BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-08 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2777625

Veteran
Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
stiga00 - 2010-04-08 2:09 PM Hope to get in my second run this week with my wife tonight.  last week of doing some walking.  next week will take the plunge into just jogging/running for 35 minutes two times with a 50 minute run/jog on the weekend.  Yeah!!!

saw you're doing Buck Hurley Tri, I will also do that one with a colleague!

2010-04-08 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2769357

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: Goals for next few months

Well, Here are my goals for the next few months.

Continue to workout 4-5 times per week. 

Figure out how to eat healthy for this madness.  ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.  SINCE I HAVE BEEN TRAINING I HAVE BEEN EATING EVERYTHING IN SIGHT. I NEED A SIMPLE PLAN WHERE I DON'T HAVE TO THINK TOO MUCH.

April - Akron University Sprint Tri
May- Youngstown YMCA Sprint Tri
June - Clays Park Sprint Tri

July - Columbus International Olympic Tri

Lose 20-25 pounds by July Olympic

?

2010-04-08 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
I think about Mr. Smooth every time I am in the pool.
2010-04-08 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2778571

User image

Expert
Raleigh
cjhild - 2010-04-08 7:01 PM I think about Mr. Smooth every time I am in the pool.

Mr Smooth just pisses me off. Nobody's perfect!

I'm running into a bit of a weird swim issue. I do my runs in the morning cause I can get the run in and be back to the house in time to help get the kids ready. Then I swim in the afternoon or evenings. Problem is, I tend to cramp up really bad during the swim on days I had a good run. Today I had to cut my swim short due to the cramps. It's obviously a hydration issue. I drink water all day, but this is a recurring problem. Would be nice if I could just do the swims in the morning and run at night, but thats not really an option. Guess I mujst perserevere (sp).

Suggestions?
2010-04-08 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2778589

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
titeloops

Mr Smooth just pisses me off.

LOL, agreed! 

Stomach cramps or elsewhere?
2010-04-08 7:20 PM
in reply to: #2778609

User image

Expert
Raleigh
cjhild - 2010-04-08 7:15 PM
titeloops

Mr Smooth just pisses me off.

LOL, agreed! 

Stomach cramps or elsewhere?

Legs. Feet and calves mostly. When thighs started cramping I quit.

2010-04-08 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
titeloops - 2010-04-08 8:09 PM
cjhild - 2010-04-08 7:01 PM I think about Mr. Smooth every time I am in the pool.

I'm running into a bit of a weird swim issue. I do my runs in the morning cause I can get the run in and be back to the house in time to help get the kids ready. Then I swim in the afternoon or evenings. Problem is, I tend to cramp up really bad during the swim on days I had a good run. Today I had to cut my swim short due to the cramps. It's obviously a hydration issue. I drink water all day, but this is a recurring problem. Would be nice if I could just do the swims in the morning and run at night, but thats not really an option. Guess I mujst perserevere (sp).

Suggestions?

I have had this problem when I've swam after a lift or run.  My swim coach swears it is hydration too.  He insists we bring a bottle of water to the pool with us every workout.  Drink as much as we can.  That's all I can suggest at this point.

I Agree, Mr. Smoothe pisses me off! Too perfect!  He's the Ken doll of triathlon, I wonder if he is anatomically correct? 
2010-04-08 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2778503

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Subject: RE: Goals for next few months
Tkimble01 - 2010-04-08 7:28 PM

Well, Here are my goals for the next few months.

Continue to workout 4-5 times per week. 

Figure out how to eat healthy for this madness.  ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.  SINCE I HAVE BEEN TRAINING I HAVE BEEN EATING EVERYTHING IN SIGHT. I NEED A SIMPLE PLAN WHERE I DON'T HAVE TO THINK TOO MUCH.

April - Akron University Sprint Tri
May- Youngstown YMCA Sprint Tri
June - Clays Park Sprint Tri

July - Columbus International Olympic Tri

Lose 20-25 pounds by July Olympic

?

I think we should start a Nutrition conversation in the morning.  I have an excercise I've been meaning to try, maybe we can all do it as a group.  I'll go over it tomorrow. I've got to go change out my rear tire so I can get out for a ride on the AM if the rain holds off.

-B

Edited by mchubri` 2010-04-08 8:03 PM
2010-04-08 8:30 PM

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
yeah chezz I am doing the buck hurley but only the small sprint they are doing.  I thought it would be good for practicing the transitions, I wish the bike was longer, 3 miles is kinda ridiculus but I just didn't feel ready for the regular sprint. 

Where are you open water swimming in NC?  I really need to find a place and had one set up but just found out that they are pushing it back until may 1st which is when my first real sprint is scheduled.  I just really need to try it before the race rolls around. 

Anyways it will be cool to put some faces with names!
2010-04-08 11:02 PM

So I think I'm being tested...as soon as I wrote that I was not going to freak about missing workouts, life is conspiring to put that theory to the test.  I figured since I had today off as well, I could fit in 3 workouts all thru the day.  Wrong!  I got the walk/run in that I wanted but I got hung up at the dentist in the afternoon so the bike ride I had planned was toast (and its not like I really ride very far or long either, 6 miles is my comfort zone) so all I had time to do was go around a few blocks after the walk/run.  Only nice thing about that is the tri I want to do is a reverse so at least I am getting used to riding my bike with tired legs, right?  I was planning on sneaking off to the gym to swim tonite but my cough is acting up and its almost 9pm and I am trying to go to bed at a decent hour and swimming just hypes me up.  An hour in the pool puts me home at 10:30 and will leave me up until 1 am or so.  I'm sitting here telling myself its ok to skip it, sleep is better, and besides I promised not to freak.

Let us know how your class goes Kevin, I've had the week off from mine for spring break and I'm ready to go back, I miss it.  Have you talked to your master about testing and coming in as a yellow belt?  That's actually what I did.  I still remembered alot of the basic kicks and the forms came back really fast so the instructor gave me 3 weeks to put it all together and let me enter as a yellow belt.  It was a little embarrassing tho, huffing and puffing through the warm ups and having a yellow belt.

So nutrition today was an epic fail.  Started off with a breakfast burrito after reading about them on here but I used 2 eggs, 1 tortilla, 2 pieces of bacon, and some mexican cheese.  I don't really think I built a healthy burrito.  Washed it down with orange juice.  No lunch but had 2 slices of pizza for dinner with some antipasto salad minus the meat (I don't like Italian deli meat) but lots of mozzarella cheese slices.  Can't have pizza without coke, so a large coke too.  Snackwise I had a cadbury egg, apparently not all the candy is gone yet but I'm trying my best to make it that way.  Going to try for a better day tomorrow, after all it can't be much worse.Embarassed

Weather is beautiful here in So Cal so I am planning to work and then head off to the barn, ride the ponay, and maybe get that swim in, my husband has overtime (cop) tomorrow night so we'll see if I can get off work in time and ride before I swim.  If I can't swim, than the kid and the dogs will go on a long walk with me and I'll swim Saturday night.  Trying to get miles in any way I can.

Have a good Friday!

Ronda
2010-04-08 11:42 PM
in reply to: #2778983

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Swimfreak17

not going to freak about missing workouts

I fall into this a lot.  Life gets so busy sometimes and something has to give, just try to hit the next workout.

here in So Cal

Where?  I am in the high desert, up from Palm Springs.

2010-04-09 12:06 AM
in reply to: #2779033

Where?  I am in the high desert, up from Palm Springs.

Hi Justin,

I am about 1 1/2 hours west of Palm Springs, in Corona.  So not too far away from you. 

Ronda
2010-04-09 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
I was cramping up also when I ran first then swam.  I made the change and began swimming first and hydrating while I swam.  I leave a bottle of gatoraide on the side of the pool.  Also it has helped me with the order of getting used to the swim before the run as in the actual tri.  I drink 2 gatoraides and at least one cup of coffee before I do a practice tri which is now two times per week.  I still suck at stretching and am paying for that.  i recently felt a tug in my calf that is nagging me.  Anyway try swithing the order.
Toom
2010-04-09 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2778691

Veteran
mchubri` - 2010-04-08 8:59 PM
titeloops - 2010-04-08 8:09 PM

Suggestions?

I have had this problem when I've swam after a lift or run.  My swim coach swears it is hydration too.  He insists we bring a bottle of water to the pool with us every workout.  Drink as much as we can.  That's all I can suggest at this point. 

could also be an electrolite issue.  depending on your sweat rate and run, you might be low on electrolite.  You hidrate back, but need to build those up again.  Try drinking a sports drink, or eating a banana and see how it goes
2010-04-09 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2778983

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Swimfreak17 - 2010-04-09 12:02 AM
Let us know how your class goes Kevin, I've had the week off from mine for spring break and I'm ready to go back, I miss it.  Have you talked to your master about testing and coming in as a yellow belt?  That's actually what I did.  I still remembered alot of the basic kicks and the forms came back really fast so the instructor gave me 3 weeks to put it all together and let me enter as a yellow belt.  It was a little embarrassing tho, huffing and puffing through the warm ups and having a yellow belt.

The class went well.  Grand Master was in an "ab" mood last night and I'm feeling it today.  I may talk with him about testing up to a yellow belt.  I just do not want to get into a position that I have a higher belt than my son, granted he has an 8 month head start though.  I wanted to get in a run after class, but they were testing about 20 students to go from yellow stripe to yellow belt.  That took quite a bit longer than I expected, mainly because I was not aware they were.

For the weekend, I am going to try to ride on the trainer tonight.  We have baseball practice tomorrow morning.  If the weather cooperates, I'll try to get in a run.  What about everyone else, what's on tap for this weekend?
2010-04-09 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2779390

User image

Expert
C-bus
Tkimble01 - 2010-04-09 8:49 AM  I drink 2 gatoraides and at least one cup of coffee before I do a practice tri which is now two times per week.  Toom

Wow!  2 practice tri's a week?  What distances are you doing?  That seems tough! 

BTW: where in OH are you located?  I'm in NW Columbus, but parents are in Cleveland...

Plans for the weekend-- 12 mile run Saturday, swim something on  Sunday... 

Today is d-day for deciding my distance for the Cleveland Tri.  My energy and goals say Oly, but the butterflies any my pocketbook say Sprint. 

How's this for weird, though... It just so happens that on May 1, the day of my half-mary, marks the beginning of an 8 week training program for a Sprint tri that I was going to do 6/26.  And the week of 6/26 begins an 8 week training program that could be for Oly.  Have the stars aligned???

I'm afraid that if I just do sprints, I'll burn out and/or get bored with the same training distances, etc.  If I do the Oly, I'll be pushing myself all summer instead of getting stagnant. 

why am I afraid of the Oly distance???  some of you are doing HIM or IMs!!!!!!!!

ACK!  Someone slap me!

2010-04-09 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2778769

Veteran

stiga00 - 2010-04-08 9:30 PM yeah chezz I am doing the buck hurley but only the small sprint they are doing.  I thought it would be good for practicing the transitions, I wish the bike was longer, 3 miles is kinda ridiculus but I just didn't feel ready for the regular sprint. 

Where are you open water swimming in NC?  I really need to find a place and had one set up but just found out that they are pushing it back until may 1st which is when my first real sprint is scheduled.  I just really need to try it before the race rolls around. 

Anyways it will be cool to put some faces with names!

To be honest, have only done it once, last saturday at Belew's lake.  There was an OWS clinic and I really struggled.  Could not exhale properly under water because of the cold, even with wetsuit on.  I did find out extremely helpful and it was an eye opener on where I improve my swimming.  So I am doing longer swim sets once I week now, hopefully build up to 1500 yds non stop.

They are having another clinic on May 8 http://www.triadtriteam.com/ for the ones doing the GSO tri on May 23rd.  I signed up for that but I may be travelling that weekend

look on the NC Forum, there was a thread on that.  Somebody posted this link and highly recommended it.  It has several dates so we could get a lot of practice.  Lake Jordan was an option too, but too far for me to get there by 6 pm on wednesdays

http://www.ymcacharlotte.org/lakenorman/programs/lnwaterfront/openwaterswim.aspx

2010-04-09 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Quite a few NC folks in this group. I'm in Raleigh.
2010-04-09 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2779524

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
My practice tris are either minis or sprint.  I do one on Saturday and one on either Monday or Tuesday.  The longer distance is 500 yd swim.  35 minute stationary bike and 3.1 mile run on the treadmill.  The shorter tri is 500 yd swim, 30 minute bike and  2 mile run.  They are totally indoor at the YMCA.
2010-04-09 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2779515

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
PS.  I am near Akron Ohio.  I may do the Cleveland tri also.  I am scheduled to do the Columbus Oly in July.  I have 3 sprints between now and then.  Maybe I will see you at the Cleveland.  you should look into the Columbus International July 25th.  The swim start is time-trial so there aren't 500 going in at once.  It will be one or two at a time every 3 - 5 seconds apart.  Plenty of time to get to the outside.  LOL.  It is at Atrim Park on the West side of Columbus. 
2010-04-09 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2779850

User image

Expert
C-bus
Tkimble01 - 2010-04-09 10:51 AM PS.  I am near Akron Ohio.  I may do the Cleveland tri also.  I am scheduled to do the Columbus Oly in July.  I have 3 sprints between now and then.  Maybe I will see you at the Cleveland.  you should look into the Columbus International July 25th.  The swim start is time-trial so there aren't 500 going in at once.  It will be one or two at a time every 3 - 5 seconds apart.  Plenty of time to get to the outside.  LOL.  It is at Atrim Park on the West side of Columbus. 

I've heard that Atrim has the best water for OWS in Columbus.  The set up will be similiar to Cleveland- you bike on the freeway... I'll look into that if Steve-O (hubby) doesn't bite on the one in Cincinnati (on the same date).  I'd only make Antrim a sprint, though... 

2010-04-09 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Celebrate with me!  I just met my first goal!!! 

I didn't whimp out!  I registered for the Oly in Cleveland!!!   Tom, are you in???
2010-04-09 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Hey guys, just wanted to check in.  I have a monster headache today So I'm not sure how active I will be.  From reading the latest posts, I really wish I lived in OH or NC so we could race together. 

Here is the nutritional excercise I am going to start to impliment for myself....

"Include with your training log a 1-10 scale for daily nutrition with 1 being a weekend in Vegas and a 10 being a nutritional angel. Rank yourself and monitor areas to improve. Most of us know what is good and bad eating so self seed yourself on this one."

Yesterday I was an 8 , went a little overboard on dinner portion.  And so far today I am working on a 9, but it is lunchtime and I'm not working out so that could mean trouble.  I'm leaning toward sushi w/ brown rice, edamame and seaweed salad.

Just another way to keep us in check. 

I think it may be time to purge our homes from the leftover cadbury eggs and other Easter treats, too tempting to have around! 

Edited by mchubri` 2010-04-09 11:34 AM
2010-04-09 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2780255

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
sungirl919 - 2010-04-09 9:27 AM Celebrate with me!  I just met my first goal!!! 

I didn't whimp out!  I registered for the Oly in Cleveland!!!   Tom, are you in???
YES!

Well done!  I was going to tell you that you should go big!

When is the race?
2010-04-09 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2780255

User image

Expert
NW NJ
sungirl919 - 2010-04-09 12:27 PM Celebrate with me!  I just met my first goal!!! 

NICE!  Now it is time to put the pedal to the metal! Congrats!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27