BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Just Us Girls Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-12-31 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2562810

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: Lora's Just Us Girls Group - CLOSED
Also, on the topic of flip turns-

I never do flip turns in the pool. they look cool and they help you complete your laps faster because you get more out of the push off. But, if you're just doing tris, they are not necessary since tris are usually point to point swims and not pool swims. There are many triathletes who are very strong swimmers and do not do flip turns.

That said, one of these days, it's going to show up on my list of monthly goals because I always like to learn new cool things.

2009-12-31 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2585954

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Skywashed - 2009-12-31 9:48 AM Amy,

Thanks for posting your story. The amount of exercise you currently describe will certainly help with your weight loss goals. I find it inspiring when active people approach weight loss because theres a lot of potential for success if you modify eating habits.

Training for tris can burn a ton of calories. You can jump start your metabolism by eating small healthy snacks multiple times per day. Eating often helps fuel good workouts.

Everybody,

I'm glad we're talking about being inspired by older triathletes. A couple years ago I met a woman at the pool who, as soon as she walked in, I thought "Here comes a triathlete." She grabbed the lane next to me and I learned that she was 60 years old (she looked 40 to me) and typically wins her age group at Chicago each year. I decided then that I want to be like her when I am 60.

Every time I blow out the candles on my birthday cake, my wish has something to do with still being a triathlete at an older age. (I won't tell the exact wish since telling your birthday wish invalidates it.... )

I posted over on GOTRIbal that 2008 was my first year of tris, and that the year I die will be my last season. I, too, am just completely inspired by those older than me. In 2008, at Kona, there was 75-year-old Harriet who was on her 17th Ironman! This year, there was a fellow in his seventies, I believer, finishing his 20th Ironman! I love it!

2009-12-31 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2585977

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Skywashed - 2009-12-31 9:53 AM Also, on the topic of flip turns-

I never do flip turns in the pool. they look cool and they help you complete your laps faster because you get more out of the push off. But, if you're just doing tris, they are not necessary since tris are usually point to point swims and not pool swims. There are many triathletes who are very strong swimmers and do not do flip turns.

That said, one of these days, it's going to show up on my list of monthly goals because I always like to learn new cool things.

I'm glad you brought this up, Marcy. First, I can't do flip turns - yet! When I train in the pool, I really don't even push off; just touch the other end, turn around, put my face in the water and push off just barely. In an open water swim, as Marcy said, there is no turning around or pushing off so I try to mimic that as much as possible in the pool.

Having said all that, for me, personally, I still want to learn how to do them. I've got this indoor tri next Saturday and having that skill in this particular venue would really help me go further in 20 minutes. Why, just actually pushing off hard on the wall now has taken 20 seconds per 100 off my time. Pretty substantial.

Learn how to do them if you desire, but they are not critical to being a triathlete. I'd rather you work on bilateral breathing, or a high elbow, or rotating or...

2009-12-31 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey Marcy - good point on flip turns, Tanya over at GoTRIbal told me the same thing, she added that practicing technique  is way more beneficial than learning flip turns.  That said, although you don't do flip turns in open water swims, you don't get to touch a wall for a potential rest every 25 yards either - so for me I want to learn so I can continuously swim and simulate open water swimming as much as possible until May when I can get in the water.  Brr.  Lets not think about that now.  I pretty much only open water train because the closest pool is so far away from me.  I average a swim every other week in the winter, some weeks I get to go every week. I miss swimming whenever I want though, big time.

2009-12-31 4:51 PM

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
Hey ladies,

You are all so funny.  I spy on people underwater too!  I understand about the flip-turn thing...it's not going to benefit me in open water.  I just want to look cool!

So they write your age on your leg??????  Boy I have a lot to learn.  There will be a 43 on my leg in June.

By the way...I have no picture on my profile because all of the pictures I have on my computer are "too large" to download.  I will figure it out soon though.  It's nice to have an image of some sort to go along with your names on this forum.

Anyway...I love all your stories and advice so far!   Looking forward to more.  Happy New Year!!!

Jeri
2009-12-31 5:01 PM
in reply to: #2586962

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
jgrigg - 2009-12-31 5:51 PM Hey ladies,

You are all so funny.  I spy on people underwater too!  I understand about the flip-turn thing...it's not going to benefit me in open water.  I just want to look cool!

So they write your age on your leg??????  Boy I have a lot to learn.  There will be a 43 on my leg in June.

By the way...I have no picture on my profile because all of the pictures I have on my computer are "too large" to download.  I will figure it out soon though.  It's nice to have an image of some sort to go along with your names on this forum.

Anyway...I love all your stories and advice so far!   Looking forward to more.  Happy New Year!!!

Jeri

Yup, they write your age on the back of your leg and your race number on the top of your arm. If your age "accidentally" gets wiped off or you wear compression socks, then no one will see it. 

If you use Windows, do a search for Picture Manager. It will let compress it for you with the click of a button. If you don't have that, download a program off of www.irfanview.com. Our Web site programmers told me about this and it does some of the best compression out there.  Or you can e-mail me the pic you want ([email protected]) and I'll be happy to compress if for you and e-mail it back.

Happy New Year to everyone!

2010-01-02 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2586971

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI

Thank you Lora...I figured out how to compress my pictures and download a few.

Also watched the flip-turn video.  I was doing it all wrong!!!

Jeri

2010-01-02 3:25 PM

User image

Great picture Jeri!!! Lora what did I do wrong with my run today!
2010-01-02 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2589327

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
jgrigg - 2010-01-02 2:04 PM

Thank you Lora...I figured out how to compress my pictures and download a few.

Also watched the flip-turn video.  I was doing it all wrong!!!

Jeri

Glad you got the pics figured out and I'm glad that video was helpful, too. Good day.
2010-01-02 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2589514

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
J.Jill - 2010-01-02 4:25 PM Great picture Jeri!!! Lora what did I do wrong with my run today!

First off, Patricia, you get big kudos from me for running that long on the treadmill. I've found, (and I know of others who've had the same experience - not everyone, but a lot), that I go slower on the treadmill vs. running outside. People smarter than me could probably explain it, but it's not unusual.
2010-01-02 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
OK, for the gals in our group who have yet to finish a tri, BT just put together this really great, comprehensive guide that is...well, awesome. Here's the link to it:  http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1918... />

2010-01-03 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2589752

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey Lora, thanks for the link...that is awesome, so much info!  I am reading the HR monitor stuff now.

2010-01-03 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2590798

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
manfarr1974 - 2010-01-03 2:37 PM Hey Lora, thanks for the link...that is awesome, so much info!  I am reading the HR monitor stuff now.

Good good good! I heart BT!
2010-01-04 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Hi ladies,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get with it here. Getting ready for the holidays threw me for a loop this time for some reason. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season.

Well here is my story:

Name twohearted/Karen

Story

I have no background in any of the 3 disciplines. I have always worked out my whole life to keep my weight down, usually aerobic classes, kick boxing or weight training. 3 years ago my husband got back into triathlon and did a few races. He was always telling me that I would be a good triathlete and I would just laugh at him.After watching him race for 2 seasons and seeing all the different people doing this(different ages, sizes and athletic ability) I started to think that maybe I could do it and to my surprise I did it and loved it. After watching my husband finish B2B Full Iron I don't think that I will ever want to do one due to all the hours of training but, I do think that in a year or 2 I could see myself doing a Half Iron(if I can get my irrational fear of the open water swim under control).

Family Status

I am 49 years old. Married to my best friend and training partner. We have 5 children and 4 grandchildren, 2 Rottweilers and 2 cats.

Current Training

Starting a Masters swim program this week. Running as much as I can and getting on the trainer at least 2 times a week, living in SE MI means no biking outside so we get together with other BTers and have winter trainerfests. Normally I train 4-5 times a week. I hope to get back to that now that the kids are back to school and we can get back into a routine. I work part-time as a RN so getting my training in once I start a plan is usually pretty easy to fit in as long as I get it done early in the day, I am a morning person so if I don't get my workouts done in the morning I can easily not do them.

Last Year’s Races

3/15/09 Corktown 4mi Detroit, MI

5/10/09 Run Like A Mother 10K Harrison Twsp

5/31/09 Hawk Island Sprint Tri Lansing MI(my first tri

8/9/09 Sylvanian Sprint Tri Sylvania, OH

9/12/09 Tawas Festival of Tris Sprint Tawas, MI

10/11/09 Towpath HM Clevland, OH

This Year’s Races

3/14/10 Corktown 4 mi. run Detroit, MI

4/25/10 Glass City HM Toledo, OH

5/22/10 Grosse Ile DU Grosse Ile, MI

6/19/10 Maumee Bay Girls Tri too Mini Sprint(my 13 yo daughter wants to do this with me)

6/20/10 Maumee Bay Tri Sprint Toledo, OH

8/15/10 Petosky Tri Sprint Petosky, MI

9/11/10 Tawas Festival of Tris OLY Tawas, MI

11/7/10 Wrightsville Beach HM Willmington, NC

Weight Loss

I have lost 30 lbs since starting my training. I would like to loss maybe 15 more.

Lora, thanks for mentoring. This sounds like a great group of ladies. I think we will have lots of fun

Karen

Edited by twohearted 2010-01-04 10:54 AM
2010-01-04 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Hey Jeri, we don't live too far from one another. I am in Canton Twp. Check out the MI forum. There are lots of folks around here to train with. There is always something going on. Maybe we can meet up sometime for a run or a trainer ride. Watch the forum for Trainerfests, they are a lot of fun. It would give you a chance to meet some real nice people to train with.

Karen

2010-01-04 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2593326

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
Hey Karen...I was excited to see someone else from Michigan in the group!!  I have just discovered Beginner Triathlete.com so everything is new to me.  I will check out the Michigan group for sure!

I look forward to meeting some local people to train with..yes...maybe we can take a run or whatever sometime.

The sprint tri I am planning to do is the Motor City Triathalon on Belle Isle in June.  Am I crazy to swim in the Detroit River?????

Take Care,

Jeri

2010-01-04 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Jeri, you are not crazy to swim in the Detroit River. I am such a chicken when it comes to the swim. I have to so see it first and I like to do a test swim first. I don't know what happens to me when I get out in the water over my head I kind of panic.

I am sure there will be lots of local BTers doing the Motor City. Maybe I'll come to cheer you on. There are a lot of nice races here in MI.

Talk to you soon, Karen

2010-01-04 7:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison
Looks like a lot of us are from the upper Midwest.  Maybe we should plan a girls weekend?  Hahaha.

Just entered day 1 of training for 2010.  Need to find a good Oly plan with an emphasis on running.  Does anyone know how the Silver membership on BT is different than the Bronze?  Last year I signed up for Bronze but truthfully was disappointed in the training programs since they were very, very basic (ex. run 28 minutes....bike 32 minutes).  Guess I am looking for something with more "goals" or training notes than that.

2010-01-04 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Amy, a girls weekend sounds good to me.

I started a silver 12 wk basic RPE plan last season and it was slow to start but started picking up pretty good. I ended up switching to a sprint half way through due to time and my swim wasn't coming along like I wanted it to. This year I will do an OLY, I hope I will probably use the same plan.

Karen

Edited by twohearted 2010-01-04 7:46 PM
2010-01-04 9:03 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Oh man, wish I could go to a Tri girls weekend!  

I am on the silver plan right now and you do get more options in plans and some more options.  There is a page somewhere on BT that has a spreadsheet comparing each of the plans...I will look for it in the morning and post it for you.  It might help you decide.

OK I found it HERE   Scroll down past #11, it has a chart that compares the plans.

Cheers,

Mandy

Edited by manfarr1974 2010-01-04 9:06 PM
2010-01-06 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2592376

User image

I have a Rottie too!!!

2010-01-06 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison
Question for you girls.  How do you track spin workouts on your logs?  I usually just put in 15 miles for the hour of class because that's what I average on the road.  I know that spin time doesn't really equate to road time but I still want to track some kind of mileage versus just time on the bike.  Any suggestions?

1 week into the new year.  My masters swim coach just quit our gym ---and I've already paid the dues.  Now I need to find a new class quick ---looks like I won't be swimming for a couple of weeks yet since I am just not modivated to swim laps with no one yelling at me.
2010-01-06 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison
Question for you girls.  How do you track spin workouts on your logs?  I usually just put in 15 miles for the hour of class because that's what I average on the road.  I know that spin time doesn't really equate to road time but I still want to track some kind of mileage versus just time on the bike.  Any suggestions?

1 week into the new year.  My masters swim coach just quit our gym ---and I've already paid the dues.  Now I need to find a new class quick ---looks like I won't be swimming for a couple of weeks yet since I am just not modivated to swim laps with no one yelling at me.
2010-01-06 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2597437

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

J.Jill - 2010-01-06 10:37 AM I have a Rottie too!!!

I  love my Rottie's. They are like bike cuddly bear cubs

I did my first Master's swim today and I loved it. I found out that I really can swim.  I think this is going to help me lots. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to over come panic attacks in open water? They are not so bad that I have to quit but, they really mess up my time.

Amy, I log my spin classes the same way you do when I go to the gym. I have a cadence sensor for my Garmin for my trainer rides at home. $38. on Amozon. I  love it.

Edited by twohearted 2010-01-06 4:40 PM
2010-01-06 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2597929

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Amy - I do what you do to figure out distance on a trainer.  When I am off my trainer and my front wheel actually gets to move, I have a bike computer that tells me all of that stuff. Cost ~ $40.  You can definitely drop some $ on those things, but I break small electronic stuff (then I take it apart to figure out what I did wrong...it has never worked out in my favor).  I haven't broken it yet

Karen - In the summer I only open-water swim (pool is far away) - I think the secret to being more comfortable is to do it a lot.  You do get more comfortable in the open water the more you do it.  A friend in the water instead of in a boat helps too, you don't feel so alone. 

It is funny, I still get the heebie-jeebies sometimes.  Most of the time my moments of freaking out are completely inconsistent with reality.  Once time, I went for a swim across Wyman Lake (yes, a shark-free lake...or so they say) and I was half way across and suddenly the Jaws theme started playing in my head and I was convinced I was being hunted by a Great White....Da da da da dadadadada... Then this other time I saw bubbles come up underneath me (the lake is full of springs) but I was positive that the monster from the deep was after me.  I usually stop, count to 5, and I calm down.  Or I just start swimming really fast. 

But really, the more you open water swim, the more comfortable you are with it - at least that is my experience. 

Cheers,
Mandy

Edited by manfarr1974 2010-01-06 5:14 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Just Us Girls Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11