt, compared to the road where my legs have to push 225+ around.  More motivation to get lighter, I guess.  The cool thing was I could maintain an even pace and really get my HR up without quitting.  There's no way I would kept up that pace on the road but when your feet *have* to move to keep you upright on that treadmill you just can't quit.  

A couple other cool things about the gym... I met one of the trainers there who is multiple IM finisher with two IMs and two 70.3 on his schedule for this year.  Could be a good person to hook up with for longer rides or maybe glom some free training advice from.  Speaking of trainers, some of the female trainers there had physiques that were beyond amazing.  Not sure if that will encourage or intimidate my wife.  She's trying the gym out at lunch today so I'll find out what her experience was like.

So I guess I've talked myself in to joining.  It was a good facility with enough variety to keep me interested.  One thing I took away from this one workout today is how different my abilities are after a year of beginner endurance training.  In all the years I belonged to gyms and lifted weights or fought jiu-jitsu I'd struggle to do 3 miles in 30 minutes, and today I did 80 straight minutes of aerobic work with no problems.  I feel pretty good about that.

2009-02-05 10:08 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Hello everyone, hope all is well. Today's lession is about adjustments. Yesterday I was out for a run on a nice cold afternoon running up a hill when boom I get a pain in my lower calf, I eased up and so did the pain, but it never fully went away. so i hobbled home finishing the run(not quite the smartest thing to do). Well the calf really tighten up and made stairs a royal pain as the afternoon wore on. That night I skipped my trainer ride and iced it all night and went to bed early. Felt better this morning but, I decided I need to take a break from running for a few days at the least as the pain was still there in the background. SO I looked up some info on line to make sure my I could bike and swim without hurting myself, and arranged to take my son to swim practice and get a swim in tonight (one pushed of the wall with my good leg though) and then folowed that up with a relaxed 40 min ride on a stationary bike low resistance all in the saddle (Getting out of the seat engages the Hamstrings and calf muscle) and skipped my usuall cycling class. Well I was able to be smart and rest my injury and still get a good combo workout in.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Be Honest with yourself, but don't make excusess. This sport is about patience, perseverance, making good decisions, and learning to adjust to challenges on the fly. Don't let a minor setback ruinyour entire day(week, month, season). You learn the most about a person when you observe how they deal with adversity.

2009-02-06 4:43 PM
in reply to: #1948312

New user

Not to be presumptuous, but what is your stretching routine like?

2009-02-07 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Stretching. I like to get a bit of a warm up then do some hamstring, quad, and calf stretches. I don't really endorse cold stretching, you need to get so heat in the muscules for it to be effective. After my workout I will do a more thorough job stretching.
However, due to limited time before my lunch runs at work I sometimes don't stretch, but just take it easy for the first half of the run. That probably bit me this week, but it seems to have been more of a cramp than a strain.
But Garfield's point is well taken, stretching can help prevent injuries, so don't skimp on this area of your workout. Trust me it can hurt .

2009-02-07 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Swimming.

I actually did more swimming this week than I have the 6 weeks combined. Swimming is a funny thing, I spend the least amount of time in this area by far. But when you look at my race results and rankings, I actually perform strongest in this discipline. One of the reasons for this is that swimming is the most technical of the three disicplines by far. You get the highest rate of return for your efforts, paticularly from those drills. While I will never be a super competitive swimmer, for a tri I am more concerned about staying close to the folks in my ability level, getting from point A to point B in the straightest line possible, and being smooth and relaxed and getting to T1 feeling fresh and ready to go. Drills which help reinforce your proper body position are best. Getting your hips in the proper position so all your effort goes to pushing your forward (vice your kick going mostly to keeping your legs from sinking.), and working at smooth long arm strokes are key and a full glide are key. In cycling and running you must do a certain amount of bases work or your conditioning will suffer. In swimming you don't need to do nearly as much (In my opinion). Don't get me wrong you, you still must build a base, but maintaining that base takes alot less to maintain that base, compared to running and biking. One thing I tend to do is not do drill sets but incorprate the drills into my continous swim. On lap focus on hip position and glide, next focus on rotation, next focus on arm entry and pull, and so on.

One thing I have noticed, if I want to go fast, focus on the pull not the tempo. The faster my tempo gets the more my form breaks down and the extra effort just results in more splashing. Stay flat and smooth, and put more uuph into the pull and you will see the results (that and put more kick in but I try to minimize my kick during races to save my legs for the other two legs. Bottom Line Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Have fun!
2009-02-09 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL

Got a question for you Andy...

I'm a little more than 4 weeks out from my first Oli distance.  As opposed to the first sprints I did where I just wanted to finish, I've set a time goal for myself on this one.  I have no worries about finishing; my goal here is to push myself a bit and try to get it done in a time that would feel competitive for my size, age & experience.

What things were you doing in the month before your Oli races?  Is it about intensity, volume or both?  I'm wondering what I ought to be doing for the next 3.5 weeks before I taper.  And how important is a taper for a shorter race like this?

Pete

2009-02-09 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Over the last few quality weeks before a race I tend to shift gears from volume to intensity. About 4 weeks out I'll do a low intensity higher volume week with an long ride and run (A bit longer than race distance for an Olympic,), After allowing for a few recovery days of easy distance, in week T-2 and T-3, I'll start doing shorter workouts but up the intensity going above race pace. I tend to work these efforts into the course of a run or bike. Warm up for a good 10-15 min at a comfortable pace, then up the pace to race pace for 5 min, recover for 3-5 min, above race pace for 3, recover for 2-3 min, race pace for 5 and repeat. I also try and do a short brick or two to get in the flow for T2. (10 mile bike finsihing at a good tempo, then right into a 2-3 mile run at a good pace). If possible try to use terrian similar to the your race course. Also try and visulalize yourself on the course, what is your nutrition plan, how are your going to gauge your pace so you don't hammer too hard on the bike, what are your keys coming out of T2 so you know when your legs are ready to push it? These are great mental exercises to do during those intense workouts. The final week back off and taper.

Tapering is an art. For someone who races alot, I will not taper for every race, just the 'A' races or longer distance ones. For an 'A' race Olympic or HIM I taper for a full week. Volume is down to 40-50% and intensity is low. (A few quick sprints and/or strides each session are usallly reccommended to keep the fast twich fibers engaged) Lots of visualization and mental work, very little physical. I like to take the day before off, unless I have a long car ride and need to stretch my legs or if I can do a swim at the race course. I usually drive the bike course and run course if possible and try and identify some landmarks, and just paint a mental picture. Tapering for longer races (Marathons and IMs) is a 2-3 week process and usually by the end of the taper you are vibrating becasue you have so much built up energy as it become harder and harder to keep things easy and slow.

Main thing to remember is run your own race. Don't get caught up with the people around you, With a race like MIT, there will be alot of waves so on the bike and run you will catch alot of folks from previous waves and have the speedsters from the following wave flying by. Don''t get distracted/discouraged by this. Staying within yourself on the bike is vital, because it allows you to run off the bike better. Expect that your run time will be slower than your slandalone times, you just swam 1500 meters and rode 40K. You likely won't PR your 10K, but if you run a servicable time your will be surprise how much ground you can make up. Alot of folks go too hard on the bike and pay the price on the run. Instead you want to finish strong (for me that means a negative split on the run, not a monster sprint)

Most of all have fun, stay positive, and enjoy the day!

Edited by southwestmba 2009-02-09 10:17 PM
2009-02-09 10:34 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
How's everyone doing this week? I had one of those why did I even get out of bed days on Sunday. I slept in a bit, did my Sunday morning routine, and then headed downstairs to ride a 50K loop on my Computrainer. Just over an hour into it, I shift positions to grab my water bottle and I hear, "Pop" and suddenly I am leaning to one side, and slowly falling and I can't get unclipped. Boom I touch down ungracefully, on my left knee (bruised up immediately) and once I unclipped found my bike popper out of the trainer stand. So I go to put it back on and find my rear wheel is locked up. After releasing the brake I find it is now way out of true and wobbling big time. So I pack up my pack and bring it to the LBS and try to have them fix true the wheel. Well long story short, they found a very loose spoke but is was out of alignment to both directions and they could get it close but I would have to keep re truing it all season. SO I had that option or get a new race wheel. And of course the wheel isn't in stock, so they would order it for me. So now I am out a few hundred buck for my race wheel and don't have a bike all week on the warmest week of the year so far. I am praying I didn't damage the computrainer (shouldn't have). Then to boot I nearly knock myself out hitting my head on the ceiling going down the basement steps while getting the laundry. I should have stayed in bed.

Good news is, this is an easy week for me, and I got a run it this afternoon after nursing my calf issues for that past 4 days and everything felt good.

Rolling with the punches.

Andy
2009-02-10 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Thanks for the reply Andy.  It's all good advice and I think it will get to where I want to be next month.  I'm already getting nervous about this race.

2009-02-10 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Today I had a great demonstration of how important good form is in swimming. I was just doing a nice easy Half Ironman Distance Swim (2150 yards), and I had two really fast people on either side of me. One was Mr Gadget man, and looked like a swimmer (cut). He had a speed suit, flippers, paddles, and a bunch of other training aids, and was very fast. The other guy was wearing burmuda shorts, was a good deal heavier, and looked out of shape. But when they started doing their main sets of 200s, guess which one of them had perfect form and was about 5-10 seconds faster per rep. Yep the guy in the burmuda shorts was like a fish in the water, and effortlessly spanked the other guy. (For the record both of them were flying past and lapping me more times that I care to count). And wasn't even out of breath while the other dude was huffing and puffing.

Perfect illustration that in swimming having great form can allow you to go faster with less effort. The more athletic guy was putting in way more effort, but the other guy was smooth, easy, and wicked fast.

2009-02-11 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
I am just finally feeling better after feeling pretty lousy for the last few days. I really felt guilty about not getting any training in, but I think I did myself a favor by going to bed and getting a solid 8-10 hours for a few nights instead of making it worse.

It sounds dumb, but it is sometimes hard for me to tell if I am being lazy or if I really should back off and give myself a break. I can tell for sure now that it was the right decision as I feel 100% better after just a couple of days, but I wasn't so sure when I was making the decisions.

Does anyone else have this problem? I also worry that I might use this experience to talk myself out of training other times where I am not feeling 100% but should be training anyway.

Edited by JJackson07 2009-02-11 8:36 PM
2009-02-12 6:52 AM
in reply to: #1957870

New user

It is a tough call. I haven't trained in 3 weeks as I have caught something and can't shake it. And my body and mind are in full agreement on the decision to refrain. There have been other times when I have been sick but have pushed through but I have learned to gauge when the training is not likely to further complicate things. During those times I am usually experiencing a few symptoms but my head is clear. I might lighten the training or do some low key strength training as endurance type exercises are very hard on the immune system.

In my unprofessional opinion, if you are generally a person who is not prone to making excuses and have a pretty good track record for training then I would say listen to your body and give it a break. Our bodies are always talking to us and telling us very important things - we just have to learn how to listen and interpret.

Garfield

2009-02-12 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
I've been fighting a cold for a week now but kept training.  Honestly I feel better after a workout rather than worse, I guess because my blood gets pumping and my lungs and ears clear up a bit.  It's tough though, and I did have to take one day off and mellow out.  I think exercising this past year has helped my immune system because this is the first time I've been sick in over a year and while it's lingering a bit it's not all that severe.  At the same time I'm trying to be extra vigilant about not missing training time because I have a race soon.  If I had 4 months instead of 4 weeks before my next race it might be a different story.  Hope you guys feel better!
2009-02-12 10:00 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I would have to agree with Garfield. You have to listen to your body and take those messages it gives you. When it comes to training while sick, as I said before, I usually apply the heads up rule. If the symptoms are from the neck up, I will ususally go thru with the workout. For colds, etc, I always find once I get going, the cough and stuffiness goes away for a bit and it doesn't hurt me. If the symptoms are below the neck, I will skip the workout. The tough one is when you have a case of the blahs. Those days I just feel run down and lazy and unmotivated, but I find those days once I get going I have a good workout and find those days quite rewarding cause the i usually feel great afterwards. However, if you are feeling run down several days in a row, well that it a good sign you need a day off or a nice easy day.

Personally, if I skip my daily lunch run at work, I am dragging even worse all afternoon, so I make sure to take it easy rather than skipping a workout, but when your body sends a singal (calf cramps, knee pain, etc) make sure you listen and adjust your routine.

Have fun and don't forget Valentine's day is coming up (the day after Friday the 13th.. Huuum)

2009-02-14 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Finally got my bike back this afternoon from the shop and sure enough the weather is turning back to winter. Bummer. But one sure sign that spring is coming....THE DAYTONA 500 is tomorrow. Every race as I come out of T1 and mount the bike and clip in I hear Darrell Waltrip's voice in my head "BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!! LET'S GO RACIN' BOYS!!!!"

Pete asked a question about estimating distance for spinning classes. For spin classes or trainer rides in general I will record the time and then use a standard speed estimate. I use 18 MPH for hard or tempo rides, and 16 MPH for easy rides. I would just pick an average time based off your outdoor rides. Now that I have my Computrainer, I get ave speed and milage data from the computer, but I will still use that rule of thumb when I do my cycling classes at the YMCA. I don't get too tried up with distance (so it it is inaccurate I don't sweat it), I perfer to go by total time vice distance when evaluating my weekly and monthly totals. Alot of people don't even put a milage number in for indoor workouts, but I do for the equipment tracking/replacement purposes.

Hope that helps!
2009-02-15 8:53 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Speaking of Equipment

Here's my new baby:

http://www.bike-alog.com/bikepedia/Helpers/thumb2.aspx?w=800&h=800&filename=09_COMET.jpg

Edited by Biancamano 2009-02-15 8:55 AM
2009-02-15 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1962954

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Speaking of Equipment
Zut alors!  That's some ride!  Did you take it for a spin yet?  What's the group on it?  Will the shop fit it for free?  I'm feeling major bike envy.  Congrats!
2009-02-15 12:39 PM

New user

On a slightly different sport note...

https://www.ktrakcycle.com/index.html

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » southwestmba's group - full Rss Feed  

of 6