BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-01-03 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2590862

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL

GorgeousGeorge - 2010-01-03 3:30 PM
karen26.2 - 2010-01-03 12:23 PM Trying to motivate myself to get out side for a run.  It was 17 degrees with wind chill factor of I don't know what this morning.  It's now made it's way into the 20's.  Brrr!

What's everyone else doing today?

I ran 8 yesterday, it was 25.  As per usual after the first 4 or 5 min. its not all that bad.  I took everyone's advice on the shoes.  I'm wearing my old ones for these last two weeks and will wear them to race in next Sunday.  My legs felt fine yesterday after the run, so I'm thinking I'll be alright.

Dustin,

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/

had some very good deals before Christmas!

Take care

YouYou

Edited by YouYou 2010-01-03 5:39 PM

2010-01-03 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2588036

User image

Regular

spyguy7540 - 2010-01-01 3:59 PM

On a side note - Does anyone know of some good swimming drills? I look like a frightened monkey when I swim and really cant afford lessons atm.

Thanks guys!

Andrew,

You could have a look at the following book:

http://tinyurl.com/ycok2eh

It gives drills for all strokes.

A good source is Youtube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UnwMh8v715g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OsfFjdnzGc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXsE7apdQMs&feature=related

Etc.

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-03 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2579594

User image

Regular

wyldhair - 2009-12-28 1:33 AM

I am happy to help you where I can in achieving your 1:50 goal.  You mentioned you haven't started a training plan this year.  Based on the information you have already given, I think you would benefit from a training plan that is based on Heart Rate training.  You fade at the end of the run in HIM. By doing more of your running in low heart rate (zone 1-2) you can become much faster at lower heart rates and you extend how long you can run above your threshold. this will make the end of your race much more comfortable and faster.  Also... muscular endurance on the bike is best achieved with long steady tempo segments (zone 3-4) in bigger gears. Do you train with a heart rate monitor? 

Hello Rochelle,

Seems like the chicken pox has really knocked you out. Get well soon!

Regarding training with a heart rate monitor. I have one and use it on all my runs and bike rides.

I think that there are three main reasons why I faded on the run part in my Half Ironman:

1) Haven't done enough long runs before. Had a few rough weeks before the race and skipped some long runs. Not good - but sometimes life sweeps you out of the boat, doesn't it?

2) Nutrition. Although is was constantly eating on the bike I am not sure if I consumed enough calories

3) Weather - gee, it was REALLY hot during the run. I was not too much used to the heat.

I will ask some question regarding setting up the heart rate zones and various type of runs in a separate thread!

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-03 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2590703

User image

Regular

karen26.2 - 2010-01-03 1:23 PM Trying to motivate myself to get out side for a run.  It was 17 degrees with wind chill factor of I don't know what this morning.  It's now made it's way into the 20's.  Brrr!

Karen,

Is shoveling snow considered as a good workout? This is what I was doing - and preparing mentally for the start of the week!

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-03 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2591185

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
YouYou - 2010-01-03 7:08 PM

karen26.2 - 2010-01-03 1:23 PM Trying to motivate myself to get out side for a run.  It was 17 degrees with wind chill factor of I don't know what this morning.  It's now made it's way into the 20's.  Brrr!

Karen,

Is shoveling snow considered as a good workout? This is what I was doing - and preparing mentally for the start of the week!

Take care

YouYou

Yes, I would say shoveling snow is a good workout.  I would hate it though.  How much did you have to shovel?  I've never lived in the snow.  I think I'd like it, except for the getting around part on the roads and driveway.

I did get out for an 8 mle run, when I finished it was 20 with the wind chill.  I was cold but glad I made myself get outside.
2010-01-03 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2591434

User image

New user
karen26.2 - 2010-01-03 7:54 PM
YouYou - 2010-01-03 7:08 PM

Karen,

Take care

YouYou

Yes, I would say shoveling snow is a good workout.  I would hate it though.  How much did you have to shovel?  I've never lived in the snow.  I think I'd like it, except for the getting around part on the roads and driveway.

I did get out for an 8 mle run, when I finished it was 20 with the wind chill.  I was cold but glad I made myself get outside.

I hear you on the snow. I have been a shoveling machine this weekend. Snow started on friday and didnt stop until this afternoon. all in all I measured 29 inches in the back yard. Sheesh.

Anyway,

Youyou, thanks for the great recommendations. If I could add on book to your list. Believe it or not "The Complete Idiot's guide to triathalon training has been excellent." Picked it up a couple of days ago, only 4 chapters in but I feel like I have already learned alot.

Anyway,

Have a good night all!

2010-01-03 10:34 PM
in reply to: #2582531

User image

Mammoth Lakes
GorgeousGeorge - 2009-12-29 12:26 PM
You You - 2009-12-27 7:57 PM

GorgeousGeorge - 2009-12-23 1:29 PM
wyldhair - 2009-12-22 11:53 AM
But in the meantime, I have goal setting exercise I want you to think about.  A goal actually has many parts and we often don't take the time to set them much less realize what makes up the our own goals.  The who, what, and whys of our own wants.    

Take a few minutes to think about what you want to achieve in the next few months,  when you are going to do it, and most importantly the reason you are doing it.  I want everyone to post back to me at least one goal statement with these 3 things in the goal. 

To make it easier for you I suggest that you start with " I want to... because....", the time frame usually will naturally insert itself.

This is something I need help with.  I have no idea what to expect, therefore any goal that I list would be like saying I want to get to the ocean while standing in the middle of the desert with a blindfold on and plugs in my ears. 

I’m familiar with a bike and I swam a good bit in High School (not competitive – I was a life guard).  I’m faster than most beginners and probably in better shape than most, but I’m still a rookie and self-admittedly clueless about training.  My Half- Marathon time is 1:30 and my full is 3:30.  I want to be faster.  Faster than what …. I don’t know.  I do know that I don’t want to “just finish”  Anything I do, I want to be competitive.  Not saying I want to place, but be competitive.  Suggestions?

Hello Dustin,

1:30 for a half; you are most definitly in much better shape than most!

Joe Frill talks a lot about setting goals in his book "The Triathlete Training Bible".

His priciples for setting goals are:

1) Your goal must be measurable

2) Your goal must be under your control (e.g. saying "I want to win my age group", seems like a good goal, but what do you do if a bunch of genetic freaks à la Chrissie Wellington are turning up?)

3) Your goal must stretch you (but don't confuse goals with dreams - If I said " I would like to run a half in 1:30", this would rather be a dream than a goal)

4) Your goal must be stated in the positive.

Hope that helps a little bit!

Take care

YouYou

Thanks for the advice, YouYou.  Btw, what is the story behind your handle? 

I’ve set some goals based on a conglomeration of my current fitness level, a friend’s recent race times and the prior year race results for the first event I want to compete in this year. 

The Grandman Triathlon on June 5, in Fairhope, AL.  “Right near da beach, boyeee…lotta mercy” – Mr. Nice Guy   That’s a Half-baked reference for those of you slow on the uptake.

My Goal:  I want to finish the Grandman Triathlon on June 5th in a time no greater than 75 min. to place in the top 5 in my age group, because it is the first step toward my ultimate goal of being an ironman.  Approximate splits are 8min swim, 46 min bike, and 20min. run. 

The Disney Marathon is in 12 days.  My main goal for that weekend is for Alabama to win the National Title.  Priorities first.  My second goal for this one is to just enjoy it and remain injury free.  I’m not trying to pr so anything sub 3:45 will be acceptable to me.  If I feel good at the half way point, I may increase my splits a little and see how my body responds. 

Hey Dustin... Good luck at Disney Marathon.  Sorry, it has taken so long for me to post to you.... for the record, I don't recommend anyone get the chickenpox! 

I also think your Grandman triathlon goals seem really doable.   Before I came down with the Chickenpox I was going to make sure that your saw the triathlon and race predictor links I posted on a response to YouYou.  Here they are again... in case you didn't see them, but it looks like you have it under control!

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/trainingcalculator    This may be helpful.  If you don't have a resent race result, go out to the track and run 1 mile as fast as you can. Fill in the results and hit calculate and it will give you the projected time that you should be able to run several distances in...also look at the tabs at the top of the calculated results and it will tell you about what training pace your different kinds of runs should be.  Play around with the calculator and get familiar with how fast you need to be able to run an all out mile in order to achieve your goals.

http://www.triathloncalculator.com/  I am always amazed at how accurate this calculator is.  You will need to do a couple of tests for this to work.
At the pool do a 400yd time trial. 
Do a 20minute bike time trial on a flat unaided course on a calm day.  You are looking for your average speed or your average power.
If you have a recent 5k race result you can use that for the run information, if you do not then you can use the 1 mile test and the runnersworld calculator to estimate the 5k result.
Enter the race distance information, the feet gain of the bike and if the run is flat or hilly.
Enter your projected weekly training volume. 
This calculator returns a  pretty accurate estimation of your race splits.  Even better it will give you estimates of what your training paces should be if you are not using a HR monitor.  I use this to help me set training volume goals for my goal time.

Rochelle
2010-01-03 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2575631

User image

Mammoth Lakes
vickaiser - 2009-12-23 11:52 AM My #1 goal for for the next 5 months is to get to 220 pounds by my next anniversary.  My wife and I both have decided to get healthy and to turn our lives around for our kids and for ourselves.  I've lost ~90 pounds so far and my wife has lost 60.  I'm currently at 278 so I have 58 more to lose by May.

Exercise (mainly running) has played an important role in my weightless success.  I want to keep that going with a new challenge.  I want to complete my first Olympic Triathlon in April of next year because they say I shouldn't be able to do that at my weight.  I really enjoy doing challenging things and it motivates me in my eating and my weightless.

CONGRATULATIONS on your very inspiring weight loss and motivational goals.  I love it when people say "because I shouldn't be able to"  Keep up the good work and don't forget your goggles next time you go to the gym!

Rochelle
2010-01-03 10:51 PM
in reply to: #2578575

User image

Mammoth Lakes
spyguy7540 - 2009-12-26 8:27 PM I hope everyone had a great holiday. I am back from the in-laws and am looking forward to digging into my training. As for goals- I have always been a huge fan of having them so I had taken some time a few weeks ago to establish them. I have Daily goals, a 90 day goal, a one year goal and an ulitmate goal down on paper. So when asked to state a goal I will just share what I already have down.

Daily Goals-
I will eat 5 balanced "clean" meals a day because this will properly fuel my training.
I will stay within my limits for refined sugars and saturated fats because this will improve my body composition.
I will get up early enough to get my training in before work so I don't miss time with my family in the evening.

90 day goal-
I will fit comfortably into a size 32' waist and comfortably swim 1/3 of a mile because this will help my confidence level going into my first race of the season.

1 year goal-
I will reach 16% body fat and complete and Olympic Distance Triathlon because this will keep me on track to reach my ultimate goal.

Ultimate goal-
I will weight between 200 and 210 lbs at 12% body fat and complete and Iron man Triathlon because I can.

That's my goals as of now. But if I want to stick to my daily goal of getting up to train I need to go to bed.

Night all!

Andrew, you are living proof that clear goals for both the short term and long term really make a difference.  Congratulations on your past weight loss success!
2010-01-03 11:02 PM
in reply to: #2590703

User image

Mammoth Lakes
karen26.2 - 2010-01-03 10:23 AM Trying to motivate myself to get out side for a run.  It was 17 degrees with wind chill factor of I don't know what this morning.  It's now made it's way into the 20's.  Brr!

I am re-joining the land of the living!!!!!

Yesterday, I did my first work out all week. I ventured out and did a 4 hour bike with a 9 mile climb and 3500' of gain, I followed this with a 20 minute brick at 7  min pace.    Then I went back to bed...

Today, I feel pretty good, I was out of bed all day!  I did a 90 minute run in HR zone 1-2.  I am happy with 7:40 pace considering it was a rolling course and at 4,800'.  

After several weeks of Cold Winds, I am excited to report that the Sunny California High Sierras are hitting highs in the 50's!!!!  I hope everyone is safe when out there training in the cold.  Remember not to do anything hard in sub 20 weather, you can burn your lungs.  Go easy or go indoors if you can.

Rochelle
2010-01-04 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Root canal done!  Gotta get a crown tomorrow, and the tooth will be back to normal.

It's looking like it'll be in the 20s for my half marathon this weekend.  In Mississippi that might as well feel like the dawn of a new Ice Age.  It was close to 70 degrees for this race last year.

Edited by sesh 2010-01-04 11:18 AM

2010-01-04 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2592429

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
sesh - 2010-01-04 11:56 AM

Root canal done!  Gotta get a crown tomorrow, and the tooth will be back to normal.

It's looking like it'll be in the 20s for my half marathon this weekend.  In Mississippi that might as well feel like the dawn of a new Ice Age.  It was close to 70 degrees for this race last year.

Down to the 20's huh?  Do you know what you're going to wear yet?  Layers?  Good luck out there, you'll do great!
2010-01-04 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2592429

sesh - 2010-01-04 10:56 AM

Good luck! Have a great race!
2010-01-04 10:12 PM

User image

New user

Yesterday went to the pool to get a swim in before it got too late, I found out the pool isn't heated in the winter months. Man was  it cold!! So I went to the gym and ran 3miles. I'm beginning a training plan this week, I'm highly motivated and feel great about getting started. I went back to work today after having a sometime off and all I could think about was going to the gym and working out...
RAME
2010-01-05 6:10 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
I'm happy to report I made it back to Master's swimming this morning.  It was not pretty, but I got in the water and swam for an hour.  Back again Thursday!

RAME - pool not heated?  Did you get it and give up?  I can't stand getting into the pool even when it's heated.  It always feels so cold at first.  Not so bad one you get moving.  Today the outside temp here was about 17 degrees, and 5 degrees with wind chill factor, and it was so hard to not just stand by the pool in my fleece pants and jacket and watch all the fools in the water.  But I eventually let go of my jacket and pants and got in.
2010-01-05 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2596311

User image

Regular

karen26.2 - 2010-01-05 7:10 PM Today the outside temp here was about 17 degrees, and 5 degrees with wind chill factor, and it was so hard to not just stand by the pool in my fleece pants and jacket and watch all the fools in the water.  But I eventually let go of my jacket and pants and got in.

Are you swimming in an outside pool?

2010-01-05 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2596354

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
YouYou - 2010-01-05 7:33 PM

karen26.2 - 2010-01-05 7:10 PM Today the outside temp here was about 17 degrees, and 5 degrees with wind chill factor, and it was so hard to not just stand by the pool in my fleece pants and jacket and watch all the fools in the water.  But I eventually let go of my jacket and pants and got in.

Are you swimming in an outside pool?

No, but it's in an industrial type building so there's not much insulation.  The air in the building was cool.  Not 17 degrees, but still cold.  And one end of the pool is near an outside door, and it seemed to be leaking in cold air.  I'm just a whimp when it's really cold.
2010-01-06 4:01 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Back on page 2, we can't have that!

Heading to the gym for spin class followed by a short run.  It's still cold cold cold here.

Let's get this thread moving again!
2010-01-06 5:45 AM

User image

Regular

Hello,

If you are interested in some scientific reaging regarding running shoes (or if it is better to run barefoot):

http://www.pmrjournal.org/article/S1934-1482%2809%2901367-7/fulltext

Don't know if it is an easy read, as I have just read the summary in a German newspaper.

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-06 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Any body got some tips for a guy in Mississippi on how what to wear when the expected start time temp for a half marathon is 16 degrees?  It's gonna be the coldest I've ever run in, whether for an event or training.  I've got a pretty good idea of what I'll be wearing, but if any of you run in sub 20 temps regularly, let me have some tips.

The hardest part is going to be staying warm before the race, but I think I'll just layer up on garden size trash bags that I can just toss in a trash can when the race starts. 

2010-01-06 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2597344

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
sesh - 2010-01-06 10:14 AM

Any body got some tips for a guy in Mississippi on how what to wear when the expected start time temp for a half marathon is 16 degrees?  It's gonna be the coldest I've ever run in, whether for an event or training.  I've got a pretty good idea of what I'll be wearing, but if any of you run in sub 20 temps regularly, let me have some tips.

The hardest part is going to be staying warm before the race, but I think I'll just layer up on garden size trash bags that I can just toss in a trash can when the race starts. 

Wow, don't know what to tell you to wear.  Do you get hot running?  I usually heat up pretty quick, so I go with layers and then shed them as I go.  For races I will wear a couple of shirts like a short sleeve dri-fit, with a long sleeve dri-fit over, and then an old long sleeve cotton shirt that I got from a race and don't really care about.  As I heat up I will shed the cotton shirt and toss it.  (I was told once that wearing a cotton shirt over the dri-fit type shirts, keeps the warmth in, yet the dri-fit pulls the moisture out and the cotton absorbs it.  I do find it keeps me warm at the beginning and until I'm ready to get rid of it.)  Gloves would be a must, and maybe even a soft hat so you could cover your ears.  And tights is a given I think unless you want your legs to freeze!

Sorry, not much help.  But, I can't wait to hear about your race!

2010-01-06 7:11 PM

User image

Regular

sesh - 2010-01-06 10:14 AM

Bill,

Is this 16 degrees FAHRENHEIT or CELSIUS? I assumed that is Fahrenheit, which is -8, and, well, pretty cold :-)))

For my legs I would wear at least knickers, like:

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=34&product_id=1370885&outlet=

Maybe I would even wear long trousers.

For the upper body it gets a bit more tricky depending on the wind chill. The pre race idea to wear garbage bags is the way to go.

Then I would wear a base layer like:

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=30&product_id=1450016&outlet=

And a warm sweater with a bit of fleece inside.

Personally I would even add a vest like:

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&pc_id=45&product_id=1364786&outlet=

And of course gloves and a hat.

But that's just me. I have friends who would maybe overheat - but they are as well running 2 minutes faster per km!

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-07 12:54 AM
in reply to: #2596311

User image

New user

Actually, I got in up to my trunks and just couldn't take the plunge. Im going to go to another pool and see what they charge for lap swimming. tomorrow I'm going to do my first swim on my training plan, 200 yards. The strength training is helping a lot and I'm feeling good.
Later...
RAME
2010-01-07 11:34 AM

User image

Mammoth Lakes
sesh - 2010-01-06 7:14 AM

OHHHHH Burrrr!!!

On cold race days I wear silk hat and gloves.  Silk is extremely warm, wind resistant plus it is light weight and stretchy and is great at wicking sweat away from you.  The gloves I got at a ski shop( their just a silk liner) the hat, I went to a fabric store and bought a swatch of silk for $3 and just sewed it into a tube.  If I do want to take them off, the hat is inexpensive enough to throw away and the gloves are small enough to shove in my tights or sleeves. 

BTW, I actually use the silk gloves for bike riding to.  They are great for around 30-50 degree rides or as liners on heavier gloves on sub freezing days. 

The garbage bag idea is a great idea!

sub 20 temps, I wouldn't be to concerned for wanting to take anything off even while running. Dress warm for the race and know that you are going to be happy you are wearing it during the race.

GOOD LUCK!!
2010-01-07 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2596903

User image

Mammoth Lakes
YouYou - 2010-01-06 3:45 AM

Hello,

If you are interested in some scientific reaging regarding running shoes (or if it is better to run barefoot):

http://www.pmrjournal.org/article/S1934-1482%2809%2901367-7/fulltext

Don't know if it is an easy read, as I have just read the summary in a German newspaper.

Take care

YouYou

It is a scientific paper but it is really interesting. There is a lot of support out there for not having high end shoes.

I read (actually listened) to Born To Run last summer and thought it was a great inspiration book as well as very informative about barefoot running, injuries etc..  Ironically, I bought a pair of the Vibrum Fivefingers just before reading the book. Which got me into doing a little running in them.  I walk around barefoot all the time anyway and I have a very smooth gate so I personally did not see/feel much difference in changing to barefoot running...But I could tell you it felt really weird to walk around the first month or so on asphalt and concrete and my toes where "tired".  But my husband, who literally cycles when he runs has seen a huge change in how he runs just from walking around in them, he also has had a decrease in hip flex or tightness, knee pain and hamstring aches.
I still run in running shoes though.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17