BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-04-27 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2082508

User image

Subject: RE: kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!!

I had a great workout this weekend. The weather was perfect and I really wish I a had a bike. I am still getting my bike exercise from spin class. I hope to get a bike in the next couple of weeks. I did an hour spin class and then did a 2 mile run outside.

I had a question about what is the best workout to do with limited time. This week I have the GMAT exam on Wednesday and my family flying in for the Quail Hollow golf tournament. Normally if I don’t spend at least and an hour at the gym I feel like my workout was worthless. I might have 20-30 minutes a day to exercise. Should I focus on sprints and high intensity running?

2009-04-27 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2112654

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
weber02 - 2009-04-27 10:59 AM Anyone have info/input/advice on a decent, inexpense tri bike? As a beginner, I'm sure you can relate to not wanting to spend lots of mula yet on equipment, nonethetless, have something other than a mountain bike purchased at Meijer's from years ago.

My .02 - I would go for a road bike not a tri bike.  They are suited to racing, training, and general riding whereas a tri bike is for racing and training (by yourself - for some reason tri bikes are discouraged in group rides)

I ride a TREK 1500, and am quite happy with it
2009-04-27 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2112654

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

weber02 - 2009-04-27 8:59 AM Anyone have info/input/advice on a decent, inexpense tri bike? As a beginner, I'm sure you can relate to not wanting to spend lots of mula yet on equipment, nonethetless, have something other than a mountain bike purchased at Meijer's from years ago.

A used bike that fits you.  A lot of brands will fit differently, but most are of decent quality.  Do some reserach at local bike shops and talk with their fitters to get an idea of what size bike you should get.  then once you aquire a bike, pay a profressional to fit you.  You will reap dividends from that.

2009-04-27 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2112603

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

weber02 - 2009-04-27 8:39 AM Ken, I indeed had an awesome workout. I started a high impact step aerobic class last year and continue to punish myself in it three times a week. The instructor is a marathon runner as well and takes no prisoners. Most guys see it as too feminine to do, however, I can tell you that after 27 years of Army training, this is challenging! In addition, I joined a triatlhlon club (Infinite Multisports Triathlon Club) in my area. They have a USAT tri coach on board in addition to being very supportive. The coach there recommended a book-The Triathletes Training Bible, it's a good read and packed with info as well ($26.00 at Barnes and Noble). First race is a sprint in July...excited about it!

The training bible is a great book as long as you take the time to analyize all the info and apply it to yourself.  It is very detailed and scientific.  It won't lay out a plan for you, but it will give you the tools to create your own plan.  Read it interactively, meaning don't just sit on the couch and read through it.  As you go, highlight, take notes, etc

2009-04-27 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2113635

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Mainer22 - 2009-04-27 2:14 PM
weber02 - 2009-04-27 10:59 AM Anyone have info/input/advice on a decent, inexpense tri bike? As a beginner, I'm sure you can relate to not wanting to spend lots of mula yet on equipment, nonethetless, have something other than a mountain bike purchased at Meijer's from years ago.

My .02 - I would go for a road bike not a tri bike.  They are suited to racing, training, and general riding whereas a tri bike is for racing and training (by yourself - for some reason tri bikes are discouraged in group rides)

I ride a TREK 1500, and am quite happy with it

X2...      if you only have one bike, a road bike is the way to go.  The reason tri bikes are discouraged in group settings, is because they are less stable.  the geometry of a tri bike is made to go in a straight line.  Also, Aero bars are a big no, no in groups becuase you could potentially swerve over and hit someone wrecking yourself and others.  (generally less stable)

2009-04-27 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2113353

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

sebeniecherm - 2009-04-27 12:40 PM

I had a great workout this weekend. The weather was perfect and I really wish I a had a bike. I am still getting my bike exercise from spin class. I hope to get a bike in the next couple of weeks. I did an hour spin class and then did a 2 mile run outside.

I had a question about what is the best workout to do with limited time. This week I have the GMAT exam on Wednesday and my family flying in for the Quail Hollow golf tournament. Normally if I don’t spend at least and an hour at the gym I feel like my workout was worthless. I might have 20-30 minutes a day to exercise. Should I focus on sprints and high intensity running?

high intensity is good as long as you don't over do it.  (ie: if something starts to hurt or you are really sore the next day, back off

Try this sequence for run or bike.  start with 3-5 minutes of warm up.  Over the next 5 minutes, gradually build your effort to a high zone 4 or 5.  (on a 5 zone scale)  recover with an easy effort for 2 minutes then repeat 2-4 times.  cool down for a few minutes.  Simple, but effective.

2009-04-27 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2111463

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA

kenaxford - 2009-04-26 8:16 PM

Did everyone have good workouts this weekend? 

I did, but the devil tempted me with chocolate cake. 

I had a nice bike ride on Saturday and a rest day on Sunday.  The ride was kind of slow though as there there three people with mountain bikes.  That was my first ride out this year and I felt better than I thought I would... even on some hills.  However, I can feel my "sits" bones

Chocolate cake is okay everyone once in a while.  I had strawberry pie... yummy!!!

2009-04-27 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2108275

User image

Veteran
Williamson, GA

Mainer22 - 2009-04-24 2:02 PM

Who of us is racing first, and what distance??  My first one (sprint)  is July 11th

I'm debating on a sprint in Virginia on June 20th.  It will be wet suit legal in (supposedly) very clear water, which sounds interesting to me.  I'm going to be in VA for a family vacation the following week and am tempted to do it just for the practice.  I don't think I'll really be ready, but may do it anyway.

My first official one is August 9th (Sprint) and August 22nd (Sprint).

2009-04-27 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Terry, If you train consistantly from now until race time, you will be ready.  go have fun and make mom jealous that she's not doing it !!!  i wish I could do it with you.

2009-04-27 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2113816

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
tw04429 - 2009-04-27 4:39 PM

I'm debating on a sprint in Virginia on June 20th. 

What race is that?
2009-04-28 8:50 AM

Thanks to you Ken and all others that contributed to bike advice. As a novice cycler, I know nothing about bikes and want to learn from the experience of others before making a costly mistake. As for the Triathlete training Bible, indeed I am reading through it and taking notes as I progress through it. Maybe I'm being too analytical, however, I really want to research the science of triathlon as well as just work out and do. Perhaps I'll learn some economizing techniques along the way in each event. Having spent so many years in the Army under a  "no pain, no gain" attitude toward fitness, I've learned from prolonged injuries and recovery that technique is ever important.  

Thanks for all of the input, family!

Paul

2009-04-28 11:05 AM

User image

New user
Well I did my first triathlon this weekend.   2 weeks ago my daughter got sick and had 103 temp. found out it was the flu.  3 days later my wife came down with it.  I was still training & feeling great.  Then it finally hit me last week on Tues.  My race was going to be on Saturday.  Arrgghh! I was in bed all day on Wed  with 101 temp. Thurs headache & sore, Fri. weak like you can believe, with a slight cough.  I went & swam some to see how I was going to feel.  I was weak but heck I've planned on this for 4 months, so dad-gumit I was going to do it anyway.  What an idiot.  Fron Tues - Sat. I slept an average of 2 hours per night.  Partly because of nerves, partly because I was sick.  I was a walking zombie by the time the race started.

This was an Xterra race through the woods with lots of rocks & ups & downs.  It was overcast with no sun.  The swim was on the north side of the lake with a south by southwest 25 mph wind with gusts up to 35.  White caps were so abundant it looked kinda skeery.  The swells were 1 to 2', I know because in the swim when I was down in one of the troughs, I couldn't see people in front of me.  Water temperature was a cool 68. It was so bad, the race officials changed it from 1000 m to 500 m.  Since my wife challenged me to do this in the first place, she decided she would do it too.   The crosswind was so bad, I couldn't even do freestyle.  I kept going off course so bad, I eventually had to swm the whole way sidestroke. 

Needless to say, I survived.  From being sick, I was exhausted going around the course but I finished & so did my wife.  I beat a 68 yr old guy who had had two flats and a guy who got a major flesh puncture wound out on the bike course.  I haven't been sore but I am recovering from a slight case of bronchitis.  I'm waiting for that to subside to ramp up my training.  My next scheduled race is May 31st. 
2009-04-28 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2115502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Wow

Sounds like your Tri-Initiation was an experience that you won't forget !

Congratulations on finishing
2009-04-28 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

darren !!!  that suxxx.  I hate that your first tri experience was a rough one.  (very rough!!)  however, the first one is done.  now you know what to expect for the next one.  It can only get better from here.

rest up and I hope you feel better quickly. 

PS.  get better before you start training again.  don't rush it.

2009-04-28 3:33 PM

Veteran
Congrats fire eagle and Mrs. fire eagle....way to go!  That sounds like it was a tough race for you in almost every conceivable way but you managed to get'r done.  I hope you still enjoyed yourself.
2009-04-28 5:18 PM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Wow fire eagle! That's one heck of an experience! Congrats on finishing though.

What's next? Tongue out

2009-04-28 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2116722

User image

New user

Thanks everybody for the encouragement.  It was a great experience though I wouldn't want to do it exactly the same way next time.  I do need to practice some more open water training.  Hey, it does make for great conversation. 
And  I did enjoy being out running/jogging/walking on the trail.  Its always fun running through the woods...alone. Ha,  Oh well, we are laughing about it now. 
I have an olympic (1500 m swim, 40K bike, 10k run) at the end of May.  Hopefully, I'll be ready. 
I wonder who has the next one coming up?

2009-04-28 8:37 PM

houston
Hey everybody, great hearing all of your stories.

Ken, wondered what experience you have had with aero wheels.  The only people passing me during my last tri had aero wheels.  Yes they also had calves like tree trunks, 1% bodyfat, and probably bike a lot more than I do, BUT I want every second I can get.  So I was considering and HED 3 with a renn rear wheel disc, or Flashpoint 80 in back and 60 in front, or will I just look like an idiot going 20 mph (actually 20.5 if the new gear works)? 
2009-04-29 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

aero wheels can make a definite improvement, but they are one of the most costly investments you can make.  (doller per time saved)  The typical mid pack age group athlete could save as much as 1 minute per 40k.  (standard international distance)  The faster you go, the more time they save you.  This estimate is avery general guidline and in no way assumes you will see that much time savings, but that is a good approximation.

food for thoguht:  85% of wind resistance comes from the body.  15% from equipment (bike, clothes, helmets, etc)  $150 on a  bike fit could be a much better investment if you have not had one yet.

If you end up purchasing some wheels, I would go with the 80 mm back and 60 mm front.  Only buy a disc if you can afford a 3rd aero wheel.  windy and hilly races will negate the effect of a disc.  That could cost you time and be dangerous in windy conditions.

I hope that helps.

2009-04-29 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Ken,

What kind of tips do you have for swim breathing? I've been back in the pool for about a month and doing the beginner swim programs (700yds) from the site here.

I feel like my swimming is getting better, but I feel practically hypoxic after about 50-100yds!

There's a nice old lady at my pool who offers unsolicited swimming advice, and she said I was opening my mouth too wide. Maybe trying to take too big a breath, and to open it half as wide...

Now, I realize you've never seen me swim, but is there general advice you have for stuff like that?

Thanks!
2009-04-29 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2117765

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

mattierocks - 2009-04-29 7:16 AM Ken,

What kind of tips do you have for swim breathing? I've been back in the pool for about a month and doing the beginner swim programs (700yds) from the site here.

I feel like my swimming is getting better, but I feel practically hypoxic after about 50-100yds!

There's a nice old lady at my pool who offers unsolicited swimming advice, and she said I was opening my mouth too wide. Maybe trying to take too big a breath, and to open it half as wide...

Now, I realize you've never seen me swim, but is there general advice you have for stuff like that?

Thanks!

That's a hard subject sight unseen.  Typically what I see if you are really out of breath is a lack of effeciency in your swim storke.  (not necessarilly just your breathing)  However, if your breathing is the problem, try breathing 3 strokes to one side and then 3 strokes to the other.  Keep your ear in the water.  (think about keeping your head in line with your body, just rotating it to the side)

A lesson or two from a good coach might be money well spent.  it always helps having a 3rd party perspective.  They should provide you at least 1 but no more than 3 things to work on until your next lesson.

When working with a client, I always create a list in my head of things that need improvment and prioritize based on what will help the most.  I then create a drill or two and practice with the swimmer so they know what it feels like and then have them incorporate that into their swim for however long it takes to become natural.  then and only then move on to the next thing.

Sorry I can't hel pmuch more than that.

2009-04-29 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2105539

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

sebeniecherm - 2009-04-23 10:41 AM

Hey Ken,

I did a short run yesterday of a little over 1 mile. It took about 10 minutes and my legs felt really good. My shins were getting a little sore at the very end, but nothing like the pain I was experiencing before. I did some research on form and technique at it really helped. I really tried to focus on using my quads and knee to bring my leg forward and land underneath my body. I can't wait to run a little further tomorrow.

Mike I forgot about one thing on the USAT website that might help with regard to your run training.  They published some running tips I offered them.  Check out this link: http://usatriathlon.org/news/article/8139

2009-04-29 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2117011

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
fire eagle - 2009-04-28 8:53 PM

I wonder who has the next one coming up?

I went by the listed Tri Races in our profiles (some of you had multiple races scheduled, but that was way too much effort for me so I just grabbed your first scheduled one ) -

TRI RACE SCHEDULE

• wsandford  -  May 9
  • trinity          -  May 17
  • mattierocks -  May 31
  • fire eagle     -  May 31
  • kenaxford   -  June 20
  • skyle           -  June 28
  • weber02      -  July 4
  • Mainer22     -  July 11
  • yvettem       -  July 26
  • tw04429      -  Aug 9
  • Kurtie          -   Sept 13
  • gpdtx           -  none listed
  • mouseman   -   none listed
  • sebeniecherm -  none listed

Edited by Mainer22 2009-04-29 12:54 PM
2009-04-29 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2117688

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
kenaxford - 2009-04-29 8:54 AM

aero wheels can make a definite improvement, but they are one of the most costly investments you can make.  (doller per time saved)  The typical mid pack age group athlete could save as much as 1 minute per 40k.  (standard international distance)  The faster you go, the more time they save you.  This estimate is avery general guidline and in no way assumes you will see that much time savings, but that is a good approximation.

food for thoguht:  85% of wind resistance comes from the body.  15% from equipment (bike, clothes, helmets, etc)  $150 on a  bike fit could be a much better investment if you have not had one yet.

If you end up purchasing some wheels, I would go with the 80 mm back and 60 mm front.  Only buy a disc if you can afford a 3rd aero wheel.  windy and hilly races will negate the effect of a disc.  That could cost you time and be dangerous in windy conditions.

I hope that helps.

ahh, fantastic subject Laughing

Ken,  I'm focusing on SPRINT TRI's in 2009, partly because I am new at this and partly because I don't really like running - I could handle the longer swims and bikes of an Olympic distance, but at this point I'm not interested in racing longer than a 5k.

For me, I'm doing this to be competitive (with myself via the times of the different events) and within my AG. 

I will rehearse transitions ahead of time, I will bike and run the race courses ahead of time, and I will train as smartly and as hard as possible between now and then

In terms of gaining "free time" at the sprint distance, what can I do?

SWIM - wetsuit?

BIKE - I ride a Trek1500, perhaps a TRI Bike is in my future but not in 2009.  Clip on aerobars, aero helmet, bikefit?

GENERAL - Tri suit?

Not really sure of any of the above things actual cost, which could be a factor with my wife Yell, but what do you think would be worth looking into further?

2009-04-29 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

great questions.  Based on the things you asked about, I will list the things that I think are most important when comparing gained speed per dollar spent.

1.  Aero bars and a bike fit.  (they have to go together)

2. tri suit - saved time in transition along with better hydrodynamics and aerodynamics

3.  wetsuit - full suit only (no johns) go with mid level or higher, it's worth the extra money.

4.  aero helmet

5.  tri bike

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  

of 11