of 7

2010-01-19 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2579668

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED

Good Day to everyone,

We have a couple of topics of discussion to address so we'll go down the line.

Swim Breathing- It is not imperative that you bilateral breath and if you did not grow up a swimmer more than likely one side is more natural than the other. Practicing to bilateral breath is a good thing, but its not the end if you can't. As to breathing, like the swim stroke there is a timing to it. Go to swimsmooth.com and look at what they are showing in the animation, I can explain it but will be easier to see it and work on it at the pool. But make sure on your breathing your not holding your breath, you should be exhaling as you stroke through the water. Either by mouth or nose, most use the nose to exhale either way works. You want to have your lungs emptied for the next inhale, if you are holding your breath or not getting the exhale properly done and your still trying to exhale as you need to breath it is impossible to execute the stroke timing properly.

A couple of drills and it might be easier if you have fins on to do these. 1) Hands to your side with a light kick action you can do this on a count of 3-5 or whatever helps with timing. Work on hip and shoulder rotation the head will follow, don' lift the head your hips will sink. Just do some repeats of this motion and see if you can get the feel of the rotation and breath timing. Don't over rotate either you should be able to see someone standing on the side of the pool not looking at the roof of sky. 2) Now implementing the arms, you will go with a single arm leading for a count of 10 and then do a swim stroke to transition to the other side while you preform the breathing action. Keep the fins on and just go nice and easy, you'll know which side is your natural side, may take a some work to get the other side to feel as natural. 3) Bobs- we do this with our young novice swimmers have them hold onto the side of the pool and submerse their head just below the surface, breath out and raise up slightly and breath and repeat several times. Also helps in gaining an understanding on timing.

Also when watching the animation take note of the vertical forearm position, this is your paddle and you want to make every stroke as affective as possible. Capturing and holding as much of the water molecules as  possible for the longest amount of time.

CO2 is the simplist make sure you get the 16g size the smaller ones don't have enough CO2 to inflate a tube with one cartridge.

David message that area you found that is tender, make it hurt a little you've got to get that muscle tissue to relax.

Andrew you mentioned legs, I have a feeling your what me might call a tail dragger, try to work on your feet position toes should be pointing back not down, and try to develop a kick which will help in overall body position.

Sarah, good to hear from you. Since sprints are what your focused on working on your speed is very important. Even though your runs are only 5k or so you will still need to do some runs of 5-6 miles or more. And you can work in some track type workouts, 400's 800's repeats is the way to go. So your on the right train of thought. Same goes for your swimming, most sprints are 400-800 yards/meters in length. But your basic workout should be at least 1200-1500 regularly. Maybe up to 2000 is fine on occasion, hopefully your able to swim at least 3 times a week, we all should be doing that by the way. And in the same way as track repeats/intervals you will begin to implement some speed work. They can be sets like: 10x50, try swim these at about 80-85%, and give your self about .30-.45 seconds rest, 6x100 if 2:00 is your 100 time work on being able to do a set of these at 1:50 or better, .45 seconds rest.

So a workout might look like this:

400 warm up do some easy tempo swimming do some drills here as well.

2x200 at 2:00 per 100, working on setting the tempo for your workout

6x100 hold 1:45-1:50, leave on 2:30. At first this might be tough to make all of them but thats the intent. Or it could be easy and you need to adjust your times.

200 easy to finish

1600 yards

Let me know what you think on the swimming animation and any questions that might come to mind. 

2010-01-19 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hey Roy, 

That's a great animation, it seems to group all the important points.

Since I needed to focus on my swimming, I spent a lot of time watching videos on youtube (also a good source) but this one seems to group all the advices you can get from various videos, with the high elbow, hips rotation, catch, and all the rest.

Great source thanks for sharing that with us.

Tonight, rest for me, I doubled long days at work and hard training last week, I feel like having a breather today. Tomorrow, I'll try out the swim pads I bought following your advice...

H.  
2010-01-19 4:01 PM

New user
Ok, so I finally got my 200 time. It's 3:48. For some reason I was struggling in the pool today, but that should be a good starting point.
2010-01-19 6:50 PM

New user
Roy & all,

Great video at SwimSmooth! Thanks for passing this along Roy. I enjoyed the videos and will use the website more often. I did read about the drafting during the swim and at my last sprint in St. Paul last year I somehow managed to get right behind a swimmer after the halfway turn buoys and felt like I was swimming with less effort. Was it psychological? I don't know, but boy did it give me a lift and I felt like I was cruising into the swim exit. Does anyone else draft? What are your experiences / techniques?

My knee feels much better today. For my cardio workout yesterday I used an Elliptical trainer for 60 mins and felt some soreness,  but nothing like after a run. I also trained with weights.

I have CO2 and will keep that on hand as it is the most convenient. Today I did my Pilates workout and if the weather holds here in northern California I may swim. We are getting our share of poor weather now.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and advice! I am enjoying this forum very much.

David

Edited by dwarner63 2010-01-19 7:02 PM
2010-01-21 6:11 AM
in reply to: #2622605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

ocean4life - 2010-01-19 5:01 PM Ok, so I finally got my 200 time. It's 3:48. For some reason I was struggling in the pool today, but that should be a good starting point.

Thanks Justin for getting a time for me. How did you feel when you completed your swim, totally exhausted, very winded, etc. At what point did you really feel like your effort or ability to sustain the effort dropped off?  Take a look at the workout that is in my post from the other day. Give it a try and see how those times or adjusted a bit would fit for you.

2010-01-21 6:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good feedback on the swimmer animation. Great concept.

2010-01-21 12:11 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello Everyone, 

Yesterday I tried out my brand new swim pads, it's tough on the arms, but so cool once you remove them. Feels like you suddenly removed the brakes...(though I probably faster with than without). Anyway, good workout. 

H.  
2010-01-22 10:31 AM

New user
Herve -

I will be using the swim paddles this weekend so good feedback! I am also hoping to buy new running shoes as mine are really worn down.

I am hoping the rain here will subside this weekend so I can get out on the road. If not, I will have to spin indoors.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Cheers!

David
2010-01-22 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hello to everyone, hope the week has gone well. Herve and David, the paddles are a great assett and yes until you have used them a few times your arms will fatigue. Try to emphasize a complete stroke motion. Really trying to push the paddle past your hip to a full arm extension. This is where you will find the need to have good tricep strength it will be a bit harder than you think its going to be.

Hopefully I'll get in all 3 spors this weekend, time is tight but I'll give it my best shot. David I guess its your turn for bad weather. Spring is near so we have that to look forward to.

Talk to you all soon.

2010-01-24 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2625733

New user
tri/tbay - 2010-01-21 6:11 AM

ocean4life - 2010-01-19 5:01 PM Ok, so I finally got my 200 time. It's 3:48. For some reason I was struggling in the pool today, but that should be a good starting point.

Thanks Justin for getting a time for me. How did you feel when you completed your swim, totally exhausted, very winded, etc. At what point did you really feel like your effort or ability to sustain the effort dropped off?  Take a look at the workout that is in my post from the other day. Give it a try and see how those times or adjusted a bit would fit for you.

I was pretty winded. I struggled with the breathing more than anything after the first 100, so I'm sure it was just me not used to swimming at that pace.
2010-01-27 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Day to you all, thought I'd better get back to getting something on here and get us back on the first page. Justin thanks for the info. This is a good example of how the start of a race might go if you rush the start and get HR up to quickly and begin to struggle. It can really impact how the remainder of the day can go. But no worries there is plenty of time. Continue to work on your pacing thresholds to where a swim like this will become more comfortable. I see plenty of tri swimmers around town who are very comfortable at a single speed and can go forever like that but when the time comes for some speed the same thing happens. So keep at it still do your long swims, but begin to get more workouts with intervals. It will get easier.

The last few days have been pretty good for me training wise, I have gotten in some good workouts. Did an 11 mile run on Sunday AM, felt that one. First time over 6 miles since the marathon in December, so better get back into the habit of the longer runs more frequently.

February is just around the corner, everyon's first events should be selected and your working towards that.

2010-01-27 11:55 AM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello Everyone, 

I have a bit of a cold today, so won't be going swimming, but I also had a good training week last week. Went swimming four times and ran outdoors for the first time in a month or so, to do an honest 28:52 on 6K without really pushing. I think that we are seeing the end of the snow here, and it's just about time as I have a 16 weeks training plan starting in Feb...

Herve 
2010-01-27 7:15 PM

New user

Greetings All,

I hope everyone's training is going well. I have been taking it easy this past week and will be back at it soon. I am looking at some later season races and will have to make decisions as registrations often close early for the popular ones.

The weather is drying up here a bit so I hope to get a long ride in tomorrow. And, I did get some new running shoes I need to break in!

It is nice to read the other posts here and see what everyone is doing for workouts.

Cheers!

David

2010-01-28 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2638685

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hey David, glad you got some new shoes. What kind and why did they fit you to that shoe? Also try to paper enter as often as you can, it'll save you some money. Active.com is what most events use for registration but there is a processing fee, exampe it was $20.00 for my registration in the the Half Ironman at Disney. Many events also have a paper entry form that can be used.

If anyone is looking into doing an event, look at the event website and check last years or so results. Sometimes it will give a confidence boost to see where you might place and you'll also get an idea of the times for each distance. I know my first seasons events just knowing what was a general time really helped my mental preparation.

Have a good day.

2010-01-28 3:53 PM

New user

Greetings all -

I managed a 39 mile ride today as the weather is really decent. I managed some climbing on shorter hills so my legs are fried now. Speaking of climbing, I have another bike technical question. I am riding a Trek road bike with 3 rings on the front sprocket. I am eventuallt going to purchase a TT bike with only 2 rings. How much difference in climbing will I notice and will it be more difficult? Is there any particular gearing I should be training in order to make the transition or will I have to just get used to the new gearing?

The shoes are Asics GT 2150 and I was tested for my pressure points, filmed on treadmill and tried several pairs. The guy that worked with me is a distance runner and really took his time. The store was recommended by a tri club member here. I really feel comfortable in them and will let you know how my first run in them goes!

I hope everyone is doing well and training great!

David

Edited by dwarner63 2010-01-28 3:58 PM
2010-01-28 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2640918

New user
dwarner63 - 2010-01-28 3:53 PM

Greetings all -

I managed a 39 mile ride today as the weather is really decent. I managed some climbing on shorter hills so my legs are fried now. Speaking of climbing, I have another bike technical question. I am riding a Trek road bike with 3 rings on the front sprocket. I am eventuallt going to purchase a TT bike with only 2 rings. How much difference in climbing will I notice and will it be more difficult? Is there any particular gearing I should be training in order to make the transition or will I have to just get used to the new gearing?

It will be more difficult climbing on a TT specific bike because of the higher gearing. Just keep riding and you'll get used to it. Where I live there aren't that many flats just steep rolling hills, so it makes for a fun adventure.

2010-01-29 12:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Greetings,

David as Justin mentioned things will feel a bit different at first but you'll adjust. Even with your bike set up as it is now you probably don't get into the smallest chainring much if any. So going to a double won't be much of an adjustment. Standard set ups for gearing on a double are 53-39 front and 12-25 rear, that will be fine for rolling terrain. If you are riding where there are steeper grades and require some serious climbing you might consider going with at least a 12-27 on the rear, or even go with a compact front set up which is a 50-34 and leave the 12-25. Or you might find your climbing machine and can go with a higher gear set up than that say a 53-39x11-25. It will just take some experimentation, but go with a gear that will be conducive to where you ride and the events that you'll likely do in the future.

Looks like you got fitted well in your shoes, so have some fun and hopefully pain free running.

I'm hoping to get a good weekend of training, some rain coming in so might alter the bike plans for outdoor riding so we'll see. The trainer is always an option.

2010-01-29 5:36 PM

New user
Roy,

Thanks for the info and I think my hill machine is still sleeping...lol!

I got swim paddles and wow are my arms smoked. I swam a very short 30 minutes today and struggled to swim without stopping. I suppose it is a matter of getting comfortable with them.

Have a great training weekend everyone!

David
2010-01-30 1:57 AM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hello all,

I've been on business trip so not much training time this week. For your TT bike David, Roy said it all - nothing much to add.  There would be a difference if you were currently ridding a compact, or if you were ridding a 53-39 and chose a compact for you TT bike, which wouldn't make a lot of sense on a bike that is made to ride on flat (unless the ironman of Lanzarote is on your to do list). The one big difference is the position, which is more towards the front and lower; that will take you some getting used to - spending the extra money to get your new bike fitted to your dimension could save you a lot of fiddling around and potentially avoid some serious discomfort and/or injuries. Also, now is a good time to buy a new bike or saddle (like I did) as you will have time to log some Ks on it and get used to it, before you actually need it - so don't delay too much if you can afford it. What bike are you considering? (Felt has now some very well priced TT bikes, ready to ride and that look the part). 

On a different note, I did an interesting experiment I bought an issue of Triathlete Europe and one of Triathlete (US edition) trying to spot the differences while I was waiting for my plane. Here's what I found: there is a lot more emphasis on nutrition and (artificial) food supplements in the US version. For instance, EU edition you find an article on the benefits of (fresh) black berries, in the US edition various articles about nutrition including fresh but also about some miracle molecules. To be honest, I don't pay much attention to nutrition other than eating healthy, home cooked meals. I make sure that I eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day, prefers chicken or fish to red meat (with pleasure-related exceptions) and I avoid sugar like if it was drugs. I'm weighting 63kg for 1.70m (metric sorry) and I don't think I need to change much to my diet, except when training hard or before race day - but is it really so? and why this difference EU / US you think? 

I was going to log some outdoor running today, but guess what, it's snowing! So it will be cross trainer and cycling in the garage.  

Good (sporty) weekend, H.  
2010-01-30 11:14 AM

New user
Herve -

Yes, the FELT bike here is all over the place and I really like the way it looks. Of course, I will need to get fitted as you mentioned, but I ma really looking forward to a new ride.

As for the nutrition difference in the US / UK, you have to understand the American diet. We, not me of course, are very poor eaters, generally unhealthy, and as you know have an obesity issue so much of what you read in our our magazines focuses on healthy lifestyles. Now, one would think that athletes would kind of "get it" in terms of nutrition, but I am a prime example of needed more help to understand what my body needs and when. I, like you, eat very good and avaiod many of the culinary no-no's.

Have a great weekend and thanks for the input!

David
2010-01-30 6:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Interesting curiosity Herve, but good stuff. As David stated the eating habits and lack of excersize in our youth and society in general in the US is pretty bad. So I would guess that is the train of thought by the editors, and the fact that we are pretty well suckers for that kind of marketing!!!!!!! I was kind of thinking of this today while I was endulging in a meal that I would not regulary eat. But you know one of those I deserve it meals. Outback Steakhouse for lunch, a coke very rare for me, the usual loaf of bread, a blommin onion not good way to many wasted calories. Then the meal which most of it went into a to go box, 13oz steak, loaded baked potato and some excellent vegatables. Guilty the entire time I was eating but sometimes you just have to go there. But as the season gets going, won't go down that road much. I try to eat the right things that are regular grocery items. I've kind of gotten away from the specialty nutritional products( very expensive) and  just try to eat sensible diet and not over endulge. Whey protein is about the only item that I would regulary purchase, and  I like Cliff Bars.

Good swim today 3000yds, hopefully a bike ride in the morning before church. Theres a front coming through so we'll see.

Edited by tri/tbay 2010-01-30 6:34 PM

2010-01-31 2:31 AM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hi, 
I thought it be an interesting discussion. I was also thinking that it is an attempt at correcting generally bad eating habits  but also maybe that the approach of nutrition is more professional than what we know in Europe? 
Anyway, eat and guilt don't go well together. I personally eat healthy 85% of the time, the rest I consider as enjoying a good life
Now another question, I read an article about preparing for Kona (which eventually is my goal), they were saying that the triathlete looking for a slot is training between 15 and 30 hours a week, how much distance is it on a weekly basis 10/15K in the pool, 100K running, 300 cycling? something like that? Is it really so? how can one manage that, a job, and a family?  I understand that one has to build some millage corresponding to the distance you go after, but millage is not everything - I often prepare a 200k cycling race by training on 100 or shorter and doing the distance one or twice before the actual event - while it seems that a triathlete would have to do 3 times the distance on a weekly basis to make the cut. 
Looking forward to your thoughts on that one - Now going to the garage for some stationary exercise!

Good weekend, H.  
2010-02-01 11:11 AM

New user
Hi All -

My eating philosophy is, "everyting in moderation." I am like you Herve, I eat well balanced and nutritious meals 85% of the time. I do crave Big Macs about every 6 months and I told my spouse that when I finish a HIM, I want a big mac at the finish!

Herve, I will have to defer to Roy on your training question. I am swimming and biking today. The swim paddles are making for interesting workouts in the pool. I will be doing some hill climbing today on the bike!

Have a great week everyone!

David
2010-02-01 3:48 PM

User image

Regular
The Netherlands
Hi everyone, 

Quite pleased with swimming tonight - we had a timed session, I got under 10min on 500m for the first time in my life, with the 100m in 1:52, it starts to look like something - I hope I'm not at my best too early lol! In September when I did my first Sprint tri, I did the 500 in 15min, therefore I thought I deserved this blowing my own trumpet moment. 

And doubled pleased cause I felt some pain in the back of my leg Sunday while cycling, to the point where I had to stop, but it's gone (or at least I did not feel it a bit).

I'll try to do some running tomorrow but I expect to be working till about 22:00 so it might be tough.

Cheers, H.  
2010-02-01 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2645295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

HerveB - 2010-01-31 3:31 AM Hi, 

Now another question, I read an article about preparing for Kona (which eventually is my goal), they were saying that the triathlete looking for a slot is training between 15 and 30 hours a week, how much distance is it on a weekly basis 10/15K in the pool, 100K running, 300 cycling? something like that? Is it really so? how can one manage that, a job, and a family?  I understand that one has to build some millage corresponding to the distance you go after, but millage is not everything - I often prepare a 200k cycling race by training on 100 or shorter and doing the distance one or twice before the actual event - while it seems that a triathlete would have to do 3 times the distance on a weekly basis to make the cut. 
Looking forward to your thoughts on that one - Now going to the garage for some stationary exercise!

Good weekend, H.  

Well to begin with its is certainly a serious time committment. The hours of training per week you reference is probably right for ones given situation. If you hold a job, family other outside committments probably looking at the 15 hours per week scenario. This is where I really struggle with the thought of doing an IM, at this time there is no way to properly prepare, I can handle HIM training and thats about it. Herve as to your goal of Kona, you definitely have to make space in your calender, a very predictable job(hours per day very stable and predictable) have cleared your plate of other activities for 6 months to a year and  really dedicate to the training. You train in the morning, lunch break and evening. A Kilometer is .62 miles correct? I just want to make sure so when you reference K distance we are on the same page.

There are many plans available to train for an IM, I helped a guy with his swim a couple of years ago for IM Arizona, his plan was really bike/run emphasis and had to kind of laugh the swim was almost an afterthougt. Very specific info on bike run training, the swims was just a vague reference to distance and frequency. But he was swimming 3 times a week for the most part he wasn't a fast swimmer at all so to do a 90 minute workout was only to get him about 3000 yds. The plan topped out at 4000 yds, he did do a couple of straight 4000 yd swims before the event. Since you already train for cycling this is to your advantage, as I've learned and still not getting enough miles you really have to be able to get off the bike not fatigued and fresh enough to handle the marathon. So you have to ride several centuries and  do 500+ miles a month, and  your probably looking at 30-50 mile run weeks. I've read that a lot of people don't train to run the entire marathon so they undertrain on run mileage to some degree. But if qualifying is what its about, then walking the marathon is out of the question. Nutrition is really paramount for success at that distance and a balances lifestyle.

There is much more obviously but maybe some insight at the time required to get there.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7