BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-05-09 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2140140

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: RE: KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD

cshollon - 2009-05-09 12:27 AM
kvesey - 2009-05-08 2:39 P

I'm volunteering at the Lake Las Vegas Iron Girl tri tomorrow and then up for a brick of 2.0 hr bike and 4.5 mile run.  Worried about nutrition (both what to eat and how to eat it - gels or solids on the bike?  While still pedaling?!)  Any suggestions are welcome.

You'll find that that whole nutrition thing is pretty individual in terms of how many calories you need and what you can tolerate. For me, on a workout like you're doing, I would have, on the bike, a bottle of water and a bottle of Endurox. Then I would stuff 3-4 gels in my bike jersey (or fill up a flask). I don't start including solids until I'm riding in excess of 3 hours, usually. I would do a cycle (about every 20 minutes) of water first, then the next 20 minutes, swig of Endurox, then the next 20 minutes about half a gel pack (or quarter of the flask). I don't seem to need a lot. If you think you need more calories, then up the cycle to every 10 minutes, or something. If it's a hot day, I might strap on a water bottle for the run, but unlikely that I would have anymore gels. When it was all over, I would have a slushy, very cold bottle of Endurox.

Play with it. See what you like, what agrees with you, and how much you think you really need...

2009-05-09 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2140265

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-05-09 8:10 AM PHEWW!!  Just finished my first sat morning run with the Alpine Runners.  I never had so much fun running before!  And that's the furthest I've ever done without stopping to walk.  We had a great group.  The wind had to be at least 50mph at some points.  My thighs are burning from my muscle conditioning class yesterday.

Any suggestions on how to get this lactic acid out of my legs?

Especially before my 30 mile bike tomorrow!!

I'm about to eat a veggie omlet (thanks to my hubby).   Make that protein/carb do it's job.

Wow! 50mph? I think that would blow me over!

Do some light stretching and, if you have a foam roller or something, give yourself a massage. Also, a good one that feels good...lie on the floor and scootch your butt up the wall. Put your legs up the wall so they are perpindicular to the floor. Lie there, arms at your side, palms up, for about 5 minutes. That will help a lot.

Then, soak in a bath as hot as you can stand it and add epsom/bath salts.

After that, you should feel great for tomorrow.

Maybe.

Edited by kvesey 2009-05-09 11:35 AM
2009-05-09 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2139690

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Not sure why I thought if I feel fine, everything will be fine. That 4-mile trail run was tough. I did alright the first 2 miles, and then I was done. I guess being sick for 2 weeks took a lot more out of me than I figured. Something I'm not really used to. Normally, if I have a cold, it's all snot and no bite, so I can continue working out pretty much as I would without the cold. This time, though, it totally put me down for the count. Swimming hasn't been an issue, but running and, to a lesser extent, riding have been tough. I just hope tomorrow's 10-mile run goes okay...not planning on doing it fast, so that should help.

I guess this just means I'm getting old(er).

2009-05-09 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2077050

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
For my weekend, I am looking for a small group or a couple of people that may be riding in the Jackson area.  I would like to do a 30-40 mile ride this afternoon and then planning a bike/run brick for Sunday afternoon.  Any ideas of anyone riding in the area today?
2009-05-11 6:27 AM
in reply to: #2140484

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Happy Monday, everyone!

Hope you had a good weekend, whether it included working out or catching up on other stuff.

I had a decent 10-mile run yesterday. It wasn't too hot in the morning, but yucky humid. I was sweaty and stinky when I finished.

I'm sore this morning. That's what taking a couple of weeks off will do...especially when you're in your 40s. I had originally thought I would hit this week hard, but since I am sore, and I do have that race on Sunday, I have backed off that plan.

Anyone else have anything coming up this week? I know Todd is racing in a sprint triathlon this weekend. (And, sorry, about not getting back to you on who might have been riding on Saturday afternoon. I was offline and didn't see your question until later. Maybe in a couple of weeks we can meet up for a ride?)

I have a half marathon on Sunday. And this week I start a speed program (running) that begins with a time trial on Tuesday. Yikes. Anything that sounds like a test makes me worry.

2009-05-11 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2142520

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Karen,
Tell me more about your speed program.  I've just been running to be running.  Trying to get in miles.   I would like to change it up a bit.  But not sure what sort of intervals are appropriate.  And how close to my race I should be attempting interval training.  Once a week, twice a week?  My first tri will be june 14th.

2009-05-11 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2142520

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
kvesey - 2009-05-11 6:27 AM

Happy Monday, everyone!

Hope you had a good weekend, whether it included working out or catching up on other stuff.

I had a decent 10-mile run yesterday. It wasn't too hot in the morning, but yucky humid. I was sweaty and stinky when I finished.

I'm sore this morning. That's what taking a couple of weeks off will do...especially when you're in your 40s. I had originally thought I would hit this week hard, but since I am sore, and I do have that race on Sunday, I have backed off that plan.

Anyone else have anything coming up this week? I know Todd is racing in a sprint triathlon this weekend. (And, sorry, about not getting back to you on who might have been riding on Saturday afternoon. I was offline and didn't see your question until later. Maybe in a couple of weeks we can meet up for a ride?)

I have a half marathon on Sunday. And this week I start a speed program (running) that begins with a time trial on Tuesday. Yikes. Anything that sounds like a test makes me worry.

I am very sore too.  I rode 30 miles on Saturday, then turned around Sunday and rode 30 with a 2 mile brick behind it.  I can fell it today.  I will spend the rest of the week with some easy to moderate workouts to get rid of the soreness before my race on Saturday.

Hope you all have a good week.
2009-05-12 6:16 AM
in reply to: #2142976

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-05-11 9:34 AM Karen,
Tell me more about your speed program.  I've just been running to be running.  Trying to get in miles.   I would like to change it up a bit.  But not sure what sort of intervals are appropriate.  And how close to my race I should be attempting interval training.  Once a week, twice a week?  My first tri will be june 14th.

Marsha,

This particular speed program is set up and put on by the local running store. We're starting with a time trial tonight, and the coaches will use that information, plus our goals, to create workouts for us. The actual running will be once a week, and we'll be doing a mixture of distances, ranging from 200s to a mile. On Thursdays, we'll be doing functional strength training at a sports center.

When I put together my own speed training, I usually keep it to just once a week. I like to mix it up. So, one week, I may do repeats and the next week I may do some steady tempo runs. I also will include hill repeats to help build strength.

Distances really depend on the race you're training for. For a sprint, I would probably do intervals that range from 200s to 1200s. I would work my tempo runs up to at least 20 steady minutes (for example, the first time I do them, I might do 3 x 5 minutes tempo, 5 minutes easy; I would gradually increase the tempo time each session until I could hold 20 minutes).

As for pace, you can use the calculator on this site, http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/.Plug in a recent race time, and it will give you predicted race times as well as suggested training paces for different distances.

I would not do any speed work the same week as a race. Two weeks before, I would keep the speed session short, fast, and focused.

Hope that helps.

2009-05-12 6:18 AM
in reply to: #2143146

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-05-11 10:21 AM

Happy Monday, everyone!

I am very sore too.  I rode 30 miles on Saturday, then turned around Sunday and rode 30 with a 2 mile brick behind it.  I can fell it today.  I will spend the rest of the week with some easy to moderate workouts to get rid of the soreness before my race on Saturday.

Awesome workouts over the weekend! You'll be great at Soak up the Sun.

2009-05-12 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2145031

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
kvesey - 2009-05-12 6:18 AM

Happy Monday, everyone!

Awesome workouts over the weekend! You'll be great at Soak up the Sun.

Thanks Karen, although I was very sore, I can tell my recovery is coming much faster each time.  By this morning I wasn't sore at all.  I am very excited about SUTS.  I was looking at last years times, if I remain consistent with my training times and have good transitions, I may actually have a very good race.  At least I know a lot of the speed demons are volunteering and letting the newbies like myself have a chance at finisher better than last...lol
2009-05-12 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2147275

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-05-12 9:32 PM
kvesey - 2009-05-12 6:18 AM

Thanks Karen, although I was very sore, I can tell my recovery is coming much faster each time.  By this morning I wasn't sore at all.  I am very excited about SUTS.  I was looking at last years times, if I remain consistent with my training times and have good transitions, I may actually have a very good race.  At least I know a lot of the speed demons are volunteering and letting the newbies like myself have a chance at finisher better than last...lol

Yep. Recovery time is a good indicator of fitness. I would say yours is coming along pretty well.

Go, Todd, go!

2009-05-13 9:11 AM

User image

Prattville

After I bike for about 20 minutes, I'm getting numb / in a lot of pain.  Numb in the feet, pain in more sensitive areas.  Do I need a different saddle?  I'm wearing full padding bike shorts and I'm worried about what will happen when I wear tri shorts.

2009-05-13 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2147922

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

cshollon - 2009-05-13 9:11 AM

After I bike for about 20 minutes, I'm getting numb / in a lot of pain.  Numb in the feet, pain in more sensitive areas.  Do I need a different saddle?  I'm wearing full padding bike shorts and I'm worried about what will happen when I wear tri shorts.

First get your bike fit checked. If you are having issues with both the tush and feet, I'm thinking it's not the saddle. Also, if it's only after 20 minutes of riding, seems to me something is definitely awry.  And when you check the fit, make sure to take a look at how your cleats are positioned on your shoes.

I have found that padding is not necessarily the answer when it comes to tush comfort. First, I think most of us have to resolve ourselves to the fact that perching our bony little arses on a bike is never going to be like sitting in our favorite chair, and there will always be some discomfort. However, it should be manageable. For me, and my bony butt, I am more comfortable with less padding (i.e., tri shorts) and a skinny saddle. The key is that you are correctly positioned on the bike/saddle and that comes with a good fit.

Best place to get a bike fit, of course, is at your LBS. It's worth the $.

Edited by kvesey 2009-05-13 9:42 AM
2009-05-13 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2145030

User image

Veteran
Barrington
kvesey - 2009-05-12 6:16 AM

Mars11 - 2009-05-11 9:34 AM Karen,

Marsha,

This particular speed program is set up and put on by the local running store. We're starting with a time trial tonight, and the coaches will use that information, plus our goals, to create workouts for us. The actual running will be once a week, and we'll be doing a mixture of distances, ranging from 200s to a mile. On Thursdays, we'll be doing functional strength training at a sports center.

When I put together my own speed training, I usually keep it to just once a week. I like to mix it up. So, one week, I may do repeats and the next week I may do some steady tempo runs. I also will include hill repeats to help build strength.

Distances really depend on the race you're training for. For a sprint, I would probably do intervals that range from 200s to 1200s. I would work my tempo runs up to at least 20 steady minutes (for example, the first time I do them, I might do 3 x 5 minutes tempo, 5 minutes easy; I would gradually increase the tempo time each session until I could hold 20 minutes).

As for pace, you can use the calculator on this site, http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/.Plug in a recent race time, and it will give you predicted race times as well as suggested training paces for different distances.

I would not do any speed work the same week as a race. Two weeks before, I would keep the speed session short, fast, and focused.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Karen, I'm going to try this out tomorrow.
2009-05-13 11:16 PM
in reply to: #2148020

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
kvesey - 2009-05-13 9:41 AM

cshollon - 2009-05-13 9:11 AM

First get your bike fit checked. If you are having issues with both the tush and feet, I'm thinking it's not the saddle. Also, if it's only after 20 minutes of riding, seems to me something is definitely awry.  And when you check the fit, make sure to take a look at how your cleats are positioned on your shoes.

I have found that padding is not necessarily the answer when it comes to tush comfort. First, I think most of us have to resolve ourselves to the fact that perching our bony little arses on a bike is never going to be like sitting in our favorite chair, and there will always be some discomfort. However, it should be manageable. For me, and my bony butt, I am more comfortable with less padding (i.e., tri shorts) and a skinny saddle. The key is that you are correctly positioned on the bike/saddle and that comes with a good fit.

Best place to get a bike fit, of course, is at your LBS. It's worth the $.

I second the bike fit.  I was having some issues with discomfort, particularly in the perenium (arse) until I was fitted.  I am still having soreness but its only after a couple hours in the saddle.  If you want NO PAIN AT ALL, switch your saddle to the ISM Adamo Racing saddle (MSRP $150-$175), but worth every penny!  If you having numbness in your feet, your cleats are not placed properly or you may have other issues like pronation or some other biomechanical problem.  A good fitter will notice that during the fit if you describe the problems your having.
2009-05-16 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Well, today's race went well, not quite as well as I had hoped but it went well!  I finished in 1:00.  I was shooting for 50 minutes but considering some minor delyas due to traffic, and the fact that someone racked their bike on top of my transition area and I could get to my gear, I can deal with it.

Overall, it was a great race and very well organized with wonderful volunteers.  The timing chip company caused some major problems with the timing and organizing the age groups, heck they didn't enter the Clyde or Athena data at all!  Needless to say, I don't think they will be back next year.  Kutos to the MS Heat Triathlon club, they put on a great event and make me proud to be a member!

2009-05-17 7:36 AM
in reply to: #2155381

User image

Veteran
Barrington
msfugitivehunter - 2009-05-16 8:30 PM Well, today's race went well, not quite as well as I had hoped but it went well!  I finished in 1:00.  I was shooting for 50 minutes but considering some minor delyas due to traffic, and the fact that someone racked their bike on top of my transition area and I could get to my gear, I can deal with it.

Overall, it was a great race and very well organized with wonderful volunteers.  The timing chip company caused some major problems with the timing and organizing the age groups, heck they didn't enter the Clyde or Athena data at all!  Needless to say, I don't think they will be back next year.  Kutos to the MS Heat Triathlon club, they put on a great event and make me proud to be a member!

Congratulations on your race Todd.  That had to have been so frustrating to get to transition and see that someone took over.  That's one of my biggest fears.  Glad you have a good attitude about the whole thing.  And Traffic?  What's that all about.  You're not supposed to have traffic during a race are you?  

I'll have to remember your outlook when I experience my own challenges during my first race in June.  Expecting everything to run smoothly is probably impractical.

2009-05-17 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2155660

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Mars11 - 2009-05-17 7:36 AM
msfugitivehunter - 2009-05-16 8:30 PM Well, today's race went well, not quite as well as I had hoped but it went well!  I finished in 1:00.  I was shooting for 50 minutes but considering some minor delyas due to traffic, and the fact that someone racked their bike on top of my transition area and I could get to my gear, I can deal with it.

Congratulations on your race Todd.  That had to have been so frustrating to get to transition and see that someone took over.  That's one of my biggest fears.  Glad you have a good attitude about the whole thing.  And Traffic?  What's that all about.  You're not supposed to have traffic during a race are you?  

I'll have to remember your outlook when I experience my own challenges during my first race in June.  Expecting everything to run smoothly is probably impractical.

I have only competed in 2 races and each one had its own unique challenges.  The best you can do is be prepared and organized and practive your transitions, over and over.  T1 for me felt really fast and despite the the challenges in T2, I felt fast once I was able to get to my gear.  Some things you just can't plan for!

As far as the traffic, it was an open race course.  There was some traffic and I swear I think I passed the same car 4 times on the bike course.  The car passed me and got hung up behind some slower cyclist and I had to work my way around, nearly having to stop each time, only to have the dang car pass me again up the road.  We repeated this process at least 3 or 4 times.
2009-05-19 11:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Any training going on in here?
2009-05-20 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrington

CURRENT TRAINING:

I've recently added strength training to my workouts.  And experienced more soreness in these last two weeks than I have the past 3 months with all my other tri-training.  So that's a good thing.

The muscle pain has required more recovery time (stretching and massage), the hours on the bike have suffered though.  This morning I was swimming and we were supposed to do a 400 long and strong.  I felt really good so I pushed myself.  One of the other swimmers asked me if we were supposed to be swimming that fast.  I laughed because I think I was just feeling really good in the water, therefore I was cruising at a pretty good pace.

Running has been going pretty well too.  I've been increasing my running miles.  I even met up with a local running group.  It was an awesome experience.  I was so intimidated going into it.  But now I can't wait to meet up with them again.  They are all so encouraging plus conversation helps the time go by.

Biking on the other hand.....I wish I could find a consistent group to ride with.  I'm still spinning and riding a stationary "Expresso" on my own.  I love to ride outside, but I refuse to go my myself.  I bought my first pair of Bike shoes (and pedals) this weekend.  I'm excited to try them out this weekend.  I'm sure it will make a huge difference.

It will be interesting to see how my training is effected once I have 3 children home for the summer.  Childcare at the YMCA here I come.

Count down to first tri - less than 4 weeks!!!
2009-05-20 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2162349

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-05-19 11:18 PM Any training going on in here?

Uhm...yeah.

It's been an interesting week in the Vesey household. A week ago today, hubby had a "fainting" spell. Which earned him not only a trip to the hospital, but also an overnight stay. With our weekend trip to Virginia coming up, it kind of put a hitch in the next 2 days. He's fine. Potassium levels appear to bottom out, so he needs to eat bananas.

I didn't pack my laptop for our weekend getaway...figured the brother-in-law would have a home computer. If he does, it's in the room with the locked door. If he uses his computer for work stuff primarily, then I understand the locked door. But, it kept me offline for the next 4 days.

That was only supposed to be 3 days, but our flight home on Sunday was canceled. We were rebooked for Monday, and finally got home shortly after 5 p.m. Didn't have time to get online that evening, but figured, as long as it was quiet at work, I would catch up when I got in on Tuesday.

However, my network connection was all wacky, going in and out all day, and really thwarting any attempt to either do real work or goof off on BT.

So, I am finally back online. The network issue seems to be resolved (I shouldn't hold my breath, though). I am totally behind.

Ran on my favorite trails in the Fredericksburg, Virginia, battlefield on Saturday morning. Took a quick trip to Richmond to have lunch with my brother and wife. Ran the Marine Corps Historic Half on Sunday morning in the cool rain. Monday was a bust. Did speed work last night (4x800s). I was supposed to swim this morning, but the pool was closed temporarily, and I didn't have the luxury of waiting for it to reopen, so just headed to work. I will do the Ride of Silence tonight with our cycle club. Tomorrow's a run and functional strength workout. Friday I think I will join a group ride from the LBS. Saturday, swim (finally!) and ride. Sunday, run.

Congrats on your race at SUTS, Todd! Sounds like it was a resounding success. You managed the challenges tossed your way, and pressed on for some good results. Next up: Heatwave!

Edited by kvesey 2009-05-20 9:23 AM

2009-05-20 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
How did you do in the Marine Corps Historical?  SOunds like you had an interesting week.

As far as SUTS, I wanted :50 but I will take 1:00 considering.  I am ramping up the training, I am shooting for a HIM next year, if not later this year.  Time for 2 a days!!!!
2009-05-23 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Had a great 20 mile ride today followed by a brick run.  Weather was a little moist, but kept the temps down....that was good.  Will have a short run tomorrow and then a triple brick on Monday!
2009-05-25 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2170224

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-05-23 8:47 PM Had a great 20 mile ride today followed by a brick run.  Weather was a little moist, but kept the temps down....that was good.  Will have a short run tomorrow and then a triple brick on Monday!

Great job! Let us know how that triple brick goes today. I did those when training for my half and full ironman races. They sure help with the mental part (just because everything can seem easy).

I was going to do the club's ride this morning, but they have cancelled it. Not sure how my day will go now. I do need to swim. And it's been a while since I've had a good bike ride. But a lot of stuff at home is calling my name too. I think I need a 48-hour day.

2009-05-25 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

So, just wanted to say, sorry for the long silence. Between the hospital trip for hubby, traveling, having network issues at work, and my computer in the shop, I was not finding myself at a keyboard to do my due diligence.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day as we honor those who served and died for the freedoms we enjoy.

I will be back later to talk about the functional performance training I've been doing the last couple of weeks. It's pretty cool and easily adaptable to everyday training (i.e., no need to go to a special place). 

Have a great day and happy training!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  

of 11